Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (07/25/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 24 Jul 90       Volume 8 : Issue 138

Today's Topics:

      [*] ALPHA Programming Editor
      [*] CopyVar.hqx
      [*] Display-X-or-Sun-0.61.hqx
      [*] EE.hqx
      [*] GEnieNav.hqx
      [*] Okyto101Upd.hqx
      [*] PhoneBookMgr.hqx
      [*] Quoter121RCMD.hqx
      [*] SendVar.hqx
      [*] unBINHEX for VAX
      FaxModem from Zoom Telephonics
      FullWrite & Trevor Sawler
      Glenn Sowell & Color boards
      Good Mac Programming Books?
      Grappler LX
      Hanyu pinyin font
      HP Laserjet III / Multifinder questions
      Mac+ SCSI Speedup Kits and Keytronic Keybd for Plus??
      MacDraw format
      Mac II and HP PrintJet
      MacMaple problem
      Microsoft Word
      MRI Scans -=> Mac IIci
      NEC Mac-Sync - MacIIci incompatibility
      POP Server for the Mac?
      problem with rest-of-us sound on sumex
      reading, formatting, writing hard disks
      spooling files to multiple imagewriter on a network
      Statistics software for the Macintosh
      Storing Graphics in Oracle for the Mac
      Updating Modal Dialogs?
      Using American Macs in the UK

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 90 17:23:21 CDT
From: Pete Keleher <pete@rice.edu>
Subject: [*] ALPHA Programming Editor

This is ALPHA, a shareware programming editor. Features include:

	- over 100 functions
	- binding of any function to any key
	- unlimited undo/redo
	- 'C' tags
	- unlimited named marks
	- unlimited named clipboards
	- keyboard and named macros
	- online help
	- and Much, Much, More!....

Written by Pete Keleher

[Archived as /info-mac/app/alpha.hqx; 157K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 8:12:29 PDT
From: Ray Terry <rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>
Subject: [*] CopyVar.hqx

Copy Variable RCMD for use with White Knight.  Copies one variable
string into another.

Ray

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/rcmd-copy-var.hqx; 2K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 14:35:09 -0700
From: eta@ic.berkeley.edu
Subject: [*] Display-X-or-Sun-0.61.hqx

Abstract:

'Display X11/Sun Rasters' is a program which I wrote that displays X11
raster images and/or Sun raster images on a Mac.  Color raster images
are supported.  Displayed images can then be saved as PICT2 files.

X11 raster files: decoding based on "xwud.c - MIT Project Athena, X
Window system window raster image undumper."  (MIT Project Athena,
1988).  Includes support for color rasters.

SUN raster files: decoding based on experience with what the formats
look like and by taking a look at "rasterfile.h - Description of
header for files containing raster images."  (Sun Microsystems, 1988).

Questions/Comments/Problems??  Drop me a line...
Best Wishes.

Eric Anderson
eta@ic.berkeley.edu
1904 Bonita Ave.
Bezerkeley, CA  94704

[Archived as /info-mac/app/display-x-or-sun-061.hqx; 36K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 8:14:35 PDT
From: Ray Terry <rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>
Subject: [*] EE.hqx

This is a simple White Knight procedure and font file to swtich easily
between TTY, VT102, and IBM-PC ANSI terminal emulation.  Great for
novices.  Includes the uncompiled procedure to make your own mods.
Details and instructions included.

Ray

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/white-knight-ee.hqx; 14K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 8:16:14 PDT
From: Ray Terry <rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>
Subject: [*] GEnieNav.hqx

White Knight macros for "navigating" thru the pages on GEnie (commercial
BBS).

Ray

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/white-knight-genie.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 8:17:54 PDT
From: Ray Terry <rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>
Subject: [*] Okyto101Upd.hqx

PUP Decryptor update file to update Scott Watson's Okyto file transfer
program from v1.0 to v1.01.

Ray

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/okyto-101-updater.hqx; 105K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 8:19:45 PDT
From: Ray Terry <rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>
Subject: [*] PhoneBookMgr.hqx

White Knight phonebook manager program from Scott Watson.  Performs
utility functions on Red Ryder 10.x and White Knight 11.x phone books.

