Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (07/17/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 16 Jul 90       Volume 8 : Issue 133

Today's Topics:

      [*] Code to hide the Menu Bar.
      [*] Compass Laser Font
      [*] DisKeeper 1.2
      [*] Front & Center 2.0 cdev
      [*] Mews 1.3.2
      [*] MultiSpool
      [*] Neuland Type 3 PostScript Font (HappiWare)
      [*] Sci-Fi Animated Cursors
      Calculators
      Cheap Macs
      DeskWriter
      Disinfectant INIT
      Freedom of Press ?
      HyperDrive 2000
      Inside Mac Vol. VI and VII
      LaserWriter 6.0 again
      MacDraw II line widths
      MacDraw line widths
      Making a Sow's Ear from a Silk Purse
      Mirror Syquest Drive
      OZTEX
      plotter driver question
      POP3 Server
      Problems with Macros
      Reading, formatting and writing disks
      timing diagram maker
      Wanted: Mac time logging utility

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sun Jun 10 01:01:31 1990
From: microsoft!earleh@uunet.uu.net
Subject: [*] Code to hide the Menu Bar.

I saw a request for this in comp.sys.mac.programmer a while ago, and
couldn't find anything like it in any of the archives, so I wrote one
of my own.

This piece of code can be used to hide the Menu Bar.  I used it in
a screen saver I once wrote to work as an application under MultiFinder.
I haven't done any Mac programming since I switched to Windows, but I
am pretty sure it still works.

Earle R. Horton
uunet!microsoft!earleh
earleh@microsoft.UUCP

[Archived as /info-mac/source/pascal/hide-menu-bar.txt; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Jun 90 16:21:07 CDT
From: bobs@saintjoe.edu (Bob Schenk)
Subject: [*] Compass Laser Font

Attached it Compass, a simple PostScript font made up of circles and line
segments. More info is in the README Teach Text document.

[Archived as /info-mac/font/compass.hqx; 18K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 90 18:32:37 PDT
From: Barrett P. Eynon <barry@playfair.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] DisKeeper 1.2

Here is version 1.2 of DisKeeper, a versatile disk management utility with
many uses, including producing lists of duplicate files, empty files,
applications and inits with version numbers, etc.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/diskeeper-12.hqx; 156K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 90 9:10:29 EDT
From: Kenneth Sussmann (PBMA) <sussmann@pica.army.mil>
Subject: [*] Front & Center 2.0 cdev

Here is Front & Center 2.0.  It is a cdev that centers dialog
boxes around the cursor. It was written by Pete Helme and is
shareware ($10).  It is especially handy for large screens where
mousing around to make a selection can become quite a pain.

Ken

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/front-and-center-20.hqx; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 90 15:31:26 +1000
From: "Charles A. Lakos" <charles@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au>
Subject: [*] Mews 1.3.2

Mews (for Mail and News) is a Hypercard stack for reading and posting both
mail and news using the MacTCP protocol driver.  Mews communicates with
mail and news servers provided on some mainframe computer or computers.

Mail communication depends on the SMTP and POP (POP3 or POP2) protocols
supported on the mail server, while news communication depends on the
NNTP protocol (version 1.5 or later) supported on the news server.  By
utilising these protocols, a user need only have a POP mailbox account
on the mail server rather than a full login account.  All posting of
mail or news is validated against the password for the POP account.

Features of Mews:
* one format of message cards for both mail and news items
* one format of index cards for mail items, newsgroups, and subject list
  within a newsgroup
* ability to save and recall messages to text files
* ability to print messages with a standard banner
* ability to perform save, recall, print, discard on multiple messages at
  a time
* posting of news as opposed to mail is determined by the recipient of the
  message being one or more known newsgroups
* ability to delete your own message from a newsgroup (having first been
  validated against the password for the POP account)
* the handling of long messages (in excess of 30000 characters) by querying
  the user whether to discard excess characters or save direct to a text file

Mews has been posted to comp.binaries.mac and the info-mac archives.
It is also available by anonymous ftp as pub/mac/Mews_1.3.hqx from
ftp.utas.edu.au (131.217.10.1).

