Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (05/31/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 31 May 90       Volume 8 : Issue 107

Today's Topics:

      [*] Multi-station - a vt320 emulator
      [*] Tidy it Up!, v1.0
      Anonymity's uses
      Any experiences with Invoicing or Slidemaking software?
      Bitnet access from Mac ?
      Brown University (?) C.S. Edutcational software
      Color Options for SE/30
      Database backend query: 4th Dimension vs Oracle
      Desperately Seeking Compactor
      DiskExpressII
      DOS Emulators
      Grappler LQ
      How to hide the not-to-be-hidden menu bar
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #106
      Jasmine Troubles...
      Mac-Spectrophotometer link
      MACBOOKS
      Need help on returning a Miniscribe HD
      Posting in reference to Unix to Mac networking and Gatorboxes
      Questionairre on what you want in a program
      Railgun 030 specs
      Resolving font conflicts
      scanning data
      Those controversial postings...

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu,  3 May 90  08:24:07 EDT
From: Lloyd%UMass.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] Multi-station - a vt320 emulator

This is Multi-station-320, a vt320 terminal emulator, I consider it the
best vt series emulator for the Mac :).  This is my first Mac program, I
wrote it during my winter break from school.  Read the included documentation
*cough* and the about box for more info.

Chris Lloyd
Lloyd@umass.bitnet                 - bitnet
cabbagehead@saturn.ucc.umass.edu   - X400/internet
cabbagehead@mars.ucc.umass.edu     - internet

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/multistation-320.hqx; 138K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 May 90 10:47:17 EDT
From: Tom Prusa <TPRUSA@ccvm.sunysb.edu>
Subject: [*] Tidy it Up!, v1.0

Here is the frequently requested, widely acclaimed Tidy It Up! utility.
It reorganizes your system folder (in a completely harmless way).
Try it, You'll like it.  Program writtem by Guy Fiems and downloaded
>From GEnie.

                 Tom Prusa

[Archived as /info-mac/util/tidy-it-up.hqx; 108K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 90 13:18:09 CDT
From: Graeme <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Anonymity's uses

Keith Gatling is surely right that Anonymity isn't much use to program
pirates since, as he says, most people will personalize their hard-disk
copy, not their master floppy (tho' it may be easier to keep the floppy
out of pirates' hands than to deny them access to a hard-disk copy).
What would be useful would be if A. removes some of the startup displays
programs inflict on us. For instance, when you launch Nisus 2 (a superb
word-processor for big documents, by the way) you have to sit through
a presentation of the company logo with various bits of copyright info
- no doubt they're legally obliged to put this stuff in the program somewhere
but *I* would like to be rid of it. Similarly with Record Holder's weight-
lifter. Can this be done with A? Is it safe, or do you trash the application?

Graeme Forbes
PL0BALF@TCSVM

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 90 14:35 EDT
From: NECHO@ncsumvs.ncsu.edu
Subject: Any experiences with Invoicing or Slidemaking software?

Hello all,
     The subject line says it.  I am interested in PD versions
of these types of applications, but I suspect the best things in life
are not free.  I would be grateful to anyone who could relate their
experiences with software such as:
*  MacInvoice, or similar
*  Microsoft PowerPoint, Aldus Persuasion, or similar.
(On a related point, has anyone used Liquid Light's Mac II interface
board for the Polaroid Palette slidemaker?  $1200 and "well worth it",
according to their tech-sales people.)

                       Thanks for your help,
                       Scott  <nECHO@NCSUMVS>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 1990 09:53:45 CET
From: "Guenther Sawitzki, StatLab Heidelberg" <J40%DHDURZ1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Bitnet access from Mac ?

I am looking for possibilities to access bitnet from the Macintosh.
Of course there are two trivial solutions:
 use AppleLink and go via the AppleLink/Internet gateway
or
 use Telnet to log on to a main frame and go from there.
The first is too expensive to be used on a university level. The
second is too clumsy.
What I want is a Mac like support to access our mailer, which
unfortunately resides on an IBM mainframe, or a good SMTP program
for the Mac.
  Guenther <j40 at dhdurz1.bitnet> or GER.XUU0003 on AppleLink

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 90 11:13:37 EDT
From: siochi@vtodie.cs.vt.edu (A. Siochi)
Subject: Brown University (?) C.S. Edutcational software

hello!

