Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (07/12/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 11 Jul 90       Volume 8 : Issue 131

Today's Topics:

      [*] 6.0.5/Kensington Turbo Mouse problems (+FIX)
      [*] Clipboard Magician 0.64
      [*] DVIM72-Mac 1.4
      [*] HP2Pict.Hqx, HP translator for Mac
      [*] HyperFTP-12.hqx
      [*] Mac-Spectrophotometer link
      [*] Rival updater for MDEF
      Alias
      Blueline blues -- Can a Postscript jock help me?
      Does Soundedit 2.0.1 fail on a IIfx?
      Ether Card Query
      File types and icons
      Freebie???
      Help with Apple Developer Info.
      HyperCard Compiler
      Laser PC3 Portable Computer
      Macintosh Org Chart Applications
      Mac Jitters
      MacPost - new easy-to-use email package for Mac
      OzTex via Bitnet: the solutions
      Reading .ZOO files
      Sound file format
      Upgrades SE --> SE/30
      Word 4.0 date fix

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: 1 Jun 90 23:42:01 GMT
From: chuq@apple.com (That's MR. Idiot to you)
Subject: [*] 6.0.5/Kensington Turbo Mouse problems (+FIX)

System Software Release 6.0.5 included a number of changes and fixes to
the ADB code. Unfortunately, these changes have caused some
compatibility problems with some ADB devices. Attached to this message
is an encoded StuffIt file that includes an INIT that fixes these
compatibility issues for the Kensington Turbo Mouse. This init should
be used on all ADB-based 6.0.5 systems except the IIfx and IIci using
Kensington turbo mice. Those two machines will not have any problems with
the trackball so it's unnecessary (but not harmful).

This is very short, so I'm posting it here rather than sending it to c.b.m
so it can go out quickly. Further distribution of this INIT is encouraged.
It is being distributed with the approval of Kensington and was co-developed
by Kensington and Apple to resolve this issue.

chuq

[Archived as /info-mac/init/turbo-mouse-605-fix.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Jun 90 13:26:17 -0700
From: Ed Lai <lai@apple.com>
Subject: [*] Clipboard Magician 0.64

For those who have used the Clipboard Magician before, it is sufficient
to say that version 0.64 is the latest version with a lot more features.

However a lot of people have never used it before. Some of the feedback
>From my last release was that my description did not sound very
interesting, but when they tried it anyway it turned out to quite a nice
little tool for them. So they think my description did not do justice to
the DA. However, it is not easy to write a description that really gives
the true favor of the DA, so what I say here may not be any better.

The central philosophy of Clipboard Magician is that software should be
implemented as independent components. Here is a collection of code
resources each implementing a single function - transforming some data.
Note that data transformation is very general paradigm since just about
any operation can be considered to be a transformation of data. Changing
a PICT to an ICON is clearly a transformation, but so is text editing, and
a screen dump. These software components can be used in a lot of
different context but here we choose to use it as a DA which acts as a
shell for these software components and they act on the data in the
clipboard. This way they can be used indirectly from any application.

/* Disclaimer: All statments and opinions expressed are my own */
/* Edmund K. Lai                                               */
/* Apple Computer, MS37-UP                                     */
/* 20525 Mariani Ave,                                          */
/* Cupertino, CA 95014                                         */
/* (408)974-6272                                               */

[Archived as /info-mac/da/clipboard-magician-064.hqx; 187K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Jun 90 16:31:48 -0400
From: Jim Walker <jwwalker@cs.scarolina.edu>
Subject: [*] DVIM72-Mac 1.4

This is version 1.4 of DVIM72-Mac, a program that allows OzTeX users to
print on Imagewriters and some other dot-matrix printers.

This replaces info-mac/app/dvim72-mac.sit .

[Archived as /info-mac/app/dvim72-mac-14.hqx; 95K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Jun 1990 11:34:49 EDT
From: GILBERTD@iubio.bio.indiana.edu   (Don Gilbert (IU BioComputing))
Subject: [*] HP2Pict.Hqx, HP translator for Mac

This is a Hypercard stack that contains an XCMD that translates
Hewlett Packard Graphics Language (HPGL) scripts into Macintosh Pictures
(PICT format).

