Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/15/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 14 Jun 90       Volume 8 : Issue 117

Today's Topics:

      [*] Finder Sounds 1.2.1
      [*] GIFmovie1.0
      [*] Klingon Font
      [*] MPW Hex Tool
      [*] Summary of advice on HST modems
      Hiding the Menu Bar (again?)
      Info-Mac Digest V8
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #112
      LOOKING for UN BINHEX for VAX
      NEC CDR35 -- Intersect CD-ROM Drive
      Protect your Master Disks!!
      Questions
      Science Education Software
      SE Modem Solution
      System software on apple.com
      Telnet with FTP
      Terminal Emulation
      text/hex editor
      TURBO PASCAL PROBLEM...
      Two questions:  Sound, and Recovery programs.
      Wingz bug...

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 15 May 90 16:13 EDT
From: Greg Smith <SMITH@coral.bucknell.edu>
Subject: [*] Finder Sounds 1.2.1

Since the Macintosh System Software version 6.0.4 came out, the Finder
has had the undocumented ability to play sounds corresponding to
various events.  Such events include opening and closing windows,
creating and deleting files, and even modifying windows.  All you
really need to take advantage of this feature is a piece of code. Drag
Finder Sounds and Finder Sounds Config to your system folder and
reboot.  You will then have a sonic Finder!

This is version 1.2.1 of the package.  There are no new features in
version 1.2.1.  This is a bug fix release to remove the annoying tendency
to request that an ejected disk be re-inserted whenever an event on that
disk causes a sound (click on or drag over icon).  New features in version
1.2 included support for a sound that will play continuously while you are
dragging an icon on the desktop.  Another new feature is the ability to
change the pitch of a sound to reflect the current position of the
thumb within the scroll bar.  Sounds will also vary in pitch for mouse
down actions on an icon, as well as when you are dragging icons across
folders or changing the size of your window.  A major new feature is
the ability to customize and hear your sounds from the control panel.
There will be more information about that feature and other changes in
the documentation. Please send any bug reports to one of the addresses
below.

Finder Sounds is FreeWare.  You are encouraged to redistribute this
package to your heart's content, but you must include the document,
Finder Sounds and Finder Sounds Config in any redistribution.  You are
also not allowed to charge any money for the Finder Sounds package.
While Finder Sounds is FreeWare, it is not public domain, and I retain
the copyright.  You must be running System 6.0.4 or 6.0.5 to use the
Finder Sounds package.  Enjoy!

+----------------------------+------------------------------------+
| Gregory J. Smith           | Internet: smith@bucknell.edu       |
| Systems Analyst/Postmaster |           smith@coral.bucknell.edu |
| Bucknell Computer Services | BITNET:   smith@bucknell.bitnet    |
| Bucknell University        |           smith@bknlvms.bitnet     |
| Lewisburg, PA  17837       | AT&Tnet:  (717) 524-1801           |
+----------------------------+------------------------------------+

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/program/finder-sounds-121.hqx; 208K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 May 90 19:44:01 PDT
From: ir221%sdcc6@ucsd.edu (Tsukada)
Subject: [*] GIFmovie1.0

(c) 1990 by H.Tsukada (ir221@sdcc6.ucsd.edu)

How to use it?

Put your GIF pictures and GIFmovie1.0 into a same folder.
Click on GIFmovie1.0 and all the GIF pictures you want to watch.
When you are ready, double click on them.

[Archived as /info-mac/art/gif/gif-movie.hqx; 88K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 May 90 12:48:32 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Klingon Font

Recently someone asked for a Klingon font.  A friend had sent me one more
than a year ago, in 24- and 48-point sizes.  The spacing was horribly
disfigured, making it impossible to print.  I corrected the spacing and
added a 12-point size, and so renamed it Klingon 1.1.  Enclosed below is
the BinHexed StuffIt!ed font and a note by me (as editor and concerned
xenolinguist) for the archives.

Michael Everson

[Archived as /info-mac/font/klingon.hqx; 19K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 May 90 08:43:23 +0100
From: Paul T Russell <paulr%syma.sussex.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk>
Subject: [*] MPW Hex Tool

Here is 'Hex', an MPW Tool for converting Macintosh resources to
Intel hex or Motorola 'S' records. Below is a copy of the README
file in text form, followed by a BINHEX'd StuffIt'd archive of
the tool and its source files.

