Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/17/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 16 Aug 90       Volume 8 : Issue 146

Today's Topics:

      3270 emulator for the Mac
      Algorithm, New Programming Newsletter
      Answers??
      Article for info-mac digest
      Beta tester
      Computer Dating Service
      downloading binary files
      Entrypaq?
      File: "INFO-MAC MAIL" being sent to you
      Floppy Format Problem
      Font for Command Key?
      Free Macintosh Scheme
      installing a shutdown task from appl
      Mac "cron" wanted
      Mac/PC/Unix DBMS
      MicroPhone II/Emacs Question
      MPW related questions
      Phase II running over Ethernet
      SCRIPTING FACILITY ON THE MAC
      Serial Port Woes
      SGML (Standard Graphics Markup Language) for the Mac?
      VHS video tape labeler, request for.
      What's a Binhex?
      Word 4.0 date fix

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sat, 4 Aug 90 01:31:18 AST
From: JOAO CANDIDO PORTINARI <USERJCP%LNCC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: 3270 emulator for the Mac

OUr node here has just installed a VM/CMS system and I'm having
some difficulties making full use of it with my MacIIcx running
-
gurus could help me out:
1. Microphone's Kermit doesn't seem to understand VM/CMS's Kermit;
Has anyone had the same experience? I have changed settings, etc.,
but to no avail...
2. I've heard somewhere that there exists a 3270 emulator for the
Mac - would you give me some pointers on it (is it available through
.
Thanks in advance.
Joao C. Portinari
Projeto Portinari - PUC
Rua Marques Sao Vicente 225
Rio de Janeiro, RJ 22453
Tel. 055-21-529-9364
FAX: 055-21-259-9697

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 23:20:19 GMT
From: ndallen@contact.uucp (Nigel Allen)
Subject: Algorithm, New Programming Newsletter

      A.K. Dewdney, Computer Recreations columnist with Scientific
American magazine, has launched a personal programming newsletter,
Algorithm. The new publication is aimed at amateur and professional
programmers alike. It extends the Computer Recreations tradition of
recreational and educational programming projects: the Mandelbrot
set, cellular automata, chaos and dynamics, weird machines, stellar
simulation, puzzles and many other topics.

      The new publication carries seven features and will expand to
include more columns. Currently, it includes Algoletter, advice
>From professionals; Easy Pieces, fascinating projects for beginning
programmers by Michael Ecker of Creative Computing fame; Personal
Programs, exercises for more advanced programmers by Cliff Pickover,
IBM's computer graphics wizard; Algopuzzles, computer mind-benders
by Dennis Shasha, author of The Puzzling Adventures of Dr. Ecco;
Algofact and Algofiction, invited articles and stories from
well-known scientists and authors. A Bulletin Board advertises
hosts of recreational products by individuals and small companies.

      Algorithm puts the "personal" back in "personal computing" by
encouraging you to develop your programming skills while pursuing
high adventure on the frontiers of science and computing. Order a
free examination copy by writing Algorithm at P.O. Box 29237,
Westmount Postal Outlet, 785 Wonderland Road, London, Ontario,
Canada N6K 1M6.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Aug 90 17:22:14 CDT
From: jnf@csc3b
Subject: Answers??

In Info-Mac Digest V8 #136, Paul J. Feltovich (pjf@sumex-aim.stanford.edu)
asks:

> After many months of successfully running the same applications, I, all
> of the sudden get a message that there is not enough memory to run the
> application.  This started with one application, but has no digressed
> to all of them.  Any ideas about what is going on?  Excuse me if this is
> well-traveled turf-- I am new to the bboard.  I am running an SE. I have
> tried all the anti-virals I have.

Without knowing more about your actual system, I can't really guess at
an answer.

[I can.  My guess is SoundMaster.  Pardon my butting in.  -- Jon]

Are you running Finder or MultiFinder?  MultiFinder takes about 160K.

How much memory do you have?  SE's can ship with more than 1 MB or you
may have added more.

How large are these applications?  Programs like Hypercard can eat up a
lot of memory.  If you're running MultiFinder, that less memory
than you've got.  INIT's and CDEV's take up memory as well.

Are you getting the "Out of Memory" message before or after the
application loads?  If the program loads by itself (i.e. by double-
clicking the application), it may be that the program can't handle
the size of the data file you're loading (I know this from
personal experience <grimace> with SuperPaint 2.0)

Did you install something right before this started happening?  If you
did, check it out, it may be the culprit.

