Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/04/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri,  4 May 90       Volume 8 : Issue  89

Today's Topics:

      (1) cdev ICONs   (2) note sequencer
      Boolean-search XCMDs
      comics, copyrights, and scanning into startup screens.
      Escher's Eye
      Export via clipboard from hypercard.
      Gemini 030 @ 25mhz
      HyperCard - buttons in a scrolling field
      Info request about the Ricoh 6000/PS printer
      mac-to-vms-print-com-doc
      Murph's VAPORWARE column for May '90
      need mouse button switch
      PaintJet driver for 32-bit Color QD (?)
      PS Previewer (?)
      Public domain images?
      ScreenSnap 2.2 (new version of Snap 2.1)
      Seeking "Klingon" font
      Sound Input Device: Is it worth it?
      THINK C, scanf(), & '881
      TidBITS - A HyperCard-based news journal.
      Toggler
      Unix Shell Archive for Mac?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 11:35:50 CDT
From: UC445252%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: (1) cdev ICONs   (2) note sequencer

Hey there dudes and dudettes,
First question: How do you show an ICON at startup with a cdev/INIT?
I cannot find the code, or guess it myself. It must be simple since everyone
does it, but I dont know where to look.

Second question: A friend of mine tells me that he imagines many mac users with
keyboards (musical that is) that are not interested in professional composing
would be interested in an inexpensive note sequencer (since professional class
ones run many hundreds of $). Before I would even considure writing one I must
know if anyone is even interested. Do any netters need such a thing? Do any
netters know such people? Does a SW or PD sequencer exist?

thanx! (pessimistic and insulting notes may be posted directly to me, I will
        summerize the optimistic and pleasant ones.)
gre7g  (sorry, no relation to Bo3b)

                 (this space intentionally left blank)

------------------------------

Date: 27 Apr 90 10:6:45
From: Kofoid <Kofoid.BIOL_FACULTY@bioscience.biology.utah.edu>
Subject: Boolean-search XCMDs

    Within the last year, I read a review on XCMDs and XFCNs which mentioned
two commercially available externals which do Boolean searches on stacks. One
was called XSearch, which makes me think it must be a port of the popular
Boolean-search algorithm found on many mainframes. I have completely forgotten
where I saw the article. I've scanned MacWorld back to Jan. of 1989 with no
luck.

    Can anyone help me with:

      i) The article itself;
     ii) The external commands referenced by the article; or,
    iii) Any other Boolean-search externals which might be available?

    Cheers,

    Eric.
|                          (801) 581-3592                          |
|  Snail: Eric Kofoid; Dept. Biology, U. of Utah; SLC, UT 84112    |
|   Fast: bi.kofoid%science@utahcca (BitNet)                       |
| Faster: bi.kofoid@science.utah.edu (InterNet)                    |
|Fastest: kofoid@bioscience.utah.edu (InterNet -> QuickMail)       |
| -- The University of Utah is blameless for anything I've said -- |
|__________________________________________________________________|

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 11:04:23 CDT
From: hyde@ngstl1.csc.ti.com (Clint Hyde 343-7709 Strong Typing is for people with Weak Memories!)
Subject: comics, copyrights, and scanning into startup screens.

Scott Paterson (are your initials really R.S.V.P. ? how funky) asked:

can you scan comics into startup screens and give them away?

technically it's a violation of copyright, and it doesn't matter if the
source is a publically availble comic strip or a picture in an old book. if
the document is still under copyright, it's illegal (i think copyright still
runs 56 years, which is why you can find folks selling disks of 1800s-looking
pictures: they didn't have to pay anyone for them, they are truly "in the
public domain").

now, if you're not making a profit on it in any way, i.e., giving them to
your friends, it'd be hard to make a claim that you work in any way causes
injury to the author or the publisher. meaning: it wouldn't be worth the time
to prosecute, assuming the author even found out. in this day of readily
available scanning and electronic distribution, esp startup screens, there
might never even BE a printed copy that the author would ever see. a thorny
problem: just like readily available xerox: one can xerox an expensive
textbook for less than the price of the book, so why buy the thing?

