Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (07/17/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 16 Jul 90       Volume 8 : Issue 132

Today's Topics:

      [*] fast-formatter 3.0
      [*] Macintosh-For the rest of us.
      [*] Mathproblem
      [*] SoundLeech
      [*] SuperPlay 4.0
      [*] Transform init
      AWK or AWK-like language on Mac
      font for password
      Fonts for HP DeskWriter
      Getting MacPost from Sweden
      Glossary dates in Word 4.0
      Help needed for choosing Color board/monitor
      HP DeskWriter & TeX
      HypoCard problems with paths !@#!?
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #128
      Internet to AOL
      Line Widths in MacDraw II
      Modifying Dates In Word
      Posting for Info-mac digest
      Premier Technology Phone Number?
      RenderMan, Adobe fonts and .EPS format
      Scroll Bar DefProc
      solution to disappearing files
      Spooling PICT file
      TOPS Terminal
      Using C file routines on Mac
      WANTED:  HYPERCARD STACKS

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 5 Jun 90 11:10:13 CDT
From: bobs@saintjoe.edu (Bob Schenk)
Subject: [*] fast-formatter 3.0

A week ago I downloaded the version 2.4 of Fast Formatter from the archives. I
then noticed that I had version 3.0 from another source. On the assumption
that later versions are better, here is version 3.0.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/fast-formatter-30.hqx; 67K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 23:23 EST
From: <JK_APPLE%UNHH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Macintosh-For the rest of us.

Hey gang,

I was playing with a promo video from Apple and thought this would be a great
sound to send out.  It is:  Macintosh ... The computer for the rest of us.

Its from the original ad run on TV in 1984.  Enjoy!

Joe Kazura      Apple Computer - Student Rep
University of New Hampshire     Durham, NH
BITNET: JK_APPLEREP@UNHH        Applelink: ST0566
The Views Expressed Are MINE!! Not even Apple's

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/rest-of-us.hqx; 55K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Jun 90 18:51:59 SET
From: Dmitri <LINDEA%CERNVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: [*] Mathproblem

Hi! This a Mathproblem 0.99. It is an application which gives
math problems such as R3+2-6/2=?S. Features include:
i)Size of numbers that one gets can be configured by user.
ii)Negative numbers supported.
 Note: This is only the first version, so it might contain some bugs in it...
Enjoy!
Bug reports and suggestions are welcome(no joke).
Postcards are also welcome... For source code in THINKS'C 4.02 in your mail incl

Dmitri Linde
RUE DO MOILLEBEAU 3E
APT. 12
1209 GENEVE, SWITZERLAND
PHONE: (41-022)-734-81-05
BITNET: <LINDEA@CERNVM>
HAVE FUN(Don't copy this line to envelope he-he-he)

[Archived as /info-mac/app/math-problem.hqx; 162K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 11:13:30 EDT
From: hewett@cbl.umd.edu (Steve Hewett)
Subject: [*] SoundLeech

  This is one of the sound programs recently requested
by jrhind@utoroise. It creates sound files from sound
resources. He also requested SuperPlay 4.0, which I will
also send, and Sound->snd1.2e which is already available
in the archives as part of the sound manager package.
Steve Hewett, Chesapeake Biological Laboratory
hewett@cbl.umd.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/program/sound-leech.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 11:15:22 EDT
From: hewett@cbl.umd.edu (Steve Hewett)
Subject: [*] SuperPlay 4.0

   This is one of the sound programs recently requested
by jrhind@utoroise. It plays snds at various sampling
speeds. It is much nicer than SoundPlay, which exits
after playing each sound.

Steve Hewett, Chesapeake Biological Laboratory
hewett@cbl.umd.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/program/soundplay-40.hqx; 40K]

------------------------------

Date: 29 May 90 17:37:03 EDT (Tue)
From: uunet!marvin.cooper.EDU!joseph@decwrl.dec.com (Joseph Giannuzzi)
Subject: [*] Transform init

Here is a really neat (at least I think so) init that I wrote
called Transform. The idea for this came from 'init cdev',
which is a lovely utility that allows you to turn on and off
inits and cdevs. It does this by changing the file types from
'INIT' & 'cdev' to 'xNIT' & 'xdev'. The side effect of this is
that you lose the icons for the files that are turned off, and
the Get Info box will show them as generic documents.

