Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (08/25/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 24 Aug 90       Volume 8 : Issue 148

Today's Topics:

      atalkd for Ultrix?
      Binhex Problems
      can't run MacDraw II on IIci
      CD-ROM Drive for Mac and PC
      Character chart
      CNTL id for Button in CButton class of TC 4.0
      Errors when decoding .hqx files
      HD de-classify utility
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #140
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #141 and deskpict
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #143
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #144
      Low cost laser printers
      Mac IIcx pricing
      Macintalk
      Macintosh Org Chart Applications
      Minimal Memory Printers?
      Mouse balls
      Multifinder Problem
      Music Sequencing
      Need help programming TSSnet
      need sound file format
      Notebook computers & Mac
      portable Macintoshes
      PostScript Fonts: Mixed Symbol/Times?
      Simple MacProgramming Questions
      Strange behavior
      Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
      UUdecoding utility for Macs
      VPI BITNET address

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 90 16:47:23 MDT
From: ssds!clayc@uunet.uu.net (Clay Calhoun)
Subject: atalkd for Ultrix?

Hey -

Does anyone out there know of an appletalk daemon that is supported
on Ultrix?  :-)  :-)

===========
Cheers,
 clay

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 90 11:57:48 EXP
From: Kim Yun Ho <90251051%KRSNUCC1.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Binhex Problems

<<<<  Failure in Decode Binhex   >>>>
There occurs errors when I decode HQX from Macserve.
I decode it by Stuffit 1.5
The error message is CRC check error  both  resource and data fork.
would you give me some help for this problem?

[First off, ditch 1.5 and get 1.5.1 from the archive (switch that,
reverse it).  1.5 has some nasty bug in it.  Then check the file for
line lengths.  Any long or short lines means a bad transfer.  Pull the
headers off the mail message so the the binhex header is the first line.
If it still doesn't work try prayer.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Aug 90 18:03:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Donn Hoffman <dh1s+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: can't run MacDraw II on IIci

When I try to run MacDraw II on my IIci, I get bizarre mouse behavior
and a garbled display.

Suggestions welcomed,
-- dh1s@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 13:28:44 -0600
From: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Subject: CD-ROM Drive for Mac and PC

Greetings all,

I have been assigned to research the purchase of a CD-ROM drive for our Faculty
Lab.  I've checked up on those available, and had pretty much come to a decision
when an additional requirement was made.  The CD-ROM drive has to be usable on
either a Macintosh or an IBM-PC system.

I'm fairly ignorant of the IBM side of the world.  Can IBM-PC's use SCSI devices
directly?  Is there some way to set up a switch to swap the drive between
systems, or would it be necessary to physically hook/unhook it each time we
needed to change it over?  Are there any units that are particularly suited to
this sort of configuration?

Any and all suggestions and information are greatly appreciated.

Bruce Carter, Courseware Development Coordinator       = Boise State University
"It is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer"=  1910 University Drive
========================================================       Boise, ID  83725
duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu /or/ bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu = Office: (208) 385-1250
CREN (BITNet): duscarte@idbsu [] CompuServe: 76666,511 =    Lab: (208) 385-1859

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 90 22:54:42 CDT
From: allan@chem.nwu.edu (David Allan)
Subject: Character chart

Sometime ago (at least a year or two) a very nice two page chart
of the laserwriter character set was posted to the archive.  The
chart included the keystrokes for all of the printable characters in
the built-in Laserwriter fonts, including symbol font.  It was posted
in Microsoft Word format.

I am no longer able to locate my own copy of the file and I could not
find it in the archives.  If anyone has a copy, or remembers what I am
describing, then I would appreciate some kind of pointer.

Thanks.

David Allan
allan@chem.nwu.edu
DS_ALLAN@NUACC.BITNET

Dept. of Chemistry
Northwestern University

------------------------------

Date: 13 Aug 90 18:14:17 GMT
From: austing@apple.com (Glenn L. Austin)
Subject: CNTL id for Button in CButton class of TC 4.0

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:
>Hi y'all,
>  I am trying to write an alert/dialog class in think C 4.0 *without* my trusty
>IM I-V (I'm away form home for a while).  I am trying to create a button useing
>the CButton class.  I don't know what to use as the CNTL id number.  Can anyone
>tell me?