if you're including the picture in something else, mind you, that's where
the trouble starts. if you wanted to use it in a newsletter, for example,
you'd have to have permission (or hope that no one who'd care ever saw it,
or be willing to take the hit of a lawsuit). a local user group has been
using a variation of the "Banana 6000" on its masthead for years: it's quite
recognizable, and they're out on a limb (that masthead is on their magazine).

given the simple electronic distribution, it wouldn't be even remotely
feasible to try and eliminate something once it was created and propagated,
but I'd recommend NOT stashing it on compuserve, since they charge money for
login-time, and that could be construed as making a profit from someone who
wanted to download.

one day, we're going to have a court battle over this stuff. scanning needs to
become a little more widespread, and then we'll see something like the DAT
battle over it.

however: there's a book called ZEN AND THE ART OF MACINTOSH, in which the
author, an artist who drew or frame-grabbed everything in the book, says very
plainly: feel free to scan anything in it. the work is exquisite, the finest
bitmap graphics I have seen anywhere--I've scanned a lot of it.

conclusion: giving it away is probably OK, you'd not likely get in trouble.
but don't place an ad in MacUser saying you've got scanned Calvin&Hobbes
startup-screens for sale.

 -- clint

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 90 11:37:58 -0700
From: jdee030@ucsci.ucsc.edu (Mike Wilson)
Subject: Escher's Eye

Here's Escher's Eye; it's a stufited, binhexed b/w MacPaint image.  Please send
any replies to
haphip@ucscb.ucsc.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/art/escher-eye.hqx; 30K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90  18:40 GMT
From: Big Nose <LAWA%IAPE.AFRC.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Export via clipboard from hypercard.

Dear All,

I have a stack which I am continuously developing in which I keep all my
literature references. It currently allows me to import and export from files,
add cards, delete cards, search by author, keyword, journal or title etc. and
generally keeps what could be a messy system relatively tidy. I would like to
add the capability to copy individual references across into Word documents
via the clipboard under multifinder. To give a bit more detail, I have authors
in one field, year in the next, then title, keywords and actual reference
source in others. The two most frequent formats I require are :-
Authors + Year and Authors + Year + Title + Source. I would like to have
a button for each format which, once pressed, would place the data in the
required format into the clipboard such that I could then paste it directly
into the document. I suspect that I could do it by putting the data into a
hidden field then using doMenu Cut, but that seems a bit of a naff solution.
Does anyone have any sexier ideas.

Thanks,

Andy Law.  (LAWA@UK.AC.AFRC.IAPE)        (Alias Big Nose in Edinburgh)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Apr 90 01:31:55 MDT
From: edges@bert.cs.byu.edu (EDGE SAMUEL            )
Subject: Gemini 030 @ 25mhz

Read your message on USENET this eveing.  I'm glad to hear other going the
accelerators route too.  I've ordered from TOTAL SYSTEMS their 030 @ 25mhz,
and 68882 processor.  My bigget question is, do programs in general think
I've got a mac II/IIcx etc, or PLAIN SE!?!?  (luckily, I've got a 30 day
money back Guar.)  With the MAC SE roms, I am a little more compatible with
the newer software, but will I (we) be left with an expensive accelerator,
running the less powerfull software.  I work (college student) prgramming
things here and there on the mac.  I've noticed that there is a rom routine
in the mac II, that allows for the selection of the mmu on or off.  I don't
know if this is really used of not, but with my SE rom, I certainly can't
access this.  Anyway, I would appreciate any comments, etc.

thanks,
--Sam
(turning the PMMU on/off is in volume 5, chapter 33)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 12:39 CDT
From: Dan Lunderville <ACS_DANL%uwrf.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HyperCard - buttons in a scrolling field

A question for all the Hypercard gurus on the net -

I would like to create a button that is anchored to a word in some text in a
scrolling field on a card.  For example, say that I have a scrolling field on
a card, and the field contains text dealing with animals.  In the text are the
names of several animals.  I would like the user to be able to click on the
name of an animal and that button would link to more information about that
animal.  The button should stay anchored to that particular animal name, even
when it is scrolled off the top or bottom.

Can this be done?  Any help or clues would be much appreciated.

Dan Lunderville                            Bitnet:  ACS_DANL@UWRF
University of Wisconsin - River Falls

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 14:28:06 EST
From: Dimitrios Diamantaras <V5179E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Info request about the Ricoh 6000/PS printer

Hello everybody.

