Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/17/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 16 Aug 90       Volume 8 : Issue 145

Today's Topics:

      [*] Almanac Stack v.1.84
      [*] GIFConverter 2.1.1 (shareware)
      [*] GIFConverter 2.1.1 docs
      [*] MacSim 1.1 (2 parts)
      [*] Studio Session to MIDI conversion program
      [*] Teachtime stack
      A summary of Mail systems
      Freehand problems RE:V8#134
      IGOR deficiency -- resolved
      Modem info???
      My Last Posting on Test page toggle code
      re: Macintosh Org Chart Applications
      Zoom-Faxmodem summary

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sun Jul  1 14:01:20 1990
From: kaz%nanovx.UUCP@mathcs.emory.edu (Mike Kazmierczak)
Subject: [*] Almanac Stack v.1.84

Version 1.83 and earlier of this stack have a serious bug which has been
found by another user and corrected.  Please replace the earlier versions
with this one.  $5 shareware to X Systems

[Archived as /info-mac/card/astronomical-almanac-184.hqx; 68K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 90 16:46:53 -0700
From: mjkobb@apple.com
Subject: [*] GIFConverter 2.1.1 (shareware)

Greetings,

  Many of you may have read my postings from time to time regarding a
program called GIFConverter.  In short, GIFConverter can read and save
images in most Mac file formats, including GIF, RIFF, TIFF, PICT, PICT2,
Paint, and EPSF(write).  It can convert from one format to another.
Finally, as a big win for monochrome Mac users, it works on a Mac Plus or
SE in B&W, and can print in color from those machines (to a color printer
like an ImageWriter II).

  Until recently, GIFConverter has been demoware (it was a crippled demo,
unlocked with a key).  Now, it is fully-functional shareware.  You are free
to try it out for 15 days, then either buy it or destroy it.  The shareware
fee is $40, and that gets you the latest release of version 2, plus written
documentation, plus a software key which removes the shareware screen which
comes up every time you start the program.

  Attached below is a Stuffit archive containing version 2.1.1 and a readme
file.  Another file containing the full documentation will show up shortly.

--Mike

Disclaimer: I am merely a satisfied customer of GIFConverter.  I am posting
it to the Internet at the author's request, since he does not have net
access.  His email address (on CompuServe via the Internet gateway) is
included in the documentation.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/gifconverter-211.hqx; 229K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 90 16:50:39 -0700
From: mjkobb@apple.com
Subject: [*] GIFConverter 2.1.1 docs

Greetings,

  Attached below is a binhexed Stuffit archive containing the documentation
for GIFConverter 2.1.1, which is now shareware.

--Mike

[Archived as /info-mac/util/gifconverter-211-doc.hqx; 67K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 90 18:16:20 -0700
From: daveo@apple.com
Subject: [*] MacSim 1.1 (2 parts)

Hello,

  I am submitting MacSim a microcode simulation program that I wrote.

  This is my first time sending anything to you guys so let me know if I
screw up and how I can fix it.

  Thanks, any questions can be directed to this account.

David M. O'Rourke
---

[MacSim 1.1 - in 2 parts]

NOTE: This is not an Apple Posting!!!! This was developed before I
      started working for Apple.  This software is not endorsed or
      tested by Apple Computer and they are not responsible for it's
      contents in any: way, shape, or form.

      I am simply using the account provided to distribute some
      software that I feel would benifit other Macintosh users.

      This is in no way offically linked to Apple Computer.

      There now that that's been said...

MacSim is a MicroCode simulator that implements the arch. described in
Andrew Tanenbaum's _Structured Computer Organization_ on pages 126-147
in the 2nd edition of his book. {Don't know the pages for 3rd edition,
but it works with the one presented there as well.}

  Features:
    Cut & Paste Text Editor
    MicroCode & MacroCode Assemblers
      User definable MacroCode symbols.  You can implement a custom
      microcode, and then define the symbols to use in the MacroCode.
      Turbo-Pascal style error checking
        i.e. both of the assembler's stop and highlight the offending
        source line with a diagnostic.
    Memory Mapped I/O
      input from Keyboard
      output to Screen
      I/O to/from other simulator's
    The ability to run more than one simulator at once.

