Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (04/12/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 11 Apr 90       Volume 8 : Issue  74

Today's Topics:
      [Joel B Levin <levin@bbn.com>: The ZUC virus and SAM 2.0]
                       Any MUSICIANS out there?
                          DeskWriter/Deskjet
                      Developer's Sampler on ci?
                         Easy Envelopes+ 2.0
                  Edit application crashes on Mac II
                         Eschers_Bugs.Sit.Hqx
              Gatekeeper privileges for Disinfectant 1.7
                        Info-Mac Digest V8 #70
                It _is_ OK to 1 meg X 9 SIMMs in Macs
                             MacBooz 2.1
                                Moof!
                       More on APL for the Mac
                 Problems with Print Monitor Hanging
                           ResEdit Version
                Using a standard CD player as a CD-ROM
                 What Apple is trying to tell us....
                Where can I get Inside Macintosh set?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu, 5 Apr 90 20:09:47 ADT
From: Peter J Gergely <GERGELY@xx.drea.dnd.ca>
Subject: [Joel B Levin <levin@bbn.com>: The ZUC virus and SAM 2.0]

                ---------------

Date: 3 Apr 90 14:37:37-GMT
Subject: The ZUC virus and SAM 2.0
Sender: news@bbn.COM

SAM Intercept can also prevent infection by the ZUC virus (at least
version 2.0 with "standard" or higher protection turned on).  The
information below was provided by the author of SAM to the Virus-L
list and comp.virus.
- - - - -
For SAM 2.0 users:

A new virus has recently been discovered (now named ZUC). If you
happen to run across the ZUC with SAM 2.0, you can expect to see the
following.

1) If you are running in standard, advanced, or custom levels, SAM
will alert you to ZUC's attempt to change CODE resources within
applications when ZUC is trying to spread itself. Denying this attempt
with SAM keeps the infection from spreading.

2) If you have previously inoculated your applications with Virus
Clinic 2.0, then if ZUC has infected any files since inoculation (if,
for instance, you had SAM Intercept turned off or set to basic level),
then SAM will alert you to an inoculation discrepancy when you try to
launch the infected file.

3) SAM Virus Clinic will also alert you to a checksum change to any
infected files if you have turned on checksumming in the Virus Clinic
scans.

4) You can configure SAM (both Virus Clinic and Intercept) to find ZUC
during scans and application launches with the new virus definition
feature. Using the Add Virus Definition option in Virus Clinic, create
a new one with these fields:

     Virus Name:   ZUC
  Resource Type:   CODE
    Resource ID:   1
  Resource Size:   Any
  Search String:   4E56FF74A03641FA04D25290    (hexadecimal)
  String Offset:   Any

You can then add this definition to both Virus Clinic and SAM
Intercept.

One other note: SAM 2.0 also repairs files infected with multiple
viruses.

Paul Cozza
SAM Author
- - - - - -
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |  "There were sweetheart roses on Yancey Wilmerding's
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  bureau that morning.  Wide-eyed and distraught, she
POTS: (617)873-3463  |  stood with all her faculties rooted to the floor."

-------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Apr 90 03:54 PDT
From: Ron Webster                          <IC6JRHW@oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: Any MUSICIANS out there?

     If there are any musicians among the Macphiles out there,
particularly those of you who are using the Mac in your musical
activities, maybe you can help me.

     I have a two inquiries:

     First, I'm looking for music-notation/playback software.  I need
something that will generate publication quality output (as, say, from a
PostScript printer), handles all reasonable notation requirements (e.g.,
slurs, the various rest symbols, connecting staves, etc.), properly
alligns lyrics with their associated notes, has useful limits (e.g., will
handle at least small orchestral arrangements), and will play the scores
back through the Mac's internal speaker (within the voice limitations of
the particular Mac in use, of course).

     The last requirement above is crucial, because I frequently need to
travel while I'm working on a project, and lugging my Mac is burden enough
without also having to tote a synth with me.  MIDI control permitting
input from a keyboard and playback through a synthesizer would also be
nice, but the above requirements are more important.

     Any *hearty* recommendations?