Any personal experiences with the Ricoh Postscript printer model 6000/PS?
It has a very interesting price in the recent MacLand ads in MacUser...
Is there a hidden drawback? Is it true Postscript or a clone?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Dimitrios Diamantaras
Department of Economics
Temple University
Philadelphia

Bitnet address: V5179E@TEMPLEVM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 90 10:22 CDT
From: <CC_BRYSO%SWTEXAS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: mac-to-vms-print-com-doc

This file contains a VMS command file and documentation on how
to use mac-to-vms-postscript-prep.txt to print Mac-generated
postscript files to a DEC LPS40 printer.

Bill Bryson
CC_BRYSON@SWTEXAS.BITNET

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/mac-to-vms-print-com.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Apr 90 13:25:25 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Murph's VAPORWARE column for May '90

                         VAPORWARE
                       Murphy Sewall
               From the May 1990 APPLE PULP
        H.U.G.E. Apple Club (E. Hartford) News Letter
                          $15/year
                       P.O. Box 18027
                  East Hartford, CT 06118
            Call the "Bit Bucket" (203) 569-8739
     Permission granted to copy with the above citation

     This is the 6th anniversary edition of this column

Can You Say October?
Although Apple officials continue to describe Macintosh
System 7.0 in public as "on schedule," private sources close
to Apple say the project is falling two or three days behind
schedule each week and a release before harvest time is
unlikely.  If a version is announced this summer, it will be
missing some of the anticipated features (which will become
"Christmas presents").  - InfoWorld 9 April

Brier to Ship 20 Mbyte Floppy.
Brier Technology has begun shipping their 20 Mbyte floptical
drive (see the September and October 1988 columns) to
manufacturers last month.  A consumer version called the
Stor/Mor will be shipped by Q/Cor (formerly Quadram) in June
(about 18 months later than originally anticipated).  An
internal (AT bus) unit will sell for $795, an external (AT
or SCSI) will be $895 and an external with MCA adapter will
cost $995.  Average access time is 35 milliseconds, and
preformatted 3.5 inch floptical disks will be $25 each.
- InfoWorld 9 April

The NeXT Macintosh?
Steve Jobs and John Sculley have been spotted in each
other's company recently.  Rumor has it that acquisition of
the agenda.  So far Apple's board of directors have said
"no" to any proposed deals.
- InfoWorld and PC Week 16 April

A/UX Does It All.
When version 2.0 of A/UX ships in August, the Macintosh will
become the only personal computer capable of simultaneously
running UNIX, Macintosh, MS-DOS, and Windows software.
"32-bit clean" Macintosh software, which also will be
required by the announced Macintosh System 7.0, will also
run under A/UX.  One announced 32-bit clean program also
scheduled to ship in August, is the new version of Insignia
Solutions Soft PC.  The new Soft PC provides a complete
emulation of the PS/2 Model 70, and Insignia says it will be
capable of running Window's 3.0 (as fast as a 20 MHz Model
70 on a Mac IIfx) and the newest color VGA software.  PC
Soft will also run under Mac System 7.0.
- InfoWorld 2 April

Unix for the Hobbyist.
Atari demonstrated a 68030 machine with a Unix operating
system at the Hannover Computer Fair.  Atari plans to offer
the base model for less than $2,000.  - PC Week 26 March

Intel CPU Evolution.
Additional details about Intel's i586, i686, and i786
processors seem to be appearing quarterly (see last August,
October, and January's columns).  Production of the two
million transistor i586 is forecast for 1992 (please allow
for usual "vaporware" slippage; that date already is a year
later than predicted last July).  The chip will measure 2.5
inches by 2.5 inches, and performance should be more than
twice that of the i486.  It will have two caches, one for
instructions and one for data.  The four to five million
transistor i686 is scheduled for 1996, and the spectacular
one inch by one inch 100 million transistor i786 is
envisioned for the turn-of-the-century.  According to
Intel's David House, the i786 will contain four tightly
coupled parallel integer processors and two vector
processors operating at 250 MHz and delivering 700 MIPS.  A
two Mbyte cache memory will supply the six processors and
the bus interface will support digital video.
- InfoWorld and PC Week 26 March

