Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (07/26/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 25 Jul 90       Volume 8 : Issue 139

Today's Topics:

      [*] CClock 2.0.3
      [*] macpost-client-10b1.hqx
      [*] PD Sounds
      [*] PUPDecrypt2.hqx
      [*] RoboWar game
      [*] Stock Market Simulation Stack
      [*] SysEnvirRCMD11.hqx
      [*] XCMDs with global data and multiple segments
      Arabic Font & Power Converter
      Bugs in Copy II Mac 7.2 (+patch)
      decompressing .LZH files on a Mac
      Demise of MacinTalk?
      First AID HFS
      Hard-disk problem
      How to compile CAP for A/UX?
      IBM PC character set for Macs?
      Kinko's Academic Courseware Exchange ?
      MAC GRAPHICS TO VIDEO
      Mac IIci
      QuicKeys and QK cache
      Reading, formatting and writing disks
      SHECOM COMPUTERS
      tech Note 41
      Ultrix / Mac Connectivity Query
      Wanted: Color monitor suggestions
      when should one partition??

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 11:03:27 MDT
From: Steve Martin <uswmrg2!steve@uswat.uswest.com>
Subject: [*] CClock 2.0.3

This is the lastest version of CClock.  An application that
displays a digital clock on your Mac screen and allows you
to set various reminder alarms, set chime sounds to be played
on the hour and/or half-hour, and create a Multifinder
Launch Menu.  This is version 2.0.3.

Contact the author at:

uswat.uswest.com!uswmrg2!steve
or on Compuserve as user 75126,51

[Archived as /info-mac/util/cclock-203.hqx; 48K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90 15:43:23 +0200
From: Roland M}nsson LDC <Roland.Mansson@ldc.lu.se>
Subject: [*] macpost-client-10b1.hqx

MacPost 1.0b1 README (July 4, 1990)
===================================
MacPost is an electronic mail system for the Apple Macintosh. It
is developed by Lund University Computing Center as a Lund-Apple
Joint Project (European University Consortium). MacPost is
available via anonymous ftp at no cost.

MacPost gives Mac users access to internet mail directly from the
desktop. The client is very easy to use, and the server should be
relatively easy to setup for anyone somewhat experienced with
Macs, AppleTalk, tcp/ip, and e-mail.

The Client
----------
The client is an ordinary Macintosh application. It is used to
send and receive electronic mail. The user is automatically
notified when a new mail arrives, regardless of what application
(s)he is using. Domain addresses are used. There is a simple
Address Book that allows the user to pick a name from a list, and
send the mail to the associated address. Translation between Mac-
ascii and seven bit ascii works automatically in both directions.

The Server
----------
The server runs on a dedicated Macintosh. One server can handle an
entire AppleTalk internet. The client's mail is sent to the
server, and it forwards the mail to a well-connected SMTP-server.
Incoming mail is stored on the server until the user reads it.

Communication
-------------
The protocol between client and server is AppleTalk. Thus, the
clients and the server must be in one AppleTalk internet, but it
can consist of any combination of LocalTalk, EtherTalk, TokenTalk,
etc. Dial-in access is possible, if AppleTalk is used (eg.
Liaison, Shiva TeleBridge).

The protocol between the server and the well-connected SMTP-server
is tcp/ip. With "well-connected" we refer to that it must be able
to interpret addresses, and send the mail in the right direction.
The server uses Apple's MacTCP (available through APDA).

Required Equipment
------------------
Server:  dedicated Mac, 2MB RAM, hard disk, ethernet card, MacTCP
Client:  any Mac, System 6.0, AppleTalk 48
Client - Server Communication:  an AppleTalk internet network
Server - well-connected SMTP-server Communication:  tcp/ip network
Network Services:  a well-connected SMTP server

Status
------
This release is reasonably stable. We are not aware of any major
bugs in it.

The user documentation is not yet available, but it should be easy
for anyone to use MacPost without the docs.

This is the first English release. We would very much appreciate
your comments about our use and misuse of the English language.

Copyright
---------
MacPost is Copyright 1988-90 Lund University Computing Center. All
rights reserved.

MacPost may not be sold or offered for sale, or bundled with
another product offered for sale, except with the express written
permission of Lund University Computing Center.

You are allowed to copy, distribute, and use this release free of
charge as long as it is not in violation of the paragraph above.

