Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/07/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun,  6 May 90       Volume 8 : Issue  91

Today's Topics:

      AddressBook 2.02 Part 1 of 9
      Appleshare problem...
      AppleTalk Peek/Poke for the IIci?
      Bug in Mathematica 1.2 for the Macintosh
      Ethernet board for an SE/30
      Free Text v1.01
      Global replace in MS-WORD
      Glypha. A game.
      Hypercard -> Text file
      I need help scanning.
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #86
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #88
      layers binary for Ultrix Vaxen available for FTP
      Macintosh map of CT?
      MacProducts (BOGUS cheap DeskWriter..)
      MacWorld article on Macintosh viruses
      Mathemathics on a Mac
      MPW
      MS-DOS compatibility
      need '$' in identifiers think c 4.0 hack
      Need help with in-house Mac dtp
      PICT Resource Generation
      Reference to refilling HP DeskJet/DeskWriter cartridges
      Snapscreen 2.2
      Solarian II v1.02
      Sound Experiment Query
      Syquest Removable Drives Info
      Terminal Emulator

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sun, 15 Apr 90 23:19:12 CDT
From: jak9213@helios.tamu.edu (John Kane)
Subject: AddressBook 2.02 Part 1 of 9

After seeing several requests, here is a copy of Address Book 2.02
(April 90). This is shareware from:

	Jim Leitch
	61 Shaughnessy Blvd
	Willowdale, Ontario, Canada M2J 1H9
	416/496-0828
	416/496-0802 Fax
	Compuserve: 70416,1532

The shareware fee is $20 (US) and well worth it.

 John Arthur Kane, Systems Analyst, Microcomputer Support and Training
 Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77843  (409) 845-9999

 jak9213@helios.tamu.edu     profs: x043jk@tamvm1.tamu.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/card/address-book-202.hqx; 248K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 May 90 22:43 EDT
From: pascal@altitude.cam.org (Pascal Gosselin)
Subject: Appleshare problem...

I have experienced similar hangup problems....

Basically:

1- check for viruses with Disinfectant 1.7 (available everywhere...)

2- Check your cabling with an Ohm meter.  Too many or too few resistors
on your network could cause problems.

| Pascal Gosselin          |    Internet: pascal@altitude.CAM.ORG    |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |    (514) 939-1127     CIS: 72757,1570   |

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 May 90 20:14:09 (GMT)
From: Sak Wathanasin <sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk>
Subject: AppleTalk Peek/Poke for the IIci?

Way back in the mists of time, when Apple were still sending
out "Software Supplements", they had a most useful pair of
programs called AppleTalk Peek/Poke. Alas they bomb on the IIci.
Does anyone know if more recent versions exist, and if so how
I can get them?

Many thanks in advance.

--
Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

uucp:	...!ukc!nan!sw
other:	sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk
phone:  (+44) 203 419996
telex:  9312130355 (SW G)
snail:  178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 May 90 12:40:49 MEZ
From: ONM010%DE0HRZ1A.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Bug in Mathematica 1.2 for the Macintosh

Re.:	Bug in Mathematica 1.2 for the Macintosh

There seems to be a serious bug in Mathematica version 1.2
for the Macintosh: In certain situations the results of
symbolic calculations may be wrong when symbolic expressions
are simplified using the "Simplify[ ]" command. I discovered
this when a calculation, which had a reasonable result
before, gave a (physically unrealizable) negative answer
after symbolic simplification of the expression. I was able
to isolate the following example from the more complicated
original term:

Simplify[ (r^2 + z^2)^(1/2)*(2 + (r^2 + z^2)^(1/2))*Log[2] ]

gives:

	3*(r^2 + z^2)^(1/2)*Log[2]

This (wrong) simplification does not occur when the factor
of Log[2] is taken out of the above expression. This
behaviour of Mathematica 1.2 could be reproduced on a SUN
workstation. Wolfram Research has been notified by FAX on
April 26, I haven't received a final answer yet.