Pen Input Systems.
Several major small computer makers and laptop vendors are
on the verge of bringing out systems designed to let users
substitute a pen for keyboard and mouse, but development is
limited by a paucity of software.  Some developers say that
major applications that would let users really take
advantage of pen input hardware still is a long way off.
Slate Corporations, a Scottsdale, Arizona start-up, is
widely acknowledged as working exclusively on applications
for pen input systems.  Slate has had little to say publicly
about its activities - could they be the Ashton Tate or
Lotus or the 90's?  - InfoWorld 16 April

Shirt Pocket AT.
Chips and Technologies has announced a complete AT
compatible on one board (see last January's column).  The
motherboard needs only three chips to handle all system
logic, I/O, mass storage, and VGA output. The Highly
Integrated AT Chip Set will sell to original equipment
manufacturers for only $69.  - Computer Chronicles 21 April

SPARCstation II.
Sun isn't about to sit still while IBM sells everyone a
System 6000 PowerStation.  Announcements for the new
SPARCstations will begin in June (a 12.5 MIP, 8 Mbyte RAM
model).  By the time school starts in September, look for a
25 MIP Sun workstation in the $10,000 price range.
- PC Week 16 April

Reprogrammable Microcode.
Insiders contend that the ROMP II RISC chip in the IBM
RS/6000 PowerStations has a built in capability to field
upgrade the microcode.  The current PowerStations run at 4
instructions per cycle, but development already is underway
to produce a ROM upgrade to 16 instructions per cycle.  In
theory, the processor is capable of (at least) 128
instructions per cycle.  - InfoWorld 16 April

MS-DOS 5.0.
Beta testing of the next version of MS-DOS begins this month
with delivery to customers expected by September - much
later than previously anticipated.  - InfoWorld 2 April

33 MHz i486.
AST Research is the first to offer a system built around the
new Intel 33 MHz i486 CPU, samples of which were shipped to
manufacturers at the end of March.  The AST Premium 486/33
is scheduled to ship this month with an AT bus and 4 Mbytes
of RAM for less than $10,000 ($9,995 to be precise).
- InfoWorld 2 April

i486 Laptop.
JKL of Silver Springs, Maryland plans to announce an i486
color laptop this summer.  The VGA color flat-screen (not
LCD) is made by Sharp.  A model with 1 Mbyte of RAM, a 40
Mbyte hard drive and an 8 hour battery will weigh in at 15
pounds and retail for only $7,500.  - PC Week 9 April

IBM's Blues.
IBM hasn't announced a 33 MHz 80386 model or their new 80286
(AT bus) laptop because neither has been able to obtain FCC
approval.  Meanwhile Big Blue may enter the notebook size
market with a 6-pound unit made by Ricoh.  The notebook
already is for sale under IBM's label in Japan where it is
known as Mr. My Tool (likely to be renamed for the U.S.
market).  - InfoWorld 9 April

Improved Ultralite.
NEC's next generation Ultralite (due in July) will be
one-half inch wider and one-quarter inch thicker in order to
accommodate a 20 or 40 Mbyte hard drive and an 3.5 inch
external drive port (along with a VGA display and a ROM card
slot similar to the one in the present model).  The standard
configuration will have 1 Mbyte of RAM and a 640 by 480
backlit display.  NEC's price will be under $4,000.
- InfoWorld 16 April

Compaq SLT/386
A 20 MHz 80386SX version of the popular Compaq SLT laptop is
slated for a June introduction.  A choice of a 20 Mbyte or
40 Mbyte hard disk will be offered along with a backlit VGA
display and a 3 hour battery.  - PC Week 16 April

IBM Office Vision Does Windows.
The big Windows 3.0 rumor this month is that the planned 22
May introduction (see last month's column) is still on.
Developers plan to show new products for Windows 3.0 at
Comdex in June regardless of whether Microsoft is ready to
deliver, and Zenith, IBM, and Tandy plan to begin bundling
Windows 3.0 with their 80386 offerings during the summer.
IBM's Windows implementation of Office Vision won't be
announced by the next Comdex, but sources have confirmed
that development is underway.
- InfoWorld March 26 and 2 April

