Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/30/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 29 May 90       Volume 8 : Issue 106

Today's Topics:

      [*] ADBProbe 1.2
      [*] Boston MacWorld
      [*] Monitor Adjust screen app
      [*] RecoverWordDoc 1.2
      [*] Scroll 2
      Anonymity and Removing Registration Names
      DiskExpressII
      Grappler LQ : using printer fonts
      Help, how to handle TIFF pictures
      How to Link Splitted Files from the Archives ?
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #105
      language databases?
      Microphone Kermit problems
      multi-dingus. commercial s/w.
      PostScript Interpreters
      Quota?
      Readme for uupc v2.0 (unofficial) for LSC v4.0
      REGIONS
      SE/30 memory upgrade & ADB Keyboard
      SingleShare/Sharing a HP LaserJet Series II
      SUMMARY: Appleshare PC 2 vs. MS Word 4
      two quests

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 01 May 90 21:38:26 EDT
From: "Henry M. Pita" <HMPQC%CUNYVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] ADBProbe 1.2

Ok, here is the companion cdev to SCSIProbe. It tells you what ADB devices
are connected to your Mac.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/adb-probe-12.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 May 90 17:35:09 AEST
From: geo@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (George Bray)
Subject: [*] Boston MacWorld

Boston MacWorld, The Australian Perspective.

This HyperCard stack outlines some hilites of the Boston
MacWorld Expo, held in August 1989. It covers many of the
technological innovations introduced at the show.

It's a brief recording of some nifty Mac products
as seen by a group of tourists from Australian Apple dealerships.
Designed to go with all the tee-shirt and button
memorabillia the Bostonians love to share with us. :-)

Technological jargon is kept to a minimum (where possible!)
and sound is used as a navigation aid. Printing is disabled
to save the trees.

Commercial product information is not included.

FREE!
George Bray              >    CONNECT:       GEO  Telephone:    +61-2-411-3222
Avante Systems           >   Earthnet:   peg:geo  Facsimile:    +61-2-415-2212
27 Albert Avenue         >  AppleLink:  AUST0150  QuickMail:    +61-2-415-2210
Chatswood 2067 AUSTRALIA > CompuServe: 72711,253  Internet : geo@ditsyda.OZ.AU

[Archived as /info-mac/card/boston-macword-1989.hqx; 221K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 May 1990 17:11:17 PDT
From: Matt Mora <mxmora@unix.sri.com>
Subject: [*] Monitor Adjust screen app

About Monitor Adjust Screen

Back when the Mac II's first came out, they came with
a monitor cdev that could display screen test lines.
Some time ago Apple changed the cdev and it no longer
contains the test screen option. Thats why I wrote this program.

This program displays the test screen pattern that the old
monitors cdev use to.

This program is freeware but not public domain. The copyright belongs to me.

Matthew Xavier Mora
MXM Designs*

mxmora@unix.sri.com
 - - - - - - - - - -

[Archived as /info-mac/util/monitor-adjust.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 May 90 12:07:00 EDT
From: David Escalante <descalan@bbn.com>
Subject: [*] RecoverWordDoc 1.2

RecoverWordDoc pulls the text out of corrupted Microsoft Word files.  A
nice way to get at least some of your work back....  Downloaded from
GEnie.
--------
David Escalante                             Internet: descalante@bbn.com
(617)873-1814                               Applelink:  N0608
Room 20/807                                 UUCP: {backbone}!bbn!descalan
[Archived as /info-mac/util/recover-word-doc-12.hqx; 15K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 May 90 14:38:26 EDT
From: David Escalante <descalan@bbn.com>
Subject: [*] Scroll 2

Scroll2 is an INIT that let you change the shape of the scroll bar
arrows to one of several styles, and also lets you adjust the pattern of
the scroll bars.  Very nice.
--------
David Escalante                             Internet: descalante@bbn.com
(617)873-1814                               Applelink:  N0608
Room 20/807                                 UUCP: {backbone}!bbn!descalan
[Archived as /info-mac/init/scroll-2.hqx; 39K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 90 09:03:56 EDT
From: "Keith E Gatling  [315] 443-3285" <RSKEG%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Anonymity and Removing Registration Names

Actually,  I  think that  the  entire  issue  is  a moot  point.  Why?
Because  there's   really  no  need   for  it  in  the   first  place.

