Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (06/29/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 28 Jun 90       Volume 8 : Issue 126

Today's Topics:

      [*] harmony-fun.hqx
      [*] hqx-separator-21.hqx
      [*] music-fun2.hqx
      back to Ed de Moel
      Fax-Modem review
      HELP !!!
      Mac Graphics Commentary
      Oztex once again
      PICT --> HPGL?
      Serious graphs !
      Super Studio Session sounds
      The Great Fastback Controversy

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sun, 27 May 90 11:04:39 EDT
From: William Ermey <WMERMEY@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: [*] harmony-fun.hqx

THIS IS THE DEMO VERSION OF HARMONY FUN 1.0, AN INTERACTIVE LEARNING
ENVIRONMENT BY BROWN UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR WILLIAM ERMEY, TO HELP MASTER
SPELLING AND IDENTIFICATION OF TRIADS AND SEVENTH CHORDS AND THEIR
INVERSIONS, AND DIATONIC AND CHROMATIC CHORD FUNCTIONS INCLUDING SEC-
ONDARY DOMINANTS AND DIMINISHED SEVENTH CHORDS, BORROWED CHORDS,
NEAPOLITAN AND AUGMENTED SIXTH CHORDS.  QUESTIONS MAY BE ANSWERED FROM
THE TYPEWRITER KEYBOARD, OR BY ENTERING THE CORRECT NOTE ON A GRAPHIC
PIANO KEYBOARD (OR, IN THE FULL VERSION, ON A MIDI SYNTHESIZER) OR BY
ENTERING THE CORRECT NOTE ON THE STAFF USING THE MOUSE.  THE PROGRAM
RECOGNIZES TRADITIONAL FIGURED-BASS ANALYSIS SYMBOLS AS WELL AS POPULAR
MUSIC CHORD SYMBOLS.  IT CAN BE SETUP IN FOUR DIFFERENT CLEFS, AND CAN
BE CONFIGURED TO WATCH THE USERS RESPONSES AND BASE ITS QUESTIONS ON
PREVIOUS ERRORS.  IN ADDITION, ALL QUESTIONS MAY BE ANSWERED BASED ON
AURAL SKILL TO AID IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF EAR TRAINING ABILITY.

REQUIRES 128K ROMS, SYSTEM 6.X, STUFFIT, AND MS WORD4 FOR READING
DOCUMENTATION.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/harmony-fun.hqx; 248K]

------------------------------

Date: 26 MAY 90 17:02:09
From: COSC006%unlcdc2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] hqx-separator-21.hqx

 ********************
 * HQX Separator II *
 ********************

This little utility will split a large text file full of binhexes into separate
files so you can unBinhex them.  The file transfer protocols don't work right
on my host, so I have to resort to ascii dumping files onto my comm program's
Start Capture command.  This way, I can "batch" download a bunch of files at a
time into one large text file and split them later.  Anyway, if you are in the
same position I am, this program is what you want.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/hqx-separator.hqx; 8K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 May 90 11:02:48 EDT
From: William Ermey <WMERMEY@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: [*] music-fun2.hqx

THIS IS THE DEMO VERSION OF MUSIC FUN 2.0, AN INTERACTIVE LEARNING
ENVIRONMENT BY BROWN UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR WILLIAM ERMEY, TO HELP MASTER
SPELLING AND IDENTIFICATION OF NOTE NAMES, ENHARMONIC EQUIVALENTS, MAJOR
AND MINOR KEY SIGNATURES AND THEIR RELATIONSHIPS, SCALE FORMS (MAJOR AND
THREE MINOR FORMS, CHURCH MODES, WHOLETONE AND PENTATONIC), INTERVALS
AND THEIR INVERSIONS, AND TRIADS.  QUESTIONS MAY BE ANSWERED FROM THE
TYPEWRITER KEYBOARD, OR BY ENTERING THE CORRECT NOTE ON A GRAPHIC PIANO
KEYBOARD (OR, IN THE FULL VERSION, ON A MIDI SYNTHESIZER) OR BY ENTERING
THE CORRECT NOTE ON THE STAFF USING THE MOUSE POINTER.  THE PROGRAM
CAN BE SET UP IN FOUR DIFFERENT CLEFS, AND CAN BE CONFIGURED TO
WATCH THE USERS RESPONSES AND BASE ITS QUESTIONS ON PREVIOUS ERRORS.
IN ADDITION, ALL QUESTIONS MAY BE ANSWERED BASED ON AURAL SKILL TO
AID IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF EAR TRAINING ABILITY.