Filemaker Pro.
Claris plans to begin shipping a new version of its
shareable flat-file database in June.  The program is 30
percent faster than Filemaker II and features more than 100
improvements including many of the graphic manipulation
tools found in other Claris programs such as MacDraw.
- InfoWorld 2 April and PC Week 9 April

Kapitalist Tool.
Microsoft recently announced the first Russian language
version of MS-DOS and plans to release a Russian version of
Microsoft Works this summer.  - Computer Chronicles 21 April

A Wave of New Applications.
Nearly two dozen software developers plan to introduce
applications for Hewlett-Packard's New Wave object-oriented
environment for Microsoft Windows.  New Wave software is
currently limited to one communications package and a single
file retrieval utility.  - PC Week 9 April

New Apple II (Continued).
Apple IIgs owners saving up for a new ROM 04 machine will
have to save for a new monitor too.  Current Apple IIgs
monitors will flicker on the new machine which will have
interlaced graphics.  Apple's "rethinking" of the II line's
future is still said to be inconclusive, but insiders feel
certain that the ROM 04 machine will be introduced -
eventually.  - found in my electronic mailbox

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Apr 90  05:34:08 EDT
From: Lloyd%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: need mouse button switch

after owning my mac for about 8 months my mouse button died on apple
adb mouse. It kinda irks me that it didnt last that long but anyways.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement switch for the mouse button?
The Model No. of the mouse is: A9m0331  and the serial no. is: 801814
it's one of the lightweight ones.
The maker of the switch is OMRON, but I have not been able to find
a replacement part anywhere and refuse to pay $100 for a replacement mouse.

thanks in advance,

Chris Lloyd
Lloyd@umass.bitnet
Programmer - Software Library - University Computing Services

Anyone know where I can get NOS/VE for my mac se/30?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 1990 11:00:31 CDT
From: "GERGA::DAVE"@aeolus.tamu.edu
Subject: PaintJet driver for 32-bit Color QD (?)

Greetings!

	Does anyone know offhand whether HP has a more recent
( > 1.0 ) version of its Chooser driver for the HP PaintJet?
More importantly, if a newer version is available, does it
work with Apple's 32-bit Color QuickDraw patch (using System
6.0.4) or even with the 32bCQD in System 6.0.5? I'd hate to
have to not use 32bCQD just to be able to print in 4 dithered
colors on the PaintJet. (Since 32bCQD isn't an INIT or cdev -
Type=32QD,Creator=LEAK - I can't use an INIT-manager to turn
it off when I need to print in color).

	Thanks, as usual. And, as usual, I'll summarize any
	     answers I get.

* Dave Martin, Technician/Macintosh Systems Administrator
* Geochemical & Environmental Research Group (GERG)
* Dept. of Oceanography / Texas A&M University
* GERGA::DAVE / BROOKS@AEOLUS.TAMU.EDU / BROOKS@TAMVXOCN.BITNET
* (Disclaimer: I didn't do it -- nor will I.)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Apr 90 10:51:34 EDT
From: Loki Jorgenson Rm421 <loki@physics.mcgill.ca>
Subject: PS Previewer (?)

	Does anyone know of an application in the public domain which
would function adequately as a PostScript previewer?  Are there any
good commercial applications which would do the same?

Thanks in advance,

Loki Jorgenson			node:  loki@physics.mcgill.ca
Physics, McGill University	fax:   (514) 398-3733
Montreal Quebec CANADA		phone: (514) 398-6531

  <....  Free the mind and the police will surely follow  ....>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 11:08 CDT
From: david paul hoyt <YZE6041%UMNACVX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Public domain images?

> From: rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson)
> Subject: Startup Screens
>
> I noticed a year or so ago some Bloom County public domain startup
> screens that were made from scanned comics.  Can one do this and
> give away the screens?

  Not seeing the screens that you mention I can not say for sure, but
I seriously doubt that there are any public domain Bloom County images
out there.

  The M. Brethed (sp?) earns his living on his artwork; if he gave the images
away (placed them in the public domain) he would have to get a job washing
dishes to survive.  His syndicate earns their living by selling the images to
newspapers which in turn make their money by selling the images to you, the
newspaper buyers.  I doubt any of them would allow the artist to give the
images away, even if he wanted to place them in the public domain.

