Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (09/17/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 16 Sep 90       Volume 8 : Issue 154

Today's Topics:

      [*] CoCoA 1.0c posting
      [*] Help Help 1.0b4
      [*] HyperShanghai 1.0
      [*] info-mac/misc/nisus-biblio-macros.hqx
      [*] Macintosh Video Output Report
      [*] Use Paint V1.23
      a cd rom routine in sumex-aim library
      And Milo?
      Apple System
      backup for Mac2fx
      binary download to mac
      BinHex woes...
      Bomb
      CADLINK for Mac
      ethernet packet watcher
      File Index stack with scrollable windows wanted
      Generating Postscript file under multifinder?
      Hard Disks in Public Lab Environments
      Hypercard text question
      Ideas for a Micro Lab Setting
      Keeping track of GRADES
      key capture/mouse movement capture programs
      LisaWrite
      Mexican stuff
      OnCue and MultiFinder 6.1b9?
      Polish Fonts
      Theorist?
      Vanishing System Folder Files
      VGA on the Mac?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 03 Jul 90 13:20:06 CDT
From: "Lee Schneider" <MATHPG2%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] CoCoA 1.0c posting

Following is a binhexed stuffit file containing CoCoA 1.0c as described in
Info-Mac V 8 #108.  See that issue for more information.

Regards,

Lee Schneider, Dept. of Mathematics, University of Missouri-Columbia
MATHPG2@UMCVMB.BITNET or MATHPG2@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU

[Archived as /info-mac/app/cocoa-10c-part1.hqx; 191K
             /info-mac/app/cocoa-10c-part2.hqx; 130K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jul 90 23:40 EDT
From: Sig Porter <SPorter@dockmaster.ncsc.mil>
Subject: [*] Help Help 1.0b4

Help Help is an example of a specific help system built on a generic Help
kernel.  Using only Resedit and Help Help, you can easily build a help
subsystem for your application.

Help ties blocks of text to menu selections.  Thus it is easy to explain
the functions of the menu items in your application.  By adding
additional menus, you can also present information on more general
subjects.

Help has basic text editing built in--this doesn't help your users, but
it makes it simple for you to tie your text to the menu item it relates
to.

While I would expect you to sublaunch your help subsystem from your
application, Help Help is an example showing that it is also useful as a
stand-alone application.

   Sig Porter
   SPorter@dockmaster.ncsc.mil

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/help-help-10b4.hqx; 31K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jul 90 15:22 EDT
From: <MHOUSER%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] HyperShanghai 1.0

Hi Netters!

Sent with this message is version 1.0 of HyperShanghai, a HyperCard translation
of the matching game played with Mah Jong tiles.  We got tired of straining our
eyes trying to differentiate between the weird chinese symbols so our tiles have
musical symbols instead (look for more symbol sets in future releases).

This is a HyperCard stack which will run only with HyperCard version 1.2 or
higher. It is a StuffIt archive when debinhexed.

This stack is offered as sharewear!  If you like it and keep it please send a
$5 licensing fee.  This fee will entitle you to updates and put you on our
mailing list for information on other products.  Whether you keep it or not
pass it on to your friends.  Thanks and enjoy!

InterStellar Softwear
Michael T. Houser
Shari M. Houser
2 Graystone Ave.
Granby, MA  01033

[Archived as /info-mac/card/hyper-shanghai.hqx; 160K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Jul 90 13:13:51 EDT
From: Grobbins (IDM) <grobbins@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject: [*] info-mac/misc/nisus-biblio-macros.hqx

Nisus 2.x Bibliography Macros
by Grobbins 2/90

These simple macros were written so my roommate could manage
bibliography references, but they can be used for maintaining any
simple database in Nisus. They are faster and cleaner than the
database macros provided by Paragon.

Requirements: Nisus version 2.0 or higher

Nisus Bibliography Macros are public domain.

	grobbins@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/nisus-bibliography-macros.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 11:15:31 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Macintosh Video Output Report

I have pulled together the various bits and pieces of information I
have gathered over the last year concerning hardware to output Macintosh
images to video (television).  I make no pretense that the report is
complete or up-to-date -- it's a very fast moving field.  However,
I think many people will find at least the vendor contact information valuable.
Be aware that you will need to know such terms as chroma-keying, NTSC,
and genlock to understand the (very brief) product descriptions within.

