Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/05/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue,  5 Jun 90       Volume 8 : Issue 110

Today's Topics:

      Acius' 4th Dimension
      Anonymity
      DiskExpress II
      DON'T USE FASTBACK II !!!
      FullWrite Professional is getting cheap
      GCC WriteMove Summary
      How to hide the not-to-be-hidden menu bar
      Hypercard Books
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #108
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #109
      KE!3
      LaserMax 1000 query
      MacClone & Double Ganger
      Mac sounds on a SPARC?
      NOS/VE Question
      Recovering Excel files
      retrieving archives
      Shareware Sound Resources (MacUser, May '90)
      Software for Mac Programming books
      Solarian II at SE/30
      Speed of printing under MultiFinder

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sun, 03 Jun 90 22:18 CST
From: GREENY <MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Acius' 4th Dimension

Hi all...

I have just finished writing a rather extensive database project utilizing
Acius' 4th Dimension, and I am ready to being importing the data from the
old HyperCard based database into the new one.  However, I am making use of
several subfiles in 4th Dimension and was wondering if there is any way to
import data into the sub files.  The manuals for 4D dont say anything about
how to do it, and when I go into the Import Data... screen, it conspicuously
leaves the subfile names out of the list of fields available for importation
of data.

I really dont want to redo the structure and create seperate files for the
information, but if I have to...

bye for now but not for long
Greeny

BITNET: MISS026@ECNCDC
Internet: MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@CUNVYM.CUNY.EDU
GEnie: GREENY
America Online: GREENY1
Compu$erve: 72567,457

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Jun 90 09:43:40 EDT
From: hewett@cbl.umd.edu (Steve Hewett)
Subject: Anonymity

  A colleague and I posted anonymity in response
to a specific request in the digest for a program
that would delete personal information from programs. Bruce_Kahn@dgc.mceo.dg.com
wanted to be able to change the names in Claris programs when machines
were moved around an office or people left and were replaced, without havin
g to reinstall the program each time. It does have very legitimate uses
and Jim and I were surprised and chagrined to see the level of emotion
displayed about this posting. This program is available through many
sources and has been around for a while. I don't think that it has
any bearing on stealing software. People who pirate software don't seem
to care whether some other name comes up when running it, or they use a
any of a number of tools which can wipe out personal information.
We are sorry to have created such a stir, it really doesn't seem that
big a deal. Steve Hewett
hewett@cbl.umd.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 90 17:22:53 EDT
From: dmrrsn@math.duke.edu (David R. Morrison)
Subject: DiskExpress II

In a discussion of DiskExpress II in a recent issue, Doug Larrick mentioned
that he was bothered by the "automatic daily optimizing" feature of the new
version, and just runs it off of a floppy.

I do not like the automatic mode either, but there is a much easier solution:
in the Control Panel DiskExpress II entry, just uncheck "optimize automatically"
You can then run the optimization (also from the Control Panel) whenever you
like.

My main use of the program is to clean up the hard disk before attempting to
increase the size of virtual memory used by Virtual.  For this purpose,
unfragmented free space is vital, and DiskExpress II does an excellent
job.  There is one trick, however:  Virtual creates an invisible, anchored,
locked file which DiskExpress II won't try to move.  If this divides the
free space in two, it can be removed using ResEdit (or presumably DiskTop
or other utilities showing invisible files).  The file is called Virtual_Launch,
and if it is missing, Virtual will simply recreate it the next time the Mac
boots.

     David R. Morrison
     Department of Mathematics
     Duke University
     dmrrsn@math.duke.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Jun 90 14:02 CDT
From: "Greg Trimper, Stark Raving" <88381%LAWRENCE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: DON'T USE FASTBACK II !!!

DON'T USE FASTBACK II!