This version translates the basic line drawing and labelling commands
of HPGL.  Many other commands (fills, objects, etc.) are not implemented.
The source code, in MPW C, is included.

 (from) Don.Gilbert@Iubio.Bio.Indiana.Edu

[Archived as /info-mac/card/hpgl-to-pict.hqx; 87K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Jun 90 12:33:43 EDT
From: dug@conlon.Stanford.EDU (Douglas Hornig)
Subject: [*] HyperFTP-12.hqx

I am submitting version 1.2 of HyperFTP to info-mac on the sumex-aim archives.

HyperFTP is a HyperCard stack that acts as an FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
client.  With it you can transfer files between your Macintosh and FTP host
computers over the TCP/IP internet.  You must have HyperCard version 1.2 or
later, and MacTCP (Apple Computer's TCP/IP drivers) installed.  MacTCP is
available for about $100 from APDA (800/282-2732).

New features in this version include on-the-fly BinHex and MacBinary
translation, faster file sending, and various cosmetic enhancements.  Many
thanks to all who sent me your excellent comments and suggestions.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/hyperftp-12.hqx; 70K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 90 12:58:05 EDT
From: "Jim Henry" <JHENRY%UTCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Mac-Spectrophotometer link

Here is a Spectrophotometer controller as was requested in
INfoMac v8 # 107.  It is written in HyperCard and uses the
serial ports to communicate to the RS-232 port on the
Spectrophotometer.  (Did you know that "RS" means *recommended
standard*.)
It uses the serial port XCMDs from Dartmouth (I think).
The stack is copywrite 1989 by me; you may use it freely and
distribute it only without charging for it.
If you have a Spectrophotometer that uses different command codes
>From what mine does, I think you can find in the script the obvious plac
to put your unique codes in.

Jim Henry
* JHENRY at UTCVM  (BITNET)     * School of Engineering              *
* (615) 755-4398 (office)       * UTC     (Univ. of Tenn. at Chatt.) *
* (615) 886-4398 (home)         * Chattanooga, Tennessee  37403      *
* (615) 755-4025 (FAX)          * U.S.A.                             *

[Archived as /info-mac/card/spectrophotometer-link.hqx; 186K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 90 13:49:48 PDT
From: bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG)
Subject: [*] Rival updater for MDEF

This is a vaccine for the Garfield/MDEF virus for updating the Rival
antiviral program distributed commercially by Microseeds.  Documentation is
included in the Stuffed archive.  Although Rival is commercial, the vaccine
files may be distributed freely, according to Microseeds.

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/rival-mdef-updater.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Jul 90 08:58:13 EDT
From: "Christopher T. Anderson" <CANDERSO%UGA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Alias

Is anyone aware of a program available which can put aliases of an application
(or document) in various folders?
Acknowledge-To: <CANDERSO@UGA>

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  5-Jul-1990 12:11:22.02 CST
From: <rcd2403%tamchem.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu> (R. C. Davis)
Subject: Blueline blues -- Can a Postscript jock help me?

Hello Macfriends,

I got an idea while I was watching a co-worker of mine editing a
blueline copy of his dissertation that he printed using our LaserWriter
IINT and blueline paper from the bookstore.  There was a little ditty
mentioned in IM Digest a while back which allowed you to have the word
"DRAFT" printed diagonally with large gray letters across you MS Word
4.0 documents.  The trick was a few Postscript commands (in hidden
character format) that you place in the header of your document.  Cute,
eh?

Well, I'm sure that it should be as easy to place a few Postscript
commands in the header that *draw the blueline margins* in light
blue (or gray) on the page.  Think of the money struggling grad
students everywhere will save by not having to buy so much costly
blueline paper!

But the bad part is I don't know beans about Postscript language.
But I'm sure there are some who can help.  Here are the blueline
specs.

        Blueline width:  0.42 mm
        Top margin:  1.00 inch
        Bottom margin:  1.00 inch
        Left margin:  1.25 inches
        Right margin:  1.00 inch

Of course, copious comments are a must so I can follow what the
commands are doing.  Please, please, PLEASE reply directly to me
(time is of the essence) -- I'll send a note to the digest
afterwards.  Thanks.

