Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (03/23/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 22 Mar 90       Volume 8 : Issue  62

Today's Topics:
                                 ADSP
                           A HyperCard XCFN
                 America Online - The Saga Continues
                       Any Scanner Acessories?
                    Greek characters with accents
                 HyperBug.hqx - a hyperTalk debugger
                       Kermiting MacWord Files
              Mac86 info request and hard drive problems
                          molecular graphics
                       MultiFinder memory usage
             Neural network - Spinning Brain new release
                         PostScript Handling
                       printer recommendations
                      Printing Hypercard Fields
           Question for a MAC guru: problem with SFPGetFile
       Questions on: Giffer, DeskPict,SunDesk & Hushing a MacII
                           Time Calculator
                        VAXen as file servers.
                      Watch cursor and Macintalk
                      Weird Printing Requirement
                    Weird Printing Requirements II

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 16:09:48 EST
From: Martin Sonntag <mls@csmil.umich.edu>
Subject: ADSP

Anyone out there used an ADSP connection listener?  I'm having a bit of trouble
sorting out the relationship between the listener and the dspOpen / ocAccept rep
ly to connect requests.

I've used an ADSP connection listener. It's pretty easy.
At the listener end you do:
	dspCLInit
	dspCLListen
	[publish listener address using NBP]
at the other end you do:
	dspInit
	[look up the listener address using NBP]
	dspOpen/ocRequest
finally, at the listener, when you get a connection request, you do:
	dspInit
	dspOpen/ocAccept
	dspCLListen [for the next connection request]
This results in an opened connection separate from the
Listener.
The one thing to watch out for is the filter address.
Don't specify the listener's socket in the filter in
the dspOpen/ocRequest call, since the connection will
be opened on a new socket at the listener end.

		Martin Sonntag
		Cognitive Science & Machine Intelligence Lab
		University of Michigan
		mls@csmil.umich.edu
		313-747-4606

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 90 12:24 EDT
From: "Adam C. Engst" <PV9Y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: A HyperCard XCFN

This is a theoretically ubiquitous XFCN that does a bunch of things related
to the system environment (ie getFile, putFile, System Info, EjectDisk,
CreateFile, NewFolder, renameFile) all within one XFCN.  It is extremely
well set up, though as a disclaimer, I didn't write it or have anything to
do with it other than download it.     -Adam Engst

[Archived as /info-mac/card/xfcn/ubique.hqx; 75K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 10:30:20 MST
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: America Online - The Saga Continues

I recently posted a message about the problems I had with AOL from Canada.
I thought it was resolved after I had my account cancelled. Well, my VISA
bill just arrived and there is a rather large bill from AOL after they
promised that a nominal charge of around $10 would be charged for my FREE
use (and I use the word free very loosely). Now I have to go back on the
offensive and try to have this charge reversed.

Does anyone have a voice number for this company? The 800 line does not
work from Canada and I threw out all of the paperwork that came with the
software. I would even help if someone could tell me where they are located.
My VISA bill says Vienna - I assume that is somewhere in the US. If you
can help me, please respond. Thanks.

Bob Bolt                    |   Bitnet: BBOLT@UALTAVM
Instructional Tech Centre   |   CI$: 75410,2754
University of Alberta       |   AppleLink: BBOLT@UALTAVM.BITNET@DASNET#

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 14:51:29 PST
From: PUGH@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: Any Scanner Acessories?

I just got an Apple Scanner and i was looking into things to make it more
useful.  I see that Abaton has a $475 upgrade to 8 bits.  I have also heard of
a package of gels and software to do multipass color scanning.  Does anyone
have any information on this?  I also am interested in better software.  The
Applescan software does all right but it sucks when trying to make MacPaint
images.  I'm tempted to go back to my Thunderscanner.  ;^)  I've also got
OmniPage for text entry and it works quite well.  Any more pointers toward
Scanner accessories?

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 1990 10:45:54 CST
From: Steve Middlebrook <C94882SM%WUVMD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Greek characters with accents

>        I need a new Greek font.  I'm doing some writing and really need
>one that INCUDES ACCENTS, ETC.  Symbol is pretty, but does not.  Salamis+
>does but is truly ugly (not to mention I only have it  in 10 and 20 point)
>B.-B. (in the archive) is doubly useless because One has to use a control char
>(i mean key) to get the greek.

