Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/08/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu,  7 Jun 90       Volume 8 : Issue 113

Today's Topics:

      1 Meg SIMM's
      Access Privileges
      Add-in RS232 boards for Mac IIci?
      Anonymity - recant of original request
      Backup devices/software for localtalk
      Backup systems
      Copyright
      Copyright & Kevin Purcell
      DON"T USE FASTBACK II
      Drafting/Light CAD Software for Mac?
      Efficient use of Courier HST modems
      Fixing Mac Plus
      Harddisk suicide
      HyperCard Stack for Msissing Children...
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #112
      looking for a prolog compiler
      Looking for programs
      Mac error codes
      Printing postscript files on a laserwriter
      Programming Help
      Removable media drive from Procom Technology
      Steroid & SAM
      System 7.0 tidbit

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 06 Jun 90 14:08:34 CDT
From: Paul Heroy <HEROY%LSUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 1 Meg SIMM's

After seeing a few postings about SIMM's for the Mac, I thought I'd relate
my buying experience. I called a few places that advertise in the back of
MacWeek, and noticed that a bunch seem to be located in Austin, Texas.
(Obviously something there, I don't know what though.) The three places I
called there were Stratum, Third Wave, and Technology Works. All three had
friendly operators who were helpful and courteous. I ended up ordering from
Stratum - 4 1M SIMM's, 70ns, total (with shipping) of $280. The chips and
boards were NEC with a lifetime warranty. They arrived promptly and worked,
so to sum it up, I'm a happy camper. I also called The Chip Merchant, but
their operator was nearly rude, and they don't take credit cards, so I
didn't consider them.

If you have no problem installing your SIMM's yourself (pretty easy to
do), I'd recommend Stratum, though Third Wave and Tech. Works seemed
similar - I think Stratum may have just had a slightly better price when
I happened to call.

Paul Heroy                        Bitnet: heroy@lsuvm
Computer Analyst                  Internet: heroy@lsuvm.sncc.lsu.edu
System Network Computer Center
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, La. 70803

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Jun 90 18:39:04 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Access Privileges

The School of Architecture here has a computer facility with five Mac
SEs, not connected to a network.  Over the past year we have, as is to
be expected, had some trouble with students accidentally moving software from
folder to folder, renaming software, saving their docs randomly to
folders on the hard disks.  Ugh.

What we would like to do is find some way of locking all the folders on
a hard disk except for one called "Work Folder" or some such, so that
that folder would be the only one students could save to or otherwise
molest.

Please send your ideas, names and prices of software packages commercial
and public domain, which can do this easily and safely (we'll want a
password to avoid tampering, of course).  Send to me and I'll summarize.

Many thanks in advance,

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  6 JUN 90 12:31:31 PDT
From: <MICRO2.KEMPF@crvax.sri.com>
Subject: Add-in RS232 boards for Mac IIci?

     I'm trying to control devices which use RS232 connections
>From a Mac IIci.  Are there plug-in boards available?  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Kempf
MICRO2.KEMPF@SRI.COM

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jun 90 08:45:00 EST
From: "Jeffrey Templon" <templon@venus.iucf.indiana.edu>
Subject: Anonymity - recant of original request

Hi,

	I was the original poster about anonymity. After seeing all the
satisfied that there are legit uses for the program (if you remember, my
original post had said that I could think of no legit uses.  I was wrong.)

	That is until I saw NBEHR@ECNCDC's posting.  I have heard his
argument before, and have no sympathy for it at ALL.

>patience and a copy of ResEdit can remove the registration strings.
>I thought one of the purposes of info-mac is to educate Mac users in
>how to use such tools... or are we now all of a sudden supposed to
>prevent Mac novices from becoming adept users, lest they violate

He is right that anyone with patience and ResEdit CAN remove the info.
Teaching someone how to use ResEdit *can be* education .... posting a
program that makes it easy to alter a copy of a program is NOT education
(just click the button, and PRESTO! ... we're really making these users
adept, hey!)  Yes, education is part of the function of this group, but I
don't think that anonymity has anything to do with education.