Disclaimer
----------
Lund University Computing Center gives no warranty, expressed or
implied, for the software and/or documentation provided,
including, without limitation, warranty of merchantability and
warranty of fitness for a particular purpose.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/macpost-client-10b1.hqx; 116K
             /info-mac/comm/macpost-server-10b1.hqx; 200K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat Jun 30 19:00:55 1990
From: kaz%nanovx.UUCP@mathcs.emory.edu (Mike Kazmierczak)
Subject: [*] PD Sounds

Here is a group of snd resource for use as system beeps.  Use as you see
fit and they are freeware.
Mike Kazmierczak -- X Systems -- INTERNET: kaz%nanovx.UUCP@gatech.edu
UUCP: gatech!nanovx!kaz

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/misc-pd-sounds.hqx; 239K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 18:00:43 PDT
From: Ray Terry <rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>
Subject: [*] PUPDecrypt2.hqx

PUP Decryptor v2.0.  A utility that applys "PUP" update patches to an
application.

This utility is needed to apply the PUP patches to White Knight and Okyto.

Ray

[Archived as /info-mac/util/pup-decryptor-20.hqx; 22K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 90 10:33:37 PDT
From: Erik van Bronkhorst <erik@rftech>
Subject: [*] RoboWar game

        Submitted for your approval is a game named
RoboWar.  It is quite similar to the RobotWar game by Muse for the
Apple II+.  David Harris, the author, asked me to submit it him.  Any
inquiries regarding the operation or submission of tournament entries
should be directed to David Harris.
His address is in the "About RoboWar" menu entry.

        Erik van Bronkhorst    vbronkhorst@nwc.navy.mil

[Archived as /info-mac/game/robowar.hqx; 274K]

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jun 1990 13:34:04 CDT
From: Michael.Wolf@mel.cipl.uiowa.edu
Subject: [*] Stock Market Simulation Stack

The following binhexed stack is a stock market simulation game.

[Archived as /info-mac/card/stock-market-simulation.hqx; 120K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 8:27:08 PDT
From: Ray Terry <rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>
Subject: [*] SysEnvirRCMD11.hqx

System Environment RCMD for White Knight.

Ray

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/rcmd-sys-envir.hqx; 23K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 90 12:11:15 PDT
From: brad@gobi.jpl.nasa.gov (Brad Pickering)
Subject: [*] XCMDs with global data and multiple segments

The following is the source (for MPW) of an XCMD which handles
the interface between HyperCard and specially written
applications allowing the application to act like an XCMD.  The
application can use globals and have multiple segments, which is
impossible for a regular XCMD.  There is not enough
documentation for this to be used by people who are new to the
Mac, but it can be very interesting and useful to those who
have run into some of the limitations of HyperCard XCMDS.  I
have used this interface to implement a XCMD version of CLIPS
(an expert systems shell).

Brad Pickering.

[Archived as /info-mac/card/xcmd/using-apps-as-xcmds.hqx; 18K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 90 12:45:19 CET
From: Hjalmar Dijkstra <A512HJAL%HASARA11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Arabic Font & Power Converter

I just read Jim Henry's reply on the subject and want to add my tow cents worth
Last winter I was working on a arabic database project in Cairo, Egypt.
I used 4th Dimension with the Arabic System 6.03. The arabic system works O.K.
it does still have some ugly writing errors with some letter combinations, but
it works. If you want to do some word-processing with Arabic I'd advise you to
take a look at Wintext from WinSoft ( A French company). It's a wordprocessor
without any hick-ups. The only negative thing is that it doesn't support
footnotes. AllScript from the Davka company ( Israeli) does however, but this
program seems to crash however quite regularly.

Now about the powerlines...
I don't know where you plan to go in the Middle-East but be aware that most
power-lines are more than noisy.
I advise you to buy a stabilizer locally. This machine stabilizes the voltage
to 220 OR 110 Volt, cleans out the noise , protects you from spikes and gives
you the choice between a 220 or 110 Volt outlet. If you don't use such a stabil
izer you might get into serious trouble with you Mac.

