Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/11/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 10 Aug 90       Volume 8 : Issue 141

Today's Topics:

      1st Aid Kit HFS; Mac IIci; QK Init (QuicKeys)
      Applelink mail
      BinHqx 1.0 DA incompatible with my system.
      CD-ROM Query
      crash of a IIci
      DeskPict question
      general question
      HD de-classify utility
      Help w/coding for NuVista
      How get I rid of INIT 29 ?!?
      Info-Mac Digest V8
      Keyboard mapping for tn3270
      MacDraw format
      MacTools Backup fixed, but CAUTION!
      Persian Fonts
      Source Code For Macpaint-Style Prog?
      Spell Cheking probs in FullWrite
      Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
      USA and UK Modems
      Using Rescolors with Resedit to make color icons
      White Knight Request
      Wyse 50 and or HP 700/43 terminal Emulator Wanted

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 03:09 PDT
From: Gann Matsuda                         <IYI4DTN@oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: 1st Aid Kit HFS; Mac IIci; QK Init (QuicKeys)

The version of 1st Aid Kit HFS that I own is 2.81.  I think 2.82
may be available.  Apparenty, the problem you've experienced with
1.44 mb floppies has been fixed.

John--
The IIci is a wonderful machine.  I've owned one since October
'89 and have not had any serious problems.  The only problems I've
had are with a few older games.  Arkanoid, Police Quest, Shanghai
2.0 and a few others come to mind.  I can't remember them all.
But the point is, 99% of the problems have been with games.  Only
a few major programs had problems, and their publishers fixed them
very quickly.

For a much more detailed list of software incompatibilities, there
are a number of lists that have been uploaded to the Macintosh
Round Table on GEnie.  They are in the software library.  I'd
upload them here, but I haven't downloaded them.  I hope you or
someone you know has access to GEnie.  I understand that the list
is very descriptive and quite complete.

If you are currently in the market for a machine, I can
wholeheartedly recommend the IIci over anything Apple makes,
except the IIfx.  If you are trying to decide between a IIcx and
a IIci, go with the ci.  Please e-mail me if you would like
further info or have specific questions.

Chris--
I've never heard of the QK Cache init, and I've owned QuicKeys
since it was released.  I never received anything from CE Software
regarding the init, even with the upgrade notice for version 1.2.
Have you tried removing it from your System Folder?  If not, try it
and see if there is any difference.  I've never had any problems
with QuicKeys 1.2 and any of the System versions from 6.0.2 to
6.0.5.  I believe that MultiFinder is more stable under 6.0.5.

[QK Init comes with THINK C and is recommended for use with their Debugger.
It is supposed to speed Multifinder context switches.  -- Jon]

If you need anything else, you can contact me on BEN!

Gann Matsuda
UCLA Asian American Studies Center

BITNET: IYI4DTN@UCLAMVS
INTERNET: IYI4DTN@UCLAMVS.BITNET
ARPANET: IYI4DTN@oac.ucla.edu
GEnie: G.MATSUDA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 13:26:50 +0200
From: "B|rre Ludvigsen" <borrel%sun.dhhalden.uninett@nac.no>
Subject: Applelink mail

Can anyone tell how I can send mail from Internet
to Applelink and MCI? I know that mail from Internet
to Compuserve is sent to <userid>@Compuserve.Com, but
it would be very useful to reach Applelink addresses
as well.

[Use <userid>@applelink.apple.com or <userid>@mcimail.com  -- Jon]

Borre :-)
Borre Ludvigsen                borrel%sun.dhhalden.uninett@nac.no
Senior Lecturer                z_ludvigsen%use.uio.uninett@nac.no
Ostfold Regional College                74377.3443@Compuserve.com
Department of Computer Science
Os Alle 9
N-1750 HALDEN, Norway     phone 47 9 18 54 00 / fax 47 9 18 54 55

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 16:37:12 PDT
From: ws@cup.portal.com
Subject: BinHqx 1.0 DA incompatible with my system.

