Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/13/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 12 Aug 90       Volume 8 : Issue 144

Today's Topics:

      Appleworks Mac
      Audio Digitizer comments and questions
      Automatic Shut Down Software
      Background printing for ImageWriter
      Background SMTP mail wanted
      CNTL id for Button in CButton class of TC 4.0
      Disk labelling Software
      Electronic mail demo Hypercard stack wanted
      GCC hard drives
      Good Ram Disk needed
      IGOR version 1.22: enhanced capability
      Liason
      List folder size, show trashcan & diskicon (again!)
      Mac <-> PC database management systems
      MacPOP 1.5
      Multifinder Problem
      Need sublaunching / chaining info
      Network Mac logon UNIX host
      Newer appletalk
      OCRB 12 points font needed.
      OS scripting language needed
      Printing from UNIX to LaserWriter
      Problem with SID-II
      Pyro! 4.0 and AutoBlack
      Question
      QuicKeys / CursorAnimator Incompatibility
      System Font/Size in KanjiTalk 6.0.4
      Test page toggle code
      Video Board for Mac

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 14:27:44 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Appleworks Mac

I see in today's (7/30) InfoWorld that Claris will ship AppleWorks Mac
within a year.  The product will include "most of" the modules in the
IIgs version (why wait? Buy a IIgs today :-)

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 15:59:02 EDT
From: bkirsch@nadc.nadc.navy.mil (B. Kirsch)
Subject: Audio Digitizer comments and questions

   I have built and I am using the SID-II digitizer and I recommend it highly.
It needs no external power, is small (2"x4" sans case) has built in
electret microphone and input jacks for external line or mic.
I am using the program SoundWave (upgrade to SoundCap that I bought with
my origianl MacNifty digitizer), not the best program but it works
(I like SoundCap better).  I bought the "upgrade" to SoundWave ($25)
version 1.1 which only made it also compatible with the Mac II line
(excluding IIfx).  But this version is noticably noisier than v1.0.
(I think it is an interupt problem that was meant to fix the Mac II problem).

   I would like to know if there are any shareware or PD programs that take
advantage of digitized sounds for use in voice mail (over Apple Talk
like Braodcast) or reminders (a talking alarm clock with multiple events).
I think these would be useful applications.

That's all for now.  Thanks for listening.

Barry Kirsch
bkirsch@nadc.arpa

[Hey Greeny, talk to this guy! -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 14:59:12 -0500
From: Steven Nygard <nygard@mailbox.mail.umn.edu>
Subject: Automatic Shut Down Software

Question:

Is anyone aware of any programs that will automatically shut down a Mac II at a
specific time or after a specified amount of inactivity?

Please send responses to nygard@mailbox.mail.umn.edu and I'll summarize to the
net.
Thank you

nygard@mailbox.mail.umn.edu
steven@pnet51.orb.mn.org

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 90 14:23:47 EDT
From: wang@pennmess.physics.upenn.edu ( Huangxin Wang)
Subject: Background printing for ImageWriter

Hi, Everyone,
	There is a utility called SuperSpool to do the background printing
for ImageWriter (for which background printing is really necessary). (Sometime
ago a netter also ask the same question.)  SuperSpool is not available on
sumex now, so I have to ask the fileserver at Ireland site to send me one:

FILESERV@IRLEARN (command:  INDEX NEWMAC, GET filespec)

But so far I haven't been able to get it work, even I follow the instruction
came with the file.  Can anyone who is now using it give me more hint about
how to install it?  Is that any reason (bugs?) that it was removed from
the sumex archive?
		Huangxin Wang, University of Pennsylvania

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 10:17:10 PDT
From: jplpds::mslade@jato.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: Background SMTP mail wanted

We would like information on a Mac application that provides background
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol *WITH* notification that mail has arrived to
the user *WITHOUT* need for a dedicated Macintosh server. We are aware of
MacPost and TechMail, and both are close but lacking. MAcPost requires a
dedicated Mac; TechMail requires an ethernet<->LocalTalk hardware bridge.
A later version of TechMail WITH notification implemented might work. Last we
checked at MIT, they were still on the original release but maybe someone else
out there has implemented it? Thanks in advance for any help. Try an Internet
<->SPAN gateway if mail to mslade@jpl-pds.jpl.nasa.gov fails. The SPAN node is
JPLPDS:: and user is MSLADE. (don't buy an Excelan ethernet board for your
VAX).  You might also try marty@radarsun.jpl.nasa.gov-this should be in host
tables soon.