Sometime ago I came across a note describing several mac programs put out
by by Brown Univ. (?) that illustrates concepts in computer science,
such as animating a sorting algorithm.  I recall vaguely that one program
showed the progress of a sorting program.

I'd appreciate any pointers to the software! Please email me direct and
IWSTTN (I Will Summarize To The Net).

internet: siochi@vtopus.cs.vt.edu

Thanks!
-acs

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 90 14:15:46 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Color Options for SE/30

A faculty member here is looking for information on color options for
the SE/30.  Anyone with experiences, etc.?
Respond to GSW$EN@WSUVM1.BITNET or YEIDEL@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU.  Thanks.

Date: Wed, 30 May 90 12:38:08 edt
From: Bruce_Kahn@dgc.mceo.dg.com
Subject: Database backend query: 4th Dimension vs Oracle

CEO summary:
  Im looking to replace the database backend on a project Ive been
working on.  Currently I use the backend that you can create using
Turbo Pascal's Database Toolbox.  The problem is that it wont support
> 1 table w/o major hassles (like creating a copy of ALL the database
routines for the new table and changing all the visible variable
names).  I would like to replace the backend with Oracle for the Mac
or 4th Dimension.  Im looking for any suggestions/caveats/tips on
selecting either one.  Ill be targeting an SE with 2-4M memory and
20M hard drive (the current systems).  Thanks in advance.

                                   Bruce (KAHN@ADAM.DG.COM)

------------------------------

Date: 29 MAY 90 16:13:22
From: COSC006%unlcdc2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Desperately Seeking Compactor

I've heard alot about a new compression utility, Compactor 1.02, that is jut
as fast, but much more efficient.  The way people are talking about it (on
EchoMac), it is pretty widespread, except of course in Nebraska, the
MacDesert.  Would some kind soul please send a binhex of Compactor to the
archives?  A binhex of DDExpand would be nice, too.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 90 13:01 EST
From: <DLARRICK%TUFTS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DiskExpressII

John R. Pearce writes:

>  I would very much appreciate any feedback on DiskExpressII (the
>  hard disk defragmentor). Particularly whether it just defragments
>  files, or if it also defragments free space as well.

I purchased DiskExpress (the original version) because at that time, it was
the ONLY hard disk defragmenter for the Macintosh that would consilidate the
disk's free space.  The new version still has this feature (there may be
others as well, by now; I don't know).  The new version is somewhat faster
than the old, but it is still slow compared to other programs that are not
as thorough.

The major change in this version is that it is a cdev/INIT combination,
rather than an application.  It continually monitors how you use the disk,
and when the computer is idle, goes back and rearranges the files into logical
groups, designed to minimize future fragmentation.  This feature works, but
it has its price.

There are three major problems associated with the design.  First, the INIT
is a memory hog, consuming around 100K (this figure is from my (biological)
memory; it could be off).  Second, the constant chattering of the disk as it
defragments reminded me of the rigorous tests performed by diagnostic software
to spot problems.  My worrying mind told me this cannot be good for the disk.
Third, and most important for me, IT SLOWS DOWN ALL DISK OPERATIONS.  Before
installing DiskExpress II, I ran the MacSpeed program on my system; it reported
that my drive is 1.44x as fast as a "stock" SE; after installing DiskExpress,
that figure dropped to 0.90!

I would still recommend this package, however, as it IS the only program that
I know of that can consolidate free space.  This is important because it
minimizes future fragmentation.  My workaround was to install DiskExpress II
on a floppy disk, and run it in manual mode periodically (say, weekly)--run
this frequently, it hardly takes any time at all (maybe 5-10 minutes).  This
is exactly how I used the old program.  The new program is better, though,
because it is faster, and because it still prioritizes files in a rudimentary
fashion, even without the usage statistics.