I'll be glad to help, just contact me at either of the addresses below.

Now for a problem of my own.  Whenever I try to run Excel 2.2 in Finder,
my computer bombs on me.  When I run it under MultiFinder, it's no problem.
Can anyone help??  Following is my System Configuration:

	Macintosh II, Color Monitor
		5 MB RAM (1 MB -- 120 ns, 4 MB -- 80 ns)
		System 6.0.4, Finder 6.1.4, MultiFinder 6.0.4
		Finder or MultiFinder

	Chooser:	ImageSaver
	CDEV's:		SAM Intercept, hierDA, Kolor, Moire, SoundMaster,
			SUM Shield INIT, SuperClock!, Disinfectant INIT
	INIT's:		DiskClinicInfo, StartupScreen
	Startup Docs:	Color Arrow, SafeEject, Suitcase II
		  ___           _      _____
		 (   >         //       /  '         /       /) /)
		  __/______/> //     ,-/-, o _   _. /_  ____// //
		 / /  (_) (__</_    (_/   <_/_)_(__/ /_(_) /__//_
		<_/                                       /> />
		                                         </ </
**	Joel N. Fischoff  "The Doctor"	Joel Fischoff	(Home)		      **
**	243 S. Wabash			3711 W. Enfield			      **
**	Chicago, IL 60604		Skokie, IL 60076-2217		      **
**									      **
**	BITNET:	ACSLABJNF@DEPAUL.bitnet	Internet:	jnf@csc3b.depaul.edu  **

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Aug 90 19:40:48 -0400
From: anarch@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (The Anarch)
Subject: Article for info-mac digest

     Wanted: word processor file formats.  Send me your file formats!  I am
interested in formats for any and all files that store text, from TeachText
to FullWrite Professional.  Please MAIL responses to me.  Naturally, if
anyone else is interested, drop me a note and I will pass on anything I
receive.  Thanks to all!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Aug 90 09:37 EST
From: <87HANDOK%CUA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Beta tester

Dear Mac Users

The company that I work for, Airland Systems, Inc., has a product
called AMIE for Macintosh-to-Unisys connectivity. This product,
which is a combination of hardware and software, uses Nubus or
SCSI.

To supplement AMIE, we are currently developing another but similar
product, only this time for Macintosh-to-Honeywell connectivity.
This product, which also uses Nubus or SCSI, emulates VIP 7700 or
VIP 7800 synchronous terminals.

Because of our extensive network of contacts, finding beta test
sites for the Unisys product was easy, and such testing has since
been successfully completed. On the Honeywell side, however, we
have fewer contacts and therefore fewer BETA TEST sites for our
Honeywell product, and currently are looking for more.

If any of you happen to be in a Honeywell environment, are using a
VIP 7700 or a VIP 7800 synchronous terminal, and would be willing
to beta test our product, please send me a mail at:
handoko@pluto.ee.cua.edu  or
87handoko@cua.bitnet (Bitnet)

Petrus Handoko
(703) 573-1100

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Aug 90 16:42:12 EDT
From: Micah Siegel <siegel-micah@cs.yale.edu>
Subject: Computer Dating Service

I am looking to set up a small computer dating service for a charity
drive at Yale.  Does anyone have or know of a program that can match
approximately three hundred students?  Please EMAIL replies and I'll
post a summary to the net if there is sufficient interest.  Thanks!

					-Micah Siegel
					 (siegel-micah@cs.yale.edu)

[And can we run it on the net?  There's lots of lonely nerds out here...
-- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 90 17:51:37
From: randy@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu (Randy Zagar)
Subject: downloading binary files

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I'm having problems getting
good hqx files to my mac.  Am using binary ftp directly from my mac (I
have an ethernet card and am on the internet), but when I try to use
BinHex-4.0 I get an alert box.

          _________________________
         /                         \
         |    CRC $(0000) error    |
         \_________________________/

I've done this successfully from other sites, but I've never been able
to download any hqx file from the info-mac archives.  What am I doing
wrong here...

Any advice would be appreciated,

Randy Z.
randy@tacky.cs.olemiss.edu

[I always FTP in ASCII mode.  HyperFTP even has a Binhex mode!  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Aug 90 13:44 EDT
From: MORRISTA%UCMCIC@ucbeh.san.uc.edu
Subject: Entrypaq?

