[comp.sys.mac.digest] Resend: Info-Mac Digest V8 #153

Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (09/16/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 12 Sep 90       Volume 8 : Issue 153

Today's Topics:

      Administrivia
      Additional Portable screen
      Apple Aristle Network Product ???
      Async terminal emulations
      Backup to Suns?
      BinHex 4 Info?
      can't run MacDraw II on IIci
      creating postscript files on mac
      ELO and pairing programs for various tournaments wanted.
      External Video Driver for the Mac Portable
      FastFormat 1.4M?
      FAX modems on AppleTalk
      IINTX HD font Recovery
      Kermit to VM/CMS
      Large screen monitors for Mac Plusses
      Listserv
      Local HD vs. Ethernet cards
      LW as RSCS printer
      Mac IIci and IIfx ROM pictures
      Mac II color setting
      Macintosh Clip art
      MacWren Tech Manual?
      MS Word's formula glossery
      Possible HyperCard 1.2.5 bug
      Problem with WingZ 1.1a
      QuickDraw programming question?
      Reference Manager Software
      request for FoxBASE+ info
      Sad Mac
      Student Version of PSpice?
      syslog on aux
      Techmail from MIT(?)
      TeleFinder
      White Knight Patches
      Whither Passage?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 7 Sep 1990 19:49:50 PDT
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Administrivia

Info-Mac Readers:

There is a huge backlog of binaries right now, so anything you submit
won't appear for a while.  Please be highly selective about what you
send us.  As it is, we might be forced to be selective for you.  The
archive is quite large, and I wouldn't be surprised if the sumex-aim
system administrators told us to cut back.  Even if we remove many old
files, we still have about 20MB of binaries waiting to be added.

Unless the posting is time-critical, please hold off on new submissions until
you get the all clear signal from us.

Those of you who have sent in duplicate postings during the hiatus please
check /help/archive-queue.txt to see that we are not keeping two copies
around! Some of you sent notes but in the mile-high stack of mail messages
a few got lost. If there is duplication please mail info-mac-request.

The Info-Mac Moderators
info-mac-request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Sep 90 15:13:14 bst
From: Dr Cliff McKnight <C.Mcknight@loughborough.ac.uk>
Subject: Additional Portable screen

I'm posting this for a colleague...

We are a university based research group and
are currently concerned with the evaluation
of intelligent navigation systems for use in
vehicles. As part of our experimental
programme we hope to use an application
written in Plus/HyperCard on a Macintosh
Portable to present a variety of test stimuli
(icons and text messages) to drivers. We need
to display these stimuli on a second LCD which
can be attached to the dashboard.

Our problem is sourcing a second LCD that can
be driven via the "video out" port on the
Portable. We have considered removing the
screen from a second portable but the screen
characteristics of the Mac Portable are not
ideal for the range of ambient lighting
conditions that are experienced in vehicles,
since it is not backlit.

The portable's screen is an active-matrix LCD
with an array of 640*400 transistors and the
signals sent to the port are the same as those
sent to the screen. However, we are able to
obtain a third-party video card to convert
these signals to composite video (but not
RGB). The screen needs to be be backlit or
electro-luminescent and able to display
grayscales.

Despite extensive discussions with our local
Apple dealer and Apple UK we have been
unable to find a single third-party supplier in
Europe who can provide such a display. Does
anyone know of a suitable display?

Email me and I will summarize for the net.

Cliff McKnight (c.mcknight@uk.ac.lut)
HUSAT Research Institute
Loughborough University, UK

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 1990 10:44:25 CDT
From: DAVE@gerga.tamu.edu (Dave Martin)
Subject: Apple Aristle Network Product ???

Greetings!

	I was looking at a price list for Apple products available through
the Higher Education Purchase Program, and noticed under Networking a listing
for Aristotle. Could anyone tell me what this is? Just my curiosity getting
the better of me.

Thanks!