I hope this helps.

-Doug Larrick

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 90 07:54 EST
From: Bill Wilson <WILSON%GBURG.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DOS Emulators

I have just moved from a Mac II to a IIci and my AST/Orange 286 DOS
emulation boards will no longer work without an upgrade.  I can get a
software upgrade for $10, but this leaves me with no open slot for
a networking card I will be getting soon.  Orange is now selling a $699
upgrade that uses just one slot.  While I am mulling these choices over,
are there other hardware/software solutions that people have been pleased
with?  I am not a heavy DOS user, but I have many users with occasional
support needs.

Thanks for any suggestions.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 May 90 13:12:43 +0200
From: Karl Pottie <GUTEST4%BLEKUL11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Grappler LQ

The Grappler LQ (GLQ) is a hardware device which allows you to connect non-mac
printers to your Mac. Postscript is NOT supported.
The GLQ is a box of about 7 * 10 cm which connects directly into the
centronics interface on your printer. A cable (1.5m) runs to your mac.
The GLQ uses a wall-transformer for power. It comes with 3 disks, one
utilities disk and 2 fonts disks.

You have to install the Imagewriter LQ driver. The Grappler converts the
IW LQ codes to codes your printer can understand. Since this is done by
hardware, it is completely transparent to the software. Anything that runs
on an Imagewriter LQ will run on the Grappler.

The Grappler contains 4 dip switches which you can set according to the printer
you use. Supported printers are:
   Epson LQ (Black& white or color)and compatibles
   Nec P series      "       "
   Toshiba series    "       "
   HP compatible laser printers
   HP Deskjet

You must also drop an init into your system folder. This init is a printer
spooler + grappler software. This software takes care of the resolution
differences between e.g. an Epson LQ an that of an Imagewriter LQ
(180 vs. 214 DPI). Without it, proportions would come out wrong.

The init will only load if at startup your printer is switched on, and
paper is loaded. If you fail to do so, you can't print during that session.
It uses about 180K ram, which should not be neglected by 1Mb users.

You can choose to spool your files or not. Functions  for multiple spool
files, deleting and changing priorities of files are provided .

Grappler LQ should run from Mac+ upwards.

Fonts:
The Grappler uses Bitstream fonts. 3 fonts are provided:
  * Dutch (= Times)
  * Swiss (= Helvetica)
  * courier
For a matrix printer, you'll have to install the font sizes you want to use
and a  2.5 times that size printer font . This is because of the resolution
( 72 * 2.5 = 180 DPI). For laser printers you use 4 times the font size for
printing. Beware of this : fonts in sizes 25 30 45 60 are hard
to find.
The fonts are designed for special use with the GLQ. They provide
excellent output. Of course you can use normal fonts, but print quality is
lower.
GLQ is also compatible with ATM.

Now the results. I use GLQ with an Epson LQ 550. Printing quality is
very good. If you compare it to an Imagewriter II, you'll notice
an enormous difference in quality. In fact, the printout  of an IW II is
quite unacceptable compared to the GLQ output . The imagewriter II
prints at a density of about 22000 dots per square inch, while the Epson
prints at about 60000 dpsi, which easily explains the difference.
And since Epson + Grappler is cheaper than an imagewriter II, there's no
reason not to buy the first combination.

Compared to the output of a Deskwriter or Laserwriter, the GLQ output is
less sharp and less dark. But again, a deskwriter costs about twice
as much as the GLQ + Epson.
So for semi-professional use, the GLQ is an outstanding alternative.

Printing speed is not very high on a Mac+, but is faster on Mac II series.

I haven't encountered anything that wouldn't work with the GLQ yet,
but on a 1 Meg system, I can't print from hypercard because of memory
problems.

Limitations: as the manual says, the main limitation is you can't make
the GLQ do anything the Imagerwriter LQ can't do.
Special features of your printer often can't be used.

