Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (07/24/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 23 Jul 90       Volume 8 : Issue 137

Today's Topics:

      [*] Darkness 2.0.2
      [*] Gatorbox/Fastpath alternative
      [*] HC 1.2 Conversion Utility for the Mac Chinese OS
      [*] Hi-Low-Med.hqx Laser Font
      [*] NamedFolder.sit
      [*] SunDesk 1.1
      [*] Type 1 vs Type 3 fonts
      A/UX
      A Postscript Question...
      AWK or AWK-like language on Mac (2 msgs)
      Day Timer Forms
      FDHD DRIVE DESTROYS SELF, LOCKED HD FLOPPY
      Freedom of Press/Deskwriter
      HP DeskWriter & TeX  (Info-Mac Digest V8 #132)
      HyperDrive 2000
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #131
      Network Mac logon UNIX host?
      OpenFonts.Init-Writenow 2.0 incompatibility
      Passwords
      Playing Multiple Sounds with SoundMgr
      Postscript file???
      Strange Mac Plus Problem
      UnMouse
      Upgrading SE --> SE30

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 90 21:40:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Michael A. Libes" <ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: [*] Darkness 2.0.2

Darkness - an extendible Multifinder screen saver system
   by Lunarmobiscuit

Too many people thought Darkness 1.0.1 would make a good upgrade for v2.0.1.

I fixed all the problems people had with v2.0.1 and added some new
features to the SetDarkness program.  I hope this pleases everyone.

Enjoy...

    - Lunarmobiscuit

[Archived as /info-mac/app/darkness-202.hqx; 31K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 90 17:29:02 EDT
From: holla%monique@gatech.edu (Craig Hollabaugh)
Subject: [*] Gatorbox/Fastpath alternative

Folks,

Here is one alternative to accessing unix and macintosh resources without
the use of a gatorbox or fastpath.

In use currently, CAP, UAB, Liaison, and Appleshare. See enclosed picture for
our set up.

Craig Hollabaugh
Analog Microelectronics Group
Georgia Institute of Technology
holla@monique.gatech.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/report/one-network-setup.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 1990 20:04-PDT
From: Ricky Yeung <yeung@cs.washington.edu>
Subject: [*] HC 1.2 Conversion Utility for the Mac Chinese OS

This HC package contains "Hanzi Converter 1.2" and other
related goodies for the Macintosh Chinese Operating Systems,
namely, BIG5 Systems, and GB Systems version 1.2 or earlier
versions.

% Program Overview

Currently Apple Computer, Inc. offers two mutually
incompatible versions of ChineseTalk* for the Macintosh.
They have different internal Hanzi (Chinese character)
codes, different fonts, and different input methods.

Although they are designed and packaged as if they were two
different languages, they are really systems based on the
same Chinese language.  The authors feel that there is a
need for people to be able to convert files between the two
Chinese Systems.  Also, there are users who want to use the
"Beijing" input methods and the "Taipei" font at the same
time, and vice versa. Hence, we have also implemented an
option which lets the user replace the font library in the
"Beijing" System with fonts from the "Taipei" System, and
vice versa.

Fung Fung Lee (lee@umunhum.stanford.edu)
Ricky Yeung (yeung@june.cs.washington.edu)

[Archived as /info-mac/util/hanzi-converter.hqx; 123K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Jun 90 12:58:38 MST
From: Bruce Long <ICBAL%ASUACAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Hi-Low-Med.hqx Laser Font

This is Hi-Low-Med, a laser font which generates normal,
subscripted and superscripted Times characters.

I previously created the Hi-Low font, containing subscripted
and superscripted Times and Symbol characters, because most
draw programs do not allow superscripted or subscripted
text.

Some users of Hi-Low wanted to use the font in spreadsheets,
where only a single font could be used in a cell, so that
chemical formulas like H20 could be written.  But Hi-Low was
inadequate for that purpose because although it had
subscripted and superscripted characters, it had no level
characters.  So, due to popular demand, here is the Son of
Hi-Low, known as Hi-Low-Med.  This font has level
characters, subscripts and superscripts.  The level
characters are typed normally, subscripts are typed using
the option key, and superscripts are scattered all over the
place and should be located with the PopChar init.  To type
H20, type "H" "option-2" "0".  In order to make room for all
the level characters, I had to remove virtually all of the
special math and greek symbols which were used in Hi-Low.
So I do not recommend arbitrarily replacing Hi-Low with
Hi-Low-Med; I personally will continue to use Hi-Low only.