>  I have used ResEdit to try to find a likely candidate -- but not yet.  Nor do
>I find an example in the TC stuff.

CNTL is a CoNtrol TempLate.  Create a control template with ResEdit and use the
resource ID from that resource as the ID to pass to CButton.

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| Internet:   austing@apple.com |-------------------------------------------|
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 10:37 MET
From: "Adam van Gaalen (PA2AGA/PI8MAC) DGV-TNO (31)15697283" <GAALEN%TNO.NL@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Errors when decoding .hqx files

Hello David,

Read your message with interest, and felt I just had to respond to it...

The problem you described has happened to me a lot...

The reason is: Lots of times the actual file will be sent to you in a number
off smaller parts, just because the original file is too big to handle...
The file you want may also be uploaded to the archive in more than 1 section,
in which case you even have to ask for more than 1 file...

Well, normally these files should be glued together before one can actually
un-binhex them. This usually means you have to start up an editor, try to
find out in which order the sections should be glued together, load the
first file, insert the others, remove all mail-headers etc...

The best way to upload a long file to the archives is (at least that's my
opinion):

1) Make a StuffIt 1.5.1 Archive containing the files to be uploaded
2) Use StuffIt's 'Set Segment Size' option under the 'Other' menu to set
   the segment-size to let's say 50K, then select 'Segment' under 'Option'.
   The archive (.sit) will now be broken into as many segments as needed
3) Use (again under the 'Option' menu) the option 'Encode BinHex File' to
   create a binhex-file out of each and every segments
4) Upload all binhex-files

This way, when someone downloads a file, each and every segment.hqx can be
(StuffIt, Option menu, option 'Decode BinHex File') un-binhex-ed
independently,
and no CRC-errors will occur... Whe all segments have been received and un-
binhex-ed, one will end up with a number of StuffIt segments, that can be
glued by the 'Join' command. Join will regenerate the original archive out
of all segments, and eventually, you may choose (File Menu) Open Archive to
unStuff it all.

I wish all uploaders would use this method... It would save the rest a lot
of time, and anger!

[Personally, I prefer to encode the file and then break it up.  That way
we can run some programs we have here on the file to verify its
integrity and repartition it up into our "optimal" size pieces.  -- Jon]

Regards,
Adam van Gaalen.

| Please send your reply to:                 | Where  | Mac  | Software  |
|--------------------------------------------+--------+------+-----------|
|  EARN/BITNET: adam@dgv.tno.nl              | office | SE   | NCSATelnet|
|           or: gaalen@tno.nl                |  same  | same | DynaComm  |
| Packet-radio: pa2aga@pa2aga  (44.137.32.9) | at home| Plus | NET/Mac   |
|           or: pa2aga@pa2aga-2(44.137.32.19)| at home| 512Ke| NET/Mac   |
|           or: pa2aga@pi8mac  (44.137.32.22)| at home| SE/30| NET/Mac   |

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Aug 90 20:56:56
From: jsolof@eagle.mit.edu (Jeff Solof)
Subject: HD de-classify utility

Mike,

You may want to have a look at SUM II's "SUM Tune Up" program.  It
includes an option for writing a series of 1's and 0's to your volume.
You can specify all 0's or random 1's and 0's, and how many times you'd
like it to repeat the cycle.

I don't know if the NSA has signed off on it.

Jeff Solof

Jeff Solof                              voice:         617-253-7686
Manager, MIT Microcomputer Center       fax:           617-253-0681
Room W20-021                            internet:    jsolof@mit.edu
84 Massachusetts Avenue                 applelink:            A0271
Cambridge MA  02139

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Aug 90 14:20:09 -0400
From: wrp@biochsn.acc.virginia.edu (William R. Pearson)
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #140

	I am interested in getting A/UX 2.0 on CD-ROM.  However, my CD-ROM
reader is a NEC CDR-77, not an Apple.  Have any of you successfully
installed A/UX from an non-Apple CD-ROM reader?