     Second, a friend of mine has an E-mu Systems Emulator II+
"workstation" (combination sequencer, sampler, synthesizer).  He inherited
a number of program diskettes for the Emulator I, on standard 3-1/2" disks
(just like the Emulator II uses), but they are not compatible with the
Emulator II (apparently the music industry does not believe in upward
compatibility).

     If anyone knows a way to convert Emulator I programs to Emulator II
format, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Ron Webster
-------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Apr 90 16:48:25 CDT
From: Graeme <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: DeskWriter/Deskjet

Thanks to all those who responded to my query about the DeskWriter/DeskJet
choice, particularly Steven Miller of HP. The DeskWriter is 1.5 to 2 times
as fast as the DJ+, is more user-friendly and comes with the promise of
future driver upgrades from HP for free. Pretty conclusive.

Graeme Forbes

PS: The May MacWorld advertises the DW for $739 from MacProducts USA,
512-343-9441 (see p. 502). Anyone know anything about this company?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Apr 1990 09:08-EDT
From: Bruce.Horn@vlsi.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Developer's Sampler on ci?

I have a Mac IIci, running the Apple color monitor on the internal
video.  I'm frustrated that many (if not all) of the color demos on the
Developer's Sampler CD do not recognize the fact that I have a color
monitor, presumably because whatever code is checking uses some other
mechanism than, say, the Monitors CDEV does.  (I haven't decided to
grovel around in Macsbug yet, on the hope that someone already knows
what is going on).

Does anyone know of a way to fool the Developer's Sampler demos into
believing that I have a color monitor?

Any ideas appreciated.

	Bruce Horn
	blh@vlsi.cs.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 90 13:06:00 PST
From: claris!drc@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Dennis Cohen)
Subject: Easy Envelopes+ 2.0

Submitted at the request of the author.

Please distribute it anywhere and everywhere with this as the byline;

Named one of MacUser's top 200 products of 1989, Easy Envelopes keeps
on getting better!  This new version (2.0) is a complete rewrite with
many new features added and bugs fixed.  This elegant Desk Accessory
comes with a complete user's manual with graphics documenting Easy
Envelope Plus's features.  Here's a brief rundown on what Easy Envelopes
Plus can do:  Easy Envelopes Plus allows you to enter thousands address
into its rolodex which you can browse through, print out in any font,
size, style, justification, and color for letter perfect envelopes,
or search through. It also handles multiple return addresses, imports
>From QuickDEX and older version of Easy Envelopes, graphics for envelope
logos, any printer, mulitple envelope sizes, a scrolling notes field,
etc!!!  From Andrew Welch

[Archived as /info-mac/da/easy-envelopes-plus-20.hqx; 121K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  6-APR-1990 08:07 EDT
From: KUTOROFF%CLWADA.SAINET.MFENET@ccc.nmfecc.gov
Subject: Edit application crashes on Mac II

The application EDIT, which used to be the standard editor for program
development seems to consistantly crash my Mac II now that I have expanded
>From 2 to 5 Mb.  The computer is a Mac II, 68851 PMMU, 5 Mb memory, and
the Apple color adapter and screen.  (Ready for System 7.0)  Running system
6.02 with the SADE compatible version of MultiFinder.  Under MultiFinder
the screen goes blank and the computer ceases to respond to anything; under
UniFinder the screen gets diagonal lines and a color display similar to one
Mac+s used to produce along with buzzing noises on a crash.  No other program
or combination of them has ever done this to the computer.

Is this the end of using EDIT?  Not that it was a good program or anything,
but it did work and could be used for printing MPW programs on machines
without starting up MPW.  I see no reason to suspect the memory.(?)

Thanks to those on the net endorsing the Technology Works, I bought my memory
expansion from them.  The price and service were fine.

Steven Kutoroff                 Sience Applications International Corp.
Ada Software Division           (opinions above are mine and NOT those of SAIC)
Compuserve:  [71635,560]
Net:         kutoroff%clwada.sainet.mfenet@ccc.nmfecc.gov

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 90 18:12:20 -0800
From: haphip@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Jeffq)
Subject: Eschers_Bugs.Sit.Hqx

I have recieved quite a few requests for my Escher macpaint files, so I figured
it best to the public to put them somewhere accessable to all.  This is a print
I have had on my hard drive for quite some time now, M. C. Escher's 'Bugs'.
I'm sure it has a fancy name, but I don't have the time to look it up in my
books.  This is a macpaint file that has been stuffit-ed, and the binhexed.