For drawing programs which allow multiple fonts (but not
subscripts and superscripts), stick with Hi-Low.  For
spreadsheet cells which do not allow multiple fonts, use
Hi-Low-Med.

The "HiLowMed" printer font must be placed in your System
Folder and must not be renamed.

This font was created with ParaFont.  Hi-Low-Med is
freeware, as is Hi-Low.

Bruce Long
Department of Mathematics
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-1804           BITNET:  ICBAL@ASUACAD

[Archived as /info-mac/font/hi-low-med.hqx; 20K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 90 13:06:48 -0400
From: David Sumner <sumner@cs.scarolina.edu>
Subject: [*] NamedFolder.sit

Below is the Named Folder INIT that allows you to name a new
folder in the Finder before you create it. Thus you don't
have to deal with creating a folder called 'empty folder',
then locate it and change its name.

[Archived as /info-mac/init/named-folder.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 90 14:10:25 CDT
From: an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez)
Subject: [*] SunDesk 1.1

Here's SunDesk 1.1, downloaded from America Online.

Can anyone point me to more color icons for SunDesk?

[Archived as /info-mac/init/sundesk-11.hqx; 144K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 90 15:48:10 CDT
From: bobs@saintjoe.edu (Bob Schenk)
Subject: [*] Type 1 vs Type 3 fonts

The latest version of Fontographer allows one to create Type 1 fonts. Attached
are two versions of Fonster, one in Type 1 format and the other in Type 3. They
were generated from the same Fontographer file. DIfferences in size, printing
speed, and appearance at small point sizes are quite noticeable.

Robert Schenk
Box 404
Rensselaer, IN 47978

[Archived as /info-mac/font/fonster.hqx; 61K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90 16:46:55 EDT
From: jimg@cs.uri.edu (Jim Gallgher)
Subject: A/UX

How true a UNIX is A/UX? That is, will software developed on a Mac II running
A/UX be portable to Suns, etc. I suspect that their would be no more than
the usual problems, but I am in the planning stages of a project and would
like to be sure.

Thanks very much,

James Gallagher
cs.uri.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90 21:47 EST
From: Michael <MWILSON@stsci>
Subject: A Postscript Question...

I have a Postscript question.  I want to have a background graduated fill
in a box flowing from the top (black) to the bottom (white). I also want
to have a graphic design in the foreground.  The graphic's lines would
be graduated from the top (white) to the bottom (black). Ie, there
would be a pattern of leaves and the lines would be graduated in
the opposite direction as the background.

Ok??  How do I specify that the graphic's lines are graduated??  In Freehand
there is a Postscript effect box that I'm sure I could type in the postscript
command and it would work.  What is the Postscript command???

I'm sure there are other programs out there that could do this, but I think
Freehand would be easiest.  Can anyone help me??

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Michael Wilson
MWILSON@STSCI.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90 9:57:22 EDT
From: John Major <major@bbn.com>
Subject: AWK or AWK-like language on Mac

Anyone interested in a powerful Mac-based text hacking language
should check out ProIcon, from Catspaw. This is an excellent
implementation of Icon, the U of Arizona public-domain (and beautifully
supported...) language, that also can do limited things with windows
and dialog boxes -- no direct calls to the toolbox yet, but for
chewing on text, using sophisticated pattern matching, it's hard to
beat (I've also used AWK a lot, and am happy to leave it behind...).

ProIcon
$175
>From Catspaw, Inc.
Po box 1123
Salida, Colorado 81201
(719) 539-3884

Good Luck!

John Major
major@spcink.bbn.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90 13:44 EDT
From: Mark Nahabedian <naha@yukon.scrc.symbolics.com>

Back in the spring (April I believe) at the Boston Computer Society
Macintosh users group annual "Megameeting", a sort of tiny MacWorld, I
saw a product called DataQuilt, I don't remember who wrote it or who
sells it, and havn't been able to find the literature.  (I regret not
having purchased it then and there but I was somewhat preoccupied with
the ankle which I sprained about a half hour earlier).  DataQuilt (I
don't recall if it is an application or a desk accessory) which serves
the same functiuonality as AWK.  I believe it has a more Mac-like user
interface.  Though some of the big mail order houses have heard of this
product (presumably from other inquiries), none of them carry it.  I
sent an inquiry to Info-mac several weeks ago in hopes that someone out
there in the vastness of the Internet who was aware of this utility
(perhaps the author) would see it and reply.