    University
        of         I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M
    Cincinnati
                              Date:     03-Aug-1990 13:41 EST
                              From:     Theodore Morris
                                        MORRISTA
                              Dept:     MCIC/IR&D
                              Tel No:   513-558-6046 (Group)

TO:  Remote PMDF User                     ( _IN%INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU )

We're just getting started in my area looking at expert system
applications.  Albathion Software has just come out with a rather
inexpensive package called Entrypaq, consisting of a shell or shell
and book package (book = "Developing Expert Systems: A Knowledge
Engineer's Handbook for Rules and Objects (Wiley $34.95)).

Anybody have any experience with Entrypaq or with the book yet?  They
want $110 for the two--a good deal?

Theodore Allan Morris                | 231 Bethesda Avenue, ML# 574
University of Cincinnati Med. Ctr.   | Cincinnati, OH  45267-0574
Med Ctr Information & Communications | 513-558-6046 W, 731-3451 H
Information Research and Development | MORRISTA@UCMCIC.OA.UC.EDU I'net
Call me up and I'll talk data to ya! | WB8VNV NTS, U1091 AppleLink

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Aug 90 18:49:21 GVA
From: Revised List Processor (1.5o) <LISTSERV%CEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: File: "INFO-MAC MAIL" being sent to you

Date:     Fri, 3 Aug 90  12:47 GMT
>From:     get ya kickers on <MARCUS@MOLE.PCL.AC.UK>
To:       INFO-MAC@CEARN
Subject:  Xerox X4020 Colour Ink Jet

Does anyone know of a serial printer driver for the Xerox x4020 ink jet
printer either in the public domain or commercial?

- marcus

marcus@uk.ac.pcl.mole - JANET
marcus%mole.pcl.ac.uk@ukacrl - BITNET/EARN

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 11:41 CDT
From: RINEWALT%TCUCVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Floppy Format Problem

An 800K disk formatted on my IIcx produces read errors on a Plus or SE.
Usually, it is error -72 (bad data mark checksum) but at least once it
was error -69 (bad address mark checksum). However, the disk works fine
on a IIci. A disk formatted on the IIci works on all Macs. Also, files
copied from my IIcx onto a disk formatted on another Mac are readable
on all Macs.

Is this an alignment problem?

Thanks in advance,
Dick Rinewalt           Texas Christian Univ         Computer Science Dept

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Aug 90 01:17 EDT
From: GORDON DOHLE <DOHLE%Vax2.Concordia.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Font for Command Key?

I have a lot of fonts but can't seem to find one that will give me the
cloverleaf sign on the the command key. Any hints, suggestions that don't
require extensive upgrades? It doesn't HAVE TO BE postscript.
Gordon
Dohle@Vax2.Concordia.ca

[Try Chicago (I assume you have it) and the pop character cdev.  If you
have an extended keyboard it is Control-Q.  Check it out in the Key Caps DA.
-- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jun 90 22:54:44 GMT
From: argosy!freeman@cs.utexas.edu (Jay R. Freeman)
Subject: Free Macintosh Scheme

    I have written a shareware Scheme implementation for the Apple
Macintosh.  Until 1 August 1990, I will be happy to (US) mail a free
copy to anyone who sends me a 3.5-inch 800K disk and a self-addressed
return mailer WITH ENOUGH POSTAGE to get it back to you.

    "Free" means that I encourage recipients of disks thus obtained to
ignore the program's built-in appeal for a shareware donation.

    Mail to:
                         Jay Reynolds Freeman
                           P. O. Box 60628
                       Palo Alto, CA, 94306-0628

    If I should get more requests than I can handle, I will have to
return empty disks.  I think that's very unlikely.

    For those who don't know, Scheme is a dialect of Lisp.  For those
who do know, my implementation is a nearly-complete "R3" Scheme
interpreter, with a few extra features.  It should run on a Mac Plus
or on any later Macintosh.

    I have no FTP access and subscribe to no commercial on-line
services, so I cannot get my project to the various usual places, and
the distribution seems too large for comp.binaries.mac.

    I hope it does not breach netiquette to post this item:  Shareware
appears regularly on comp.binaries.<etc>, so I concluded it was OK.