This print is composed of a varity of staircases, with salamander-like creatures
defying the laws of gravity.

-Jeffq

[Archived as /info-mac/art/escher-bugs.hqx; 36K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Apr 90 20:47:10 MEZ
From: ONM010%DE0HRZ1A.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Gatekeeper privileges for Disinfectant 1.7

Forwarded reply from John Norstad to my question about Gatekeeper
privileges with Disinfectant 1.7:

Subject: Re:  Disinfectant 1.7 problem?

Stefan,

Disinfectant 1.7 does indeed require GateKeeper privs to scan files.  Earlier
versions only require privs when repairing files.  I didn't realize this until
after I had released 1.7, or I would have put it in the doc.

Just grant Disinfectant all six GateKeeper privs.  Then it should work fine.

John Norstad

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Apr 90 21:25:25 CDT
From: Andy Nulman <PL6AAIU@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #70

To: Karl Berg in Sweden,

I had a similarly nasy bout with the 80M internal Apple (Quantum-made OEM)
drive which came in my Se/30, purchased 9/89.

There was a batch of Quantum drives shipped to Apple with faulty lubricant
on the bearings.  The lubricant is not the correct viscosity, and depending
on the humidity/temperature, etc, your drive may or may not boot.

The experience you're going through is living hell. It was a problem for
many people (incl myself) who bought Apple 40M and 80M internal drives
in the past year.  Apple has finally acknowledged the problem, and notified
dealers.  They will replace any drive with this defect, at no cost, until
some date in 1991 which I can't remember offhand.

  If I were you, what I would do is: the next time your drive DOES manage to
boot, IMMEDIATELY do a full backup of all of your files.  Don't trust your
hard drive! Don't save anything important on it until you get it replaced.

  If you're drive's LED lights up when you try to boot it, and it takes more
than a few nerve-wracking seconds for the happy Mac startup face to come on,
your drive is borderline working.  My solution wasto run the air-conditioning
overnight, pray before I went to sleep, and allow the drive lubricant to
thicken overnight. BACKUP next morning!

  If the green (or red) drive LED light's when you power up, and you hear the
drive faltering, but it fails to boot up, here is my suggestion: order a copy
of SUM II file recovery utility if there are still essential files on the HD
which you don't have backups of. SUM II (and maybe also 1st Aid Kit Deluxe?)
will get those files for you, although you may have to re-furnish their
Creator and File types.

  Bring your drive to an Apple dealer, and makes sure they are aware of Apple's
special replacement policy before you sign it over to the dealer. My local
dealers were all ignorant of the policy, but I insisted that Apple would
honor the replacement. They confirmed this on AppleLink, and replaced it.

    Good luck, Karl, and toodle-doo to all you people who put fancy text
around your disclaimers.

------------------------------

Date: 06 Apr 90 06:19:30 CDT
From: TROCKLIN@primea.weeg.uiowa.edu
Subject: It _is_ OK to 1 meg X 9 SIMMs in Macs

A while back, I asked if it was OK to use 1 meg X 9 SIMMS in a Mac
SE/30.  I got several replies saying it _was_ OK, so long, of course,
as the chips are fast enough.  The student for whom I was asking now
has 4 1 X 8 SIMMS in one bank and 4 1 X 9 SIMMS in the other and it
all works perfectly.

(BTW- the speed of the chips is given in a suffix to the number
printed on the chip: 15=150 ns, 12=120 ns, 08=80 ns, etc)

Thanks to all who replied.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Mar 90 18:32:04 PST
From: aron@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts)
Subject: MacBooz 2.1

  This is MacBooz 2.1, an application which can extract files from
archives created by the 'zoo' archiver on MS-DOS, Amiga, UNIX, and
VMS systems, among others.

  Version 2.1 adds full MultiFinder compatibility, wildcard file
selection, and text file end-of-line conversion, as well as the
usual bug fixes from the previous release.

  Authored by Michael Niehaus (mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu).  The
following is a StuffIt archive.  MacBooz is a freely distributable,
copyrighted program.