It is hard to imagine that with the large number of applications out
there for the Mac which are each partially suited to any given data
storage or manipulation task, there are not many tools with the power of
AWK which are available to serve as glue to translate ASCII data
between/among the plethora of different, not quite compatable, ASCII
data file formats.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90 09:04:48 EST
From: Mike Holtzman <HOLTZMAN%SJUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Day Timer Forms

Hello World!

Does anybody know where I can get Laser Paper that tears to Day Timer
size.  I want to print address books and/or schedules on my HP Deskwriter
to be inserted in a Day Timer or Day Runner Pocket Size Appointment book.

I would really like paper that can be inserted in a spiral bound book
(since that is what I have), but I could manage with 6-hole paper.

Thanks for any help . . .

Mike Holtzman

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90 16:51:46 PDT
From: John Clark <clark@rand.org>
Subject: FDHD DRIVE DESTROYS SELF, LOCKED HD FLOPPY

*Twice* in the past couple of weeks, the 1.4 Mb FDHD drive in my Mac IIcx
and a *locked* HD floppy have executed a mutual suicide pact.

It is not yet clear "who pulled the trigger."

This has--among other things--shaken my faith in the integrity of locked
diskettes.

The first drive was about a year old when it failed; the second one lasted
less than two weeks.  The symptoms and circumstances of these events are
virtually identical.  A locked, formatted HD floppy (Sony), with files
stored on it, suddenly went bad.  The damage was apparently real, as the
diskette elicited the same initialization dialog from another Mac on which
I tried to mount it.

I ran SUM II (Symantec Utilities for the Mac), in an attempt to recover
the files on the damaged diskettes.  On one diskette, SUM II found
some--but not all--of the files, and recovered them successfully; for the
other diskette, SUM II cound not recover anything.  In both cases,
subsequent attempts to recover files using other methods in SUM's bag of
tricks resulted in protracted diskette drive activity which I halted via
SUM's "Stop" button.  For the first diskette, I waited a couple of hours,
as the progress thermometer was moving (albeit slowly); for the second
diskette, I was impatient to do other things, so I stopped the process
after a couple of minutes.  In both cases I ejected the floppy.

The destruction of the drive and floppy evidently occurred during this
period of drive activity.

Examination of the just-ejected (and locked, recall) floppy revealed
visible physical damage to the media!  Magnetic material had apparently
been removed from the surface of the rotating flexible substrate, as
evidenced in translucent, white-colored, uneven, annular bands.  One
diskette had a single band about 1/8 inch wide; the other had two widely
separated bands, each less than 1/32 inch wide.

>From this point on, the drive would not recognize *any* floppy; the only
response was the initialization dialog.  Restarting, shutting down, trying
many different floppies, all made no difference.  I tried initializing
various fresh diskettes (1.4 Mb, 800 Kb, 400 Kb); all such attempts were
quickly terminated with "initialization failure." Judging by the destroyed
floppies, I could readily visualize clumps of magnetic material glopped on
the drive's read and/or write heads...

So, it seems that my floppy drive (twice) suffered a catastrophic head
crash.  Is this a common occurrence?  I've never heard mention of it for
floppies, and it's certainly never happened to me before in 6+ years of
Mac'ing.  Is the drive to blame? (*Two* drives!?) Something on the
motherboard, perhaps?  How about SUM II?  A virus? (Disinfectant 2.0 found
none of the known viruses.) Airborne crud? (My environment isn't unusually
dirty/smoky/dusty, but I do leave my Mac on all the time.) I got a good
look inside the second failed drive when it was replaced, and it seemed
spotlessly clean to the naked eye--no visible accumulations of anything.
The two diskettes are Sony-labeled, from different boxes-of-ten, but with
the same batch number.  System software is 6.0.5; many INITs/cdevs/etc...

Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences, etc., that might shed light on
this would be most appreciated.

In the meantime, having just had my *third* FDHD installed ( :-( ), I am
reminded of the importance of frequent backups.  I have acquired new
respect for the dictum that commercial distribution disks should be
locked, hidden away, and *never* inserted in the floppy drive except to
make working copies for everyday use.  Locking a floppy will not protect
against a head crash! (Of course, copy protection schemes that use a key
disk--thankfully rare these days--don't even deserve mention...)