>our intentions are, we are only fooling ourselves. Trying to decide
>what recipes can be publicized does much more harm than good - because
>it sets the precedent for self-censorship. Of course, I'd worry about
>publishing a plan of an easy to conceal pipe-bomb, because it's clear
>that the only use of it would lead to bodily harm or death. But a piece
>of software like that can only cause material damages to someone, and
>responsibility for this *lies with the user*. Let's not be arrogant
>enough to say that we are the keepers of truth, and that we will act
>so as to *make* others more honest and law-abiding. Anyone with some

	I think it is always useful to practice self-censorship.  I don't
think that, had anonymity not had any legit uses, removing it from the
archives would be *making* users more honest and law-abiding.  It would
have been not making it *easy* for them to be dishonest and law-breaking.
It would also have been a statement that this segment of the Mac community
does not approve of that particular brand of dishonesty.

	Philosophy espoused, I would now like to retract my vote for tossing
anonymity.  I really would hate to think of someone having to watch their
secretary's cutesy comment pop up at every launch (i enjoyed that post.)

	And I propose further religious discussions on censorship be
posted to alt.religious.wars or whatever.

				Jeff Templon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 16:01:52 PDT
From: doug@nisd.cam.unisys.com (Doug Hardie)
Subject: Backup devices/software for localtalk

Is there a backup device and/or software that would allow a large backup
device (e.g. tape) to be connected to one Mac on a localtalk net and be
used to backup/restore any/all of the various hard disks on other Macs
on the localtalk net?

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 16:36:32 PDT
From: doug@nisd.cam.unisys.com (Doug Hardie)
Subject: Backup systems

In a previous note, I asked about backup systems for the Mac.  However,
I should have included some extra info.  I also have a number of Suns
connected to the localtalk network through a Kinetics box.  One of those
Suns has a large tape drive.  Is there a way to use something like Telnet
to move Mac files through the Sun to the tape and back?

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 08:21:41 EDT
From: Gerald Edgar <edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu>
Subject: Copyright

>From today's Info Mac Digest:

      [*] Escher's Self-Portriate
      Copyright

Doesn't this seem a bit strange?  I have noticed that the archive people
get upset when copyrighted software is sent, but hardly notice copyrighted
texts, pictures, sounds, musical scores, and so on.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

[See the previous digest for my comments on copyrighted sounds. We certainly
 do not want to violate any copyrights. If the Escher pictures (or anything
 else in the archives) is copyrighted and no distribution rights are given,
 they will be deleted forthwith. Are they copyrighted? -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: 07 Jun 90 08:51:27
From: Richard.A.Damon.III@mac.dartmouth.edu
Subject: Copyright & Kevin Purcell

C'mon Kevin, give them a break.  I don't think your comment to the moderators
about discriminating against sounds vs. images was fair to them.  These guys
do a lot of work to maintain the archives and publish the digest.  But they
are in a very tenuous position legally, as almost none of these issues has yet
been tested in court.  And while you might personally like to err on the side
of moral conviction, they are better off being careful.  We stand to lose
everything if they are not clearly making a best effort at filtering what goes
on their archive.  And I think the discussion to date has been very useful.
So let's stick to the issues and not abuse the moderators.

------------------------------

Date: 06 Jun 90 17:01:00 EDT
From: Fifth Generation Systems <76004.2301@compuserve.com>
Subject: DON"T USE FASTBACK II

To: >INTERNET info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu
Mr. Trimper:

I received a copy fo your "DON'T USE FASTBACK II !!!" message recently, which I
read with great interest.  Despite your concerns about the potential head
damage, I wish to assure you that there is no reason for alarm about the way
Fastback II operates.

Due to the way the floppy diskette drive is designed,  It is physically
impossible for the heads to come in contact with the floppy disk before the
diskette is fully inserted unless the diskette drive itself is defective or
damaged.  Sony, who manufactures the drives used in Macs, should be able to
verify this for you.

Also the "grinding" sound you hear is the sound of the disk coming up to speed
after it has been inserted in the already-spinning drive.  This type of
operation enhances the efficiency of the backup operation and causes no damage
to hardware during that time.  Sony should also be able to verify this point.

Another factor to consider is that there have been recent problems with
reliability in high-density diskette drives that may have been the cause of your
friend's problem.  Blaming problems on the most recently executed program may be
convenient, but it is not always correct.