Opinions above are my own, of course, and do not reflect policy of Caltech or
JPL.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 90 12:15 EDT
From: Gordon Watts <GWATTS@ruthep.rutgers.edu>
Subject: CNTL id for Button in CButton class of TC 4.0

Hi y'all,
  I am trying to write an alert/dialog class in think C 4.0 *without* my trusty
IM I-V (I'm away form home for a while).  I am trying to create a button useing
the CButton class.  I don't know what to use as the CNTL id number.  Can anyone
tell me?

  I have used ResEdit to try to find a likely candidate -- but not yet.  Nor do
I find an example in the TC stuff.

	Gordon.

Gordon Watts
  BITNET:	watts@uorhep
  internet:	gwatts@rutphy.rutgers.edu
  Slownet:	Gordon Watts
		Dept. of Physics and Astr
		Univ. of Rochester
		Rochester, NY 14627-0011

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 JUL 90 15:05:01 GMT
From: RW_GRIFFITHS%VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Disk labelling Software

Does anyone out there know of any disk labelling software that is available
either in the public domain or otherwise?
Rob Griffiths
Computing Department
The Open University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 90 10:57 EST
From: <FILLMORE%EMRCAN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Electronic mail demo Hypercard stack wanted

I was wondering if anyone has seen or developed a Hypercard stack to
demonstrate electronic mail concepts.  What I have in mind would include a bit
of animation showing the user's message travelling around the word on a map
with zooming out from the source and zooming in on the destination.  If I
can't find one I will probably develop one myself (oriented towards our email
systems).

________________________
Bob Fillmore, Systems Software & Communications     BITNET:  FILLMORE@EMRCAN
  Computer Services Centre,                         BIX:     bfillmore
  Energy, Mines, & Resources Canada                 Voice:   (613) 992-2832
  588 Booth St., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1A 0E4   FAX:     (613) 996-2953

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 90 19:42 EST
From: <DLARRICK%TUFTS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: GCC hard drives

My place of work recently received a brochure from GCC Technologies describing
their product line.  On page 5, they offer to sell "current FX/FI owners" (this
includes me) their newest disk management software for $49 (and include SUM II
for $80 more).  My question to the populace at large is: Has anyone used this
software, and is it worth the $49? (I'm not really interested in SUM II.)
In particular, how is the print spooling (Imagewriter) software?  The one
supplied with my drive died with the advent of Multifinder, and I have
searched ever since (off and on) for a replacement that works well.

As usual, please reply to me and if interest warrants I will summarize.

Thank you,
Doug Larrick
dlarrick@tufts.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 11:29 EDT
From: When I grow up I wanna be a Redneck <ACSAZ%SEMASSU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Good Ram Disk needed

                                 Bitnet adrs: -> S10891KH@SEMASSU, 30-JUL-1990

    Any recommendations for a good, large Ram Disk??  Sort of something
like the Ram disk of MAXIMA but with out the need for 4 meg simms.

                                   - Alex Zavatone (Zav)
                                     Software Engineeeer
                                     PCSD Mac - Lotus
Please reply to S10891KH@SEMASSU or
IN%"azavatone@ldbvax.dnet.lotus.com"
thanks B->

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 90 12:44:39 PDT
From: maa@scn8.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: IGOR version 1.22: enhanced capability

I just received version 1.22 of IGOR, which is being sent to all registered
owners of version 1.20. Besides fixing various bugs in version 1.20, version
1.22 includes the new feature of supporting reversed log axes (scaling from
high to low values). IGOR now has an important capability that I just
recently reported to Info-Mac Digest as being missing in version 1.20. With
this enhanced functionality, IGOR seems to have all the capabilities I need
to produce publication quality graphics.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 14:24:33 -0400
From: Jeffrey N. Bickart <jnbst2@unix.cis.pitt.edu>
Subject: Liason

Is there a copy of the ShareWare of FreeWare version of liason available on the
Sumex archives?

