Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (07/19/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 18 Jul 90       Volume 8 : Issue 134

Today's Topics:

      [*] Dialogs 2.0
      [*] Eyes
      [*] Image 1.29
      [*] OpenFileSpy 1.0 Application
      [*] ResEdit Primer 3.0
      [*] Smart Slides
      [*] Trojan horse vaccine for Rival
      [*] US Postal Bar Code (Font)
      [*] VaseDance blackout for Darkness
      [*] Zoombar-15.hqx
      Activity accounting on a network
      Frehand 2.0 Bug: Joining Text to a path
      IGOR version 1.2 deficiency
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #130
      MacDraw diagonal lines
      Mac IIfx/MacRecorder 2.0
      Request for location of CopyEdit documentation
      Serial Port Problem (fixed)
      Serial Printer Driver
      shared Appletalk db servers pointers wanted
      SUPERCARD 1.5
      Taking Macs Abroad

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 90 10:26:45 -0400
From: bills@xait.xerox.com (Bill Stackhouse)
Subject: [*] Dialogs 2.0

                  Dialog - A Very-High Level Dialog Manager
                          Version 2.0      6/15/90

Dialog is a series of objects and methods to manage a dialog. In addition to
simple dialog items such as buttons, radio items, and check boxes, support is
provided for the following:
	- Drawing the bold oval around the default button.
	- Groups of radio items, boxed with titles at top or on side of group.
	- PopUp Menus.
	- Adjusting PopUp Menus to align with StaticText or EditText items.
	- Copying a selected item from a PopUp menu to an EditText item.
	- Adjusting List Items to exactly display a given number of items.
	- Items in a scrolling list.
	- Keyboard equivalents for any radio item, check box, or button.
	- Change the cursor over to an I-Beam when over EditText items.
	- Managing update events when dialogs or windows overlap the dialog.
	- Related check and text items with the display of the text item
		dependent on the state of the check item.
	- Nested dialogs.
	- Visually secure fields with optional support for the clipboard.
	- Use of the Clear key.
	- User Items.
	- User defined behavior when clicking on an item.
	- User defined validation for text edit items.

Complex dialogs can be displayed and information retrieved from them with
a few simple lines of source code. While Dialog uses Object-Oriented
techniques in its' implementation, the interface is a simple and can be used
in any existing program without even modifying the event loop.

Dialog is written using Think's Pascal 2.0/3.0 and contains about 3500 lines of
code which compiles into between 4K and 17K bytes of code. The size of the
code depends on which Dialog features are selected using compile time options.
The complete source files are included. Also included is a sample program
(source,  project, and resource). It will also compile using MPW Pascal.

Dialogs is shareware and may be used in other software without royalty as
long as credit is given. I will attempt to answer questions and accept bug
reports by either E-Mail or US Mail. The shareware fee is $35

My thanks to Kees de Ridder, Amsterdam, the Netherlands for changes introduced
in version 1.1 including porting to MPW Pascal, bug fixes, and a few features.
Also thanks to David Palmer, palmer@gap.cco.caltech.edu for the idea of
EditText validation.

[Archived as /info-mac/source/pascal/dialogs-20.hqx; 103K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 90 13:35:55 EDT
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1114" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Eyes

   As the subject says, this is an INIT called Eyes.  Eyes is very simple:
simply put it in your system folder and re-boot.  What it does is place a
pair of eyes in your menu bar.  The eyes will follow the cursor anywhere on
the screen.  If you don't move the cursor for a while, the eyes will close,
and will periodically open to see what you are up to.  Enjoy!

Bret Ingerman
Syracuse University
ingerman@suvm.acs.syr.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/init/eyes.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 90 11:07:55 -0400
From: wayne@alw.nih.gov (wayne rasband)
Subject: [*] Image 1.29

Image 1.29 is a public domain program for the Macintosh II for
doing digital image processing and analysis. It can acquire,
display, edit, enhance, analyze, print, and animate grayscale and
color images.  It reads and writes TIFF, PICT, and MacPaint files,
and features multiple windows, MacPaint-like editing and 8 levels
of magnification. It supports Data Translation and Scion frame
grabber cards. V1.29 features a Pascal-like macro programming
language. Image  requires at least 2MB and 8-bit video. A 51 page
manual in MacWrite format, a HyperCard reference stack, and
Think Pascal source are available separately.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/image-129.hqx; 229K
             /info-mac/app/image-129-docs.hqx; 213K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 17 Jun 90 16:09 EDT
From: WATTS@urhep.bitnet
Subject: [*] OpenFileSpy 1.0 Application

Hi y'all,

OpenFileSpy is a small utility I wrote for the MultiFinder Mac Environment.  It
is an application (instead of a desk acc.) that will close open files -- as
well as display a little window of info about them (the stuff the mac keeps in
its FCB blocks).

