Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/26/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 25 May 90       Volume 8 : Issue 104

Today's Topics:

      [*] Quick Compacter 2.0.1.sit.hqx
      [*] Re: Info-Mac V8-I82 BoundingBox Information
      [*] Some useful code for THINK C 4.0
      Changing default Page Setup?
      Drawing Icons
      FANS
      Freshstart and ATM
      Hard Disk Crash, HELP!!
      hypercard-vcr interface
      Hypercard 2.0
      Large Theasaurus with MS Word
      LaserMax 1000 query
      latent defect in older macs
      Molula-2 for Mac
      More on disks
      NEEDED:Mac Expert System Shell
      NewPtr vs malloc?
      PC Semper image analysis file formats, Help!
      Problems using BlackBox 1.5
      rebuilding desktop
      Think Pascal 3.0
      Two answers for MACL

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sat, 28 Apr 90 23:02:24 PDT
From: GPR001Y%CALSTATE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] Quick Compacter 2.0.1.sit.hqx

Hello!
	This is version 2.0.1 of Quick Compacter. Quick Compacter is a
HyperCard stack compacter. When you use HyperCard stacks, you create
freespace, unused and wasted bytes that take up room on your disks.
Quick Compacter will reclaim this space.
	Quick Compacter can compact a single stack, multiple stacks, a folder
of stacks, sub folders of stacks, a volume of stacks, all mounted volumes and a
user-defined list of stacks. This version 2.0.1 has many more features than
version 2.0. This stack is shareware. Those who paid their shareware fee will
receive this version in the mail this week.
	If you have comments, questions or problems with this stack, please
contact me. Thank you.

Mark Elpers
Bitnet: GPR001Y@CCS.CSUSCC.CALSTATE.EDU
GEnie: M.Elpers
AOL: MarkElp

[Archived as /info-mac/card/quick-compacter-201.hqx; 123K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 APR 90 20:02:42 PDT
From: "Micro Mauler"  <MICRO2.SCHWER@crvax.sri.com>
Subject: [*] Re: Info-Mac V8-I82 BoundingBox Information

Enclosed is a PostScript program call BBFIG written by Ned
Baetchler (spell?) and Trevor Darrell for determining the
BoundBox of PostScript files. Simply preappend this PostScript
program to the PostScript file for which you want to determine the
BoundBox. Send the combined file to a PostScript printer and it
will print the PostScript image with a BoundingBox drawn around it
and the BoundingBox coordinates listed below the figure; the
BoundingBox coordinates are also returned in the print job log
file, if one exists (use PSend to get a log file  a Mac).

NOTE: BBFIG is for purists. I find it easier and more accurate to
simple print the figure and use a "points" ruler to measure the
BoundingBox.   --Len Schwer   micro2.schwer@sri.com

[Archived as /info-mac/util/postscript-bbfig.txt; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Apr 90 13:05 +0200
From: F86_FREDRIK@fyvax2.fy.chalmers.se
Subject: [*] Some useful code for THINK C 4.0

This is an archive of some code in THINK C 4.0 that I find
useful, and use in many of my programming projects.
Included are

*	CInstance - A class to implement object persistence (i.e
	a convenient way to use a preferences file).

*	driver - A class upon which to build drivers and DAs in a
	simple and convenient way.

*	PasStrs - A number of functions that lets you have look-alikes
	for the C string functions (e.g. strcat, strcpy, etc.) that
	works with Pascal strings.

*	A modified version of oops.c that includes a new function -
	sizeofobj - that is used by the CInstance class.

I hope this proves useful to you. Enjoy!
(This is completely free.)

+-------------------------+--------------------------------+
|   Sven Axelsson         |  d83_sven_a@tekno.chalmers.se  |
|   dep:t of Linguistics  |          (^^ best ^^)          |
|   univ. of Gothenburg   |        dlv_sa@hum.gu.se        |
|   SWEDEN                |      usdsa@seguc21.bitnet      |
+-------------------------+--------------------------------+

[Archived as /info-mac/source/c/think-c-various.hqx; 31K]

------------------------------

Date: 25 May 90 16:49 GMT
From: LAICHI.SPT@applelink.apple.com (Axis, Hector Rojas, Chile,ICC)
Subject: Changing default Page Setup?