Enter Transform. Pop this in your System folder and reboot.
You might want to check out the really neat icon at startup :-)
Now look in your System folder and viola!, all the files that
are turned off still have their real icons, and the Get Info
box will show them as their real type!

Transform was written to be a companion for 'init cdev', but
it will work with any other init controller that changes the
file types to 'xNIT' & 'xdev'. If their is demand I will make
a new version to work with other controllers; however I don't
know what the other guys change the type to, so someone will
have to tell me (though I think they're all the same).

This will only work on HFS systems because I'm terminally lazy.
Also, this has only been run on a Mac SE & II under System 6.0.4,
so please inform me if you have any problems.

This program is free, but may not be included in any commercial
package without my permission. Use the address below for bug
reports, recommendations, or just to say you like it. Enjoy!

Joseph Giannuzzi - 1990			joseph@marvin.cooper.edu
Peppermint Park Productions		cmcl2!cooper!joseph

[Archived as /info-mac/init/transform.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 90  11:40:24 TST
From: DALFE%TRBOUN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: AWK or AWK-like language on Mac

Is there a Mac version of UNIX's AWK or something
similar (and as powerful) to AWK?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 90 10:26:32 CDT
From: David Palmer <DTP622F%SMSVMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: font for password

I am looking for a font to be used for keying in passwords in HyperCard.
I imagine that there is a font available that would return the same character,
possibly an asterisk, for every different letter keyed in.

thank you for any help you might give

David Palmer
Southwest Missouri State University

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 90  11:48:56 TST
From: DALFE%TRBOUN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Fonts for HP DeskWriter

Hi netters,
I just bought a HP DeskWriter and for the moment I am
very happy with it, except ... I can not write Turkish
with it. Turkish has six additional letters that is not
included in the standard fonts HP supplies with the
printers and I don't have access to those scalable fonts
to modify them.
Of course, one can always look for 4x bitmaps, but it is very
limiting and not that pretty.

As of now, HP has not been that responsive to my problem
(is there anybody from HP listening out there??!!)

Nuzhet Dalfes
Bogazici University
Istanbul, TURKEY

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Jul 90 14:55:49 EDT
From: gjb@cs.brown.edu
Subject: Getting MacPost from Sweden

Could someone who is able to FTP to pollux.lu.se (which is in Sweden,
I think) get MacPost and post it to info-mac? I tried from here and
couldn't connect, and we're a pretty well-connected site.

MacPost, by the way, is a free electronic mail system for the Mac that
connects to a well-connected SMTP machine for mail service.

				-greg

Greg Brail
Internet: gjb@cs.brown.edu  BITNET: gjb@browncs.bitnet
UUCP:	..uunet!brunix!gjb  Home:   (401)273-1172

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 90 10:03:33 EDT
From: Bob Stewart <stewart@xyplex.com>
Subject: Glossary dates in Word 4.0

Reg Oake asked for a way to format dates obtained from the Word glossary.  I
wanted that too, and one of my collegues supplied me with a freeware cdev
called "Date", "Written to help WriteNow users by Andy Jeffery, Copyright 1989
T/Maker Company, all rights reserved."  It gives you a nice dialog box in the
control panel that lets you select date components, separators, and order.

I don't know where he got it, but I might be able to figure out how to pack it
up and send it up to the sumex-aim archive if it isn't already there.

	Bob

-----------
Bob Stewart (rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com)
Xyplex, Boxborough, Massachusetts
(508) 264-9900

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 90 13:45:56 cdt
From: Glenn Sowell <sowell@hoss.unl.edu>
Subject: Help needed for choosing Color board/monitor

I am ready to buy a Mac IIfx, but I am still waffling on which video
board/monitor to get.  Now I am definitely on a small budget, but I
am nevertheless planning on going with 24 bit color.  My first thought
was to go with Apple's color monitor and the new 8/24 color board. Both
are available to me at University discount at $678 & $609 respectively.
The monitor has gotten good marks in the recent MacUser & Macworld
reviews.  I have seen less on the video board though.  More attention
seems to be directed at the 8/24 GC - the accelerated one. (Question: is
the vanilla 8/24 upgradable to the GC?  I haven't seen anything addressing
that.)But now I am having some second thoughts.  I see that CDA computer
sales has a RasterOps 264 + Seiko 14" Trinitron for $1069. The ad claims
the monitor is 43% brighter than the leading competitor. Does anyone
have any experience with the video card and/or monitor?  I will want to
get an accelerator card to add to this later.  Am I limiting my choices
too much with the RasterOps?  Do I risk compatibility problems with
System 7.0? 8.0?

