Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/09/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun,  8 Apr 90       Volume 8 : Issue  72

Today's Topics:
                 Before Dark: After Dark Randomiser
                        Color QuickDraw and SE
                  Communication w/Developer's Stack
                        Diskettes and QUALITY!
                       How to make a palette ?
                       HP DeskWriter Cartridges
                   Info-Mac Digest V8 #67 (2 msgs)
                         Laser printer copies
                            Mac IIfx help
                           MaxAppleZoom 1.2
                           metamorphosis-10
                            Planet Update
                          Printing on IW II
                      Printing Postscript Files
                           Supertalk Query
                             TempOptil48
                   What math/stat package to buy ?
        What to do when getting "DISK NEEDS REPAIR" message...
                        Where can I get OSCAR?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indicies are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 90 19:31:58 AEST
From: johnr@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (John Rotenstein)
Subject: Before Dark: After Dark Randomiser
Before Dark
by John Rotenstein

Once upon a time, a great bunch of guys called "Berkeley Systems"
invented a great new screen saver.  And behold, it was called "After Dark".

These great guys have since been committed (!) to producing great upgrades
to their great product.  However, there's one upgrade that I felt was
missing from their latest release.

And here it is...

Before Dark is an INIT which selects a random After Dark effect on every
startup.  It's that simple.  It's that nice.

Needless to say, Before Dark is not a product of Berkeley Systems, so don't
blame them if anything goes wrong.

Before Dark is distributed under the HappiWare System:
IF YOU LIKE IT, REMEMBER TO SMILE!

But seriously, if you do like it, how about sending me a postcard from
your home town.  Is that too much to ask?

	John Rotenstein
	PO Box 165
	Double Bay, NSW 2028
	AUSTRALIA.

(P.S. Thanks to all those folks who have sent postcards for previous
      products! The 1,000 mark is soon approaching!)

[Archived as /info-mac/init/before-dark.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Apr 90 16:47 EDT
From: R. Mark Fleming <FLEMINGM%QUCDN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Color QuickDraw and SE

Color QuickDraw requires 68020 or 68030 CPU, so even if the SE has
256K ROM it still can not execute the new  Color QuickDraw code.
NOTE: Macintosh plus, Macintosh SE, and Macintosh Portable can NOT execute
      color quickdraw (unless they have an accelerator board, and the 256K
      ROMS).

Mark
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<=========================================>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Mark Fleming, Macintosh Support, Office Systems, Computing  & Communicat.
Services, Queen's University at Kingston, Phone: (613) 545-2039
Bitnet: FLEMINGM@QUCDN  or  Mark.Fleming@QueensU.CA    AppleLink: CDA0448
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<=========================================>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Apr 90 16:47:23 MDT
From: daspit%zodiac@ccnucb (John Daspit, C.U. LASP, (303)492-6951)
Subject: Communication w/Developer's Stack

Reply to Costell0@amstel.llnl.gov:
There is something called Developer's Stack which has comm port handlers
that should do what you want. If you can't find a copy in the archives let
me know and I'll send you mine. I haven't used it yet, but I will need to
do something very much like what you're doing very soon, so if you get it
working, I'd be VERY appreciative of any info (code?) you could give me.
I am working on a CD storage system carousel that will send  info via
binary characters. Thanks. John Daspit. DASPIT@COLOLASP. Univ. of Colorado.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 90 09:46:54 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com
Subject: Diskettes and QUALITY!

> I have to choose ONE brand of disk for our store to sell.
> The three brands we are considering are: 3M, SONY and TDK.

I have here a copy of the 1988 edition of Memcon Imagineering's quality
report on 3.5" floppy disks.  Memcon makes diskette-testing equipment,
and tested most of the brands on the market for about a dozen
characteristics (including all of the ANSI specifications).

The "Overall" summary that they derive for the three brands you list
says (briefly):

	TDK	Excellent
	Sony	Above average
	3M	Below average

There's a great deal of additional information in this report... it's
almost a tutorial on "What makes a good floppy disk."

This report is two years old, and its brand-quality ratings may or may not
reflect the current manufacturers' products.  You might wish to contact
Memcon Imagineering and see whether they have an updated version of this
study available.