Bill Pearson

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Aug 90 18:21:45 EDT
From: mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #141 and deskpict

Greetings,

  In #141, hookah@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Molly McButter) writes of her difficulty in
getting a MacPaint image coerced into a form that DeskPict can use to display
it on her SE/30.  I'd suggest using the (now shareware) GIFConverter 2.1.1.
It can take a MacPaint image and write it back out as a MacII - style startup
screen, which is what DeskPicture wants.  Hopefully, by the time she reads
this, GIFConverter will have made it into the Sumex archives.

Cheers,
--Mike

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 01:59 CST
From: MDCLARK%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #143

Re: Vaporware
> Norton for the Mac may not appear at all.
--Norton utilities for the Mac is alive and well.  "Rumors of my demise..."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Aug 90 21:21:39 EDT
From: George <ST701640@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #144

I was just wondering if any of you Mac gurus could tell me how to solve this
simple problem:

I'm working in a genetics lab and I want to devise a program to make all the
calculations for me for each generation, etc.  To do so, I just want to enter
the data (after scoring my flies) and let the program run.  I want to know the
gene frequency, viability, and some percentages.

To simplify what I'm trying to say, I want to know if there's a program out in
the market which will let me "program" objectively, without knowing Pascal, C,
or other languages.

I want Excel features, but specified for a certain procedure, so I can just use
the mouse to click on a certain cross and find the results and interpretation
(which I can, with the help of the program I'm talking about, "program" via
mathematical expressions).  Excel is just to broad of a program for me to use,
and it's too messy, too.  I want statistical features, too, or at least the a-
vailable math expressions so I can calculate the statistics myself.

Thanks for the help, and I hope I got my point across clearly enough.

George
Biology Department
Brown University

[Check out LabView 2.  It is designed for scientists and it puts visual
programming on par with c.  Their compiler generates code as fast as
THINK C's.  It's all icon driven.  It was originally designed for
researchers trying to program their data aquisition boards but it has
evolved into a general programming environment.  From the sound of your
problem you are going to have to program something.  Ot's Hypertalk or
Labview. They both have nice user interfaces that you don't have to
write... -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 90 13:46:06 CDT
From: Paul Heroy <HEROY%LSUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Low cost laser printers

Hi Macxperts,

I'm considering buying a low end laser printer, along the lines of the HP
IIP, the GCC PLP II, or the Apple Personal SC. Postscript is obviously not
a priority now, but I would like to be able to upgrade in the future. I'm
not aware of there being an option for the GCC to do this currently - the
other two I know can. I'd like to get recommendations from people who've
actually used these with a Mac. I'm using a Mac II, and the printing I do
will be mostly text, with some MacDraw stuff; not a high percentage of
graphics right now.

I'd appreciate any comments people have about these and other printers.

Paul Heroy                  BITNET: HEROY@LSUVM
Louisiana State University  Internet: heroy@lsuvm.sncc.lsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 02:38:30 CDT
From: infomac@sngsf1.sinet.slb.com
Subject: Mac IIcx pricing

Can someone tell me the prices of the following equipments in the USA ?

Mac IIcx 1Mb/40 Mbytes hard disk		?
Apple 13" color monitor				?
8 bit video card				?
keyboard					?
CMS tape backup system (60 mb)			?
1 Mb memory					?

You may reply to the digest or to me directly.  Thank you.

Arthur
INFOMAC@SNGSF1.SINET.SLB.COM
Republic of Singapore.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 10:24 EDT
From: "Mark Nutter, Apple Support" <MANUTTER%IUP.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Macintalk

>From what I have read about MacinTalk, the two main problems are:
   a)  Apple doesn't have the source code for it, and
   b)  it breaks the Sound Manager.
If you use Macintalk with the newer System software, you lose your beep sounds,
and Apple can't do anything to fix that, since they don't have the source code.
Seems to me what we really need right now is a MacinTalk *replacement* that
uses the Sound Manager.  With the proliferation of digitizers, it shouldn't be
that big a deal to record the basic phonemes ("s", "th", "n", etc.) and put
them together to form words.

Mark Nutter
Apple Support Coordinator
Indiana University of Pennsylvania
MANUTTER@IUP.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 11:15:54 CDT
From: auvdeso@auvsun1 (John DeSoi)
Subject: Macintosh Org Chart Applications

MORE 3.0 from Symantec is a powerful writing and presentation program
based upon the best outline processor I have ever seen.  Among many
other things, it can generate tree charts automatically from an
outline.  It offers lots of control over formatting and style if you
need it.  Essentially, you can attach "style sheets" to any level of
the hierarchy which can be inherited or overridden by lower levels.
Neat stuff.

