Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/11/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 10 Jun 90       Volume 8 : Issue 114

Today's Topics:

      [*] BardMake.hqx
      [*] BCDEd102.hqx
      [*] CMarker
      [*] Colony editor
      [*] Core! -- a new Core War simulator and development system
      [*] giffer106.hqx
      [*] INIT Tracker 1.0
      [*] MMEd11.hqx
      [*] Quinta 0.6
      [*] UIIBoost.hqx
      [*] Unix Shell Archive for Mac?
      [*] WizEd.hqx
      another thot on copyrighted sounds/pix...
      Disk needs minor repairs/disk too full to record changes
      Games
      HP 7470A
      Itos conversion
      Need 3270 emulation
      NOS/VE II
      Repairing MacPlus
      REQUEST FOR INFO: Storage Technologies Corp. Mac-compat. Printer
      Request information about CL/1.
      Scheduling programs
      System 7 Pricing
      TCP software for MAC
      Think C 4.0.1 & StartupScreen question....
      Three into two won't go
      X Windows and TCP/IP on the Macintosh

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu, 10 May 90 16:14:53 -0700
From: jdee030@ucsci.ucsc.edu (Mike Wilson)
Subject: [*] BardMake.hqx

This is a Bard's Tale character editor.  you can do .anything. with it, but
it's a demo so you need to send some guy money before you can do .anything.
with it.  Isn't that cute? You can't make universal spellcasting and some other
minor thing unless you pay, but it's helpful.

-jq

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/bards-tale-editor.hqx; 56K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 May 90 16:12:50 -0700
From: jdee030@ucsci.ucsc.edu (Mike Wilson)
Subject: [*] BCDEd102.hqx

This is the Beyond Dark Castle editor version 1.02, --> stuffit, --> hqx.
You can change .anything. on bcd, so you can face the black knight (or whatever
he's called) right off! He's a synch to kill, anyhow.  Just kinda difficult
to get to him.

I didn't write this! I mearly found it.
-jq

[Archived as /info-mac/game/beyond-dark-castle-editor-102.hqx; 29K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 90 22:41:08 (GMT)
From: Sak Wathanasin <sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk>
Subject: [*] CMarker

I am posting the attached for a friend. It's a neat hack that
gives the Think C (4.0.x) editor a "mark" facility. It provides
a menu of all the procedures and methods in your src files. Selecting
an item in the menu causes the editor to jump to the start of that
routine. You can also define your own place marks.

When you unstuff the file, you will find an installer application.
Run it, and tell the installer where your copy of TC is (backup first!).
Click on "Help" for full details.

Shareware. If you like it, write to Symantec and tell them to include
it in the next version of Think C.

I was a beta-tester, but have no other connections with the product.

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

uucp:	...!ukc!nan!sw
other:	sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk
phone:  (+44) 203 419996
telex:  9312130355 (SW G)
snail:  178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/think-c-marker.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 May 90 16:20:21 -0700
From: jdee030@ucsci.ucsc.edu (Mike Wilson)
Subject: [*] Colony editor

This is the much-asked for Colony editor.  I used to have the maps for this
but they really sucked (were hard to follow) anyhow.  If you REALLY want them,
you can beg somebody who actually still uses GEnie to download the maps; that;s
where I got them in the first place.  This program rips!

[Archived as /info-mac/game/colony-editor.hqx; 14K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri Jun 08 11:13:48 1990
From: microsoft!jonn@uunet.uu.net
Subject: [*] Core! -- a new Core War simulator and development system

Announcing Core!, a Core War Development System for the Macintosh!
Core! runs on any Mac with 512K RAM or more, and features:

-- 1-4 fighters execute simultaneously
-- variable coresize from 2 to 16384
-- supports these standards: ICWS '86, ICWS '88, and ICWS '88 + SGT
-- optional Core War extensions: Address Range and Descendant Count
-- graphic Mac interface provides complete view of core
-- "hot" text windows echo graphic view of core
-- debugger includes step, step-step, tracing facility, and three
	kinds of breakpoints
-- automatic round-robin tournament mode
-- multiwindowed editor for fighter programs
-- color on color Macs
-- MultiFinder support
-- complete manual and description of the Core War standard(s)

-- comes with over 50 fighter programs including all entries in the
	1987 and 1988 ICWS contests.

Core! is a ShareWare program with a $14 registration fee.  Feel free to
download Core! and try it out, or send $17 (includes 800K disk, shipping
and handling) to:

Jon Newman
One Microsoft Way 1/2
Redmond, WA  98052

(note: Core! is not a Microsoft product)

Enjoy!