The current version includes patches to level 1.3.2 which resolve:
* more efficient use of space to cater for larger newsgroup lists
* better response when passwords are entered incorrectly or cancelled
* handles larger mail headers than before

Charles Lakos,                               charles@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science,
University of Tasmania,
Australia.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/mews-132-part1.hqx; 170K
             /info-mac/comm/mews-132-part2.hqx; 169K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Jun 90 16:21:26 PDT
From: Dane Spearing <dane@denali.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] MultiSpool

MultiSpool is the only shareware ImageWriter print spooler I have ever
run across.  MultiSpool is an init, and is controlled much the same way
that Suitcase II is - from the Apple menu.  To use it, simply drop it
in your system folder and reboot.  No documentation came with it, but
it has a fairly clear on-line help feature.  Note that MultiSpool
requires that you be running Multifinder!!!  Under finder, print jobs
can still be spooled if you so choose, but they won't print out until
you go into MultiFinder.

MultiSpool is shareware, but the author only gives an address in
Italy to contant and does not mention a price.  This is version 1.0b3.
					-Dane Spearing
					 Dept of Geology
					 Stanford University
					 <dane@pangea.stanford.edu>

[Archived as /info-mac/init/multi-spool.hqx; 27K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 10 Jun 90  23:38 GMT
From: ZDTL123@ash.cc.kcl.ac.uk
Subject: [*] Neuland Type 3 PostScript Font (HappiWare)

This font is an adaptation of Rudolph Koch's Neuland; it contains
the uppercase characters, numerals and punctuation symbols. The
font is *HappiWare* and freely redistributable. I am trying to
build a library of publicly and freely available faces, both for
PostScript and bitmaps; if you'd like to send me anything, or
make comments, please write :
Quando, 50a Howard's Lane Putney, London SW15 6QF
CompuServe : 100016,275
LYEOH@UK.AC.KCL
I'd also like reviews of the PostScript Public Domain faces
generally available (and sources, which are pitifully few) as
well.

[Archived as /info-mac/font/neuland.hqx; 41K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 90 11:22 EDT
From: <MHOUSER%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Sci-Fi Animated Cursors

Here are some cursors for use with the Animated Cursors cdev. The cursors are
based on some famous science fiction movies.  I hope you like them.

When debinhexed this is a StuffIt archive.

Mike Houser
Bitnet:  MHOUSER@COLGATEU

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/animated-cursors-sci-fi.hqx; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 14:20:35 EDT
From: Bob Stewart <stewart@xyplex.com>
Subject: Calculators

I recently went on a search for a better calculator DA than the standard one.
I got frustrated when it wouldn't delete one character.  I don't want an RPN
type, either; I'm mostly old-fashioned.

I got the dCAD from sumex-aim, and it won't delete either.

I got four from wsmr-simtel20.  HexDec Calculator is nice and simple and
deletes, but some people are never satisfied.  Two version called desktop
calculators are RPN.  SuperCalc II sounded pretty good, but when I run it it
hangs my Mac out to dry and I have to reboot.

Any suggestions for what's wrong with SuperCalc II or a better suggestion?

Thanks,

	Bob

-----------
Bob Stewart (rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com)
Xyplex, Boxborough, Massachusetts
(508) 264-9900

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 17:21 EDT
From: <RMANGALD%CLARKU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Cheap Macs

Hi, guys:

        Does anyone know a good source for buying used Macintoshes? Has
anyone bought a used Mac? If so, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Also,
what are the options for upgrading an SE/30 to color? I'd appreciate
hearing from people who've done so. I'll summarize to the net.

        Thanks.

                                Rahul Mangaldas.

                  bitnet:       rmangaldas@clarku
                internet:       rmangaldas@clarku.bitnet
        for dumb mailers:       rmangaldas%clarku.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
                                rmangaldas%clarku.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 16:21:53 CDT
From: Graeme <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: DeskWriter

I've been using HP's DeskWriter with 4x fonts I built with Fontastic+.
Everything is fine except that the underlines the printer produces are
hairlines. Does anyone know how to get thicker underlines?

Graeme Forbes
PL0BALF @ TCSVM

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 15:07:24 PDT
From: jln@acns.nwu.edu
Subject: Disinfectant INIT

I've received lots of questions about the new virus protection INIT in
Disinfectant 2.0.  People want to know whether it's compatible with
Gatekeeper and/or the various commercial protection INITs, whether they
should use it together with these other INITs or in place of them, etc.