        Owners of hard drives who do backups- attention!  DO NOT USE FASTBACK
II.  I recently had a friend ask me if I could fix his floppy drive, it was
having problems (Mac SE HD 20).  It turns out that the head had been scratched
by the shutter of a disk..  I could not figure out why, as he claimed that he
had not forced any disks out.  I was stumped, and the only fix was, apparently,
have the drive replaced (it fell under warranty, as he said that he had not
forced any disks out or had any problems with disks, and the dealer looked at
it and could see no evidence that this was not a problem that perhaps the
machine came with (less than a month old).  OK, problem solved.
        I use HFSBackup 3.0, as I like the flexibility.  The one problem that
I have with it is NO DATA COMPRESSION.  Well, this friend gave me a copy of
FASTBACK II, which he uses, and it has data compression.  Today, I decided to
try it to do a backup of my machine (SE/30 HD40).  AS SOON AS I STARTED THE
BACKUP PHASE, THE DISK DRIVE CONTINUOUSLY SPUN AND EVERY FEW SECONDS, THE HEADS
WOULD ENGAGE DOWNWARDS TO READ THE BOOT BLOCKS OF A NOT YET INSERTED DISK!!!!!
When I did put a disk in there, it made a horrible grinding noise, and then
started writing to the disk (FDHD, by the way).  This is BAD!
        Here is the scenario that I see:  The drive starts spinning (FastBackII
spins the drive whether or not there is a disk in the drive until you quit the
backup).  You insert a disk.  The heads are making seeks every few seconds.
Just as the drive pulls the shutter back, the heads come down, and the shutter
is dragged across them!  BAD!  I now see this as the reason for my friend's
heads being scratched.
        Even if this is not correct, it could happen, and that, for me, is
a good enough reason to NOT use FastBackII.  I had noticed this behavior in
PS/2's using FastBackII for the IBM several months ago, but had forgotten it,
figuring that it was a problem with the PS/2.  I now see it as a problem of the
program.  For any floppy drive, having the motor spinning and the heads seeking
BEFORE and WHILE a disk is inserted is very dangerous, so I recommend AVOIDING
FASTBACKII.
        If anyone has noticed similar or contrary behaivor of this program,
please respond either to me or Info-mac.  Responses to me will be reposted
in a summary by me.  I would like to hear from other people about this,
epecially if I am wrong or have an outdated version (2.00 7 JUNE 1989), as
this is a serious, and potentially expensive, problem.

*                                               greg trimper                *
*                                               88381@LAWRENCE.bitnet       *
*                                                                           *
*       "I remember when the 512k Mac came out.  People said it had more    *
*        memory than you would ever need, and they called it the 'Fat' Mac!"*

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 90 11:05 +0100
From: "Povl H. Pedersen" <ECO8941@ecostat.aau.dk>
Subject: FullWrite Professional is getting cheap

The danish Ashton-Tate distributor has recently cut down the price of
FullWrite professional by more than 50%, so that it is now the cheapest
wordprocessor available here in Denmark, and it is even one of the best
packages I have seen translated to danish.

I like the program quite a lot, as it has more features than other programs,
but many people are thinking that it is too slow. But this has not been the
case for me yet, and I am running on  a SE. If the price also drops in the US,
then you might want to consider this package. (It works best on a 2MB machine).

An employee of the danish distributor told to one of the PC magazines, that
one of the reasons for cutting down the price was because of the low sales
figures, and he said that it probably was because of pirate copying on the
universities. They did cut the price in the hope that the sofware would
then get so cheap that the students would buy it, and not copy it.

Pirating is a big problem in the PC world, and a year ago only 80% of all
PC's were sold with DOS. This is not possible today, only if you can show
your original DOS disks in the shop.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Jun 90  11:45 GMT
From: Big Nose <LAWA%IAPE.AFRC.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: GCC WriteMove Summary

Dear All,

Some time ago, I posted a request for information about a GCC Writemove
printer along with a promise to summarise the replies received. Well thanks
to all who replied and here is the summary:-

The GCC Writemove printer is a 192dpi (96dpi draft quality) inkjet printer.
It's portable (3lbs. and battery/mains driven) and will print US letter,
US Legal, A4, B5 and envelopes. Other pluses include outline fonts, full
reduction/enlargement (25-400%) and some bundled spooling software.

The Writemove is apparently an incarnation of the Kodak Diconix M150 Plus
printer which may be cheaper for those of you in the States. The Kodak printer
does not seem to be available in the UK.

As for the printer in use, there only appears to be one WriteMove in use in
the whole of the info-mac readership and that's owned by Jim Sasaki (thanks
Jim). He basically said that he was happy with the output he got. It wasn't
laser quality, but then it wasn't laser price either. The mechanism was quiet
but not silent, and the output was much better than the Imagewriter.