Educational pricing through Edutech was $197, about $60 less than the
lowest mail order price that I found.

                               +--------------+
Department of Computer Science |     	      | (409) 845-9979, 845-4306
Texas A&M University 	       |  John DeSoi  | INTERNET: desoi@cs.tamu.edu
College Station, TX 77843-3112 |	      | BITNET: jfd5947@tamvenus
                               +--------------+

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Aug 90 15:27:10 PLT
From: HRC$04%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Minimal Memory Printers?

Anyone know of an inexpensive ink-jet or laser printer which runs WELL
with only 1 meg of memory from a 512k machine that's been upgraded to
a Plus?  I have a DeskWriter for my other machine, and like it, but it
does not work at all well with only one meg of RAM.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Aug 90 10:25:44 -0700
From: KAYLAN_AL%DPRC01.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com
Subject: Mouse balls

I recently received the following message on our VAX system.  It had been to
quite a few GM facilities, and contained a forwarding header of approximately
14k.  I had to remove the header to shorten the length of the document, but I
am not sure whether this document, or the header which contained the places
this message has been to, and people's comments who read it, is funnier.

Ali Kaylan
kaylan_al%dprc01.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com
dprc01::kaylan_al@hac2gm.dnet.hac.com

   Original header
   ---------------
   This is an actual alert to IBM Field Engineers that went  out  to
   all  IBM  Branch  Offices.   The  person  who  wrote  it was very
   serious.  The rest of us may find it rather funny.

   Message
   -------
   Abstract:  Mouse Balls Available as FRU (Field Replacement Unit)

   Mouse balls are now available as  FRU.   Therefore,  if  a  mouse
   fails  to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a
   ball  replacement.   Because  of  the  delicate  nature  of  this
   procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by
   properly trained personnel.

   Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining
   the  underside  of  the mouse.  Domestic balls will be larger and
   harder  than  foreign  balls.   Ball  removal  procedures  differ
   depending  upon  manufacturer of the mouse.  Foreign balls can be
   replaced using the pop-off method.  Domestic balls  are  replaced
   using  the  twist-off method.  Mouse balls are not usually static
   sensitive.  However, excessive  handling  can  result  in  sudden
   discharge.  Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be
   used immediately.

   It is recommended that each replacer have a pair of  spare  balls
   for  maintaining  optimum  customer  satisfaction,  and  that any
   customer missing his balls  should  suspect  local  personnel  of
   removing these necessary items.

   To re-order, specify one of the following:

   P/N 33F8462 - Domestic Mouse Balls

   P/N 33F8461 - Foreign Mouse Balls

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 9:30:09 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Multifinder Problem

>I can not access my DA's under Multifinder.  I am using System 6.0.5.
>The DA's are accessable under Finder but when I install Multifinder
>and try to use a DA I just get a beep.  Has anyone experienced this
>problem?
>
>[It sounds like you are out of memory.  -- Jon]

Actually, it sounds like you forgot to install DA Handler in your System
Folder. This file is ABSOLUTELY necessary if you want to run DA's under
MultiFinder.

tom coradeschi    <+>    tcora@pica.army.mil    <+>    tcora@dacth01.bitnet

[Oh dopey moi! Thanks to the 6000 others who pointed this out.  -- Jon]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 10:34:54 EDT
From: "Michael Lehnertz (Drummer)" <GWO101%URIACC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Music Sequencing

   Hi, I just purchased a Roland R-8 drum machine. The thing about this is
that it isn't really a drum machine. Now, I wish to use my Macintosh to run the
R-8. Actually, write patterns (grooves) on the Macintosh and have them run the
machine (via MIDI cable) and have the drum machine play. Also, I wish to use
my pads (and play to a click track) and have the Mac record what I play. Does
anyone know of any good software for this. I have seen MacDrums but I am not
sure if I wish to spend my cash on it if it won't suit my needs. Any help is
most appreciated. Thanks.