Finally, I would like to inform you that Fastback II has, to my knowledge, never
been responsible for any damage to hardware in the history of its existence.

If you have any further questions or comments, please contact me either through
INTERNET, the address is 76004.3201@COMPUSERVE.COM, or by phone at 504-291-7221.

Yours truly,
Dwayne Melancon
Director of Technical Support, Fifth Generation Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Jun 90 09:35:13 PDT
From: Rick Bender <rickb%monty@rand.org>
Subject: Drafting/Light CAD Software for Mac?

Would you please share your experience with drafting &/or light CAD software
for the Macintosh [IIci w/ 5 Meg RAM]?  I want something that will allow me to
put together drawings/blueprints for a residential kitchen/deck remodel that
can be used to get a building permit.  Floor plans are most important, but
elevations would be a really big plus.  Some software under consideration:

Innovative Data Design     Graphsoft                 Claris
   MacDraft $170.            *Blueprint $339.          *MacDraw II $295.
  *Dreams $320.               Mini Cad + $520.          Claris CAD $595.

Deneba                     Silicon Beach             Generic, Generic CAD $85.
  *Canvas $189.               Super Paint $125.
   Ultra Paint $125.          Super 3D $315.         Ashlar, Vellum  $689.

Approximate current mail order prices in US dollars.  I don't want to spend
more than about $300., and would obviously prefer something less expensive.

Please respond directly to me.  I will send a summary to the net.

Thanks much!

Rick Bender <rickb@rand.org>
(213) 393-0411 x6498

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 1990 17:59:11 PDT
From: Peter Szolovits <psz@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Efficient use of Courier HST modems

I have been frustrated by my inability to squeeze optimal performance out of
our US Robotics Courier HST modems with any of the communication packages I
have tried (or heard of) and wondered if anyone has found a reasonable solution
to the identical problem.  Usually, in addition to some sort of terminal
emulation, for which almost any program I've looked at does a reasonable job
(e.g., Kermit is just fine), I want to do the fastest possible up and
downloads.  For a download, this means going from a Unix box over ethernet to a
network terminal concentrator like a CISCO box with these Courier HST modems,
over a phone line to my Mac, with the same kind of modem.  Upload just reverses
the path.  These modems (about two years old now) support 9600 baud with USR's
own signaling scheme (roughly, it's a rapid-turnaround asymmetrical allocation
of bandwidth, 9600/300, so even though it looks like full duplex, there's a
fast channel and a slow channel that get swapped by the modems as they detect
traffic volume).  In addition, these modems support error correction and the
ability to do data compression, yielding, in principle, communication rates
close to 19.2 kilobits/sec.

Transferring an HQX file, for example, should at best give me close to 2000
bytes/sec, at the 19.2K transfer rate.  In fact, I count myself lucky if I get
anywhere near a fifth of that.  Why?

1.  Looking at the "receive data" and "send data" lights, I see that most of
the time is spent waiting for handshakes.  Using 1000-byte Kermit packets, for
example, I can see that the whole packet comes in one short burst (sometimes
with a noticable short gap in the middle, if the Ethernet packetization between
the Unix box and the terminal concentrator is slow).  Then there's at least an
equal-length delay while the acknowledgement goes back.  Clearly, the situation
is better than if we still had only 94-character (or XMODEM's 128-character)
packets, but as baud rates rise, more and more of the time goes into waiting
for the handshake.  I've read about sliding-windows Kermit and other such
attempts to get around this particular problem, but as far as I can tell this
hasn't made it into any of the programs I own (Kermit) or have been able to get
my hands on to test (Versaterm Pro 2.20, Red Ryder 9.4, Smartcom II,
MacTerminal 2.2).

2.  In order to use data compression or automatic error correction, you must be
able to support flow control.  The Courier modems support either XON/XOFF flow
control or hardware flow control (RTS/CTS lines in RS-232).  Hardware flow
control is clearly better because it doesn't interfere with use of the full
character set.  For example, I like to use Emacs, which binds Control-S as the
search key.  Also 8-bit downloads mean I can send binary files, if all the
signalling can be out-of-band.  Alas, no comm program I've seen supports
RTS/CTS flow control.  There was a recent info-mac posting of multistation-320,
which supports CTS/DTR handshake, but that program does not include file
transfers, and also DTR is the "wrong" signal.  Historically, it tells the
modem whether the attached device is up or down, not free or busy.  With the
Courier HST, resetting it causes the modem to drop the connection (at least
when in error-correcting mode).