REQUIRES 128K ROMS, SYSTEM 6.X, STUFFIT, AND MS WORD4 FOR READING
DOCUMENTATION.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/music-fun-20.hqx; 248K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 20:34:45 EST
From: U90_MALAM@vaxb.stevens-tech.edu (Mehboob Alam)
Subject: back to Ed de Moel

Long reply to Ed de Moel (has some very useful information, though)

> From: Ed de Moel <DEMOEL@ruunda.fys.ruu.nl>
> Subject: HELP !!!

> Almost a month ago, I asked a simple question.
> So far, I got no answer.

This is the first time I saw your message. I can't see it as a
question, but more of a long diatribe of what constitutes a REAL
computer. Most of us using Macintoshes have made our own decisions
and have long since tuned out to whines coming from any direction.
The purpose of this mail-list to help out other users with answers.

> Now: I'm a serious programmer and a serious user of computers.
> I've been using computers since several decennia!
> The MacIntosh is a pretty new computer and I enjoy playing with it.

We are serious people too, and have long since stopped playing 'guess
how I work' with other computers and started doing serious
work with a Macintosh. I'm surprised at the number of people who
voluntarily start using a Mac and then start bitching about
limitations, only to find out they don't exist.

> BUT: I'm a SERIOUS user, and I'm not just fooling around with
> toys. I want to include REAL graphs in my texts, not the mock-ups
> I made by hand using a toy like SuperPaint or MacDraw, but a real
> graph that was produced by a real program. Such graphs are
> produced in accordance to standards that were established more
> than 10 years ago. For 'screens', that is TEKTRONIX, for 'pen and
> paper', that is HPGL.

Few users in their right mind would use the above programs to do
graphs, when there are programs designed to graph data.

Cricket Graph is still on the market and is a favorite for doing
scientific graphs. Cricket Software has now been bought by CA
Software, and all Cricket applications are currently undergoing
massive upgrades - or so they said more than 6 months ago. Under
these circumstances though, I wouldn't recommend it.

The new choice is IGOR - which is as powerful as any I have seen
elsewhere. It incorporates a basic spreadsheet for entering data and
a powerful script language for doing data-transforms. You can even
write your own custom functions in C and incorporate it into IGOR's
language. Has built-in layout functions for publications quality
graphs and takes full advantage of PostScript and the Laserwriter.
IGOR is published and developed by WaveMetrics in Oregon. They can be
reached at (503) 635-8849. IGOR does not handle pie charts, it is
purely a scientific tool and a smashing one at that!!!

Lest I be accused of favoritism (I have direct experience with IGOR)
there is also KaleidaGraph from Synergy Software (215) 779-0522. It
has to capability for most scientific and business graphs and can
handle datasets of 32,000 points per variable. It automatically
updates the graphs to reflect any changes in the data.

> Now, if Apple wants to use their proprietary formats internally,
> that's up to them. BUT I AM A SERIOUS USER. I WANT STANDARDS!.

Standards serve to retard progress and are usually based on old
outdated technology. The Macintosh is optimized to present graphics in an
interactive manner, hence the proprietary formats. The STANDARDS are
designed for display only devices and do not take into account the
interactive nature and power modern personal computing.

> As long as I am not able to include a serious graph in a serious
> paper, the MacIntosh is a useless toy. The children may play with
> it, but the money needs to be earned somehwere in real green
> paper.

If graphs is what you wanted, you should have phrased your question
accordingly. The above paragraph would automatically turn off REAL
people who have REAL work to do and are not interested in listening
to uninformed people with gripes.

> If WordPerfect on the @#%%@@ PC is able to give me what serious
> people need, and the MacIntosh is only fit to play games, that
> that's what it is. Mind you, I'm SERIOUS now. I like the user
> interface that Apple offers me a GOOGOL over the horrid user
> interface that the PC forces me to. BUT THE PC IS SOMETHING THAT
> LINKS ME UP TO THE REAL WORLD.

The PC offers a subset of the potential of the real world. I'm
surprised that you did not move right back into the PC world. Since
over 5 million of us bought the Macintosh just to play games, what a
serious waste of money and time. Especially since some of that time
is spent in designing parts of the space station, the next generation
solar-powered car, repairing the space shuttle, and designing
supercomputers.

> I've asked my question a month ago, and I'll repeat it now:
> CAN THE MACINTOSH IN ANY WAY DEAL WITH INTERNATIONALLY
> STANDARDIZED GRAPHS, or it really just a toy???