                                           - Mike -   (GWO101 at URIACC)
Acknowledge-To: <GWO101@URIACC>

------------------------------

Date: 09 Aug 90 13:29 GMT
From: LAICHI.SPT@applelink.apple.com (Axis, Hector Rojas, Chile,ICC)
Subject: Need help programming TSSnet

At this moment I am involved in a project that includes programming TSSnet
(this is a DECnet driver for the Macintosh).  I am using TSSnet Version 2.0.
So far the software has worked flawlessly.

However, in my own code I would like to query the name and/or node number of
the machine I am running on.  I haven't been able to find a way to do this.  I
assume this information can be found somewhere in one of the TSSnet files on
disk (in fact I think I already found the node number somewhere in a resource),
but I would like to know the "official" way.

Can someone who knows please respond?  Thank you very much.

-- Thomas Fruin                   Apple Chile

   AppleLink: LAICHI.SPT          (laichi.spt@applelink.apple.com)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Aug 90 15:11:55 EDT
From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham)
Subject: need sound file format

This has been probably discussed before, but I need information (and source
code if available too) about how to read and play "standard" sound file, as
produced by SoundEdit and others.  Any help would be greatly appreciated (and
would also get credit in the manual I'm writing).

						Hisham.

Hisham A. Abboud
Post Office Box 29375
Washington, D.C. 20017

Bitnet:    ABBOUD@CUA                           |
Internet:  ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU    |
    or     ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@192.31.193.2      |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 1990 9:40:38 PDT
From: LIVESEY@merry.rad.washington.edu (John Livesey)
Subject: Notebook computers & Mac

Do any of you have information/recommendations/preferences on any of the
"notebook" computers on the market?  I'm looking for something mainly for
text entry that is small (fits in a briefcase), lightweight (less than 2 - 3
pounds), and has a reasonable facility for transferring entered info to
the Mac.  (please no flames about toy computers - I have a Zenith 286
"laptop" system that I don't like to lug through airports).  I've been
considering the following:
          Cambridge Z88
          Atari Portfolio
          Tandy 102 or Personal WordProcessor
Price is also a considerable factor, as I'm not made of money.  Presently,
I usually leave my "laptop" at home and lose a lot of time which could be
more productively employed.  I analyzed my mobile computing needs and found
that text entry is what I do most when away from my desk.  An Outbound or a
Portable would be nice, but price and size are just too much.  Any ideas or
units that I'm not aware of or info on features/problems with these units?
Oh, I should also add that a QWERTY keyboard which accommodates my (large)
hands is a must, so that leaves out many of the organizers on the market.
Replies will be gratefully acknowledged and summarized, if there is enough
info and/or interest.

John Livesey
LIVESEY@Merry.Rad.Washington.Edu
LIVESEY@UWALOCKE (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 11:26:25 CDT
From: auvdeso@auvsun1 (John DeSoi)
Subject: portable Macintoshes

I'm looking for a portable Macintosh.  Speed is the primary
consideration, so I'm looking for something faster than what Apple has
to offer.  I remember seeing some information on an SE/30 portable
>From a company which I believe is called Dynamac, but I can't seem to
locate it.  Any information, comments, or pointers to recent reviews
on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

John

                               +--------------+

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 1990 8:41:13 CDT
From: DAVE@gergo.tamu.edu (DAVE MARTIN (MACDAVE))
Subject: PostScript Fonts: Mixed Symbol/Times?

Greetings!

	Does anyone know if there exists a PostScript typeface which combines
the mathmatical/scientific symbols (alpha, phi, etc.) with regular Roman text?
Since Microsoft limits Excel to using separate fonts only within separate
cells, I need a font which contains both. I looked at HiLowMed (in the Sumex
archives) and its predecessor HiLow (also in the archives) but neither seems
to be quit what I need. Any pointers, either for Shareware, Freeware, or
Commercial typefaces would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave Martin, Macintosh Systems Administrator
The Geochemical & Environmental Research Group
Texas A&M University
DAVE@GERGA.TAMU.EDU   BROOKS@AEOLUS.TAMU.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 90 13:41:13 bst
From: Costas <costas%titan.ee.ic.ac.uk@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Simple MacProgramming Questions

I have a couple of quick questions that I hope somebody will help me:

1. I'm creating a TEXT file using the standard 'C' command and the default
creator of the file (OStype) is actually '????'. What I'd like to know is how
one could change this.