When I get  a new piece of  software, I never run it  from the floppy.
I copy it directly from the floppy  to the hard disk, and *then* I run
it. The  first run  is generally when  it asks you  to enter  all that
registation info,  and since  it's the hard  disk copy  that's getting
the information,  and not the master  copy, it's a very  simple matter
to  replace the  "branded" hard  drive copy  with an  "anonymous" copy
>From  the master  in the  event of  a misspelling  or transfer  of the
software to someone else.

Please don't tell  me that I'm the  only one who ever  thought of this
solution.

keg

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 90 10:35:57 +0100
From: J.Pearce@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: DiskExpressII

I would very much appreciate any feedback on DiskExpressII (the
hard disk defragmentor). Particularly whether it just defragments
files, or if it also defragments free space as well.

John R. Pearce.

jpearce@uk.ac.ucl.cs

Computer Science Department,
University College London.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 90 22:16:51 +0200
From: GHGAXBA%BLEKUL11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Grappler LQ : using printer fonts

In my previous article about the Grappler LQ (GLQ) I mentioned that it
was impossible to use the internal printer fonts. Yesterday I discovered
that is not quite true. The GLQ manual doesn't mention this, but here is
how I produced printer output in the LetterQuality internal printer fonts
of my Epson LQ550:

It is quite simple: just use Monaco 10 point. If you then select draft
printing from your print dialog box, output on the printer will be fine.
>From the printer control panel, I then could select the various resident
printer fonts. Bold and underline printing is supported.

The output produced like this looks marvellous : you have
to be an expert to destinguish it from text output by a
laser printer.

It seems a bit contradictory: draft printing in LQ, but it works fine.

Only drawback: Monaco is a non-proportional font, so I can't print on
my Epson in proportional. I guess this could be done if I found the
equivalent font on the Mac. Does anybody know what font you have to use
on a Mac for an Imagewriter LQ to produce proportional draft printing ?

GHGAQBA@BLEKUL11.BITNET             Karl Pottie
GHGAXBA@BLEKUL11.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 90 21:16 +0100
From: "Povl H. Pedersen" <ECO8941@ecostat.aau.dk>
Subject: Help, how to handle TIFF pictures

I have recently got some pictures of myself scanned, and I do have them in
TIFF format (and PICT2). Is there any program to scale them into large size ?
they are about 2x3cm now.

I want to transfer them to FullWrite Professional (The best Mac wordprocessor
if you have at least 2MB RAM and a HD, slow startup (25 secs on a SE), but
average to high speed when running, lots of features but no math).
So I need to get a nice picture, with the right colors (or rather dithering)
to the clipboard in 2 color mode, so that I can paste it in and let the text
flow around it.

I would prefer PD or shareWare or ????Ware or whatever. (or maybe someone
offering to do some conversion for me, but be warned, it is only a couple of
pictures of me).

| Povl H. Pedersen      |  InterNet address: ECO8941@ecostat.aau.dk       |
| Student               |-------------------------------------------------|
| Dept. of Economics    | Spare time Mac Programmer                       |
| Aarhus Universitet    | Own Hardware: Mac SE, 4MB + 45MB HD (homegrown) |
| DENMARK               | Interests: Macintosh, C,  boardgames            |
|=========================================================================|
[ Why I don't keep things in the right order ?       I understand Chaos ! ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 90 14:48
From: "Peter Maurer"                              <RY06%DKAUNI2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: How to Link Splitted Files from the Archives ?

Hello,
in the info-mac archives, sometimes files are splitted into two
or more parts (e.g. xy-z-part1.hqx and xy-z-part2.hqx). How can
I link these parts together before using BinHex to unpack the
files, which would bring an error if the files are not together.
Do I have to write a special C-Program for this task, or is there
another trick or a utility to perform it ?
Althogh it might be stupid not to have an idea, I surrender

against this problem, and my last hope is to get an answer
in this list.

