Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/07/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed,  6 Jun 90       Volume 8 : Issue 112

Today's Topics:

      [*] Escher's Self-Portriate
      [*] Morse code programs
      [*] Otello 1.0
      Anonymity
      Anonymity - my 1 cent
      Copyright
      Crashes
      Downloaded Files
      Fixing Mac Plus
      Fonts for ImageWriter LQ
      Indian head test pattern
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #111
      info-Mac V8 number 110. importing data with subfiles into 4D.
      Mac <-> Unix
      mac serial I/O
      More Information about Access Managed Environment
      Need a billing program for a Print Shop
      Printing under MultiFinder
      RMaker (2 msgs)
      Scheduling programs
      spreadsheets with subscripts and diffnt fonts in the same cell?
      StrataVision 3D
      System 7.0 on new machines
      Thanks & 512K upgrade & EXCEL
      The great anonymity debate...
      Typing Tutor Program needed

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 9 May 90 15:38:06 -0700
From: jdee030@ucsci.ucsc.edu (Mike Wilson)
Subject: [*] Escher's Self-Portriate

um put it in with the rest of my eschers (graphics..) - this is:
macpaint --> stuffit --> binhex4.0 --> ESelf.hqx
(yes, name is 'ESelf.hqx' in the sumex archives puhleaze)

-Comments to haphip@ucscb.ucsc.edu
thanks@!
HEYITBEGINSHEREHEYITBEGINSHERE

[Archived as /info-mac/art/escher-self-portrait.hqx; 46K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 May 90 14:03:32 CDT
From: lindahl@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Charlie Lindahl)
Subject: [*] Morse code programs

Since my posting in INFO-MAC on the morse code programs, I have received
numerous requests to mail to folks, etc. I guess there is enough demand
to send the files to SUMEX for archiving ...

Here is the first of two Morse code practice programs, both copied
>From the archives on APPLE.COM under the /pub/ham-radio directory.

They both allow the sending of an existing plain text file at various
morse transmission rates.

Thanx to the folks who originally responded to my query
about them.

Charlie S. Lindahl
Automation and Robotics Research Institute
University of Texas at Arlington
ARPA: lindahl@evax.utarl.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/app/morse-code-1.hqx; 17K
             /info-mac/app/morse-code-2.hqx; 43K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 May 90 22:33:18 PDT
From: van-bc!mdivax1!lyson@uunet.uu.net (Angela Lyson)
Subject: [*] Otello 1.0

Otello 1.0
by Ron Hayter

Copyright (c) 1990 by Ron Hayter.
All rights reserved.
Non-commercial distribution only.

Otello is a strategy board game named after an opera.  It is not named after a
certain commercial strategy board game, although there is a vague resemblance
between the two.  :-)

Otello can play at three skill levels, or it can be used by two people as an
electronic game board.  If you like, it can suggest what it thinks is the best
move available at any time.

Otello's settings and window position are remembered in a preferences file in
the System Folder.  Otello is fully compatible with (and takes full advantage
of) MultiFinder.  It has also been tested briefly with system software going
all the way back to that which came with the Mac 512K so long ago.  (I couldn't
find a 128.)  Therefore, I hope that Otello will work with all Macintoshes and
with all versions of the system software, including the up-coming System 7.0.
Please let me know if it doesn't.

In future versions of Otello, I plan to add colour and a resizable board.  If
you have other suggestions, I'd be delighted to hear them.

Otello may be distributed freely on bulletin boards, commercial on-line
services, and other networks, and by user groups.  However, it may only be
distributed in its original unmodified form together with this file.  Written
permission is required for distribution for profit.

Please send me a postcard if you enjoy this game:

3565 West 24th Avenue
Vancouver, BC, Canada  V6S 1L5

[Archived as /info-mac/game/otello.hqx; 47K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Jun 90 17:45:02 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Anonymity

When you use Anonymity on Canvas 2.0, and then open Canvas 2.0, you get
messages that Canvas 2.0 has been tampered with, that you should reinstall
>From your master disk, and then you are returned to the Finder.