This utility is meant for programmers, I suppose.  I wrote it because the Close
File Desk Accessory kept crashing my SE/30 (5 MB, 40Mb HD, and lots of inits).
It needs a 150K partition from MultiFinder.  It will run under mono-Finder.

It will: Display a list of open files on the system, updated about once a
second.  It will display a little info on each file (also updated about once a
second).  Finally, it will allow you to close an open file.

This is shareware.  If you think you will find it useful, please send $5 to
Gordon Watts, 96 Rose Street, Metuchen, NJ, 09940.  An extra 5 bucks will get
you a disk with all the source code.

This thing is Copyright 1990, by Gordon Watts.  Portions are Copyright by
Semmantic Corp (Think C 4.0).

Included in the bin-hexex, SuffIt'd file:
	This message
	A HyperCard Help Stack
	The Application, "OpenFileSpy 1.0"

You can redistribute this thing, as long as the above items are all included in
the distribution (though I give you permission to fix my horrible spelling!).
And Thanks to all that have helped (to many to mention!)

	Gordon.

BITNET:   WATTS@UORHEP
INTERNET: gwatts@ruthep.rutgers.edu
USMAIL:	  Gordon Watts
	  Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
	  University of Rochester
	  Rochester, NY
    	  14627-0011

[Archived as /info-mac/util/open-file-spy.hqx; 98K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jun 90 11:04:45 EDT
From: phssra@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson)
Subject: [*] ResEdit Primer 3.0

This is Herb M. Goodman's ResEdit Primer, version 3.0.  From the introduction:

    Though I'm not a programmer, I feel fairly knowlegeable and comfortable
    using ResEdit to modify existing applications and files (including
    system files like the finder, system, and desktop)....Most of my
    knowledge has come from "trial and error" (with many system crashes).
    That's why I decided to put together an easy but comprehensive manual
    on ResEdit, so as to help you "unravel the mysteries of the Mac".

    I have found a few articles by other people which have proved very
    helpful in using the ResEdit program, so I decided to incorporate them
    into this manual.  I also believe in giving credit/acknowledgement to
    those people whose information I have used....I urge anyone who would
    like to contribute to this manual (I don't know it all) to submit to
    me via E-Mail, any additional information they may have, that's not
    included in this manual.  That also applies to finding inconsistancies,
    or incorrect information contained within this manual.

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet
    * *      * *    * **
     *        *      *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/resedit-primer-30.hqx; 236K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Jun 90 14:21:26 EDT
From: Clare Durst <CCD@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: [*] Smart Slides

I'm enclosing SmartSlides, a delightful Hypercard stack created by Mark
A. Brown of the Philsophy Department at Syracuse, which is for
"preparing and presenting visual aids that actively direct the viewer's
eye.  It is designed to make it possible to prepare and deliver such
presentations with little or no previous knowledge of Hypercard, without
writing hypercard scripts."

All of the materials involved in a typical
presentation can be created using menus, and can be arranged and
connected using your mouse.  You can click on command buttons to
accomplish most tasks otherwise done using menus.  Online Help is
available.  A manual is available from the author from those who
register and pay their shareware fee of $15.  The author, who
demonstrated this at MacAdemia, explained that it was created out of
necessity: he had a class of 350 students meeting in a lecture hall to
learn LOGIC, and there was no chalkboard.  And it was at 8:30 a.m.

If you are confused how to get started, open and run the
Demo, and choose ABOUT THIS SLIDE.  If you do this for each
of the demo slides (and print them off!) you'll see exactly
how each one is made and how to duplicate it.  Works as a
good tutorial.