Good luck, vidkids!

[Archived as /info-mac/report/video-output.txt; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jul 90 19:54 EDT
From: R. Mark Fleming <FLEMINGM%QUCDN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Use Paint V1.23

Use Paint is an application to view or print pictures contained on CD-ROMs.
It is FreeWare!

* File types it will handle are:
      StartUp Screens (SCRN)
      MacPaint (PNGT)
      Picture (PICT)
      Color PICT files
      EPSF Preview files.
* Log file can be created if file printed or displayed
* Sub-directories can be optionally be scanned.

Enjoy, Mark

[Archived as /info-mac/app/use-paint-123.hqx; 35K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 90 09:47:37 -0500
From: Allan H levy <alevy@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: a cd rom routine in sumex-aim library

I have been looking for an XCMD for HyperCard that will allow a script to
eject a CD-ROM disk from the drive. A programmer at Berkeley, now on
vacation, says he has submitted such a routine with other system support
tools to the SUMEX-AIM library.  I have been browsing through info-mac but
can not find a title that appears applicable.
Can you assist me?  Thanks for your help.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Sep 90 18:44 +0200
From: horacio@cc.unizar.es
Subject: And Milo?

I have just read a old note about Milo, which says is a
competitor of Theorist.

I'll be grateful if somebody sends me (or to the list, if it is ethical) a
comparation between the two programs. Thanks

Alejandro Rivero
Zaragoza Univ
Spain

horacio@cc.unizar.es

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 10:55:41 EDT
From: Anup Patel <patel@mwunix.mitre.org>
Subject: Apple System

Can anyone at Apple clarify why LaserPrep and LaserWriter 6.0 have not been
included in the standard software delivered with all new Macs?

Thanks.

Anup Patel
The MITRE Corp.
patel@mdf.mitre.org

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 1990 11:13:19 PDT
From: nethery.parc@xerox.com
Subject: backup for Mac2fx

Date    9/11/90
Subject backup for Mac2fx
>From    Kee Nethery
To  hockleyn, info-mac

I purchased a removeable disk unit direct from DPI (in the 415 area code).  It
uses 40Mb removeable disk cartridges that cost around $100 each.  The drive
cost around $750.  I like it a lot.  The disk is useable as a disk and backups
are a breeze when going to a 40Mb cartridge.  I figured tape would not be as
easy to find stuff on.  BMUG uses lots of removeable cartridge drives and
their resident hard disk expert said that the DPI drive was the most reliable
due to (he thinks) the disk orientation and the rating of the power supply.  I
know others who have DPI removeable cartridge drives and they like them
bunches.

------------------------------

Date: 04 SEP 90 19:03:15
From: GAUTHIER%FRCICT81.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: binary download to mac

HELP!
I work on a Cyber nos/ve system and imported a binary file for
MAC from Simtel20 via FTP to an IBM3290.
The file on the mac cannot be made into an application with
Binhex5. It was downloaded via a program called MacConnect which
does binary downloading . The file has a strange header which
indicates that it contains a Stuffit archive. But the format is
not that of a Binhex5 file (128 bytes header).
Could you confirm that the stuffit archives(simtel) are transcoded
with Binhex5 or tell me what algorythm is used. Here is how the
file  was transfered:
FTP to 3290  then  X25 to Cyber then  modem to MacConnect (7 bits)
Simtel 20 -->TSO --> Nos/VE --> Mac
Thanks for any hint why it does not work?
Gauthier@frcict81
Toulouse France

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Sep 90 9:06:41 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: BinHex woes...

>Many thanks for all the responses on my binhex problems.  For your
>information, however, I would like to mention that BinHex v5.0 is
>available via anonymous ftp at oswego.oswego.edu (129.3.1.1) under the
>pub/mac/binhex directory.  Version 5.0 has sucessfully decoded
>everything I've downloaded from the info-mac archives without any
>changes to the files.

But DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T *EVER* use BinHex 5 to encode
files for uploading to sumex or any other archive site. BinHex 5 is NOT a
newer release of BinHex 4! It is an entirely different program, which writes
files in an entirely different format. Yes, it will do the Hex->Binary
conversion for you OK. It will not, however, do the Binary->Hex. You are
better off using StuffIt 1.5.1, which will do all your BinHex work in a
speedy and compatible fashion. And, hey, you need it anyway to unstuff the
archived files. Or, if you're on a U*IX system, get mcvert from sumex and
do all that crap in U*IX. That way you end up downloading the Binaries,
which are smaller than the BinHex files, to your Mac. Faster downloads,
don't you know...

tom coradeschi    <+>    tcora@pica.army.mil    <+>    tcora@dacth01.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 12:28:52 EDT
From: Jean Brunet <R31631%UQAM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Bomb

Hi! I am currently using sytem (6.0.4) and finder (6.1.4) on my Mac II. When I
want to read the information on the finder,to change the multifinder partition,
the system bombs.Any reason to explain this peculiar phenomena. Thanks for your
 comments. P.S. After such an event I must use Disk First Aid to repair my hard
disk. Thanks again.

******************************************                     **
* JEAN BRUNET                            *    QQQ QQQ QQQ   --------
* DEPT. DES COMMUNICATIONS               *   QQQ QQQ QQQ    NETNORTH
* UNIVERSITE DU QUEBEC A MONTREAL (UQAM) *  QQQ QQQ QQQ      BITNET
* C.P. 8888, SUCC. 'A', MONTREAL, QC.    *         QQQ   --------------
* CANADA, H3C 3P8                        *        QQQ  R31631@UQAM.BITNET
* TEL: 514-987-4897/ res: 514-659-5864   *       QQQ   ------------------
******************************************             ******************

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 90 13:07 GMT
From: NOW the fun begins <MECOMAIDIN%vax1.ucg.ie@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CADLINK for Mac

Anyone ever heard of CADLINK for the MAC ? What company sells it and
what's it like ? Any and all info much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin Madden.

mecomaidin@vax1.ucg.ie

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 1990 12:48:57 PDT
From: nethery.PARC@xerox.com
Subject: ethernet packet watcher

Date    9/11/90
Subject ethernet packet watcher
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac

I don't know of any Public Domain software for the Mac that will watch
ethernet packets.  On the DOS side you can buy a Sniffer from Network General
or the LANalyzer from Excelan/Novell for $15000+ US dollars.  On the Mac side
you can purchase NetMinder from Neon Software for under $500.  Compared to DOS
platform prices, it's a steal.  Their internet address is
D5969@AppleLink.Apple.Com

Kee Nethery
Institute for Research on Learning

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 90 22:48 N
From: Mark Yeager <YEAGER%sc2a.unige.ch@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: File Index stack with scrollable windows wanted

I'm looking for a simple Hypercard stack similar to the File Index Stack
that comes bundled with Hypercard, but with scrollable windows. Other
embellishments are fine. I know, DIY, but I haven't bought myself enough
time to learn how to do it yet. Obliged,
-- .- .-. -.-  -.-- . .- --. . .-.
Mark Yeager   ->        yeager@cgeuge52.BITNET         yeager@sc2a.unige.ch
     Univ. of Geneva, Dept. Biochemistry, Sciences II, 30 quai E. Ansermet,
 CH-1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland  TEL:+(41 22) 702 6485  FAX:+(41 22) 29 6102

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 90 17:36 PST
From: CHOE@tahoma.phys.washington.edu
Subject: Generating Postscript file under multifinder?

I wonder if anybody knows how to generate a postscript file under multifinder.
I tried usual option-F or command-K method at the print dialog but the print
monitor always intercepted and tried printing!
Thanks.
Jay Choe.
choe@phast.phys.washington.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 1990 14:57 CDT
From: Kevin Coffel <KCOFFEL%UMINN1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard Disks in Public Lab Environments

I'd like to send an open call for input on the issues concerning
hard disks in public labs.  My main interests are outlined below:

1) Control of viruses-
   A) What preventative programs are labs using- PD or commercial
   B) How often are the disks checked with disinfectant or something
        similar.  Does anyone use any sort of time delayed checker, etc.
   C) Are many people using a dedicated virus checking machine for
        the users' disks.

2) Control of users saving files (data or applications) on the HD's
   Generally, have the lab managers/attendants been responsible for
   periodically removing stray files or is there an automated process
   to delete unwanted files.  As well, is it common practice to keep
   a copy of stray documents in case the user goofed and accidentally
   saved on the hard disk rather than their own floppy.