Thank you in advance
Peter

Peter Maurer
RY06@DKAUNI2 at DEARN
Computer-center Karlsruhe University
Programmers information service

[You can use the file /info-mac/util/unity.hqx, or simply append the files
 together in order using a word processor. Hqx files are special text files
 and can be edited with any text editor. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 90 09:34:26 EDT
From: John Mignault <AP201058@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #105

>Date: Mon, 30 Apr 90 22:10 PST
>From: Tigger <GREG@pomona.claremont.edu>
>Subject: [*] Posted: Mickey Mouse
>
>Due to almost-overwhelming response (twenty five and counting), here
>are the two best of the Mickey the Sorcerer images that I received

I find it interesting that you would allow this to be posted. As far as I can s
ee, this constitutes a violation of Disney's copyright on the image of Mickey M
ouse. Wasn't there recently an item on the list concerning the use of Calvin an
d Hobbes cartoons as startup screens? And that their syndicate said that even i
f you weren't selling the images, you still couldn't use them? Why is this infr
ingement any different? Is it because Disney is a huge corporation? They do pro
secute appropriations of their characters (witness the Snow White flap two year
s ago at the Oscar show) I don't really think I would've said anything, except
that further on in the same issue of the digest, you went on to reassure someon
e that the "Anonymity" program had legitimate uses, and was not meant to encou
rage software piracy.

I often hear about how awful it is to pirate software. How the author has worke
d long and hard on it, how it's a violation of copyright, etc, etc. Somebody wo
rked long and hard on Mickey the Sorcerer. Bill Watterston works long and hard
on Calvin and Hobbes. Please take their rights to reproduction of their materia
l as seriously as you take Microsoft's to copies of Word 4. There is no differe
nce between the two. Otherwise, all the (good) arguments about not copying soft
ware don't have a leg to stand on.

John Mignault
AP201058@BROWNVM

Disclaimer: The opinions are mine, not my employer's. So there.

[I would say that the difference is that the mickey files in /art do not
 deprive Disney of any revenue, whereas software piracy clearly reduces sales
 of software products. However, I'm not a legal expert, and if there's a
 consensus that the files are illegal/illegitimate, I will certainly remove
 them. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 90 13:45:11 EDT
From: Mark Seidenberg <INMK%MCGILLB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: language databases?

I do research on things like how children learn to read.  In
doing this research, I could use a couple of different kinds of
data bases, and I'm wondering if anyone on the net could
suggest how to create or obtain them.  Here's what I need:

1.  A list of all English words, their pronunciations and their
parts of speech.  I realize that there are a number of
dictionaries available on disk or CD-ROM, but I need to be
able to search through the list in various grep-like ways
(e.g., give me all the nouns that are 5 letters long and
contain the vowel /i/).

Can this be done with any commercially-available
software?  Would it be possible to search a dictionary
on CD-ROM in appropriate ways?  Or
what about using one of the dictionaries that come
with spelling checkers like Lookup?  I would like
to be able to search one of these lists in interesting
ways, but all of the spelling dictionaries that
I know of  are compressed or encrypted.  Is it
ever possible to make these into ASCII files?
Or are the compression/encryption schemes used
by, say, Microsoft tightly held corporate secrets?

2.  Along the same lines, I would like to be able to look at a
very large sample of written English, and answer queries
like: how many times is the ambiguous word TIRE used
in its "wheel" sense or in its "sleepy" sense?  How often is
the verb RUN used transitively or intransitively?  Ideally I
would want to find all of the instances of a word and the
sentence contexts in which they occur.  Here I thought
maybe I could use something like an encyclopedia on CD-
ROM.  That's a big text, but again the question is whether
I could do the right sorts of grep-like searches, given
that it's probably an encrypted file.

I'd appreciate hearing from people who have any suggestions.

Mark Seidenberg
Department of Psychology
McGill University
Montreal PQ Canada

INMK@MCGILLB.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 90 08:26:06 MDT
From: Bob Bolt <BBOLT%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Microphone Kermit problems

Joao Portinari writes:
=After I received the MicroPhone II version 3.0 upgrade, I am
=no longer able to use Kermit to down/upload files from my
=bitnet node (actually, two nodes: one running MTS on an IBM,
=the other a VAX).
=I have tried changing all settings, etc., with no avail.
=However, I ahd no trouble at all using a PC compatible
=running ProComm at the other end (connecting the Mac to it
=through a null modem cable).