And another thing...
Get dust-covers for you Mac & Printer. You need it when you stay in a place
that's not so far from the desert.

greetings,
          Hjalmar Dijkstra <A512HJAL@HASARA11.NL>
          Institute fo Middle East Studies
          University of Amsterdam, Thhe Netherlands
Acknowledge-To: <A512HJAL@HASARA11>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 90 16:38:22 (GMT)
From: Sak Wathanasin <sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk>
Subject: Bugs in Copy II Mac 7.2 (+patch)

There is a bug in CopyII Mac v7.2 (the last that I received from
Central Point S/W) that seems to manifest itself particularly on
the IIfx, though it affects all Macs. When you press the "Start"
button to start copying disks, it will *sometimes* crash with a
"Bus error" (bomb id 1). The problem seems to have been fixed in
the "FastCopy" program that comes on the "Tools Deluxe" disk from
CPS, so I suppose they know about it.

Apply the patch using a disk editor or ResEdit:

 the offending code is in sector 000A, or CODE res id 1
 look for:  285F 2F0C 4267 A93A 42A7 3F3C 0004 A949 285F
 change to: 4267 A93A 42A7 3F3C 0004 A949 285F 6700 0196

Do this only to a copy of the application, of course, and it's entirely
at your own risk, though I have tested it on my Mac.

There is a second (independent) problem to do with using the "track
Editor" on a IIfx, but this is only to be expected because of the new
floppy IOP (executive summary: don't use "track Editor" on a IIfx).

Does anyone know if there is a later version of Copy II Mac than 7.2?
Is there anything that handles the HD floppy?

For techies:

The bomb is caused by its trying to disable a menu that it has not yet
installed in the menubar. The menu in question is the one that is
attached to the "Track Editor" option. It calls GetMHandle to get a
handle to menu id 4; the Menu Mgr will return a null handle because
the menu has not been installed. Depending on what values you have in
address 0 at the time, this may or may not cause a crash. You can make
it crash every time by using the "Mr Bus Error INIT" from DTS which
always sets addr 0 to an odd-address.

 old
 000B2F1E   MOVEA.L    (A7)+,A4                                | 285F
 000B2F20   MOVE.L     A4,-(A7)                                | 2F0C
 000B2F22   CLR.W      -(A7)                                   | 4267
 000B2F24   _DisableItem                          ; A93A       | A93A
 000B2F26   CLR.L      -(A7)                                   | 42A7
 000B2F28   MOVE.W     #$0004,-(A7)                            | 3F3C 0004
 000B2F2C   _GetMHandle                           ; A949       | A949
 000B2F2E   MOVEA.L    (A7)+,A4                                | 285F
 000B2F30   MOVE.L     A4,-(A7)                                | 2F0C
 000B2F32   CLR.W      -(A7)                                   | 4267
 000B2F34   _DisableItem                          ; A93A       | A93A
 000B2F36   BRA        *+$018E                    ; 000B30C4   | 6000 018C

 new
 ; thank goodness for compilers that generate redundant code (:-)
 000B2F1E   CLR.W   -(A7)                                    | 4267
 000B2F20   _DisableItem                          ; A93A       | A93A
 000B2F22   CLR.L      -(A7)                                   | 42A7
 000B2F24   MOVE.W     #$0004,-(A7)                            | 3F3C 0004
 000B2F28   _GetMHandle                           ; A949       | A949
 000B2F2A   MOVEA.L    (A7)+,A4                                | 285F
 000B2F2C   BEQ        *+$0198                    ; 000B30C4   | 6700 0196
 ; we skip the DisableItem if the handle is null
 ; the rest is the same

--
Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

uucp:	...!ukc!nan!sw
other:	sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk
phone:  (+44) 203 419996
telex:  9312130355 (SW G)
snail:  178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 90 09:13 EDT
From: <CHRIS%FANDMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: decompressing .LZH files on a Mac

Does anyone out there know of a way to decompress Amiga .LZH files on a Mac?
Adobe PhotoShop will open Amiga IFF graphics files, but not if they are
compressed, and .LZH seems to be the most common form of compression for the
Amiga.

Any help will be appreciated...

Chris Iverson
Franklin & Marshall College
Lancaster, Pennsylavania
BITNET%"CHRIS@FANDM"
AppleLink: IVERSON1
PeopleLink: MAC*CHRIS
Ma Bell: (717) 291-4005

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 90 16:00 CDT
From: <CC_BRYSO%SWTEXAS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (William Bryson)
Subject: Demise of MacinTalk?