Aron Roberts  Workstation Support Services . 219 Evans Hall
              University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
              aron@garnet.berkeley.edu . ucbvax!garnet!aron
              aron@ucbgarne.bitnet . (415) 642-5974

[Archived as /info-mac/util/macbooz-21.hqx; 27K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Apr 90 15:22 EDT
From: <HUTCHINS%ITHACA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Moof!

Thanks to all who replied to my query about the Disappearing
Dogcow.  I've received quite a few versions and I haven't
Binhexed any yet.  For those who have Phil & Dave's Excellent
CD (Apple's developer CD), you can read the Dogcow by doing
the following.  (I hope I'm not giving out any state secrets
here!)

1.  Go to the Tech Notes stack.
2.  Shift-option-click on Claris the Dogcow.
3.  Exit the movie while the Claris credit is still onscreen.
    (You'll hear FOOM!)
4.  Type twice:
    Claris the dogcow says Moof!

Thanks to ZBEN@UMD2 for the above.  If anyone would like a
Binhex of TN31, I'll be glad to send it to you or upload to
the archives.

Mike Hutchinson
Macintosh Systems Consultant
Ithaca College, Ithaca, New York
HUTCHINS@ITHACA.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Apr 90 08:58 EDT
From: FNELSON@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu
Subject: More on APL for the Mac

This is an update to my earlier posting.  I received the $150 version of
APL.68000 (no support for the math porcessor) and it seems to be completely
compatible with the $395 version.  I ran some informal tests and it
seems to be much faster than APL*Plus even without the math chip.

Gary Nelson
Oberlin College

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Apr 90 09:22:21 EDT
From: Jeff Solof <JSOLOF%MITVMC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Problems with Print Monitor Hanging

Has anyone heard of an incompatability between Print Monitor (i.e., background
printing under MultiFinder) and an an init such that the mac hangs when a print
job has been spooled?  I also got Bomb #12 under similar circumstances.  The
setup is a Mac II with 5 Meg memory, running System 6.0.3, and an otherwise
stable set of inits, including the AppleShare stuff, QuickMail, and MacTCP.

I have a similar setup which has all of the above except for AppleShare and
MacTCP, and have NEVER had a problem.

Thanks!

Jeff Solof
JSOLOF@MITVMC.BITNET
JSOLOF@MITVMC.MIT.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Apr 90 11:50:21 EDT
From: Robert Szarek <413077%UOTTAWA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ResEdit Version

I hear that a ResEdit 2.0b1 is coming ?

What I d like to know, is what is the most current version of ResEdit ?
I have version 1.3b2 with color support ( added-in color RSSCs temps )
, and its $12.50CND plus $10 fee to be listed with ATW ( Apple Technical
Warehouse ) in Toronto.

Rob Szarek
U of Ottawa

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Apr 90 15:05:31 GMT
From: Darrell Skinner <PMIDS%FRPOLY11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Summary: Roll-your-own CP-340 Disk & Conner 200 Meg Drive

   A little while ago I asked about the Conner CP-340 disk (for a "roll-
my-own" disk project), as well as the new 200 Meg Conner disk.  To
summarize the response:

   Several people reported favorably on the CP-340 itself.  It is/has
been used by Ehman and La Cie.  Most software will work to format and
initialize it (I think my own MicroNet software will work too).  Rich
Akerboom (boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu) told me how he assembled his:
the drive from Hamilton-Avnet, a big electronics distributor from whom
I've also bought in the past ($400 last summer, probably cheaper now),
and it came with a manual (an important consideration, I'm finding out);
and a La Cie case with Silverlining software from a dealer (about $180).
La Cie also sells the software alone for about $30-50.  He said the
"case is small and comes with a padded cordura carrying case" and "the
whole thing is about 1/4 the size of your average briefcase."

    For myself, I want to bring out an extension from the Mac power supply,
since my disk is to shuttle between two Mac IIs.  So I'll do without the
usual case and power supply.  My cables will eventually arrive, and when
I figure out the remaining problems ...

    In my posting I also asked about the new Conner 200 Meg drive, a mail
order house Hard Drives International which is advertising it, and the
UniMac Storware software they provide.  There have been various strong
attitudes/reports about the Hard Drives firm in these digests, I won't
repeat them.