3.  With the error correction and retry built into these modems, it seems like
the protocols used by the various communication programs should be redundant.
My experience with Kermit file transfers is that with ARQ on (Automatic Retry
Request -- the modem's error-correction feature), Kermit never sees any errors,
though I suppose it could time out if the phone line were so noisy that the
modem's own protocol could not get a Kermit packet through in the allowed time.

Is there actually a workable and closer to optimal solution that I am just
overlooking?  Do I simply have to settle for hour-long downloads that should be
achievable in less than 15 minutes?  Thanks for any information, and I'll be
happy to post to the net if there's good news.

-- Peter Szolovits
MIT Lab for Computer Science
(this year Stanford Medical Computer Science)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 16:04:09 -0400
From: boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Rich Akerboom)
Subject: Fixing Mac Plus

Get Larry Pina's book _Macintosh Repair and Upgrade Secrets_. It has complete
diagnostic procedures and directions on how to repair. There are many "infamous
mac + video problems". Hayden books puts it out. If you can't find it, i'll
send you the ISBN number (not at the office at the moment).

Rich Akerboom

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 22:19 +0100
From: "Povl H. Pedersen" <ECO8941@ecostat.aau.dk>
Subject: Harddisk suicide

I installed a standard SEAGATE ST157N-1 harddisk on my mac SE about a
month ago, and this evening it has come to a sudden dead. I was doing some
programming (that crashed a bit btw), and I then made a shutdown and went
out to cook some food.

When I returned 2 hours later and turned the machine on, then there were
a lot of noise from the harddisk. At the start it almost sounded as if
somebody did knock on my door, but after 1-2 secs. it went on with some
more permanent noises.
I then turned off the machine, and removed the scsi cable from the drive
and leaved the power wires connected. When I turned on the mac again I got
the same troubles again. The computer has NEVER been transported, and it
has only had a very few and small shocks, so I think there may be something
wrong with the drive itself. The label on the drive even says that the warranty
is void if it exposed to more than 60 (sixty) G, and this is quite some shock.

Is there anybody who knows how to restore the data on the drive ? I need
info on how to make the drive spin again long enough to read my lost
data from the past week.
The local dealer will just replace the drive under waranty, but I would
like to get my data back. Meanwhile I am using my original HD20 scsi drive.
Please mail me about any experience.

thanks,
Povl H. Pedersen
Denmark

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  6 Jun 90 22:37:06 CDT
From: "Peter Lau" <F1.LAU@isumvs.iastate.edu>
Subject: HyperCard Stack for Msissing Children...

Hi,

Anyone watch the 48 Hours Special from CBS on Wednesday? The missing
children stories really got me. I wonder if a HyperCard Stack, with
photographs and information of the missing children, may help to
find them. The stack can be posted on many bulletin boards.

Any feedback? Any comment? Anyone doing that out there already?
Anyone can pass this words to the right organization?

Thank you for your attention.

Peter Lau
F1.LAU@ISUMVS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 08:10:30 EST
From: jd@cartan.math.nd.edu (John Derwent)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #112

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators):

> I recently downloaded some files from your archives, and after I had
> binhexed and unstuffed these files, the applications, inits, and cdevs
> all came up as plain documents on the desktop.  The applications can
> only be launched using Command-Option-Open and the inits and cdevs don't
> work at all.  I tried using ResEdit to see if there was anything I could
> do to fix the files and they all had blank types and creators.  I tried
> to change these to what I thought were acceptable values, but they would
> just revert after quitting ResEdit.  Any ideas?
>
> SMURF

One way to cause these symptoms is to run Gatekeeper without giving Stuffit
enough privileges.
John E. Derwent jd@cartan.math.nd.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 06 Jun 90 21:40:09 CDT
From: kackie <ENPAIN%LSUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: looking for a prolog compiler

Can anyone help me to find a prolog compiler good enough to learn on, but
which does not cost the world with a fence around it?  If you know of one, plea
se send info to me at

enpain at lsuvm.bitnet

thanks -

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 17:10 CST
From: MONCRIEF%TCUAVMS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: Looking for programs

I'm looking for two items.
1) An inventory program to help with a wine collection

2) A simple TO DO List DA that will allow one line items and sorting by number

Can anyone suggest where I might find either of these?