This application is the result of a Senior Project completed for my B.S.
Steve LoBasso and I implemented development on a Macintosh, and we feel
this simulator offer's a reasonable alternative to other MC simulator's
that we've seen.

The application does require you to personalize it.  The fields are such
that it would be ideal for a course/lab enviroment.

  Any bugs {bugs!! did you say bugs??} can be reported to:
    daveo@apple.com <-- (again this is not offical apple, I've recently
                         graduated and started working, this is the only
                         external e-mail address availible)
    or

    slobasso@polyslo.calpoly.edu

I've provided both text and formatted documentation.  The formatted
documentation is in FullWrite Professional format and includes lots of
graphics.  If you don't have FullWrite the text version of the
documentation should be enough for you to get an idea of the simulator's
capabilities.

The Application is shareware.  If you'd like to get it for a lab I'm
sure we can work something out.  We put a lot of work into the project
and would rather see it used than not.

  David M. O'Rourke

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/macsim-11-part1.hqx; 203K]
[Archived as /info-mac/lang/macsim-11-part2.hqx; 204K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 1990 20:54:55 CDT
From: JAIME@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx (Act Jaime Iturbe)
Subject: [*] Studio Session to MIDI conversion program

SSN Convert 1.0

About the Program.
==================
This program is designed to convert Studio Session songs to MIDI files.
It also can play directly the songs thru the MIDI port.
It is based on an instrument table that defines the MIDI equivalent of each
Studio Session sound.

Requirements: Mac (1 Meg minimum), MIDI interface (modem port, 1 MHz),
MIDI synths.

This program is shareware, so if you like it, you can send me (for exchange)
your Studio Session creations, MIDI files, comments and suggestions to:

	BitNet : JAIME@UDLAPVMS (Jaime Iturbe)

[Archived as /info-mac/util/studio-session-converter-10.hqx; 108K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun Jul  1 13:57:10 1990
From: kaz%nanovx.UUCP@mathcs.emory.edu (Mike Kazmierczak)
Subject: [*] Teachtime stack

This Hypercard stack will help teach young ones to tell time.  It works
in digital and analog modes and speaks the answers using digitized
sound.  It may not run an a 1 Meg mac with lots of inits (Hypercard's
fault) but it is a useful program and helped my daughter learn how to
tell time on a analog watch.  $5 Shareware to X Systems

[Archived as /info-mac/card/teachtime.hqx; 304K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 90 14:38:33 PDT
From: mliverig@verity.com (Mike Liveright)
Subject: A summary of Mail systems

I mailed this to comp.sys.mca.comm a few weeks ago, and It seemed to appear
on my mail reader, so I assume that it got thru...

On the other hand it seems to me that there are questions on the net of
people who might like to see it.

I have been mailing them a copy, but perhaps it should be postied to other
groups, archived, etc.

Do with it what is appropriate

Macintosh -- Unix mail -- Personal review: 90/07/15
	Mike Liveright -- mliverig@verity.com

There are a large number of Macintosh programs that allow the Macintosh to
read/write UNIX mail using an ethernet card or Cayman gatorbox or "Shiva"
fastpath box. During the last few weeks I have been trying to determine
which I want to use. This is a personal report of the various systems that
I have run across.

By the way, I have not seen nearly as many News-Readers, and I would like
to see some of these to evaluate.

I have submited this to the authors that I can track down for comments and
corrections and have tried to include their comments.

Note...  Tho many of these use the apple software, MacTCP, it seems that
there is no problem in obtaining  MacTCP as part of the product
distribution.

The systems that I know about and have considered are:

	Eudora 1.0 a41 --- anonymous FTP from: ux1.cso.uiuc.edu, University of
Illinois. Note.. uses pop3 in the UNIX CPU.

	TechMail 1.0 --- anonymous FTP from: net-dist.mit.edu, Mass. Institute of
Technology. Note.. uses pop3 in the UNIX CPU.

