Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/22/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 22 Mar 90       Volume 8 : Issue  61

Today's Topics:
                      Aliens-sounds-various.hqx
                       Animal-house-various.hqx
                   enhancement request for postings
                     Expressionist 2.0 problems.
                      Grappler and IW LQ driver
                       Help with FoxBase needed
                        HP terminal emulation
            I need help with keyboard connection problems
                        Info-Mac Digest V8 #59
                        Info-Mac Digest V8 #60
                   In Search Of: screen font editor
                                Kermit
                            LaserFix.init
                             NCSA Telnet
                  Pascal formatter for MPW (InForm)
                            Pixmaps again
                        Removeable HardDrives
                          Screen brightening
   SetKeyboard XCMD - an updated ControlLock, allows key msgs in HC
                Shattered Crystals (After Dark Module)
                               StuffIt
               Think C, Book of the Month Computer Club
                       Thomas-dolby-sounds.hqx
                           Tops to Calcomp?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sat, 03 Mar 90 15:36:24 EDT
From: "Scott Cherkofsky (Crusader)" <LE865C%GWUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Aliens-sounds-various.hqx

THIS IS A SOUND FILE FOR THE SUMEX AIM ARCHIVES

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/aliens-various.hqx; 38K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 Mar 90 15:30:18 EDT
From: "Scott Cherkofsky (Crusader)" <LE865C%GWUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Animal-house-various.hqx

This is a sound file for the sumex aim Archives

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/animal-house-various.hqx; 91K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 09:13:58 -0600
From: Kurt Hirchert <hirchert@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: enhancement request for postings

In Info-Mac Digest V8 #59 Joe Garvey <garvey@cmic> writes:

>Without this information, all the work you've gone to could be lost because
>your posting can't be identified for what it is at a later date. The title
>line is 80 characters long, use it, please.

Not to be contrary, but many people access comp.binaries.mac and other Usenet
newsgroups through the notes interface.  Notes retains only 40 characters of
the subject, so please _don't_ make your subject longer than 40 characters
unless it is really necessary, and if you must, try to get the most important
information in the first 40 characters.
--
Kurt W. Hirchert     hirchert@ncsa.uiuc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 09:10:14 EST
From: 839::ffavata@28 (Fabio Favata)
Subject: Expressionist 2.0 problems.

	Regarding Expressionist 2.0, the DA version of the program does not work
with the Mac IIci. You can install it all right, but when you try to restart the
system you get some nice music and a sad, frozen, Mac. The stand alone version
seems to work OK.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 16:53:00 +0100
From: Pottie Karl <GHGAQBA%BLEKUL11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Grappler and IW LQ driver

Hi,

Is there anybody else out there who's having trouble using the
Imagewriter LQ driver v2.0in combination with the Grappler LQ ?
Please contact me.

Karl

GHGAQBA@BLEKUL11.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 17:37:10 CST
From: GR4486%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Jack Logan)
Subject: Help with FoxBase needed

Hi all,

I am new to FoxBase/Mac, but I have an urgent task that I can not "take
time" to figure out by my self.

I am working on a database which is composed with over two hundreds of
fields.  My supervisor asks me to do a report that would present
information cross fields. (To illustrate:  How many "X" in field 1 have
a correspondent "Y" in field 2 which have a correspondent "Z" in field
3?).  I do not know how to perform such a task because this is the first
time for me to deal with database applications on the Mac.

I have gone through most parts of the manuals.  The disappointing thing
is that none of the manuals was written in a task-oriented way.

I have no idea what the FoxBase is capable of.  But I am sure there are
experienced users out there.  So, please give me some feedback if you
are working or have worked with Fox.  I would appreciated any
assistance from you people.

Please send msg directly to me.

Thanks.   --Jack

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 90 22:18:11 EST
From: Bob Rahe <CES00661%UDELVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HP terminal emulation

Roger Marks, NIST, Boulder, CO. 303-497-3037" <MARKS@enh.nist.gov> asks:

    > Does anyone know of software that will emulate an HP
    > terminal? A VT100 emulator works fine for Unix [on a
    > Series 300 workstation]. But when you try running Basic,
    > the terminal can't handle the special characters used to
    > set up softkey menus and such on screen. I haven't been
    > able to find any terminal other than an HP brand that will
    > work, but I thought that maybe the software exists to let
    > a Mac do the job.

  Best I've seen/used is Walker, Richer, Quinn - Reflections for the
Macintosh.  It will emulate a 2392 and some other HP style terminals,
uncannily well, actually.  I've used it with an application on our
mainframe that does major terminal magic, and it has always been
flawless.  I think some of the newer versions will handle color and
other latest and greatest stuff.  Try this address - it's a little
old but I'm home...  2825 Eastlake Avenue East, Seattle Wash. 98102.
(206) 324 0350.