Ray

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/white-knight-phonebook-mgr.hqx; 14K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 8:24:22 PDT
From: Ray Terry <rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>
Subject: [*] Quoter121RCMD.hqx

Quoter is a White Knight RCMD designed to insert a writer's name or
initials to text copied to the Clipboard, just like those Fido guys
do it.  This text can then be pasted back to WK to show authorship
of the original quotation, like so:
   PJ> Quoter is a White Knight RCMD designed to insert a writer's name or
   PJ> initials to test copied to the Ckipboard, just like those Fido guys
   PJ> do it.  This text can then be pasted back to WK to show authorship
   PJ> of the original quotation, like so:

Version 1.21.

Ray

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/rcmd-quoter.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 8:25:23 PDT
From: Ray Terry <rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>
Subject: [*] SendVar.hqx

Send Variable RCMD for White Knight.  Sends a variable out the serial
port.

Ray

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/rcmd-send-var.hqx; 2K]

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jul 90 08:54:00 PDT
From: "FIDLER::LEVINE" <levine%fidler.decnet@scfb.nwc.navy.mil>
Subject: [*] unBINHEX for VAX

	The following program was taken off of a VAX SIG tape a
few years ago. XBIN runs under VAX/VMS and converts .HQX files
to .MAC, which I upload to my mac useing VERSATERM in Mac Xmodem
format.
	Program has been archived and binhexed with Stuffit 1.5.1.

Michael N. LeVine  Naval Weapons Center, China Lake, Ca 93555, USA
Internet: levine%fidler.decnet@nwc.navy.mil,levine%fidler.decnet@26.3.0.85
(619) 939-2614  avn  437-2614

[Archived as /info-mac/util/vax-xbin.hqx; 22K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 09:57 CDT
From: <GWEON%TAMVXEE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: FaxModem from Zoom Telephonics

Hi there!
I have an interest about Fax Modems. Recently, Zoom offered me FaxModem
for only $129. This is a send-only Fax Modem at 4800 bps. Also data
modem speed is 2400 bps. It sounds great for me. Do you have any experiences
with Zoom MX2400S fax modem? I'll summarize and post it later.

Suncheol Gweon
Electro-optics Lab
Texas A&M University

Bitnet : gweon@tamvxee
Internet : gweon@ee.tamu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 9:00:52 EDT
From: CON-ETDL-COM <contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: FullWrite & Trevor Sawler

Hi Trevor, hope this will help:

I had problems with FullWrite 1.0 and 1.1, but not like you are.  I contacted
Ashton-Tate (even though my tech support 90 days was LONG gone) and spoke
with a techie there.  Apparently they have a fullwrite support disk full
of little goodies that fix FWP problems, such as crashes when clicking on the
desktop, leftover VMxxx files, etc.

I suggest that you call and ask for the disk IF you are registered.

Hope this helps.

George

 George F Tempel ................| internet: contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil
 Vitronics, Inc                  |                     (134.80.0.1)
 15 Meridian Road                | AppleLink: .... D4775
 Eatontown, NJ 07724  USA        | Voice: ........ 908-542-0600
---------------------------------+ FAX: .......... 908-542-1947
 "Look, the Sun's going down!"   | America Online: gftempel4
 "No, you're confused, the       |
 horizon's moving up!"           |
[ end of message ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 10:52:28 EDT
From: CON-ETDL-COM <contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: Glenn Sowell & Color boards

Glenn,

Congrat's on the purchase of an fx...must be nice!

In answer to your query about video boards and the mac, I'll try to help.

As far as I can tell (we're apple partners, so we get some extra info...)
the 8/24 board is definitely NOT the same as the 8/24 GC, and can't be
upgraded to be an 8/24 GC (unless you get a refund).  The 8/24 GC is actually
a RISC based computer system on a NuBus card, handling all (or nearly
all) of the QuickDraw modules.  The presense of an 8/24 GC in a Mac will
speed up ALL drawing on ALL video boards in that system because QuickDraw
now lives on the RISC computer (however, 2 8/24GC's cannot live in the
same Mac for obvious reasons: 2 Quickdraws?).

The CDA advertisement is attractive, but I've seen that combo for less (CDA
typically runs expensive, and being in New Jersey i'd have to pay the now
7% sales tax, thanks to our new governor).  The RasterOps 264 is relatively
cheap now, and we use several at work with no problem.  I'm not sure of
RasterOps' plans regarding QuickDraw accelleration, as Apple and 2 other
companies have different accelleration schemes, with Apple's being the most
versatile but most expensive.