    Brad Hathaway (bh11@andrew.cmu.edu) bought the UniMac Storware
software from MacWarehouse a few months ago for $69--the used drive he
intended to buy turned out not to work, but he tested Storware on the
the drive he wanted to replace and it worked fine.  Bob Kaynor sent
me the UniMac phone number (800-422-2115 or 415-581-3442) and said
it does do hard partitions.  So it should probably work for A/UX.

    Regarding the 200 meg drive, in an recent digest posting
> Subject: 200Mbyte Conners not sighted
> From: elroy!grian!alex@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Alex Pournelle)
reported that the CP-3200 drive isn't available in quantity greater
than samples.  He also said
> Great drive when you can get it.  Quite a technical marvel, too--16
> heads in a case about 2" tall!
Conner Peripherals ignored my inquiry about getting a technical
manual for my CP-340 :-(.  But, kind souls, they did mail glossy spec
sheets for their drives all the way to Paris.  The CP-3200F does seem a
marvel.  Only 1.63 in (4.1 cm) high, and they got their 212 meg
(formatted) with 4 disks, 8 heads and surfaces.  They manage that by
boosting the recording density 50% and the track density 70% higher
than in the CP-340.  Other specs:  16 msec average access, 64K RAM
buffer, 56 bit error correction code.

    There were some other technical marvels on their glossy spec sheets.
The CP-3040 (replacement for the CP-340?) uses the same high density
techniques to put 40 Meg on a single disk in a one inch thick, one lb
package (the CP-340 uses both sides of two disks, is 50% heavier and
thicker).  There are also a bunch of even tinier disks for PC portables
which aren't available with SCSI interfaces.  If I remember, Conner was
among the first, along with Newbury Data, to come out with small 40
Meg disks like the CP-340.  They seem to keep pushing the technology.

 *****    By erecting his theoretical system early in life, the     ******
 *  European feels he has Reality well in hand.  A hundred Europeans     *
 *  will give you a hundred different, contradictory, but personalized   *
 *****  versions.  [From "Understanding Europeans", Stuart Miller]  ******

Darrell Skinner  /  PMIDS@FRPOLY11.BITNET  /  Ecole Polytechnique   /  France

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  5 Apr 90 09:55:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Edward Joseph Bennett <eb1z+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Using a standard CD player as a CD-ROM

>I am using a Bang & Olufsen Beogram CD 3500 CD-player for playing
>music, I would like to know if it is possible to connect this to
>a MAC, using it as CD-ROM.
>
>All features of the CD player can be controled via a remotecontrol,
>which is received by the Beomaster 3500 receiver. This unit then passes
>all information on to the CD player through a wire. So it should be easy
>to control it from a MAC too. There is also a coaxial digital output for
>the signal.

>Is there anyone out there that can supply me with information on how
>to control a CD-ROM (communications protocol), and also information
>about the connections.

I don't know how to connect it but connecting and controlling it isn't
the problem. The difference between a CD player and a CD ROM drive is
the CD ROM is built for heavy duty use that is it can handle all the
seeking required that will wear a normal music CD player out very
quickly. If you want to use it just on ocassion you might get away with
it but heavy duty use will probably wear your CD player out and cause it
to die early.

I don't remember the actual tests but it was something like a CD ROM
drive could hold up to continuous seeking for an extended period of time
(I believe on the order of months) while most CD players tested under
continous seeking didn't last a day.

Ed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 90 07:31:52 +0200
From: ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman)
Subject: What Apple is trying to tell us....

  Here are some previews of coming Apple-attractions, as described
  in the invitational booklet for the 1990 Apple Worldwide Developers
  Conference, to be held in San Jose, CA, on May 7-11....  a month
  AFTER the MacWorld SF Exhibition.  Below are few selected, more
  juicy bits; those in quotes verbatim.  Each entry refers to a
  single session, though many more sessions are scheduled.  [My
  own comments like this].

  Monday, May 7th

  System Software Overview - 90min
    System 7.0 and its features.  `A prelude to more technical sessions
    and so important that no other competing sessions are scheduled'.