  Hope this helps,
       Bob

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 18:21:02 CST
From: GR4486%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Jack logan)
Subject: I need help with keyboard connection problems

Hi friends,

There was a posting about the bad connection problems with the standard
Mac keyboard.  My problem seems to be even worse.  Periodically the bad
connection shuts off the power for the Mac and eventually restart the computer.
I have no idea how often this happens but I have experienced at least 4 times
so far (from about a month ago).

I thought my Mac was infected by a strange virus that causes hardware crashes
(I mean, it's not a bomb msg, it ACTUALLY restart the Mac).  Then I found no
known virus on the HD.  And every time it happens, the keyboard becomes
disabled immediately after the Mac is restarted.  I have to unplug the keyboard
cable and reconnect it physically, to make it to work.

I would appreciate any help about this.

Thanks in advance.

--Jack <GR4486@SIUCVMB>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 11:33 CST
From: AEEVERETT%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #59

Garry Morris wrote in a request for a terminal emulator that would do more
than 24 lines.

We use VersaTerm here with great success on our Portrait display.  If you
need to get grapics from your host printed at LaserWriter resolution, try
VersaTerm PRO.  Mail order prices are good: $90 for VersaTerm, $175 for
VersaTerm PRO.

Good luck.

ps VersaTerm has many other features that we like, worth a try.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 23:19 PST
From: MDIEHR@hmcvax.claremont.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #60

STUFFIT is slower than UnStuffit DA.

On my SE/30, the UnStuffit DA is about 6 times faster at un-stuffing than
the Stuffit application.  Has anyone else noticed this? (Running single-finder)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 08:03:01 EST
From: ron_b@apollo.com
Subject: In Search Of: screen font editor

Hi there. After purchasing a DeskWriter a few months back, I've decided
I want to create (and edit) my own fonts. The DW can print with 4X screen
(bitmapped) fonts. What I need is a font editor. Shareware or PD is desireable
(like to check the features, etc.) or a reasonably priced commercial product
(in the $50 range) will do.  I had an old util (cerca 1985) called FONTastic
v2.7.1 (C) 1985 by Altsys Corporation, that I had on an old disk but the
file is corrupted (probably the medium). This util was, as I recall, exactly
what I'm now looking for in functionality. So, if anyone has any leads as to
where I could find *this* product, I'd be ever grateful.

Thanks for any help,

Ron

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 12:52 EST
From: <JK_APPLE%UNHH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Kermit

Hey all,

Gary Morris had asked for a variable length terminal emulator.  I am using
Kermit version 0.98(63) on a Mac IIcx and have as long a screen as I want.

Kermit lets you "pull and drag" the window length.

Try it out, it's FREE!!!!!

regards,
*       Joe Kazura      Apple Computer - Student Rep            *
*       The U.T.C.      14A Thompson Hall - UNH                 *
*       Durham, NH      03824-3547      (603) 862-1328          *
*       BITNET: JK_APPLEREP@UNHH        Applelink: ST0566       *
* Disclaimer - The Views Expressed Are MINE!! Not even Apple's  *

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 90 10:01:22 EST
From: "Anton R. Schep" <N410104%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: LaserFix.init

LaserFix is an init for those of you who print postscript files
to a disk. The init puts a checkbox in the Laserwriter dialog
box and upon checking the box you get a dialog box similar to
the one you get when saving files, i.e. it lets you name the
file anything you want (instead of the generic postscript0 etc)
and it lets you choose the folder where the postscript file will
be put. The init was written by David Sumner, who puts it in the
public domain.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/laser-fix.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 15:03:00 EDT
From: "Scott Cherkofsky (Crusader)" <LE865C%GWUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: NCSA Telnet

I have a freind that is running NSCA Telnet (SP?) to connect via Telnet
gateway (I think) to a Unix based mainframe at the university of Chicago
(Tank.Uchicago.edu).

He owns a Macintosh SE/30 and would like to know how he can upload Text
files  (stuffed/binhexed things) to his mainframe account using the FTP
Function of the program...  Niether of us can figure it out...  Is there
a way to do this???  please give me any information you can on how best to
upload files to his mainframe from his SE/30.

Thanx in advance for the help.

__________________________________________________________ Scott Cherkofsky
   "Only the insane have the strength enough to prosper.
    Only those that prosper truly judge what is sane."  -- W40K

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 90 15:45:29 CET
From: "Guenther Sawitzki, StatLab Heidelberg" <J40%DHDURZ1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Pascal formatter for MPW (InForm)

This is InForm, a formatter& analyzer for pascal programs, similar to Pasmat.

But in contrast to PasMat, InForm does not suppose that your program is
syntactically correct. So in contrast to PasMat, you can use InForm when
you really need it, not only after you have finished all.

InForm can operate on files or selections.