The recently posted BinHqx desk accessory bombs with ID 2 on my machine.
I have a Plus with 2.5MB, system 4.2, a 768K cache set ON, and all external
INITS and non-Apple CDEVs removed.
  Otherwise, this DA looks fairly useful.
-wiley sanders "ws@cup.portal.com"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 13:27 EST
From: Mohamad El Jazzar <ELJAZZAR@utkvx.utk.edu>
Subject: CD-ROM Query

I remember a while ago there was a discussion of CD-ROM players for
the Mac (other than Apple's).  Does anyone still have that information?

I am interested to know about your personal experiences as well.
Whenever possible, please include product information in your reply.

Thank you....

Mohamad El Jazzar                     Bitnet:   ELJAZZAR@UTKVX
UT Computing Center                   Internet: eljazzar@utkux1.utk.edu
Knoxville, Tennessee

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 14:20:04 GMT
From: mbrown%9296.span@sds.sdsc.edu
Subject: crash of a IIci

Here's the scenario . . .
A MacIIci (6.0.4, 8Mb.RAM, MultiFinder) is running VersaTerm-Pro
v.3.1.1 (2000K application alotment) and has a session up and
running with a local VAX.  After leaving the machine for several
minutes, the machine refused to respond to any input except mouse
movement and a unhappy face had replaced the SuperClock display.
This unhappy face is composedof a simple circle with two small dots
for eyes, a small thin frown and a pseudo nose that is made of
clock hands at 3 o'clock.

This "freeze" has happened twice in as many weeks, both times
in VersaTerm-Pro and both times locking up everything except the
mouse.  I've checked with Disinfectant 2.0 and searched various
icons with resedit to try and find the unhappy face.

Inits: GateKeeper Aid 1.1.1, Vaccine v1 1.0.1, CPS Delete Tracking,
Public Folder, SuperClock!3.0, The Grouch (2.0B8), PLI's Turbo
Cache (turned off) and TurboMonitor, Pyro, Responder.  Also loading
(even before gatekeeper and vaccine) is the Apple Communication
Toolbox.

If anyone has any clues, answers, or advice, I'd appreciate them.

Mike Brown
send replies to:
mbrown@um.cc.umich.edu

I'll summarize and post.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 15:12:59 -0700
From: hookah@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Molly McButter)
Subject: DeskPict question

I am having the worst luck with getting the DeskPict 1.1 init to PROPERLY dis-
play an image for my desktop.  I have a keen picture of Arnold in his famous
'terminator' pose (please don't beg me for it - it's on a lot of ftp sites) and
I have millions of arnold sounds and everything - basically, I'm turning my mac
into an ARNOLD machine.  Anyhow, I have found after about 2 weeks of frustration
a brilliant way to get a macpaint file to work with DeskPict 1.1 - see, it asks
for "a working startup screen or a pict resource #0 named 'DeskPicture'".  Of
course a 'working startup screen' doesn't work because it says it should and I
have had my share of the Mac "It should work on your machine" quotes... so my
process is to take a macpaint, about 40K - run it through Vision Lab and expand
it to 8 bits and apply a 256 grey scale to it (apparently DeskPict requires a
grey-scale pict resource).  It doesn't alter the picture in any way whatsoever,
probably because I don't have color or greyscale display, except for the size
which shot up to 110K.  That's no problem with me if it works, tho.  SO, I re-
boot and it loads in my 28 inits and finally ARNOLD pops onto my screen.  Desk-
Pict took the liberty to expand it to fit perfectly as the desktop pattern wouldand it is completely distorted.  So what I'm looking for is either a simple way
to turn a macpaint into a WORKING deskpict document that will appear AS the desk
picture just as it does in its original macpaint form, or some way to perfectly
crop the image to be the size of the SE/30 screen less a menu bar at top.

Or maybe ONE PROGRAM that can do all this?

-jq

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 10:30:20 -0800
From: cheryl@dean.berkeley.edu (=Cheryl Walton)
Subject: general question

How do I go about locating a database that can manage my recipes (for
food)?

thank you
cheryl walton

[I use Hypercard.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 10:42:09 EDT
From: msaizan@relay.nswc.navy.mil
Subject: HD de-classify utility

I am looking for a utility that will de-classify Mac disks: HD's, floppies,
removables, etc.  The product must be NSA certified (OPNAVINST 5239.1A),
that is, write a series of one's/zero's on the disks rather than just
erase the disks.  Any help would be appreciated.