Can somebody tell me what the official way is to change the default Page Setup
of a printer driver?  I am especially interested in the LaserWriter driver.
Our Spanish system software 6.0.x has the LaserWriter driver 5.1, 5.2 and 6.0
default Page Setup set to A4 Letter, but we prefer US Letter.

I remember the many different solutions to this problem that have shown up
during the last 5 years, such as direct modification of the printer driver,
several small utilities, and numerous magazine articles.

However, I would like to know what the recommended and safest way is, that
works for the latest printer drivers, especially the LaserWriter.

I appreciate your help!

-- Thomas Fruin       Apple Chile

   AppleLink: LAICHI.SPT (laichi.spt@applelink.apple.com)
   Internet:  tafruin@apple.cl

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 May 90 12:09 CDT
From: David Vernon <B645ZAB@utarlg.arl.utexas.edu>
Subject: Drawing Icons

	I have read Tech Note #55 concerning Icon List resources (ICN#'s)
and how the Finder draws them and I have hacked up some C that does this in
the form of a TCL Icon Class.  The one thing that this Tech Note does not
mention is how to get the outline of the mask (or whatever it actually is)
that is used when the Icon is being draged around by the mouse.  This is
something that I have not wanted to bend my brain on to much, so I am just
drawing a gray frame around the rectangle that encloses the Icon and leaving
it at that.  This is admitadly a wimpy solution, and with someones kind
help, I would like to cool it up some.  So if anyone knows the trick, I
would appriciate you dropping me a line.

	Many thanks in advance.

David Vernon
Automation And Robotics Research Institute
University Of TexasAt Arlington
Arlington Texas

B645ZAB@UTARLG.BITNET
B645ZAB@UTARLG.ARL.UTEXAS.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 90  08:27:23 EDT
From: ZAK@cu.nih.gov
Subject: FANS

>From:   Graeme <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
> We have a small network with a server and dedicated Mac Plus that's
> kept on all the time. Unfortunately, the air-conditioning is not
> kept on all the time, and since this is New Orleans, I think the
> Plus will overheat. I have a rather noisy Fanny Mac on my Plus at
> home. Does anyone know if other fans are quieter e.g. the Kensington
> one? Or was I just unlucky with my particular FM?

I've been using a Kensington System Saver (fan-cum-surge-protector)
on my Macintosh Plus for over 3 years, and I don't even notice that
it's there it's so quiet.  It also makes it convenient to turn on
the Mac and all of its peripherals at once with the button up front
and on the top.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 90 13:20:41 PLT
From: Chris Kinsman <22487863%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Freshstart and ATM

Is there any way to get these two to work in conjunction?  Every time I try
and load ATM when fresh start is active I get a message that ATM requires
additional system resources.  If I dump FreshStart everything works fine after
I take things back out of their folders.

Chris

|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Paths to my door...                  Chris Kinsman                |
| CIS: 76701.154@COMPUSERVE.COM        Washington State University  |
| BITNET: 22487863@WSUVM1              Dept of Computer Engineering |
| BITNET: KINSMAN@WSUVM1                                            |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
Acknowledge-To: <22487863@WSUVM1>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 90 23:21:20 PDT
From: Alex Pournelle <alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us>
Subject: Hard Disk Crash, HELP!!

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>      My 20 meg internal HD on my Mac SE just crashed. I was using WhiteKnight
>when the HD stopped spinning. I tried loading SilverLining 5.2 to see if I coul
>d recover the info or at least format it. Nothing would work, I couldn't reform
>at or recover the info. I need help on what I should do... Please, someone help
> me. Thanks a million...

If you need data recovery, we can help.  Keep us in mind!

	Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 90 15:33 EDT
From: TTHOMAS@ccmail.sunysb.edu
Subject: hypercard-vcr interface

Hypercard Gurus:

What hardware/software is necessary to control a VHS vcr from hypercard?
Thanks in advance!

				-tthomas@sbccmail.sunysb.edu
					@sbccmail.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 May 90 15:31:01 BST
From: Kevin 'fractal' Purcell <KPURCELL@liverpool.ac.uk>
Subject: Hypercard 2.0

I recently saw a mention (about getting something so that it would work with
the release) of Hypercard 2 in Wheels for the Mind, UK. It was a matter of
fact reference (no quote as my copy is 25 miles from where I'm typing this).
They also refered to "later this year" as to when it would appear.