InForm is a MPW-Tool.

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/mpw-inform.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 14:45:29 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Pixmaps again

HELLO FOLKS. ITS ME AGAIN ON MY OLD QUESTION CONCERNING IMPORTING
IMAGE FILES.
MY SETUP CONSISTS OF 32 BIT QUICKDRAW, 8 MEG RAM, IICI, 80MEG HARDDISK,
RASTEROPS 224 AND 19" MONITOR, AND THE APPLE RGB CARD AND 13" MONITOR.
I AM WRITING A ROUTINE TO DISPLAY A SET OF IMAGES IN A FILE FORMAT
THAT IS NOT PICT, AND EACH IMAGE REQUIRES ITS OWN COLOR TABLE.
THE PROGRAM WORKS FINE WHEN BOTH MONITORS ARE IN 8BIT MODE. WHEN THE
224 IS IN 24-BIT MODE, THE PROGRAM BOMBS.
THE PROGRAM IMPORTS PIXMAPS USING THE OFFSCREEN TECHNIQUE IN TN 120.
THE COLOR TABLE WAS ALLOCATED AND READ IN AND ASSIGNED TO THE PIXMAP.
THIS IS FINE IN 8BIT BUT AS I DISCOVERED AFTER TWO WEEKS OF INTENSE
DEBUGGING, IT DOESN'T WORK IN 24BIT. I DID NOT USE SETENTRIES, THINKING
THAT THE 24BIT CARD WILL COPY EACH IMAGE WITH ITS OWN COLORS PROPERLY.
NOW I SOLVED THE PROBLEM TEMPORARILY BY NOT ASSIGNING THE COLOR TABLE,
AND USING SETENTRIES INSTEAD, WHICH MESSED UP THE APPLE CARD BUT WORKS
FINE FOR THE 224.
PLEASE, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO GET THE COLORS CORRECTLY
MATCHED WITHOUT USING SETENTRIES???
PLEAE REPLY DIRECTLY TO ISSTTH@NUSVM.
SORRY ABOUT THE UPPER CASE. THIS MESSAGE WAS TYPE ON AN IBM TERMINAL
WITH UPPERCASE ONLY MODE. WIERD.

(Please help me. I am desparate!!)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 17:38:41 EDT
From: Tim Waire <YI858C%GWUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Removeable HardDrives

Fellow MacPeople:

First a thanks to all who pointed out to me that Namer (an application that
allows for renaming AppleTalk devices on a network) is included on the
LaserWriter Installation disk that come with the printer.

Next question:
  - I am in the market for a 45MB removable hard drive and would like to hear
    the opinions of others who have either used these devices or read about
    them.  I am more interested in personal testimonials concerning speed,
    noise and reliability.  Anyone use these bad boys?????

Tim Waire

yi858c@gwuvm
sc159213@sparko.gwu.edu
Washington, D.C.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 10:23:06 EST
From: fulk@cs.rochester.edu
Subject: Screen brightening

A while ago I reported a problem with my Magnavox Professional monitor
brightening to the point of unreadability, then quickly dropping back
again.  I attributed the problem to M0ire, which I removed.  The problem
had apparently disappeared.

Unfortunately, the problem is back.  M0ire is still gone, so that is
not the problem.  The brightening occurs quite a bit less frequently
than it used to.  I am back to blaming the power company and/or
Magnavox until I get it solved, except for the following: When I leave
my monitor on, with the computer shut down, the screen never brightens.

I have a IIcx with a Rasterops 264 video card and a Magnavox Professional
monitor.

Mark Fulk
fulk@cs.rochester.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Mar 90 10:53:05 GMT
From: Nigel Perry <np@doc.imperial.ac.uk>
Subject: SetKeyboard XCMD - an updated ControlLock, allows key msgs in HC

This stack contains SetKeyboard XCMD an update to my ControlLock XCMD.
It allows keyboard messages to be generated in HyperCard. SetKeyboard
supports four modes: (a) locking the "control" key - this causes
"controlKey" messages to be sent for every non-command key hit, the
control key is locked even if your keyboard does not have one! [same
as ControlLock]; (b) mapping command-key combos to control-key combos
- this again causes "controlKey" messages to be sent [suggested by
Eric Kofoid]; (c) mapping the number pad keys 1 -> 9 into the function
keys 1 -> 9 - this causes "functionKey" messages to be sent; and (d)
which is simply (b) and (c) together. The XCMD is also supplied as an
FKEY in case you'd like to use it outside of HyperCard. Tested ONLY on
a Mac Plus/1Mb Sys 6.0.2, but should work on other Macs (ControlLock
did and its just an extension of the same code...).  Copyright, free
for non-commercial use. Enjoy!