Please, someone hold my hand and tell me which one (or others) to buy.

Glenn Sowell
sowell@hoss.unl.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 90  11:54:53 TST
From: DALFE%TRBOUN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: HP DeskWriter & TeX

Hi netters,

I want to print TeX on my HP DesWriter. Do you know
a TeX implementation for Mac that supports DeskWriter?
It is a great printer and it is relatively *cheap*,
there should be a way to do TeX with it.

By the way, I am hearing about OzTeX, what is OzTeX?
A PD TeX for Mac?

Nuzhet Dalfes
Bogazici University
Istanbul, TURKEY

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Jun 90 14:53 EDT
From: <SZAWASKY%WHEATNMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HypoCard problems with paths !@#!?

Dear netters,

        I have an aggrivating problem.  My friend has a MAC SE running 6.0.4
and HyperCard 1.2.2.  He has an Ehman 30+ drive.  He has tried to get a card
in the home stack to be a jumping off point to his various applications.

        I have created an almost identical system on a Mac IIx running 6.0.4
and 1.2.2.  The major difference being that my card remembers where files are
AFTER QUITTING HyperCard.  We tried the following possibilities:

        Mispelled Application names (including hidden characters)
        Rebuilding the desktop
        Renaming the Harddrive
        Moving the applications to the root directory
        Replacing HyperCard and the Home stack with fresh copies
        Actually typeing in the paths with the names
                        open "Ehman 30+:Word processing:MS Works:Microsoft W...
        Beating the computer with a large aluminum softball bat
                just kidding ;-)

I can't figure it out!  Why won't HyperCard go the applications?  It remembers
as long as we don't quit HyperCard.

we also tried
        Copying my (working) home stack to his computer.

Did we bury the applications too deep in subdirectories for HyperCard to reach?

                                                                Thanx,

                                                                Spencer
                                                                SZawasky
                                                                @WheatnMA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 90 23:39 EDT
From: "Gary Johnston, Music Department" <JOHNSTON@nkuvax.bitnet>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #128

RE: system & finder wierdness

The first line of defense when and system or finder wierdness should
be this.  Boot from the latest version distribution disk, double
click on the install icon, and reinstall your system to the hard disk.

DO NOT just drag a new copy of the system &/or finder into the system folder.

Gary Johnston
Music Dept.
NKU

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 90 05:46:02 -0700
From: CEBESS%34985.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com
Subject: Internet to AOL

I know there is a way to get mail from Internet to Applelink. Is there a way
to get mail from Internet to America OnLine (once called Applelink PE)?
Thanks

Charles E. Bess                 Internet: CEBESS%KOESS.gm@HAC2ARPA.hac.com
Electronic Data Systems         Dial-8  : 8-360-5646
Suite 100C                      AT&T    : (317) 240-5646
2601 Fortune Circle East,       FAX     : (317) 240-5622
Indianapolis, IN 46241-5513     CPS     : 72437,3132
                                America OnLine : CEBess

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 90 21:02:22 EDT
From: "Keith E Gatling  [315] 443-3285" <RSKEG%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Line Widths in MacDraw II

In reply  to Bob Fillmore's  question, I've  had a similar  problem in
old MacDraw,  always with diagonal  lines, and I  think I have  a good
idea of what the problem is.

The problem  is that when  you're doing simple  0 or 90  degree lines,
everything is  fine. This is because  the pixels are lining  up either
directly next  to or  directly on  top of (beneath)  each other.  As a
result you  get a  straight line  of exactly  the width  you expected.

HOWEVER,  when   you  start  to   do  diagonal  lines,  the   laws  of
trigonometry come  into play. You  would think  that a 45  degree line
of one  pixel in width  would have the same  thickness as a  90 degree
line with  the same width.  But there is a  very good reason  why this
is  not true...square  pixels.  If you  measure a  pixel  from top  to
bottom,  you get  a measurement  of  1 point  (one 72nd  of an  inch).
However,  if you  measure it  on  a 45  degree diagonal  from one  top
corner to the opposing bottom corner,  you get a measurement of pretty
close to  1.4141213 (square root  of 2) points.  This is almost  a 50%
increase in size.