The questions are:

1. Are Apple planing to release it with System 7 (they would get the biggest
distribution for free that way)?

2. Will it be delayed if System 7 ships late (this Dec from the latest rumours)

So what does MacLeak say about this -- we don't get it here.

Kevin 'fractal' Purcell
kpurcell @ liverpool.ac.uk

--------------- Don't bite my finger, look where it's pointing ----------------

These opinions are shareware.       S-U-R-F-A-C-E  S-C-I-E-N-C-E  C-E-N-T-R-E
Send me $10 if you like them.        Liverpool University, Liverpool L69 3BX

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 90  12:43:50 TST
From: DJAVI@TRBOUN.bitnet (Ferhat Djavidan)
Subject: Large Theasaurus with MS Word

Hello,

We need to learn using Large Theasarus with MS Word. Is there anyone who
used this facility? If so, could you contact me please?

Thanks in advance. Best regards,
Ferhat Djavidan

E-Mail: djavi@trboun.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 90 23:23:00 EDT
From: AAT%VTMSL.BITNET@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu
Subject: LaserMax 1000 query

Date: 23 May 1990, 23:22:31 EDT
>From: Asif Taiyabi              (703) 231-3501       AAT      at VTMSL
      Management Systems Lab.
To:   info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu

Greetings,

I am thinking of getting a LaserMax 1000 for our Lab here and before
I plunk down $8K for it I would like to hear from any user who has used
it.

Tech support tells me that the LaserMax is a postscript device, I have
looked over their catalogs and do not see this mentioned anywhere.
Currently the printer comes with a Nubus card that you insert in your
Macintosh, they intend to come up with a apple talk version sometime
later this year, does someone know how they intend to make this work ?

So, if anyone out there has bought one, I would appreciate hearing from
you, I *will* summarize the findings and post it.

Thankyou

Asif Taiyabi  AAT@VTMSL
Management Systems Lab.
Blacksburg, VA 24060
(703) 231-3501

------------------------------

Date: Thu 24 May 90 10:51:11-EDT
From: C. David Young <DYOUNG@a.isi.edu>
Subject: latent defect in older macs

I was taking my old, faithful mac apart again last night, a 128k model
vintage 1984 which has been upgraded to a 4 meg plus, when I discovered
something that shocked me.  (No, I did not accidently touch one of the
high voltage capacitors!)  You see, when the clock stopped working a
few days ago, I assumed that after six years(!) the battery had finally
given up the ghost.  However, a new battery did not titillate the
ticker any more than the old.  So I figured that one of the recent
upgrades had left a cable loose or something.  What I found made me
realize how lucky I was that the only thing that stopped working was
the clock.  There is a shield of heavy aluminum foil which fits around
the connectors and wraps around under the motherboard.  (I assume it's
either for emi shielding or cosmetic appearance.)  There is absolutely
nothing to keep this foil from shorting out against hundreds on
contacts on the underside of the motherboard, especially the big ones
protruding from the power supply connector!  I found a little dimple in
the foil where it had been grounding out the +4.5 volts coming from the
battery.  I am amazed this foil has not long since shorted out the
power supply, especially as many times as I and others have been into
this computer.

I don't know whether Apple fixed this problem in later models, but I
imagine that there are thousands of older model macs out there with
this latent defect.  If you have to get into your mac and find this
foil shield I have described, line the inside of the shield with
something like several layers of insulating tape before putting things
back together.  It could save you headaches and an expensive repair
bill sometime in the future.

Meanwhile, my clock is working again and I am a happy camper.  I wonder
how long that old battery would have really lasted...

David Young

P.S.  I guess it's possible that there was originally some kind of
insulator under the shield and the dealer that upgraded my mac to a plus
left it out.  I would be interested in hearing from other owners of
early macs who can confirm whether or not this is really as big a
problem as it appears.
-------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 90 15:42:17 BST
From: M.Ellis@cs.surrey.ac.uk
Subject: Molula-2 for Mac

Does anyone out there use it/sell it?
Any UK suppliers?

I'll summarise.