I didn't do a good enough job discussing these issues in the manual.  I'll
try to clarify them here.

First, the Disinfectant INIT detects and blocks ALL of the currently known
Mac virus families (Scores, nVIR, INIT 29, ANTI, MacMag, WDEF, ZUC, MDEF,
and Frankie).  It DOES NOT detect or block ANY possible unknown viruses.

I don't know of any conflicts between the Disinfectant INIT and Vaccine,
GateKeeper, GateKeeper AID, Eradicat'Em, SAM Intercept, Rival, the Virex
INIT, etc.  I haven't done exhaustive testing, however, and I couldn't
guarantee 100% compatibility even if I had.

There is no good reason to use more than one protection INIT, with one
exception.  The exception is that if you use GateKeeper, you should also
use either GateKeeper Aid or Eradicat'Em.  GateKeeper catches all the
known viruses EXCEPT for WDEF, while the other two INITs handle WDEF.

With this notable exception, I recommend that you pick a single protection
INIT and use just that one.  Using more than one does not usually increase
the protection at all, it's just asking for compatibility problems and
wasting memory.

I no longer recommend that you use Vaccine.  Vaccine is an admirable piece
of work which did its job well for a long time, but it's no longer
sufficient.  It is showing its age - it's not supported, and it does not
catch several of the newer viruses (WDEF in particular).

I recommend that you use GateKeeper (together with GateKeeper AID or
Eradicat'Em), OR use the Disinfectant INIT, OR use one of the commercial
INITs.

Deciding which INIT to use is an issue of free vs. commercial and
simplicity vs. power.  The Disinfectant 2.0 manual discusses the
simplicity vs. power issue in more detail (see the section titled
"Protection").

Hope this helps.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
jln@acns.nwu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 14:17:03 +0200
From: SCHNEIDERS Jean-Pierre <U219404%BLIULG11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Freedom of Press ?

I am searching for a way to print PostScript language files on a HP DeskWriter.
It seems that Freedom of Press should do such things. Does anybody have used
this software before? Does it work with the DeskWriter? What's its speed?

Thank you beforehand for your help,
                                                 J.-P. SCHNEIDERS

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 09:50 EDT
From: "Mark Nutter, Apple Support" <MANUTTER%IUP.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HyperDrive 2000

problems with his internal HyperDrive).

     I used to work for a computer dealer back in '86-87 and I vividly
remember the problems we had with internal HyperDrives.  Though General
Computer Corporation is still alive and well, thank you, they quit supporting
internal HyperDrives not long after I started at the dealership, i.e. 3 or 4
years ago.  The HyperDrive was actually a technical breakthrough, for its
time, but later design decisions by Apple made it obsolete.

     At the time, the Mac had no SCSI bus, and hard disks had to be accessed
through the painfully slow serial port.  GCC's innovative approach was to
design a hardware interface that CLIPPED DIRECTLY ONTO THE CPU CHIP inside
the Mac.  Compared to the old non-SCSI HD20, the HyperDrive was hyper-fast, and
for a while it was pretty reliable, at least for the Mac 512 and 512e.

    Then Apple came out with the Mac Plus, with its built-in SCSI port.
Suddenly, the internal HyperDrive had lots of competition.  Not only was the
SCSI port just as fast as the HyperDrive's direct connection, but what's
more, SCSI-type hard disks were officially supported by Apple, whereas the
internal HyperDrive, with its sneaky-trick clip-on connector, was not.
HyperDrives began to crash at odd intervals, due to system and program
incompatibilities.  Complaints began to accumulate.  GCC had taken a gamble by
modifying the Mac motherboard, and they lost.  Rather than face the horrendous
task of trying to keep the HyperDrive current, GCC dropped the internal
HyperDrive and concentrated on the external and/or SCSI hard disk line.