It's been a while  since I've done any heavy duty  trig, but I suspect
that knowing  the trig  functions, it  would be  a "simple"  matter to
figure out what  the relative thickness would be for  a one pixel line
at any  other degree  off the  perpendicular. Once  you knew  what the
relative  thickness was,  you  could make  allowances  for the  actual
thickness of the line.

For example, if you were normally working  with a 3 pixel wide line on
the perpendicular,  but needed  to draw  one on  a 45  degree diagonal
(sorry, it's  the only  one I  can do  in my  head); knowing  that the
relative thickness is  1.4, and that this is pretty  close to 1.5, you
would divide 3 by  1.5, and get an actual line  thickness of 2 pixels.
If  anyone  out  there  with  more  math  than  me  wants  to  do  the
calculations for the  other angles (only every five  degrees), you are
more than welcome.

I suspect  that this entire  problem would  be nonexistent if  we were
working with round  pixels, which would measure the same  from any two
opposing points, but I may be wrong.

I hope this helped more than it confused.

keg

------------------------------

Date: Sun,  8 Jul 90  23:45:39 MDT
From: EPETERS%CSUGREEN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Modifying Dates In Word

Reg Oake recently asked for help in customizing Word's glossary entries for
dates.  This drove me up the wall also, until the newer versions of ResEdit
(v. 1.2 and above:  I use 1.3) were released.  These versions allow you to
open and edit the 'itl1' resource in the System file.  Just launch ResEdit,
open the System file by double-clicking on it.  Scroll down until you
reach the itl1 resource.  Open the resource by double-clicking on it.  The
resource contains a single entry (itl1 "US" ID=0).  Double-click on this
resource to open it, and a dialog box appears which allows you to configure
how the date is displayed:  how many characters to use in abbreviated
months, whether or not to use leading zeros for the numerical values, names
for months and days, etc.  There is also a series of popup menus to
configure the order of the day, date, month and year, as well as checkboxes
to suppress the date, day, month and/or year (which is what Reg was looking
for).  Just alter the date to fit your needs (the changes are displayed in
the dialog box so that you can tell when you've set it correctly), save
your changes and quit from ResEdit.  Your Word documents with long date
glossary entries will now all reflect the change (even those documents that
had the glossary entry before you edited the system, provided that these
were dynamic entries, e.g. using the present long date on each printing).
I hope this was clear.  I wish Microsoft would just let you customize the
glossary entries themselves (maybe in Word 5.0).

* Eric L. Peters                             BBS/DATA:           223-0229 *
* Dept. of Radiology and Radiation Biology   GEnie:             E.PETERS2 *
* Colorado State University                  America Online:         Eryx *
* Fort Collins, CO 80523                     BITNET:     EPETERS@CSUGREEN *
* Voice: (303) 491-5343  FAX: 491-0623       INTERNET:           EPETERS@ *
*              226-3610                        CSUGREEN.UCC.COLOSTATE.EDU *
*  Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.                -Randy Builder     *

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Jul 90 22:36:02 ADT
From: Trevor Sawler <V5YS%UNB.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Posting for Info-mac digest

Just a question for any and all persons out there who might be
using FullWrite Professional: FullWrite 1.1 (that is the latest
version, isn't it?) has been giving me some problems as of late.
Sometimes when I select Page setup and go to change the margins,
the application locks up on me, and I have to hit the reset button.
I have been using FullWrite for about a year and a half, and this
has only started happening over the past few months.

Hardware: Mac SE with Radius 16 accelerator, 2.5 megs RAM, system
6.0.4, normally under multifinder (although the problem occurs under
the Finder as well).

Any and all help would be appreciated.  Please reply to me directly
at V5YS@UNB.CA, and if there are enough interested replies (although
with the relative popularity of FullWrite, I doubt there will be)
I will summarize.

-- Trevor Sawler

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jul 90 12:54 -0700
From: IanW@gui.consumers.bc.ca
Subject: Premier Technology Phone Number?

Hi,

Does anyone have the latest phone number for Premier Technology?
Their previous phone number was (415) 882-7766 but it seems to be
disconnected.