3) Prevention of users accidentally/deliberately deleting important
   files. (Such as system files, licensed applications, etc...)
   As well, users making uncommon modifications that will more than
   likely confuse the next user.  For example, modifying the MS Word
   menus or any other pref file for that matter.

4) Has anyone found a happy medium that allows the users to utilize
   the hard drive yet frees lab employees from a constant battle of
   "cleaning" hard drives?    I've thought about locking the HDs
   with some password protection but that frequently doesn't allow
   enough "write" access.  For exemple, writting to the clipboard
   or modifying pref files, or even temporarily putting a large
   application on the hard drive can be restricted using this method.

I would appreciate that any input on the subject be sent directly to
me.  I will then compile it and send it back here.  My e-mail address
is: Kcoffel@vm1.spcs.umn.edu or bitnet--Kcoffel@uminn1.

Thank you very much for your help,
Kevin Coffel
Univ of Minn/St. Paul Computing Services

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 1990 12:52:04 PDT
From: nethery.PARC@xerox.com
Subject: Hypercard text question

Date    9/11/90
Subject Hypercard text question
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac

this script (or a debugged version of it) will dump the contents of all your
fields into a text file on your disk.  It's not fancy and it's not elgant but
it should do the trick.  Try it out on a small three card version of your
rolodex just in case I have used the wrong arguments for some of the standard
hypercard functions.  So, try it and then if it don't work, get your hypertalk
manual and correct it.  Have fun.

Kee Nethery
Institute for Research on Learning

on dumpdata
 put "data dump" into thefile
 open file thefile
 put the number of cards into numcards
 repeat with x = 1 to numcards
  go to card x
  put the number of card fields into cdfldnum
  put the number of fields into fldnum
  repeat with y = 1 to cdfldnum
   if cdfldnum is 0 then exit repeat
   set cursor to busy
   put "card" && x & "/" & numcards && "cdfld" && y into msg
   put the name of cd fld cdfldnum & return into thedata
   put cd fld cdfldnum & return & return after thedata
   write thedata to file thefile
  end repeat

  repeat with y = 1 to fldnum
   if fldnum is 0 then exit repeat
   set cursor to busy
   put "card" && x & "/" & numcards && "fld" && y into msg
   put the name of cd fld fldnum & return into thedata
   put fld fldnum & return & return after thedata
   write thedata to file thefile
  end repeat
 end repeat
end dumpdata

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 14:01:37 -0500
From: swinnea@emx.utexas.edu (J. Steven Swinnea)
Subject: Ideas for a Micro Lab Setting

   I have just been given the job of making the microcomputer lab in
our Department of Chemical Engineering work more efficiently.  Our lab
consists of about 20 dual floppy Mac SE's connected to a MacII server
running Appleshare.  There are three or four AppleTalk IWII's for
local printing and a Fastpath connection to the campus ethernet for
remote laser printing on printers maintained by our computer center.
Each SE has a serial connection to the campus mainframe port
contention system (MICOM).  There are a dozen or so DOS machines in
this lab connected to nothing at the moment.
   I would appreciate any comments that anyone has about our current
environment.  I would like to get students using the ethernet rather
than the serial lines for mainframe communication but I'm not sure
about the capacity of our LocalTalk network to handle the traffic.  It
also seems that the server is very slow at peak times.  Is this a
network problem or just the symtoms of an overworked server?  The
current method of software distribution appears to be to put several
copies of class software on the server and having the students play
'tag' trying to get to the unopened applications first. Is Lab
Launcher a good solution to this?  What is an effective method for
reducing virus infestation in this environment?  Any suggestions as to
what the ideal hardware/software setup necessary to make a small
network such as this operate efficiently would be appreciated.  The
faculty is open to changes within reason but I am the person who needs
to tell them what changes need to be made.  I'd be more than happy to
prepare a report of any answers I get and submit to individuals and
the archives.  I know that a lot of this has been discussed
previously, but I haven't actively needed most of the information
until recently.
  The second part of my new postion is to help the ChE faculty
increase and unify the computer content of their courses.  The would
like for me to help develop problems around available software and
also introduce them to new software suitable for their classes.  So, I
am also looking for programs that operate on any platform which can be
used in process design, reactor design, fluid flow, distillation,
thermodynamics and so on.  A lead to a good simultaenous ODE solver
package would be a big help.