     My advice to your friend is to go back to Finder 5.5 and System 4.1.
Apple released that System/Finder combination just before GCC quit supporting
the internal HyperDrive, so if you get the latest version of the HyperDrive
Manager software, it should work with that System and Finder.  Naturally,
some of the newer programs won't work with the older System and Finder.  The
internal HyperDrive is officially obsolete, meaning that your friend is going
to have to choose whether to keep his HyperDrive (and not be able to run all
the latest programs) or to cough up the money for a SCSI drive.

    By the way, you mentioned looking for SCSI and/or serial formatters for
the HyperDrive. As indicated above, the internal HyperDrive is neither SCSI nor
serial, it is connected directly to the 68000 chip via a custom clip, so you
have to use the official GCC Manager software.

    I'm trying to remember the version number of the HyperDrive Manager, but
the closest I can come is something like V3R2 or V3R3 or something like that.
It's been a while since I've had anything to do with internal HyperDrives.
At least I can give you the address for GCC:

     GCC Technologies
     580 Winter St.
     Waltham, MA  02154
     800-422-7777
     (FAX) 617-890-0822

   If you are in New York state, you might also try ComputerLand of Upstate
NY, (716) 244-5000.  They are listed as being authorized GCC dealers, and
they might be able to get you the last/latest HyperDrive Manager software.

   Hope this helps!

Mark Nutter
Apple Support Coordinator
Indiana Univ. of PA
MANUTTER@IUP.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 14:10
From: "Peter Maurer"                              <RY06%DKAUNI2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Inside Mac Vol. VI and VII

Hello,

recently, I read something about Vol. VI and VII of Inside Macintosh.
I didn't hear anything before of these volumes, and I'm not shure wether
the information that these volumes exist ist right. Does anybody know
about these volumes ? If so, can anybody tell me, how I can get them
as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance,
                                             Peter (:-))
Peter Maurer
RY06@DKAUNI2 (DEARN)
Computer Center Univ. Karlsruhe
Programmers Information Service

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 07:01:08 cdt
From: george@huntsai.boeing.com (George Williams)
Subject: LaserWriter 6.0 again

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>A few days ago I posted that the newest version of the LaserWriter driver
>(version 6.0.1) defaults to black and white, not color. Well, I was wrong!
>However, I have a modified LaserWriter driver (version 6.z) which does
>indeed default to b/w. This version is NOT SUPPORTED by Apple.

Is it possible for anyone outside of Apple to get [ftp] copies of
this?  Alternatively, could you explain how to patch 6.0.1 to default
to b&w?

Thanks,
George Williams
Boeing Computer Services   Internet: george@huntsai.boeing.com  [preferred]
POBox 240002, M/S JA-74        UUCP: ...!uunet!uw-beaver!bcsaic!huntsai!george
Huntsville AL 35824-6402      Phone: 205+461-2597   BTN: 861-2597
---

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 09:38 EST
From: <FILLMORE%EMRCAN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacDraw II line widths

  I received a number of replies to my message about the widths of diagonal
lines being greater than horizontal or vertical lines.  The concensus is
that a square pen is being used to draw the lines, which explains the
symptoms.

  I also got a reply from somebody at Claris  who said that it is a problem
inherent in using QuickDraw on a Postscript device.
Apparently Postscript does not support "constant line widths"
for individual lines, but it does for polygons.  Until they fix it, try to
use polygons.  They are working on a solution to this problem.

  Thanks to everybody who replied.

  - Bob Fillmore    FILLMORE@EMRCAN.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 16:11:05 -0400
From: ANDERSEN <sigurd@vax1.udel.edu>
Subject: MacDraw line widths

Bill Fillmore asked:

> From: <FILLMORE%EMRCAN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
> Subject: MacDraw II line widths
>
> We have noticed a problem with line widths in MacDraw II.
> We drew an object consisting of vertical, horizontal, and diagonal
> lines using a 1-point pen size.  The lines appear to be the same
> width on the screen, but when we print it on the Apple Laserwriter
> the diagonal lines appear to be much thicker (almost twice as thick).
> ... Is it MacDraw's fault or the Laserwriter's fault?
> ________________________
> Bob Fillmore, Systems Software & Communications     BITNET:  FILLMORE@EMRCAN
>   Computer Services Centre,                         BIX:     bfillmore
>   Energy, Mines, & Resources Canada                 Voice:   (613) 992-2832
>   588 Booth St., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1A 0E4   FAX:     (613) 996-2953

I had the same problem and contacted Claris about this.  I had to
convince them there was a problem - the people I talked to had not
heard about it before.  The problem is in the algorithm MacDraw (I and
II - and Claris CAD as well) uses for diagonals.  One way of thinking
of how it draws diagonals is that it draws a line by overlapping lots
of little square boxes whose base & height are the desired line width.
So for a 45 degree line, the width ends up being about 1.42x (square
root of 2) the width of a horizontal or vertical line.  Claris didn't
seem to have any plans to fix this "feature" of their program.