Jeff Bickart
jnbst2@unix.cix.pitt.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 90 14:11:38 EDT
From: wang@pennmess.physics.upenn.edu ( Huangxin Wang)
Subject: List folder size, show trashcan & diskicon (again!)

Hi, Everyone,
	I post a summary several weeks ago for the responses I got about
listing the folder size (not through "Get Info"!) like "du" in UNIX, and
showing the trashcan and diskicon in Finder when using the MultiFinder.
Basically I should said there are no solutions for it so far.  Especially
the second one, I think it's a bug in Finder.  Here I have more responses
coming from Larry Rosenstein in Apple Computer on my questions:

---------------  quote  ---------------------------
As far as I know that's the only way right now.  In the alpha versions of
System 7, there is an option to display folder sizes.  (Although there's no
guarantee that this will remain in the final version.)

>people mentioned to me that beta-version of MultiFinder 6.1b9 can set aside
>the windows of background application,  but I haven't test it yet.  Again,

Again this is supposed to be a standard feature of System 7.

> Is Apple want to patch these up in future version of System 6.x, rather than
> wait until System 7?

I don't know what features are planned for future releases.  The System 6.x
versions must run on a 1Mb machine, so there isn't much room to add new
features.

>disk icon and trashcan are part of the Finder "window", thus should be
>show at the same level as other windows in Finder (So I think this is a
>bug that the trashcan and diskicon are hidden by background windows).

Not only can you hide groups of windows in System 7, but you can also make
aliases to the trash and any disk.  These aliases can be put in a Finder
window.  Opening the alias causes the original icon to be opened; dropping
something in them put is in the original.

>I think in the new version of Finder, when "show by name" in View menu
> is selected, the title line should be the same as "show by icon" which
> containing disk size and available size.  (The current version Finder has
> a line of "Name   Last Modified ..." which is really unneccesary.

I think this is fixed in System 7 also, but I don't recall for sure.

>       Is that any way (e-mail?) that a Mac user can offer their suggestions
>to Apple?

There is no centralized address for suggestions.  The Human Interface people
have an address (MacInterface@AppleLink.Apple.COM) which can be used for
user interface suggestions or comments.

There's also a mechanism for reporting bugs.  For best results, you should
FTP a copy of the bug reporting tool from Apple.COM and use that tool.

Beside this response from Apple, Peter Carleson mentioned to me that the old
version of Finder (maybe 4.x?) can show the size of folder in the Finder,
just like the size of a file.  However with the advent of big hard disk,
the recalculation of folder size might be very slow that Apple took this
feature out.
Also several people (sorry, I forget the names...) mention that I can use
the Blast FKey (in sumex) to blast a hole in the background window to see
the trashcan and diskicon.  Quite cute, but I hope Apple won't recommend to
its customers about this.

	Thanks again to all who took your time to reply my questions!

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 90 10:04:24 -0500
From: s-klefstad@uiuc.edu
Subject: Mac <-> PC database management systems

We are setting up a LAN with Mac and IBM workstations.  We're looking for a
database management system that both the Mac and IBM people can use, each
directly accessing the same files on the server.  Is anyone using a DBMS
that both their Mac and IBM users are happy with?

Please email directly to me and I'll summarize for the net.  Thanks.
--- Sue Klefstad
klefstad@uiuc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 16:24:48 ITA
From: Alfonso Fuggetta <ALFONSO%IMICEFR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacPOP 1.5

     Dear netters,

     I have recently downloaded from nic.funet.fi a mail software called
     MacPOP. It has been developed at NASA Ames Center (Moffett Field -
     California).

     It seems to be a good program but I have not been able to have it working
     yet.

     The problem seems to be the POP program running on the Unix machine: I
     have tried both the MH "popd" and the "pcpopd" shipped with the IBM PC
     version of TCP/IP to connect PCs to a Unix server.
     (looking at the code, they seem to run different communication protocols).

     In the first case I was not able neither to get connected, while in the
     second one I got stuck after the initial "you have mail"-like message.