I would strongly encourage users of Mathematica 1.2 on
Macintosh and SUN systems to carefully check their results
when "Simplify[ ]" is invoked in the course of a
calculation until this question is resolved.

	Stefan

  Dr. Stefan P. Mueller, Nuklearmedizin, Universitaetsklinikum,
  Hufelandstr. 55, D-4300 Essen 1, Federal Republic of Germany,
   e-mail: ONM010@DE0HRZ1A on BITNET, FAX +49/ (201) 723-4694,
         phone:  +49/ (201) 723-2080 or 2081 or 2032

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 May 90 17:21 EDT
From: TTHOMAS@ccmail.sunysb.edu
Subject: Ethernet board for an SE/30

I am looking for an ethernet board for my mac se/30. I have ordered a kinetics
etherport se/30 board from Kinetics 2 months ago; but have'nt heard from them
since. Could some satisfied customer please recommend an ethernet board/vendor?

Thanks in advance!

Thomas B.Thomas
Micro Systems/Analyst
Instructional Computing			BITNET: TTHOMAS@SBCCMAIL
State University of New York            INTERNET: TTHOMAS@CCMAIL.SUNYSB.EDU
Stony Brook, NY 11794-2400		VOICE: (516) 632-8031

------------------------------

Date: 14 Apr 90 16:18 EDT
From: science@nems.dt.navy.mil (Mark Zimmermann)
Subject: Free Text v1.01

appended below, mailer permitting, is the binhex'd stuffit'd file
'Free Text v1.01.SIT.hqx', 257841 or so bytes long ... this version
replaces Free Text v1.0, and includes three changes:
 - highlighting for non-TEXT databases is fixed for the Text View;
 - the source code is moved out of the Help/Services stack into a
separate folder;
 - my 30kB essay on free text information retrieval user interfaces
and general philosophy is moved into the Help/Services stack.

Otherwise, this version of Free Text is identical to v1.0 posted
here a month or so ago ... it's a HyperCard stack and associated
external functions to build inverted indices to arbitrarily-large
files, enabling you to browse and retrieve from those files easily;
I call it a "real-time high-bandwidth free-text information tool"....
Free Text is completely free software, in the GNU/Stallman sense,
and was developed in part with the kind support of Apple's Library.

Best,  ^z  (science@nems.dt.navy.mil)

[Archived as /info-mac/card/free-text-101.hqx; 257K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 May 90 08:34 MET
From: Ed de Moel <DEMOEL%HUTRUU51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Global replace in MS-WORD

Subject: Global search & replace in Word 4

sowell@hoss.unl.edu writes:

 > My problem is that I want to replace an upper case omega from
 > the Symbol font (which I consider ugly) with an upper case omega
 > from the Times font (which I consider marginally better).  This
 > in a text of some 30 pages.

I once had a similar problem, and solved it by saving the document
in 'rtf' format, which is plain text with text-processor
instructions in 'human-legible' (ASCII-only) form, next I edited
this file and finally I re-converted the edited 'rtf-file' to a
WORD-document.

It's pretty cumbersome, but it works, no matter what kind of
text-processor feature you wish to edit.

Do other people also think that a global replace in WORD in a
document of 20+ pages takes an unreasonable amount of time as
compared to the time editors like 'vi' or 'edt' need for that
purpose?
If so, the people of MicroSoft might be encouraged to do
something about that in a following release.

Ed de Moel.

Physically:            Electronically:           Hybrid:
University of Utrecht  BITNET:  demoel@hutruu51  Phone: +31 (30) 532239
Princetonplein 5       DIALCOM: 12428:PGA005
PO BOX 80000
3508 TA  Utrecht
The Netherlands

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Apr 90 20:33 EDT
From: RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu
Subject: Glypha. A game.

Hello folks.
I am sending along here a game I ran across recently, called "Glypha".
It is like an arcade game popular not so long ago, called "Joust". It
must be run in B+W, and multifinder is o.k. Enjo it.