Their corporate offices are in Omaha, Nebraska (+1 402 333 3100).  They
have an office in Scotts Valley, CA (+1 408 438 5930);  I believe
that's where I ordered a copy of the report from.  The report costs
somewhere between $10 and $15... and it's a good investment!

After reading Memcon's report, I would _never_ depend on Dysan, Wabash,
SKC, or Xidex diskettes!

Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:       coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,  ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

------------------------------

Date: 02 APR 90 16:58:27
From: P7DEA001%FRCIRP81.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: How to make a palette ?

    Hello,

Does one know how to make a palette with the Macintosh Toolbox, i.e. a
window which :
  - is always in the front of all the windows,
  - but is not the frontmost (the "active") window, in the sense defined by
    the window manager.
Anybody has an idea ??
                                                           Friendly yours,
                                                                     Martin.

[I've mostly seen this refered to as a ghost window, not a palette. Palettes
 (to a programmer) are used in Color QD to list the desired colors for a
 window. I've heard that System 7 may provide OS tools to make this
 easier. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 90 13:35 EST
From: "NAME L.G. LEDUC" <F1400004%LAUVAX01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HP DeskWriter Cartridges

I read recently in MacWeek that one can re-ink HP DeskWriter cartridges with
waterproof ink.  The article did not describe the procedure in detail and
advised anyone seeking to re-ink cartridges to consult with users who have
experience in re-inking cartridges. Does anyone out there have such
experience?  Please respond directly to me.

Leo G. Leduc
Department of Biology
Laurentian University
Sudbury, ONT
CANADA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 90 09:50:03 EDT
From: lti2!reg@lti.uucp (Rick Genter x18)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #67

> Question for a friend of mine with a Mac IIx.
> With version 6.02 System.

> When he tries to do a screen dump to his Immage Writer II
> with a Command+Shift+4 or is it a Command+Shift+3 whatever,
> the printer only does a form feed but there is nothing
> printed.

> Anyone with an answer?

> Thanks much,
> Ralph Durtschi, Electronics Dept. Idaho State University Vo-Tech.

Make sure your friend's monitor is in 2-color B&W mode.  Also, I don't think
Command-Shift-[34] work if you screen image is bigger than a MacPaint file
(8" x 10.5"?).  The System will "Landscape" your image if necessary to make
it fit.  This comes from experience with a IIx with a 14" color monitor and
an SE with a 19" B&W monitor.
					- reg
---
Rick Genter						reg%lti.uucp@bu-it.bu.edu
Language Technology, Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Apr 90 13:41:29 EDT
From: Garrett Fitzgerald <ST902620@brownvm.brown.edu>

I've got a question about NCSA Telnet that the documentation doesn't seem to
address. How do you connect to a specific port at a machine, using this? The
version of Telnet on the mainframe allows you to say "belch.berkeley.edu 2323,"
but typing this in the "Open Connection" dialog doesn't work.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Apr 90 14:06 CST
From: POST@admin.ripon.edu
Subject: Laser printer copies

I'm in need of a clue...

Does anyone know a way to limit the number of copies when printing?
We have a very open lab of Macs networked to one laser printer.
Charges for laser printed copies are on a cash and carry basis.
Unfortunately, it's too convenient to use the printer as a photo
copier using the number of copies in the print dialogue box.  We'd
like to limit this somehow and save wear and tear on the printer.  If
anyone has a notion, please write me directly.  Thanks!

Mike Post
POST@ADMIN.RIPON.EDU
Disclaimer:  This is me, not Ripon College.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 90 07:14:56 PDT
From: claris!drc@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Dennis Cohen)
Subject: Mac IIfx help

In comp.sys.mac.digest Dan LaSota writes:

>Hi Everyone.
>Here's a question: Does anyone know what the fx returns when a
>call to SysEnvirons is made in the field --> theWorld.machinetype ?
>So far the entire mac line has fit in the integers from -2 to 9.  I
>assumed that the fx would be a "10" but when I tested it out on a
>demo fx I was apparently wrong.
>There aren't any tech notes out on it yet so that's no good.