I am also having problems with Microphone's new version. Whenever I download
a text file using Kermit, after 30 seconds to 2 minutes, Microphone reports
that the micro has sent a NAK to the host. Software Ventures feel this is
caused by an old version of Kermit on the host. However, I can use White
Knight to download files without any problem.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Software Ventures suggests that
we install the latest version of Kermit on the host, but there must be
another solution. I have tried downloading using various comm parameters
and have tried 3 Kermit protocols: 8 bit, 16 bit and CRC-16.

Software Ventures is unwilling to modify their software because they have
not had any other reports of this problem. If you have run into this, let
me know and I will forward your message to them or contact Jeff Songster
in Tech Support.

Bob Bolt                    |   Bitnet: BBOLT@UALTAVM
Instructional Tech Centre   |   CI$: 75410,2754
University of Alberta       |   AppleLink: BBOLT@UALTAVM.BITNET@DASNET#

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 90 09:56:49 CDT
From: hyde@ngstl1.csc.ti.com (Clint Hyde 343-7709 Strong Typing is for people with Weak Memories!)
Subject: multi-dingus. commercial s/w.

due to a recent disaster (blew away a disk's directory), I had to revert to
system 6.0. trying to use multi-dingus sure is flaky: things quit unexpectedly
(not by aborting and giving the "unexpectedly quit" message, but normal
termination behavior without my having caused it. any ideas?

print monitor is hammered, too. the jobs get spooled OK, but then nothing ever
happens.

I'm going after 6.0.5 shortly, hoping that will correct it.

SUM II got me out of trouble on that disaster, and again yesterday when multi-
dingus just froze the machine doing something.

at an auction recently, I came up with a bunch of shrink-wrapped copies of

MacPaint 1.X   - the last version before 2
Switcher
MacWrite 5.0   - with spelling checker
AppleShare 1   - the 256-machine version

be happy to let anyone have one who wants one...

 -- clint

hyde@ngstl1.csl.ti.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 90  15:24:32 TST
From: DALFE%TRBOUN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: PostScript Interpreters

Greetings from the hills overlooking the Bosphorus (Istanbul, Turkey)

I and several of my colleagues are DeskWriter users and we would
like to be able to print PostScript on these wonderful, high resolution
printers.
It looks like there are several advertised products out there:
- TScript
- UltraScript
- Freedom of Press
They all claim that they will help you print PostScript on a multitude
of non-PostScript printers. Some offer additionally fonts, built-in
spoolers etc.

So, we would appreciate some feedback on this issue:
-Does anybody uses these products;
-Can they handle PD Type 3 fonts;
-How fast/slow they are? (I have a Mac+ with 4MB, no accelerator;
this is typical of most of my colleagues here)

Any comment, suggestion, criticism will be much appreciated.
It is very difficult for us to return software from Turkey, if the
product doesn't live to our expectation!

Note: Please send your comments directly to me; I will
      summarize them for the net.

Nuzhet Dalfes
Institute of Environmental Sciences
Bogazici University
80815 Bebek TURKEY
BITNET: DALFE @ TRBOUN

------------------------------

Date: MON, 28 May 90 11:32:25 EDT
From: "Marc Dionne" <TRRMICR%UQTR.UQuebec.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Quota?

I have to manage a Macintosh Lab in my University. We use Netware for our PC
and Macintosh.

I plan to buy a new utility named Quota. Does anyone have experience with this
utility?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc Dionne
Service de l'informatique
Universite du Quebec a Trois-Rivieres
3351 Boul. Des Forges
Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada
G9A 5H7

TRRMICR@UQUEBEC.ca
(819) 376-5100

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 90 10:12:40 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Readme for uupc v2.0 (unofficial) for LSC v4.0

I attempted to send this to Alen Shapiro <alen@hplabs.hp.com>, who posted
UUPC to info-mac. It came back as a bad address, so I'm putting it out here.
If anyone knows where Alen is, I'd like to know, so I can contact him
directly. Additionally, if anyone has gotten this package to work, and would
like to share any experiences with me, please do so. If interest warrants,
I'll summarize to the net.