  As J.R.R Tolken said, "If you have any respect for the author, only
buy an authorized edition of this book."  Actually, I can't remember the
exact quote.  But the meaning is clear.  Don't express your appreciation of the
artist by stealing from her, or in this case him.

david paul hoyt | dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu | dhoyt@umnacvx.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Apr 1990 20:25:11 PDT
From: Vaughan Johnson <vjohnson@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: ScreenSnap 2.2 (new version of Snap 2.1)

Mark,

re: your email to info-mac:

>>Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 28 Apr 90       Volume 8 : Issue  86
>>
>>Date: Tue, 24 Apr 90 14:21:58 EDT
>>>From: Mark Edward Toomey <MTOOMEY%UGA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
>>Subject: Snap
>>
>>Does anyone have access to Snap 2.1 (or other version?), a screen capture
>>utility which operates under multifinder as it is an application & not
>>a DA or F-key? I downloaded it last year some time from Rice but in the
>>latest filelist (March) I can't find it there anymore & I can't seem to
>>locate it amongst my highly-organized disks :-). If someone could upload
>>it to the shadow arc. at Rice or send it stuffed & Bin-hexed to me I would
>>greatly appreciate it.
>>
>>**************************************************************************
>>
>>Mark Edward Toomey                     Disclaimer: I only speak for
>>Computer Services Specialist                       myself, although
>>College of Home Economics                          sometimes I wonder
>>University of Georgia                              even about that!
>>
>>BITNET: MTOOMEY@UGA
>>Internet: mtoomey@uga.uga.edu
>>Voice: 404-542-4864 or 404-542-4651
>>FAX:   404-542-4862

We (Knowledge Source, Inc.) wrote and released the Snap 2.1 screen
capture shareware program for the Mac.  Because we found out that
there is a commercial program called 'SNAP', we changed the name when
we released version 2.2 .  The new version is called ScreenSnap 2.2 .

ScreenSnap 2.2 is in:
- the info-mac directory on SUMEX, as
    /info-mac/util/screensnap-22.hqx

- the '3rd Party Connection' icon on Applelink, in this folder path:

    Third Party Software Demos
        Desk Accessories/Utilities
            ScreenSnap (TM)

- maybe where you found it from Rice, with the new name.

Let me know if you can't get it from any of those places and I'll
email it to you.

Vaughan Johnson
Knowledge Source, Inc.
415/326-1374

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 15:31:01 GMT-0500
From: williams@oyster.smcm.edu (Bill Williams)
Subject: Seeking "Klingon" font

I seem to remember a Klingon font floating around a couple of years ago,
but now I can't find it in any of my own or Sumex-Aim's archives.  Anybody
know where I can find such a thing?  Any Trekkie font might do.

			-W2

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Apr 90 13:55:17 EDT
From: "Chris Khoury (Sari's Son)" <3XMQGAA%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Sound Input Device: Is it worth it?

     I am very interested in the SID project. I have gotten all the files inclu
ding the SID Crystal Update. I want to know:

1) Is it worth building compared to just buying a MacRecorder for $150?
2) Does it take an electronics genius to build it?
3) How long does it take?
4) Does it perform as you expected it to?
5) What is the total cost to build it?

If I get replies, I will summarize and post to the net. Thanks...

| Christopher Khoury       |Bitnet: 3XMQGAA@CMUVM (Preferred)          |
| Disclaimer: All opinions |Internet: skhoury@postcard.engin.umich.edu |
| are mine, not my dad's.  |UUCP: hippo@bushido.uucp                   |

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 11:11:48 EDT
From: siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
Subject: THINK C, scanf(), & '881

It sounds as though you're using a version if the ANSI library which
is incompatible with the setting of the 68881 compiler option; if you
have 68881 turned on, you must also use the ANSI-881 library.

R.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel

"Don't try to understand 'em, just rope, throw, and brand 'em."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------------------------------

Date: 23 Apr 90 16:14:58 GMT
From: a6ey@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
Subject: TidBITS - A HyperCard-based news journal.
Introducing TidBITS, the HyperCard-based news journal.