While I am here, I have a problem in Word Perfect for the Mac. (please,
no comments on my choice of word proccessor). I have purchased several
fonts from adobe recently, and they will not work in word perfect. I
have to assume it is because they are NFNT's rather thtwan FONT's. WP
doesn't seem to recognize the new format at all, and it gives me geneva.
This is agravating. They work well in other programs, so it's not the
fonts. Is there any way to convert from NFNT to FONT? I know you can
go the other way with a lot of programs. Thanks in advance.

Read Fritsch

RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu

Pittsburgh Cancer Institute,
University of Pittsburgh

[Archived as /info-mac/game/glypha.hqx; 176K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 May 90 22:46:29 -0400
From: tdh@po.cwru.edu (Thomas D. Halter)
Subject: Hypercard -> Text file

I have a rather large stack (1100+ cards) that I would like to convert into
a format useable by other programs.  Text files would be adequate, but
I would really like to convert it to a .dbf file usable by FoxBASE+/Mac.
Any and all information would be appreciated!  As usual, mail all info to
me and I will post my findings.

--
----- _________ __    __   __
  ---/___  ___/__ \  / /__/ /

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  1 May 90 14:27:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Zuroski <kz08+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: I need help scanning.

Hello! Can you offer a suggestion to my problem?

I have a block of text, about one page, which is going to be published
in a journal as a graphic. What is important is not the text but
certain penned-in comments in the margins and *on* the text; the
commentator drew circles around some of the words as well. Since I
don't have permission to include the words in the text (we *do* have
permission to include the comments), and the text is copyrighted, I
need somehow to blur the text so that it is no longer readable (but
so that it still looks like text, or at) while maintaining the legibility of
the handwriting. Again, the handwritten comments are superimposed on
top of the printed text.

What is the best way of doing this? I thought about scanning it all in;
but then I can probably only modify the image if I save it as a
MacPaint-type file, which is of fairly poor quality, at least for
published work. If I scan it in at a higher resolution, I could print
it out on a Linotronic; but then I wouldn't be able to modify the
image, unless there is a way to hack TIFF format graphics files easily.
Does anyone know?

I don't think using an text-recognition system would work. I thought
about scanning it in, converting it to ASCII, then replacing some or
all letters so that words are no longer legible. In theory that would
work fine, but the handwritten text will be, of course, lost. So much
for that.

Thanks for any advice!

--ken zuroski

kz08@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 May 90 15:39 EST
From: LLEDUC%LAUVAX01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #86

You should use the clipboard in concert with the Change option of Word 4.0.
For example, select the symbol which you want to change and copy it to the
clipboard, then open the Change utility and paste into the upper box, then
close the utility and open a new document to write the new symbol. Select
and copy this to the clipboard. Open the Change utility again, the first
entry should still be there and probably highlighted, copy the contents
of the clipboard (use ~c) to the lower box and launch the utility.  I hope
you can understand this!  It should work.

Leo G. Leduc

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 May 90 17:34:13 EST
From: SHAWN CHANEY <SC0FCBLB%MIAMIU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #88

Hello,
I hope this is sent to the right address, if not could you please respond
with the right address and forward this to the list.

For my question let me first give some background.  I have four Mac II's
networked with AppleTalk without accelerators or any accessories.  The
main purpose of the network is to run a MultiUser Helix Collection
dealing with payroll, check writing, tax calculations, employee records,
and time/job study for a small construction business.  The collection is
very large and handles 5000 - 6000 records yearly.  Helix does a fine job
of sorting, displaying, and retrieving records.