                                         -- Jay Reynolds Freeman

       <canonical disclaimer -- all opinions herein are my own>

ps:  the files are also available for Anon FTP from RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU
	in directory  mac/programming as files:

   6 Pixie.Goodies.SIT.bin       136 PixieScheme.NoFPP.SIT.bin
  33 Pixie.NoFPP.world.SIT.bin   136 PixieScheme.SIT.bin
  32 Pixie.world.SIT.bin         136 Pixie_Scheme_Help.SIT.bin

	don't forget to establish a BINARY FTP-connection !!!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Aug 90 09:22:52 EDT
From: Marc Mazuhelli <IN10%UDESVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: installing a shutdown task from appl

Is there a way to install a shutdown task from a normal application
(i.e. not from a CDEV or INIT)?  ShutDwnInstall in Inside Mac V
tells me that I have to provide a ProcPtr. If a normal application
calls ShutDwnInstall, the code for the procedure will probably not be
loaded anymore when a shutdown is made.

Do I have to create a separate code resource and load it in the system
heap? If so, how do I do that?  Is there a more simple way?  Or is it
impossible?  I need answers to these questions fast as this program
has to work before the end of the month...

Please respond to me directly and I will summarize to the net.

    --> Marc Mazuhelli, professor         --> using someone else's code:
        Departement de mathematiques          IN10@UDESVM.BITNET
        et d'informatique
        Universite de Sherbrooke

[Create a seperate code resource of any type.  Change zones and lock it
in the system heap.  Use the address as your procPtr.  There is no
simple way.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Aug 90 10:42:02 PDT
From: em%topgun@hub.ucsb.edu (Ed Mehlschau)
Subject: Mac "cron" wanted

Do any of you Mac netlanders know if something like UNIX cron exists
for the Mac?, i.e., I need something that will launch an application
under Multifinder (6.0.3) when a certain date and time occurs
regardless of what else is happening on the system.

I've tried AutoMac III, but it seems to "remember" what it is supposed
to do relative to the application active when the macro is created.  My
needs would require a macro that is *independent* of the current
application.

Please reply via email and I will summarize if there is sufficient
interest.

Thanks-in-advance,

-- Ed

[Check out QuickTimer from CE Software.  It does this and more.  -- Jon]

 -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 Ed Mehlschau                                         Internet: em@hub.ucsb.edu
 Center for Computational Sciences                BITNET: em%hub@ucsbuxa.bitnet
  and Engineering (CCSE)              UUCP: ...{ucbvax,sdcsvax,cepu}!ucsbcsl!em
 U. C. Santa Barbara          Quote: "A clever saying proves nothing", Voltaire
 3111 Engineering I
 Santa Barbara, CA  93106

------------------------------

Date: 7 Aug 90 06:45:46 GMT
From: gnaimo@wolfen.cc.uow.edu.au (Greg Naimo)
Subject: Mac/PC/Unix DBMS

I posted this recently to comp.databases, but received few replies.
I am aware of Oracle, but am looking for other possibilities.

We are looking for a suitable database (preferably relational) that can run
on the Macintosh, PC and Unix platforms, in as seemless a fashion as possible.
The product would need a 4GL type development language and report writer, any
suggestions/experiences ??
E-mail your suggestions to:

gnaimo@wolfen.cc.uow.edu.au

Thanks in advance,

Greg Naimo
Director, ITS
University of Wollongong. Australia.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Aug 90 13:04:29 PDT
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: MicroPhone II/Emacs Question

I use Emacs (I think it's GNU Emacs) on a Sun system from a Mac II
over a dial-up connection (actually it's a connection through an
"Ethertip").  The terminal emulator I use on the Mac is MicroPhone II,
set in VT100 emulation mode.

The Mac keyboard has a Control key, an Option key, and the
Apple/Cloverleaf key (I've never understood the distinction between
these, especially the first and third ones, but anyway...); and
MicroPhone II gives me a Preference menu item which says any one of
these keys can be selected to "invoke" the Control key for MicroPhone.

OK, what I'd like to have is for either one of the other keys
(preferably the Option key) to act as the "META" key for Emacs
(instead of having to use two-stroke ESC sequences all the time).

What do I have to do in Emacs, and what do I have to do in MicroPhone
to make this happen?  (Or in shorthand, where's the META key on a Mac
II keyboard?)