Hex
---

'Hex' is an MPW tool which will convert a given Macintosh resource
into a form suitable for downloading to an EPROM programmer,
emulator or any other target which supports one of the common
ASCII hex formats. It was developed in order to allow the Macintosh
to be used for cross-development for embedded 680x0 applications.
It has been used succesfully to convert and download target software
developed in both THINK C and MPW assembler.

No formal documentation is provided, but 'Hex' supports the MPW
'Commando' interface, and a fuller description of the command
and its parameters is given at the head of the source file 'Hex.p'.

This software is being made freely available for anyone to use,
on the understanding that it may only be given away in its
original unmodified form. It may not be sold or otherwise
distributed for commercial profit. If you modify the sources,
please do not re-distribute them in their modified form.

If you have any problems with 'Hex', or any comments or suggestions,
then feel free to contact the author using one or more of the
following methods:

Commercial
----------

	Paul Russell
	ARC Electronics
	14 Terminus Street
	Brighton BN1 3PE
	ENGLAND

	Tel:	+44 273 207739
	Fax:	+44 273 822106

Academic
--------

	Paul Russell
	Dept Experimental Psychology
	University of Sussex
	Falmer
	Brighton BN1 9QG
	ENGLAND

	Tel:	+44 273 606755 x3706

	Janet:	paulr@uk.ac.sussex.{epvax|syma}
	Nsfnet: paulr@{epvax|syma}.sussex.ac.uk
	Bitnet: paulr%sussex.{epvax|syma}@ukacrl.bitnet
	Usenet: ...ukc!{epvax|syma}!paulr

Paul Russell, 6th May 1990

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/mpw-hex-tool.hqx; 38K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 90 18:40:53 PDT
From: psz@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (Peter Szolovits)
Subject: [*] Summary of advice on HST modems

Several days ago, I asked for help figuring out how to run my US Robotics
Courier HST modem more efficiently for communication between my home Mac and a
Unix box at the office (via a networked terminal concentrator).  The summary
results are short:

1.  Use zmodem rather than kermit, to avoid various delays in kermit
handshaking (even with 1000-byte packets).  info-mac/comm/zterm-085.hqx
contains a shareware communication program that supports zmodem, and I was also
pointed to the latest White Knight and MicroPhone, both commercial products.
At the Unix end, you need an implementation of zmodem, which is available in
info-mac/unix/zmodem-part*.hqx.  (I had to get rid of a couple of spurious
newlines in the Makefile to get it to make.)  The ZTerm/zmodem combination does
indeed give me about 93% of theoretical max line utilization on large text
files at 9600 baud.  I've had a bit of trouble uploading MacBinary II files,
though not consistently.  For straight text dump, ZTerm can't keep up with
scrolling at 9600 baud, so the buffer overruns and you lose captured data on a
long file without flow control.  Zmodem transfer seems to work fine without
flow control; I guess putting characters on the screen is what's much slower
than capturing to a file, even having to do CRC checks and all.

2.  Going from 9600 baud to 19,200 baud is highly "non-trivial", and although
everyone thinks it can be done, I'm not sure if any of the respondents have
actually done it routinely in ways that I could duplicate.  First of all, flow
control is essential because the computers have license to send bits faster
than the line can deliver them if compression fails to achieve 50%.  ^S/^Q
(XON/XOFF) flow control is relatively easy to set up, but then interferes with
the ability to send the full ASCII character set (worst, for me, is that it
conflicts with Emacs ^S).  The HST modems also support hardware flow control
via the RTS/CTS lines, but the normal Mac/modem cable does not connect these.
Apparently the Mac only has one set of handshake lines, so the cable has to be
custom-made to connect those to RTS/CTS at the modem; then you lose DTR and
whatever the other line is now used for (CD or RI? for auto-answer?).  Second,
many dial-ups are not set up for different computer/modem and modem/line data
rates, so they only allow 9600 baud.  This can be fixed by politely asking (or
bludgeoning) a system administrator, I'm told.  Third, you have to play with
the communication parameters of whatever the modem is hooked to at the other
end from your Mac.  This means either stty in Unix or the command language of
your concentrator box.  Great mysteries abound here, though these too are, in
principle, solvable.

Attached is the text of my correspondence with several VERY helpful people,
whom I would like to thank: Marek Lugowski, Dave Platt, Michael Hoffhines,
Charles E. Bess, Warren Burton, Christopher Owens, Chris Eliot, Thomas Wu
Dave Bursik, and Veljko Roskar, in chronological order.

