Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (09/19/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 18 Sep 90       Volume 8 : Issue 156

Today's Topics:

      [*] drinks
      [*] ExampleDraw Updater.sit
      [*] MacMimic.hqx
      [*] Mombasa Version 1.1 (a ShareWare shanghai like game)
      [*] New Summary
      [*] uu-decoder 2.0
      [*] WK1107-08Patch.hqx
      address finder / white pages
      Apple System
      AppleTalk Zone from within HyperCard
      Application quit unexpectedly ID=1?
      BITFTP
      Colorized cursor for Mac II users
      Conversion TROFF documents into MS Word
      Educational Ordering Delays
      EtherTalk Lab Help
      Flipping the page counter on a laserwriter-plus
      Found 4d books!
      LaserWriter/Prep 6.0
      LaserWriter Internal Postscript Calls info wanted
      Looking for Alias 1.01
      MacWrite II translators
      NCSA Telnet for the MAC:  How to do anonymous FTP?
      SCSI termination:  IIfx vs. 25-pin
      Search program for newspaper archives?
      Security software
      Translating between mainframe and word processor file formats
      Vanishing System Folder Files
      Zoombar versus WindowShade

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sat, 7 Jul 90 10:28 MDT
From: Bernie <BSWieser%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] drinks

Well folks, the first beta version of MicroB-Artender is now available.
I've tried to match glass types to the drinks, and there are probably a
zillion errors even though I edited the data for hours (and hours).
Have fun trying out the drinks in this HyperCard(tm) stack, and please
send me your comments, queries, and more recipes!

Bernie Wieser       "The first warez of summer."
BSWieser -at UNCAMULT.BITNET
Calgary, Ab., Canada

[Archived as /info-mac/card/micro-bartender.hqx; 273K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Jul 90 18:13:35 -0700
From: lsr@apple.com
Subject: [*] ExampleDraw Updater.sit

This is a StuffIt archive that is used to update the ExampleDraw
source code.  ExampleDraw is the MacApp sample program that appears in
the book "Programming with MacApp."

The archive contains 2 folders one for MPW users and one for THINK
Pascal 3.0 users.

For MPW users, the update fixes a bug in the TCountingStream class, in
which the fSize and fPosition fields were not maintained properly.

For THINK Pascal users, the update fixes the bug, and also contains a
script to convert the sources to be compatible with THINK Pascal.

Both conversion scripts operate on the original source code.  There
are READ ME files that explain the conversion process in more detail.
Feel free to distribute this update to anyone who might need it, and
to forward it to other BBS's.

Larry Rosenstein

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/example-draw-updater.hqx; 18K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Jul 90 19:18:13 +0200
From: Anders Sundin Oragnisk kemi 2 <sundinKC@dna.lth.se>
Subject: [*] MacMimic.hqx

This is a demo of MacMimic 1.0 b1. The demo can not print, save,
import files or export the clipboard.
MacMimic is an interactive application for the display, construction
and comparison of molecular structures in full 3-D. It runs on
the Apple Macintosh II family computers with a 256 colour monitor
and 2MByte RAM.
A powerful editor is available in MacMimic. The atom type,
charge (radical) and hybridization can be set for any atom.
The bond lengths and the number of ligands will automatically
be adjusted. A set of substituents is available from a palette
to make instant substitutions of any monovalent atom.
The new dihedral angles and bonds are adjusted to make a
(locally) low energy conformer.
Any two structures can be joined or fused to create spiro
compounds or complex ring systems.