  Getting More from MPW - preview of an 'integrated help system that
    lets you slip straight to Inside Macintosh information without
    leaving the confines of the editor'.  [Mark the use of _confines_].

  Virtual User: An Automated Testing Tool -- 'simplifies testing of
    complex application software' (script-based).  [The Gorilla DA -
    the Real Bad Behaved Monkey DA ;-)]

  Tuesday, May 8th

  Interapplication Communications Overview -- a 6+3/4 hours' session.
    Whole IAC Architecture, 'for techies and marketers that will whet
    your appetite'. PPC Toolbox calls across AT networks.  Apple-
    Events[tm], AppleScript[tm], Edition Manager 'which allows your
    applications to share data dynamically with other applications'.
    Much more.

  Graphics File Formats -- the 'chance to see the new graphics file
    format that we're developing.  Learn why it's a better format for
    conveying and sharing graphics information among applications and
    how you can prepare for its debut'.  [Let's hope for one that is
    broadly PC- and X-Windows-compatible].

  N&C Event -- 90 minutes -- `Hear an announcement by our networking
    and communication people on a matter that is of importance to all
    developers'.  [Introducing the AppleTalk Telepathic Communications
    Superset, no doubt ;-)]

  Wednesday, May 9th

  Designing for Apple OS Independence -- 'Tired of rewriting
    applications with each new System version? Now you can learn design
    practices that will ensure that your applications run on Apple
    operating systems, current and future, including A/UX'

  Apple, The Interface and Everything -- 'Bruce Tognazzini, Apple's
    Human Interface Evangelist, will discuss the intergalactic
    importance of interface integrity.  In this context, the importance
    of the number "42" will also be discussed'.  [Smells of Ted Nelson's
    projected XANADU servers in orbit around Mars].

  Truth About TrueType -- '...we'll look at the variety and state of
    the art of the tools available for creating TrueType fonts'.
    [Tools?  What tools?  Where?]

  A Glimpse of the Future of the Macintosh Graphics -- 'see directions
    Apple is taking in graphics [...] a peek at new graphics
    capabilities as well as the integration of the line layout manager
    and new printing architecture'.

  Thursday, May 10th

  HyperCard Surprise - 135 minutes -- 'Shh! It's a surprise.  Don't
    miss it'.  [The long-promised Mr.Coffee interface, multiple cards on
    screen and the incrementally compiled HyperTalk II, the Sequel.  Not
    available until Boston in August.  The second longest session,
    after the IAC one].

  HyperTalk and New Debugging Tools -- 'see HT's latest commands and
    syntax additions, as well as demos and the use of new debugging
    tools'.

  Extended XCMD architecture -- 'we'll provide sample source code'

  Using the Help Manager in System 7.0 -- `Learn how to use and [..]
    incorporate its features into your applications'.

  Using the Alias Manager in System 7.0 -- `Overview and tutorial
    [...]; allows your applications to track the locations of files'.

  Friday, May 11th

  Macintosh OS vs. Everyone Else -- 60min -- 'We'll show you why we do
    what we do, how we do it and why we're ahead'

  So much the schedule.  We're also told that due to Apple's "doing
  their part for the environment" all conference materials will be
  distributed, for the first time, "on a compact disk", that all
  attendees will receive afterwards [video or CD-ROM? --if]. Could
  be Apple's way of telling us all to read-their-lips and get those
  Apple CD-ROM drives.  Audio and video tapes will also be available
  after the event though.

  General: a beautiful brochure; all insights gained at the conference
  fall under non-disclosure clause, "not to be used for any article or
  news story without the express permission of the Apple Corporation's
  Public Relations Departement"; US$ 195.- per day attendance fee; hotels
  from US$ 56-135/ single/ day; registration form offers choice of
  __Medium __Large __X-Large T-shirt and __Yes __No to vegetarian
  meals.  Also a mysterious "I checked in early gift" is mentioned,
  twice. Ie, no small-T-shirt-size, non-vegetarian, late check-ins
  need apply ;-))

--Ian Feldman  /  ianf%nada.kth.se@uunet.uu.net <--- the only safe route
              / "observe the emacs-style expression-dash-misuse"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Apr 90 20:47:00 PDT
From: palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer)
Subject: Where can I get Inside Macintosh set?