Thanks,

Steve Swinnea
Dept. Materials Sci. & Engr.
ETC 9.114
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas  78712

swinnea@emx.utexas.edu
chaa013@utxvm.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 90 08:49:04 EST
From: Jane_Miller%CARLETON.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Keeping track of GRADES

Hi,
One of the professors here at Carleton Univsity (Ottawa), is looking for
a package (shareware or commercial) that will help him keep records of
grades, and doing bell-curves as well. He's now using MS File on a MacPlus,
but finds it very slow. Does anyone out there have any ideas or
suggestions?
Please respond directly to me, and I'll summarize to the net.
Thanks in advance.......................Dr. Jane Miller
.......................................JANE_MILLER@CARLETON.CA

------------------------------

Date: 11 Sep 90 12:15:00 MDT
From: "Adrienne" <lee_a@clipr.colorado.edu>
Subject: key capture/mouse movement capture programs

Hi!  I'm a graduate student in cognitive psychology.  I like using
HyperCard for running experiments, but I'd like to run experiments using
other pieces of software that do not necessarily allow me access to collect
key stroke/timing or mouse movement/timing information.  Does any one have
any information about such programs, how well they work, and how much they
cost?

Thanks!  Adrienne

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 1990 11:08:50 PDT
From: nethery.parc@xerox.com
Subject: LisaWrite

Date    9/11/90
Subject LisaWrite
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac, suehay

Wow! a Lisa question.  Do you still need to eraser the board slot contacts
when they get corroded?  LisaWrite, OK here's the trick.  Lisa comes with a
terminal emulator LisaTerm.  The Mac also has bunch-o-terminal emulators.  The
easy solution is to put a modem on the Lisa and call a Mac and then copy and
paste the ascii text from the LisaWrite document into LisaTerm and caputer it
on the Mac.  If you have lots of files, you might want to have someone build a
simple cable to connect the two and go as fast as the two terminal programs
will allow.  The Lisa was slow but what a joy it was compared to the
alternatives.

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 12:32:49 EST
From: Juan Pablo <UOG00033%VM.UoGuelph.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mexican stuff

Hi, Macfans:

Does anybody out there have pictures of mexican stuff?
Flags, seals or any kind of artwork are more than welcomed.
Please e-mail to:
uog00033@vm.uoguelph.ca
uog00033@UOGUELPH.BITNET

Thanks a lot,

Juan "a lonely mexican in Canada" Pablo

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Sep 90 22:24 N
From: "Gary T. Czychi" <CZYCHI%CSGHSG5A.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: OnCue and MultiFinder 6.1b9?

Hi there,

I've been just checking out OnCue Demo V.1.3 from ICOM Simulations and find
it a very good utility.

However, I've installed MultiFinder 6.1b9 on my machine so that OnCue mixes
up the installed DA's with my applications.

Somewhere I have read that there is a new version of OnCue (Demo) which can
handle that. (Or is there a path which I can apply?)

Thanks for any help,

Gary

        Gary T. Czychi             University of St.Gallen, Switzerland

                czychi@csghsg52.BITNET               (preferred)
                czychi@bernina.ethz.ch.UUCP          (CZYCHI@ETHZ.uucp)

                        Tel.: --41 / 71 / 57 17 22

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 16:06:40 EDT
From: Marian_Krzyzowski@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Polish Fonts

ate: Tue, 21 Aug 90 18:12 +0100
>From: Pieter Stouten <STOUTEN%EMBL.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Polish Fonts - Where and how can I get them ?

Hello,

Can anybody provide me with Polish fonts or direct me to somebody
who can ? Alternatively, would somebody be willing to change an
existing font (preferably Times or Helvetica), so that it can be
used to type Polish. The Polish alphabet is almost a normal
latin alphabet (not cyrillic or anything), but it has some diacritical
marks which no other alphabet has. Specifically: an "l" with a bar,
an "o" and a "z" with an accent-aigu, a "z" with a dot on top, and an
"a" and an "e" with sort of a tail (similar to a cedille).
Since Poland is rapidly becoming a Western country, Apple should
consider producing a Polish system as well. Until that happens,
I would be very happy, if at least I could have a Polish font.
Thanks in advance.