Direct replays from commercial vendors are welcome.

Mike Saizan
msaizan@relay.nswc.navy.mil (128.38.1.41)

NSWC
E51 (Saizan)
Dahlgren, VA 22448
(703) 663-7162

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 09:49 EDT
From: MORRISTA%UCMCIC@ucbeh.san.uc.edu
Subject: Help w/coding for NuVista

    University
        of         I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M
    Cincinnati
                              Date:     25-Jul-1990 09:44 EST
                              From:     Theodore Morris
                                        MORRISTA
                              Dept:     MCIC/IR&D
                              Tel No:   513-558-6046 (Group)

We're trying to write some programs which will call on the NuVista
board from TrueVision to digitize on demand and then store the images
for us.  This is easy to do with their standalone application, and we
have their Programmer's Toolkit, but their examples don't work
(apparently written for MPW and we're using LSC).  I'm not the one
doing the hands-on C stuff, but I am the one with Internet access, so
if you have any insights/experience with pounding on the NuVista
software/hardware, we'd love to pick your brains!

Ted Morris, Univ. Cinti., MORRISTA@UCMCIC.OA.UC.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 14:11:59 CET
From: Klaus Koehler <KOEHLER%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: How get I rid of INIT 29 ?!?

Hello,

a friend told me of some strange behaviour of his Macs (II and SE).
There were alert boxes like "the disk xxx needs minor repairs" or
"please unlock disk xxx".... I told him, it looks like a virus is
trying to infect his systems, but it was too late to do anything...
I tried to run disinfectant 2.0, but if i insert the disk with dis.
i get the dialog "please unlock... " and after that "...minor repairs..."
and it ends up in a corrupted disinfectant, which does not work :-(((
I CANNOT BOOT FROM FLOPPY !! Both Macs eject any disk on boot time and
dont boot from later inserted disks...

Has anybody an idea, what i could do about that?

Thanks for any help,
   Klaus

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 08:29:32 EDT
From: "Bret Ingerman 315-443-1114" <INGERMAN%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8

   Hello all.  A while ago, someone posted to the archives an INIT that
would log all of the usage on a machine (i.e. what software was launched,
for how long, etc.).  The unique thing about this particular INIT was that
it would write the information to a file server (thus a cluster of Macs
would all have their information recorded in one file).

   I can't seem to locate the INIT.  Can anyone help?  Please respond
directly to me.  Thanks.

Bret Ingerman                                 ingerman@suvm.acs.syr.edu
Microcomputer Consultant                           (315) 443-1114
Syracuse University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 15:31:12 PST
From: OPSDRP@uccvma.ucop.edu
Subject: Keyboard mapping for tn3270

We are replacing several IBM 3191 dumb terminals with Macs running tn3270. For
various reasons, it is necessary for us to match the keyboard mapping of the
3191 exactly.

The "Enter" key on a 3191 is in the same location as the "Control" key on a
Datadesk 101 keyboard, and the "Reset" key is in the same position as the
"Option" key. I have looked up the key codes in volume V of Inside Macintosh,
and Datadesk assures me that their keyboard has the same key codes as the
Apple extended keyboard.

This is our problem: Even after mapping the functions to the proper key codes
in the tn3270 keyboard configuration file, pressing these keys has no effect
(other keys have been remapped successfully). Has anyone found a solution to
this problem? Does the fact that these are "modifier" keys mean that they
don't send normal scan codes? (I've been told that our staff has had success
remapping these keys using IBM's bundled terminal emulator on a PS/2). Given
the popularity of tn3270, I'm sure that others must have been in this
position.

Thanks for your feedback. Please Email to me directly and I will summarize to
the net. Don Proctor.

                  BITNET: OPSDRP@UCCVMA.BITNET
                INTERNET: OPSDRP@UCCVMA.UCOP.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jul 90 21:54:27 GMT
From: claris!rick@decwrl.dec.com (Rick Boarman)
Subject: MacDraw format

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>I recently read the posting by Richard Ottolini <rick@hanauma>
>describing the format of a MacDraw file.  I tried to use this
>information to read a file generated by MacDrawII, but the contents
>of the file don't seem to match the written description.  Has
>the file format changed in MacDrawII (seems unlikely)?  Any
>suggestions or pointers to code that interprets MacDrawII files
>would be appreciated.