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Jun 90 23:05 CST
From: <NBEHR%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Anonymity - my 1 cent

Motto: if something *can* be done, it *will* be done.
By trying to restrict information of this sort, no matter how noble
our intentions are, we are only fooling ourselves. Trying to decide
what recipes can be publicized does much more harm than good - because
it sets the precedent for self-censorship. Of course, I'd worry about
publishing a plan of an easy to conceal pipe-bomb, because it's clear
that the only use of it would lead to bodily harm or death. But a piece
of software like that can only cause material damages to someone, and
responsibility for this *lies with the user*. Let's not be arrogant
enough to say that we are the keepers of truth, and that we will act
so as to *make* others more honest and law-abiding. Anyone with some
patience and a copy of ResEdit can remove the registration strings.
I thought one of the purposes of info-mac is to educate Mac users in
how to use such tools... or are we now all of a sudden supposed to
prevent Mac novices from becoming adept users, lest they violate
copyright laws ??? The whole discussion seems a bit misguided to me.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Jun 90 17:53:17 BST
From: Kevin 'fractal' Purcell <KPURCELL@liverpool.ac.uk>
Subject: Copyright

After the recent arguments about the Calvin and Hobb's and Disney start up
screens and the Anonimity program consider the following:

"I am a rabbit", "Thats all folks", the Merry Melodies theme, "I'm sorry
Dave I can't do that", "Welcome to the machine (pink floyd)", "prepare to
attack" and the phaser sound from Star Trek,"the twilight zone" theme,
experpts from Rosanne and PeeWee Herman and ... and .... and ... (What no
Doctor Science :-)

What do these all have in common?

Yeap, you got it. Apart from being on my hard disk at them moement, they're
all from copyrighted sources (films, tv, radio, records ...) and I downloaded
them from the sumex archive.

Do I suggest we remove them from the archive. No (the same as I would suggest
removing Anonimity or the startup screens). It's fair use, just don't try to
sell 'em.

To the moderator: So are you going to discriminate against sounds are is it
just images that bother you?

Kevin

=============== Don't bite my finger, look where it's pointing ================
Kevin "fractal" Purcell  | SURFACE SCIENCE CENTRE | These opinions are
kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk | Liverpool University   | shareware. Send me $10 if
(c) 1990                 | Liverpool L69 3BX      | you use them.

[The only thing that matters to me is what the law allows. If it was
 against the law to hold sounds in the archive, I would delete them. However,
 I think (but am not totally sure) that there is some specific exception
 which says you can use the sounds if they are less than a certain length
 of time. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Jun 90 15:41:59 CDT
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Crashes

For some time now I've been having alarming crashes on my IIcx 4/80 with
Apple's Portrait Display attached. The crashes are random and not INIT
related, since they've occured after starting up off a no-init floppy.
What happens is that in the middle of some operation, or even just dis-
playing a screen-saver, the menu-bar scrambles or lines appear across
the screen and everything freezes. If I restart from the programmer's
switch the IIcx gets going - the drive whirs for the right amount of time
and Pink Floyd welcomes me to the machine - but the screen stays dead, tho'
the power light is on (and sometimes this happens at first startup in the
morning). I find that if I unhook the monitor from the box and open the top
of the box to let the bad karma out (as we techies say) and then reconnect
everything, the problem goes away for anything from 10 minutes to ten days.
Any ideas? Bad video card? Bad monitor? Hsa anyone else had a similar
experience?

Graeme Forbes
PL0BALF at TCSVM

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  6 Jun 90 08:40:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bryan Todd Schmersal <bs1k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Downloaded Files

I recently downloaded some files from your archives, and after I had
binhexed and unstuffed these files, the applications, inits, and cdevs
all came up as plain documents on the desktop.  The applications can
only be launched using Command-Option-Open and the inits and cdevs don't
work at all.  I tried using ResEdit to see if there was anything I could
do to fix the files and they all had blank types and creators.  I tried
to change these to what I thought were acceptable values, but they would
just revert after quitting ResEdit.  Any ideas?

SMURF

Bryan T. Schmersal ==> SMURF                  bs1k+@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon University     ==>WHITEHEART<==      (412)268-8579
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213                       POST NO BILLS
"I'd rather be a survivor at Carnegie Mellon than a hero at Pitt."
           ==>I'm outta here (as a student at least)<==

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Jun 90 13:30:46 MDT
From: daspit%zodiac@johns.Stanford.EDU (John Daspit, C.U. LASP, (303)492-6951)
Subject: Fixing Mac Plus

Hi netters,
	Can anyone tell me which transistor (or ?) needs to be replaced
on a MAC Plus when the infamous video problem (read design flaw) occurs?
We're getting tired of spending $180 a pop for repair of them here at
the Univ. of Colorado, and it'd be greatly appreciated if we could
find out which $1.89 part goes bad in them. Thanks in advance.