One mediocre way around the problem is to set up a bunch of different
line widths for various diagonals (e.g., 1.1+ for 30 & 60 degree lines,
1.4+ for 45 degree lines).

	Sigurd Andersen                sigurd@vax1.udel.edu
	Academic Computing Support      sigurd@sun.udel.edu
	University of Delaware      Bitnet: ACS20833@UDELVM
	Newark, DE 19716            phone:   (302) 451-1992

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 16:34:42 EDT
From: Bob Stewart <stewart@xyplex.com>
Subject: Making a Sow's Ear from a Silk Purse

I use Microsoft Word on a Macintosh to create pretty documents with nice
pictures.  I've figured out how to get a PostScript file from it, although
I've gathered that there's some problem with compatibility with non-Apple
PostScript printers.  I believe I can work through that with the help of the
sumex-aim info-mac archives, although I don't have any way to test whatever I
do.  The benefit of someone's experience here would help.

What I can't figure out is how to get a simple, flat ASCII file that doesn't
lose all the magic white space between and to the left of my paragraphs.  I
expect to lose fine resolution, pictures, different fonts, and even bold and
underline if need be, but does anyone know a way to keep some semblance of the
spacing and indentation?

Thanks,

	Bob

-----------

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 03:47 PDT
From: Gann Matsuda                         <IYI4DTN@oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: Mirror Syquest Drive

The following is a "review" of the Mirror Technologies RM42 Syquest
removable hard drive.  It is a 42mb, 20ms drive, and is one of the
best ones on the market, in my opinion. This "review" is for
everyone's information only, and it originally appeared on GEnie.

Review follows:

Received my Mirror Technologies RM42 Syquest drive a few weeks ago.  Although
I'm only using it to backup right now, I am impressed.  In fact, as soon as I
opened the box I was impressed.  Evidently, every piece of equipment that
leaves Mirror's factory is hand-inspected.  They included two checklists of
things that are supposed to be included in the box, and the checklists show
that someone actually made sure that everything that was supposed to be in the
box was there.

I was pleased to find out that I could connect the drive and get it running in
a matter of a few minutes, and I didn't even have to read the documentation to
do that (although I did immediately after).

The documentation for the RM42 is well-written and clear.  Anyone from a new
Mac user to a power user will be able to understand everything. The
documentation for the driver/formatter software is also good.  Too bad about
the actual software, though.  I'm not impressed with it.  It does the job, and
that's about it.  The interface isn't great, it can be awkward to use, and
lacks a number of features that evidently will be included in the upcoming
release of Mirror's new software, of which I am REALLY looking forward to
obtaining!

To me, the drive is noisy, but that's because I work in a very quiet
environment.  The only time I can't hear the drive is if I have my stereo on.
However, this drive is not any noisier than my old SuperMac XP30 (which I am
now extremely glad that I got rid of!).

I REALLY like the fact that this drive is covered by a two-year warranty.
Very nice.  Mirror also offers a program called "MirrorLoan." For a fee, they
will ship out a loaner (overnight) to you if your drives goes down.  When they
fix yours, you just ship back the loaner once you receive your
repaired/replaced drive.  The idea is to minimize down time.  Another nice
touch.  I haven't decided if I'm going to buy into this yet, however. Mirror
also offers an Extended Warranty program (I don't have any price info on
this).

As far as price is concerned, although it wasn't the lowest, I felt that I got
the best value when you combine price, quality and support.  I've seen prices
as low as $629.00 for Syquest drives.  But I haven't seen a price lower than
the $697.00 that Mirror charges from a company that has a reputation for
quality and good customer service and support.  So, I bought from Mirror, and
so far, I think I made the right decision.