After reading Apple's stance on Macintalk (Technical node 268), I was wondering
what other users think of Apple's non-support of this product over the years
(why didn't they buy the source code?).  I think that Macintalk is a inventive
method for speech production that any normal type joe (or jane) could work with
and comprehend.  It is used in the program MicroLeague baseball (which provides
a means for the sounds to be phonetically fine-tuned).

What are the alternatives to Macintalk?  Are there any?  Maybe digitized speech
and the mega-bytes of disk storage to hold it?

I was thinking of using Macintalk in an application but now Apple says ONLY for
your personal enjoyment (and incidently ONLY if that personal enjoyment
involves not using system 7.0).

I guess this means that Talking Moose will be relegated to the system 6.0
graveyard.  Talking Finder (possible through the latest version of Talking
Moose) is also doomed.  Macintalk could have been used as a useful tool for the
visually impaired by providing speech (I guess now they will need the Mac IIfx
and 160 meg hard drive).

Personally I think Apple is missing the boat (although I honestly do not know
the full capabilities of the so-called Sound Manager).  We could have had
programs to teach and recite English as well as foreign languages using
Macintalk or a superior (by now I would have hoped in 6 years that Macintalk
would have been improved) version.  Instead we have endless versions of sounds
like the Flintstones, the Jetsons, Star Trek, etc.. which essentially have only
amusement value (don't get me wrong I like these sounds like everyone else).

So Apple, my question is since for political (Jobs probably signed the deal for
Macintalk), technical (it interferes with Sound Manager), and simply
short-sightedness reasons:

Is there going to be a reasonable replacement for Macintalk?

I.e. a system add-on available to the "rest-of-us" for production of speech?
Or is some third-party going to established the next standard and reaped the
rewards from a small minority of users.

In conclusion, does anyone know of any good programs to manipulate text to
speech that use Macintalk.  Speech Tutor, etc.. from 1985 just don't cut the
mustard.  Yes - I know Macintalk may be dead - but it is fun to play with,
and evidently Apple has forgotten how to have fun.

**************************************
Bill Bryson
User Services
Southwest Texas State University
CC_BRYSON@SWTEXAS.BITNET
**************************************

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 90 15:29 CDT
From: "Greg Trimper, Stark Raving" <TRIMPERG%LAWRENCE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: First AID HFS

        Users of 1st Aid HFS:

                I have version 2.26, and the company has not notified me
of andy updates, so I assume that that is the latest version available, and this
information is based on that version:

        1st AID HFS does NOT work with HD disks.  It thinks that any 1.44 MB
floppy is DAMAGED.  It also thinks that CD-ROM disks are damaged.  So if you
rely on this program to help you recover a disk, make sure it will work with
any HD disks, if you use them.

        Other passing notes:
                Mac Tools Rescue's Track editor also DOES NOT work with
        1.44 disks.  The only procedure that they offer to repair a disk
        with ERROR -72 is with the track editor, and I have a 1.44 disk
        that is part of a backup set that has this error, and it can't repair
        it. (Data Checksum Error).  I intend to call them for help.

                Apple's CD SC performs wonderfully under my testing of it's
        abilities.  And it looks better than the Denon, if you ask me. They
        are 8 weeks back-ordered, though, so if you are looking at getting one,
        order soon.

                                        greg trimper
                                        TRIMPERG@LAWRENCE.bitnet
                                        Consultant, hacker, programmer, student.

                                "Now that I'm clean, the cleanest I've been."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jul 90 18:56:56 CET
From: Hjalmar Dijkstra <A512HJAL%HASARA11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard-disk problem

Dear all,
about a month ago I took my hard-disk to hook it up to someone's computer.
Before leaving I parked the head using the software (Storware 1.5) that came
with the drive. I filled my drive, unplugged it and went home. The next day
whaen I was unstuffing some archives I got problems. Some archives were
corrupted. After deleting the corrupted archives I kept on having problems.
I got write errors all the time. I then reformatted the drive. I kept on gettin
g write errors. After reformatting again and making some partitions I now have
one partitiion that gives me write errors. I used SUM II to optimize the drive.
When I try to make an Volume identification File I get an ID=11 bomb.
HELP!
please respond to me and I'll summarize to the net.

my set-up:
Mac 512KE upgraded to an + by a Dove board.
48 Meg. Seagate Hard-disk
Chipmunck SCSI port.
System software 6.1 6.02Z

Hjalmar Dijkstra
A512HJAL@HASARA11.NL

Date: 23 Jul 90 14:33 GMT
From: LAICHI.SPT@applelink.apple.com (Axis, Hector Rojas, Chile,ICC)
Subject: How to compile CAP for A/UX?