2. Is there a way that I can get the reference number of an already created file
if I only now its name?

Thanks for yor help.

Costas

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 90 16:49 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Strange behavior

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this behavior. My Mac keeps
forgetting things. At first I couldn't believe it, since it was my wife who was
complaining that she had made some change to a document (WriteNow 2.0) only to
later find the change no longer there. I scolded her about her multiple copies
of files, and thought she was opening up an older version, etc.
Then we had some problems with HyperCard. I wrote a text file importation
script that reads a text file, line by line, and if the first character is
either a "$" or a "~" then that line gets put in a field on a card. Again, it
seemed that the script was skipping some lines, and I attributed it to my
wife not being careful enough about entering the "$" or "~" tags. But then I
tried importing the file into the same stack, on a different Mac, and it didn't
skip any lines!
More recently we've had changes made to a HyperCard stack disappear, either
when the stack was closed or compacted, we're not sure which.
We're running a Mac 512 with 2MB Human Touch upgrade (also 12MHz accel.),
System 4.2, Finder 5.3 and Hypercard 1.2.2. I've disabled all INITs, but still
seem to have the problem. We have an old HD20 which we leave on continuously,
though we shutdown the Mac at night to keep it from overheating (it does have a
system saver on it - more of a superstitious shutdown than one based on
reality). We have notice NO file corruption, only things missing, which is what
made me believe, I'm still not convinced otherwise, that this is an example of
operator error.

Any insights you might have would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Peter Jorgensen
Microcomputer specialist
Colgate University - Hamilton, NY 13346
AppleLink - U0523
BITNET - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU
tel - 315-824-1000 ext 742

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 03:38:47 GMT
From: Network News Administer <news@hoss.unl.edu>
Subject: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

In digest <9008110450.AA26435@sumex-aim.stanford.edu> drz@po.cwru.edu (David R. Zinkin) writes:

[Stuff deleted ...]

>   Now, I have an unusual request.  A co-worker of mine (who has
>no access to the network) asked me for pictures of the Teenage
>Mutant Ninja Turtles.  I haven't seen any in the Info-Mac archives,

[Stuff deleted ...]

>Thanks again,
>-- Dave Zinkin
>(drz@po.cwru.edu)

   Digitizing of artwork was recently discussed in Info-Mac.  It was
generally (not unanimously) decided that this was an infringement of the
copyright law, and all such artwork, and possibly some sounds, were
removed from the archives.  Please tell your friend that the original
posters will probably look much better, and, of course, they are
definitely legal to have.  Thanks.

Russell
mosemann@hoss.unl.edu

------------------------------

Date: 12 Aug 90 19:38 GMT
From: D1749@applelink.apple.com (Disini SW, Emmanuel Disini,PRT)
Subject: UUdecoding utility for Macs

hello! i'm trying to download some (text) files via a ftp mail server, and
they're coming in UUENCODED format.  <Is this a file-compression scheme on
Unix?> Does anyone know of a Mac utility to UUdecode these files?

thanks,
joel disini

ps

please cc: all responses to d1749@applelink.apple.com, as I'm haven't
subscribed to this group!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 90 09:13:06 EDT
From: Mark Edward Toomey <MTOOMEY@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: VPI BITNET address

     Is there anyone listening from VPI who could give me a BITNET

address there which I could use as an e-mail depository for a grad-

student in the Department of Clothing & Textiles? I need a faster

method of exchanging files than snail-mail and would appreciate it

greatly if someone with an account there would be willing to act as

a conduit for files. The volume would be moderate, mostly WordPerfect

files & simple notes. If anyone can help in this area, please

send responses to me direct. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Mark Edward Toomey

Mark Edward Toomey                     Disclaimer: I only speak for
Computer Services Specialist                       myself, although
College of Family & Consumer Sciences              sometimes I wonder
University of Georgia                              even about that!

BITNET: MTOOMEY@UGA
Internet: mtoomey@uga.cc.uga.edu
Voice: 404-542-4864 or 404-542-4651
FAX:   404-542-4862