>- Ralph Droms                 Computer Science Department
>  droms@bucknell.edu          323 Dana Engineering
>                              Bucknell University
>  (717) 524-1145              Lewisburg, PA 17837

MacDrawII is a complete rewrite of MacDraw.  Internally they are very different
beasts.  The file format is totally different too.  We do license the format
(for a very nominal fee) to just about anyone.  Just send a letter to us
explaining why you want the format and what you're going to do with it. Send
it to:

Claris
MacDrawII Product Manager
Box 58168
Santa Clara, CA  95052

Rick

--
* Rick Boarman   *   UUCP:      {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!rick
* Claris Corp.   *   Internet:  rick@claris.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 17:27:03 -0700
From: Jonathan Pool <pool@u.washington.edu>
Subject: MacTools Backup fixed, but CAUTION!

Today I received the corrected version of MacTools Deluxe Backup from
Central Point Software.  The bug that saved the wrong folders in "setups"
when you have more than 1 folder with the same name has apparently been
fixed.  However, beware of a possible misunderstanding of how this
feature works, which I believe is not clearly explained in the manual.
When you want to regularly back up the entire contents of some folder,
you might think you can do this by selecting that folder and saving the
selection in a setup, then opening that setup each time you want to back
that folder up.  This is wrong.  What you are really saving is the list
of all the files that were in that folder when you saved the setup.  If
you later add any files to the folder, they will not get backed up!  Thus,
unless I misunderstand this program, it offers no way to save a selection
of whatever the contents of a given folder may be at the time of each
backup.  Given how I would guess most people manage their files, this seems
to me a not very useful scheme.  But then, I mustn't know much about most
people, since Central Point accompanied their update disk with a note saying
that the wrong-folders bug was "unlikely to affect most people".

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 12:25:35 GMT
From: Hossein Rafsanjani <hrafsanj@axion.bt.co.uk>
Subject: Persian Fonts

Please send info on Persian Fonts available.

Regards,

-hossein
G H B Rafsanjani <hrafsanjani@axion.bt.co.uk>
Tel: (+44 473) 645092   Fax:  (+44 473) 642299   Telex: 9312133292 (GH G)
Post: BT Research Labs (RT3111, SSTF, G06), Martlesham, Ipswich IP5 7RE, UK

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 07:57:03 EDT
From: r.aminzade@lynx.northeastern.edu
Subject: Source Code For Macpaint-Style Prog?

I'd like to get my hands on some source code for a simple macpaint
style program.  Couldn't find any at sumex-aim/info.mac.  I'm particularly
interested in how things like the pencil and lasso are implemented.  Any
ideas on where in the internet I might go looking for such a thing?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 21:59:51 CDT
From: "Anand Rao" <TC.AE0@isumvs.iastate.edu>
Subject: Spell Cheking probs in FullWrite

Hi:

I've noticed a very strange problem with the latest version of
FullWrite Professional (Version 1.1, I think).  I wonder if
anybody else had experienced the same problem.

When I set the "Go to reference when spell checking" option to
off, and do a spell check on a document, the misspelled words are
flagged, as expected.  However, when I accept the replacement
(or the correct spelling offered by the application) word, it
is placed where the cursor was left when spell checking began,
instead of replacing the misspelled word!  By the time multiple
corrections are done, I end up with a long string of words with
correct spelling (they aren't separated by spaces) at the cursor
point.  The system also hung up on me a couple of times when I
was doing spelling correction in this mode.  No problems when the
application is set to go to the reference when spell checking.
Any suggestions? or similar stories...just so I can be assured
that its a bug in the application..and not my fault!

My system configurations:
SE/30 w/40 meg hard drive; 5 meg ram;  multifinder

Thanks.
---anand

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 19:59:35 -0400
From: drz@po.cwru.edu (David R. Zinkin)
Subject: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Hello,
   First, thanks to everyone who helped me obtain a copy of the
demonstration version of Synchronicity.  It seems to be a great
program -- quite unusual and relaxing!