BUT, it is soooooo slow.  This is where my idea to use HyperCard came in.
Would it be possible/feasible to use HyperTalk to build a database that
functions similar but uses HyperCard's incredible speed?  I really don't
want to start adding accelerators just yet, and am interested in learning
hypertalk anyway.  Can HyperCard be used in a multiuser/network environment?
Thanks for any opinions,

Shawn Chaney
SC0FCBLB @ MIAMIU
Miami University
Oxford, Ohio 45056

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 May 1990 17:00:07 CDT
From: Werner Uhrig <werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu>
Subject: layers binary for Ultrix Vaxen available for FTP

The MacLayers support group has received several reports of "layers"
(the UNIX-end of the system) not compiling on Ultrix systems, however,
one user reported that moving a binary file compiled on BSD to an
Ultrix system worked for him; so we "begged" for those binaries and
we make them available for Anonymous FTP from RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU
in the directories  mac/NEW-in-9005 and mac/unix-utilities/MacLayers
with the file names:

  45 -rw-r--r--  1 werner      46080 May  1 16:48 layers.ultrix-vax_executable
   1 -rw-r--r--  1 werner        773 May  1 16:48 layers.ultrix-vax_intro

below follows the text in the "intro" file ...

The file  "layers.ultrix-vax_executale"  contains an executable image of
the Unix-end program for the MacLayers window protocol.  The file is for
Vaxen running Ultrix.

It is here because layers does not work when compiled directly under
Ultrix.  I do not know why.  This file was created under BSD on a VAX.

Its creator says that it works fine under Ultrix, but neither the
author of MacLayers nor the MacLayers beta test group have personally
tried it.  As always, caveat receptor.

You will also want executable images for layerssize, layertitle, and
macbput (although layers is usable without them).  These programs
should compile under Ultrix without difficulty.  Of course, you also
need the Mac-end program, MacLayers.

Don't forget to set binary mode when ftp'ing binary files!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 May 90 11:14:50 EST
From: Susan Grajek <GRAJEK%YALEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Macintosh map of CT?

Does anyone has a map of Connecticut showing cities & towns that could be used
on a Mac?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 May 1990 10:43:40 PDT
From: Carl Madson <madson@unix.sri.com>
Subject: MacProducts (BOGUS cheap DeskWriter..)

Someone asked about the MacProducts ad in the back of MacWorld, advertising
an HP DeskWriter for $739. (!) I called, intending to buy, and the fellow
said, "That's a misprint. The price is actually $849."

Some misprint. (I'd be more suspicious, but the DeskWriter price was in tiny
print, unlike what you would use for bait-and-switch. But who knows.)

You might consider Fremont (CA) ComputerLand, who sells the printer for $799.
A friend bought his there and was satisfied with the deal. Their number is
(415) 794-9311.

		--Carl Madson, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 May 90 16:18:15 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: MacWorld article on Macintosh viruses

The latest (June '90) issue of MacWorld contains a 6-page article on
Mac viruses in its "How to" column.  Impressions:

-  Level-headed and non-hysterical.  Points out that most system
   errors are due to problems other than viruses.

-  Recommends prophylactic measures such as backups, keeping floppies
   locked, and being careful about importing disks from outside your
   shop.

-  Doesn't mince words about viruses being "tools of vandalism --- bricks
   hurled through your Mac's windows by people with apparently nothing
   better to do with their time and programming skill...  [c]omputer
   viruses could be stopped dead if their creators turned their energies
   toward being productive, not destructive."  Hear, hear!!

-  Reasonably up to date.. it mentions the Mosaic/FontFinder
   trojan-horse code, and makes clear the distinction between a trojan
   horse and a virus.

-  Gives freeware/shareware antivirals a fair mention... not as much
   column-space as the commercial products, but better than a poke in
   the eye (or a complete non-mention, as has happened in the past).

-  Has a significant oversight in the tabular summary of "virus
   fighters"... Disinfectant is not listed (although it heads up the
   alphabetically-ordered list of free-or-shareware antivirals in the
   text of the article).

I'd give it a "B+" as an intro/tutorial... it seems to be more accurate
and more informative than any intro-to-viruses I've seen in the glossy
Mac press before now.  I'd give it an "A-" except for the fact that the
person who put the table together didn't include Disinfectant.

The author quoted a 1988 survey which indicated that only 8% of the
magazine's readers had ever had their machines infected.  He himself has
never had a virus infection on his Mac, and admits that he doesn't take
his backup precautions as seriously as he might.  I hope he's not being
overly optimistic... things have changed a bit in the last 18 months,
alas.