Thanks,
--
mark@cs.surrey.ac.uk

Mark Ellis, Computing Officer, Department of Mathematics
University of Surrey, Guildford GU2 5XH, Surrey, England

+483 571281 x2626

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 90 13:33 +0100
From: "Povl H. Pedersen" <ECO8941@ecostat.aau.dk>
Subject: More on disks

I have had some experience using DD disks on HD drives on a PC, and also
using HD disks in DD drives.

The PC does not check for the extra HD hole, so it is the responsibility
of the user to ensure that he/she uses the right disks. I few of the
other students thought they could save a bunch of money by using cheap disks,
but many of them has had write/read errors using DD disks as HD.

I also tried to reformat HD and HD formatted DD disks on a DD drive, but
this was very often impossible, as there was errors in the first track.
I then tried to change the structure ofthe magnetic surface by moving them
around VERY close to a magnetic field (a loudspeaker) for approx. 3-4 secs,
and this made them format quite OK.

I have also tried this technique on normal disks that had lots of errors,
which couldn't be formatted away, and this worked too. But after a month
or two extra use they were often bad again.

Most recently I had a 2 months old BASF HD disk that had been formatted on
a PC, which wouldn't format on my Mac SE. This could also be cured with
the magnetic field.

In Denmark it is normal that you get a lifetime warranty on all disks,
even on the no-name disks (but only if you buy from the cheap stores!).
When you come with a disk that will not format, then it is just thrown
out, and you are given a new. This is good service, but if you buy the
no-name disks at half the price, then there is much bigger risk that you
will loose data.

Povl H. Pedersen
Student at Dept. of Economics
Aarhus Ubiversitet
Denmark
******************
No disclaimer, here in Denmark everybody has responsibility for whatever
they say. Nobody can take their boss, parents, grandparents etc to court
for what the person says.

------------------------------

Date: 25 May 90 02:19:35 GMT
From: scb1@tank.uchicago.edu (Sam Blackman)
Subject: NEEDED:Mac Expert System Shell

As part of a course in AI, I really, really, really need to find an
expert system shell program for the Macintosh - preferably public
domain and FTP'able as I'm just a poor student on the South Side
of Chicago.  If you have any ideas or hints, please let me know !!
You can e-mail me at scb1@tank.uchicago.edu or post here.  Thanks much
in advance !!

Sam

--
Samuel C. Blackman        ! InterNet : scb1@tank.uchicago.edu   Link : UG0184
University of Chicago     ! Disclaimer : Who cares what I say? I'm a student !

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 90 10:57:10 EDT
From: bkirsch@nadc.nadc.navy.mil (B. Kirsch)
Subject: NewPtr vs malloc?

What is the difference between NewPtr and malloc in C?  When should
one be used over the other?
Thanks in advance,
           Barry Kirsch
MAIL:      Naval Air Development Center
           Code 5051
           Warminster PA, 18974-5000
PHONE:     (215) 441-1886
ARPANET:   bkirsch@NADC.NAVY.MIL

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 90 19:07 N
From: <MLAMMI%FINKUO.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PC Semper image analysis file formats, Help!

Hello netters,

Our department of Electron Microscopy will purchase a IBM compatible
80386 microcomputer and an application called PC Semper from SynOptics
to offer an equipment for image analysis. I now would appreciate
any knowledge whether the images captured by this program can be
stored in any format that be transferred to Macintosh. We have
SuperDrive in some of our Macs, so we could easily read IBM
formatted discs, if only the format would be suitable or
simply modified, most hopefully with an already existing converter.
So, anybody there with any help, please, reply to me.

Mikko Lammi
University of Kuopio
Department of Anatomy
Finland

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 May 90 12:17:47
From: alfonso@ercole.cefriel.it.cefriel.it (Alfonso Fuggetta)
Subject: Problems using BlackBox 1.5

I have recently installed Black Box 1.5 on my Mac SE/30. Although the
size of the SE/30 screen is not the best for Black Box, I was rather
satisfied with the functionalities that it adds to my desktop.

Unfortunately, when Black Box is installed, I am not able to see the
dialog boxes for "Page setup ..." and "Print ..." anymore: what happens
is that the dialog boxes are active (if you press return or escape the
related action is performed), but you don't see anything on the screen.