The first issue of TidBITS, a HyperCard based news journal, will
be available on 4/23/90.  Subsequent issues will be available
early each week.  TidBITS requires a Mac+ and HyperCard 1.2.2 or
later.  A hard disk is recommended, but not necessary since each
week's issue of TidBITS will never be more than 40K.

What is TidBITS?
  TidBITS is an answer to the information glut in the computer
industry. TidBITS summarizes and references the most interesting
events of the week as reported in the trade magazines.  Added
features of TidBITS include a summary of interesting discussions
>From Usenet, a world-wide computer network linking business and
universities everywhere, and a list of all reviewed products in
each of the major magazines.  In addition, TidBITS is an open
information system that you can use to add items of interest for
yourself or delete items in which you will never be interested.
If you wish to use the TidBITS software for another topic and to
distribute it to others, please contact use at the address below
first.

How do I use TidBITS?
  It is simple.  Just download the StuffIt archive each week and
unstuff.  Then double-click on the HyperCard stack.  The first
card contains information and instructions - all following cards
contain the articles. A complete subject index is available from
all article cards, or you may page through the articles one at a
time with the hand buttons.  Don't miss the quote of the week -
click on the Quote button.

Should I keep each week's stack?
  No, because when you are done reading the news from that stack,
you can merge the stack with previous weeks' stacks (or create a
new TidBITS Archive, if it is your first one).  By merging the
stacks, you gradually build up a concise and easily searched
archive of important events and product reviews.  Unlike the
annual indexes published by some of the magazines, the TidBITS
Archive is always up to date and always available. In addition,
TidBITS covers many of the major trade magazines, including
MacWEEK, PC WEEK, InfoWorld, Macworld, MacUser, and PC World. New
magazines will be added when possible.  Whenever you want to find
information, the TidBITS Archive makes it easy and provides the
reference to the original article so you can get all the details
that were originally available.

Is there any cost to TidBITS?
   No, other than the time to download and the space on your
disk.  At some point in the future, a mail subscription service
may be made available to those who cannot access an online source
of TidBITS.

Where can I get TidBITS?
   TidBITS will be available on America Online, the Memory Alpha
BBS at 607-257-5822, and the Internet as well.  For now, send
mail to either the Bitnet or Internet address below to get on a
temporary mailing list.  Distribution has yet to be completely
finalized, so if you have any suggestions, please feel free to
write us.  As mentioned above, there is no mail subscription
service currently, but one may be set up in the future if there
is enough interest from people who cannot regularly get access to
the online services.

TidBITS is copyright 1990 Adam C. Engst and Tonya Byard. For
more information write us at the address below, send mail to
one of the email addresses below, or reply to this posting.
 TidBITS
 901 Dryden Road, #88
 Ithaca, NY  14850

Email addresses:
 Internet: pv9y@cornella.cit.cornell.edu
 Bitnet: pv9y@cornella
 America Online: Adam Engst
--
Adam C. Engst     temporarily borrowing>>>>>>a6ey@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
"I ain't worried and I ain't scurried and I'm having a good time"

[Archived as /info-mac/digest/tidbits-1.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 90 10:44 CDT
From: <CC_BRYSO%SWTEXAS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Toggler

This is a simple application to toggle the TYPE of outline font
files stored in the system folder from 'LWFN' to 'xWFN' or vica versa.
This is useful when generating postscript files to disk on the Mac
to be printed on a postscript printer on another computer system such as
a VAX.  If the type is 'LWFN' then the LaserWriter driver does find
the file and puts a hex dump of the outline font in the postscript file.
Which makes the postscript file considerably larger and usually will
not print on the other postscript printer because of line length problems.
This occurs even for built-in LaserWriter II fonts like Helvetica or Times.
DiskTop and ResEdit could be used but this program makes it easier.

Bill Bryson
CC_BRYSON@SWTEXAS.BITNET

[Archived as /info-mac/util/font-toggler.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 16:42:02 EDT
From: Tom Prusa <TPRUSA@ccvm.sunysb.edu>
Subject: Unix Shell Archive for Mac?

I have several (text) files that need to be processed via a "shell archive"
utility.  I believe this is some Unix utility...

Does anyone know of a Macintosh program that will process these files?

                              thanks in advance,
                                   tom prusa

End of Info-Mac Digest