[Disclaimer: I'm the co-author of one of the freeware antivirals
 mentioned in the article.]

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 May 90 10:09 MET
From: LOUTER%AMC.UVA.NL@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Mathemathics on a Mac

        Hello,

        I'm looking for a program to do mathematics on a 1 Mbyte Macintosh Plus
Something like MathCAD on a PC. Is there someone who can help me?

                                        Baas Louter
                                        Medical Informatics
                                        University of Amsterdam

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 May 90 04:18:04 -0900
From: "ACAD1A::JSDMS"  <JSDMS%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MPW

I was wondering if there is a less expensive model of MPW that a
person could appropriate.  Or is MPW the only one on the market at the
moment?  Is there a place that I could look, or a catalog or something?
Any other places that I could look to find out?
I have FTP access, but not a real FTP line, but would like to know if
there's a viable place perhaps at another college?

Thank you.

Darren Spence

JSDMS@ALASKA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 May 90 11:39:19 +0200
From: Pauwels Luc <GHGAPAO%BLEKUL11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MS-DOS compatibility

Has anybody got any experience reading MS-DOS floppy's on a Mac ?
I have an old Mac Plus so I can't use the Apple Superdrive (at least
that's what they tell me).  I'm sure there are some very
interesting third-party solutions available.  Has anybody got
some documentation ? (Price, interface (SCSI or drive port),
compatibility, support,...)

Thanks in advance.

Luc Pauwels (GHGAPAO@BLEKUL11.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  2 May 90  04:03:53 EDT
From: Lloyd%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: need '$' in identifiers think c 4.0 hack

does anybody know of a hack that exists which allows you to use '$' in
THINK C 4.0 identifiers (macro names/functions/variables etc), if not
if there anybody who could lead me in the right direction to hacking it..
(code rsrc #'s etc..).

does MPW or any other C compilers for the mac allow '$' in identifiers?

Chris Lloyd - Programmer - University Computing Services
Univ. of MA
Lloyd@umass.bitnet  - bitnet
cabbagehead@saturn.ucc.umass.edu - internet/x400

Does anyone know where I can get NOS/VE for my Mac SE/30?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 May 90 12:09:01 -0400
From: jeff@ursa-major.spdcc.com (Jeff Fabijanic)
Subject: Need help with in-house Mac dtp

Howdy folks,

I am currently working on a project for a medium sized professional
business in the Boston area. We would like to improve our in-house
production methods. We have 30 Macs, a couple laser printers, TOPS, and
produce about 2-3 reports/month. I have interviewed several similar
businesses and some graphics services and I am interested in talking to
other mac dtp users. Briefly, I would like to find out what
*organizational* (people as opposed to machines) setups you have found
efficient (both time and money-wise) and also any in-house "pitfalls" when
using Macs.

I don't mind conducting any interview via phone, if you would like to help
me but can't spare the time to meet. I would imagine that it wouldn't take
longer than 10-15 minutes.

As an incentive (what, you're not willing to drop everything to help a
fellow NETer ?!), I will send anyone who helps me out a condensed version
of my report (call it about 4-8 pages).  And I will summarize if there is
enough interest.

If anyone is interested in talking to me, I can be reached via e-mail here,
or you can call 11-4 weekdays (617) 859-5889 (feel free to call collect -
ask for "B.I"). Thanks.

          Jeff Fabijanic (jeff@spdcc.com)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 May 90 15:15 CDT
From: MJW <MJWOLFPC@uiamvs.bitnet>
Subject: PICT Resource Generation

I have a question about PICT resources in files.  I would like to make my own
PICT resources and was wondering if there was an easy way of doing so, without
resorting to using the opcodes and diong it all in ResEdit.  I have tried using
SuperPaint 2, MacPaint II, MacDraw II to gernerate files that might have
stored the data in a PICT resource, none did so, and I tried all the file
formats that each allowed.