According to the 6.0.5 Installer file, the fx has a machinetype of
11 (eleven).  There is no machine numbered 10 which is referenced in
the Installer file, which implies that either there won't be a number
10 or that it just hasn't been announced yet.
--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Mar 90 08:33:27 +0900
From: David Elliott <dce@icky.sony.com>
Subject: MaxAppleZoom 1.2

This is version 1.2 of the MaxAppleZoom INIT, which makes the Mac II
screen larger by using all of the memory on the board.  This new version
fixes a problem with some screens that were getting the left side cut
off.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/max-apple-zoom-12.hqx; 47K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 90 03:08:32 PST
From: wiley!david@csvax.caltech.edu
Subject: metamorphosis-10

This is a demo version of Metamorphosis 1.0, from Altsys.
Metamorphosis converts Type-1 PostScript fonts into Fontographer
editable fonts, Type-3 fonts, Adobe-Illustrator-compatible EPS files.
This demo version converts only the digits 0-9 and the uppercase
consonants.  Enjoy.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/metamorphosis.hqx; 231K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 90 16:02:09 +0100
From: Lars Gislen <larsg@thep.lu.se>
Subject: Planet Update

I enclose a new version planet -31.hqx being an update to planet.hqx.
It fixes some bugs in the otiginal program and also makes it more user
friendly.

1. The program bombed if the default time difference between
UT and local time was larger than 9 hours or negative. This is now fixed

2. The program sometimes bombed on Mac+  when leaving the eclipse map.
This is now fixed.

3. The eclipse table computation is very time consuming on Mac+. It is now
normally shut off but can be switched on by checking the relevant item in
the Compute Menu.

4. The moon's phase is now also shown as an icon.

5. The moon eclipse display has been improved.

I am grateful to Dan Tomandl for comments on the program.

Lars Gislen     (larsg@thep.lu.se     THEPLG@SELDC52.BITNET)
Dept. of theoretical physics
Solvegatan 14, Lund University, SWEDEN

[Archived as /info-mac/app/planet-31.hqx; 93K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Apr 90 15:08:08 edt
From: Bruce_Kahn@dgc.mceo.dg.com
Subject: Printing on IW II

  Is it possible from within your own program to print text both
horizontally AND vertically using just normal toolbox calls?  I would
like to be able to print header information on a form and print a
couple words VERTICALLY along the upper right edge so the forms can
be scanned quickly by looking at the edge only (like on  customer
forms or patient records).  I didnt see any way to do this but then
again with 4-5 volumes to look thru, its possible I missed something.
I would also like to avoid having to convert the text to explicit QD
calls for lines and dots (ie to get an A, draw from bottom to top and
then to the other bottom, go back and draw the cross bar, etc).
  Thanks in advance.

                                   Bruce (KAHN@ADAM.DG.COM)

[This is not possible with standard QD. You'd think it would be possible with
 the System 7 outline fonts, but as far as I know it won't be. Too bad. You'll
 probably have to draw the text to an offscreen bitmap and do the bit rotation
 yourself. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Apr 90 09:33:21 EST
From: Alan Stein <STEIN%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Printing Postscript Files

  How can I print a Postscript file to a LaserWriter directly?

  I have access to a LaserWriter that is not networked to my Mac Plus.
I can create a Postscript file on my Mac, but when I use SneakerNet to
put that file on the other computer and try to print it, the original
application program opens.  I would like to be able to print the PostScript
file without needing to bring a copy of the application to the other
computer.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  |
University of Connecticut  | Compu$erve  71545,1500
32 Hillside Avenue         | GEnie       ah.stein
Waterbury, CT 06710        | SNET        (203) 757-1231

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 90 15:27:20 PDT
From: glennc@tybalt.caltech.edu (Glenn C. Smith)
Subject: Supertalk Query

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Building a SuperCard project I encountered the following problem. Since I can't
>have color in a button's *name*, I put a color graphic over it (setting its ink
>conveniently) - the button is transparent, I don't want its rect to show. Now
>when I run the project I no longer am able to click in that button. I tried the
>following script (on the graphic), which *works*, but lacks elegance:

>on mouseup
>get the mouseloc
>lock screen
>hide me -- hide the color graphic
>click at the mouseloc
>show me
>unlock screen
>end mouseup

>Would any of you hyper-super-talkers have any pointers on a more elegant
>solution?
>Thanks in advance.
>Joao

The best way to do this while still using two objects is with the "send"
command.