I found two other limitations:
     * the GLQ in combination with an Epson doesn't allow draft printing.
       The IW LQ does its draft mode spacing with graphics tabs,
       but its printing with text. Result: very slow draft printing on
       an Epson.
       You also can't use the build-in printer fonts. The Epson LQ
       has some very attractive printer fonts, which can't be used from
       programs.
       As a solution I use Miniwriter. This DA allows me to send ASCII
       text directly to the printer port. I select the required printer
       font on my printer-control panel. This allows me to make very
       quick text outputs, at very high quality.

     * If you use single sheets , top and bottom of page definitions
       might go wrong. The GLQ does allow you to set ' ignore reverse line
       feed' , which gives far less trouble .

Conclusion: I am very pleased using the GLQ. I would recommend it to
            anybody who's not satisfied by the very low quality of
            the IW II, but does not have the money to buy a Deskwriter
            or Laserwriter, or to anybody who wants to use a HP compatible
            laser printer for his mac.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 90 18:36:05 cst
From: "McMahon,Brian D" <MCMAHON%GRIN1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: How to hide the not-to-be-hidden menu bar

Back several issues ago, perez@itd.nrl.navy.mil (Manuel A. Perez) discussed
hiding the menu bar.  He included this code fragment:

>RgnHandle saveRgn, fullScreen;
>
>       saveRgn = GrayRgn;                      /* save the original */
>
>       /* create the new region */
>       fullScreen = NewRgn();
>       SetRectRgn(fullScreen, 0, 0, 512, 342); /* for small screen Macs */

[ More code deleted ]

--- Begin soap-box mode ---

NO!! NO!! NO!! NO!!  This is EXACTLY the sort of thing that has caused so
many NEEDLESS compatibility problems!  Do NOT hard-code screen sizes!
There's no need to, and it's just plain WRONG.  Open Volume 1 of the
_Inside Macintosh_ tomes to page I-143 and read along. :-) It says:

"*Warning:* The numbers given here apply _only_ to the Macintosh 128K and
"512K systems.  [Also to the Plus and SE, but this goes to show you how LONG
"this rule has been in the documentation. --bdm]  To allow for your
"application running on any version of the Macintosh, you should never use
"explicit numbers for screen dimensions.  The QuickDraw global variable
"screenBits ... gives you access to a rectangle whose dimensions are those
"of the screen, whatever version of the Macintosh is being used.

This rule is five years old.  Applications that followed it still work.
Those that didn't went down in flames the first time they mey a Mac II.  It
is generally good programming practice to avoid "magic numbers" wherever
possible, and this is a good example.

I'm sorry for getting so worked up about the whole thing, but there's just
no excuse for doing this right.  It's easy (screenBits.bounds is a Rect,
which gives you your top, left, bottom, and right coodinates) and clearly
documented (anyone who tries to program the Mac without investing in a copy
of IM is making a mistake, IMHO).

--- End soap-box mode ---

Disclaimer:  BAH HUMBUG!  If anyone thinks I speak for any party other than
myself, they're so far off track that a disclaimer won't help.

Brian McMahon  <MCMAHON@GRIN1.BITNET> | VAX Kludgemeister, Macintosh Medic,
Grinnell College Computer Services    | Human Help Key, various and sundry
Grinnell, Iowa 50112                  | stats packages.  Please allow two
(515) 269-4901                        | to four weeks for miracles.
(No, *NOT* Idaho!  Not Ohio, either!)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 90 12:30:04 EDT
From: John Mignault <AP201058@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #106

>[I would say that the difference is that the mickey files in /art do not
> deprive Disney of any revenue, whereas software piracy clearly reduces sales
> of software products. However, I'm not a legal expert, and if there's a
> consensus that the files are illegal/illegitimate, I will certainly remove
> them. -Bill]

But copyright also pertains to the means of reproduction as well. I take it tha
t you mean that since Disney doesn't offer clip art, and since the files are fr
eeware, then no violation of copyright takes place. This isn't the case. Disney
 holds the rights to the publication of the mouse's image in any and all media.
It isn't just a matter of revenue. Copyright means you can't copy and distribut
e it,whether for profit or not, without the permission of the copyright holder.
Which also applies to the means of distribution. Otherwise, what's to stop me f
rom posting Word 3 for free? Microsoft isn't selling it anymore, so I'm not dep
riving them of profits...And I'm giving it away. Because I'm not the copyright
holder, and I have no right to decide what to do with Microsoft's property. And
, in essence, the Mouse is Disney's property, and we have no right to decide ho
w it is distributed.