	TCP/Connect II 1.03 --- InterConnect inc, $500.00/user for Mail, News,
TelNet, FTP, etc., comment@intercon.com. Note.. pop2 in the UNIX CPU.

	QuickMail --- $100/user, CE Software, 76004.1527@compuserve.com and
support@gater.com, Note requires GaterMail, an additonal $100/user to
connect to the UNIX CPU.

The following were not considered by me as they were either Hypercard
stacks or required a server other than "popper", pop3 or the version of
pop2 that I had implemented.

	MacPOP 1.5 --- trident.arc.nasa.gov Requires "Enhanced pop2 server",
Probably ok, but I did not test it because it required the server that I
did not have running.

	 MacMS 2.1b1 --- anonymous FTP from: sumex-aim.stanford.edu (imap/macMS)
-- Requires "imapd" server. Included is MacTCP as part of the distribution.
Probably ok, but I did not test it because it required the server that I
did not have running.

	POPMail (Also a PC Mail Reader is   available) --- anonymous FTP from:
boombox.micro.umn.edu -- "HYPERCARD MAIL READER and MailStop POP2 Macintosh
server and  pop2 daemon for unix and Nag (mail notification application
that runs in the background on the Mac under multifinder) and PC mail
reader software."

"By the way, POPmail works with several POP2 servers: it works with
standard POP2 servers, it works with a POP2 daemon that we wrote (the
advantage of this daemon is that your password is encrypted befor it is
sent over the network) and it works with MailStop (a POP2 server that runs
under the Macintosh operating system)."

NOTE... I looked at this and it worked with my "pop2" UNIX server. It is
interesting, tho It doesn't fit what I want

	MacPost 1.0b1 --- anonymous FTP from: pollux.lu.se, Lund University,
Sweden NOTE.. This uses an dedicated Mac as a server and since I don't
happen to be interested in that congfiguration so I did not explore
further.

	HyperMail ---  HYPERCARD MAIL READER
	Mews 1.3 --- HYPERCARD MAIL and NEWS READER
	HyperFTP 1.1 --- HYPERCARD FTP Client.

	Since our UNIX (tm) of AT&T, CPU's are required to be up, I strongly favor
a system that uses a "standard" protocol, It seemed to me that the popper
program by Berkeley was as standard as possible, giving sufficient
flexibility and linking in to the system "properly" thus once I got a
system that worked I tended to not be very interested in testing others,
unless I could just start them on the Mac and have them connect into the
popper server.

	In addition, since I plan to have the client running on my mac all the
time, I really did not want to eat up 1,000k and hypercard to run it. This
I looked at the hypercard implementations, but only casually.

COMPARISONS

The following were major factors that determined my evaluations of the mail
systems.

1) BACKGROUND-OPERATION -- I want to have the mail reader running all the
time, notifying me when mail comes in and to be immediately accessible for
me to send a message. This eliminated all hypercard implementations and
prevented me from using TechMail, HyperMail, Mews 1.3, HyperFTP 1.1,
POPMail

2) POP-USE -- Since I was able to find satisfactory implementations, I
tended to reject implementations that did not use the popper, pop3 server.
These required me to re-compile yet another server and put into the UNIX
mail system. Obviously others may have no servers yet up and may not
consider it important which is put into their UNIX box. On the other hand,
it seems to me that the popper protocol is adequate and I would suggest
that it be accepted as a standard so that different Macintosh mail clients
can be used with the same server. i.e. MacMS, MacPOP 1.5, MacPost, MailStop

3) USE -- The final factor was how easy each of the systems was to use.
Some of the factors that I looked for were:

3.1) General ease of use, i.e. were there any things that make me climb the
wall.

3.2) Capability of using the Mouse or the Keyboard for ALL operations.
Often I found that there were some operations that I needed to move off the
keyboard, EVEN with QuickKeys and others that I needed to move off the
mouse, or at least pull down menus and dialog boxes.

3.3) Ease of addressing and capability for large number of addresses

4) There are 3  general suggestions that I would make:

4.1) I don't want to be bothered every time I re-start the mail reader for
my password. It is a bother, and in fact prevents me from automatically
starting it on boot-up. I realize that putting the password on my  CPU is a
security violation, but I think of my Macintosh as my own and don't worry
that others will read my mail...