MacMimic can be obtained from:
InStar Software                     tel (46) 46-182470
IDEON Research Park                 fax (46) 46-128022
S-223 70 Lund
SWEDEN

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/macmimic-10b1.hqx; 180K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 90 08:34:46 PDT
From: mtoy%there.esd@sgi.com (Michael Toy)
Subject: [*] Mombasa Version 1.1 (a ShareWare shanghai like game)

Here is the binary for Mombasa, a game similar to Shanghai,
but including the ability to edit the background picture, the pictures
on the tiles, and the arrangement of the tiles.  Mombasa is shareware,
copyright (C) 1990 Glenn R. Wichman.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/mombasa-11.hqx; 128K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 01:41:18 -0500
From: Don Gillies <gillies@cs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: [*] New Summary

Here is a revised version of the entire file "generating-postscript.txt"
for the info-mac archives.  This file is a condensation of the earlier
file, and contains new procedures and new pointers to files all over
the archives, having to do with postscript generation.  Please let
this file replace the old "generating-postscript.txt" file.  Thank you
very much.

Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

[Archived as /info-mac/tips/generating-postscript.txt; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Jul 90 19:05 MET
From: "Adam van Gaalen (PA2AGA/PI8MAC) DGV-TNO (31)15697283" <GAALEN%TNO.NL@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] uu-decoder 2.0

Hello UU-decoders,

I am uploading  uu-decode version 2.0 to the archives...

This version allows you to decode files from outside the folder
that the application resides in.

Regardsm
Adam PA2AGA.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/uu-decoder-20.hqx; 37K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Jul 90 9:24:43 PDT
From: Ray Terry <rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>
Subject: [*] WK1107-08Patch.hqx

PUP Decryptor file to update/patch White Knight 11.07 to 11.08.  11.08
includes some minor VT102 and Zmodem bug fixes.

Ray

Ray Terry      GEnie = R.Terry      CIS = 71150,735      HPDesk = /HP4700
Domain = rterry%hpda@hplabs.hp.com    SysOp = MacScience BBS 408-866-4933
Packet = N6PHJ @ N6IIU.#NOCAL.CA.USA  UUCP = sun!hpda!hpcupt1!rterry
UFGate = vsi1!camphq!36!ray.terry@ames.arc.nasa.gov

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/white-knight-1108-updater.hqx; 158K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Sep 90 22:14:05 EDT
From: Peter Furmonavicius <PETER%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: address finder / white pages

Hello.  We are interested in seeing what we can do as far as having a
"white pages" for folks here at Yale University.  I would like to know
if anyone might have information regarding server and/or client software.
This would be a way for someone sitting at their Mac (or other platform)
composing an e-mail memo to look up the address of a collegue or someone
else who is registered with the server.

Is anyone doing this sort of thing at their site?  Thanks.

[ Yale University Computer Center ]      Peter Furmonavicius
[ 175 Whitney Avenue              ]      Senior Research Programmer
[ P.O. Box 2112                   ]            ~ Macintosh  :-)
[ New Haven, CT  06520            ]      (203) 432-6600

------------------------------

Date: 18 Sep 90 04:02:13 GMT
From: blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel)
Subject: Apple System

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:
>Can anyone at Apple clarify why LaserPrep and LaserWriter 6.0 have not been
>included in the standard software delivered with all new Macs?

At least in System 6.05, they are included on the Printing Tools disk
in the Apple Color folder.  That's part of the disks delivered with all
new Macs.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Sep 90 22:47:55 EDT
From: Peter Furmonavicius <PETER%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: AppleTalk Zone from within HyperCard

Hello.  From within HyperCard, is there an easy way to find out which
AppleTalk Zone I happen to be in?  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 05:47:06 PDT
From: SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Application quit unexpectedly ID=1?
Date:         Mon, 10 Sep 90 18:43:24 EST
On Mon, 10 Sep 90 10:05:00 EDT you said:
>System error = 1 ...from Inside Mac says Bus error.  Invalid memory
>reference; happens only on a Macintosh XL.

Either Apple has found another use for the error code, or I don't fully
comprehend what the 'bomb' is trying to tell me (either seems plausible).