A script something like this in your graphic will work:

on mousup
     send mouseup to btn "the name of your button"
end mouseup

Good luck,
Glenn C. Smith                     glennc@tybalt.caltech.edu
Hypertalk Hacker                California Institute of Technology

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 90 10:09 MST
From: Paul Benjamin <Benjamin@system-m.phx.bull.com>
Subject: TempOptil48

A coworker continually finds files named TempOptil48 on his system.  It
ends up being a copy of a locked file that he has accessed and the icon
is that of whatever sort of file it was (Word, Excel, etc.)  He has a
IIcx running 6.0.4.  Any clues?

          Paul Benjamin
          Benjamin@SYSTEM-M.PHX.BULL.COM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 90 15:49 +0100
From: "Povl H. Pedersen" <ECO8941@ecostat.aau.dk>
Subject: What math/stat package to buy ?

I am currently looking for a program to plot large amount of data,
do curvefitting, trend analysis etc. It should also be able to do
so with (x,y) datasets, where the differences between the values
are irregular. I should be able to plot more datasets in the same graph,
and export it to MS Word 4.0 using either file or clipboard.

I have tried doing this in MS Excell 1.5, but it does not support
numeric labels on both axes. The horizontal axis is always considered
labeled with textual labels.

I am using a SE 2/20, which I will soon have upgraded to 4MB.

I have seen a demonstration of both Statview and JMP (from SAS
institute), and the latter seems much easier to use. But I could
not really decide if this is what I need, and it seems that I will
have to pay for lots of features I will never use.

Is there any low-cost products out there that can do the job ?

Mail me, and I will summarize.

| Povl H. Pedersen      |  InterNet address: ECO8941@ecostat.aau.dk    |
| Student               |  This is an old VAX 8650 computer (slow!)    |
| Dept. of Economics    |----------------------------------------------|
| Aarhus Universitet    | Own Hardware: Mac SE, 2MB + HD20             |
| DENMARK               | Interests: Macintosh, C,  boardgames         |
[ Why I don't keep things in the right order ?    I understand Chaos ! ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Apr 90 21:34:21 -0400
From: pfreund@grasp.cis.upenn.edu (George Pfreundshuh)
Subject: What to do when getting "DISK NEEDS REPAIR" message...

Perhaps someone in this newsgroup can give me advice on what do, given the
following problem:

	I've got lots of important files saved onto a 3.5in disk
	I don't use the disk frequently (i. e. once every 2 weeks).
	One day, I insert the disk into the Mac, and get the message
	"THE DISK so-and-so NEEDS MINOR REPAIRS. DO YOU WANT TO REPAIR
	IT ?", with the choices "OK" or "CANCEL".

Particulars: - the files are MacDrawII drawings
	     - the disk is a Kodak, double side, double density (8 months old)
	     - never had any problems with the disk before
	     - upon insertion into the Mac, rather then making the usual "hum",
	       a clicking noise is made

I'm afraid to click "OK", as I fear the possibility of loosing a few, or even
all of these precious files (It took me a *lot* of time to make those drawings)
So, is there a way to diagnose exactly what's wrong? Is there a better
alternative to clicking "OK" and hoping for the best?

All answers are much appreciated. Please respond via E-mail, as I do not
regularly read this newsgroup. Thanks,

George Pfreundschuh
pfreund@grasp.cis.upenn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 90 16:43:05 EST
From: SLCET-S <lab014@monmouth-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: Where can I get OSCAR?

		Hello!

 A bit ago I was asking about TOPS and one person gave me the name
of an Apple public domain program called OSCAR which would do many
of the same networking things as TOPS.

 Is OSCAR achieved anywhere on the Internet? (where?) or does one have to call
the Apple bulletin board directly (phone number? from the East coast this can be expensive!).

                        Thanks,
                                Chris

These opinions are mine alone and do not represent the U.S. Government
     Chris Braun                Internet:  lab014@monmouth-emh2.army.mil
     1LT, SC                               26.1.0.60
     ETDL                       AV 992-0473
     Fort Monmouth, NJ 07753    Comm: (201) 532-0473

End of Info-Mac Digest