The running costs are a possible hidden extra, depending on the density of
your printing requirements. The estimates for ink cartridges ranged from
$8 apiece to $10, so I guess this must be the right range. They apparently
llast for around 100 high-quality or 400 draft-quality pages, which seemed a
bit expensive to me, but then who cares what I think, I'm only a student.
Unfortunately, I don't know what the UK price for the cartridges is because
our suppliers are absolutely hopeless at finding these things out. The UK
price for the printer itself is around 600 pounds, which makes it nearly
twice as much as an Imagewriter.

Despite emphasising that I really would like to see one of these printers in
action, our suppliers have been unable to locate one. I can't therefore
comment on the quality of the output.

Having found out the price of this printer, I'm not sure what area of the
market they are aiming for. It's certainly a bit too expensive to be used
as a preview printer prior to laser printing (I can get A4 laser output
for 5 pence per page from the University), but it's not good enough quality
for final output. However, GCC do offer a 30 day money back guarantee if
you purchase direct from them, so if you're interested and you have the money
spare then you could always give it a spin for a few weeks.

If anyone in the UK does have one of these printers, and wouldn't mind
spending 15 pence on a stamp, I'd greatly appreciate seeing some genuine
output from this beastie.

I hope this summary has been of use to at least a few people.

Cheers,

Andy Law.

LAWA@UK.AC.AFRC.IAPE                                Big Nose in Edinburgh.

AFRC IAPGR,
Edinburgh Research Station,
Roslin,
Midlothian,
EH25 9PS.
UK.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Jun 90 10:28:13 GMT
From: gbrown@tybalt.caltech.edu (Glenn C. Brown)
Subject: How to hide the not-to-be-hidden menu bar
"McMahon,Brian D" <MCMAHON%GRIN1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu> writes:

>Back several issues ago, perez@itd.nrl.navy.mil (Manuel A. Perez) discussed
>hiding the menu bar.  He included this code fragment:

>>       SetRectRgn(fullScreen, 0, 0, 512, 342); /* for small screen Macs */

>NO!! NO!! NO!! NO!!  This is EXACTLY the sort of thing that has caused so
>many NEEDLESS compatibility problems!  Do NOT hard-code screen sizes!

Unless Manuel is writing a commercial program, I see nothing wrong
with hard-coded values:  When I was just learning to program , I was
often frustrated by the volume of information that I was expected to
memorize when all I wanted to do was mess around with QuickDraw: If
he's just experimenting, I encourage him to do whatever he wants.

----------------------------------
As for clobbering the menubar:  Once I launched a program that did this

EraseRect(0,0,100,100);

before setting a GrafPort, and voila:  A white chunk where the Menu-bar
used to be...  I can't find any official way to grab a GrafPtr to the
screen, but it seems that after launching your application and before
using any QD or windowManager routines, you might be able to grab
the Ptr using GetPort.  If you do this and the GrafPtr <> nil (the
value that QD initializes thePort to) then you may have snagged a ptr
to screen grafport (since SOMETHING had to change it from its initial nil
value).... Then you could draw straight to the screen USING QUICKDRAW, and
quickdraw should be able to write to a B/W OR color screen since it's
just a grafport.............

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Jun 90 14:46:09 BST
From: Kevin 'fractal' Purcell <KPURCELL@liverpool.ac.uk>
Subject: Hypercard Books

Aplogies for the cross-posting but the orginal posting drew only two
flames against Goodman's book. All comments welcomed.

------------------------- original posting -------------------------

>From Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hypercard

What books on Hypercard have people used to teach themselves or others
about HyperCard? Do you have a favorite or one that should be avoided at all
costs? Please consider the different types of user from naive to advanced
scripter (wizards don't need books :-).

If you have any commenets advice flames etc. Send the direct to me and I'll
summarise them for the net. Even references to published reviews would be
useful (include the page number if possible).

Below I have commented on a few HC books I have read.

Thanks,
Kevin.

---------------------------- The initial list ------------------------------

To start things off, my favorites are:

Hypercard Power by Carol Kaehler,  Addison Wesley
  very good for naive users; well written; good intro to using HC with
  basic intro to scripting

The Complete Hypercard Handbook by Danny Goodman, Bantam
  the standard book?
  comprehensive, clear, BIG(!), lots of tips, index of commands/functions etc

Dr Dobbs Essential HyperTalk Handbook by Micheal Swaine, M&T Books
  inreesting intro to scripting, comprehensive index of commands etc, some
  stacks, still not made my mind up yet on whether it was worth the money.
  Good reference section in the back.