Thanks much for any assistance...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Aug 90 06:57 PDT
From: Sharon Yoder <YODER@oregon.uoregon.edu>
Subject: MPW related questions

I have a series of questions (they may make more sense if you know that
I recently purchased TML Pascal 3.1, and am now wondering if that was
the right decision).
a) I understand there is a version of GREP (and maybe other UNIX-related tools
   ) available somewhere.  Does anyone know *where*?  If anyone has a copy
   of GREP, and a few free moments, could they send me a copy?  (this is an
   MPW tool that I am thinking of, though I would take any GREP I could get).
b) Just what is the difference between APDA and Develop?
c) Does anyone have experience with both TML Pascal versus MPW Pascal
   and could they comment on the relative power/usefullness/friendliness/
   completeness/etc of the two?  (If this has been discussed before, a
   pointers to the relevant issues of info-mac would suffice, since I could
   get them from sumex-aim).
d) The doc I got with MPW with TML Pascal implies that if you buy the thing
   from apple, you get SADE, ResEdit and MacsBug with the shell, while neither
   the applications nor their doc comes with the MPW shell with TML Pascal.
   Is this so?

Thanks immensely for any answers you can give!!

\david john burrowes (despite what the subject line says)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 5 Aug 90 16:38:21 -0700
From: KAYLAN_AL%DPRC01.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com
Subject: Phase II running over Ethernet

Hi netters:

I have few problems, and I would appreciate any  kind of input that I can get
to these problems:

1- In an attempt to set-up a mac network running over ethernet wire with full
appletalk phase II implementation, I am having difficulty getting my hands on
Apple brand mac II ethernet cards.  I am spefically looking for Apple brand
cards due to the requirement to run appletalk phase II.  Some third party
vendors promise phase II compatability, however, I am not sure how well. I know
Apple ethernet cards are manufactured by 3Com, but I am not sure if the 3Com
version of the card is exactly the same, and whether or not it can provide the
same phase II compatability. (through drivers etc) The earliest delivery date
for the apple card that I have come accross is two weeks since the card is
apparently backordered.  Are there any sources that stock Apple brand Ethernet
card?  I am presently looking for app. 9 of them.   Is 3Com or other brand
fully substitutable?

2- I have QuickMail running on an Appleshare server.  Alisa Systems makes a
product which makes the Quickmail server a DecNet node, if the two systems are
connected together.  With this method, all VAX mail is automatically captured
by the QuickMail server, and  gets forwarded to the proper QuickMail user and
vice versa.  Are  there any other solutions to this problem other than the
Alisa solution?  Does anybody  have any experience with the Alisa solution.

3- The macs that are connected to the net will be running off of several Mac
servers.  The end of the ethernet wire will be  connected to our VAX.  One of
the requirements is to establish terminal sessions with the VAX through LAT
protocol over Ethernet wire.  Alisa systems has a software package that runs on
***each*** workstation and acts as a driver. (therefore can not reside on the
server)  Unfortunately, the package  includes terminal emulation software and
other goodies that bring  up the price to 195 dollars ***per*** workstation.
That's a fairly steep  price for my budget since eventually there will be
approximately 65 macs on our network.  Are there any other packages that can do
the same thing at a  much lesser price, preferably capable of running off of
the server?   Does anybody have any experience with the Alisa solution?  Better
yet, would anybody offer any "communications toolbox" driver for DecNet?  This
would be the most elegant solution since we're pretty much standardized on
Versaterm Pro, which will eventually reside on the server.

I have been running MGMStation CAD/CAM for approximately two years,  and I have
been terribly displeased with that product.  I recently  purchased Ashlar-
Vellum through a limited upgrade offer for  something like $135, ($995 Sugg.
Ret.)  I highly recommend Ashlar  Vellum.  (Since I have not used Claris CAD, I
can not compare it to Vellum)

Thanks in advance for your input...

Ali Kaylan
kaylan_al%dprc01.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com
dprc01::kaylan_al@hac2gm.dnet.hac.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Aug 90 18:16:18 SST
From: Wong Chee Heng <CCEWCH%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SCRIPTING FACILITY ON THE MAC

I am looking for some scripting/batch file facility for the Mac. Macro Maker
provided in the standard system software is too limited. I would like to have
the following capabilities in addition to what Macro maker is offering

1. Able to specify selection of object/ICON by name or poisition, e.g. move
   mouse pointer to the next folder and select it.
2. Able to perform simple file read/write

Any information regarding this is welcome. Since I am not in the distribution
list, can the replies pls send to me as direct. I shall summary all info. and
send to the list. Thank in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Aug 90 17:59:34 EDT
From: dr@beach.cs.columbia.edu (David Robinowitz)
Subject: Serial Port Woes

The "telephone" serial ports on my mac ][cx is fried -- it sends messages
to my modem (I see the little lights blinking appropriately), but it won't
receive 'em.