It seems that programs display the dialog boxes in a "virtual screen
region" outside of the physical one.

Can someone give me any hints?

|  Alfonso Fuggetta                  c/o CEFRIEL              |
|  Senior Researcher                 Via Emanueli, 15         |
|                                    20126 Milano - Italy     |
|  Tel. +39-2-66100083   Reply to: alfonso@imicefr.bitnet     |
|  FAX  +39-2-66100448                                        |

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 90 09:57:16 CDT
From: hyde@ngstl1.csc.ti.com (Clint Hyde 343-7709 Strong Typing is for people with Weak Memories!)
Subject: rebuilding desktop

I had to rebuild a desktop file on a cartridge recently, and uniFinder didn't
have enough workspace to do the job, it fell short repeatedly (resulting in
unlinked docs/APPLs, which was why I was rebuilding to start with).

how does one increase the available space for uniFinder? i tried doing so with
MultiFinder, but it didn't do anything. it looks like there's a fixed-size
table-storage-space in uniFinder for doing anything, and I ran out each time.

finally I simply dragged a bunch of things of the cartridge, enough to avoid
running out of space, and then dragged them back on. things were then OK. this
is NOT the right way, however.

 -- clint

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 May 90 13:03:57 CDT
From: IB031BU <IB031BU%TCUAMUS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Responses: HD and time clock queries

I recently posted two problems to the digest:

1.  I have been having problems with my hard disk (Mac IIcx, 40 Mb
    internal hard disk, System 6.0.5).  Sometimes while in an
    application, when the Mac finishes accessing the hard disk, the
    drive light will go off, but a rapid-fire "nah-nah-nah-nah-..."
    noise will continue (or maybe it's "tat-tat-tat-tat-..."?).
    I can usually get it to stop by clicking, pulling down
    a menu, or clicking an item on a menu.  Any idea what's going on?

2.  I would like to have a piece of software that would allow me to
    keep track of time spent using the Mac for consulting, research,
    teaching, and entertainment.  This would make filing Schedule C
    for the IRS much easier.  Does anyone know of a "time clock"?

Several people responded to the hard disk question and there were
others having the same difficulty.  Many thanks to Dave Platt,
Curtis Generous, and Craig Garnett for their replies.  Some excerpts:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The disk noise you're hearing is very probably the famous/infamous
"Quantum PROM fix for a sticky arm".  One batch of Quantum drives sold
by Apple were manufactured with a lubricant in the arm mechanism which
tends to get gummy as time goes by;  it would cause the arm to stick
at power-up time (drive would not spin up), or to seek to the wrong
track and have to re-seek (hurting performance).  Quantum released
a firmware upgrade which addresses this problem;  it runs extra
current through the arm during the power-up cycle (to ensure that the
drive spins up OK), and exercises the arm with long-distance seeks
(the "nah-nah-nah" you hear) if the drive begins to suffer from
missed-track errors while seeking.  The combination of extra current
and periodic exercise should keep the lubricant from getting gummy.
Short summary: don't worry about what's happening;  it's OK.  If you
really dislike it, you can exercise the disk overnight (by running
SCSI Evaluator, or by using a disk-optimizing program such as
DiskExpress II);  this will loosen up the lubricant enough that the
drive won't suffer from missed-track seek errors and go into its own
cycle of calisthenics.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I too have heard this sound on my cx. I have a 105Meg Quantum drive in it,
and it does that same thing sometimes...click on a menu or open an icon
and it usually goes away. I thought it was the drive "retrying" when it was
failing to read a sector, but I tested the thing and it's fine. I suspect
it might be something like that drive fix patch to keep the lubricant from
getting too sticky that they put in when all those Quantum 40MB's were failing
to boot a while back.

PS Yeah, no one at the service place here believes me about it, either. :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Some brands (GCC drives for example which are Quantums) will in areas of
high humidity, periodically cause the heads to start seeking back and forth
for several minutes to help spread the internal lubrication of moving parts.
I too had thought that my drive was going bad on me, but was relieved to
find out this after calling the GCC technical help line.  The symptoms
were: the lack of disk activity light, the randomness (?sp), and the
fact that it stopped when you caused some other disk activity to occur.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I have a timer DA on my system
that runs 'automatically' from the time you boot up the Mac.  It can be
stopped, read (time copied to a journal), and reset back to zero.  For
instance, it tells me now that I have had the Mac on for 16 minutes.  It also
toggles to clock mode, and best of all, it is FREEWARE.
If this would fit your needs, reply and I will Stuffit, Binhex, and send it
along to you via Bitnet.