The Waite Group's Tricks of the HyperCard Masters, Waite Group
  Thick, lots of more advanced topics discussed, useful.
  I'm not at the wizard level so hard to comment, but I pick up a few useful
  tips. Good reference section in the back.

HyperCard Stack Design Guidelines by Apple, Addison Wesley
  excellent book, useful even for people that will never use HC, but just doing
  ordinary software development. Advice on stack building, design and cute
  techniques to make more beautiful stack (no scripting info). Very useful
  recommended reading list referencing topics such as writing, animation,
  typography, layout, charts, symbols and icons. Emphasises the different
  skills needed to build good HC stacks.

------------------------------ End of list ---------------------------------

As you can see I have read (well, half read) quite a few books and this narrows
down the range of what I should add to the list.

I am particularly interested in good books from the smaller publishing houses.

For example,

   Hypercard Scripting by Jeff Stodard, Walking Shadow Press

and

   XCMDS for Hypercard by Gary Bond, MIS Press

I guess the other thing to consider is the imminent appearence of HC 2.0 and
how that will affect the books (especially the novice scripting books).

So what do you think of the books I've already mentioned? What about the
following, which I have not read:

   The Complete Hypercard Devloper's Handbook by Danny Goodman, Bantam

   Hypercard Script Language Guide by Apple, Addison Wesley

   Dan Winkler's Hypercard books (I forget their titles)

   The Waite Group HyperTalk Bible, Waite Group

What about other worthwhile HC books you have read?

And while were at it, what about the Supercard books:

   The Complete Supercard Handbook by Dan Gookin, Compute Books

   Inside SuperCard (title?) (author?) (publisher?)

Hope to here from you soon.

==============| Don't bite my finger, look where it's pointing |===============
Kevin "fractal" Purcell  | SURFACE SCIENCE CENTRE | These opinions are
kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk | Liverpool University   | shareware. Send me $10 if
(c) 1990                 | Liverpool L69 3BX      | you like them.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 90 00:11 EDT
From: "Gary Johnston, Music Department" <JOHNSTON@nkuvax.bitnet>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #108

***
Is there a multifinder utility that shows only the windows of the
application that is currently active. I get a little nervous of the fact
that under normal operation of the multifinder you see all windows of
all applications that are loaded.

Daniel van Kraalingen                               /      /    /  /       /
***

Yes.  One is a product called Tablecloth.  But the best is Apple's
beta of Multifinder:  6.1b9.   I believe you can get it from CompuServe.
With it you can 'set aside' and application and its windows for
later retrieval.  I think it is going to be a standard part of
System 7.0.

Gary Johnston
AppleSiders of Cincinnati
AppleLink:  UG0054
BBS: 606-572-5375

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Jun 90 22:41:21 -0700
From: julian@riacs.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #109

Response to:

Info-Mac Digest             Fri,  1 Jun 90       Volume 8 : Issue 109
------------------------------
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 90 11:08:07 MDT
>From: ZZMLAB%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Area code DA

Some time ago, I saw a posting about a desk accessory that allows you
to look up area codes. Does anyone know the name of this program and
where it is posted? Thanks in advance.
=======
That is the Area Code DA from the Sidekick package, formerly made by
Borland. They dissolved their Macintosh division more than a year ago,
so it's your call as to whether you want to buy software that has a
terminated development path.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 90 20:09:48 PDT
From: 6600pete%ucsbuxa@ucsb.edu (GurgleKat [Pete Gontier])
Subject: KE!3

> KiwiEnvelopes! 3 is a very neat and very nicely done DA for addressing
> envelopes..I've written favorable messages about it to other people
> and on various bulletin boards.
>
> I bought my copy, paid for it, registered it, and have been using it.
> But today it suddenly wanted me to re-register my name, company and
> serial number in a dialog box before I could continue using it.  Since
> I was using my Mac at my office, but the master floppy disk was safely
> stored at home, this meant that not only the program itself, but all
> the addresses stored within it, were suddenly unavailable, at a time when
> I _needed_ them.
>
> If this is some kind of hidden copy protection scheme -- with no
> warning about it in the documentation -- I am NOT sympathetic to this
> property, and won't be saying nice things about KiwiEnvelopes! in the
> future...