John Daspit
DASPIT@COLOLASP

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 11:38:41 -0400
From: boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Rich Akerboom)
Subject: Fonts for ImageWriter LQ

You should look for FontSizer from U. S. MicroLabs in Texas, 512-339-0001.
This program (as i understand it) will use a networked postscript printer
to product the screen fonts. Just tell it which font and which size and it
will do the postcript interpretation on the printer and upload the result
to the mac. Guess it can tell the printer to how many dpi to use when
doing the calculation as well, since screen is 72 and printer 300.

Were you at CeBIT in Hannover in March? What did you think of the apple
Stand?

Rich Akerboom   Internet:  boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Jun 90 17:59 EST
From: <FILLMORE%EMRCAN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Indian head test pattern

Does anyone know of an image file of the old indian head TV test pattern?
(the old timers will know what this is)
I would prefer one with high resolution if possible in PICT, GIF,
IFF, or Sun rasterfile format.   Thanks!
________________________
Bob Fillmore, Systems Software & Communications     BITNET:  FILLMORE@EMRCAN
  Computer Services Centre,                         BIX:     bfillmore
  Energy, Mines, & Resources Canada                 Voice:   (613) 992-2832
  588 Booth St., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1A 0E4   FAX:     (613) 996-2953

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Jun 90 21:55:33 EDT
From: Clare Durst <CCD@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #111

The question was raised: if Apple wants everyone to go to System 7, what
are they going to do about selling machines with 1 meg of memory (and
no hard disk)?  That question was raised of Chris Espinosa at MacAdemia.
He waffled.  Sorry, but there's no other word for it.  He said no decision
had been made about that.  No decision made about whether to continue to
develop/support System 6.x in the future.  It seems likely to me that
they'll have to, assuming that they are serious about hitting the low-end
market, as an article in today's Infoworld says they intend to do.
   Another Sys 7 thing I forgot to mention in my earlier posting, DAs
can be dragged into the system file (which will be "tidied up") and
the font-da mover will be unnecessary (although still usable, I gather).
And SO CAN ALIASES, which means you can "set startup"  with certain
applications or files having their alias put in the system folder.

He also had time to kill because another speaker didn't make it, so he
talked about Windows 3.  And he told a story about a man who was killed
and went to St. Peter.  St. Peter said, do you want to go to heaven or
hell?  What are they like? said the man.  So he was shown Heaven and it
was full of old bingo-players sitting around.  And hell, which was
basically young swingers in night clubs.  Being young, he said, I'll
take hell any day. But when he got there he found it full of sulphuric
acid, temp 500 degrees in the shade, etc.  Hey, he said, what was that
Hell that you showed me?  Oh, they said, that was the DEMO.

And THAT, said CE, is the difference between Windows 3.0 in demo and
reality.  Well, we'll see.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Jun 90 18:57:28 MEZ
From: Helmut ORTNER <U3011VAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: info-Mac V8 number 110. importing data with subfiles into 4D.

Re: InfoMac V8 #110
Subject: Importing data with subfiles into 4D

Hi GREENY|

I assume that you can create a textfile from your Hypercard data
that reflects the structure of your 4D-database: each field
TAB-delimited and the entire record CR-terminated. Consider each subfile
as a multivalued field and precede it by its repeat counter specifying
how often it occurs in this specific record. Of course the subrecord
can consist of more than one TAB-delimited field; the repeat-counter
makes it unambigous.
To import this into 4D you must create a little procedure that assigns
the file via SET CHANNEL command, then in a loop until end of file
creates a new record with the CREATE RECORD command, reads each field
with the RECEIVE PACKET command, eventually converts the string to the
correct field type; in the case of a subfile you first read the repeat
counter, then in a nested loop for each subrecord you create it with the
CREATE SUBRECORD command, read its fields as stated above, and finally
you must save the entire record with the SAVE RECORD command.
As you will see this works rather slow when executing, but its still
much faster than rekeying the data.