I *HAVE* discovered (when all else fails, read the documentation) that
SPSS needs to have at least 50 file open and that EACH requires 512 bytes
of system heap (total of 25K).  I have a bunch of inits and cdev's (not
that many by some standards, but enough it seems) that also make demands
on the system heap.

If I boot a 'small system' and then run SPSS the sort runs without incident.
I conclude that what's happening is I'm running out of heap space.  I
recall seeing a message on one of these lists asking how to increase the size
of the system heap.  I don't recall seeing an answer.  In the meantime,
it seems I'll have to boot a system devoid of all the "extras" if I want to
run an SPSS task involving many cases and a SORT.

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 16:08:10 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: BITFTP

Can anyone tell me how to concatenate the subfiles issued by
the bitftp server at pucc? Once a file is requested, the bitftp
node splits it into chunks plus a control file. But how do I
combine them?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 05:40:25 PDT
From: SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Colorized cursor for Mac II users

On Fri, 26 Feb 88 10 54 33 PST you said:
>Enclosed is Color Cursor, an INIT written by Matthias Urlichs.  When placed
>in the System folder on a Mac II, it will colorize the standard arrowhead
>cursor... the effect is somewhat like taking a chunk out of a rainbow.  I
>like it, and have had no problems with the INIT itself.

FUN, *but* I'm also using the cursor animator (also from the info-mac
archive) and if I let the normal alphabetic order of Color Cursor and
Cursor Animator proceed BOY to I get (system) bombed (mostly ID=1 right
on startup, but if I get to open a Window and try to empty the trash, I
get ID=10 <unless I misrembered that one>).

I've renamed Color Cursor = XColor Cursor, and <so far> no more crashes
(at least not obviously identifiable with those two cdev/inits <cross fingers
and knock-on-wood quietly in the background>).

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 12:51 MET
From: GROENEN%HLERUL55.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Conversion TROFF documents into MS Word

I have the following question. Does anybody know of a program to convert
TROFF documents into MS Word (version 3 or 4). If so, please let me
know. Of particular importance are formulea.

Patrick Groenen
Department of Data Theory
Leiden University, Holland
GROENEN@HLERUL55.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 16:33 PDT
From: Tigger <GREG@pomona.claremont.edu>
Subject: Educational Ordering Delays

Six or seven weeks ago, I ordered a Mac IIcx system from the office that
handles this college's educational deal with Apple.  The system is still
not here.  The office was quoting four to six weeks when I ordered, and
is now quoting eight to ten weeks.  The distribution center from which they
receive their shipments tells them that they haven't received it yet.  The
individual in charge of the program locally tells me that this is standard
procedure before a product introduction:  that it is very difficult to get
ahold of product.  Now, I've heard all the rumors about Apple phasing out
the IIcx in favor of the IIci.  But if they're true one would think Apple
would be working like crazy to get rid of the remaining stock.  In any case,
I'm rather miffed.  Has anyone else had problems like this?  Or has Apple
just decided to blow off the Claremont Colleges since we only have about
five thousand students?

Incidently, if this has happened to anyone else, I'm trying to get ahold
of the name of the top executive responsible for educational sales.  If anyone
knows who that is, I'd love to know, and if anyone want to know, I'll be happy
to tell you when I find out.  He's going to be getting a letter from me telling
him that my plans to buy a new Mac LC with an Apple II card and an Amiga 500
to replace my ancient Apple //e at home have been shelved in favor of keeping
the //e and buying an Amiga 3000 with a Mac emulator...

Greg Orman
greg@pomona.claremont.edu
greg@pomona.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 16:34:43 EDT
From: Leo W <Leo_W@qm.circa.ufl.edu>
Subject: EtherTalk Lab Help

Hello all you lab managers out there.  Has anyone heard of a way to keep Macs
on EtherTalk?

One problem we have at Univ. of Florida in our public Mac labs that have the
Macs on EtherTalk, is when a user boots a Mac with his/her diskette (which
naturally doesn't have an EtherTalk driver on it) the Mac automatically
switches to the LocalTalk port.  The Mac will STAY ON LOCALTALK even when
rebooted with a system disk with EtherTalk on it.