--Peter Szolovits

[Archived as /info-mac/tips/high-speed-modem-use.hqx; 48K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 90 09:07:51 -0400
From: perez@itd.nrl.navy.mil (Manuel A. Perez)
Subject: Hiding the Menu Bar (again?)

Several issues ago I posted some code on how to hide the menu bar.
While this practice is forbidden by Apple,  sometimes it might be
necessary to use it.  The code used is very small and simple.

Brian D. McMahon posted a follow-up message saying:

>       SetRectRgn(fullScreen, 0, 0, 512, 342); /* for small screen Macs */
>
> NO!! NO!! NO!! NO!!  This is EXACTLY the sort of thing that has caused so
> many NEEDLESS compatibility problems!  Do NOT hard-code screen sizes!
> There's no need to, and it's just plain WRONG.  ...

Glenn C. Brown also posted a message saying:

> Unless Manuel is writing a commercial program, I see nothing wrong
> with hard-coded values...

In my own defense:

1) The purpose of the fragment of code posted was to show how to
hide the menu bar.  The screen size was not the issue here.

2) The numbers used in the sample code CLEARLY included a C
comment (/* for small screen Macs */) indicating that 512 x 342
was intended for small screen Macs.

3) Last, but not least,  the code I posted IS NOT the code we
used in our project.  Like I said, the purpose was to show how
to hide the menubar.  Mr. Brown's comment about commerical quality
software is correct. In our application (a soon to be released
commercial game),  the game area is 512 x 342 pixels.  If the machine
in use has only a 9" screen (i.e. Mac Plus/SE), then we hide the
menu bar (like Hypercard) and use the full screen for the game.

If the machine is MacII or higher, then we just open a window with
size 512 x 342 and the menu bar is not modified. This is designed
to work off the main GDevice.

As you can imagine, the code to do these checks is very extensive,
since you have to check for machine types,  availability of features
(Color QD, System 6.0.5, etc.) and appropriate (i.e. friendly)
handling of errors.  There is no need for me to post this whole
thing here.

Lets not get carried away in what is discussed here.  I think
Mr. McMahon message would have been taken in a better note if he
would have sent it directly to me, and if he would have avoided
saying things like:

> ... (anyone who tries to program the Mac without investing in a copy
> of IM is making a mistake, IMHO).

I have a copy of Iniside Mac VI.  Do you?

Manuel A. Perez
Computer Scientist
Human Computer Interaction Lab
Naval Research Laboratory,  Washington DC
perez@itd.nrl.navy.mil

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 90 10:06:47 EDT
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1114" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8

   I recently purchased a MagicTape 60 bacup unit with the Retrospect
software.  It works great!  Any volume mounted on the desktop can be
backed up.  Like Peter Jorgensen, we used it with Tops, and it worked
well.  We have also tried it with SingleShare (located in the sumex
archives), which is a shareware way  to make any disk available over
the network.  When we recently restored some AppleShare folders, the
access privelages were maintined.

Bret Ingerman
Microcomputer COnsultant
Syracuse University
ingerman@suvm.acs.syr.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 90 10:38:04 -0500
From: chrisj@emx.utexas.edu (Chris Johnson)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #112

Gary,

The moderator of info-mac relayed your recent posting about a problem
you encountered in Gatekeeper Aid to me.

The problem is a known bug in Gatekeeper Aid *1.0*.  Please get a copy of
version 1.0.1 -- it should be available through info-mac, or I can
email it to you, if that's more convenient.  I hope I don't sound like
a jerk, but *please* remember to note the version numbers of the items
involved in any problem report.  There aren't a lot of people who'd be
able to tell that you were using 1.0 from your report.

Anyway, the source of the problem was some terribly inaccurate documentation
of the OpenResFile() function in Inside Mac vol. 1.  Unfortunately, none of
my testers encountered the problem during the testing of 1.0, so the bug
slipped out and wasn't caught until 1.0 was released into the real world.
One week after releasing 1.0, I released 1.0.1 which corrected this major
bug and cleaned-up a couple of lesser issues.  Version 1.0.2 is currently
in beta testing - it will clean-up a couple more of those lesser issues.

Thanks (indirectly) for the problem report, :-)
----Chris (Johnson)
----Author of Gatekeeper
----chrisj@emx.utexas.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 90 20:53 CDT
From: Greeting from the Far Country <DELANEYG%WP31.WNRE.AECL.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: LOOKING for UN BINHEX for VAX

I once saw a program which would unBINHEX files on a VAX.  If anyone knows
of such a program will they please contact me.