     In the documentation of MacPOP they say only that you need a
     machine that uses the Post Office Protocol.

     Does anyone know which version of the so-called POP program it is
     needed and how one can obtain it?

     Does anyone know how I can contact the developers of MacPOP
     (fax number, e-mail address)?

     Thanks

     Alfonso Fuggetta                Please reply at alfonso at imicefr.bitnet
     Senior Researcher

     CEFRIEL
     Via Emanueli, 15
     20126 Milano (Italy)
Acknowledge-To: <ALFONSO@IMICEFR>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 15:44 EDT
From: Jane Hesler <HESLER@ruby.vcu.edu>
Subject: Multifinder Problem

I can not access my DA's under Multifinder.  I am using System 6.0.5.
The DA's are accessable under Finder but when I install Multifinder
and try to use a DA I just get a beep.  Has anyone experienced this
problem?

[It sounds like you are out of memory.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 90 11:16 GMT+2
From: "Povl H. Pedersen - Yet Another C-programmer" <ECO8941@ecostat.aau.dk>
Subject: Need sublaunching / chaining info

I am currently working on an application which will allow me to create
small applications which when executed will just start another program,
and then kill themself. I will need to be able to do this under both
multi- and uni-finder.

The program will, when finished, allow you to create a small application
with any signature you want. You will probably want to create a small
application with signature MACA which sublaunches Word, FullWrite or any
other wordprocessor you are using.
This will allow you to click on a MacWrite document, and then have your
favourite wordprocessor open it.

Please send ANY info on sublaunching/chaining to me,

thanks,
Povl H. Pedersen

InterNet:  eco8941@ecostat.aau.dk

[This program already exists under util/macwrite-ii-launcher.hqx  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: 01 Aug 90 16:02 GMT
From: LAICHI.SPT@applelink.apple.com (Axis, Hector Rojas, Chile,ICC)
Subject: Network Mac logon UNIX host

Here is a summary of the information I got in response to a question about
logging on to UNIX hosts from Macintoshes connected via AppleTalk:

o  I reported some problems with NCSA Telnet, but they were solved by editing
   a configuration file (a text file) that accompanies the program.  One
   should also be aware of the fact that there are TWO versions of NCSA Telnet,
   one for usage with Apple's MacTCP driver, and one for usage without.

o  Regarding "better" software for remote logon to UNIX hosts than the two
   I mentioned (Telnet and MacNIX), people mentioned several commercial
   products, but said that they didn't necessarily consider them "better".
   NCSA Telnet is 100% free, and reliable.

   Those mentioned were: TCP/Connect by Intercon, White Pines with programs
   doing VT100, VT220, and VT240 emulation, and Apple's MacX X Window Server.

o  Unfortunately nobody had heard of any way to remotely logon to UNIX
   machines without using TCP/IP (by using some kind of implementation of
   AppleTalk for UNIX, for example).  I asked this, because this would have
   the advantage of not requiring a costly FastPath; you would be able to use
   Apple's Internet Router on a nondedicated Macintosh.

Muchas gracias to all those that replied!

-- Thomas Fruin                Apple Chile

   AppleLink: LAICHI.SPT       (laichi.spt@applelink.apple.com)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 90 23:53 CST
From: <NBEHR%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Newer appletalk

I'm trying out the Lund MacPost mail package on a small AppleTalk
network. Since most machines are Plus'es, they don't have the right
version (48 or later) of AppleTalk loaded when they run. The new
version for older machines apparently comes with AppleShare server
software (which we don't have). Is it legal to use the new Apple
Talk without buying other software? If so, would some kind soul
e-mail me a copy? Thanks a million in advance. Eric
[nbehr@ecncdc.bitnet]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 90 09:50 N
From: <INGUILOD%CNEDCU51.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: OCRB 12 points font needed.