So, if someone could come to my aid, I would be very much the happy and
grateful one.  Thanks in (a hopeful) advance.

MJ Wolf

MJWOLFPC@UIAMVS
WOLF@MEL.CIPL.UIOWA.EDU
MJWOLF@UMAXC.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 02 MAY 90 22:53:46 CST
From: Z4648252 <Z4648252%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Reference to refilling HP DeskJet/DeskWriter cartridges

    A number of messages lately have mentioned the refilling of
the HP DeskJet/DeskWriter ink cartridges.  I'm the rascal who originated
the first 'alert' on this back in the Spring of 1989 and would like
to refer those interested to various Atari magazines, especially
the Current Notes issues for last year and to the Apple Library
Users Group Newsletter compilation (July 1989, Vol7, no.3, page 87).
    You can extend the life of your cartridge typically by five
times.  The method outlined below works:

1) When the cartridge feels 'light', nearly empty, but is still
   printing, it is a candidate for refilling.  A totally dry cartridge
   usually cannot be recharged.  Compare the weight with a new one
   for reference.
2) Purchase a bottle of Sheaffer's Skrip Jet Black Ink.
3) Get a syringe with a needle thin enough to enter the air hole at
   the top of the ink cartridge.  An insulin syringe works great.
   Make sure that the needle is not snug while in the hole.  You do
   not want to pressurize the cartridge while injecting.  If needed,
   ream the airhole.
4) Slowly, while outside (!!!!), inject ink into the cartridge via
   the airhole.  A mess can be made if you slip, hence, my 'outside'
   comment.  Inject NO MORE than two CC's into the cartridge.  Why?
   A siphon effect will probably occur if more ink than that is
   injected.
5) Let the cartridge sit for about thirty minutes.  The ink has to
   migrate through a sponge inside.

    The above steps are almost guaranteed to extend the life of
the cartridge.  Here are some cautions:

1) The cartridge is meant to be disposable.  It is not meant to last
   forever.  We are merely trying to stretch the life a bit and to
   lower the costs of printing.  I find the cartridge exceptionally
   expensive for the short life that you get out of it.  The fantastic
   cost of the printer is hurt by the cost and short life span of
   the ink cartridge.
2) Hewlett Packard claims that only HP ink is suitable for the printer.
   It supposedly has 'low crusting' when it dries.  The theory is
   important for a priming tube located next to the business end of
   the cartridge is needed to insure a proper 'prime' of the cartridge.
   If the tube becomes clogged with crust, then it cannot prime.

   Hewlett Packard has hinted on the Atari nets (where this topic
   first originated before migrating here) that DeskJets/DeskWriters
   will not be repaired and warranty claims voided if problems occur
   with the printer and the tube has crust in it.
3) My rebuttal to that:  I have been reinking cartridges since 1988
   and have had absolutely no crusting to occur in the prime tube.
   Comparing two HP printers, one that has been using reinked cartridges
   and one that has not, reveals no difference at all on the tubes or
   printer function.  Both printers produce crisp and sharp graphics.

    What about permanent ink?
    Well, in the discussion on the Atari nets, HP admitted that research
was being done, claiming that water soluable ink was the DeskJet/DeskWriter's
achille's tendon.  They were skeptical for the thermally triggered
capillary tubes are terrible sensitive to the type of ink and ink
quality.  Permanent ink just doesn't fit the criteria, YET.
    What about colored ink?
    I've been barely successful with red ink by Sheaffer.  Too much of
a hassle and I gave up on it.
DeskJet/DeskWriter's ink cartridges by injecting no more than two
CC's of Skrip jetblack ink into an almost empty cartridge.  It can
be a messy process if you slip and after about five refills, the
cartridge will suddenly give up all hopes of life.  Also, Hewlett
Packard Company is not too fond of refills.
    Make sure that you have a new cartridge on reserve, that you are
not refilling over your nice clean carpet, and that you don't ask
Hewlett Packard how to do this.  By some ingenuity, you can lower the
costs of your cartridges to the price of about $5.00/cartridge, bringing
this excellent printer's operating cost within the range of the "rest
of us".
    I hope this clarifies the issue a bit.