Jon Newman
jonn@microsoft.com

[Archived as /info-mac/game/core.hqx; 192K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 90 18:40:51 PDT
From: gbrown@tybalt.caltech.edu (Glenn C. Brown)
Subject: [*] giffer106.hqx

Several people have asked for copies of the latest version of Giffer.  (1.06)

So here is giffer106.hqx, a Stuffed and BinHexed copy of Giffer 1.06

I cannot recall a single instance where Giffer 1.06 has crashed, but
when I used Giffer 1.03, I was plagued by crashes.  This in itself
should make the update worthy of the info-mac archives.

For those who don't know what Giffer is:  it is an excellent color GIF file
decoder.  GIF files are a standard file format that allows graphic images
with up to 256 colors to be easily transfered between different types of
computers (Macs, IBMs, Suns, Apple //'s, and just about any other
computer with graphic capabilities.)

Giffer will open and display PICTs, PCT0s, GIFf and TEXT files (assuming
the text file is in the Graphical Interchange Format (GIF)).  Giffer
will also save files in PICT or GIFf format.

In many peoples opinions, this is the best GIF decoder for the Macintosh.

Enjoy!

--Glenn

[Archived as /info-mac/art/gif/giffer-106.hqx; 74K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 90 12:45:19 PDT
From: aron@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts)
Subject: [*] INIT Tracker 1.0

  This is INIT Tracker 1.0, an INIT which produces a "snapshot" of
all of your active INITs, useful for tracking down INIT conflicts
and debugging INITs.

  When placed in your System Folder, INIT Tracker creates a text file
at startup time which provides the following information for each
of your active INIT, cdev, and RDEV files:

  Name, file type and creator, disk size, System and BufPtr RAM reserved,
patches to Toolbox traps, changes to low memory globals, and installation
of drivers and VBL, Shutdown Manager, and Time Manager tasks (including
their starting hex addresses in memory).  It also reports on the total
RAM requirements for all of your INITs.

  Written by Andrew Welch.  Shareware ($10).  The StuffIt archive includes
a standalone documentation file.

Aron Roberts  Workstation Support Services . 219 Evans Hall
              University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
              aron@garnet.berkeley.edu . ucbvax!garnet!aron
              aron@ucbgarne.bitnet . (415) 642-5974

[Archived as /info-mac/init/init-tracker.hqx; 62K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 May 90 16:21:48 -0700
From: jdee030@ucsci.ucsc.edu (Mike Wilson)
Subject: [*] MMEd11.hqx

Might and Magic editor v1.1 -- the name sez it all.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/might-and-magic-editor.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 90 10:19:47 -0500
From: Eric Wayne Sink <ews00461@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: [*] Quinta 0.6

This archive contains Quinta 0.6, which fixes a number of
problems with the previous version.  Quinta is an object
oriented programming language for the Macintosh.  Included
here is the interpreter and the documentation as well as
some example programs.  The README file explains the
contents of the distribution but neglects to point out
that the freely distributable version does not have the
low level class support for the Quinta compiler.  Quinta
is shareware $ 20, as described in the README file.

Eric W Sink
e-sink@uiuc.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/quinta-06.hqx; 152K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 May 90 16:22:21 -0700
From: jdee030@ucsci.ucsc.edu (Mike Wilson)
Subject: [*] UIIBoost.hqx

Ultima II editor

[Archived as /info-mac/game/ultima-ii-editor.hqx; 49K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 May 90 23:38:28 (GMT)
From: Sak Wathanasin <sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk>
Subject: [*] Unix Shell Archive for Mac?

Tom Prusa <TPRUSA@ccvm.sunysb.edu> asks:

 > I have several (text) files that need to be processed via
 > a "shell archive" utility.  I believe this is some Unix
 > utility...
 >
 > Does anyone know of a Macintosh program that will process
 > these files?

Amanda Walker posted an "unshar" MPW tool a while back. I
converted it to a standalone application, and attach it
below together with srcs. It was compiled under Think C 4.0.
You will also need the TransSkel package (available from
sumex) if you want to rebuild it.

Best regards
Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

uucp:	...!ukc!nan!sw
other:	sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk
phone:  (+44) 203 419996
telex:  9312130355 (SW G)
snail:  178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

[Archived as /info-mac/util/unshar-2.hqx; 55K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 May 90 16:23:01 -0700
From: jdee030@ucsci.ucsc.edu (Mike Wilson)
Subject: [*] WizEd.hqx

This is like two files.  One is a map editor, the other a character editor,
for Wizardry.