They publish Strategic Conquest Plus and Net Trek.  I sent away for
the upgrade to SCP ten weeks ago after confirming the cost of it
over the phone and I haven't heard from them since...

Thanks,

Ian Wijesinghe
ianw@gui.consumers.bc.ca

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  9 Jul 90 23:06 EDT
From: <2240065%LAVALVX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: RenderMan, Adobe fonts and .EPS format

Hello networkers,

I'm new on this forum and I'm on a big project right now.  I need
technical help.

My boss just bought MAC RenderMan, the photo-realistic graphic
package produced by PIXAR.  I'm working on a 3D text editor.  My
program will take any string of characters produced in a EPS
format, it will give a third dimension to the fonts and it will use
shaders and spot lights of MAC RenderMan.

My researches right are focused on 2 points:

   - How the Adobe fonts are structured ?  (this is a public
     information since few months)

   - Is there any information about the PostScript or EPS
     implementation of the fonts ?

All the information I could get would really help me.  I thank
ahead of time anyone who could help me on that.

Yours,

Chris P. Keaton
---------------------------------
Laval University, Quebec, Canada
---------------------------------
BITNET: 2240065@LAVALVX1
InterNET: 2240065@LavalVX1.bitnet

440, Fraser
Quebec, P.Quebec
G1S 1R4    Canada

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 90 10:05:33 PDT
From: dmittman@beowulf.jpl.nasa.gov (David Mittman)
Subject: Scroll Bar DefProc

Does anyone have a THINK C version of the standard Scroll Bar DefProc? I want
to implement a scroll bar which has a thumb which shows how much of the total
amount of infomation in a window is currently being displayed. Thanks.

						- David Mittman
						  DMittman@Beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV

------------------------------

Date: Sat 7 Jul 90 15:48:03-EDT
From: C. David Young <DYOUNG@a.isi.edu>
Subject: solution to disappearing files

Dear Netters,

You may have seen the recent message concerning my encounter with the
disappearing files syndrome.  I am happy to report that I have
successfully repaired my hard disk directory and the solution turned
out to be very simple, just a matter of changing 2 bytes that had
gotten clobbered in the Catalog B-Tree.  I wish to thank Jay Lieske
(jhl@naif.jpl.nasa.gov) for reporting his earlier encounter with this
beast.  Even though his solution is a lot more complicated than
necessary (at least in my case), he did provide me with enough
information to get started.  I will describe my solution here in the
hopes that somebody else may find it useful under similar circumstances.

Since Jay mentioned Fedit+ in his note and I knew of no other sector
editor that might be better, I ordered it from MacZone ($28).  This
program is quite satisfactory for this task, although it is 4 years old
and I feel could be a lot better.  Its documentation includes a
description of the HFS file data structures that is much better than
the one found in Inside Macintosh, but I still found it hard to follow
(and I am a professional programmer who has written similar utilities
for other systems!).  Does anybody know of a *clear* description of the
HFS data structures?  Does anybody know of a better sector editor than
Fedit+?  One that automatically follows the Extents and Catalog B-Trees
would be very helpful for this type of task.

I will not attempt a complete description of the HFS data structures
here, but instead concentrate on the data structure that was the key to
my problem, the Catalog B-Tree.  Don't worry if you don't know what a
B-Tree is.  It is sufficient to know that the Catalog B-Tree contains
an entry for every file and directory on the disk and enough control
information to maintain the hierarchical structure.  Part of this
information is naturally the name of the file or directory, stored as a
Pascal string (a length byte followed by the characters of the name).
One way to find the Catalog B-Tree entry for a particular file or
directory is to do a sequential search of the disk for the name.
However, since the name can appear several places on the disk, I will
describe what a Catalog B-Tree node looks like so that you will
recognize it.