4.2) I would like to re-design the "MailBox" windows as I can in
TCP/Connect. TCP/Connect allows me to re size and move the titles, dates
and authors. That is nice, thanks...

4.3) I notice that some of the mail systems allow you to paste addresses,
but don't either separate the names with commas or accept blank delimited
names. I would like the system to accept spaces as delimitors between names
and if needed, put in separating commas.

	Eudora 1.0
	==========

I currently am using Eudora and  thus recommend it. It communicates with
popper, a POP3 server.

Eudora had notification of new mail, though it, like almost all others,
does not allow me to put my password in so that I don't have to type it in
each time I re-boot Eudora or the CPU.

I would like to that buttons in the messages so that I can push the "Reply"
button when I am reading the message rather than a Clover-R or a Menu-Bar
choice.

The two bugs/features I have found are:

If I am reading one message I would like to Click on the Next title in the
MailBox window and have the next one brought up. Id even more like to
"Clover-Click" and have the current one closed and the next one brought up.
I find that if a rapidly double click on the title of the next message I am
returned to the current message, with out bringing up the next one. The
first click brings the MailBox window to the front and the next one
re-selects the message that I was just reading. If on the other hand I
click on the MailBox, wait a time, and then double click on the next
message's title, I get the behavior that I want.

Minor, There are times when other programs have so mess'ed up MacTCP that
when I start Eudora, it locks up rather than allowing in Clover-., to abort
the connection and gracefully re-boot.

	TechMail 1.0
	============

My first impression of TechMail was WOW!!! It works with popper, by the way
since I wanted to have popper running on socket 110, I needed to patch it
to use that socket, and the people at MIT were helpful, thanks...

TechMail also has buttons where I want them. e.g.  when reading a message,
I have buttons for "Reply" and "ReFile", etc. and when writing a message, I
have buttons for "Send", etc.

The one thing that prevents me from making a true evaluation of it is that
it does not yet have regular notification of new mail. MIT expects to make
notification available via a separate application and a separate unix
server program, TechNotify, Real Soon Now.  This will allow notification,
though in my relatively small shop it seems to be more complex than I would
have prefered.

	TCP/Connect II
	==============

This is a fully functional UNIX -- MAC package containing TelNet, FTP,
Mail, News-Reader etc. these are major additions to the public domain
TelNet and FTP package from NCSA. Though a few people have had some
problems with the Version 1.03 and I would like to see some new features
and improvement in the reliability of some of the new features in the next
version, I strongly recommend this for its set of features. I use it is my
terminal emulator, FTP, and News Reader.

My reasons for not using this for Mail are:

	(1) It sometimes has problems on my Macintosh printing. It leaves garbage
at the bottom of the message and sometimes locks up. Others do not see
this, but it is a bother to me.

	(2) It uses pop2 rather than popper. This means that I have to get a
server up on the UNIX CPU for it rather than using what is my standard
server. I have had problems debugging a version that was originally built
for System V UNIX's and the last time I tested it, though it seemed to
work, there seemed to be a resource leak  so that every few days the CPU
needed to be rebooted. I don't have proof of this and there is a new
version of pop2 that I got from InterCom, and have not tested it yot.

	(3) I can't configure it as well as I want since it is part of a multi
purpose package. Admittedly, it is nice to have a single package that does
lots of things, but since I tend to add function keys through QuickKeys, to
make a package to what I want, I find it harder to customize a multi use
package. QuickKeys does not know which part is running where as it does not
which program is running, and so, as a possible example, I can't define the
Clover "S" to be "Save" message when I am using Mail, and Send File, when I
am using FTP. Note.. I can go in with ResEdit to alter the program, but I
prefer not to and in some cases I was not able to do it because of "non"
standard menus.

	(4) It is big. TCP/Connect requires about 1,2 to 1.5k. Thus I can't just
have a mail reader in the background. If I am always talking to the central
CPU, then the memory cost is not too high, but with the other systems I can
leave 300K rather than 1200K in memory.