Karen Moncrief
Sr. User Services Consultant
Box 32883
Texas Christian University
Fort Worth, Texas 76129
BITNET: MONCRIEF@TCUCVMS

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 12:02:36 PDT
From: doug@nisd.cam.unisys.com (Doug Hardie)
Subject: Mac error codes

Is there a complete list somewhere of the various error codes produced
by the Mac?  All the various sub-lists I have found in manuals and
Inside Mac volumes are out of date.  We get numbers that are not in any
of those lists.  Also, some of the numbers closer to zero are duplicated.
They have different meanings if they are returned from a toolbox call or
in a bomb message.  However, with multifinder, one gets a class of
alerts where the message says the program unexpectedly quit with a number.
Which number is that - the bomb number or the toolbox error number?

-- Doug

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jun 90 21:06:18 GMT
From: cti1!kmeek@uunet.uu.net (Meek)
Subject: Printing postscript files on a laserwriter

I have a file (ascii text) that is postscript language commands.

My question is how do i get this to print on a laserwriter printer from
a mac.

The file is listed as a Document but I can't double click on it -- it gives
application busy or unavailable.

I can bring the text into Word but when I print from there it just prints
the postcript language file out as ascii.

I know very little about Mac's so please no flames for such a simple
question.

Kevin Meek
Comprehensive Technologies Int'l Inc.
2121 Crystal Drive   Suite #103
Arlington,  VA  22202
uunet!cit1!kmeek  OR cti1!kmeek@uunet.uu.net

------------------------------

Date: 7 June 1990 08:39:50 CDT
From: U49852%UICVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Programming Help

I am trying to write a program in LightSpeed Pascal and I need to
display textual results. I would like to have some bold text, would like
some things to be centered in a window, and have more information than
will fit on one screen so it needs to be scrollable.  I am looking for
suggestions and comments on how to do this.  I have considered lists,
textedit, picture, ect and am looking for the "right" way to do it.
 One other thing, can I dynamically change the size (length) of a
bitmap as I need more room.  If bounds is changed is everything allocated?
    Thanks a lot.

Gary Seibold
G & R Software
U49852@UICVM

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 10:00:34 PDT
From: Eric_Poustie@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: Removable media drive from Procom Technology

When I was at MacWorld in San Francisco a couple of months back, I came
across Procomm Technology, who makes a number of different storage
systems for IBM and the Mac.  What most interested me was their removable
Winchester hard drive, which sports 42megs of storage per cartridge, and
for which they also manufacture what they call a CC enabler; a SCSI adapter
that will let you use this unit with a Mac or an IBM.

If anyone has used this product, I'd sure like to hear from you.  My
main concern is that the enabler card will be compatible with existing
hard drives in the AT, and that it is truly transferable between the
Mac and the IBM.  This company (based in Costa Mesa, CA, BTW) sells
direct and through dealers, and I'd also like to know the names of
competitive dealers for this product if you've bought it.  Thanks!

                                                                Eric

| Eric B. Poustie           | My BBS:  Generic  (604) 574-1199   |
| 17342 - 62A Avenue        |------------------------------------|
| Surrey, BC  V3S 5J1       | Hardware used:  Mac SE & AT        |
| Canada                    | Interests:  Macintosh, motorcyling |
|================================================================|
[ These opinions are my own - my wife won't take responsibility! ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 13:03:26 EDT
From: "Joel B. Levin" <levin@bbn.com>
Subject: Steroid & SAM

The following is forwarded on behalf of Paul Cozza, the author of SAM.

	/JBL

  **********

For SAM 2.0 users:

As recently reported, a new Trojan horse named Steroid has recently been
discovered. It is set to go off on July 1st, 1990, at which time it zeroes your
volume directories (it is possible to recover files on hard disks with
utilities such as SUM II). Before that time the Trojan remains dormant.