I need the ORC-B font (in fact 13 chars: 0123456789<+>). Any information will
be wellcome and a bitmap file if possible.
Thank's in advance.
Joel
Email: inguilod@nedcu51.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 01 Aug 90 16:02 GMT
From: LAICHI.SPT@applelink.apple.com (Axis, Hector Rojas, Chile,ICC)
Subject: OS scripting language needed

There are reportedly some very sophisticated programs for the Microsoft Windows
environment that allow you to control the user interface with some kind of
scripting language.  The language is powerful, and gives you full access to the
operating system.  In the Macintosh world, however, we seem to be stuck with
QuicKeys and MacroMaker while everybody is waiting for the release of
AppleScript in System 7.0 (or 8.0?).

Or am I mistaken?  What "scripting" package can people recommend me for
controlling a program's user interface?  I've briefly tried QuicKeys and
MacroMaker, and heard of Tempo, but I'm no expert on the matter.  Maybe I'm
overlooking features in these programs.  Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 09:28:20 EDT
From: Gary Menszyk <GRMENSZ%ERENJ.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Printing from UNIX to LaserWriter

I have a number of coworkers who have Silicon Graphics workstations
who would like to be able to send PostScript output directly to a
LaserWriter.  Now they are currently using either 'sneaker-net' or
altenatively FTP'ing the file to the Mac where someone must then
download the file to the printer.

I would like to be able to simply have the Silicon Graphics user do
a remote print to the LaserWriter as he can do to another UNIX machine
and simplify the printing process.

Alternatively, it would be nice to have a small application that simply
looks into a 'UNIX Spool Folder' and anything that is copied into the
folder would  get checked to see if it is a valid PostScript file which
would then be downloaded to the LaserWriter.

Any ideas?????

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 06:38 CST
From: GREENY <MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Problem with SID-II

Hi all, I recently ordered a SID-II kit from the Cedear Tech. about 6 weeks
ago....after waiting 4 weeks, and putting it together, then discovering that
a few parts were missing, writing back for the missing parts, and waiting
for the missing parts to arrive, and installing the missing parts -- I finally
got it all together and couldnt wait to try it out.

Of course, it didnt work on the first try so I dug out my 'scope and ran thru
the checklist included in the instructions with the kit.  After some trial
and error, I discovered that it was the cable I was using....so I ought to
have only had to acquire the proper cable and the thing would work correctly,
right?  Well I thought so, but it wasnt to be.

When the cable is plugged into the SID-II device, my Mac IIci comes to a
dead halt.  But the funny thing is that if I blow into the microphone very
quickly, then I *can* move the mouse, and get the Mac to do some things, but
it's all like in Super-Slo-Motion until I unplug the cord.  I have gotten
it to grab some sounds and they sound fine, but everything is dead slow...

Figuring that it might be some wierd thing with the general input pin (#7)
on the Mac serial ports, I whipped the SE out of the closet, and tried it
on there.....Of course it was even worse on the 7Mhz machine....and blowing
into the microphone had no noticable effect.

So my question to everyone is this:

   Have you built one of the SID-II devices from Cedar Tech.'s kit?
   If so, does it work properly?
   Did you have the problem that I described above?
   If so, how did you rectify it?

   If you didn't have the above problem, but happen to be a Mac electronic
 guru, do you have any tips for things I could check for?

  This is wierd folks, very wierd.  And it gives me the same results
    (super slowness) with both the SID software, and with Farallon's
  SoundEdit (tried a friends Mac as well...)

Help....
Bye for nwo but not for long
Greeny

BITNET: MISS026@ECNCDC
Internet: MISS026%ECNCDC.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
GEnie: GREENY
AOL: GREENY1
Compu$erve: 72567,457

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jul 90 12:52 CST
From: Paul Kleeberg <PAUL%GACVAX1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Pyro! 4.0 and AutoBlack

Dear Netlanders,

I have recently become the happy new owner of an SE/30 from a Plus :-).
With the upgrade, I was forced to retire the ever faithful and reliable
AutoBlack screen blanker and upgrade to the current version of Pyro!, 4.0.
I like it a great deal but have one wish, that is that the Pyro! clock was
as small and non obtrusive as the AutoBlack clock. Is anyone aware of a
Pyro! module that creates a clock like this and if so, could you send it
to me?  I do not have access to any of the commercial networks and I am
not a programmer.