Good Luck|
Helmut (U3011VAB at AWIUNI11)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Jun 90 14:39:28 CET
From: Klaus Koehler <KOEHLER%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac <-> Unix

Hi Netters,

does anybody have experience with Macs at the ethernet? I am interested
in connecting some Macs to a network of unix-workstation (Silicon Graphics).
It should be possible to mount the disks of the server-station via NFS
and to connect to the workstations with preferrably rlogin,rcp,etc...

Is there any software out there for Mac OS or is the only way to do it
running A/UX on the Macs?

Thanks for any help...
      Klaus

|  Klaus Koehler                     Private: Steinweg 32              |
|  +49 (0)6421 28-5548                        D-3550 Marburg           |
|  Fachbereich Chemie / AK Reetz              West-Germany             |
|  Philipps-Universitaet Marburg              Phone: +49 (0)6421 66972 |
|  Hans Meerwein Strasse                                               |
|  D-3550 Marburg                        Earn/Bitnet: KOEHLER@DMRHRZ11 |
|  West-Germany                 UUCP: DMRHRZ11.BITNET!Koehler@tub.UUCP |
|                    Internet: KOEHLER%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu |
 Science and peace will triumph over ignorance and war.      -- Pasteur

------------------------------

Date: 5 Jun 90 22:42:04 GMT
From: bwgill@marlin.nosc.mil (Brenda W. Gillcrist)
Subject: mac serial I/O

 I am writing some control software on the macintosh that utilizes the serial port. I have noticed that when I send 0-255 to the macintosh that it ignores ascii 17 and 19 which correspond to the control characters on the macintosh. Does anyone know how to get around this problem????Thank you
 Brenda

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Jun 1990 15:03:08 CDT
From: T1F4387@venus.tamu.edu (Michael Farlow aka Captain Video)
Subject: More Information about Access Managed Environment

Here is some more information about Access Managed Environment (AME).  I
found this after posting the earlier info, so I apologize for the repeat of some
information.

AME is a utility that can set up levels of usage similar to that of AppleShare.
For example, we could have at least 3 levels of usage on the Mac: General,
Lab Staff, and SuperUser.  Each would have it's own password and the students
can be taught to enter 'STUDENT' or 'GENERAL as the password.  One other
feature is that this security system *cannot* be bypassed by a floppy disk
with a System File on it.  This is done by encrypting the hard drive and then
upon starup, looking for a certain INIT (startup document) that contains the
proper 'key'.  If not found, the hard disk will not mount.

Other features are:

  * Security and Virus Protection
  * Logging of Software and Hardware activity
  * Protection against Illegal Copying (even defeats DiskTop and MacTools)
  * Prevents Launching of unauthorized programs (protects agains Trojan Horses)
  * Multiple levels of Users with individual/group access controls
  * _Specific_ Desh Accessory Control
  * Multiple encryption/password options.

All-in-all this package is probably the best securty package of its type.

I called the publisher (Casady & Greene, Inc) and talked to a sales rep.  He
told me that they are presently releasing AME in a controlled release (meaning,
it is not available from mail-order or local stores) so that they can avoid
the pitfalls of a v1.0x release.  They are selling AME at $85/unit and it can
be bought in 1, 5, and 10 user packs.  Custom serialization (ie. for TAMU
inventory) is avialable for $75.  P.O.'s are taken for larger (>5) orders only,
but credit cards and checks are accepted.

Casady and Greene can be reached at:

   P.O. Box 223779
   Carmel, Ca  93922
   800/359-4290
   408/624-8716
   E-Mail: D0063@Applelink.apple.com

-Michael Farlow,
 Texas A&M University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 11:00 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Need a billing program for a Print Shop

Greetings,

Our University print shop needs a billing/inventory/estimating program to help
them keep track of many accounts doing many print jobs each month. They need to
be able to easily update prices for paper, etc., do monthly billing and daily
entry of jobs.

If you are using a system that you think would help us please forward
information to me. I'll post responses if there's enough interest.