RasterOps is a great company, and their newer 364 boards are available...
you might wish to check those out too.

My recommendation is that if you want accellerated QuickDraw AND can
get a University discount then GO FOR THE 8/24 GC FROM APPLE!

Hope this helps!

(I've no affilliation with any of the companies above)

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 90 11:50 PDT
From: Tigger <GREG@pomona.claremont.edu>
Subject: Good Mac Programming Books?

Can anyone recommend any good introductory books to Mac programming?  I've
been programming for almost ten years, so I don't need a general introduction
to programming, just one that deals with the Mac since it's so different from
just about anything else out there.  Please respond directly to me and I'll
summarize to the net.  TTFN!

Greg Orman
greg@pomona.claremont.edu
greg@pomona.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 21 Jul 90 00:42:00 CDT
From: "MUNDLE, SANJAY" <onmdl@ttacs1.ttu.edu>
Subject: Grappler LX

I am trying to use my Epson LQ with a SE/30.  I hear that the Grappler LX
is the answer.  Has anybody tried out this product?  I would appreciate
all comments on this hardware device, and how close do things work like
an Imagewriter.

	Sanjay Mundle
	Texas Tech University
	ONMDL@TTACS1.TTU.EDU
	ONMDL@TTACS1.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 90 11:03:10 EDT
From: Shih Tung <stngiam@athena.mit.edu>
Subject: Hanyu pinyin font

   I'm looking for a font for hanyu pinyin romanisation of chinese.  The
main difficulty is that there are four diacritical marks which appear
over all five vowels.
   Is there a postscript or bitmap font available which can handle this?

Shih Tung
Chem Eng
The best l'il tech
school in Cambridge

------------------------------

Date: THU JUL 19, 1990 18.20.12 EST
From: "Kimberly J. Rose" <kjr0@lehigh>
Subject: HP Laserjet III / Multifinder questions

I have two totally unrelated questions:

First, I was told about a recent advertisement (New York Times, July
14, i think) for an HP Laserjet III, which would include everything
necessary to make it a postscript printer for the Mac.  (I gather that
means cables, cartridge, software, etc.)  I was wondering if anyone has
had experience with the HP Laserjet III and Mac.  We are, for the most
part, an IBM (ick!) dominated university, and my department just
purchased an HP Laserjet III for use with the IBM machines.   Recently,
however, the Mac has made some converts here, and these professors
would like to have access to a postscript printer.  So we might be able
to aquire a Mac to connect to the Laserjet for people to use JUST for
printing.  Funds are limited, so we need to know what the minimum
configuration to run this is.  Can we get by with a Mac Plus (and a
small hard drive, I guess)?  Or  should we wait for the new low end
Macs to come out this fall before buying anything?  Any advice for an
inexpensive/reliable hard drive for this?  (I don't know what
the university will have to say about purchasing a hard drive--we may
have to purchase it through our computer store, which limits our
selection and will make it more expensive, I believe.  And the budget
may not have enough money for a hard drive,  which will make it nearly
impossible to do what we want.)

Second, I have been having problems in Multifinder.  I am unable to
access any Desk Accessories while running Multifinder.  This has
happened to me on several machines here on campus recently.  The only
"different" thing that I have done is that I put Disinfectant 2.0 on
the machines before using them.  I don't remember if I installed the
Disinfectant init on them before I encountered this problem, and the
problem may be a result of something someone else did to the hard
drives of these public site Macs.  What files are needed in the System
folder for Multifinder to run properly?  I know, you want to know what
version of the System and Finder I was using, and what inits/cdevs were
installed, but I don't know that right now.

Thanks for any help with my questions!!
Please send responses to ukjrose@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu, as my conection to
info-mac has been slow and unreliable recently.

Kimberly J. Rose                       (215) 758-3757
Department of Mathematics              (215) 758-3731
Lehigh University                      kjr0@lehigh.bitnet
Christmas Saucon Hall #14              ukjrose@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu
Bethlehem, PA  18015

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 90 02:36:30 EDT
From: "sal" <sal@grasp.cis.upenn.edu>
Subject: Mac+ SCSI Speedup Kits and Keytronic Keybd for Plus??