For over a year I have been using a Polish version of Times called Czasy
and a Polish Helvetica called Szwajcarskie from Allotype Typographics,
located at 1600 Packard, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, U.S.A. (telephone:
313-663-1989).  These downloadable laser fonts are interchangeable with
normal Times and Helvetica and their keyboard configuration is close to
the Polish keyboard.  They're priced under $100 apiece.  Highly r
ecommended and they're hometown grown!

Marian Krzyzowski
School of Business Administration
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor

------------------------------

Date: 5 Sep 90 18:33 +0200
From: horacio@cc.unizar.es
Subject: Theorist?

Does anyone tasted/tested the program Theorist? I want to say, the new
program for doing Maths that appears in the June (or July) issue of BYTE.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 15:33:48 EDT
From: r.aminzade@lynx.northeastern.edu
Subject: Vanishing System Folder Files

I have been the recipient of several virus "false alarms," and hope
I am not starting one.  However the following is bizarre and
incomprehensible to me .

I was called today by a staff person who runs a small lab of IICX machines
(I think 2 megs of memory, 80 meg disks...not sure).  For reasons that
will be clear later, we don't know just which INITs or CDEVs he was
running.

He was trying to put a copy of "PrintMonitor" in his system folder,
and got a "file could not be copied..that name is already taken."
message.  However, the file wasn't there!
On inspection (from the finder...) the system folder seemed to
have only 14 files.  Missing were many that were needed to boot
the machine (System for example).  He also noticed that, though
the Laserwriter file wasn't present,  printing to the LaserWriter
was no problem!  The system folder was "blessed," but there was no system
file in it! The machine could reboot, but if you copied the whole system
folder to a floppy disk you only got the 14 files, and, of course, couldn't
boot from that disk.

I'll mention that rebuilding the desktop hadn't helped (he
did it several times, I did it once).

LaserPrep was still there...LaserWriter was missing.  On further
inspection, we discovered that all the expected files that would
SORT ALPHABETICALLY after LaserWriter were  the missing ones! (AHA,
I felt like Sherlock Holmes).

For the heck of it, I tried opening the system folder, copying a
file, and renaming it ZZZ.  If we then opened and closed the  system folder
it wasn't there any more! This worked for any > "LaserWriter" name.
The finder window would read "15 files" before the open/close, "14 files"
afterwards.  Disk space was reduced as usual when the new copy was made,
and wasn't reallocated when the file disappeared (this makes me wonder
how many "Word Temp" files are disappearing and hogging up disk space!)

Inits that fall off the alpha cliff  (this includes Disinfectant Init
because of the high-ascii character prepended) don't appear to be in the
system folder, but their icons SHOW UP AT BOOT TIME.  We saw only
Disinfectant and Gatekeeper Aid (I know, they don't need to both be there..).

Other oddities or observations:

Resedit can't see the files, so it's not just that their invisible
bit was flipped.

SFfile doesn't ever see these files in any program, but programs
can execute them.  For example,Font/DA
mover can't open the System file from SFfile, but if you double-click
on the Font/DA mover application it can find--and opens--the system file!
All fonts and DAs show up in Font/DA mover's scrolling fields.

One last twist.  Just before this occurred, someone tried to load
a copy of ON Location's demo version.  Coincidentally, this demo
version doesn't work with files starting with A-L.   For a while I got
a strange idea that ON Location's demo mucks with the disk's directory,
 but that seems too unlikely...I think.

Lastly: we haven't tried zapping the PRAM and we haven't looked at
the disk or its directory with a block editor.  Pretty sure it's
system 6.0.4, but at least system 6.0.n anyway.

This machine is in a public lab setting and is being used by
students for assembly language and C programming, which means that
ANYTHING could be happening.  Virus or other rogue code?
I doubt it, but who knows?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 1990 12:47:18 PDT
From: nethery.PARC@xerox.com
Subject: VGA on the Mac?

Date    9/11/90
Subject VGA on the Mac?
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac

Are there any video cards for the Mac that can be rigged to drive a VGA
monitor?  I know the Apple card can be rigged to drive PAL or NTSC.  Any ideas
if there is a way to drive VGA?  Thanks,

Kee Nethery
Institute for Research on Learning
nethery.parc@xerox.com

End of Info-Mac Digest