Dave Martin, Mac Systems Administrator
Geochemical & Environmental Research Group
Texas A&M University
DAVE@GERGA.TAMU.EDU     BROOKS@AEOLUS.TAMU.EDU     BROOKS@TAMVXOCN.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 90 11:52:53 MDT
From: ssds!clayc@uunet.uu.net (Clay Calhoun)
Subject: Async terminal emulations

Hi,

I'm looking for Async communications package(s) that run on:

     DOS
     Unix (ULTRIX, SCO, Interactive)
     Macintosh

Two of the required terminal emulations are Data General Dasher 412 and
462.

I know TERM (Century Software) has the multi-platform s/w - but the
correct terminal emulations.

Does anyone know of an answer......

===========
Cheers,
 clay
 ssds!clayc@uunet.uu.net

------------------------------

Date: 31-AUG-1990 12:50:57.95
From: NICOLE%FRSAC53.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Backup to Suns?

Here, at Saclay's  Theoretical Physics lab, we have several
Macintoshes connected to an ethernet network (we use Kinetics
EtherPort devices).

Sun workstations with large disks are also connected to the
network.

Question: Is there any software that allows to back-up the
Macintosh files on the Sun disks?  (e.g not using  800K floppies any
more).

Alain BILLOIRE

Service de Physique Theorique
CEN Saclay 91191 Gif-sur-Yvette    FRANCE

Bitnet          BILLOIR@FRSAC11
Decnet         32788::NICOLE

------------------------------

Date: 31 Aug 90 13:59:48 EDT
From: Bill Goodman <71101.204@compuserve.com>
Subject: BinHex 4 Info?

I am looking for a document which describes BinHex4 encoding.  Is such a
document available and, if so, would someone be kind enough to e-mail me a
copy?  I am the author of a compression utility called Compactor and I am
hoping to add BinHex4 capability to it.

Bill Goodman
71101.204@compuserve.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 90 13:52:40 WST
From: peterj@swanee.ee.uwa.oz.au (Peter E. Jones)
Subject: can't run MacDraw II on IIci

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>When I try to run MacDraw II on my IIci, I get bizarre mouse behavior
>and a garbled display.
I had a similar problem with a IIfx and a portrait display.  The change
was from 72 to 76 dots per inch.  Fixed with an update of MacDraw.
Symptoms were - mouse selected objects some distance away, lines etc
appeared in odd places, text was just as bad.  Must have had the number 72
hardwired in someplace.
Hope this might help (why didn't Apple warn developers?) - Peter Jones

------------------------------

Date: 29 Aug 90 08:24:00 CDT
From: "Tom Williams" <williamst@atcf.ncsc.navy.mil>
Subject: creating postscript files on mac

Hi.  We have a mac attached to our vax, but no printer. I went through the
archives about creating postscript files with the <command>F and <command>K
keys.  When I try this, it says it can't find the "LaserWriter" file.  There
is a laserwriter icon in the system folder.  I don't know much about macs, so
don't please don't flame me if this is a dumb question.   Please respond
directly to me, as I am not a member of this list.

Tom Williams
williamst@atcf.ncsc.navy.mil

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 90 15:24 +0100
From: Pieter Stouten <STOUTEN%EMBL.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ELO and pairing programs for various tournaments wanted.

I am looking for a program for the Macintosh to do the pairing for
various tournaments (Shogi, Go, Chess). It should at least be able to
deal with Swiss and McMahon systems and have an on/off switch for
taking the assignment of colours into account (in the case of Shogi and
Go, generally chance decides who has black in every individual game).
I am also interested in a program to calculate ELO points. Ideally, the
two programs should be integrated in one package.
Due to bad planning, I need the programs urgently !
All information is welcome. Thanks in advance,

           Pieter Stouten.