---
Nigel Perry                                  Department of Computing
                                             Imperial College
Janet: np@uk.ac.ic.doc                       London
DARPA: np%uk.ac.ic.doc@ucl-cs                SW7
Uucp:  np@icdoc.UUCP, ukc!icdoc!np           England

[Archived as /info-mac/card/xcmd/set-keyboard.hqx; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 Mar 90 16:38:33 EST
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (William Perez)
Subject: Shattered Crystals (After Dark Module)

Here is another module for After Dark users.  This one displays random size
crystal shapes in different patters (and colors if you have it).
I found this on America Online.  UnBinHex and throw in your After Dark
folder.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>William Perez           <>  Internet:  perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu        <>
<>RPO 0043 POBox 5063     <>  GEnie:  W.PEREZ1                              <>
<>New Brunswick, NJ 08903 <>  America Online:  WilliWonka                   <>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

[Archived as /info-mac/util/after-dark-crystals.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 9:30:41 MST
From: Phill Magnuson <pmagnuso@hpbsrl.hp.com>
Subject: StuffIt

I am trying to obtain a copy of StuffIt for the Mac.
I have a copy of the files from sumex-aim.stanford.edu.
Either I am downloading these incorrectly or these files
have to be unstuffed, which presents a bootstrapping problem.
The files I have are:

ncsa-telnet-23-docs-part1.hqx
ncsa-telnet-23-docs-part2.hqx
ncsa-telnet-23-part1.hqx
ncsa-telnet-23-part2.hqx
stuffit-15-doc-part1.hqx
stuffit-15-doc-part2.hqx
stuffit-15-utilities-part1.hqx
stuffit-15-utilities-part2.hqx
stuffit-151-part1.hqx
stuffit-151-part2.hqx

I am first combining multiple part files into one file.
Then I convert the files with mcvert which seems to work
correctly.  I then download the files to the Mac using Reflections.
Reflections allows the file type and creator to be set.  One problem
may be setting these fields correctly.  The basic question
I have is:  Do these files include a version of Stuffit that can be
used directly, or are all of these files compressed using Stuffit.

I have tried to run both Stuffit and Binhex4 on the MAC.  Binhex4 was
obtained from sumex-aim and did not have to be put through mcvert.
Both of these result in a -39 error message when I try to run them.

Thanks for any help
Phill Magnuson
Hewlett Packard
pmagnuso@hpbsrl@hplabs
(208) 323-5004

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 17:27:46 EST
From: "Chris Khoury (Sari's Son)" <3XMQGAA%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Think C, Book of the Month Computer Club

     Hi, I have 2 URGENT questions. I intend to learn how to program in C. I de
ided on Think C 4.0 for obvious reasons. I need to know the phone # of Symantec
. I can order THINK C for $75, but want to know of what othe kind of discounts
they offer and on other info. Please respond ASAP. Also, if I bought THINK C, w
ould I need all of the inside Mac books? I understand they are being rewritten
for System 7.

     I got some info in the mail on  the Small Computer Book of the month club.
 You can order: The Fully Powered Mac, hands-on Excel, and Dr. Dobbs HyperTalk
handbook all for $4.95. I want to do this, but some of these books are a little
 out of date. The excel book is for version 2.0. Has anybody had any experience
 with this club? What kind of dicounts do you get? Can you get the Inside macs
for discount? Do they have a big, updated collection of books for the Mac?
                                    Thanks a bunch

     Please respond directly ASAP to:

| Christopher Khoury       |Bitnet: 3XMQGAA@CMUVM (Preferred)          |
| Disclaimer: All opinions |Internet: skhoury@postcard.engin.umich.edu |
| are mine, not my dad's.  |UUCP: hippo@bushido.uucp                   |

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 Mar 90 15:39:14 EDT
From: "Scott Cherkofsky (Crusader)" <LE865C%GWUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Thomas-dolby-sounds.hqx

THIS IS A SOUND FILE FOR THE SUMEX AIM ARCHIVES

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/thomas-dolby.hqx; 118K]

------------------------------

Date: TUE, 20 Mar 90 16:25:41 EST
From: "Marc Dionne" <TRRMICR%UQTR.UQuebec.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Tops to Calcomp?

We are using a TOPS LAN in our department. We want to send PICT, EPSF and/or
TIFF files from Macintoshes via the LAN to make use of a CALCOMP plotter
linked to the main computer in our university (a CYBER). We want to know if
there is a way to send these files by bypassing the mainframe ? OR, is it
possible to intercept the output on the Macs in the form of an ASCII file to
send this file to the plotter via the mainframe since the plotter understands
only ASCII ? Also, does anybody knows about a driver for the CALCOMP plotter,
like the one used for Hewlett-Packard or Houston families ?

Thanks in advance. If there is sufficient interest, I will summarize. Please
send all answers directly to me.

Marc Dionne
Service de l'informatique
Universite du Quebec a Trois-Rivieres