We had someone here with the same problem--wanting to do Greek language
stuff with a Greek symbol font that doesn't have the accents built in.
We got around it by using the formulae capabilities of Microsoft Word on
the Mac.  Word has some fairly nasty way of letting you put one character
on top of another, so we manually put the accents on top of the Greek
characters.  You can put the one or two accented letters you use most often
into the glossary, so it isn't that bad.  I think we used the accent marks
form another font family.  You might have to play with fonts and sizes to get
something that looks decent.

If you aren't using Word, I'm sure other word processors have the similar
capabilities.

Steve Middlebrook

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 90 12:21 EDT
From: "Adam C. Engst" <PV9Y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>
Subject: HyperBug.hqx - a hyperTalk debugger

This is a HyperCard stack that is a debugger for other HyperCard stacks.  You
can step through a script, set break points, and all that neat stuff.
Disclaimer: I didn't write it.      -Adam Engst

[Archived as /info-mac/card/hyper-bug.hqx; 42K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 14:10 EST
From: Eenie Meenie Minie Moe <M_CHEN%hvrford.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Kermiting MacWord Files

Dear Net,
     When I try to transfer a Microsoft Word 4.0 file to our VAX via
MacKermit (version .9(8)) and then bring it back, it loses it's Word
identity.  This happens whether I specify MacBinary OR Binary.  The
process I'm using does work with MacPaint files as well as
applications.  Does anyone know why this happens (or better yet) how
to fix it?

     Reply to me and I will forward to the net.
     Thanks,
                Michael Chen
                Haverford College
                Academic Computing
                M_CHEN@HVRFORD.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 19:06 EST
From: "Kirke B. Lawton" <LAWK_E75@db1.cc.rochester.edu>
Subject: Mac86 info request and hard drive problems

	I have two Mac concerns that I would appreciate advice on.
First off, does anyone have any experience with the Mac86 DOS
emulator made by Orange Micro?  I have the basic information, but
before forking out $500 I would like to hear from someone with
first-hand experience.  Please repond to me directly; I'll compile
and post relevent info.

	Also, I have a second-hand Nova 30 hard drive that I been
having problems with.  Strange things happen every few weeks or
so (e.g. the system folder gains 10 megs which remain after
all files are removed and then it can't be deleted.)  This probably
has something to do with the fact that the sector 0,0,0 is one
of the "damaged" sectors according to the initializing software.
Is this the problem?  Is there any software solution to this problem
(perhaps convincing the computer that a different sector is 0,0,0)?
Or am I looking at replacing the Seagate drive inside?

	Thanks in advance for help with either request.

Kirke B. Lawton

LAWK_E75 @ UORDBV.bitnet
LAWK_E75 @ db1.cc.rochester.edu

------------------------------

Date: 21 Mar 90 07:06:00 EST
From: "NRL::LIGHT1" <light1%nrl.decnet@ccf3.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: molecular graphics

Announcement:

A WORKSHOP ON DESKTOP MOLECULAR VISUALIZATION

'an exploration of the role of personal computers in
molecular modeling and graphics'

sponsored by the Molecular Graphics Society of the Americas

The limits of molecular modeling, graphics, presentation, and
molecular biology visualization on personal computers (i.e.
IBM PC's, Apple Macintosh, and the NeXT machine) will be explored.
The workshop will include invited speakers as well as contributed
talks, posters, and vendor displays.  Workshop proceedings and
demo software will be distributed on CD-ROM.

when: Aug. 23-25,1990 (right before the ACS meeting...)
where: Holiday Inn, Bethesda, MD.

If you are interested in attending or speaking please contact:

Dr. William R. Light, CoWashington D.C. 20375-5000
telephone: (202) 767 1154 arpanet: Light1@nrl3.nrl.navy.mil

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 12:15:15 EST
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: MultiFinder memory usage

   OK, Here's a stumper (at least for me...). First, system description:
SE/30, 2 meg RAM, System 6.0.4, MultiFinder 6.1b7.
   When booting under Finder, System takes up most (~95%) of a 600k memory
partition, as reported in the About Finder dialog box.
   Under MultiFinder, System take up most (~95% again) of a 746k memory
partition.
   All I did was reboot the machine twice and look at the About Finder info
each time. No applications were run after rebooting. All inits and DAs were
installed for both tests.
   Any suggestions as to the cause of this? Why does the System want an
extra 146k? This is really kicking use of MultiFinder in the tail. Run White
Knight and MS Word, and there's no room left for PrintMonitor! (I know, I
know, get more RAM. I know. I work for the Gov't. It just aint all that
easy)

tom c

                       Electric Armaments Division
      US Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center
                    Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5000
         ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil   BITNET: Tcora@DACTH01.BITNET
               UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 90 15:15:47 CET
From: "Guenther Sawitzki, StatLab Heidelberg" <J40%DHDURZ1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Neural network - Spinning Brain new release

Here is a new version of Spinning Brain, a neural network example used
for picture processing/retrieval.
Changes:
 Search algorithm: the neural net now always uses the complete memory.
     The last version had a facility to use only parts of the memory,
     which was confusing to some users.
 Observers: redone. added an observer for overlaps.
 Control: This version is able to do distributed computing (distributed
     asynchronous iterations, to be more specific) over a network of
     Macintoshes if the NetWork Processor software is installed in the
     the system folder.