####  ##   ##  ###   #      Pieter Stouten
#     # # # #  #  #  #      EMBL, Biocomputing Programme
###   #  #  #  ###   #      Meyerhofstrasse 1, 6900 Heidelberg, West Germany
#     #     #  #  #  #      Bitnet: Stouten@EMBL     Phone: +49-6221-387 472
####  #     #  ###   ####   Telex:  461613 embl d    Fax:   +49-6221-387 306

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 90 21:51:11 EDT
From: dmg@lid.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: External Video Driver for the Mac Portable

When Apple announced the Mac Portable, they also announced a box you can
plug into the back which in turn could drive an Apple RGB Monitor.  Since
then, this device has yet to appear in an Apple Catalog.  Anyone have some
insight on this box?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Sep 90 11:13 PDT
From: Chris Thomas (AA6SQ)                 <CSMSCST@oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: FastFormat 1.4M?

Does a version of one of the nice fast format utilities for
800K disks exist for FDHD (1.4Mb) disks?

/Chris Thomas  - UCLA Office of Academic Computing
   (csmscst @ oac.ucla.edu, or @uclamvs.bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Sep 90 17:31 EDT
From: Greg Hamm <HAMM@BIOVAX.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: FAX modems on AppleTalk

Hi all,

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has actually tried out sending and
receiving FAXes to and from Macs using one of the many FAX modems now
available.  We are most interested in one of the ones which will sit on
AppleTalk and thereby be accessible to many users;  however, most of the
review articles I've read never tell you any practical details, e.g.,

	- do any of these beasts provide password protection, or
	  at least call logging, or can anyone on your appletalk
	  send reams to the Fiji Islands at will?

	- how does a network-shared modem deal with incoming FAXes?
	  where does it send them?

	- are these things just neat ideas, or do they *really* work?
	  what are the gotchas in everyday use?

Thanks,

Greg
Gregory H. Hamm                           || Phone:   (201)932-4864
Director, Molecular Biology Computing Lab || FAX:     (201)932-5735
Waksman Institute/CABM                    || BITNET:   hamm@biovax
P.O. Box 759, Rutgers University          || Internet: hamm@mbcl.rutgers.edu
Piscataway, NJ 08855 * USA                ||

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 90 02:10:44 EDT
From: pro-angmar!bcs-jim@alphalpha.com (Jim Rinaldo)
Subject: IINTX HD font Recovery

In answer to a question by rmangaldas@clarku about how to recover a font from
a crashed HD on a iiNTX, here is some advice from my experiences with it:

First, shut laser printer and hard drive off. [BTW, make sure to ALWAYS power
up the hard disk first for 30 secs when attached to an NTX].

Take the hard drive off the laser printer and attach it to a Mac that has
Apple's hard drive utilities on it.

Start up the mac [it was powered down when you attached that HD, right?], and
start up the Apple utility.

Run a test on whatever SCSI number the hard drive has.

Disconnect the hard drive and reconnect it to the laserwriter. Start up the
hard drive, laser printer and Apple's laserwriter font utility. Try doing a
catalog.

By Metamorphasis, from Altsys (MAKE SURE to get version 1.5!!!) which can grab
fonts from a hard disk or ROM. You must have the screen font still, or make a
dummy one with fontographer (Metamorph. explains this process in the
manual/Readme Files). Grab the font [which, BTW, can now be Type One!].

Note: If the top part doesn't work, the drive has probably given up the ghost.
The Operating System on LaserWriter Drives is really not very robust, and one
cannot use normal SUM II-like utilities to recover info from them [from my
understanding and D. Lancaster's PostScript column in Compu Shopper, the OS is
a simple PostScript shell, w/o all the nice"ities
of a normal SCSI drive]/

Hope this helps,
Jim Rinaldo
Managing Editor, Computer-Aided Publishing Solutions (CAPs)
The Boston Computer Society
BCS: (617) 367-8080, FAX: 367-8530

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 90 07:49:41 EDT
From: Michael Holtzman <HOLTZMAN%SJUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Kermit to VM/CMS

Hi y'all !
   I am trying to use Kermit for transferring files between a Mac and
a VM/CMS system with little success.  Does anybody out there have a
similar setup.  Any hints or advice would be appreciated.

I have MacKermit V 0.98(40) and V 0.98(63), connecting to Kermit-CMS V 4.2
(i think).  I need to transfer hqx files and/or Macbinary files.