=:As requested here is my unofficial version of uupc for Mac-OS (v2.0).
=:
=:The distribution is made in the form of a configured hierarchy, it
=:will run from this hierarchy from floppy or hard disk. To run from
=:floppy, you might like to backup and remove the sources in :usr:src.
=:
=[...]
=Alen,
=   I've gotten this copy of uupc v2.0 from info-mac, and am having some
=trouble getting it up and running. In particular, my problems are as
=follows:
=  The first problem I have is with the systems file, aka L.sys. I'm having
=real problems with getting dialins to connect correctly. For instance, uupc
=keeps sending ATZ's to my modem, when that's certainly the last thing I
=want! I've tried using direct connect (DIR), as well as Hayes (HAYES) strings
=in the command line, to no avail.
=  Secondly, uupc doesn't seem to want to read my input files. I assume that
=they should read like the command line, eg
=
=        'uupc -shostname!filename localfilename<cr>'
=
=  Is this correct? Having the ability to use the input file, rather than
=typing the command line each time would make trying to solve my other
=problems a whole lot easier. Thanks for your help!
=
=tom c
=
=                           = Every Day is Earth Day =
=          ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil     BITNET: Tcora@DACTH01.BITNET
=                UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora
=

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 90 15:52:50 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: REGIONS

Hello folks.
I have some problems with regions which I hope some you can solve.
code segment:

rgn = NewRgn ();
OpenRgn ();
  MoveTo (-5000, -5000);
  LineTo (100, 100);
  LineTo (400, 300);
  LineTo (-5000, -5000);
CloseRgn (rgn);
PaintRgn (rgn);

This doesn't work. In fact, after a while, Think C 4.0 bombs. I have checked
the rgnSize and it is negative. Does the 32k limit still holds? What's wrong?
Can anyone help? IM Vol1 said the rgn can be created anywhere in the coordinate
system (-32000, -32000, 32000, 32000), but it doesn't seem so.

Please reply to me at ISSTTH@NUSVM. Thanks.log impt1

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 90 10:28:05 EDT
From: perez@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Subject: SE/30 memory upgrade & ADB Keyboard

Hi,

I have two unrelated questions:

1) I have a friend that is about to buy memory for
her SE/30.  She heard from another friend that too
much memory on the SE/30 can overheat it.  Is this
true?  She is thinking about 5MB or 8MB.

2) I am having problems with my ADB keyboard.  The
plug on the left hand side of it is loose.  Can this
be repaired?

Please respond to me, and I will summarize for the
net.

Manuel A. Perez
perez@itd.nrl.navy.mil
Human Computer Interaction Lab
Naval Research Lab

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 90 09:50 CDT
From: ADUS10@jetson.uh.edu
Subject: SingleShare/Sharing a HP LaserJet Series II

Hi,

As anyone successfully used SingleShare.  It allows you to PUBLISH folders on
you Mac to the network.  In affect making your Mac a fileserver.  Pretty cute
stuff but it still seems to have a few bugs.  It will one day be part of System
7 I understand.  I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, etc related to
using SingleShare. I am deciding what to recommend to the VP so he can work fromhome and access his Mac at work.  I am leaning towards Liason for access to the
network, and SingleShare for accessing the files on his Mac at work.  I have
tried Timbuktu, I like it, but the CONTROL feature I found to be too slow and
inefficient to work with over the phone lines.  On the network it seems quicker.
Also, anyone trying to share an HP LaserJet Series II with Macs and PC's.  I am
working with one of our users trying to successfully use an Extended Systems
card to share the printer with 2 PC's and a Mac.  The Mac is the only on having
problems and I suspect the software "Printworks".  I have had more trouble with
the settings on this and with getting the user to remember how to use it!
Anyone aware of another product that may do this better? What is the latest
version of PrintWorks.  I can't even get the software company to answer my callsabout the problem.  I told my boss this may require that I personnally visit thecompany in Hawaii.  I am soo dedicated, its horrible.....