[Archived as /info-mac/card/smart-slides-part1.hqx; 200K
             /info-mac/card/smart-slides-part2.hqx; 200K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 90 10:31:19 PDT
From: bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG)
Subject: [*] Trojan horse vaccine for Rival

This is a vaccine for various Trojan horses to be used with
Rival, the antiviral detection/eradication CDEV.  This vaccine
may be freely distributed; Rival itself is a commercial product.

John Heckendorn
BMUG, Inc.

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/rival-trojan-updater.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: SAT JUN 16, 1990 19.13.45 EST
From: "Robert J. Platt (Rob) at Lehigh" <RJP1@lehigh>
Subject: [*] US Postal Bar Code (Font)

Have you ever wondered about those barcodes the Postal Service
puts on all your mail? Those barcodes are your zip code, along
with your P O Box number, if you have one.

This is a Macintosh font I have created (For fun and educational
purposes ONLY) that will help you decode those barcodes, and
also let you create barcodes of your own. (Not intended to be
actually used in the mails)  A short About... file is included
that explains how this bar code works.

I hope someone finds this interesting or educational.

     /\     From: Rob Platt (215) 346-7386 or (215) 346-7541
    /\/\          PO Box 200/Rocks & Rills Estate, Funk Mill Road
   /\/\/\         Springtown, PA 18081. 24-Hour FAX:(215)346-6770
  /\/\/\/\
 /\/\/\/\/\       RJP1@Lehigh.Bitnet
/\/\/\/\/\/\      rplatt@Lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu

This contains:

USPS Bar Docs (MW 5.0)     13K   (Mac Write 5.0 format)
USPS Bar Code              10K   (Font/DA mover file)

[Archived as /info-mac/font/usps-bar-code.hqx; 18K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 90 08:45:17 CDT
From: creiman@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Chuck Reiman)
Subject: [*] VaseDance blackout for Darkness

Howdy, NetLand!

The enclosed archive is VaseDance, a blackout for the Darkness
screenblanker.  If you don't have Darkness, you can still view
VaseDance, so download it anyway.  A lengthy ReadMe file is
enclosed, in TeachText format (ie. plain text).  VaseDance should
run on any Mac with system 6.0 or later.  Keep in mind that I said
'should run.'
 ------

Be nutty!
Charlie Reiman
Budding Young Public Domain Software Author

Disclamer not included.
No dolphins were killed to archive this program.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/darkness-vasedance.hqx; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 90 13:30:34 EDT
From: jeteye@cbl.umd.edu (James Love)
Subject: [*] Zoombar-15.hqx

This shareware cdev by Brian Westley is a good alternative to WindowList 1.3
as a way to manage the plethora of windows that can build up on screen.
Zoombar reduces all on-screen windows to their title bar, and stacks them in
the upper-left corner of the screen beneath the Apple.  Double-clicking
on any bar will open that window; the remaining windows stay closed
and in their shrunken title-bar
configuration.  This is somewhat more intuitive than the descending window
titles that WindowList produces.  Try 'em both out and chose your favorite !!

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/zoombar-15.hqx; 43K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 13:48 EDT
From: MORRISTA%UCMCIC@ucbeh.san.uc.edu
Subject: Activity accounting on a network

    University
        of         I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M
    Cincinnati
                              Date:     11-Jul-1990 13:36 EST
                              From:     Theodore Morris
                                        MORRISTA
                              Dept:     MCIC/IR&D
                              Tel No:   513-558-6046 (Group)

TO:  Remote PMDF User                     ( _IN%INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU )

We're using MacIRMA to access our mainframe (called through a
HyperCard script) to look at a patient information system on an Amdahl
(IBM plug-compatible) mainframe.  We'd like to try to log/identify how
many times users perform a certain function on the mainframe system.
We can't ask the mainframe people to write a trap for this; we'd have
to figure out a way to examine/monitor the Mac side and account for
what's going on in the users' sessions.  It's not enough to just
monitor when the IRMA application is fired up (A.M.E. does that for
us) but to actually monitor the IRMA session itself looking for when
they select a certain menu option.  Did I mention this is a light-pen
application (mouse emulates pen), not a text-based interface
application?!

Ideas?