Paul Kleeberg
Internet:  Paul%GACVAX1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
BITNET:    Paul@GACVAX1.BITNET
USSnail:   217 West Swift Street
           Saint Peter, MN 56082-2440

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 90 10:17 CDT
From: OUSSAMA@admin.ripon.edu
Subject: Question

        Hello,

        The fonts in the Mac are mesured in 'Point'.  I have heard of
this unit of mesurement before in typesetting but what does it mean?
and how does it relate to other units of mesurement such as the Inch or Cm.

        Oussama El-Hilali

        OUSSAMA@ADMIN.RIPON.EDU

[A point is 1/72 of an inch.  This is one reason the Mac is 72 dpi.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: WED AUG 01, 1990 16.00.34 EST
From: "Robert J. Platt (Rob) at Lehigh" <RJP1@lehigh>
Subject: QuicKeys / CursorAnimator Incompatibility

Some time ago I downloaded CursorAnimator from the Archives.
(CursorAnimator 1.0b3) It did not come with any doccumentation -
I hope I have the correct version. Anyway, I like the program but I was
disappointed at the lack of the feature to test out cursors. And new
cursor didn't appear until after rebooting. I didn't know any better.

Just today, I discovered a new button (test) that magically appeared.
then it was gone. Some playing with turning on and off of INITs
and I find that the test button only appears when QuicKeys is not
installed. Guessing that CursorAnimator and QuicKeys probably patch
into some of the same system traps, I renamed CursorAnimator to
~CursorAnimator (that is a tilde in front of the name). That way,
CursorAnimator would load AFTER QuicKeys, and, it worked. Now, the
'Test' button appears, and the cursor change takes effect immediately.

So, if you use both QuicKeys and CursorAnimator, rename CusorAnimator
so it is AFTER QuicKeys alphabetically.

If anyone knows Wilhelm M. Plotz's E-mail address, please forward this t
to him. I should send him a postcard. Cute program.
.
     /\     From: Rob Platt (215) 346-7386 or (215) 346-7541
    /\/\          PO Box 200/Rocks & Rills Estate, Funk Mill Road
   /\/\/\         Springtown, PA 18081. 24-Hour FAX:(215)346-6770
  /\/\/\/\
 /\/\/\/\/\       RJP1@Lehigh.Bitnet
/\/\/\/\/\/\      rplatt@Lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu
.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 90 20:08:05 +0100
From: J.Pearce@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: System Font/Size in KanjiTalk 6.0.4

I am using KanjiTalk 6.0.4 on a Macintosh with System Switcher to move
between the Japanese and English Systems. The Japanese System uses
Osaka font size 12 for Window and Icon text. This is considerably larger
than on the English System and consequently the Desktop becomes a real
mess of overlapping Icon names.

Does anyone know how to change the size or font used for system text ?

John R. Pearce.

jpearce@uk.ac.ucl.cs

Computer Science Department
University College London
Gower Street
London
WC1E 6BT
ENGLAND.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 14:45:22 LCL
From: Michael Perrone <A2MP%PSUORVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Test page toggle code

I have used the following code to disable laserwriter test page printing
with fine results for laserwriters running postscript version 47.  However,
I tried it on a newer laserwriter running PS 51.8, and it doesnUt work.  does
anyone know why, or what will work (yes, I made sure the password was still 0)?

gsave
serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin
dostartpage not setdostartpage
dostartpage {(enabled) print} {(disabled) print} ifelse end

Please respond to a2mp@psuorvm.bitnet, I will summarize for the net.

Michael Perrone
Portland State University

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  1 Aug 90 13:00:14 CDT
From: "Anand Rao" <A1.JLJ%ISUMVS.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Video Board for Mac

Hi folks!

I'm searching for an LCD video adaptor for my Mac SE/30.  I'd
like to connect it to a SHARP QA-50 or QA-75 overhead projection
LCD panel.  I've seen one adaptor advertised for $129.  Is that a
reasonable price? Are there less expensive boards available on
the market?  Would I need to go to an Apple authorized dealer to
install the card, or can I do it myself (I've the equipment to
open the Mac's case).

I need the information in about a week...your prompt replies/
suggestions will be very much appreciated!

Thanks

---Anand Rao

End of Info-Mac Digest