Dr. Francis J. Van Wetering
BITNET:  FJVANWET@UNOMA1
INTERNET:  FJVANWET@ZEUS.UNOMAHA.EDU
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
The program you want may be Time Logger, a DA by Loftus Becker ($15). You
can reach him, according to the BMUG catalog, at 41 Whitney St., Hartford,
CT 06105. Or call BMUG (415 849 9114) and ask for their disk DAs 2.
There are also some fancy commercial programs, e.g. Tine is Money, Collier,
512-476-1110 ($269), TimeMinder, Aatrix, 800 426 0854 ($295).

Graeme Forbes
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Thanks for the responses.

Brian Gray
Texas Christian University
Bitnet:  IB031BU@TCUAMUS

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 90 11:57 N
From: <NMULLER%CLSUNI51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Think Pascal 3.0

I am a very satisfied user of THINK (previously Lightspeed) Pascal since version
1.0. Now I have been reading advertising for Think Pascal 3.0, but have never
received an upgrade notice from Symantec. Is there no upgrade path for
registered users? Or is it only available in the US?

Thanks to anybody who knows an answer.

Norbert Mueller
(currently University of Lausanne,
home address University of Linz)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 90 13:22:11 -0400
From: alms@cambridge.apple.com (Andrew L. M. Shalit)
Subject: Two answers for MACL

  >It seems there is an error in the OBFUN (*editable-text-dialog-item*
  >dialog-item-key-event-handler).

Version 1.3.1 of Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp (MACL) had a bug
in editable text dialog-items.  If one of these items was in a
subview of the window, typed text would apear in the wrong place.

This bug (along with a couple of others) is fixed in version 1.3.2.
APDA is currently in the process of shipping 1.3.2 updates to everyone
who got 1.3.1.  In the meantime, you could try defining  a subclass
of *editable-text-dialog-item*.  give it a definition of
dialog-item-key-event-handler which does a view-focus, and then calls
usual-dialog-item-key-event-handler.

  >The second question concerns the use of MACL on a MacintoshIIfx: does it
  >use the 68882 coprocessor ? We compared Allegro CommonLisp on HP9000/350
  >and MACL on MacIIfx with Gabriel's Benchmarks. MacIIfx is comparable to
  >better in many cases but destructive operations, writing (either to file
  >or screen) and numerical computations (FFT), hence the question. By the way,
  >is there some hope to see writing optimized (it is especially noticeable
  >when printing) in a near future

There are a few different issues here:

  1) all version of MACL use the floating point coprocessor when one is
     present.  However, we still don't compile floating point operations
     inline, and we still cons on intermediate values.  Both these things
     slow us down.

  2) it's nice to see the positive comparisons compared to Allegro Common
     Lisp running on other workstations.  However, keep in mind that
     MACL (Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp) and ACL (Allegro Common Lisp)
     are related in name only.  The implementations are completely
     different.  ACL was developed by Franz, Inc.  MACL was developed
     by Coral Software, which has since been acquired by Apple.  The
     names are similar due to an old (and possibly confusing) marketting
     arrangement by Franz and Coral.

  3) The new implementation of our printer is objected oriented.  There
     are many places where default behavior is used, where we could get
     a speed increase by writing a specific function.  For example,
     string output defaults to outputting one character at a time.
     Obviously, this default behavior is slower than just blasting
     out the whole string in one swell foop.  What particular uses
     of writing were you running into?  Was it sending strings out
     to files?

BTW, anyone interested in discussions of MACL should be aware of
two mailing lists currently supported by our lab in Cambridge.
These are
	info-macl@cambridge.apple.com
and
	bug-macl@cambridge.apple.com

To get your named added to info-macl, send a request to

	info-macl-request@cambridge.apple.com

Hope this helps.

    -andrew shalit
     alms@cambridge.apple.com

disclaimer: I'm one the developers, so I know
            more than is good for me.

End of Info-Mac Digest