I would like to get in touch with somone who has the Columbia AppleTalk Package
(CAP) running on an A/UX system (version 1.1).

I have managed to compile almost all the software, but I'm getting problems
with the program 'atalkad'.  It compiles, but crashes with a 'segmentation
fault' error.  I've tried finding the place where the program bombs, but to no
avail.

Is there somebody out there who has done this before (porting CAP to A/UX)?  If
so, I would appreciate a helping hand!

Thanks,

-- Thomas Fruin              Apple Chile

   AppleLink: LAICHI.SPT     (laichi.spt@applelink.apple.com)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 90 17:01:06 CDT
From: "Jeff Balvanz" <GR.JLB@isumvs.iastate.edu>
Subject: IBM PC character set for Macs?

To all:  I have a person here who is attempting to write documentation
for an IBM PC-compatible program using a Macintosh.  The only problem he
is having is that screen dumps written to a file don't port to the Mac
correctly.  Graphic and line-drawing characters that are used in the PC
screen displays are not present in the typical Mac fonts, hence don't
print correctly.  Does anyone know of a font for the Mac that can be used
to print the IBM PC character set?

Jeff Balvanz                              BITNET: GR.JLB@ISUMVS
Senior Technical Consultant               INTERNET:  gr.jlb@isumvs.iastate.edu
Microcomputer Services                    PHONE:  (515) 294-8683
Iowa State University Computation Center  USMail:  191 DURHAM CENTER, ISU,
                                                   AMES, IA 50011
"6502's FOREVER!"             Compuserve:  >internet:gr.jlb@isumvs.iastate.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 90 13:56:17 EDT
From: Bruce Abernethy <bda@uengr.calvin.edu>
Subject: Kinko's Academic Courseware Exchange ?

    As I understand it, Kinko's copy centers are no longer handling the
Macintosh Academic Courseware Exchange.  A while back I read that there
was a short-term solution and phone number to this problem but neglected
to write down the address and phone number.

    Has the Exchange found a new permanent home?  If not, could someone
tell me who I could contact to order the software (or do I have to contact
the authors themselves).

Bruce Abernethy
Bruce Abernethy <bda@uengr.calvin.edu>
Educational Courseware Project
Calvin College, Computer Center Hotline                    (616) 957-8555
Grand Rapids, MI 49546                                HOME (616) 957-0638

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jul 90 12:51:50 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: MAC GRAPHICS TO VIDEO

I have a RasterOps 224 with SFX video option. It outputs PAL or NTSC
signals. This is fine for capturing specially designed mac graphics
with considerations such as thick lines vs thin lines, color usage etc.
I need to capture the Mac desktop and other Mac applications as well, meaning
that flickering occurs because of 1-pixel window borders, scrollbars etc.
My question is this: Is there a CDEV already out there to configure the
LINETO function to always draw in at least 2 pixels, plus various patches to
reduce flicker?

I have also seen flicker-free video of the Mac graphics. Can anyone tell me
how this done and what addtional anti-flicker (name, costs) hardware and
software I need?

Please reply directly to ISSTTH@NUSVM and I will summarise, as usual.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 90 11:58 PST
From: JOHN LOUCH <LOUCHA%CLARGRAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Mac IIci

Netters,
        I'm looking for some inside dirt on the Mac IIci.  I
understand that it has some problems.  If I could get
information regarding software incombatibilities as well
as hardware, I be extremely gratefull.  I will repond to
the net with a list of these incombatibilities.

Thanks in advance :-)

John Louch
ASD Software
loucha@clargrad.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 90 07:40 PDT
From: Chris Thomas                         <CSMSCST@oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: QuicKeys and QK cache

I have been running an INIT called QK cache (dated 1/88) which was
originally created to solve a performace problem (slow response?)
running QuicKeys under Multifinder.  Can anyone tell me whether
this INIT is still needed (ie, does the problem still exist) and
does the INIT work with current s/w levels (System 6.0.2-.5 and
QuicKeys 1.2).  Does anyone know where this INIT came from?  Thanx.