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 May 90 12:45:39 EDT
From: Mark Edward Toomey <MTOOMEY%UGA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Snapscreen 2.2

Thanks for all the help in locating Snapscreen 2.2. It works well, but I
am still unable to capture a screen with pulled down menus on the Mac II.
MenuSelect 2.5 works well on my SE, but not on the Mac II (all you get is
a 'boing') A friend suggested Flash-It & I'll see if that does it.

* Another puzzle * -- My boss's Mac II has Suitcase II, Mac Apple Zoom,
SAM 2.0, Moire 3.02 & DiskTop 4.0. Since installing DiskTop she's exper-
ienced some strange behavior which we're not sure is related to DiskTop
but thought we'd throw it out anyway. When trying to make a custom
Desktop pattern using DeskPat DA, the system crashes with an ID=25. This
happens some of the time. Sometimes the custom pattern will take & will
even remain after a restart but usually it crashes & brings up a grey
desktop pattern (even when the 256 color mode is selected from the Control
Panel???) Any ideas out there??

Mark Edward Toomey
BITNET: MTOOMEY@UGA
Internet: mtoomey@uga.uga.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 May 90 20:29:09 -0400
From: shahn@hstbme.mit.edu (Samuel Hahn)
Subject: Solarian II v1.02

Here is the latest version of Solarian II (1.02).

It is supposedly IIci compatible, but I have not tried it on a
IIci so I can't confirm or deny that.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/solarian-ii-102-part1.hqx; 176K
             /info-mac/game/solarian-ii-102-part2.hqx; 176K
             /info-mac/game/solarian-ii-102-part3.hqx; 176K
             /info-mac/game/solarian-ii-102-part4.hqx; 176K
             /info-mac/game/solarian-ii-102-part5.hqx; 165K]

------------------------------

Date: 1 May 90 13:01 +0000
From: DURTSCHIR%AC%CSC@csc.isu.edu
Subject: Sound Experiment Query

Hi Ya,

I'm working on a project that will require digitizing some sound, editing
different sounds together, then burning them into some EEPROMS or FLASH
memories to be clocked out through an amp and speaker.

I can use MacRecorder to do the digitizing but I'm not aware of any hardware
and software available to load those sounds into some memory IC's.

Is anyone aware of something that will run on a Mac+ that I can use?

Disclaimer:       "I never did it and I won't do it again".
(Nixon may have said it first)
Ralph Durtschi, Idaho State University Vo-Tech
Phone:      (208) 236-3256
Snail Mail: I.S.U. Box 8380, Pocatello Idaho 83209
E-Mail:     DURTSCHIR%AC%CSC@csc.isu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Apr 90 01:24:20 -0500
From: Erik A Johnson <johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Syquest Removable Drives Info

Recently, I posted a summary of the information I have about Syquest
Removable Drives (on comp.sys.mac.hardware and comp.periphs.scsi) and
many have sent me e-mail requesting all of the info I have, and
several suggested that I send this to info-mac (probably to go in
info-mac/reports directory).  So that is what I am doing.

As I said in the article in my summaries in c.s.m.h and c.p.scsi, I am
not responsible for any of the info here, nor do I work for any of
these people -- I'm just an ignorant grad student!  But I hope this can
be of some help to those thinking about purchasing a removable drive.

Erik A. Johnson, Graduate Student        \ Internet:  johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering  \
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign \

[Archived as /info-mac/report/syquest-removable-drives.txt; 21K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 May 90 16:41:37 EDT
From: "Fraebel, Trent" <SYSTRENT@ukcc.uky.edu>
Subject: Terminal Emulator

I was wondering if anyone knows of a terminal emulator that
would work on a MAC that is compatible with  IBM IND$FILE
file transfer program?

Trent Fraebel
systrent@ukcc.uky.edu
University of Kentucky