John Clark
clark@rand.org

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 8:26:13 EDT
From: CON-ETDL-COM <contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: Freedom of Press/Deskwriter

This is in response to Jean-Pierre Schneiders' request for info
regarding Freedom of Press & the HP Deskwriter (info-mac #133):

Hi there...

I've been using a Deskwriter at home for quite a while now and am
quite pleased with its performance.  A short while ago I investigated
the different PostScript output software for non-postscript devices,
including Freedom of Press.

I was completely dissatisfied with the setup, configuration, and
performance of the Freedom of Press software.  In order to print
postscript under UniFinder one must install the LaserWriter printer
resource, select it from the chooser (which will wreak havoc if you
have only a modem and a serial Deskwriter connected to the 2 serial
ports on your Mac), then play the "command-K" game of capturing the
postscript output while selecting OK in the print dialog box.  Later,
to actually print, you must launch the Freedom Of Press print module,
select the postscript output file (from the command-k fiasco), and wait
for it to print.

"Spooled" printing under Multifinder is possible, and there is a chooser-
level resource for the Freedom of Press software, but you must configure
your system, using "Set startup" to launch multifinder AND Freedom of Press,
to automatically boot multifinder and freedom of press.  Your applications will
then print to the Freedom of Press chooser resource, but you must then bring
the Freedom of Press application to the foreground (by clicking on the
menu-bar icon in the upper right of the screen until it appears OR by
selecting the application from the Apple menu) in order to print.

It appears to be ATM compatible (its only saving grace), and it prints
some rather funny grey shades, but its speed isn't too bad ONCE YOU CAN
GET IT TO PRINT.

Other applications, such as T-Script, do similar funny things to process
postscript files.  I have not yet investigated the new QMS UltraScript
software, which is built for the Deskwriter and supports both ATM and
spoolers such as SuperLaserSpool.

For the record, my system's configuration is:
	Mac II w/Dove MaraThon Racer cache board
	8 meg RAM
	superdrive ROM upgrade
	apple 8-bit color
	62 meg seagate hd
	1.4 Meg / 800 k floppies
	DeskWriter & resource 2.00 (Supplied with all new DW's)
	system 6.0.5

Hope this helps you!

George

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90 09:37:11 -0400
From: Jim Walker <jwwalker@cs.scarolina.edu>
Subject: HP DeskWriter & TeX  (Info-Mac Digest V8 #132)

Yes, OzTeX is a PD TeX for the Mac.  OzTeX by itself cannot print to a
DeskWriter, but I hear that my program DVIM72-Mac will print an OzTeX dvi
file on a Deskwriter, so long as you can assign it about 1.5 meg of RAM.

Both programs are available for anonymous FTP from midway.uchicago.edu.
DVIM72-Mac is also at info-mac.
--

   Jim Walker  jwwalker@cs.scarolina.edu  76367.2271@compuserve.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90 18:21:14 EDT
From: gshapiro@wpi.wpi.edu (Gregory Neil Shapiro)
Subject: HyperDrive 2000

I used to use a HyperDrive 2000 in my Plus (still have the accelerator
if anyone is interested).  Anyway, last summer, I was able to get GCC
to send me a new version of the Manager which works with System 6.0x
(I used it with 6.04 with no problems).  It is V3R2-1013.  It is
doubtful they will do the same for System 7.0.

						Greg

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90 13:26 ADT
From: "GUMBY SR." <ARPJEFF%AC.DAL.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #131

RE: DATES IN WORD 4.0

Word 4.0 comes with several glosaries for setting the date format.  These are
probably easier, less dangerous and less expensive than using special inits
and/or ResEdit.

RE: ALIASES

The ability to create aliases will be included with System 7.0.
If you're patient you'll find they're well worth the wait.

Jeff Holmes
Apple Research Partnership Programme - Halifax Region

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jul 90 17:08 GMT
From: LAICHI.SPT@applelink.apple.com (Axis, Hector Rojas, Chile,ICC)
Subject: Network Mac logon UNIX host?