Ricardo Davis
Dept. of Chemistry                           THEnet:    CHEMVX::RCD2403
Texas A & M University                       BITnet:    RCD2403@TAMCHEM
College Station, TX  77843-3255  USA         Internet:  RCD2403@CHEMVX.TAMU.EDU
Telephone  (409) 845-0612                               (128.194.5.2)
FAX        (409) 845-4719

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Jul 90 14:54 EST
From: RX80639%INDYLLY.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Does Soundedit 2.0.1 fail on a IIfx?

In playing around with the new IIfx at work to see what breaks, I was unable to
get SoundEdit v2.0.1 to run.  It kept dropping me into the debugger with a bus
error.  Interestingly Soundwave 1.0 and Superplay 4.0 both work just fine.  Has
any other IIfx user noticed a problem with Soundedit?  Is there a newer version
out?

Environment : Mac IIfx, system 6.0.5, no inits, Macsbug 6.2a4

Thanks for any help on the problem.

Wayne Kauffman         BITNET::    RX80639@INDYLLY.com
Indianapolis IN

standard disclaimer . . .

To:   VMS MAIL ADDRESSEE            (BITNET::"INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU")

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 90 12:14:08 GMT-0500
From: williams@oyster.smcm.edu (Bill Williams)
Subject: Ether Card Query

What do people think of the various ether-net hardware AND software out there
for SE's? (<- Note:  SE's, not Mac II's)  We are going to install an ether
net here at a small college, and the net will serve mostly IBM-Comtemptibles
and NeXT's, so we Mac users are pretty much on our own to adapt, emigrate,
or become extinct.  Are there any ethernet interfaces available for Mac +'s?
How do they work?  Is there any particular kind of net software that is more
or less compatible with the various servers?  Is there a good article in
any of the user mag's that someone could refer me to (I read one in Mac-
World a few months back and it was too elementary and to unspecific.).

Any help on ether-net interfaces would be appreciated.  Also, if any of the
responders is UNwilling to be asked questions as the installation proceeds,
please so state; otherwise he/she is likely to be pestered in the future.

			-Thanks in advance,
				-W2

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 90 13:36:13 CST
From: Steve Kohlmeyer <steve@sunserver.psych.umn.edu>
Subject: File types and icons

The Net,

I have built an application (using Think C) that creates two different text
files.  I would like each kind of text file to have its own icon on the desktop.
 I have had no problem setting the finder information to get the icon for one
file.  However, I can't figure how to coordinate the finder info and the BNDL,
FREF, & #ICN resources to set separate icons for two text files.  If anyone has
information on how an application can create more than one text file-each with
its own icon I would appreciate it. Thanks.  Please reply to the following
address and I will summerize for the Net.

Steve Kohlmeyer                            phone:  (612) 626-1551
Image Understanding Laboratory             email:  steve@eye.psych.umn.edu
Department of Psychology
University of Minnesota 55455

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 90 23:38 CST
From: <NBEHR%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Freebie???

According to the latest APDAlog, MPW 3.1 costs the same as TML Pascal II,
which *includes MPW 3.1 & documentation*. Is there a catch of any kind?
I don't particularly want to switch from LSP to TML (I'd like to have MPW
primarily to use Lund Simula), but if it's really "free", then why not?
A related question: assuming one sticks with Pascal, does SADE offer any
important advantages over Think's Lightsbug?
Thanks a lot in advance.      Eric        NBEHR@ECNCDC

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 90 13:09 EDT
From: RBRINK@clemson.clemson.edu
Subject: Help with Apple Developer Info.

Would a registered "Apple Developer" willing to assist a Mac Users
Group please contact me.  I need a product that Apple will only
distrubutite to you (not APDA).  It will cost you a phone call and
a few dollars postage, which I will be happy to reimburse you for.
.............                .................
EMail                        Telephone  (machine if I'm out)
RBRINK@clemson.edu           (803)656-0127
..............               ...................
I hope to hear from someone....

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Jul 90 15:57 CST
From: <CFEJM@ecncdc.bitnet>
Subject: HyperCard Compiler

Sorry for any inconvenience due to cross-posting.

The Jan-Feb 1990 issue of SYLLABUS (the journal covering Macs in
higher education)  talks about HYPERCOMPILER and HYPERCOMPILER C
on page 23.  The article suggests a compiler which turns a stack
into a stand-alone application, with optional middle step of gen-
erating C code.