	(5) I personally like to be able to have the addresses and important
actions in the same window as the message. When I am reading a message, I
like to have "Reply" and "Forward" buttons, and when I am constructing a
message, I would like the Subject: and To: in the window rather than in a
separate, model window.

I am sure that these can be, or have been fixed, but they were the reasons
that I am not using it now.

	QuickMail
	=========

We use QuickMail and GaterMail. I would advise it except that:

(1) It costs over $100 per user. Since we use it, we believe it is worth it
as it is a "full" mac mail system, but if you want UNIX mail then it is
overkill and

(2) requires a central Mac for the mail service.

I like it and suggest it as my preference for MacMail systems, but it is
not quite what I was discussing in this memo.

APPENDIX anonymous ftp information:

		popper:
		-------

anonymous FTP: lilac.Berkeley.EDU
-----% ftp 128.32.136.12

ftp> pwd
257 "/pub" is current directory.
ftp> ls -l

-rw-r--r--  1 root       223889 Mar 22 13:19 MacPOP.sit.hqx
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root           21 Feb 27 01:17 barrnet.ps ->
./BARRNet/map.3-1-89
-rw-r--r--  1 root         9060 Mar 14 15:52 kip_restart.tar.Z
drwxrwxr-x  2 root          512 Mar 28 18:58 mg
drwxrwxr-x  2 root          512 Feb 27 01:25 ping
-rw-r--r--  1 root        54720 Mar 22 14:21 popper-1.6.tar.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 root        55108 Jul 13 15:09 popper-1.7b3.tar.Z
drwxrwxr-x  2 root          512 Mar 29 20:13 xinu

	Note.. For Eudora and TechMail, use popper-1.6.tar.Z

		Eudora:
		-------

anonymous FTP: ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
----% ftp 128.174.5.59

ftp> pwd
257 "/mac/eudora" is current directory.
ftp> ls -l

-rw-r--r--  1 116         42883 Jun 21 13:28 Eudora-QA.hqx
-rw-r--r--  1 116        152427 Jun 14 16:29 Eudora.sit.hqx
-rw-r--r--  1 116        708219 Jun 14 20:54 EudoraMan.ps.sit.hqx
-rw-r--r--  1 116        671785 Jul  6 14:49 Manual.pm.sit.hqx
-rw-r--r--  1 116          2036 Jul 12 15:58 README

		macMS:
		------

anonymous FTP: sumex-aim.stanford.edu
-----% ftp 36.44.0.6
Connected to 36.44.0.6.
220 sumex-aim FTP server (SunOS 4.0/3) ready.

ftp> pwd
257 "/imap" is current directory.
ftp> ls -l

-rw-r--r--  1 root       868545 Sep  1  1989 imap.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 13         223335 Jul  9 17:09 imapd.tar.Z
drwxr-xr-x  2 13            512 May 24 10:03 macMS
-rw-r--r--  1 13        3253841 Jul  5 11:09 mm.tar.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 13         223335 Jul  9 17:10 testimapd.tar.Z

ftp> pwd
257 "/imap/macMS" is current directory.
ftp> ls -l

-rw-rw-rw-  1 13           3830 May  8 09:54 MacMS-Prefs.sample.text
-rw-rw-rw-  1 13         159950 May 24 10:04 MacTCP.sit.Hqx
-rw-r--r--  1 13         212965 Jul  5 12:17 macMS.Hqx
-rw-rw-r--  1 13           3527 May  3 15:48 macms-commands.Hqx
-rw-rw-r--  1 13          13489 May  3 16:05 macms-distribution-note.Hqx
-rw-rw-r--  1 13          17287 May  8 09:52 macms-installation-guide.Hqx

		MacPOP: (and PC POP)
		-------

anonymous FTP: trident.arc.nasa.gov
-----% ftp 128.102.18.13

ftp> pwd
257 "/pub/POPMAIL" is current directory.