To let users of Macintosh computers (both on LocalTalk and Ethernet) log onto
a UNIX host, I have been doing some experimenting, with mixed results however.
Let me explain.

o  I have a LocalTalk and Ethernet network, connected by a Kinectics FastPath.
   The FastPath is configured as "K-STAR".

o  My UNIX host is a Macintosh IIcx running A/UX 1.1, and I have both Macs on
   LocalTalk and Macs connected to Ethernet (with Apple's card).

o  The only software I have been testing sofar consists of NCSA Telnet 2.3
   and MacNIX (which requires MacTCP).

Logging on to the UNIX machine from the LocalTalk side works perfectly.  I can
use both Telnet or MacNIX, and have no problems whatsoever.  Unfortunately I
have NOT been able to logon from the Macs on Ethernet.  I tried Telnet, and
it didn't work.  Neither did MacNIX, both with MacTCP configured for EtherTalk
or for Ethernet with TCP/IP.

My questions are:

1- How can a Macintosh user on Ethernet logon to a UNIX host on the same net?

2- Can anyone recommend better software for remote logon to UNIX hosts than
   the two I've mentioned (Telnet and MacNIX)?  Any experiences?

3- Is there any way to remotely logon to UNIX machines without using TCP/IP,
   using some kind of implementation of AppleTalk for UNIX?  This would have
   the advantage of not requiring a FastPath, only Apple's Internet Router.

I appreciate your help!

-- Thomas Fruin       Apple Chile

   AppleLink: LAICHI.SPT (laichi.spt@applelink.apple.com)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 08:09:52 EST
From: Antonio Bellver <BELLVER%EVALUN11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: OpenFonts.Init-Writenow 2.0 incompatibility

When you use OpenFonts.init the 'Type of document ...' list in the
'Open ...' command in Writenow 2.0 does not appear. Therefore this
program does not recognize text files and cannot open them.

 Carles Bellver.

E-mail(EARN/BITNET): Bellver@EVALUN??11.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90 14:03 EST
From: <JK_APPLE%UNHH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Passwords

Greetings,

I have a question for the StuffIt gurus!  Why does my StuffIt always ask
me to give a password when I stuff a file???  If I just hit return or click ok
it STILL thinks there is a password.  I have sent in several files for the
archives and people keep mailing me for the password!!!!!

So to anyone out there with one of the files I sent in... THERE IS NO PASSWORD!!
Click OK or hit return and skip it!!!

Regards,

Joe Kazura      Apple Computer - Student Rep
University of New Hampshire     Durham, NH
BITNET: JK_APPLEREP@UNHH        Applelink: ST0566
The Views Expressed Are MINE!! Not even Apple's

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jul 90 08:33:17 EDT (Tuesday)
From: Chen.wbst@xerox.com
Subject: Playing Multiple Sounds with SoundMgr

Anyone have any experience with using the sound manager on a Mac?  I have a
Mac SE and am using LightSpeed C.  I have no problem with loading in a wave
table resource and playing a tone, but I can't seem to play two tones
simultaniously.

Thanks in Advance,
Dan

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jul 90 08:04:16 GMT
From: graham@maths.su.oz.au (Graham Matthews)
Subject: Postscript file???

(Roger Kaplan) writes:
>  I know that to capture a Mac's attempts at sending to a postscript
>printer in a file, you press Command-F while you press "OK" on the
>Laserwriter Print screen.

Am I missing something here - I try this Command-F trick and nothing
happens - it still trys to print to the laserwriter (I have version
5.2 of the laserwriter prep and driver and version 6.0.2 of the system.

I should mention that I actually don't have a laserwriter hooked up to
the mac (this is why I want the Postscript, so I can download it to an
Appollo).

I would appreciate email as this is for my thesis, due real soon!

thanks

graham

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90  14:15:22 CDT
From: Bruce <Florman@dsg.csc.ti.com>
Subject: Strange Mac Plus Problem

My old beige Plus was having screen jitter problems, so after trying
unsuccessfully to make the problem go away by simply resoldering some of
the connections on the analog board, I decided it was time to perform a
full power supply upgrade.  I ordered the power supply upgrade kit from
Soft Solutions Inc., which consists of a new flyback transformer and
about a dozen assorted capacitors and rectifiers, and installed it two
weekends ago.  At the same time I installed a $15 AC muffin fan from
Radio Shack.

Everything seemed to be working properly except that now, at roughly
half second intervals, the speaker emits a "click".  There are no other
problems.  It boots properly and runs as well as it ever did.  The
clicking doesn't even seem to interfere with other sounds coming through
the speaker, and, the truth be told, with the case on and the fan
running, the clicking is barely audible.  But it wasn't there before I
performed the surgery, and therefore I'm concerned about it.