John Mignault
AP201058@BROWNVM.BITNET

[I think your argument makes sense. I will remove the file. But there are
 other opinions on this issue (see the other posting). -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 90 12:26:24 -0700
From: August Hahn <hahna@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Jasmine Troubles...

Hi! I am the Mac guru for a middling-large network of Macs. Way back
in the past we bought a lot of Jasmine DD20 drives. Now I'm having
trouble with some of them. The ones connected to some (but not all)
of our Mac Pluses consistently eat the files in the system folder.
One minute they'll be there, the next they're gone. SUM II can't
recover them, even if Shield is installed. It's getting to the point
where I'm recovering files about once a week, and it's very irksome.
Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? The Pluses are running
6.0.2, but one (mine) is running 6.0.4. The only inits are GateKeeper
1.1.1 and Pyro 3.3.

Oh, and none of the SE's that have Jasmines are having any problems.
This is specifically a Mac Plus event.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

August Hahn
Univ. of Washington
E-Mail to hahna@milton.acs.washington.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 90 10:58:23 EST
From: Grant Vandenberg <MTH714%VM.UoGuelph.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac-Spectrophotometer link

Can anyone direct me to a good application allowing me to hook up a Mac to
a spectrophotometer (via RS232)?? I'm looking to import numbers into Excel and
upload to SAS for analysis. I've seen a couple of packages ie Maclab (much$$).
It would be a great help if a source and a price could be included (new budget
announced!!)

Thanks in Advance

Grant Vandenberg
Dept. of Animal Science, U. of Guelph
   (Mth714@vm.uoguelph.CA)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 90 09:43:32 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: MACBOOKS

I have so far received at least 10 (more arriving each day) request for
the whereabouts of MacBooks, but I have yet to receive one telling me
how to contact it. Please, is MacBooks vapour or real...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 May 90 18:03:31 EDT
From: Chris Khoury <3XMQGAA%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Need help on returning a Miniscribe HD

     My MiniScribe 20 megabyte internal HD had a hardware crash. I have a Mac S
E with 2.5 megs of RAM. I am not really interested in recovering the files, but
 I would like to know what I can do in terms of returning the drive or getting
the drive fixed thru MiniScribe. I called MiniScribe and they said that all
 XXXXXXSA Serial # Drives are the responsibility of Apple Co. What I personally
 think is that MiniScribe sold a bad batch of 20 meg HD's to Apple for a dirt c
heap price and said to the costomers that Apple is responsible for their hard d
rives. If anyone can help me , please do. My apple dealer didn't bother to  try
 and help me and I wouldn't take my drive there in a million years :). Thanks..
.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 90 18:54:21 PDT
From: jeffb%music@sgi.com
Subject: Posting in reference to Unix to Mac networking and Gatorboxes

This is in response to several postings over the past few weeks.

Over the past year and a half, we connected all the PCs and Macs on
campus and some of the field offices (its still growing) into one
unified network with our many hundred Unix workstations.  We now run
Microsoft mail on the Macs and PCs.  We use Cayman Systems Gatorboxes
to bridge the appletalk networks between buildings.  This eliminated
the low tech sneakernet (which is very inefficient, especially between
buildings).  Users can now print to any printer in any building
on campus from their office.  They can also get their mail from any
Mac or PC on campus.  Using Appleshare, files can be shared;
files can be moved between Macs and workstations with ease.  I
never would have guessed that I would use this feature as much as I do.
Cayman is also working on a Mac to Unix mail gateway, and also a Unix to
AppleTalk printing capability.