This appeals greatly, but my efforts to contact the company listed
have been unsuccessful.  The article mentions Bill Gorman, First
Echelon Software, Annandale VA, 703-641-0215.  The number is not in
service according to directory assistance, and information for
the area lists neither the company nor the individual.  Calling
the SYLLABUS office got me a nice recorded message.

So...can anyone help with information about the product (or the
person) (or the company) (or etc.?)  Please reply directly and I'll
summarize for the net.  Thanks in advance.

John Miller
Music Theory
Eastern Illinois University
BITNET:  CFEJM@ECNCDC

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 90 00:02:29 CDT
From: Greg Thompson <UD181747@vm1.nodak.edu>
Subject: Laser PC3 Portable Computer

Does anyone have experience using the Laser PC3 Portable Computer
with a Mac?  Does it work smoothly?  What is a good retail
(or mail order) source for the Mac version of the Laser PC3?

 -- Greg Thompson

University of North Dakota
INTERNET: UD181747@vm1.nodak.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 90 09:20:03 CDT
From: "James N. Bradley" <ACSH%UHUPVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Macintosh Org Chart Applications

I've been asked to see if anyone out there is cyberspace has any
positive experience with applications that generate organization
charts.

Our Division Administrator needs a package that can display different
kinds of data including classification of employee, whether that employee
is full or part-time, etc.

I've been using pagemaker and color-coding but he wants something simpler
to use that can automate the chart generation.  He claims such beasts exist
in the DOS world.

Thanks.  I'll do the summary thing if y'all e-mail to me.

Jim Bradley
University of Houston.
Acknowledge-To: <ACSH@UHUPVM1>

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  6 JUL 90 13:19:23 GMT
From: I_GILMOUR@vax.acs.open.ac.uk
Subject: Mac Jitters

I've noticed the following problem (glitch) on a Mac IIcx and IIci and
wondered if any one else had seen it, knew the cause and a fix.

It seems that, apparently randomly, my hard disk gets the jitters. It
just sits there shivering! Actually, the heads seem to move back and
forth between a couple of tracks 10s of times per second. The problem
also happens on a IIci. Both have Quantum disks one 40 meg the other 80 meg.
Anyone know if this is a hardware problem or software? Aside from being an
anoying noise, it slows disk operations considerably. I've tried removing
all inits etc. but it still occurs with complete unpredictability, sometimes
it's OK for several days at a time! Any help appreciated.

Iain Gilmour                        I_Gilmour@vax.acs.open.ac.uk
Planetry Sciences Unit
The Open University

[The jitter is designed into newer Quantum drives. It is a fix to the drive
 to, I believe, prevent the head from sticking by spreading lubrication.
 -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Jul 90 11:51:34 +0200
From: roland@macpost.lu.se
Subject: MacPost - new easy-to-use email package for Mac

MacPost 1.0b1 README (July 4, 1990)
===================================
MacPost is an electronic mail system for the Apple Macintosh. It is developed by
Lund University Computing Center as a Lund-Apple Joint Project (European
University Consortium). MacPost is available via anonymous ftp at no cost.

MacPost gives Mac users access to internet mail directly from the desktop. The
client is very easy to use, and the server should be relatively easy to setup
for anyone somewhat experienced with Macs, AppleTalk, tcp/ip, and e-mail.

The Client
----------
The client is an ordinary Macintosh application. It is used to send and receive
electronic mail. The user is automatically notified when a new mail arrives,
regardless of what application (s)he is using. Domain addresses are used. There
is a simple Address Book that allows the user to pick a name from a list, and
send the mail to the associated address. Translation between Mac-ascii and seven
bit ascii works automatically in both directions.

The Server
----------
The server runs on a dedicated Macintosh. One server can handle an entire
AppleTalk internet. The client's mail is sent to the server, and it forwards the
mail to a well-connected SMTP-server. Incoming mail is stored on the server
until the user reads it.

Communication
-------------
The protocol between client and server is AppleTalk. Thus, the clients and the
server must be in one AppleTalk internet, but it can consist of any combination
of LocalTalk, EtherTalk, TokenTalk, etc. Dial-in access is possible, if
AppleTalk is used (eg. Liaison, Shiva TeleBridge).