A B-Tree node is contained within one disk sector (512 bytes).  If you
find a sector containing the name of the file or directory you are
interested in, the first 14 bytes of that sector will tell you whether
it is a B-Tree node or not.  If it is a B-Tree node, these bytes will
look something like this:

0000 0212 0000 021C FF01 0003 0000
--------- --------- ---- ---- ----
    |         |       |    |    |
    |         |       |    |    +-- Unused (should always be zero?)
    |         |       |    +------- The number of records in this node
    |         |       +------------ The first byte should be FF indicating
    |         |                     a "leaf" node and the next byte should
    |         |                     be 01, the B-Tree level of a leaf
    |         +-------------------- Link to previous B-Tree node
    +------------------------------ Link to next B-Tree node

While these numbers will be different for every node, the key to look
for is FF01.  If you find a sector containing the name of the desired
file or directory and bytes 8 & 9 are FF01, it is probably the Catalog
B-Tree node containing the record for that file or directory.
Following these 14 bytes are one or more B-Tree records, one for each
file or directory contained in this node (sector).  I won't describe
these records in detail except to say that the first byte on an even
byte boundary following the ASCII name (the Pascal string is padded out
to an even number of bytes) specifies whether this is a file or
directory record.  If it is a file record then this byte is a 2 (0200
since the following byte is always 00).  A directory record has a
signature of 1 (0100).

My problem was that the 0200 of the file record had been overwritten
with some other arbitrary values.  When I changed these 2 bytes back to
0200, the missing files suddenly reappeared (after closing the directory
window and reopening it).  Whew!

Now, the reason all the files past this one in the alphabet disappeared
is that B-Tree records are chained together in order (in this case
alphabetical).  If something happens to break the chain, all records
beyond the break will "disappear".  However, I don't understand why the
File Manager is not more robust.  In this case the links were perfectly
fine, just one of the records was a little strange.  The File Manager
should just inform the user that the record is corrupted (maybe with
the sector and byte number to make it easy to find) and continue
following the links.  At the very least a program like Disk First Aid
should give you this information.  However, when I used it to verify
the volume (and used cmd-S to see what was going on), it said it was
checking the Catalog B-Tree and then stopped with a message something
like "Unable to complete check".  At least this confirmed my suspicion
that the Catalog B-Tree was messed up.

I would be interested in hearing from people who have had similar
experiences, especially if you can recommend other tools for performing
this kind of operation.

David Young
dyoung@a.isi.edu

-------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Jul 90 15:38:05 EDT
From: robert wilson <RWILSON%UTCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Spooling PICT file

I am learning to program the Macintosh as well as C.  I have a neat
little program which draws a color picture into picture structure in memory.
The problem I am having is I can't seem to write my picture out to a PICT
file.  I have IM I-V, but am having some trouble translating between Pascal
and C.  Since this is a common procedure and many of you use C, could someone
send me this procedure translated to C? I am using Think's C 4.0, by the way.
I apprecaite any help and hopefully will have my first program to post in a
couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Robert
RWILSON at UTCVM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 1990 20:28:06 MDT
From: SOLOMON@mis.arizona.edu (Monty Solomon)
Subject: TOPS Terminal

I understand that TOPS Terminal was placed in the public domain.

Where are the sources available?

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Jul 90 14:28:26 CST
From: Steve Kohlmeyer <steve@sunserver.psych.umn.edu>
Subject: Using C file routines on Mac

The Net,

I would like to be able to use the standard C file routines (fopen, fprintf, etc
   )
in my Mac application.  However, at the same time I want to retain the
flexibility of the application by allowing users to use the standard file pkg to
get and save files.  The problem is that fopen() needs a pathname to open a file
that is not in the same directory as the application.  How can I determine the
path to a file from either the root directory or relative to the application if
the user has selcted this file with the standard file pkg?  Is this possible, or
do I have to convert my C file routines to Mac routines?  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  Please send responses to me and summerize for the Net.
Thanks.

Steve Kohlmeyer                            phone:  (612) 626-1551
Image Understanding Laboratory             email:  steve@eye.psych.umn.edu
Department of Psychology
University of Minnesota 55455

------------------------------

Date: Saturday, 7 July 1990 1:58pm ET
From: "Leora.Druckman" <21765LD%MSU.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: WANTED:  HYPERCARD STACKS

Hello Folks!

I am working with a group that is introducing the Macintosh and multimedia to
schools  (Kindergarten through High Schools).   We are looking for Hypercard
stacks to show to teachers the potential of Hypercard and Demonstrate it's
ease of use.  Any stacks that you know of, sources to contact, etc. would be
appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Leora Druckman
21765LD@MSU

P.S.  Programs/Demos from other software platforms (Director, Authorware etc.)
are also of interest.

End of Info-Mac Digest