I noticed a product called "Magic SCSI" for $69 in this month's
MacUser. Any netlanders know what it does?  In particular, does it
enhance the pokey SCSI chip set on the plus? I'm assuming it's for the
plus, but set me straight if I'm wrong. Also, has anyone had
experience with the recently introduced Keytronic MacPro extended
keyboard (non-adb) for the plus. In particular, I'm interested in
whether it has an "AT" positive keyclick type feel to it. If I get any
informative reviews, I'll post them.

Thanks mucho in advance,

Marcos Salganicoff
U of Penn Computer and Inf. Sci.
Grasp Lab
Phila., PA USA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 90 06:58:06 EDT
From: droms@sol.bucknell.edu (Ralph E. Droms)
Subject: MacDraw format

I recently read the posting by Richard Ottolini <rick@hanauma>
describing the format of a MacDraw file.  I tried to use this
information to read a file generated by MacDrawII, but the contents
of the file don't seem to match the written description.  Has
the file format changed in MacDrawII (seems unlikely)?  Any
suggestions or pointers to code that interprets MacDrawII files
would be appreciated.

- Ralph Droms                 Computer Science Department
  droms@bucknell.edu          323 Dana Engineering
                              Bucknell University
  (717) 524-1145              Lewisburg, PA 17837

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 90 14:42:09 EDT
From: Kathy DuBose <DUBOSE%AKRONVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Mac II and HP PrintJet

Hello,

I am having trouble trying to do background printing using a MAC IIcx
and a HP PaintJet.  I have followed the instructions in the printer manual
and have placed the files Queue INIT, Queue watcher and Queue monitor
in the system folder.  I am running under multifinder and using
Microsoft Works v 2.0.  Whenever I print a document, it appears to spool
it, but then it never prints and the Queue Monitor never comes up.  If
I reboot the mac the Queue Monitor comes up and I can then print the
document.  I know this sounds strange, but on some occasions I have
been able to get some of the word processing documents to spool print
without having to reboot the system, however the spreadsheet files never
work.

Also, some of my documents that print fine without background printing
give me a memory error in the Queue Monitor stating that it cannot
print my high quality fonts.

One last thing, I don't know if this has any bearing on my printing problem
but when I try to open some of my MS Works documents, it tells me that I
must open the documents from within the application.

I appreciate any help you can give me.  You may reply directly to me at
DUBOSE@AKRONVM.

Thanks,
Kathy DuBose

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 90 14:01:13 cdt
From: Glenn Sowell <sowell@hoss.unl.edu>
Subject: MacMaple problem

I am at a physics workshop where we are using Maple on the
Macintosh - I am the "resident expert" (expert is a relative
term!).  We have several Macs supplied by Apple including
two IIfx's.  As far as I can tell the machines are identical
except that one has an 8-bit video card and the other has the
new 8/24 Apple video card (NOT the accelerated one).

Maple runs very well on the fx with the 8-bit video card but
not on the 2 24-bit fx.  The symptom is failure to locate any
libraries even after telling it where to look - both before
and after restarting Mapele.

I have tried the usual things - removing inits (I think I got
them all) and replacing the system with the same one as on the
fx.  No luck.  Also I tried selecting vrous numbers of
colors (colours for you Canadians!) including Black & White.
Again, no luck.

Is there anyone out there who has Maple running on a IIfx
using a 24-bit video card?  I have a personal interest in
this since I am buying a IIfx of my own.  I am/was planning
to get a 24-bit video card but now I am not sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Glenn Sowell
sowell@hoss.unl.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 08:37:58 EDT
From: "Gregory E. Gilbert" <C0195%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Microsoft Word

In the Fall I will be teaching an Interemediate/Advanced
Microsoft Word course and I would like to examine similar
materials from other institutions.  If you teach such a
course would you please forward a copy of any similar
materials.  These materials can be forwarded via BITNET,
floppy disk (I'll return a new one), or US Postal Service.
(If forwarded via BITNET I do have StuffIt 1.5.1 .)

Thanks much.  Regards,

                                                Greg.