Jeana C. Rogers
User Specialist                   JROGERS@UHOU
                                  ADUS10@JETSON.BITNET
University of Houston

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 90 16:12:20 EDT
From: Len Hatfield <ENGLISH@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu>
Subject: SUMMARY: Appleshare PC 2 vs. MS Word 4

MAC/PC NETFOLK:

THANKS AND WHOOPS!:
First, thanks to all who responded--especially Mike Shoemaker, Jim
McKinney, and Jill Williams--the net really came through on this
one.  We now have direct printing from MS Word 4.0 to our Apple
LaserWriter II NT on a small Phonenet LAN.

SUMMARY:
Despite my Apple dealer-rep's claim that my troubles with MS Word 4.0
and APSH pc 2 were due to system memory shortage on the PCs, according
to Shoemaker of Apple's Network Connectivity Development this is
"hogwash"--the troubles have to do with network compatibility, NOT the
amount of system ram.

McKinney and others graciously offered his recently posted fix for
Word 5.0's .INI and .PRD files, but Microsoft substantially changed the
structure of both in the move from Word version 4 to 5, so the Word 5
fix won't fit the earlier version.

Fortunately, Williams shared the effective fix.  She had gotten Word 4
to run with Tops netware by making some changes (very similar to
McKinney's) to 4's .ini files (nothing required for the .prd).  She
later switched to Appleshare PC 2.0, left the earlier changes in place,
and found that Word printed fine from the DOS machines.  I append below
Jill's clear and helpful instructions for all of us who still use Word
4--McKinney's changes for version 5.0 have gotten universal praise.

One last item: Microsoft's phone-support-folk say to be sure to set
DOS to do "infinite retries" on the printer port to which the LW is
attached, since in vanilla form its 512k ram will take a fair amount of
time getting the postscript page ready to print.  This is done with
the DOS "mode" command, usually from the autoexec.bat, thus:

                    MODE LPT1:,,P

If you do this, be sure NOT to set Appleshare PC itself to no timeouts,
since doing so will well and truly hang your system.

Thanks again, one and all.

                    _________________________________
  Len Hatfield     /                                 \
  ________________/ English Department, Williams 216  \________________
  _______________/ Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061 \_______________

MODIFICATIONS REQUIRED TO USE MS WORD 4.0 WITH APPLESHARE OR OTHER
      NETWORKS
                      From: Jill Williams <jill@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>

You need to make three changes to the ini files--there are probably two
of them for version 4, one for landscape and one for portrait, called
postscrp.ini and postscrl.ini.

   (1) First copy current files to *.old in case you screw up.

   (2) Load .ini file into word.
       a. Comment out two lines at beginning by inserting % in the
          beginning. Lines are "userdict /msdict known$stop if" AND
          "serverdict begin 0 exitserver".  Now they should look like
          this:
             %userdict /msdict known $stop if
             %serverdict begin 0 exitserver
       b. Search for "/PS." The line will look like this:
             /PSe $ ... currentfile closefile ... def
          Remove the two words "currentfile closefile" but leave
          anything else inside the curly braces alone.
       c. At the very end of the file is a diamond shape, a Control-D
          (hex 04), which you should delete. You will actually see two
          of them, one which is part of the file and the other, the EOF
          mark from Word...it will only let you delete the first.

   (3) Save the file without formatting. This ini file is now network
       compatible. Repeat these steps with the other driver. Reboot
       your computer and you should be able to print.

One other thing to look for is to make sure that you have the port set
properly--I know this sound awfully elementary, but since I made this
mistake, I figure others can also...Word by default suggests LPT1 in
the Print Options screen...and since I have the LaserWriter installed
as LPT3, you can understand that I had difficulty printing even after I
fixed the ini file...

The directions for Word 5 are exactly the same except that there is
only one ini file, and the first change is to comment out the first
four lines instead of two. To comment out the lines, insert TWO % marks
at the beginning of the first four lines which are not already
commented out.

These changes have to do with Word and a networked PostScript device
and are not specific to either TOPS or AppleShare.
============================END OF MS WORD 4.0 MODIFICATIONS ===========

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 90 22:08:53 +0300
From: "David L. Hirschberg" <BNHIRSCH%WEIZMANN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: two quests

Dear People,

1.  Does anyone know if Connect has a gateway to Internet for MacNet yet?

2.  Can someone send me a brief tutorial on how to use the 'ftp anonymous'
for getting files off main frames.

Thank you.

David Hirschberg
Israel