Now here's where it gets really wierd.  The clicking does not begin at
the moment of power on, but rather it starts immediately after the
power-up memory test (i.e.  as soon as the disk icon with the flashing
"?" is displayed).  I've got 4 megs in the machine, so the memory test
takes long enough that I'm convinced that start of the clicking is not
just coincidental (i.e.  it's not just a matter of the machine warming
up for a couple of seconds).  Furthermore, it goes away if there is a
floppy in *every* connected floppy drive.  If only the internal drive is
connected, then putting a floppy into that drive stops the clicking.  If
the external drive is connected also, then the clicking continues until
both drives contain a floppy.

The half second interval of the clicking corresponds to the period of
the system VBL task which checks for disk inserted events.  However, the
clicking isn't as regular as I'd expect a VBL task to be.  The interval
averages about half a second, but it varies slightly from one click to
the next.  Never the less, it seems likely to me that whatever this VBL
task does to poll the floppy drives is putting power through one of the
parts that I replaced, and that part is either bad or improperly
installed.  The problem is that I don't have a clue as to which part it
would be.  I called Soft Solutions, and the person I spoke with there
didn't have any ideas either.  She said that she'd have their chief
technician call me about the problem, but he never did.

The parts on the analog board that I replaced were:

	T1,
	C1, C3, C24, C25, C26, C29, C30, C31,
	CR1, CR5, CR20, and CR29.

So my question to you folks is: do you have any ideas?

Thanks
Bruce Florman
florman@itg.ti.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90 09:43 MDT
From: Bernie <BSWieser%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: UnMouse

Greetings netters,

Would anyone who has some experience with MicroTouch's UnMouse please send
me their evaluation of the product?  A prof. here is concerned about desk
space, and finds a track ball difficult to use.  Thanks in advance.

Bernie Wieser
Developer guy
Dept. of Psyc.
University of Calgary, Canada

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90 17:26:26 EDT
From: George <ST701640@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Upgrading SE --> SE30

A few issues ago, I asked people how to upgrade my SE to an SE30.  Here are
some responses:
     There is an excellent summary in July's issue of MacWorld.  They give you
a detailed explanation of many of the upgrades available at this point.
     One of the upgrades is Total System's Gemini 030/25, which includes the
68030 at 25 MHz.  I'm not sure if it contains a math coprocessor or if there is
a slot for one.  But what I can tell you is that it is an expensive upgrade
(around $1000 with the math board, $800 without).
     If you don't mind spending a bundle of money and want full compatibility,
there's also the upgrade Apple offers.  It, as I understand, is the most expen-
sive upgrade, since it offers full System 7.0 compatibility.
     One person noted that he bought Mobius's One-Page Display upgrade, a board
which includes a 16 MHz 68000 and a slot for a math board upgrade.  It is also
a controller board for the monitor.  I'm not sure how much it costs, but there
has been incompatibility problems between the init they offer and the Back-
ground file by Apple.
     Some other possibilities exist:
     Dove's Marathon 030 SE:  I'm interested in this option.  It's a 68030 at
16 MHz upgrade which has a slot (as I understand) for a future math upgrade.
The market price for this upgrade is only $449, which, at a student's income, I
can barely afford.  But it is a better option than Apple's upgrade.  And it
claims to be 100% System 7.0 compatible, although at this point, I don't know
if any upgrade can say that.  Still, it makes your computer almost like a SE30,
which, although in a few years, it will be out-dated by the 50 MHz IIfx, is a
better option than scrapping your old SE.
     There is a really inexpensive accelerator for the SE, which costs only
$250, which makes your SE run twice as fast at 16 MHz.  You'll have to check in
to MacWorld for the name.
     There are some upgrades which will make you're computer beat the IIci.
However, the price of the upgrade will beat you first.
     Finally, there's the frustration option, which I'm sure none of you will
follow:  that is, you can sell your SE to one of those companies which buy them
at 50% their actual value and then sell them at 130% the price they paid you.
Sounds like a rip off?  Well, you might actually find some really good deals
with these companies.  I'm checking it out now.

     And for the rest of you, who aren't satisfied with any option above, you
can wait for the prices to drop, which I'm told, will drop by next fall.  Apple
though, will hold out as long as possible.

George Lai

End of Info-Mac Digest