-jq

[Archived as /info-mac/game/wizardry-editor.hqx; 49K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 12:28:06 CDT
From: hyde@ngstl1.csc.ti.com (Clint Hyde 343-7709 Strong Typing is for people with Weak Memories!)
Subject: another thot on copyrighted sounds/pix...

$10 to 'fractal' purcell.

it turns out that things that have been shown on broadcast television are not
subject to the same view of copyright as things that have not. so if those
sounds were recorded from tv broadcasts, I suspect they are OK as they stand.
there have been one or more decisions on this as regarded movies being taped
>From tv and then something-or-othered after that, which was deemed NOT a
copyright violation because it had been broadcast...

or course, that's not true of the pix. hmm...what about the Escher stuff? they
can't be any less copyrighted just because he's dead...the pix aren't old
enough to be totally out of copyright.

not being a lawyer, or overly interested in hunting down the specifics, I don't
know the details, but simply remember reading about it.

 -- clint

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jun 90 14:09:09 CDT
From: C277839%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Disk needs minor repairs/disk too full to record changes

Hi netters,
First my setup: I have a SE with 2.5 megs, an internal 20 meg HD, and an
60 meg external partitioned into two volumes of equal size. I run many
inits but have them worked out so that I rarely crash.

The problem: A few days after using DiskExpress (v 1.06) to degfragment
All my drives, When I launch an application it get the Disk is too full
to record folder changes. Upon quiting I get Disk "Ernie" needs minor
repair. I click OK and the disk icon appears after a short time. When I
open the window, word docs and font/da suitcases appear generic.
Close window, open window. Everything has the right icon.
Thinking back DiskExpress did tell me that the directory on the external
drive (Ernie & Bert) was (were) damaged, but I thought that in the process
of optimizing the disk DiskExpress would fix that.
I backed up and reformatted the disk about a month ago because it was acting
flakey, thinking that that would take care of it, but it seems I was wrong.
So unless someone has some other suggestions, I am back to the old question,
which I have read but don't remember, of how to fix a trashed directory.
I have checked with everything I have to find any bad bits but there don't
seem to be any.
BTW, when I boot off the internal drive everything seems fine.
I am running system 6.0.3.

Respond to me and I summerize. Thanks much.

Ian K. Sights-Since 1958
c277839@umcvmb
c277839@umcvmb.missouri.edu

Failure is only the opportunity to
begin again more intelligently.-- Henry Ford

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jun 90 18:11:41 -0400
From: michelle@expo.lcs.mit.edu (Michelle Leger)
Subject: Games

I looked in the /info-mac/game, but I could not find a chess game.
Does anyone have one or know of a good one?

Michelle
MIT X Consortium

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 13:17:11 -0400
From: moy@itd.nrl.navy.mil (Gene Moy)
Subject: HP 7470A

I recently come into custody of an HP 7470A plotter and wanted to
try and connect it to a Mac.  MacDraw II comes with a series of
plotter drivers, but not one for this model.  I've tried some other
HP plotter drivers, but that has not worked.  Has anyone had experience with
this plotter on a Mac.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 17:17 N
From: <ANTONIAD%FRILL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Itos conversion

            ------------------------
            ---- ITOS -> Word 4 ----
            ------------------------
  ITOS is a VAX word processor which was produced by CIG-INTERSYS,
a company which disappeared in 1989. In many aspects ITOS is
similar to WPS-plus, the word processor now supported by D.E.C.

  The Institut Laue Langevin (Grenoble-France) had the problem
of conversion of a large number of files produced with ITOS to one of
the word processors available on Macintosh.

  A program has been developped by Diademe Ingenierie which converts
ITDCMT.xxx files from ITOS to the Microsoft Word 4.0 format. It
already saves Fonts/ Styles/ Rules/ Justifications/ etc.., with
excellent results. It will soon support multi-columning and tables.
  Up to now, the main unsolved problem is that of mathematical formulas
typed with the help of "rule A" of ITOS (multi-line typing). In that
later case, the final result may be poor for the following
reasons :
  - ITOS uses spaces rather than tabs to position characters
(non-proportional fonts) within the various lines on which a formula
extends. Some special characters (e.g. sum or integral signs) are
made of the combination of characters located on several adjacent lines.
  - most Macintosh fonts are proportional (e.g. 'Symbol' (Mac) is
proportional while 'Greek' (ITOS) is not) and the best printing
quality is generally obtained with formulas treated as graphical
objets by specific tools (e.g. Expressionist).
Rather than an extra development expense to deal with that specific
case, the Institut Laue Langevin, has preferred the manual re-typing
of formulas in a Macintosh clean way.