Peter Jorgensen
Microcomputer specialist
Colgate University - Hamilton, NY 13346
AppleLink - U0523
BITNET - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU
tel - 315-824-1000 ext 742

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Jun 90 17:16 CST
From: <NBEHR%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Printing under MultiFinder

 In a previous digest I asked why printing was slow under MF. First, I
must apologize for bothering everyone, because some tedious but simple
experimentation could have provided the answer. Second, let me thank
all who replied. Third, the answer may be useful to some readers; the
description below refers to a one-page Word 4.00A document printed on
a 2.5 MB Mac Plus/IW II setup.
 Multifinder partition size, as most respondents suggested, is not a
problem: increasing the recommended 512K to 1500K did not affect
printing time under MultiFinder at all; it did speed up printing of
a similar TeXtures document, but only slightly (by a few seconds).
 After removing all inits, time changed from 3'15" to 1'34". Turning
them on one by one, I found out that the last one (of course...), i.e.
Gatekeeper Aid, was the culprit (Gatekeeper itself doesn't affect the
time, nor does Suitcase, Boomerang, Moire, QuicKeys, etc.)
 The interesting part is that under Finder, there was no difference
whatever whether G. Aid was on or off.

 In short: Gatekeeper Aid, MultiFinder and ImageWriter printing don't
mix. I haven't had the time to experiment with LaserWriter SC, but I
expect the results to be similar.

Eric Behr
Illinois State U., Mathematics
NBEHR@ECNCDC.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue 5 Jun 90 23:33:51-EDT
From: C. David Young <DYOUNG@a.isi.edu>
Subject: RMaker

I am trying to compile the resource file for NCSA Telnet (ncsa.rsrc.r), but
am having no success.  This is my first time to use RMaker, so it could be
that I don't know what I am doing.  When I try to compile, it says "Can't
create output file!" and stops.  I have RMaker 2.2, circa 1986.  Is this version
perhaps too old?  If so, does anybody know where I can fetch a newer
version or RMaker (or something else that will do the job) via ftp?  I have
looked on apple.com and even downloaded the 6.05 system software, but
have been unable to find it.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

David Young
dyoung@a.isi.edu

-------

------------------------------

Date: Wed 6 Jun 90 09:52:47-EDT
From: C. David Young <DYOUNG@a.isi.edu>

Well, I pretty much solved my own problem.  I fetched resdecomp.hqx from
the sumex archives and this allowed me to decomplie the resources in
NCSA Telnet to a resource source file which RMaker would then compile.
Evidently there are several incompatible formats for resource source files,
and it depends on the compiler you have.  I also fetched restools from
the archive and it looks like it could be a good program.

I would still be interested in hearing from people with opinions about
which resource tools are the best.

David Young
dyoung@a.isi.edu
-------

------------------------------

Date: WED JUN 06, 1990 09.36.51 EST
From: "Kimberly J. Rose" <KJR0@lehigh>
Subject: Scheduling programs

Hi,
I know that this question has been asked before, but are there any
programs available for a Mac [ or even a  (cough, cough) PC ] that will
schedule events.  I was asked if I could write a program
that schedules tennis matches.  I understand that they want to schedule
doubles matches so that people play with different partners and against
different people.  In other words they want to "maximize mixing."  I
don't have the know-how to write such a program (neither the
programming skills nor any understanding of scheduling), and I recall
people asking about this sort of thing before.  I don't think they mind
if it is commercial or public domain software.  (I don't even know if
they have a computer, much less what kind...)
Thanks for your help!   :)

Kim Rose

Please e-mail responses to me:
kjr0@lehigh.bitnet
ukjrose@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Jun 90 19:57:49 CDT
From: Marshall Carroll <NU163467@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: spreadsheets with subscripts and diffnt fonts in the same cell?

Hi. Are there any spreadsheet programs for the MacII that let you put
subscripts and diffnt fonts in the same cell (for example, the chemical
formula for water H2O with the 2 as a subscript)? I have only looked at
MS Excel so far and it doesn't seem to be able to do this? Thanks,
             Marshall Carroll
   BITNET:  NU163467@NDSUVM1
 INTERNET:  NU163467@VM1.NODAK.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 1990 7:13:04 CDT
From: TURNBULL@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx (Carlos Turnbull)
Subject: StrataVision 3D