   Now, I have an unusual request.  A co-worker of mine (who has
no access to the network) asked me for pictures of the Teenage
Mutant Ninja Turtles.  I haven't seen any in the Info-Mac archives,
so I thought I'd turn to fellow Mac'ers for help.  Does anyone have
any computer-usable (I think that's the right term) pictures of the
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?  If not, can anyone direct me to another
FTP or mail-server site where I can find them?  The pictures are going
to be used on a Mac, but thanks to the recent purchase (by my co-worker)
of Adobe Photoshop and other graphics utilities, can be in ANY color
or black-and-white format -- MacPaint, PICT, PICT2, TIFF, color TIFF,
PixelPaint, GIF, SuperPaint, Amiga IFF, or whatever is available.
(And I do mean ANY format -- my co-worker has two young sons who love
the Turtles and would love any available pictures!)

   If it's not a lot of trouble, please post the pictures to the Info-Mac
archives or send them to me (drz@po.cwru.edu)  in BinHex form.  But if
it's a problem to post them or send them to me, please send me E-mail
or post a message directing me to the proper people or places.  If
other people express interest, I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks again,
-- Dave Zinkin
(drz@po.cwru.edu)

--
David Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu) - Nervous PreMed Chemist at Large
"I'd Rather Be In Rochester -- It's Got It!"

Life's a beach -- that explains the grades which are below C level.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 09:43:08 PDT
From: GLEN%CALSTATE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: USA and UK Modems

The Bell USA modem uses tones that actually screw up European phone
systems. However some USA modems can be switched from Bell to CCIT(sp).
coding.

Pre-Thatcher there were rules about modems - because the government
run phone system had a monopoly of phone equipment. I think
this has changed.

The voltages are twice as much and the mains has a differnet
frequency - however converters aren't to difficult to come by (easier
than here at least).

I've never moved a Mac to the UK - I moved some disks and discovered
that the European keyboards are different to the USA ones and needed
the LOCALIZER program to reconfigure the operating system to the new
keyboard.

I can't help with the plugs and things since I left too long ago.

I hope this helps
dick botting, expatriot, San bernardino California 92407
              expatriat!
and lousy typist.
:-)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 19:28 EDT
From: FRIEDMAN@BIOVAX.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: Using Rescolors with Resedit to make color icons

I recently downloaded SunDesk 1.1 from a bulletin board.  Many icons are nice,
however, I'd like to add some of my own.  Tom Poston of nOne recommended using
Recolors with Resedit to accomplish this task.  He mentioned that Recolors had
documentation to support this task.  When I obtained Recolors, I found no such
documentation.  I am stumped.  How do I use Recolors with Resedit?  Where are
the instructions promised?
Rich
Friedman@MBCL.rutgers.edu
Friedman@biovax.rutgers.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 09:21:49 -0700
From: CEBESS%KOESS.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com       (CEBESS)
Subject: White Knight Request

I was wondering if anyone has a code segment that would cause a file to launch
its owner (under Multi-finder). I would use this code on a utility to cause a
White Knight procedure to run at a specific time (for example). Another
analogous problem would be to cause a file to be printed by its owner
application at a specific time (on something other than a laserwriter).

Charles E. Bess                 Internet: CEBESS%KOESS.gm@HAC2ARPA.hac.com
Electronic Data Systems         Dial-8  : 8-360-5646
Suite 100C                      AT&T    : (317) 240-5646
2601 Fortune Circle East,       FAX     : (317) 240-5622
Indianapolis, IN 46241-5513     CPS     : 72437,3132
                                America OnLine : CEBess

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 16:57:24 EDT
From: "Hugh D. Meier" <HUGH@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Wyse 50 and or HP 700/43 terminal Emulator Wanted

I am looking for a mac terminal emulation program to emulate a WYSE 50
and/or an HP 700/43 terminal.   If anyone can help, please post reply or
send E-mail to:
<HUGH@BROWNVM.bitnet>.  I will post summary of responses that come directly to
my mail box.

Thanks in advance!