For more on the underlying theory, see app/spinning-brain-theory.hqx,
which is still valid.

[Archived as /info-mac/spinning-brain-09.hqx; 88K
             /info-mac/spinning-brain-09-docs.hqx; 34K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 12:18 EST
From: AMHERASIMCHU%AMHERST.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: PostScript Handling

Hello Hackers!

Recently, we were working on a PageMaker document with an imported PostScript
border created in Adobe Illustrator 88 1.9.3 and tiff file.  The layout was an
invitation, and was placed four times on the page.  The end file was HUGE.
(About 3.5 megs.)

When trying to print the first time, the LaserWriter printed the document,
but it left out certain portions of the page.  Some of the borders were left
out, some text, etc.  It seemed as if there was too much information for the
LaserWriter to handle at once.

Then we went back into Illustrator and examined the border.  It was a
graphic that had been grouped five times over which created certain layers.
I selected all the elements and ungrouped everything five times until there
was no layer with any groups.  I then selected all the elements and did one
group.  We then saved this new version, nothing altered except now there was
only one layer of grouping.

When we re-imported this into PageMaker and printed.  Everything worked out
okay.  So here's my question:

        What happened?

I'd really like to know what's going with PostScript handling, if anything
at all.  Does grouping and ungrouping affect the way PostScript is handled?

Thanks for any help!

Andrei Herasimchuk

amherasimchu@amherst  (BITnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 15:01:58 EST
From: ksr!reg@uunet.uu.net
Subject: printer recommendations

Two weeks ago I asked for recommendations on a 300DPI printer for personal
use.  I only received four responses, but this is what I got:

	* Three (3) said go with the DeskWriter.  Goes for $1200 list,
	  but everyone said the "street" price was more like $700-$800.

	* One (1) said go with either the Qume Crystal-Print or the
	  Jasmine Direct print.  Price mentioned was about $3000.

The LaserClones are priced out of my range, and I was encouraged to hear
about the DeskWriter.  The cavaets were that it was an ink-jet printer and
(currently) uses water-soluable ink, and that it wasn't blindingly fast.
(300DPI "Best" mode is 1 PPM; 150DPI "Draft" mode is 2 PPM).  This is
acceptable for my needs.

Thanks to all for their responses.
					- reg
---
Rick Genter						reg@ksr.com
Kendall Square Research Corporation			(617) 895-9400 x483

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 12:22:53 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Printing Hypercard Fields

There is an xcmd or set of xcmds in the info-mac archives called
PrintField (I think) that does what you want, and very nicely, too.
I got it several months ago for a stack that I never finished,
so I'm rusty on the exact name.  Just paw around in /info-mac/card.

- -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - --
Joshua Yeidel                         YEIDEL@WSUVM1.BITNET
Academic Computing Services           YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
Washington State University           (509) 335-0441
Pullman, WA 99164-1226
DISCLAIMER: I'm speaking solely for myself here, not Washington State U.
-- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- -

------------------------------

Date: Wed 21 Mar 90 15:49:43-PDT
From: RGB Technology 556-0666 <SATRE@tecr.nosc.mil> (703)
Subject: Question for a MAC guru: problem with SFPGetFile

This is probably a shot in the dark, but I've got a problem with SFPGetFile
that is driving me nuts.  I've got the following line of code (THINK Pascal):

  SFPGetFile(pt, '', @RFFileFilter, 1, typeList, @RFHook, rfReply, 9000, Nil);

Here's the basic problem: whenever the number of files in the dialog
window exceeds the number which can be displayed, the last file is not
shown when I scroll down.  For example, the window holds 12 files and there
are 16 in the directory, but when I scroll down the 16th file is not shown.
I have confirmed (by putting debug write statements in the RFFileFilter
routine) that the 16th file *is* being seen and should be displayed (i.e.
the return value is FALSE ---> display it.).

I would be grateful to anyone who can provide a clue as to what is going
on.  BTW, I also tried changing @RFFileFilter to NIL (no filter proc) but
had the same results.