Hello everyone:
I work in the department of graphic design at the University of the Americas
in Puebla, Mexico, we just got StrataVision 3D along with StrataFlight, we
have been working with them, and although slow, we think they are fine for
the work we will be doing, has anyone out there work with them? we would like
to know. Also, has anyone seen, worked, etc. with MacroMind 3D and RenderWorks?
Please let me know, I shall post any relevant findings, on them...Thanks.
Charlie Turnbull
TURNBULL@UDLAPVMS.PUE.UDLAP.MX
Universidad de las Americas-Puebla
Mexico

------------------------------

Date: 5 Jun 90 23:22:54 GMT
From: chuq@apple.com (That's MR. Idiot to you)
Subject: System 7.0 on new machines

gateh%conncoll.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu writes:
>>From "Syllabus for the Macintosh", May/June 1990, Number 11:

>"The new software, System Software Version 7.0, will be rolled in across
>the product line.

>I am wondering if the phrase "across the product line" implies that all new
>systems shipped after the V7.0 release will be shipped with V7.0, and
>therefore will all be shipping with 2 MB RAM (and a hard disk?) standard.

No. System 7 will be shipped with systems that are System 7 compatible (i.e.
2 meg or more memory) and system 6.0.x will continue to ship with one meg
systems.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

It isn't easy being green.		-- Kermit

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Jun 90 16:50:36 EST
From: "Eric G. Broque" <OFABEGB%UVMADMIN.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Thanks & 512K upgrade & EXCEL

1. Many thanks to all those who responded to my question about how to
   discard an unwanted and untrashable file.  I received 16 responses
   before I had even caught up with INFO-MAC to see my qeustion posted.
   To date, none of the simple solutions have worked and I am exploring
   suggestions which required tools I did not have available as I acquire
   them.

2. While I use a IIcx w/5MB and color monitor at work, I have an old 512K
   at home which limps along with an erratic video card (screen goes blank),
   a noisy internal disk drive, no hard disk and 1/2 MB of memory. I am
   seeking advice from those who have upgraded 512K's - is it worth the
   investment, or do is the old technology not worth saving? Any product
   recommendations/warnings? Anyone wnat to buy it as an antique?

3. I am still looking for an EXCEL list. Meanwhile a suggestion for a new
   feature (unless it is already there and I haven't found it). It would be
   very handy if when a cell or range was named, every formula which
   referenced those cells were updated to use the new range name. Conversely,
   should a name be deleted, names would revert to cell ranges. Also, should
   any Microsoft employees be listening, periodic auto-saves and the ability
   to set default folders for OPEN and SAVE (a la Word Perfect / Mac) are
   glaring omissions - hopefully to be added in the next release.

           Eric G. Broque
           Financial Analysis & Budgeting
           University of Vermont                  OFABEGB@UVMADMIN

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 09:51:40 PDT
From: Eric_Poustie@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: The great anonymity debate...

At the great risk of being flamed repeatedly, I'd like to enlist the
help of someone to help clean the registration off my SUM master
diskette.  Yes, my wife grabbed the disk and just typed a few letters
of gibberish to get into the program quickly.  So now I've got an
annoying opening screen since I recently rebuilt my crashed hard disk
with the original diskettes.  The Anonymity program of recent discussion
doesn't seem to do the trick for me.

                                                                  Eric

| Eric B. Poustie           | My BBS:  Generic  (604) 574-1199   |
| 17342 - 62A Avenue        |------------------------------------|
| Surrey, BC  V3S 5J1       | Hardware used:  Mac SE & AT        |
| Canada                    | Interests:  Macintosh, motorcyling |
|================================================================|
[ These opinions are my own - my wife won't take responsibility! ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Jun 90 10:38:21 CDT
From: Jim Wirtanen <MN032773@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: Typing Tutor Program needed

I need to purchase a typing (keyboarding) tutor program for students and
staff who are starting out with little or no mac (computer) experience.
Has anyone had any experience with Broderbund's Type! 1.0 or any other
typing tutor programs?  Any help, even a brief E-Mail message would be
useful in making a decision.  Thanks in advance.
* JIM WIRTANEN, AUDIOVISUAL LIBRARIAN                                  *
* MINOT STATE UNIVERSITY         "DISCLAIMER: AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST"  *
* 500 UNIVERSITY AVE.; MINOT, ND 58701 <MN032773 AT NDSUVM1>           *
* PHONE: 701-857-3094; FAX 701839-6933; APPLELINK:U0650;               *

End of Info-Mac Digest