Postal address: Gregory E. Gilbert
                Computer Services Division
                University of South Carolina
                Columbia, South Carolina   USA   29208
                (803) 777-6015

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 19:36 EDT
From: FRPULLEN%davidson.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: MRI Scans -=> Mac IIci

The Net,

        A friend and professor of mine is trying to port Magnetic Resonance
Imaging (MRI) scans to his Mac IIci.  The GE Signa signal is non-interlaced,
and his Data Translation video capture card is permanently set to grab
interlaced signals, so that wouldn't work without some sort of kludge.

        Question is, has anyone imported MRI images to a Mac?  If so, how?
The data seems to be some sort of 16-bit unsigned TIFF, if that helps any.
Is there an easy way to import the data to Image, for example?

        Please reply to:   JOBROCKWAY@DAVIDSON.BITNET

                                                        Thanks,
                                                        --Fred Pullen
                                                        frpullen@davidson

------------------------------

Date: Friday, 20 Jul 1990 10:10:51 EST
From: m21743@mwvm.mitre.org (Kenneth Falkenstein)
Subject: NEC Mac-Sync - MacIIci incompatibility

Dear Netters,
       Here is a rather disheartening submission for you. Just last week I
finally got in the MacIIci I've been waiting on for several months. I quickly
assembled it while snickering at my old system (286 PC). Suddenly, to my shock
and horror, I realized that the back-shell of the monitor cable wouldn't fit
into the Mac! It seems there are small tabs on either side of the back-shell
which butt against the chassis and won't allow the screws to thread. A co-
worker got a MacIIcx (graphics card, not internal) and he had the same
problem. Wouldn't one expect that NEC would _hook_one_up_ before shipping!?!
Anyway, NEC knows about the problem and is offering extensions for the back-
shell (of course they're on back order and will be awhile until delivery.) For
now I have rubber bands around my chassis holding the connection semi-
securely. You can imagine the cracks I am getting from the PC jocks around
here. Oh well, got that off my chest. No more MeSsy DOS for me!
               Happy Hacking,
      Ken Falkenstein   The MITRE Corporation    m21743@mwvm.mitre.org
Disclaimer: These opinions are MINE alone; not my company's, not my pet's and
most importantly, not Marion Barry's.
*
*        Kenneth

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 06:30:27 PDT
From: Nick Gianaris <gianaris%JHUVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: POP Server for the Mac?

Hey,
Not too long ago someone asked about at POP3 program and was
 directed to the MacPOP program at lilac.berkeley.edu. This is a fine
 program but I was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of
 software to set up a mac as a POP server? Please let me know if
 you have.

Thanks,

Eric S. Boltz
Materials Science and Engineering
The Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, MD  21218
(eboltz@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 23:45:29 GMT
From: blessing@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Blessing)
Subject: problem with rest-of-us sound on sumex
I downloaded the rest-of-us sound that was recently put in the sound library
on sumex.  It came down OK and I was able to unbinhex it, but when I tried
to unstuff it, it asked for a password.  I tried (I think...) all the
obvious ones, but I can't get pass the password.  What gives?  Thanks for
any help

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 8:52:17 EDT
From: CON-ETDL-COM <contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: reading, formatting, writing hard disks

This is in response to Gary Pelton's request about low level
disk handling in infomac #133:

I might suggest you look at DiskCopy from apple.com (130.43.2.2),
and prowl around the ~pub/dts/mac/sw.license or ~pub/dts/mac/sys.soft
directories where they keep the disk-images of the latest software
releases.  The Apple-built utility creates files that are images of
the floppies they were built from, and it allows you to create images
as well as read images to create floppies.  All of the system software
in the apple directory is created this way: they use DiskCopy to create
a "floppy" file, then they binhex it for mailing; when you use DiskCopy
to process the image you will be prompted to insert floppies, at which
time exact images of the originals will be created.

Hope this helps!

George

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 17:30:10 EDT
From: jjones@lynx.northeastern.edu
Subject: spooling files to multiple imagewriter on a network

Hi!

I'd like to thank those persons who responded to my earlier question
concerning printing to an Imagewriter connected to a Apple Tops network.
The concensus seems to be that it can't be done, at least with the
imagewriter drivers now available.

I have another question.  Does anyone have information on a program
called SuperSpool?  It is supposed to allow spooling of print jobs from
a network of Macs to a Imagewriter.  Are there any other programs that
do this?  Please reply to the address below and I'll summarize to
Info-Mac.

Thanks a lot (in advance) for your help!