Thanks

Grant Delaney
delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 90 01:26 CDT
From: <BPB9204%TAMSTAR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: NEC CDR35 -- Intersect CD-ROM Drive

I remember a ways back someone asked about the CDR35.  I just got mine
today and so far it works great for audio CD's.  I'm trying the actual
CDROMs tomorrow.  I bought it on "blind faith".  I figured if it didn't
work, I'd send it back.
  The unit is platinum colored and fairly compact.  The actual drive is
the same size as Sony's Diskman(Imagine a square around a CD).  The unit
is definitely portable, but ...
     a) if you want to take the drive by itself,  you'll need an
        electrical outlet handy(also a 10.5v transformer).
   OR
     b) You can buy the available battery pack, but then you have to take
       the base along also.  The base adds about 2.5" to the back of the
       drive.
It does meet the requirements of being portable -- compact and light.
 I think it weighs in at two pounds(without battery pack).

Controls:  automatic CDROM use(I'll find out and update people).
       Audio -- Play/Pause, <<, >>, Repeat(for entire disk).

It doesn't have: clock/elapsed time, Scan features(just goto next track)
            or playback programmability.

Overall, I think it's a good unit.  What it lacks is not really important
 anyway.
I forgot -- it has a plug for Line Out, Headphones, and a variable Vol. dial.

 Richard S. Holmes, I hope this helps...

I bought mine from MacWarehouse.  It was back-ordered but I got it in about
 a week.  MacWarehouse charges $3 shipping.
 The CDR35 is now $339 + $3 =  $342--definitely a good price for CD-ROM.
Here are the actual Specs off the owner's manual:
data capacity:         540megs
total # of blocks:     270k block/disc
user data blocks:      2048 bytes/block
data Tx speed:         150k bytes/sec (continuous)
Seek time:              1.5 sec average
Hard error rate:       < 10~-12 (after error correcting)
Audio:
sampling freq:             44.1kHz
Quantifying bit number     16 bit linear
# of channels:              2
Dimensions(with base):   14.9 x 6.6 x 22.4 cm == 5-7/8 x 2-9/16 x 8-25/32 in.
Weight:                   0.9 kg

It comes with DB-25/Centronics 2' cable.  It has only one centronics port
  on the base which means it has to be at the end of the scsi chain.

Hope this helps, Richard!

Brent Burton
BPB9204@TAMSTAR.BITNET
Texas A&M University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 90 11:49:58 -0400
From: jensen@itd.nrl.navy.mil (Larry Jensen)
Subject: Protect your Master Disks!!

With the current messages about anonymity, the personalizing of programs,
and the inadvertent writing on MASTER Disks, I am surprised that no one
has suggested to the digest group that EVERYONE do as I do when I buy a
new program.  ESPECIALLY those that I get here at work where there are
persons that are not at all careful about the integrity of a Master Disk.

That is:
1. I try to INSURE that I get the unopened box when it comes in.
(If not me, at least someone I trust and is as paranoid about
Master Disk integrity as I am.)
2. I immediately open the box and grab out the Master Disk(s).
(My experience has been that EVERY manufacture ships their disks
with the shutter closed - NOT write protected!)
3. CAREFULLY using a razor or small knife, I pry open the corner
of the disk case where the shutter is (usually I have to partially
slit the label) only far enough to get the shutter out.
4. Remove the shutter - not too easy, but with a little practice
you can do it - and toss it into the trash!!!

The Master Disk is now protected from those annoying goof-ups (and
goof-offs). You can now try the program, copy it to your hard disk, etc.
When the program wants to write something to the Master Disk
(for example - Adobe Illustrator) I make a copy using CopyII Mac
and let that disk get written on. I can then trash it, or keep it
as my "working backup".
With viruses, etc. around this is the only way I am 100% sure
that the Master Disks do not get corrupted in ANY WAY!

The CARDINAL RULE for Master Disks is you NEVER, BUT NEVER, allow
ANYTHING to be written on them!!!!
This includes updating the desktop!! In fact, you should NEVER
put a Master Disk into a computer when it is not write protected!
(Remember the WDEF virus!)

I hope that this is of benefit to the group.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 90 15:30:19 EDT
From: Kathy DuBose <DUBOSE%AKRONVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Questions

Hello, I have a couple of questions.