This Trojan is shipped with the file name (Steroid) preceded by 2 invisible
characters along with a warning not to change the file name. These 2 invisible
characters are there to make it load before SAM (or other INITs). If you leave
this file in your system folder, then you are in danger (especially if have not
renamed it).

If you have renamed the file so that it runs after SAM (in general, NO unknown
INITs should ever be allowed to run before SAM), then in advanced or custom
modes you will get SAM alerts saying "There is an attempt to bypass the file
system" when this Trojan attacks your volumes. Denying these attempts prevents
the Trojan from doing any damage.

You can enter the following virus definition in Virus Clinic to allow both SAM
Intercept and Virus Clinic to detect this Trojan during scans.

   Virus Name:  Steroid Trojan
Resource Type:  INIT
  Resource ID:  148
Resource Size:  1080
Search String:  ADE9 343C 000A 4EFA FFF2 4A78    (hexadecimal)
String Offset:  96

If you have entered this definition and have renamed the Trojan to run after
SAM, then SAM Intercept will also notify you when this INIT is run at startup
time.

Paul Cozza
SAM Author

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 06:47:38 PDT
From: JMUELLER%PPL.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: System 7.0 tidbit

At an Intro To A/UX 2.0 & System 7.0 Seminar given June 6 by Michael Simone
>From Apple Information Systems (I think) here at Princeton Plasma Physics
Lab, one of the viewgraphs portrayed the ramp-down of System 6.## and the
ramp-up of System 7.0 by the end of 1991. I asked if this meant the standard
machine configuration from Apple will have 2 meg, or will a gutted System 7
be made for 1 meg machines. He replied that there is no intention to make
a System 7.0 Lite to work on 1 meggers or less.
The version of Sys7 shown (it had the Special menu title replaced by San Jose)
had a double-clickable System file (!). The System opened as a folder with
three folders inside, one of which was the Fonts folder into which you dropped
your bitmap or Royal...er...TrueType font files (each size of bitmap fonts were
separate files: New York 9, New York 10, New York 12...). Michael asked for a
consensus as to wether the double-clickable System was confusing (as it was the
only double-clickable system-type file) or would we perfer the font folder
reside in the System FOLDER instead. The general opinion seemed to favor the
consistant System Folder residence for fonts & such. I unfortunately cannot
recall what the other two folders in the System were.
The Control Panel was a Folder in which individual Control Panels were put.
These act like CDEVs except each opens to its own window. He showed us the
Labels panel which co-exists with the Colors menu in the Finder. Each Color
can have its own text label attached, which then can be Found or sorted on.
So you can, say, Find all files with Rev. Date after 6-2-90, select them,
change Label to To Be Backed Up. Later you can drag them to your backup device.
In the Text format views of a folder (by date, name, size, label, etc) folders
with contents have a little symbol to the left of the folder SICN. double-clickaing (oops, bad typing) on this symbol opens the folder HEIRARCACLY in the same
window, tabbed a bit to the right. You can keep doing this to nested folders
till you run out of window. Double-clicking on the symbol (now grey) collapses
the heirarchy. Sort of like More's outline format. This drew a sincere round
of applause from the audience.
Oh, another Control Panel was the Finder Panel which performed all the functionsof Layout.
Phew, did I ramble or what? Considering I just wanted to send in the timetable
info... oh well. Verbal diaharea is like that. Alright, since it came out of
my fingers, it must be Digital. Boo. Hiss.
Alas, such is the life of a brain-burned Fusion Engineer.
As ever:
Jim Mueller
Alias
JMUELLER@PPC.MFEnet                     via MFEnet
JMUELLER%PPC.MFEnet@ccc.NERSC.GOV  or
JMUELLER@USC.PPPL.GOV  via Internet
JMUELLER%PPC.MFEnet@LBL.Bitnet          via Bitnet
oh buggers, my tabs are messed up.
********************************************************************************The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are headed for the Stars!
appropriated from Nancy Leibovitz, anarchist Button Tychoon.
================================================================================From Princeton Plasma Physics Lab where fusion is a way of life.
Portions of the preceeding may be garbled due to low memory errors: mine.

End of Info-Mac Digest