KiwiEnvelopes! 3 saves the registration info in the System file. If you have
recently replaced your System file, this is the problem.

Pete Gontier
Baby Software Imagineer
Kiwi Software, Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Jun 90 10:11:48 -0500
From: poorman@convex1.convex.com (Peter W. Poorman)
Subject: LaserMax 1000 query

Hi Asif;

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:
>I am thinking of getting a LaserMax 1000 for our Lab here and before
>I plunk down $8K for it I would like to hear from any user who has used
>it.

I'd suggest calling LaserMAX directly and asking for information.  They
are at (612)944-9151.

I'm looking forward to your summary of responses...

--Pete Poorman
  poorman@convex.com

------------------------------

Date: 01 Jun 90 20:53 CST
From: CHIP ECKARDT-III <F542723%uwec.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacClone & Double Ganger

Does anyone out there know where to obtain either MacClone or
Double Ganger?  These programs let you show pseudo icons of applications
that are really just launch documents.  The result is that a user
double clicks on an icon (for example Word) and it runs just like the
application normally would.  The nice thing about these launch
documents is that the user can only copy the launch document; not
the application itself!  The reason that I am interested in something
like this is that we are trying to find some way to stop illegal
copying of software in a campus Mac lab.
Second item; in an attempt to control viruses and users deleting
programs, System files, etc. I am looking at two options.  Installing
a server and running Apple Share.  With this option I would regularly
monitor the server but leave the local hard drives up for grabs (possibly
reformatting them once a week?)  The second alternative is to monitor
each hard drive on each Mac.
The lab consists of six Mac IIs with 40 meg hard drives, color monitors,
a LaserWriter and an ImageWriter running under AppleTalk (LocalTalk).
The lab is used almost exclusively by the art department.  The Macs are
running graphics programs (Swivel 3D, Quark Express, Illustrator 88, etc.)
These programs are not only large but they also create very large
document files.  Because of the size of documents we need to have the
Users have access to local disk storage.  Any suggestions on
configurations and/or software.  We are currently running GateKeeper.
I will summarize the response to the net.  Thanks for any help!
Chip Eckardt  F542723.@UWEC.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 90 02:39:44 PDT
From: redrum@portia.stanford.edu
Subject: Mac sounds on a SPARC?

hi,

	i was wondering if someone there could tell me how to
convert one of the sound files which is in a a binhex format (.hqx)
to a format that will run on a SPARCstation via the sound command.  ive
see it done before but im not sure what conversion programs one would
need.
				thanks

daniel hernandez

------------------------------

Date: 03 JUN 90 23:37:19
From: COSC006%unlcdc2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: NOS/VE Question

Help!  Is anyone out there familiar with using NOS/VE on a CDC Cyber 930?  I am
desperately trying to download files from my account to my Mac at home.  I am
able to download text files from Sumex into my account, but the only way I can
get them to my mac is if I ASCII dump 'em to my terminal.  NOS/VE 1.4 *does*
have file transfer protocols, Ymodem and Xmodem but I can't figure out how to
get them to work correctly.  I have called my university's computer help line,
but they informed me that they don't have the manuals for XMOS and YMOS
(Xmodem Send and Ymodem Send).  Surely there is atleast 1 other NOS/VE user
out there with a solution!  I am using Zterm 0.85 as my comm program, but
Zterm works fine with any BBS in town...

Thanks for any help...

mike gleason
COSC006%unlcdc2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 90 22:08:17 EST
From: "Mr. Mingzuo Shen" <SHEN%CCQC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Recovering Excel files

    I an new to the Microsoft Excel program and recently I encountered
two instances of "Unable to open file" message from the Microsoft
Excel. I wonder if there is at least some way to uncover the numbers
in the files. I used Fedit to read the file and I can see words but
not numbers. For example, if I type in a number, say 1.23456789, in a
cell, Fedit does not show the number. If I use search for ASCII or
hex strings Fedit says these strings cannot be found.

    Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.
    Mingzuo Shen
    <shen@ccqc>
    <shen@uga.cc.uga.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Jun 90 13:24:54 EDT
From: mikef <MIKEF%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: retrieving archives

Fellow Netters,

     I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but here goes.  As i
read the digest, i see many files that i want to retrieve from the archives.
I can get these files with the command TELL MACSERVE AT PUCC GET <FILENAME>.
the problem i have is that i'm accesing the net through an IBM connected to a
VM system. I believe most of the files are in binary form.  I want to download
them to my PC, then somehow transfer them to files that I can use on my Mac
SE/30.  I believe you need a program called Stuffit, but what kind of process
do i have to go through to get these files from my PC to my Mac.