The protocol between the server and the well-connected SMTP-server is tcp/ip.
With "well-connected" we refer to that it must be able to interpret addresses,
and send the mail in the right direction. The server uses Apple's MacTCP
(available through APDA).

Required Equipment
------------------
Server:  dedicated Mac, 2MB RAM, hard disk, ethernet card, MacTCP
Client:  any Mac, System 6.0, AppleTalk 48
Client - Server Communication:  an AppleTalk internet network
Server - well-connected SMTP-server Communication:  tcp/ip network
Network Services:  a well-connected SMTP server

Status
------
This release is reasonably stable. We are not aware of any major bugs in it.

The user documentation is not yet available, but it should be easy for anyone to
use MacPost without the docs.

This is the first English release. We would very much appreciate your comments
about our use and misuse of the English language.

Copyright
---------
MacPost is Copyright 1988-90 Lund University Computing Center. All rights
reserved.

MacPost may not be sold or offered for sale, or bundled with another product
offered for sale, except with the express written permission of Lund University
Computing Center.

You are allowed to copy, distribute, and use this release free of charge as long
as it is not in violation of the paragraph above.

Disclaimer
----------
Lund University Computing Center gives no warranty, expressed or implied, for
the software and/or documentation provided, including, without limitation,
warranty of merchantability and warranty of fitness for a particular purpose.

Distribution
------------
MacPost is available via anonymous ftp from pollux.lu.se (130.235.132.89) in
pub/mac/comm/macpost. StuffIt is required to unpack it. Documentation is in
text-only and MacWrite 4.5.

The server applications and the server documentation are in English. The client
and the client documentation are available in both English and Swedish.

The distribution consists of several StuffIt archives. See the file FILES for
more info.

Mailing List
MacPost. To join it, send a request to
 macpost-request@ldc.lu.se (internet) OR macpostr@selund (bitnet)

To send a mail to the list, address it to
 macpost@ldc.lu.se (internet) OR macpost@selund (bitnet)

To send a mail only to the MacPost Development Team, address it to
 macpost-admin@ldc.lu.se (internet) OR macposta@selund (bitnet)

You are strongly encouraged to send all questions etc. to the mailing list (ie.
don't use macpost-admin). We also encourage you to reply to questions submitted
to the mailing list (send your reply to the list; others than the original
author may find it useful). We may not have enough time to answer questions, and
the time we have at our disposal may be better spent on bug fixes and new
features.

Support, bug reports
please check your AppleTalk, the well-connected SMTP server, etc., etc. before
you ask us!

Roland Mansson
The MacPost Development Team
Lund University Computing Center
Box 783, S-220 07 Lund, Sweden
Fax: +46-46138225
roland.mansson@ldc.lu.se

------------------------------

Date: 1990-07-06.18:13:22
From: LJOB1%BDILUC01.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: OzTex via Bitnet: the solutions

Dear fellow-netters,

I got three helpful answers on my query for OzTex.
(Many thanks to Martin Puschke, J.P.Schneiders, and someone called MAZZANTI)
1) The program (especially the font files) is so huge it requires ten disks.
   Under these circumstances, I understand that Info_mac will be reluctant
   to keep it in their archives. However, as Martin Puschke points out, some-
   one who has TeX on some mainframe may generate the fonts himself and trans-
   fer them to his Mac. The actual package isn't tha: large, and could in
   principle well be kept at Info_mac. (TO MODERATOR: what do you think of me
   sending the latter in as soon as I have it? Also, the fonts will normally
   shrink very substantially when StuffIt-ed, perhaps to one-third their ori-
   ginal size. Furthermore, most users only need a relatively small subset
   of the full TeX font library.)
2) There is a way to access FTP servers even if you can't FTP. Details can be
   received by sending a HELP message to BITFTP@PUCC. It basically involves
   sending an E-mail containing FTP commands to BITFTP@PUCC. Backlog is re-
   ported to be several days due to very heavy workload. Inquiries about the
   status of BITFTP can be made by sending "How are you?" as a message. Va-
   rious transfer formats are supported.
3) I finally received the very friendly offer from Dr. J.P.Schneiders at the
   State University of Liege (only about 80 km away) to mail the package to
   me in return for empty disks, which I just sent off.