To use a Gatorbox as a file server, all that is needed is to install
Appleshare on the Macs and configure the Gatorbox.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with Cayman.

Jeff Becker
B8 Network Manager
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
jeffb@sgi.com
(415)335-1080

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 May 90 18:09:18 EDT
From: Chris Khoury <3XMQGAA%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Questionairre on what you want in a program

     I work for a small software company that is just starting out. I would lik
e to take a survey on what people want in the following catagories:

1) Communications
2) Init's/CDEV's
3) Desk Accessories
4) Utilities
5) Other

Our specialty is Communications and utilities but if you have any other ideas,
PLEASE send them. Thank you...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 90 10:27:45 EDT
From: Peter Galko <PTRPB%UOTTAWA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Railgun 030 specs

I have been trying to find out some of the specs of the Railgun 030
accelerator from MacProducts.  Could someone tell me whether the SCSI port
on a Plus with a Railgun accelerator is sped up (does it have hardware
support for blind transfers for example.)  MacProducts technical support
couldn't answer my question when I called as "the person who really knows
is on vacation."  Has anyone found any problem with this accelerator?

Any comments regarding this accelerator would be appreciated.

Prof. Peter Galko                         E-mail: PTRPB@UOTTAWA.BITNET
Department of Electrical Engineering
Room A-509, Colonel By Hall               Telephone: (613)-564-7097
770 King Edward Avenue                    FAX:       (613)-564-6882
University of Ottawa
OTTAWA, Ontario,   CANADA
K1N 6N5

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 90 17:17:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Hill <jh5f+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Resolving font conflicts

Are there any public domain or shareware programs for resolving font
conflicts, i.e., something similar to Font Harmony that comes with
SuitcaseII?  Also, does anyone know if MasterJuggler can resolve such
conflicts?  We have Font Harmony (and it works well), but in making a
scientific database (to manage strain collections) that is likely to
be used by a number of labs, we need recommendations for other
mechanisms to resolve such conflicts.

Thanks!

John
John Edward Hill                      Dept. of Biological Sciences
Internet: jh5f+@andrew.cmu.edu        Carnegie Mellon University
Bitnet:   jh5f+@andrew.bitnet         4400 Fifth Avenue
412-268-5122                          Pittsburgh, PA.  15213-3890  USA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 90 13:54:09 EDT
From: robert wilson <RWILSON%UTCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: scanning data

A friend in Physics would like to read points from a curve in a MacPaint file.
He has been reading points directly from a graph on a sheet of paper,
but would like to take a scanned image and have the mac analyze it.  After
the points are found, he will do curve fits on the list of points. I don't know
much about what he is talking about, but those of you who do and know of any
Mac programs which will do something like this, please drop me a note.

Thanks
Robert Wilson

ps. If you would like to talk to him, his name is Eric Lane and his id is
ERICLANE@UTCVM.  His phone number is 615-755-4523.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 90 09:28:24 MDT
From: daspit%zodiac@johns.Stanford.EDU (John Daspit, C.U. LASP, (303)492-6951)
Subject: Those controversial postings...

Dear Info-Mac Moderators,
	In my opinion: Toss the Anonymity program and keep the scanned art!
Any legitimate user of registered software should have access to the original
distribution disk if the name/etc. info needs to be changed.
	Anyone who worries about using scanned art for their own PERSONAL
NON-RESALE use is probably the same kind of person who would stand at 3:00am
waiting for hours at a broken 'don't walk' sign (though you can't push this
analogy very far, and I can't think of a better one just now). Until Disney
(or others) offer their own scanned art FOR SALE, OR specifically request
that a particular picture not be posted, then I can't see any problem with it.
>From one point of view you could say propagating these pictures is giving free
advertisement to the companies! In any case I don't think that there is any
harm in it... if you take a picture of your TV screen and hang it up on your
wall (or your startup screen), why should that be anybody's business but
your own? I'm sure that these hung-up worried nerdly types could find
something more substantial to concern themselves with.
The above is just MY OPINION.
John Daspit. DASPIT@COLOLASP.

End of Info-Mac Digest