James Jones
Northeastern University
Boston, Mass  02135

phone: 617-437-4430

email: jjones@lynx.northeastern.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 90 21:20:04 EDT
From: Detlef_Sprinz@ub.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Statistics software for the Macintosh

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 90 11:42 EDT
From: MORRISTA%UCMCIC@ucbeh.san.uc.edu
Subject: Storing Graphics in Oracle for the Mac

    University
        of         I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M
    Cincinnati
                              Date:     20-Jul-1990 11:08 EST
                              From:     Theodore Morris
                                        MORRISTA
                              Dept:     MCIC/IR&D
                              Tel No:   513-558-6046 (Group)

TO:  Remote PMDF User                     ( _IN%INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU )

We are currently using Oracle for VMS and Oracle for the Macintosh to
maintain a multi-user database of clinical information and vend it out
to a nice user interface.  We hope to use SQL*Forms from Oracle once
it is released for the Mac, but that seems a long way off :-(.

Meantime, we have a BIG need to store drawings relating to each
patient along with their other, textual, data.  These could be little
more than line-art sketches (since the docs currently have a paper
form with a line-art sketch of the body/parts of the body which they
draw upon with pen and pencil as part of the paper Medical Record) but
they need to be intimately associated with the existing database so
that when the user clicks to go to the "card" for Physical Exam, s/he
can draw into a field the location of a lesion, etc., and store it
away they way it's done in paper now.

There are other issues (like having all previous lines be "permanent"
just like using a pen on paper is) but the overall concept is one that
I'm having a hard time working with.  I suppose that if the entire
picture could be somehow broken down into a <32K file, it could be
carried around within the Oracle tables as a long text field (with a
suitable graphic-to-ASCII and ASCII-to-graphic routine on store and
retriev!), but I have no idea if we can really keep the drawings that
small or if there are other precluding issues.

Another approach might be to carry around a pointer in the patient's
record to a filename which is his/her physical exam drawing, and write
code on the VAX and Mac ends which would fire up a process to get the
VMS-stored graphics file, pump it to the Mac, and open a drawing
module on the Mac.

Did I say we're NOT currently using AppleTalk for VMS, just TSSnet?

Any ideas, including shooting down my two above, are GREATLY
appreciated.  We have to get this conceptualized, written, and tested
BY SEPTEMBER 15th.  :-(again!

Theodore Allan Morris                 |231 Bethesda Avenue, ML# 574
University of Cincinnati Med. Ctr.    |Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574
Med. Ctr. Information & Communications|513-558-6046 W, 731-3451 H
Information Research and Development  |MORRISTA@UCMCIC.OA.UC.EDU I'net
Call me up and I'll talk data to ya!  |WB8VNV NTS, U1091 AppleLink

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 90 16:48:20 EDT
From: COMB5%UMDC.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: Updating Modal Dialogs?

Hello All,
   Does anyone out there know the secret to catching update events in a modal
dialog filter proc?  I have some extra stuff (lines dividing elements, hilite
of default button, etc.) in my modal dialog that is not being updated when
the screen is refreshed upon returning from a screen saver.  When I try and
catch it by checking the "what" field in the event record inside my filter
procedure it seems like I get such an event at every cycle through.  Am I
doing something basically wrong, or missing something crucial?  Any insight
would be helpful.
Thanks,
    Tom Schmidt (COMB5@UMDC)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 90 13:41 EDT
From: TSUMA KAVAZI <ROSKAR@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu>
Subject: Using American Macs in the UK

Hayes modems should have a configurable setting (an AT command or S register
parameter) that configures them for use with UK's phone system. See the modem
manual.

As for getting a power supply converter, make sure you get a real transformer,
as the "Franzus" or other miniature (diode) power converters may damage any
electronic equipment plugged into them.  The frequency (50Hz vs USA's 60Hz)
should not be a problem since the AC juice gets converted to DC in the Mac.

There is also a report in the archives called american-macs-in-europe.txt or
something similar.

Good Luck.

Best regards,

Veljko Roskar                        BITNET:  roskar@jhuvms.bitnet
Department of Chemical Engineering INTERNET:  roskar@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu
   The Johns Hopkins University        UUCP:  uunet!mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!roskar
     Baltimore, Maryland 21218        VOICE:  301-338-7054
	      U.S.A

End of Info-Mac Digest