Ahhhh. Finally a sane question in bold letters. The polite answer to
that is yes. Unfortunately there are many standards in the world, and
you did not specify which.

HPGL - There are two products available, but I can't get my hands on
them right now. Will try to update this note in the future. If it's
printing you're interested in there are at least three independant
plotter drivers to interface the Macintosh to HP and HI plotters, and
every major CAD package ships with their own customized plotter
drivers.

Tek1040 - VersaTerm Pro is a terminal emulator that displays full
Tek1040 type graphics for you to copy and paste into any
word-processor or publishing program. VersaTerm is published by
Synergy Software at (215) 779-0522.

SIXEL - White Pine Software makes a bi-directional SIXEL to PICT
(Macintosh format) translator. DEC will also release a translator in
their LanWORKs connectivity package.

CGM - 'PICTure This' from FGM Inc. (703) 478-9881 can handle the
following formats - PC: Targa-16, CGM, Dr. Halo CUT, Gem IMG, Lotus
PIC and PCX. Also SUN Raster images, Amiga IFF and RIFF, GIF,
Compuserver RLE, X11 bitmaps. The Macintosh target format for all
these is the PICT2 format.

PCX, PIC, TIFF - DataViz Corp. makes a translator set called
MacLink/Plus that supports a bunch of word-procesing, spreadsheet,
database and graphic formats between the PC and Macintosh. The
graphic translators include PCX (PC-PaintBrush), PIC (Lotus 1-2-3),
TIFF (various scanners etc.) and the Macintosh formats PICT and
PICT2. They have also released special links to the SUN SparcStation
that includes (I think) CGM translators and any other format that is
specific to the SUN environment. There is also a special version that
will like the Macintosh to the NeXT computer.

DXF, IGES - Claris Corp. who is the publisher/developer of some of
the best Macintosh software, also makes a translator for their Claris
CAD package that can translate IGES and DXF files to PICT and CCAD
formats in both directions.

Targa - Target published by Abra (303) 820-2272 converts Targa images
>From the PC to Macintosh PICT2 format.

> I will accept only serious answers, because this a really serious
> question!

Now, let me tell about standards, since you have only been using
standards that were formed more than 20 years ago. The Macintosh
wasn't designed to propogate those functionaly obsolete standards and
the computers they were designed for. The Macintosh has now
established itself as a modern standard for usability and
interaction. On its way it has also helped establish PostScript as
the standard for high-quality printing. And appealing to your
programmer side, the Macintosh has helped establish object-oriented
programming and design as a modern standard for software design and
implementation.

> Ed de Moel.

> Physically:            Electronically:           Hybrid:
> University of Utrecht  BITNET:  demoel@hutruu51  Phone: +31 (30) 532239
> Princetonplein 5       DIALCOM: 12428:PGA005
> PO BOX 80000
> 3508 TA  Utrecht
> The Netherlands

In the future, please phrase your questions intelligently and
politely, without the immature posturing about SERIOUS and REAL
world. And you will receive the informative and intelligent answers.

And PLEASE, welcome to the real world... I also hope you have a lot
of that REAL green bills to satisfy your needs...

Mehboob Alam				MD_MALAM@SITVXC
(Student, Computer Science)		MD_MALAM@VAXC.STEVENS-TECH.EDU
P.O. Box S-32 Castle Point Station
Stevens Institute of Technology
Hoboken, N.J. 07030
------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 14:09 EDT
From: KEARNS@huhepl
Subject: Fax-Modem review

Netters,

A few weeks ago I solicited information on Fax-modems. I only got two
replies... (thank you). I have since purchased a Prometheus 2400 Baud
Fax Modem and "helped" my friend get a Zoom Telephonics 2400 baud Fax
Modem. I have noticed new solicitations for information popping up, so
I'll summarize my impressions now. These are just my opinions, I don't
have any ties with either company. I haven't taken the time to do an
exhaustive review.