1) When we attempt to copy downloadable Adobe Font Drivers,
   (FrankGotBoo for example) to our hard-disk it takes 5-7 minutes.
   Our hardisk is the server for our network and it runs Appleshare
   network software.  However if we bring the server down and do the
   same copy it works in seconds.  Any suggestions as to why it takes
   so long to copy when the network is up and running?

2) We want to purchase a limited number of copies of a software package, for
   example 10 to run on our appleshare network of 30 macintoshes.
   Is there any way to limit the number of users at any given time?
   Perhaps a Hypercard stack or something of the kind?

Please feel free to contact me directly:  DUBOSE@AKRONVM

Thanks,

Kathy DuBose

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 90 13:37:43 EDT
From: Mark Edward Toomey <MTOOMEY%UGA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Science Education Software

Greetings,

  Does anyone know of science-oriented educational software (shareware or
public domain) for the Mac? I have a friend who's just been given a Mac
SE to use for junior high & high school summer school but has been given
no software! (and doubts she will be able to acquire funds for any in the
near future) Please respond to me direct & if the responses are numerous
I'll be glad to summarize for the list. Thanks.

Mark

Mark Edward Toomey                     Disclaimer: I only speak for
Computer Services Specialist                       myself, although
College of Home Economics                          sometimes I wonder
University of Georgia                              even about that!

BITNET: MTOOMEY@UGA
Internet: mtoomey@uga.cc.uga.edu
Voice: 404-542-4864 or 404-542-4651
FAX:   404-542-4862

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 90 09:25:06 EDT
From: Bruce Abernethy <bda@uengr.calvin.edu>
Subject: SE Modem Solution

	If you own an SE or an SE/30 and are looking for a modem, let me tell
you about one that I just purchased.  I have been using the PROMETHEUS
PROMODEM 2400SE Plus for about a week now and I am very pleased, for 3 reasons.

	1) the 2400SE Plus is INTERNAL so I don't loose portability {
	   - it uses the floppy drive controller for power
           - it uses the internal speaker via a jumper for sound
	   - it comes with a "Status Lights" DA to simulate common LEDs
           - it comes with a CDEV to switch between the modem and any other
             serial device which uses the modem port (you don't loose a port)
   	2) it is fast and reliable, Hayes compat.
	   - it uses MNP-5 for error correction and data compression
             I get a virtual 32-3800 baud to our mainframe with MNP-5 also
     	3) it is less expensive than similar modems
           - there is no case, no LEDs, no speaker, no power supply, less cost
           - comes bundled with MAcKNOWLEDGE software to get you going.
           - for <$250 you are ready to go to your mainframe TTY, VT100, . . .
             GEnie, CompuServe, America Online, or another Macintosh

	Just so you don't think I am simply advertising (I don't work for them),
a couple of flames.

	1) the manual never explains how to enable A-Lead switching.
	2) the instructions are aimed at people who are experienced SE openers{
           so you are better off having your dealer install it.
	3) MAcKNOWLEDGE does not support KERMIT or Z-MODEM which are my favorite

	Any detailed questions can be sent to me and I will try to answer them.

Opinions expressed here are mine and not those of my employer . . . .

Bruce Abernethy <bda@uengr.calvin.edu>{
Calvin College Computer Center Hot{line
Grand Rapids, MI

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 90  07:44:55 MST
From: "Ben Goren, Trumpet Performance major" <AUBXG%ASUACAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: System software on apple.com

From: Ben Goren, Trumpet Performance major
                 President, KN chapter Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia,
                 Owner, SINFONIA (ListServ list)

Bill,

Perhaps this is one that should go to the digest.

I've searched high and low, but I can't find the system software on Apple's
ftp server, apple.com. The closest I've come is /pub/dts/mac/sys.soft, but the
only things in that directory are descriptions of different versions of the
system software. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, there are several files on this and other servers which don't have
filetypes (filename.filetype). The version of ftp I'm running doesn't like
that, and insists that I must have both the name and type for all foreign
files. Any way around this?