ftp> ls -l

-rw-rw-r--  1 302        186455 May 23 08:49 MacPOP156.sit.hqx
-rw-rw-r--  1 302        283873 Mar  7 14:56 MacPOP15man.sit.hqx
-rw-rw-r--  1 9449         3631 Jun 15 08:23 README.UPDATES
-rw-rw-r--  1 302          3718 Mar  1 14:25 acquiring_POP
-rw-rw-r--  1 9449        12491 May 17 13:47 comsat.tar.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 9449       906309 Jun 15 09:26 pcpop.ncsa.tar.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 9449       653993 Jun 15 09:49 pcpop.src.tar.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 9449       186755 Jun 15 09:35 pcpop.xln.tar.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 9449       126507 Jul  6 15:58 phbook.src.tar.Z
-rw-rw-r--  1 9449        32214 May 17 12:41 popd.tar.Z

		MacPost:
		--------

anonymous FTP: pollux.lu.se
-----% ftp 130.235.132.89

ftp> pwd
257 "/DISK2/ftp/pub/mac/comm/macpost" is current directory.
ftp> ls -l
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening data connection for /bin/ls (130.235.16.11,2725) (0 bytes).
total 455
-rw-r--r--  1 roland        597 Jul  5 11:09 FILES
-rw-r--r--  1 roland       4881 Jul  5 11:01 README
-rw-r--r--  1 roland     111341 Jul  5 10:53 client-english.sit.hqx
-rw-r--r--  1 roland     117450 Jul  5 10:53 client-swedish.sit.hqx
drwxr-xr-x  2 roland        512 Jul  2 14:24 old
-rw-r--r--  1 roland     195395 Jul  5 10:53 server.sit.hqx

		POPmail:
		--------

The MailStop and POPmail software as well as a POP2 daemon for UNIX
machines, are available for anonymous ftp from boombox.micro.umn.edu
[128.101.95.95] in the ~ftp/pub/POPmail directory.  You need the POPmail
stack version 1.6 to work with MailStop.

If you have questions or comments about POPmail or MailStop, you can
e-mail them to the POPmail project folks at: popmail@boombox.micro.umn.edu

  mliverig@flint_105$ ns ftp boombox.micro.umn.edu
-----% ftp 128.101.95.95
Connected to 128.101.95.95.
220 boombox FTP server (Version 4.109 Fri Nov 20 07:43:57 PST 1987) ready.

ftp> pwd
257 "/pub/POPmail/macintosh/1.6" is current directory.
ftp> ls -l

total 900
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin          384 Jul  9 19:00 00README
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin       402675 Jul  9 18:52 1.6.sit.hqx
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin        52267 Jul  9 18:53 popd.c

ftp> pwd
257 "/pub/POPmail/msdos" is current directory.

ftp> ls -l

-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin         1363 May  4 21:14 00README
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     bin          336 Jun  5 17:17 drivers
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin        27424 May  4 20:13 ibmtcp.exe
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin        52800 May  4 19:42 manual.hqx
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin        21628 May  4 19:48 manual.txt
-rw-r--r--   1 root     bin       133584 May  4 20:13 popmail.exe

		TechMail:
		---------

anonymous FTP: net-dist.mit.edu (18.72.0.3)

ftp> pwd
257 "/pub/TechMail" is current directory.
ftp> ls -l

-r--r--r--  1 root         4005 Mar  5 21:05 A-Readme
-r--r--r--  1 root        50698 Mar  1 17:03 GSguide.Hqx
-r--r--r--  1 root       123999 Mar  1 18:59 GSguide.PS
-r--r--r--  1 root         2475 Mar  5 14:55 GettingMH
-r--r--r--  1 root        39876 Mar  1 17:22 Help.Hqx
-r--r--r--  1 root       175694 Mar  1 17:22 TechMail-1.0.Hqx
-r--r--r--  1 root       358648 Mar  1 17:04 UserGuide.Hqx
-r--r--r--  1 root      1160836 Mar  1 20:11 UserGuide.PS
-r--r--r--  1 root        22066 Mar  5 14:02 sendmail.cf