Prometheus ProModem: $209 from several mail-order houses in
     MacWeek/World/User. It comes with Fax and general communication
     software and cable.
     -The Fax software (BackFax) works as a printer driver (use Chooser)
     so you can Fax anything you can print. Because Fax resolution is
     300 dpi, you can get very high quality output by having bit mapped
     fonts 3x larger than your 72 dpi screen font. They provide several:
     Courier, Symbol, TmsRmn and Helv in 9-72 point size. I don't know why
     they don't provide "Times" rather than "TmsRmn"... the 12 point font
     looks identical but I assume that to get the high quality scaling you
     need the same name for the 12 point screen font and the 36 point font.
     REQUEST: DOES ANYONE HAVE 27-30-36-42 pt Times and Helvetica?
     -Faxes can be immediately sent in the background; the spooling is handled
     by an INIT.
     -They provide a management program that stores rasterized files and
     lets you retransmit them, delete them etc. It uses an In Drawer -
     Out Drawer metaphor. This program also lets you set up various parameters,
     manage an Fax address book including distribution lists, select a
     cover page etc.
     -The communications software is MacKnowledge. It did not impress me.
     For terminal emulation, it just did not act intuitively in a few cases.
     It seems to have good a good scripting language if you're in to that.
     -The Prometheus rep told me on the phone that an upgrade to send/recieve
     Fax capability is available.

Zoom Telephonics ZoomModem: $129 + $12 for cable if needed. It comes
     with a communications program that is also used to send Faxes.
     -The Fax software (QuickLink I) is a stand-alone communications program
     with a menu command for sending Faxes. So you save your word processor
     output and then send it. This isn't so bad for light duty, but here's
     the catch: you can only send files saved as TEXT (or TIFF or PICT or
     MacPaint). That is... you lose font/style information... everything
     comes out 12pt Geneva (if I recall correctly).

I have tried running the Zoom Quicklink software on the Promodem... no dice...
it dials and then fails to transmit. I haven't tried running the Promodem
BackFax Software on the Zoom Modem.

Fortunately, my friend who got the Zoom modem was mostly interested in an
inexpensive 2400 baud modem. The Fax capability was going to be a bonus.
I seems to work fine as a modem and sending Faxes (within its very limited
scope). The Promodem also works well as a modem and the Fax capabilities
seem very broad. I haven't really tried to push it yet. In both cases the
output is very clean; this is no doubt due to the lack of a scanning stage
as in paper fed faxes. In particular, the high resolution available by having
3x fonts gives you laserwriter quality output at the receiving end. I can
recommend the Promodem as a fax-modem. I can also recommend the Zoom modem
as an inexpensive modem but you should be aware that its fax capabilities are
limited.

                                      Best wishes,
                                      Ed Kearns

KEARNS@HUHEPL.HARVARD.EDU (Internet)  Harvard U. High Energy Physics Lab
KEARNS@HUHEPL             (Bitnet)

P.S. My two replies:
In my opinion, you might as well go for
a send/receive fax modem, if you want fax capablility at all.  The
InterFax 48/96 is a 4800 buad modem and 9600 baud fax machine.  And
the mail order price is reasonable.  Personaly, I've had bad luck with
Promethus modems.  I bought a 1200 baus modem from them in 1985, and
it died 3 1/2 years later.  The cost of fixing it is $75.  YOu can buy a
new 1200 baud for that today.  If fax ability isn't that important, you
cannot beat the Practical Peripheral's 2400.  5 year's of protection and
it's under $200.  Well, that's my two cents worth on modems.
(Scott 'Brez' Bresnahan)
I send/receive maybe one fax a week on average and have an Abaton 48/12
InterFax.  It works great (except for a minor bug when printing some received
Faxes to the LaserWriter IINT in the office.  Good software with receive in
the background (without having the control program launched.  Since Faxes
tend to have poor quality scanners as their
Achilles heel, people call me up to whom I've sent a Fax and ask "WHAT did
you send that fax on - It's the best I've ever seen!"  The newer InterFax
is faster, but more expensive; unless you're sending to Fiji regularly or
send a lot, it's probably more important to have the speed for the data
part of the modem, which works flawlessly.
Only a satisfied customer,
John Livesey

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 20:20:37 PDT
From: palmer%gap.caltech.edu@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer)
Subject: HELP !!!

Use 'Versaterm PRO' or some other terminal program that emulates
a TEK 4014 to receive the graph.  Cut it from the graphics window
and paste it wherever you want.

--
		David Palmer
		palmer@gap.cco.caltech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90  00:02:53 MDT
From: EPETERS%CSUGREEN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Mac Graphics Commentary

Hello Fellow Netters:

I wrote the missive below after reading Ed de Moel's first message,
but before reading his second.  I decided to send it anyway, because
it contains some information that I hope will help him (and others,
too).  I'm _NOT_ trying to be mean, Ed.  Really.  OW!  LEGGO!