Please reply directly to SATRE@NOSC-TECR.ARPA.

-Steve Satre

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 08:08:02 PST
From: JMUELLER%PPC.MFENET@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: Questions on: Giffer, DeskPict,SunDesk & Hushing a MacII

Hello again from lovely Princeton,NJ!
The more I downloads, the more I wanna know.
Okay,
1) Having gained control of a MacII with standard Apple HiRes color monitor,
I wanted to spruce up my Desktop, like I did with MacPaint files on my SE.
using BackDrop (a fine piece of work). DeskPict sounded good as it said it
would keep the clut of the PICT in use. To make a long story shorter...
I couldn't get it to. Per INITinfo4.1 (good stuff!) I renamed both DeskPict
and cRGBinit with a leading !. Still NG. I had a Desktop looking like a
solarized poster from the Fillmore East (From where?...shut up... it's
before your time.) Am I doing something wrong? Oh, and the icon for cRGBinit
won't come up, even after BundAiding it. The DeskPict version in the archives
is V1.0. Is there a newer one to run with System 6.02 and 6.04?
2) Is Giffer1.06 (as mentioned in  INITinfo4.1) available anywhere besides
CompuServe (which we can't reach)? Is it a significant improvement over 1.03
which is in the archives?
3) Last year there was much discussion of hushing the TurboFan engine sound
of the original MacII. I recall the outcome was that there is a thermostat
(rheostat?) (both??) that will throttle down the fan when it isn't needed
(like never) and is a no-solder-pop-it-in-yourself improvement. Am I
remembering correctly? Is anyone still listenin...reading? Does anyone still
have the Digest around who can send me the info?
4) SunDesk. Oh what fun! Just call me Ted Turner!!
BUT (ah, you knew there was something coming)
after all this colorising and copying of ICN# numbers from the Desktop file,
will I need to do the re-numbering ALL OVER AGAIN when I rebuild the Desktop?
On second thought, DiskExpress should prevent the random renumbering while
rebuilding the Desktop... well I'd like to know anyway in case someone else
I tend to Command-Option-Boots his SunDesk icons away.
Oh, and I can't get either Stuffit or SunDesk Icons to appear in color, even
though I have the #s in the Desktop,and SunDesk_Icons ICN# and icl8 resources
matching for each. (That's the icon for the "SunDesk Icons" file that won't
come up in color, not the SunDesk icon... oh never mind) Curiously, though,
a few times when I booted up without SunDesk active (using INITcdev) the
SunDesk Icons icon WAS IN COLOR! AAAAAAAAAAAUGH!

It's alright... I'm better now.
OK. These are on a MacII, 4mbRAM, XP60 external, Systems 6.02 & 6.04 (with
 Blesser), GateKeeper1.1(& Aid1.0.1) Moire,Broadcast,Color Cursor, CPSDelete
Tracking, Facade, FWPurge, heirDA, Quickeys, RegisterName8, Scroll Limit,
SunDesk (obviously),SuperLaserSpool2.01, TOPS2.1, and Warning. Phew!
Oh what a giveaway! Now all the ShareWare authors I neglected to send
renumeration to will be banging on my electronic door. Oh, buggers.
I know! I won't sign this! HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!

zUELLER@PPC.MFEnet                      via MFEnet
JMUELLER%PPC.MFEnet@NMFECC.LLNL.GOV     via Internet
JMUELLER%PPC.MFEnet@LBL.Bitnet          via Bitnet
OOPS I SLIPPED!
oh buggers.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 90 11:06:26 PLT
From: Paul Brians <HRC$04%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Time Calculator

and seconds properly, I got a good deal of advice--mostly on how to use
various real calculators to achieve that end; but two people sent me
home-made time calculators.  This is the more elegant and complete of
the two, although as its creator notes, it would be better as a Desk
Accessory.  Anybody want to convert it?

[Archived as /info-mac/app/time-calculator.hqx; 20K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 14:17 CST
From: POST@admin.ripon.edu
Subject: VAXen as file servers.

Hi all!

In the tradition of 'why don't we break everything at the same time',
I am looking for possibilities for connecting a VAX 11/750 to our Mac
network as a file server.  I have various theories about to accomplish
this, but I'm looking for some practical opinions.  If anyone has this
configuration and can clue me into performance issues, connection
ideas, horror stories, et. al. please write to me at the below
address.  Thanks in advance!