Also, what other comm programs support Kermit??

Thanks again . . .

Mike Holtzman
Manager, Academic Systems Programming
St. John's University, Jamacia, NY
HOLTZMAN@SJUVM

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 90 11:56 PDT
From: Sharon Yoder <YODER@oregon.uoregon.edu>
Subject: Large screen monitors for Mac Plusses

Does anyone have any experiences, good or ill, with hooking large external
monitors (portrait or two pagers) to the Macintosh Plus?  I am distantly
contemplating such a venture, but I have no sense as to how much (if at all)
they slow down the Plus' already slow speed, or other things like that...
(I've seen advertisements for some two pagers in Mac User for under $1K,
and am tempted...)
\david john burrowes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 90 09:54:31 HAE
From: Robert David <RDAVID%LAVALVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Listserv

We are creating a new List, similar to Info-Mac (with mail and archives) but
on the topic of paradigmatic behaviorism.  So we will use the mail system
(like this bulletin) but we will have also to send files containing formatted
text (with graphics and all the attributes).  To do this, we will support the
Word 4.0 with compression in HQX format (Stuffit 1.5.1).  The problem is that
we also have to support IBM compatible users with Word Perfect 5.0.  I know
that they use compression scheme like .arc or .zip.

It's why I'm searching a compression format that can be used by both
operating system and eventually read by Word 4.0 (Mac) and Word Perfect 5.0
(IBM).  So I will appreciate all suggestions about the best way to distribute
and to maintain archives of files that have to be read by these two categories
of users.

If the only possibility is to maintain two versions of each file, what is the
best translator between Word 4.0 (Mac) and Word Perfect 5.0 (IBM) if you
consider that we have to support English, French, Spanish and Portuguese.  We
use actually MacLink Plus (EU 4.10) but we lose the graphics and a lot of
things like the footnotes.

Please, reply to me and I'll summarize to the net.
Thanks!

* ROBERT DAVID                        *  BITNET: RDAVID AT LAVALVM1
* DEPARTEMENT DE PSYCHOPEDAGOGIE      *  INTERNET: RDAVID AT LAVALVM1.CA
* FACULTE DES SCIENCES DE L'EDUCATION *  VOICE: 418-656-5033
* UNIVERSITE LAVAL                    *  FAX: 418-656-7347
* QUEBEC (QC) CANADA G1K 7P4          *

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 90 15:11:55 PDT
From: burke%pepvax.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Local HD vs. Ethernet cards

Hi all NetLanders,

I need some recommendations on what we should do here
at Pepperdine University.  We currently have 16 Mac SEs
(2 800k-FD, 1 meg RAM) in a classroom connected via
PhoneNet to a SE/30 (80 meg HD, 5 meg RAM) running
AppleShare v 2.01.  The current system works very well
except for the poor performance when more that 5 or 6
worekstations launch applications off the server at the
same time.  I know the reason, slow LocalTalk speed.
We currently have 2 ideas to improve performance and I
believe that each have their pros and cons.  Here is a
short description of the 2 possible plans:

A)  Install 40 meg HDs in all of the SEs and store
applications on the local HD.  Proven performance at
launch time but very hard to maintain over the long
haul because students easily add and subtract files
>From the HD. (Things can get really messed up, fast!)

B)    Install Ethernet cards and additional RAM in all of
the SEs and continue to store applications on the
server's HD.  Proven ease to manage (locked folders on
AppleShare volumes) but unknown performance at launch
time.  Will Ethernet speed in this environment rival
local HD performance?

Please respond to me directly and I will summarize to
Info-Mac if there is sufficient response.