For more details contact :
      Jean de Combret
      Diademe Ingenierie
      26 ave de Constantine
      F-38100 Grenoble, France
      Tel: (33) 76.33.38.26 Fax: (33) 76.33.03.54
      E-mail Earn(BitNet) : FILHOL@FRILL

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 14:42:29 EDT
From: rmccask@gwusun.gwu.edu (Randy McCaskill)
Subject: Need 3270 emulation

I have found myself in need of a 3270 emulator.  Does such a thing
exist for the Macintosh.
					Thanks,
					-Randy

Randy McCaskill				Computer Science
rmccask@seas.gwu.edu			George Washington University

------------------------------

Date: 06 JUN 90 18:36:47
From: COSC006%unlcdc2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: NOS/VE II

I am very grateful for all the replies to my previous question... unfortunatel,
I *still* can't get it to work right. I probably should have went into detail
of my setup.  I am trying to download normal binhex files from the Cyber to my
mac.  The nature of my problem is that Zterm keeps giving me errors like
"Sector Header 00" or "Sector Header 88", etc when using YMOS.  I usually try
to YMOS FN=(file1 file2) FT=T, and that's when I get the errors.  A couple o  u
you noted that I had to have my end of line setup as CRLF, so I put that in
my prolog (and typed it in before I tried my transfers).  Actually, this is
exactly what happened:

/ymos fn=(_checkhqx) ft=t
NSVYMDMProtocolrfer-Verio.0
                           erretoefile(toicro.

The above is correct, weird garble and all.  I do recall at one time that
appearing normally on two lines, I think the version was 2.0.  Here's something
else.  I am running VE version 1.4, but I got a message from a guy saying he
was running 2.6!  The computer folks are supposed to install 1.5.1 this week.
Are they living in the dark ages or something?

2.  Someone sent me a copy of DDExpand, but it wasn't thru the mail, but it
was in a new directory called NTF_Data_Files or something.  The filename
specifies DDExpand_HQX is a binhex file that should be a text file, but I can't
EDIF or COPF it, I presume that means that it is not a text file?  How can I
change it into a normal text file that I can mess with?  I have toyed around
with SETFA and CHAFA, but I don't know what I'm doing.

3.  When I compile a pascal file, how can I make it executable?  I can
  PASCAL I=file B=objectName, but I can't just type objectName like I want,
 so I still have to use LGO.

4. Is there a way I can add my name to my mail address?  I have seen
   siegel@harvard.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel).  How can I make my name appear
   in parentheses like that?

Thanks again, Mike.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 22:51 EDT
From: <JRHIND%UTOROISE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Repairing MacPlus

Someone asked in the Digest #112 how to repair a MacPlus with screen problems.
Reference was made to a resistor.  I would also like to know which resistor is
to be replaced and any other tidbits that others with repair experience would
care to share.  I will be happy to summarize responses for the digest if there
is sufficient interest.

**     Jack Rhind     **    jrhind@utoroise    **    Toronto, Ontario    ******

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jun 90 16:44:18 GMT
From: venus.tamu.edu!t1f4387@cs.utexas.edu (Farlow, T. Michael)
Subject: REQUEST FOR INFO: Storage Technologies Corp. Mac-compat. Printer

Howdy Netters...

A need has arisen for a Mac-compatible printer that has a better capacity than
Apple's NT and NTX printers.  A representative has approached us saying that
one the models made by Storage Technologies Corporation will be the one for us
(the exact model was not specified to me at this time.).  I would like to get
some background information on this printer if any of you have one.  Also, if
you have a suggestion for a different printer I would appreciate it.  Please
include contact and pricing information.

	Setup:	30 Mac (Plus/SE/IIx mix) in a student access lab
		AppleShare File/Print server on a SE w/4meg
			(Plans in works to upgrade this with a '020 board)
		Average output/day:  2500~3500 (more at the end of semesters)

Basically, we need a printer that can handle a load up to 3500 pages a day.
I forget what Apple has rated their printer(s) at but I seem to remember
300,000 to 500,000 pages as the rated life (or is that when you should service
it?)  We have had our LaserWriter IINT at least 20 months and have put nearly a
million pages thru it.  But I don't know for sure because every so often the
chip that remembers the name and page count zaps itself, causing the name to be
set to the default and the page count to zero (has anyone else seen this???).