Theodore Allan Morris                 |231 Bethesda Avenue, ML# 574
University of Cincinnati Med. Ctr.    |Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574
Med. Ctr. Information & Communications|513-558-6046 W, 731-3451 H
Information Research and Development  |WB8VNV NTS, U1091 AppleLink,
======================================|MORRISTA@UCMCIC.OA.UC.EDU I'net
No good deed ever goes unpunished.    |      - Go Bearcats! -

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 18:51 PDT
From: BOLDUAN%catlin.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Frehand 2.0 Bug: Joining Text to a path

I've run into an interesting bug if Freehand 2.02. If you have text joined
to a path and have that object as part of a group, and then enlarge or
shrink the _group_, while the path changes size, the text doesn't. So, in
a logo I was designing I had 48 point text on a path as part of the logo.
I needed the entire thing to be 50% as big, so I grouped it and reduced it.
It worked fine, until I had to ungroup it to make a correction. The path
itself had been reduced, but the text was still 48 point! Also, I needed
to rotate it 90 degrees, but when I did that, and then ungrouped, the text
got all screwed up because it was "skewed vertically." (And no, skewing it
horizontally on the path didn't help...) So, the question is this: is there
a way to reduce or enlarge text on a path and be sure that the reduction
not only affects the path, but the text as well?

Kevin Bolduan
BOLDUAN@CATLIN Bitnet Address

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 16:36:22 PDT
From: maa@scn8.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: IGOR version 1.2 deficiency

I recently purchased IGOR version 1.2 and have found it quite useful for
producing publication quality plots. However, I have discovered one major
limitation in IGOR not noted in previous postings to Info-Mac Digest,
including the extensive review by E. Peters. While IGOR is able to produce
plots with logarithmic axes, log axes cannot be reversed, i.e., scaling
running from high to low values. Such a display is necessary for many types
of geophysical data. This deficiency in IGOR should be noted by potential
purchasers of IGOR, who are deciding between this and KaleidaGraph, which
does have this particular capability. I hope that those interested in the
special capabilities of IGOR would also communicate to WaveMetrics, the
publisher of IGOR, the desire for the reversed log axis capability.

Mark Allen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 11:45:29 EDT
From: Toby Loftus <TOBY@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #130

Several years ago there was a program called Script Convert which would
convert MacWrite files into standard Waterloo Script files.  It only
supported bold, underscore, and paragraph breaks.  It was written by
Tom Dowdy and was shareware.

The only version I have seen is version 1.0.  I was wondering if anyone
knows of updated versions that support more formatting, and if there might
be something would convert MS Word documents into W Script.

Thanks in advance,
Toby Loftus

TOBY@BROWNVM
TOBY@brownvm.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 09:47:58 -0400
From: ANDERSEN <sigurd@vax1.udel.edu>
Subject: MacDraw diagonal lines

I sent a message yesterday that mentioned a "mediocre way around the
problem" of wide diagonals - and got the numbers wrong.  To make
diagonals appear properly, they need to be set to narrower widths than
horizontal and vertical lines.  I've included some context & a corrected
paragraph below:

Bill Fillmore <FILLMORE%EMRCAN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> asked:

> Subject: MacDraw II line widths
>
> ... The lines appear to be the same width on the screen,
> but when we print it on the Apple Laserwriter the diagonal
> lines appear to be much thicker (almost twice as thick).
> ________________________

... The problem is in the algorithm MacDraw I and II - and Claris CAD
use for diagonals. ... For a 45 degree line, the width ends up being
about 1.42x (sqrt of 2) the width of a horizontal or vertical line.

One mediocre way around the problem (with MacDraw II or Claris CAD)
is to set up a bunch of different line widths for various diagonals
(e.g., assuming 1-point horizontal & vertical lines, set a width of
0.9 point for 30 & 60 degree lines and 0.7+ for 45 degree lines).

	Sigurd Andersen                sigurd@vax1.udel.edu
	Academic Computing Support      sigurd@sun.udel.edu
	University of Delaware      Bitnet: ACS20833@UDELVM
	Newark, DE 19716            phone:   (302) 451-1992

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jul 90 00:42 EDT
From: FRPULLEN%davidson.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Mac IIfx/MacRecorder 2.0

I was just on America Online, and saw something about a Mac IIfx
incompatibility with SoundEdit 2.0.1.  Wow, deja vu.  I hope this helps.