Thank you very much,
Todd A. Burke
User Consultant
Pepperdine University

Email: burke@pepvax.bitnet
       burke@pepvax.pepperdine.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 90 15:43:15 CST
From: Larry Pickett <C4898%UMSLVMA.BITNET@umrvmb.umr.edu>
Subject: LW as RSCS printer

Does anyone know of a communications product which would allow a
LaserWriter to act as a RSCS printer.  What I have in mind is something
along the line of behavior available with pc lan program where a printer
attached to a pc running the 3270 emulation program can be addressed as
a RSCS printer.  MACDFT doesn't appear to be able to do that although
the rest of the 3270 stuff works well.  The Mac will probably be attached
to a token ring and the printer may be in the same appletalk zone or in
a different one.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 90 07:16 EST
From: RX80639%INDYLLY.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Mac IIci and IIfx ROM pictures

Those Cupertino whiz kids seem to be perpetuating a tradition of using up
excess Mac ROM space with interesting items.  In the past we have seen
pictures of various types magically emerge from the ROM.  Why even in the
Mac II ROMs there is an undocumented trumpet sound - if biological memory
isn't failing me.

I was told to do the following to a IIci and see what happens:
        Set the date to Sept. 20, 1989 (the release date)
        reboot and hold down cmd-option-c-i (yes all 4 keys simultaneously).
Well up popped a color picture of some Apple employees.

After being bored this past weekend I decided to try something similiar on my
IIfx.
        Set the date to March 19, 1990 (the release date)
        reboot and hold down cmd-option-f-x
Gee, I got another color picture.

Enjoy these bits of trivia!

Wayne Kauffman
RX80639@INDYLLY
Standard disclaimer form 1040 goes here . . .

To:   VMS MAIL ADDRESSEE            (BITNET::"INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU")

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 90 08:23 PDT
From: Jes                                  <CUSGJES@oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: Mac II color setting

A friend of mime from the Physics department would like to be able to
have his program determine and set the number of colors that a
Mac II is using (2, 4, 16, 256, etc).
Here is his message to me:

  JOAN-
  I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO DETERMINE HOW MANY COLORS THAT MACII IS
  USING FROM A PROGRAM.  (OTHER THAN GOING THROUGH THE CONTROL PANEL,
  AND RUNNING THE MONITOR PROGRAM.)  I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO SET
  IT TO ANOTHER NUMBER, AND THEN RESET IT BACK.  I CANNOT FIND ANYTHING
  IN INSIDE MACINTOSH TO EXPLAIN HOW TO DO THIS.  CAN YOU FIND OUT FOR
  ME?

If you know how, please send your reply directly to me and I will
summarize them for the net.

Thank you

Joan Slottow   CUSGJES@OAC.UCLA.EDU

Date: Sat, 1 Sep 90 16:11:43 EDT
From: tron@wpi.wpi.edu (Richard G Brewer)
Subject: Macintosh Clip art

Hi All!

Myself and a few friends are working on a project at college that teaches illiterate adults how to read, One of the essential parts of this program is the
use of the Macintoshes graphical interface between the student and the
computer.  What we are looking for is this - as much public domain Clip Art
as possible - it is essential that it be PD, as this product may become a
publicly distributed program.  Any art that readers of I-Mac can supply
would be greatly appreciated - please send to:

	tron@wpi.wpi.edu

Thank you much!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 90 14:49 PDT
From: Chris Thomas                         <CSMSCST@oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: MacWren Tech Manual?

Could someone please let me know where I might purchase a
tech manual for the Seagate/Imprimis/CDC (Mac)Wren Runner
drive?  The address or phone nr (or even the for-sure name)
of the current manufacturer of the Wren IV disks would be
helpful.  (Life was simpler before everyone was bought out
by someone else multiple times...)  To the list or direct OK.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 90 16:25:15 CDT
From: Yours truly <CBLIH%UAFSYSB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MS Word's formula glossery