    Any help would be most appreciated.  I would like to use some to the files
that are offered through the discussion group.

Thanks in advance.  You can send answeres directly to me at
MIKEF@YALEVM.BITNET and then i can summarize the net if needed.

                                       Mikef

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 90 22:43 EDT
From: <JRHIND%UTOROISE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Shareware Sound Resources (MacUser, May '90)

An article in May MacUser outlined some shareware sound utilities.  I have
some of these but am interested in locating three in particular:

        Sound Leech - Converts snd resources to SoundMaster format

        Sound->snd 1.2e - moves snd resources from file to file

        SuperPlay 4.0 plays snds and various sampling speeds.

If anyone has these, I would appreciate it if you would upload them so I can
have a look.  Thanks very much in advance.

Jack Rhind
Jrhind@Utoroise
Toronto, ONT.

------------------------------

Date: 04 JUN 90 00:23:37
From: COSC006%unlcdc2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Software for Mac Programming books

Someone asked about possible legal ramifications (I hate that word, but...)
when using code from mac programming books.  Well, my advice is: *BE CAREFUL*.
I faithfully typed in some Hypercard XCMD code from a book.  I compiled the
code resources and pasted them in a stack, and then tried to upload my stack
to GEnie.  That's when the author/selfish-pig emailed me a nasty letter
threatening to sue me!  So, I did what any rational person would do, I had to k
kiss his *ss so he wouldn't sue me, and removed the "offending" code from my
stack.

So, I would suspect you would be dancing in the legal-grey zone if you tried
to obtain the code from someone else, or distributed the code to someone else.
Unless the author explicitly says that you have permission to do so, don't
distribute/ask for copies of either source or object code.  I guess that's what
age we live in, the greedy-selfish age, since you can get sued for just about
anything you do these days!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 90 17:55 CDT
From: <GWEON%TAMVXEE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Solarian II at SE/30

Hi! there
In recent MacWorld magazine, solarian II game was introduced.
Because of it's favorable critics, I decided to download from sumex-archive.
After long time, I could make executable file. I tested in my lab with MacII.
It's OK. In my SE/30, registration and instruction screens are OK.
But when the game is just starting, the screen is freezing. I have to reboot.
I thought that it was init compatible problem. I removed all inits...same effect
Do you have same experience and solution? Or it has a bug?
Configuration of my computer SE/30 is --> 8 Mb memory, 40 Mb internal and 80 Mb
external HD, and Apple High resolution RGB with RasterOops 264/30 graphics card.
Of course, I set up to 8-bit color-mode.
Thank you in advance.

Suncheol Gweon
Electro-optics Lab
Texas A&M University
Internet   : gweon@ee.tamu.edu
Bitnet     : gweon@tamvxee

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Jun 90 17:47 CST
From: <NBEHR%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Speed of printing under MultiFinder

Hello all; Can someone please shed light on the following:
why is (non-PostSript) printing under MultiFinder so much
slower than under Finder? A few examples (all machines below
have 40 MB or bigger hard drives, if it matters):
Case 1: a 2.5 MB Mac Plus connected via SCSI to a LaserWriter IISC -
        - MultiFinder slows printing down by a factor of 2 or so.
Case 2: a 5MB Mac II printing to an AppleTalk ImageWriter II - a simple
        text file takes about 40% longer to print under MF vs. Finder.
Case 3: my own 2.5 MB Plus, connected directly to an ImageWriter II - I
        often print typeset (TeXtures) documents in high quality,
        for proofreading. Under Finder, this takes about 3 minutes a
        page (it's very slow even then, but I can live with it),
        while under MultiFinder the same page can take up to an hour
        or so!!! I recently forgot to switch to the Finder, turned
        printing on, went to do some shopping, and found half a page
        upon coming back... no other application was even open...
I'm not using any spoolers, nor any strange INITs. I can see that MF
could steal *some* time by having to run minor housekeeping chores,
but how can it slow things down by a factor of 20 ??? Please help.

Eric Behr
Illinois State U., Mathematics
NBEHR@ECNCDC.BITNET

End of Info-Mac Digest