------------------------- START OF TIRADE --------------------------

I would like to echo the sentiments expressed by Christopher Anderson
regarding comments made by Ed de Moel regarding graphics on the Mac.

Anyone with any experience at all in the presentation of data should
have realized by now that there is no such beast as a 'standardized
graph', nor should there be.  How data are best presented depends on
the data and the information that data is to convey to the viewer.
(which will in turn depend on the intended audience).  Learning what
constitutes a good graphic does not have to be the result of extensive
training in the graphic arts:  anyone who has read a few papers or
attended a few seminars has seen for themselves what works and what
doesn't.  The fact is, if I see another 'standardized' graph (which
appears to comprise one that includes hideous and illegible color
combinations, and/or text too small to be read), I may hurl.

In my department, we have a professor who insists on such standards,
to the point of specifying the font size and myriad other minutiae
for all graphs issuing from his laboratory.  His post-doc (who is
a Mac fanatic) is able to meet these criteria, albeit by crippling
the prowess of his programs to reduce them to the least common
denominator produced by his boss' MS-DOS clunker.  Although this
stifles creativity, at least the Mac lets him get it over with more
quickly.

In addition to having great good taste as shown by his association
with the University of Georgia, Chris makes another excellent point.
Ed, baby, can we talk?  If you are using SUPERPAINT to generate your
graphics, no WONDER you're so cranky!   ;~).  There are LOADS of
excellent and inexpensive graphics programs that will generate
almost any type of graph you could ever want.  In addition to
CricketGraph, I recommend the more flexible (and powerful)
KaleidaGraph, which has strong data filtering capabilities.  I can
also recommend DeltaGraph for its low price, 3-D graphics, color,
and its ability to import graphics created in other programs in a
variety of formats.  For more complicated modelling and curve fitting,
I can also recommend Passage II and Igor.  Using these packages, I
only rarely need to resort to exporting output to _object oriented_
graphics programs (FreeHand is my favorite) for touch-ups.

In closing, let me say that I am a scientist, not a graphic artist,
although I do generate a large number of graphics for co-workers to
supplement my meager grad student income (snivel).  Nevertheless, I
and others using slides made by me have won several prizes in various
student paper competitions.  Many of these were plain ol' white on
blue slides photographed from LaserWriter output.

--------------------------- END OF TIRADE ----------------------------

I am glad that Ed received suggestions on products that might make his
aim of integrating more of what he needs to do on a single platform a
little easier.  If he can now induce his programs to output their results
in ASCII, I think he will find the above recommended programs to be
worthwhile (even if he needs to write one little conversion utility).
I stand my recommendation of the above-mentioned programs:  they will
allow you to create graphics beyond your wildest dreams, and even embed
them in your manuscripts!

* Eric L. Peters                             BBS/DATA:           223-0229 *
* Dept. of Radiology and Radiation Biology   GEnie:             E.PETERS2 *
* Colorado State University                  America Online:         Eryx *
* Fort Collins, CO 80523                     BITNET:     EPETERS@CSUGREEN *
* Voice: (303) 491-5343  FAX: 491-0623       INTERNET:           EPETERS@ *
*              226-3610                        CSUGREEN.UCC.COLOSTATE.EDU *

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 11:09:34 +1000
From: rad@arp.anu.oz.au
Subject: Oztex once again

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Could someone email me the location of an ftp site for Oztex?

I know of three sites:

	tank.uchicago.edu
	giza.cis.ohio-state.edu
	ss01.pppl.gov

I got what I needed from the first of these, but had to rename one
of the PK-files folders (from 329 to 328) and the format file (from
latex.tex to LaTeX.tex) to make everything work smoothly. All of
the stuff is in .sit.hqx form except for the fonts, which are binary
.sit files in the directory OzTeX/binary. The directory OzTeX is in
pub/sources.

Robin Davies.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 16:41:03 -0700
From: cckweiss@castor.ucdavis.edu
Subject: PICT --> HPGL?

Someone recently recommended a product to convert HPGL plotter commands
into a PICT format Mac file. My problem is the opposite. I'd like to create
PICT or EPS or PostScript files and convert them into HPGL commands for
output on the antiquated film recorder available here. They just won't
spring for a Forte with PostScript RIP.

I've seen one product that does this conversion, but only at screen resolution.
I'm looking for something better than that, even if I have to see all my
fonts converted into that angular plotter stuff.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ken Weiss
cckweiss@castor.ucdavis.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 1990 19:10:02 PDT
From: Sundar_Prasad@mtsg.ubc.ca (Sundar)
Subject: Serious graphs !