Hello, we recently upgraded to Word 4.00B.  It includes some nifty
demo files with things like label making styles.  One item is a
Formula Glossary and a document with a couple lists of Greek letters
and there name.  You need to have the Symbol font to use that section.
The document also has a list of 'Other Symbols' and says that you can
'produce certain symbols in some fonts using the indicated key combinations.'
Certain symbols?  Some fonts?  Some of these characters appear to be
correct in Symbol font, like a character labeled 'uarrow' is an arrow
pointing up.  But other characters are obviously not right -- you must
change fonts to see the right character.  Has anyone gone through this
file and figured out what fonts should be used with each character.
For example, the character labeled 'infinity' is a degree symbol in
the Symbol font but is an infinity symbol in Times font.  That one is
easy.  But what about 'perp', 'surd', 'gg' and the rest?
   Thanks,
=-->   CB Lih   <--=
Macintosh Support / Disabled Student Computer Support
BITNET: CBLIH@UAFSYSB    AppleLink: U0669    Phone: 501-575-2905
US Mail: ADSB 220, University of Arkansas
         155 Razorback Road, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 90 12:25:16 -0700
From: August Hahn <hahna@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Possible HyperCard 1.2.5 bug

I've found a bug in HyperCard 1.2.5 (which may already be
known out there). On my MacII the visual effects don't work.
I don't have dissolve, iris, etc. It really spoils my presentation.
Has anyone else found this? On a friend's SE/30 the effects work
fine, so it's something about the MacII. I'm running system 6.05
(as is my friend's SE/30).

August Hahn

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 90 14:05 EDT
From: FRIEDMAN@BIOVAX.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: Problem with WingZ 1.1a

We have the educational version of WingZ 1.1a.  We run it mainly on our
MacIIX w/system 6.0.5.  When. When we launch WingZ the first time, there is no
problem.  The second time we launch it, the computer freezes.  Launching
of the application is done via On Cue!.  Has anybody else seen this problem.
It does not seem to matter if we have other apps running at the same time
or not.
Rich
Friedman@MBCL.rutgers.edu
Friedman@anchor.rutgers.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 90 13:09:39 EDT
From: bkirsch@nadc.nadc.navy.mil (B. Kirsch)
Subject: QuickDraw programming question?

Is there a way to quickly determine the number of pixels(BW and Color)
that are set within a given region in a given BitMap/PixelMap.

Thanks in advance,

           Barry Kirsch
MAIL:      Naval Air Development Center
           Code 5051
           Warminster PA, 18974-5000
PHONE:     (215) 441-1886
ARPANET:   bkirsch@NADC.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 90  12:44 GMT
From: Big Nose <LAWA%IAPE.AFRC.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Reference Manager Software

Anybody got any advice, hints, suggestions or experiences to recount about
reference managing software. My references are currently in a custom Hyper-
Card stack, but at 550 rreferences and growing, it's a bit slow on an SE. I've
looked at Endnote and WordRef, but neither seemed easy to use, or gave me all
the goodies I've got in my homemade stack. Given the PC/Mainframe/Mac setup
at work, connectivity would also be a major advantage.

Reply to me please and I'll summarise.

Cheers,

Andy Law.

LAWA@UK.AC.AFRC.IAPE                               Big Nose in Edinburgh

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Sep 90 04:29 MST
From: Louie@system-m.phx.bull.com
Subject: request for FoxBASE+ info

I would appreciate any comments about FoxBASE from current users.  In
particular:
          1) Ease of Use
          2) Ease of Learning
          3) Compatibility with Inits/CDEV's (anybody running with 10+?)
          4) Compatibility with 6.0.5
          5) How stable is it under Finder &/or MF
          6) Error recovery (does it crash if you design a report/entry "wrong"?)
          7) If you switched from another relational database, how hard was it
             to import the data (and why did you switch)
          8) Any other comments you might like to add

Thanks in advance!

[If anybody has similar comments about FileForce, feel free to add your $.02 !]
                                                            Dan Louie

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 90 12:48:11 EDT
From: Jean Brunet <R31631%UQAM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Sad Mac

Once in a while I get a sad mac with ID = 0000000F and 00000001. Where can I
find the meaning of these codes? Thanks in advance for your help. Jean.