--Fred Pullen
frpullen@davidson.bitnet

-----------------------------

For IIfx  MacRecorder users, Farallon will soon make available  SoundEditR
2.0.2, and HyperSoundR and HyperSoundR Toolkit 2.0.2   Previous versions just
simply crash whenever a serial port is accessed.

An interesting CDEV accompanies the updated software.  According to an informal
source, the IIfx Serial Switch CDEV may well permit the IIfx to use other
applications that worked on the Mac II line but do not work on the fx.

Their notice reads.... "Farallon has licensed this CDEV from Apple to allow our
Sound software to work on the Macintosh IIfx computer. This CDEV will allow you
to set the serial ports on a IIfx to "compatible" mode, allowing software to
bypass the 6502 coprocessor and access the serial controller directly. YOU MUST
HAVE THE PORTS ON A IIfx CONFIGURED IN COMPATIBLE MODE if you want to access
the MacRecorder hardware from SoundEdit, HyperSound or a product using the
Farallon Sound Driver. Note that you may edit and play back sounds without
using this CDEV, it is only required for recording and getting input levels. To
use, simply drop in your system folder, select it in the Control Panel, set
your IIfx for "compatible" mode, then re-boot. Having the ports on a IIfx in
"compatible" mode will not adversely effect the operation of the computer in
other areas."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 16:46:25 PDT
From: maa@scn8.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: Request for location of CopyEdit documentation

I recently downloaded the CopyEdit desk accessory from the Info-Mac archives.
I have utilized this program to process text files into formats necessary
for importing the files into various Macintosh applications. Usually, I need
to replace columns separated by multiple blanks with tabs. The problem I have
is that the file I downloaded from Info-Mac only included the desk accessory
itself, and did not include any kind of documentation file. To make better
use of CopyEdit, I am interested in learning more about the functionality
associated with the various entries in the menus. Does anyone (author of
CopyEdit?) know where I could acquire appropriate documentation?

Mark Allen
maa@jplsc8.jpl.nasa.gov

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 1990 14:19:43 CDT
From: "GERGO::DAVE"@aeolus.tamu.edu (DAVE MARTIN (MACDAVE))
Subject: Serial Port Problem (fixed)

Thanks to the two people who each sent me programs for resetting the
serial port. Sorry, but in the hectic rush of getting out a proposal, I
managed to delete the original messages and don't know who sent them. The
programs were (in order I received them):
  @ResetPorts 1.0.0
& SERIAL.FIX

The first program resets the serial port to factory defaults. Unfortunately
it did not help, since the settings were correct. I never got a chance to
try the second program -- I managed to find a strange but effective fix in
Farallon's StarController manual. Here is, in summary, the procedure to
reset the serial port configuration in PRAM:

	In Chooser, turn off AppleTalk. Select ImageWriter (you'll need to
load it in - I guess the IW is useful even to those of us who only have LWs).
Set it to Printer Port. Close Chooser, the reopen it. Select IW, and set it
to Modem port. Again, close Chooser and reopen. Reactivate AppleTalk.

That's it. I should have looked there to begin with, I guess, but at least now
if anybody else has a similar problem, they can try this first.

Dave Martin, Macintosh Systems Administrator
The Geochemical & Environmental Research Group (GERG)
Dept. of Oceanography / Texas A&M University
BROOKS@AEOLUS.TAMU.EDU or BROOKS@TAMVXOCN.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 16:28:05 MDT
From: "Bruce A. Carter" <DUSCARTE@idbsu.idbsu.edu>
Subject: Serial Printer Driver

Greetings,

Can anyone recommend a serial printer driver for the Macintosh that will
drive Epson type printers?  I recall seeing these sort of things in the
magazines, but of course now when I need the information (for a faculty
member) I can't find anything.  I recall there being a package out that
would drive several different types of printers.