If any of you in the academic world or any other high-volume Mac printing have
any ideas, please e-mail them to me and I will post a summary.

Thanks In Advance,

Michael Farlow
Texas A&M University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 12:59 N
From: <INGUILOD%CNEDCU51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Request information about CL/1.

I just read an article written in october 89, describing the CL/1 package.
I know it will be integrated in system 7.0 but it is possible to get it now...
Has anyone already working with CL/1 who is able to give me more precise
information, please send me a summary of your experiences.
I am interested in particular in the speed of accessing the data in a
host-database system, and all the facilities that are provided.
Thank's in advance.
Joel Guillod
Email: inguilod@cnedcu51.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 10:55 MDT
From: JBPowlesland%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Scheduling programs

I have located a sport scheduling program for the PC.  It is called
Sport Scheduler (version 1.17) and costs $19.95 (Cdn) for educational
institutions or $44.95 (Cdn) for all others.  To obtain a copy, contact
          Dr. Larry Katz
          Computerized Sport Systems Group
          Physical Eduction
          University of Calgary
          Calgary, Alberta
          T2N 1N4

UNCAMULT
          Telephone: (403) 220-3418

I am still looking for a Macintosh program however.

Jim Powlesland Graduate Students' Association University of Calgary
Calgary, Alberta T2N 1N4

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jun 90 10:58:31 EDT
From: Chris Khoury <3XMQGAA%CMUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System 7 Pricing

      I sure hope that Apple isn't going to charge anything for the upgrade to
System 7. Anyone know about whether they are or aren't? chuq@apple.com??

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jun 90 13:46:00 CDT
From: "Janice Wolf" <asnjiw01@asncen.asn.net>
Subject: TCP software for MAC

I am interested in obtaining MAC software to allow communications between
MACs and the Internet.  AppleTalk is connected to Internet via a Kinetics
Fastpath unit.  We need a full TCP/IP suite to include Telnet, FTP client
and server, POP server, LPR, etc.  We would like to get public domain
software preferably.  If that is not available, commercial software would
be purchased.  I am also interested in your experiences using MACs on the
Internet.

We have NCSAs version but does not include FTP client, POP client, or LPR.

Thanks in advance.

Janice Wolf (205) 895-7424  Alabama Supercomputer Center

------------------------------

Date: 07 JUN 90 10:12:49 CST
From: Z4610891 <Z4610891%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Think C 4.0.1 & StartupScreen question....

Greetings,

    I am new to programming in C and am wondering how to go about creating
an ABOUT for an Application.  I know it must be something easy that I am
just missing.  Oh yes, pertaining to Think C 4.0, what books would any of
you who do program in Think recommend that I purchase to learn more about
C and the Macintosh environment?

On another subject, does anyone know of a way to take a scaned color
picture on a Mac II and make it into a Startup Screen?  Thanks in
advance for any help on these questions.

Anthony F Gaudiano <Z4610891@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Jun 90 14:48:52 CDT
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Three into two won't go

I have three devices which I want to hook up to two ports: AppleTalk to
my printer port, a DeskWriter to my modem port (I want a local, not a
networked, DW) and a direct mainframe connection to my modem port. I seem
to recall reading a while ago about a device that attaches to the modem
port on one side and makes 2 (or more?) similar ports available on the
other, between which one can switch without restarting the computer.
Does anyone have any idea what this might have been, where it can be
found and how much it costs?

Graeme Forbes
PL0BALF at TCSVM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 11:08:32 EDT
From: Bob Stewart <stewart@xyplex.com>
Subject: X Windows and TCP/IP on the Macintosh

Dear Generous Suppliers of Free Advice,

I'm using NCSA Telnet on my Macintosh to talk to a Unix system so I can
communicate with the world.  It's connected through AppleTalk to a Gator Box.
I'd like to have a more direct connection for mail, FTP, etc., as well as
X Windows access.

We're looking into White Pine Software's eXodus, which implements X Windows
over a communication base such as Alisa Systems' TSS for DECnet or Apple's
MacTCP for the Internet.  I'd like to hear from people who've tried that or
who know anything interesting about it.  If I have MacTCP, can I run FTP,
Telnet, eXodus, and such just as if I was on a Real :-) System?  If so, can
they all run at once?  White Pine tells me that eXodus/MacTCP and NCSA Telnet
are mutually exclusive.  If anyone from Apple or White Pine cares to respond,
I won't consider it as a commercial message.

Thanks in advance for the help.

	Bob

Bob Stewart (rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com)
Xyplex, Boxborough, Massachusetts