******************************************                     **
* JEAN BRUNET                            *    QQQ QQQ QQQ   --------
* DEPT. DES COMMUNICATIONS               *   QQQ QQQ QQQ    NETNORTH
* UNIVERSITE DU QUEBEC A MONTREAL (UQAM) *  QQQ QQQ QQQ      BITNET
* C.P. 8888, SUCC. 'A', MONTREAL, QC.    *         QQQ   --------------
* CANADA, H3C 3P8                        *        QQQ  R31631@UQAM.BITNET
* TEL: 514-987-4897/ res: 514-659-5864   *       QQQ   ------------------
******************************************             ******************

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 90 14:04 EST
From: D_HAGBERG%uvmvax.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Student Version of PSpice?

Hi All...
     I've seen a demo version of the regular PSpice for the mac, but
I was wondering if there was a student version at a _reasonable_ price.
If you know of it, or perhaps own it, could you send me some info?
Thanks...
                                -=- D. J. Hagberg
                                -=- BITNET:  D_HAGBERG@UVMVAX
"I only express objective fact, not opinions.  I need no disclaimer."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 90 08:26:01 EDT
From: WHITE V L <vyw@stc06.ctd.ornl.gov>
Subject: syslog on aux

Has anybody succeeded in getting syslog() to work under AU/X?
I haven't.  I am using code that writes to the syslog on another
Unix system, but it fails to write to the proper log file or
to write anything to the console on the mac.

We are running 2.0, the first version we received that even claimed to
support syslog().  I have rounded up the usual suspects:  the daemon
is running, the configuration file is setup to write messages for
daemon.notice to /usr/adm/messages, I do an openlog() specifying
LOG_CONS and LOG_PID and also specifying LOG_DAEMON, I do syslog()
specifying LOG_NOTICE.  I have tried
adding a setlogmask(LOG_UPTO(LOG_ERR)) and a setlogmask(LOG_UPTO(LOG_EMER)).
(Maybe I'm really blowing it on the setlogmask; I haven't used it
on any other system and was confused by the man page.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Vicky White
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
vyw@ornl.gov

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 90 22:23 EST
From: <MACLAB%VUVAXCOM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Techmail from MIT(?)

I read in a posting on AppleLink that there is a free mail system that was
developed by MIT and that is now being distributed to anyone who asks.

My problem is that I cannot find it, nor can I find out the name of anyone that
I could contact to get it.  Can someone give me the archive that it is in, or
the name of someone that I could get it from.

Thanx
Bill Cockayne
Villanova University
Apple Student Rep - Certified Apple Tech - Mac Systems Engineer

BITNET: Maclab@VUVAXCOM
Applink: STU666

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 90 21:11 EST
From: <MACLAB%VUVAXCOM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: TeleFinder

Does anyone have a copy of the TeleFinder Server and Client software?
I do not have the money to make the long distance call and get the
programs, so I was wondering if someone could u/l to the info-mac
archives?

Please respond to me, not the board.

Bill Cockayne
Villanova University
Apple Student Rep - Certified Apple Tech - Mac Systems Engineer

Bitnet: Maclab@VUVAXCOM
Applelink: STO666

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Sep 90 20:06:03 MDT
From: Stanley F. Sobczynski <SSOBCZYNSKI@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil>
Subject: White Knight Patches

Just a brief note to all users of the White Knight communications program.
Scott Watson has agreed to allow us to post the update patch files for his
fine programs in the Macintosh repository section of the SIMTEL20.

These files are in STUFFIT format and can be found in the PATCHES section
of the archives.  As new updates come out they will also be posted.  We
hope that this will make it easier for those of you who use the program
to obtain the updates (especially those overseas).

FTP transfers from SIMTEL20 can be made with user-name "anonymous." Use GUEST
for the password.  The net address is WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL.

Happy Mac'ing,
Stan Sobczynski
Maintainer
EMAIL: SSOBCZYNSKI@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
-------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 90 17:39 EDT
From: "Roger Marks, Boulder, CO. 303-497-3037" <MARKS@enh.nist.gov>
Subject: Whither Passage?

Can someone give me the name and address of the distributor of the graphing
program called "Passage"?  Thanks,

Roger
MARKS@ENH.NIST.GOV,MARKS@NBSENH.BITNET

End of Info-Mac Digest