I switched the modem to the printer port, and it worked fine.  So I then
connected the printer to the telephone serial port, and it worked (at least
the mac could transmit characters to the printer -- i forgot to check the
feedback from the printer).  So, now I'm back to functional -- except that
I want to use a MIDI interface (which requires two operating ports), and
my printer may run out of paper w/o notifying the mac.  Any ideas on
how to deal with this?  A new system board would probably be the remedy
it would get at a local Mac. dealer -- it seems like over-kill (and $$$$$).
I remember reading a post which described a software fix for the comm.
PRAMs. Does anybody know where I can get this?  Finally -- I was thinking
of just upgrading to a ][ci, until I found out the price tag: ~$1800!

-Dave
David Robinowitz                              dr@cs.columbia.edu
Home: Bronx, NY  			          (212) 601-1586
Research Staff Associate, Columbia University     (212) 854-8348
        		Just say "Yo!"

Moving to Cambridge Mass
New Phone:  (617) 876-2375

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Aug 90 10:04:54 PDT
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: SGML (Standard Graphics Markup Language) for the Mac?

    I'm involved in a planning effort exploring computerized
manuscript preparation/typesetting packages for technical manuscripts
for professional journals, professional societies, book manuscripts,
and so on.  Prime candidates seem to be TeX and SGML (or is it SMGL?),
which I gather is IBM's (?) "Standard Graphics Markup Language" (?).
It's been claimed that SGML is much more widely used "commercially" or
in "commercial publishing" than is TeX.

    Anyone familiar with the relative status of TeX and SMGL for
"commercial" or "professional" publishing, especially of scholarly or
technical manuscripts?  In particular:

1) Any journals or publishers that accept author-prepared manuscripts
on-line, or via magnetic media, in TeX or in SGML?

2) Any available versions of SGML that will run (i.e., produce typeset
output and/or on-screen previewing) on the Mac, or IBM PCs?

3) Anyone with experience and comments on producing _math_ (typeset
equations) with SGML?  Does it have anywhere near the capabilities and
ease of use of TeX?

I guess my preference shows through even in the questions above, but
I'd appreciate information on both systems.

--siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Internet)
--RW.AAP@STANFORD  (Bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: 7 Aug 90 11:23:15 GMT
From: nardi@usna.navy.mil (LT Peter A. Nardi)
Subject: VHS video tape labeler, request for.

This has probably been asked before, but is there a program available
for the mac that creates/prints labels for VHS video tapes?  I've seen
a similar labeler for audio tapes in the archives.

thanks.

pete nardi
nardi@cad.usna.navy.mil

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 06 Aug 90 23:21:38 EST
From: Mike Holtzman <HOLTZMAN%SJUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: What's a Binhex?

Hi Mac People|

I'm new to all this Bitnet stuff, so could somebody steer me in the right
direction?? I want to download some files from the info-mac archives thru
 a VM/CMS sytstem to a MAC.

What programs/utilities/etc do I need.  I can "GET" hqx files from MACSERVE
at PUCC, but I don't know how to get the hqx file to the mac in a usable
format. I assume I need some form of binhex, but I cannot find anything that's
not also in hqx format.

THanks for helping me get started.

Mike Holtzman, St. John's University, New York
HOLTZMAN@SJUVM

[You need a Mac guru to give you StuffIt 1.5.1 and use the Decode Binhex...
menu item.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  3 Aug 90 08:26:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: David Zubrow <zubrow+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Word 4.0 date fix

I tried to the fix to Word dates.  When I openned the System itl1 resource
I found code for a variety of date-related things.  Towards the end
of the list was a box labelled Supress Day with the code $00 in it.
To what should this be changed to suppress the day?  I'm working with
System 6.0.4.

Thanks.

[Use a newer version of ResEdit.  1.2 at least.  Or set it to 1. -- Jon]

End of Info-Mac Digest