Overall, I am very impressed with this drive, and equally important, Mirror's
apparent commitment to customer service and support seem to be great.  At this
point, I can recommend the RM42 Syquest drive wholeheartedly.  The price is
right, the quality is excellent and I'm impressed with their support.  When
you combine all that, I think Mirror's got a real winner with the RM42.

Gann Matsuda

(P.S.  I have no connection with Mirror, except that I just bought this drive).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 11:37:32 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: OZTEX

I have downloaded the files for oztex from tank.uchicago.edu.
The manual for oztex says that the source code requires TML Modula2 which
is no longer shipping but provided FREE. But I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Can someone direct me to the proper ftp site please?

Thanks.
PS: Please reply directly to ISSTTH@NUSVM

------------------------------

Date: 11 Jul 90 07:06:00 EDT
From: "ROBERT MCCOWAN" <mccowan@ccf3.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: plotter driver question

I just received Claris CAD, and wish to use it with a plotter.
Unfortunately, out plotter is in a building with no Macs, and
no data lines run from my mac to that building.

The plotter driver shipped with Claris CAD doesn't have the capability
of capturing the plot commands in a disk file.

Does there exist a patch to the driver to add disk file capture, or
a utility that simply logs the data stream through the serial ports
to a file?  Surely other people have run into this problem before.

Thanks

Bob McCowan
mccowan@ccf3.nrl.navy.mil
mccowan@ppdf.nrl.navy.mil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 13:33:32 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: POP3 Server

=Anyone knows how I can obtain the source for a POP (Post
=Office Protocol) server? I think the protocol is called POP 3.
=
=Thanks.
=
Try lilac.berkeley.edu [128.32.136.12]. Look in /pub somewhere...

tom c

                           = Every Day is Earth Day =
          ARPA: tcora@pica.army.mil     BITNET: Tcora@DACTH01.BITNET
                UUCP: ...!{uunet,rutgers}!pica.army.mil!tcora

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 13:49 EDT
From: FRIEDMAN@BIOVAX.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: Problems with Macros

Well folks, after waiting for someone to save the day, I guess it's time to
give up.  If you have a Macromaker file that you have worked really hard at
making, the answer appears to be that you should just make backups for a
rainy day.  The macro file appears to unretrievable when the resource map is
damaged
Rich
Friedman@mbcl.rutgers.edu
Friedman@biovax.rutgers.edu

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jul 90 18:10:06 EDT
From: Garrett.Pelton@natasha.mach.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Reading, formatting and writing disks

Does anyone have a pointer to some example source for handling disks
at a very low level on a MAC. I need to create a specialized
disk duplication application that will do the following for each disk
in a disk set.

  1) Take an unformatted disk
  2) Format it and name it
  3) Write a disk full of information on it, while serializing the information
  4) check the write.
  5) Go to the next disk in the set.

Currently I use Symantec Utilities, but I can't serialize or create
disk sets easily. I would like to store the disk images on the hard disk.

Thanks
Gary

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 13:50:01 PDT
From: jeffrey@hyper-sun1.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeffrey Chang)
Subject: timing diagram maker

I had previously asked the net if someone had heard of a program
which could draw electrical timing diagrams such as one might find in a
microprocessor databook.  I have since found a company which sells
both a PC and a Mac based version of an interactive timing diagram
maker.  It is called dV/dt and it is published by:

Doctor Design, Inc
5413 Oberlin Dr
San Diego, CA 92121
(619) 457-4545

We have purchased the PC version for $695 and our Mac version is on
order now.  dV/dt first came out on the Mac a year ago, and was just
ported to the PC a few months ago.

Jeff Chang
jeffrey%sun1.jpl.nasa.gov@hamlet.caltech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 14:24:35 MST
From: pothiers%pi3.local%netvax@ccc.nersc.gov (Steve Pothier)
Subject: Wanted: Mac time logging utility

Can anyone tell me where I might find a program to allow logging of
our Mac usage? I'm looking for something that will record a project
name or number along with start and stop times. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Please respond to me directly if you can.

advTHANKSance,
steve pothier

Steve Pothier
pothiers%tuva.sainet@ccc.nersc.gov