Bruce A. Carter, Courseware Development Coordinator    = Boise State University
"It is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer"=  1910 University Drive
========================================================       Boise, ID  83725
InterNet/Domain: duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu              = Office: (208) 385-1250
CREN (BITNet): duscarte@idbsu [] CompuServe: 76666,511 =    Lab: (208) 385-1859

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 17:23:45 PDT
From: pwtc!cdj@labrea.stanford.edu (Cris Johnson)
Subject: shared Appletalk db servers pointers wanted

I'm looking for pointers to a LAN/shared database facility to which I could
interface a Mac/Allegro LISP-based exploratory application I'm doing -
i.e. I'd like a box (of any color) that would attach to an Appletalk
network and support some protocol by which multiple instances of my
Macintosh-based program could store and retrieve shared records.
While my stuff is in LISP, interfaces to other languages are possible
and any such pointers would be welcome.

Thanks much,
Cris Johnson
Price Waterhouse Technology Centre
68 Willow Road, Menlo Park, CA 94025
(415) 322-0606

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jul 90 09:59:36 SST
From: TNG Tai Hou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: SUPERCARD 1.5

I have just received the upgrade for SC 1.5. The upgrade is free to all
registered owners. It contains:
1. add-on manual to the user guide
2. a new reference language manual
3. a new quick reference guide
4. 3 disks - throw away 1.0 folder
5. SUBSTANTIAL discounts for
   1. Super3D
   2. HyperHit
   3. ClipSounds
   4. Inside SuperCard book from MicroSoft Press covering 1.5

Bad things about 1.5
--------------------
1. Still not noticeably faster, unless you make a concious to use
   abbreviations, id numbers, no pixmaps, etc...
2. Dosn't support the RasterOps 364 video which outputs 24-bit
   30frames/second video to the screen. Apparently SC was written with
   SB (Silicon Beach) version of CopyBits. Doesn't work in any mode beyond
   8-bit if you have color pictures. Now this is really BAD!!! I bought
   the 364 in anticipation of 1.5 improvements, maybe we should all stick
   to HyperCard 2.0.
3. Crashes now and then when out of memory.
4. The projects that came with the upgrade doesn't exit gracefully, sometimes
   hanging the system, forcing a cold boot.
5. No 'C' source code to take advantage of the extensions to XCMDs such as
   the ability to grap the pixmap of an object. Oh, the extensions are
   well documented, but they are on paper!!! Does it take it much space
   to put them on the distribution disks? Come on Silicon Beach.
6. Doesn't port gracefully either. I have a dialog XCMD that works for
   1.0 in standalone mode (requires extra dialog resources). I save my
   as a new 1.5 project and then as a standalone and XCMD can't work
   because I suspect that the resources were not copied.
7. And the worst thing is that HyperCard 2.0 is NOT supported, meaning
   NO HOT TEXT within fields, and probably a ton of headaches when porting
   XCMDs to work on both.

Good things
-----------
1. Free upgrade
2. Color text
3. Script tracer
4. New Scrolling-List field which implements part of the list-manager
   functions such as selecting a line, shift-selecting, etc...
5. Improved menu handling
6. Fix some bugs in 1.0
7. Improved animation support

But these good points doesn't cover even the first bad point. Projects
created by novices, who doesn't want to go into detail coding to improve
speed, will be VERY slow. And the lack of support for 24bit is unforgiveable.
CopyBits work well. No one should change or modify it.

Looks like I must start to write my own Super-Duper-Card version 1.0 in 'C'.
Anyone knows the format of HyperCard 1.X and 2.X, and SuperCard 1.x and 2.x?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 21:22:53 EDT
From: Toby Loftus <TOBY@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Taking Macs Abroad

I have a friend who wants to take her Mac+, Imagewriter II, and a hayes
compatible 2400 baud modem to London.  Ultimately she wants to use
Compuserv there.  I have read up on many of the issues she will have to
think about, but here is a list of questions I'd like to hear responded to
>From you fellow netters:

1)  Apart from the challenge of connecting modem to a non-modular plug, is
    the phone system in the UK a standard which is compatible with a US modem?
2)  Are there regulations about owning and using a modem in the UK?  I've
    heard that one must have a license to use one in W. Germany.
3)  What step-down transformers have people used and do people recommend for
    use with a Mac + in the UK?
4)  What suggestions do people have for bringing a Mac and software into the
    UK?  What are the pros and cons of shipping versus carrying the Mac on the
    plane?
Thanks in advance for your responses, and please limit your answers to ones
only about the UK.

Toby Loftus
Brown University
TOBY@BROWNVM