Also thanks to the many people that replied to my FullWrite question some
months ago (I could not send out any messages at that time because of net-
work problems). Discovering that FullWrite again did not do EXACTLY what I
wanted, I followed the advice of one of them and switched to TeX, sacrificing
WYSIWIG for essentially perfect control over document formatting and - through
LaTeX - the cross-referencing capabilities I wanted.

                            Keep on Macking the free world,

                                    Jan M.L.Martin
                                    Quantum Chemistry
                                    Department SBM
                                    Limburgs Universitair Centrum
                                    Universitaire Campus
                                    B-3610 Diepenbeek,Belgium
                                    LJOB1@BDILUC01.BITNET

"I love those who long for the impossible" -- Goethe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Jul 90 10:12:28 EST
From: Michael LeBlanc <MLEBLANC%VM.UoGuelph.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Reading .ZOO files

I seem to be having a problem making sense of .zoo files.  I'll tell you
what I'm doing, and with what equipment, and maybe someone can tell me what
I'm doing wrong:
>From my CMS site I ftp a ZOO file, being careful to set the transfer to binary
mode.  Once it's on my CMS disc I kermit it down to my Mac, also ensuring that
I've "set file binary" in kermit before downloading.  Once the file is on my
Mac, I try to open the file using Macbooz 2.1, but it always reports that
it does not recognize the file header as "zoo" type.  I've tried several .zoo
files and they all are undecipherable using this technique.

Mail me your comments and I will summarize on the net.

thanks.... Michael LeBlanc

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Jul 90 16:12:00 EDT
From: Bryan Miller <bmiller@cabell.vcu.edu>
Subject: Sound file format

Can anyone tell me where I can find the file formats for any/all
of the popular Mac sound files?

Thanks,

Bryan Miller

Internet:  bmiller@cabell.vcu.edu
BITNET:  bmiller@VCURUBY

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 90 11:52:00 EDT
From: George <ST701640@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Upgrades SE --> SE/30

I know there must have been hundreds of talks on this topic either in magazines
or in discussions in this forum, but I want a "personal viewpoint" from people
who bought such items.
     What I want is to upgrade my SE to a SE/30.  I bought one of the older
models of the SE, so it doesn't come with the 1.44 Mb floppy.  I really don't
care about upgrading that though.  All I want is to upgrade the 68000 board to
a 68030 or higher and to install a math coprocessor in.  I'd prefer a faster
board, too, one that is 16 Mhz or higher.
     Price is definitely a limit, so the lower the upgrade, the better.  Thus,
I need advice from all you who have experienced such upgrades.  Which is better
when comparing the price, the extent of upgrade, and the compatibility to other
software and hardware.
     Please respond to ST701640@BROWNVM
Thanks in advance!

George

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 90 20:35 EDT
From: SEKULER@logos.cc.brandeis.edu
Subject: Word 4.0 date fix

BILL:
OK, then, here's my answer to what may be a question that almost
no one will ask.  The question was how does one change the format
WORD 4.0 uses for dates.  Unless one's system file had already been
changed, the default date format looks like this:  Mon, July 9, 1990.
Often, though, we want the date without the day.  I know of two ways
to axe the date (and make other changes to the format).

1)T-Maker, distributor of WriteNow has created a CDEV called Date.
This piece of freeware is posted on a number of bulletin boards.
When inserted into one's system folder, Date can be accessed via
the control panel and various changes to the date format are
produced by clicking the appropriate checkboxes.  Like the second
solution (below) these changes will affect not only the format of dates
in WORD but in other applications as well.

2)The second approach uses ResEdit to modify the system file.  I discovered
this approach in MacUser magazine some months back.  Warning: misuse of
ResEdit can cause genuine and lasting grief.  I won't repeat here all the
caveats associated with ResEdit; I'm assuming that ResEdit 1.2 is the
version being used (earlier versions are not well suited for the purpose
I'm suggesting).  With ResEdit open, select the System Folder and then
the System File (double click each in turn).  Scroll down to a file
named itl1 and double click it.  This is file that contains code for
date formatting.  Check the box "Suppress Day."  That's it.  Then close
successively itl1, System, System Folder.  Finally exit ResEdit.
Next time you use date function in WORD 4.0, the new, day-less format
will kick in.
BOB SEKULER

End of Info-Mac Digest