Ben Goren                                        T _ T       /:
 Internet: AUBXG@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU        }=----+-+-+--===<{ :
 BITNet (PROFS): AUBXG AT ASUACAD             (==|-|)|===)   ^:
 Telex: 6504178398 Ans: 6504178398MCI UW       "-+-+-+--"

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jun 90 08:29:00 GMT-9:00
From: "Lewis Overton" <snalo@acad3.fai.alaska.edu>
Subject: Telnet with FTP

Janice Wolf asked about NCSA telnet with FTP client.  There is a modification
to telnet from BYU (Brigham Young University) which adds FTP connection
option to the software.  I didn't do the retrieval on it, so I'm not
too sure of exactly how to fetch it.  This mod is available via
anonymous FTP, however.  If you can't find out the address, send me
a query directly to SNALO@acad3.fai.alaska.edu or to SNALO@alaska.bitnet
and I'll look around here some more.  We are using this version.
  Lewy

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 90 12:39:15 EST
From: SCSLAB3%CARLETON.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Terminal Emulation

Hi all,
I have a problem.  I have had the need to use a system called TABS
(Total Aviation Briefing System).  Unfortunately this system uses the
Telidon graphics package to display weather and other related charts.
Is there anyone who knows of an emulator which would allow me to make
use of the TELIDON graphics system on a MAC SE??

Any help is appreciated.  Thanx  Dave Venance (Carleton University)

Please send replies to SCSLAB3@CARLETON.CA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 90 15:20:49 CDT
From: hyde@ngstl1.csc.ti.com (Clint Hyde 343-7709 Strong Typing is for people with Weak Memories!)
Subject: text/hex editor

I want to find an editor which will allow editing as text and viewing as hex
at the same time.

does anyone know of such a program?

 -- clint

------------------------------

Date: 12 JUN 90 22:57:26 CST
From: Z4610891 <Z4610891%SFAUSTIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: TURBO PASCAL PROBLEM...

Greetings,

I need to know how to retrieve numeric data from edit fields during
user interface, and transform the data into integer format for further
calculations.  If anyone has an example, it would be appreciative.
I also need to be able to add numeric data back into static text fields.
Oh yes, I do have the Inside Macintosh volumes 1-5 books for reference
I am also handy with ResEdit.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Anthony F Gaudiano <Z4610891@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 90 10:32:02 GMT-0500
From: williams@oyster.smcm.edu (Bill Williams)
Subject: Two questions:  Sound, and Recovery programs.

1:  Anybody know how to play sounds (any format - I've got soundmover and all
that stuff) from a program?  I have a Lightspeed Pascal program that's sup-
posed to be used by a person looking through a microscope, and it'd be nice
to have some of the "messages" replaced by sounds.

2:  What are people's favorite disk recovery programs?  I've been using an
old version of MacTools for quite some time, and I'm getting very tired of
going through seven hundred "RECOVERED FILE 367" files and fixing up their
names, creators, and file types.  Surely there is some program that'll read
through a broken directory and pick up that which is not broken and associate
it with the appropriate files?  Interestingly, I find that I use such a pro-
gram much more frequently with floppies than with the hard disk, so perfor-
mance isn't much of an issue (anyway, it takes days, literally, to fix up all
the "RECOVERED FILES" from MacTools).

	As usual, all help will be appreciated.  Can't offer much more than
a cheery "Thank You," but I guarantee that!

			-W2

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 90 18:53:58 -0700
From: KAYLAN_AL%DPRC01.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com
Subject: Wingz bug...

I just found out that Informix has released a patch that resolves the memory
problems that Wingz has with system 6.0.5.  The fix is not an update, but
rather a patch.  Inforfix has agreed to FedEx it to me **no charge**.  To date,
I have not seen anything in the press mentioning any problem that Wingz has
with 6.0.5.  I am forwarding this message to info-mac hoping that this would
save others the many hours I spent monkeying around with inits, reinstalling
system, checking my new memory chips, testing the hard drive etc...

Since only a small percentage of the "permanent" crashes (not the
"..unexpectedly quit" variety) occured while using Wingz, I had a difficult
time attributing the problems I was having to Wingz.  However, when Wingz is
launched under 6.0.5, I believe it damages the memory contents even if it does
not crash. The computer would continue running only to crash in another
application later on. I woke up when I realized that memory related crashes
were not isolated to my mainstream machine (a Mac II with Jasmine 140HD, 70ms 4
megs in Bank A, and 120ms 4 megs in bank B).  I could repeat crashes just by
repeatedly launching and quitting Wingz with a 200k file on my IIci (totally
different set-up and platform with FastCache, Quantum 105, 8 megs 70ms mem)
After 2-3 (sometimes 5-6) launches,the IIci would bomb out with the ***hardware
malfunction tone***.  My best guess is since cumulative launches result in a
crash, there must be some damage made to the memory contents, or to the heap.

Ali Kaylan

My internet addresses are:

kaylan_al%dprc01.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com
dprc01::kaylan_al@hac2gm.dnet.hac.com