Mike Post
Ripon College
POST@ADMIN.RIPON.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 11:54:04 CST
From: UC445252%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Watch cursor and Macintalk

It is easy to set the cursor to a watch when you are running a long task
(using LSP 2.0) but how do you signal the system to use the current wait cursor
(be it a spinning watch, fingers moving, hourglass, etc.)

A friend of mine, (who lost his account due to loss of attendance in class)
would like to do some VERY wierd stuff with Macintalk, can you pipe the output
>From macintalk to memory instead of the speaker? I suppose that this could be
accomplished by rerouting ALL sound manager output to a subroutine instead the
speaker but I havent a clue about how to do this.

P.S. Anyone interested in co-authoring a limited DA version of resedit? I would
     think this a powerful programming tool. (Please dont make me feel stupid
     by rubbing my nose in it if one exists... be tactful)

gre7g

            (this space intentionally left blank)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 09:50:01 EST
From: "Keith E Gatling  [315] 443-3285" <RSKEG%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Weird Printing Requirement

Another  response  to  Francis Taylor's  Weird  Printing  Requirement:

If you  don't want to use  FullWrite Professional, and are  willing to
fudge  around with  it,  you  can get  your  document  done in  either
WriteNow  or MS  Word  (I haven't  tried it  in  MacWrite II,  sorry).

What you  have to  do is to  set up your  main document  for landscape
mode with  two columns,  and then  enter all the  text exactly  as you
want  it. After  you've done  this,  you have  to make  sure that  all
paragraphs end at the bottom of  each column, because each column will
really  be a  separate page.  This  will require  some fudging  around
with. After saving  this document, you need to SAVE  AS to a different
filename and do the next steps on  this new document (just in case you
mess up, you still have the original to go back to).

In the new document you'll want  to manually move each "page" (column)
to the  position it will have  to be in  when you print out  the final
copies so that when you put them  all together and bind them the pages
will follow  properly. This  is no  small feat. It's  easy for  a four
page  (including   front  and   back  cover)  document   (see  below).

            -------------   -------------
            |     |     |   |     |     |
            |  B  |  F  |   |  1  |  2  |
            |     |     |   |     |     |
            -------------   -------------

It's a little tougher for an eight pager...

    -------------   -------------    -------------    -------------
    |     |     |   |     |     |    |     |     |    |     |     |
    |  B  |  F  |   |  1  |  6  |    |  5  |  2  |    |  3  |  4  |
    |     |     |   |     |     |    |     |     |    |     |     |
    -------------   -------------    -------------    -------------

And it  gets continually tougher from  then on. It's always  easier to
do your  pages in  multiples of  four, since  one sheet  will generate
four pages. Depending on  how long your manual is, you  may or may not
want to  try it  this way. I  did an eight  page wedding  program like
this and  it worked  out fine.  It may also  be possible  to set  up a
spreadsheet  to  give  you  the proper  numbering  sequence  for  each
column. I'll  have to try  that out...it would  make life a  whole lot
easier.

keg

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 10:42:49 EST
From: "Keith E Gatling  [315] 443-3285" <RSKEG%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Weird Printing Requirements II

I was right.  It is possible to create a spreadsheet that will tell you
which pages should go where.  Using Microsoft Excel, I did the following:

    1.   Decided to refer the "A" and "B" sides of a sheet of paper.
         Each side will have two pages printed on it.

    2.   Set up the following Spreadsheet...

         |A        |B        |C   |D        |E        |
      1  | A Side  |         |    |B Side   |         |
      2  | N       | 1       |    |=B2+1    |=A2-1    |
      3  |=A2-2    |=B2+2    |    |=D2+2    |=E2-2    |
         "Fill Down" from Row 3 in all five columns.

         N = the last page of the document.

Important notes:

    1.   Remember that you always have to use multiples of four.  This
         may mean that you end up with two blank pages at the end of your
         document.  That's okay.

    2.   Before you "Fill Down", take the total number of pages in the
         document, and divide by four.  That is the total number of rows
         deep you want the spreadsheet to be.  Therefore the sheet for
         an eight page document should be two rows deep.  One for a 12
         pager should be three rows, etc.

    3.   It helps if you have left, right, top, and bottom borders around
         all cells from row 2 and below in columns A, B, D, and E.  Column
         C is a space between the information for the two sides.

    4.   When you look at the spreadsheet you'll see exactly where each
         "page" should fall on each side of a sheet.  Always work across
         the row when figuring out how to layout your document.  Page one
         of the two column word processing document should correspond to
         cells A2 and B2.  Page two should correspond to D2 and E2.  Page
         three to A3 and B3, etc.

I hope this was helpful and not too confusing.

keg

End of Info-Mac Digest