In digest V8 #124, Ed de Moel writes:

>than 10 years ago. For 'screens', that is TEKTRONIX, for 'pen and
>paper', that is HPGL.
>Now, if Apple wants to use their proprietary formats internally,
>that's up to them. BUT I AM A SERIOUS USER. I WANT STANDARDS!.
>CAN THE MACINTOSH IN ANY WAY DEAL WITH INTERNATIONALLY
>STANDARDIZED GRAPHS, or it really just a toy???

I am not too sure if vector devices/protocols can be called 'the only
serious standard' in this day and age when raster displays (including
hardcopy) seem to be the norm across a very wide range of systems. And
raster imaging is definitely not Apple's proprietary format.

Our group is involved in (very serious) paper publication and we use the
Mac extensively for this purpose with excellent results. Most of our
graphing is done by packages like DISSPLA on platforms like the IBM 3081
mainframe, SUN and VAX workstations. However, we always render the final
form of the graph in PostScript and bring it over to the Mac. We use a
program to get the corresponding bitmap of the PostScript code using an
attached laserwriter and append it to the PostScript file. This graph is
then 'placed' in a PageMaker document for final touching up (if needed).
The bitmap just helps in proper placement of the graphic(s) on the page.
Once our document is ready, there are a wide variety of output devices to
choose from ... 2400dpi Linotronics to our own 300dpi laserwriter. And
what finally comes out on paper is first rate stuff (the graphs are
rendered in full PostScript precision). PostScript is a very good page description language (of course, there's always room for improvement), is
very well suited to the personal workstation environment and is a widely accepted standard.

In addition to this technique, there are some pretty good Mac graphing
applications available now ( a package called IGOR seems to be getting
some attention ). Note, nowhere did I mention Superpaint or MacDraw
mockups. These are real graphs from real data using real standards and
these were dealt with on the Mac. Maybe if Ed had explored some options,
he may have reached a different conclusion. I however agree with him that
the Mac is a toy, but oh what a toy !!! (and infinitely more fun to play
with than a PC).

Sundar_Prasad@mtsg.ubc.ca  <Internet>
userffa3@ubcmtsg           <Bitnet>
Civil Engineering
UBC, Vancouver V6T 1W5
CANADA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 09:40 EST
From: <DLARRICK%TUFTS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Super Studio Session sounds

Does anyone have a good pipe organ patch for Super Studio Session, or a sampled
sound of held pipe organ notes in several octaves? (For those who don't know,
one can convert the latter into the former quite easily.)  I am just about
finished entering Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor into Super Studio
Session, but it sounds kinda silly being played with the guitar patch :-/

If I am able to make this piece sound right, I will share it with the net.
Perhaps I (and others) will post other music as well.

Doug Larrick
dlarrick@tufts.bitnet

Opinion? Did anyone hear an opinion?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90   9:46 GMT
From: Big Nose <LAWA%IAPE.AFRC.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: The Great Fastback Controversy

Dear All,

I've been reading the latest exchanges in the Fastback debate with some
interest, and it reminded me that I had seen something along these lines
before. So I hunted about, and sure enough I found it. I have an INIT stored
away called SafeEject which is specifically designed to prevent the kind
of damage described. It's written by Jay Riley and dated May 24th 1989 and I
enclose the following quote from the About... file that accompanies it:-

"I have been told by John Sawyer and Chuck Meyer of CJS systems that ...
... if the read/write heads are towards the outer edge of the diskette (which
they typically are) they will every once in a while catch on the shutter door
of the diskette and tear off as it is ejecting, permanently damaging the drive."

Apparently the FDHD doesn't have the problem as it parks itself before
ejecting. However, if the FDHD parks in software, like this INIT does, then
bypassing the software to keep the drive spinning may also render the FDHD
drive susceptible.

I'm sure I got this INIT from a UK source, but I'm sure it must have come
>From the US originally. If anyone has problems locating it, then drop me a
line and I'll mail it to you.

Disclaimer:- I have never even seen a copy of Fastback, and I have never used
this INIT 'cos I have a FDHD in my SE. I therefore don't know what I'm talking
about.

Absolute disclaimer:- "READ MY LIPS. I NEVER SAID ANY OF THE ABOVE"

Cheers,

Andy Law

LAWA@UK.AC.AFRC.IAPE                              Big Nose in Edinburgh

End of Info-Mac Digest