	CONTACT
Eudora:		s-dorner@uiuc.edu (THANKS)
TechMail:	info-techmail-request@mit.edu (THANKS)
TCP/Connect:	comment@intercon.com (THANKS)
QuickMail:	76004.1527@compuserve.com
Cayman:		support@gater.com
MacPOP:		mylene@trident.arc.nasa.gov (THANKS)
MacMS:		yeager@summex-aim.stanford.edu (THANKS)
Mews:		charles@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au
HyperFTP: 	DUG@CornellC.CIT.Cornell.edu
MacPost:	macpost-admin@ldc.lu.se (THANKS)

MailStop and POPMail:	popmail@boombox.micro.umn.edu (THANKS)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 90 10:08:50 HAE
From: Patrice Gosselin <SACPAT%LAVALVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Freehand problems RE:V8#134

Hi, I've got the same problems except for one thing.  It doesn't happen
every time.  For now, the only hypothesis that seems to fit is that if Freehand
had to shrink a single text (unjoined) using the same font and the same size
before (either in the same drawing or a previous one).

Since I am not finished testing this hypothesis, it might not be the answer.

If someone else had the same problems and have found the answer let us know.
Personnaly I'm still searching and I'll write back the answer (if ever I do
find some).

Patrice Gosselin
Services a la clientele
Centre de traitement de l'information
Universite Laval
Quebec
Canada
G1K 7P9
SACPAT@LAVALVM1

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 00:23 CDT
From: Meta Sienkiewicz <MSIENK@geo785.gcn.uoknor.edu>
Subject: IGOR deficiency -- resolved

In infomacv8-134.txt, maa@scn8.jpl.nasa.gov (Mark Allen) commented on
a limitation in IGOR version 1.2, in that it was unable to produce plots
with logarithmic axes reversed.  A professor in our department just received
IGOR version 1.22 and I am happy to report that this latest verision is
able to produce reversed log axes (running from high to low values).

Meta Sienkiewicz
OU School of Meteorology

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  1 Aug 90 20:40:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Thomas <jt29+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Modem info???

I just got a 1200 baud modem for my Mac SE30 and would appreciate
suggestions for worthwhile networks hook up to.  I can access "Internet"
and "Netnews" through the Andrew system here at CMU, but am wondering
what other systems, b-boards and services are worth looking into.  Also,
are there ways to avoid gigantic phone bills?  Please e-mail me
suggestions and directions for hook-ups.  I will post a summary. Thank
you.

####################
J.B. Thomas                   "Fair Enough..."---Gordon Solie
####################

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 90 08:28:51 LCL
From: Michael Perrone <A2MP%PSUORVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: My Last Posting on Test page toggle code

The reason the code didn't work was some kind of conflict between sending
the code through MS WORD on a TOPS network.  Using DownloadPS however, did work
just fine (As does sending through Word on an AppleShare network).

Apparently, using Words PostScript Style does more with PS than just sending
the code you include, even if the file is otherwise empty.

Thanks for a great service,
Michael Perrone
Portland State University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 1990 19:13:11 PDT
From: Vaughan Johnson <vjohnson@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: re: Macintosh Org Chart Applications

Well, as the rumors indicated, someone *has* released an org-chart drawing
program for the Mac.  August 1990 Macworld magazine has a new product listing
for 'MacOrg', an org-chart program that allows org charts as big as 9 boxes
across and 9 levels deep.  It's from The Claybrook Company, (214)341-9438.

Vaughan Johnson
Knowledge Source, Inc.
415/326-1374

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 10:46 CDT
From: <GWEON%TAMVXEE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Zoom-Faxmodem summary

Hi,
About several weeks ago I posted a question about Zoom Modems with sendfax.
Almost everybody agreed modem function has been working nice, but fax function
and software has to be fixed.
In my opinion, I conclude that it works good for bargain price and sendfax
function is just a kind of bonus. Anyway I ordered zoommodem.

Suncheol Gweon
Electr-optics Lab
Texas A&M University
Bitnet  : gweon@tamvxee
Internet: gweon@ee.tamu.edu

[I cut out 35K of included replies.  Sorry, but they were much too long.  Ask
Suncheol if you want more info about Zoom.  -- Jon]

End of Info-Mac Digest