/Chris Thomas, UCLA Office of Academic Computing
CSMSCST@oac.ucla.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jul 90 11:43:34 cdt
From: Russell Mosemann <mosemann@hoss.unl.edu>
Subject: Reading, formatting and writing disks

   In Dr. Dobb's Macintosh Journal, Fall 1989, there is an article
entitled "WizardCopy for Fast Backups" by Don Gaspar.  It describes a
program which does sector copies from floppy to floppy.  A complete code
listing is also given.  Changes are described so that information could be
stored on a hard drive and then written back to target floppies.  While it
doesn't exactly match what you want to do, I think the source could be
adequately modified for your use.

Russel
mosemann@hoss.unl.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 90 15:16 CDT
From: "Greg Trimper, Stark Raving" <TRIMPERG%LAWRENCE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SHECOM COMPUTERS

        Just relating my experience:

                I ordered 8 1Mb 100ns SIMMS for the business that I worked
for on June 10.  They arrived June 27 via UPS second day air.  When I pulled
them out of the box to test them, two of them had X's penciled in on several of
   the memory chips on the SIMMS.  As I was expecting, they were bad.  So, last
Tuesday, I called Shecom.  The man that I spoke to informed that their Return
Person only worked M W F, but promised that she would call me Wed. morning.  She
didn't, so I called thursday.  She only works MWF, I am told again.  So I call
friday.  She is not working today, could you call back next week?  So, I intend
to call back monday morning.

        The six SIMMS that work, work fine, but they seem to be factory seconds,
if one looks at the general condition of the chips.  (slightly scratched and
dirty chips)  Sending out SIMMS with X's penciled on the chips seems blatantly
stupid to me.    And return service seems unreachable.    So, let the buyer
beware.

                                greg trimper
                                TRIMPERG@LAWRENCE.bitnet
                                Consultant, hacker, programmer, and studen.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 90 16:46:04 (GMT)
From: Sak Wathanasin <sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk>
Subject: tech Note 41

Has anyone mangaged to read TN 41 from the latest batch of Tech notes?
This is the one that is on the developer CD-roms given out at the WWDC.
MacWrite II chokes when trying to convert it, and Word fares no better.
If anyone has a good copy, can they upload to the sumex archives?

Many thanks.

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 90 13:36:57 EDT
From: velu@src.umd.edu (Velu Sinha)
Subject: Ultrix / Mac Connectivity Query

What is the current "state-of-the-art" in Ultrix/Mac connectivity?
In Unix/Mac connectivity?  Ideally I am in search of some sw/hw which
will allow me to mount portions of my Ultrix FS on the Mac and vice-versa.

What ever happened to Mac NFS?  or AppleShare for Unix?   What about
muShare?

The Cayman Gator box has much of the required functionality, but I've
been hearing complaints about the speed: Something like 2-5 seconds to
save a 10-20k file being edited on the Mac onto the Ultrix file system.
Is this typical?

Thank you very much for your help.  Please reply to me, I'll summarise
if there is enough interest.

- Velu
velu@ra.src.umd.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 90 01:05:32 -0900
From: "Reed"  <FSWRR%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Wanted: Color monitor suggestions

After having an Apple monochrome monitor on my Mac II for the last couple of
years, I've decided that it's time to spring for a color monitor. Due to
budget considerations, I plan (hope) to spend $500 or less. I've noticed 2
monitors in this price range; the Magnavox Color Display and the NEC MacSync
(I think that both are 14 inch monitors. I've also seen a couple of mentions of
the Seiko 14" display, but the only price I was able to find was $595. There
were just a few basic questions I had for anyone that has used any of the
above monitors:

     1) What kind of quality does the display have? Would you recommend it?
     2) Will the display work with an Apple 8 bit video card?
     3) Will the display work with a RasterOps 264 or 364 24-bit color card?
     4) Where did you get the monitor, how much did it cost, and how was the
         service?

Please E-mail your responses directly to me and I will summerize for the net.
        Thanks,
                Reed

Bitnet: FSWRR@ALASKA
Internet: fswrr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 90 04:17 MST
From: Louie@system-m.phx.bull.com
Subject: when should one partition??

  Is there any "formula" by which one can determine when to partition a
hard drive?  Is there a maximum number of files (& folders ?) which the Finder/
System can handle?

End of Info-Mac Digest