My guess is something is stored in PRAM telling the Network software whether or
not to install the EtherTalk driver at boot time.  It would be nice if there
existed an INIT that unconditionally installed the EtherTalk driver.  Have any
of you heard of such a beast existing?

Thanks,
Leo_W@qm.circa.ufl.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 12:31:32 EDT
From: Tad Taylor <taylor@cli.com>
Subject: Flipping the page counter on a laserwriter-plus

Evidently, our LaserWriter Plus recently flipped its page counter.  A
few months ago, when we last noted the counter's value, it was
around 63K.  Its now around 630.  (Presumably, it's a 16-bit counter.)

The odd thing about this is that flipping the counter also seemed to
change the printer's name back to the default "LaserWriter Plus".  (We
had renamed the printer previously.)  Obviously, our Mac wouldn't
print until we went into the chooser and reselected the printer.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of this happening to anyone before.  It
is possibly a coincidence.  Has anyone else had this experience, and,
if so, are there any other problems we might expect to encounter soon?

Thanks,

Tad Taylor
(taylor@cli.com)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 8:18:27 EDT
From: CON-ETDL-COM <contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: Found 4d books!

Thanks to those netters who were helping me to find some reference
books on 4th dimension (ACIUS).  Special thanks go to Christopher May
and Graeme Forbes for their help.

Chris suggested: __4th Dimension: A  Complete Guide to Database
Development__, by Tim Knight.  Glenview, IL: Scott, Foresman and Company, 1989.
ISBN 0-673-38172-2.  It's geared to version 1.

I have found that TAB Books, Blue Ridge Summit, Pennsylvania 17294-0840
(phone = 1-800-822-8158) will be releasing a brand new 4d book in November
(they told me November 21).  The book is "Mastering 4th Dimension" by Eric
Hall, Windcrest, 1990, ISBN 0-8306-3444-4 for papercover,
ISBN 0-08306-8444-1 for hardcover.  My friend and co-worker Gerry Klug
tells me that the author (Eric Hall) is pretty active in the 4th Dimension
forums, so it should be a good book.

Thanks again to all for their help.

 George F Tempel, Vitronics, Inc | internet: contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil
 AppleLink: D4775, America OnLine: gftempel4

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 08:28:58 EDT
From: Roger A. Roach <rar@mit.edu>
Subject: LaserWriter/Prep 6.0

In Info-Mac Digest V8 #154, Anup Patel <patel@mwunix.mitre.org> asks:

  Can anyone at Apple clarify why LaserPrep and LaserWriter 6.0 have not been
  included in the standard software delivered with all new Macs?

I'm not from Apple, but LaserWriter/Prep 6.0 (actually 6.0.1) were on my
6.0.5 distribution disk (Printing Tools) in the Apple Color folder.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 90 17:29:47 BST
From: Andrew <AJM19@phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk>
Subject: LaserWriter Internal Postscript Calls info wanted

Dear Postscript Hackers,

As part of a usage monitoring system, I'm wanting to make some patches to the
LaserWriter internal dictionaries, and the LaserPrep. In particular I want to
abort a job (before the Mac/Printer AppleTalk connection is closed) if a paper
out exists for over a minute.

1/ Where do I insert code that will be executed before each print job?

2/ How do I abort a print job immediately? About 3 STOPs seem to be required
before the driver gives up.

3/ Are there any rules controlling what I can DEFine into the printer status
string? I want it to say 'printer has no paper' whenever this is true.

4/ Does the printer driver break the Appletalk connection as soon as the
postscript file has been sent, even if it's not yet been executed?

Please reply to me directly... thanks in advance. I'll summarise to the net if
any exciting gems come through.

Andrew Mason                 <AJM19@uk.ac.cambridge.phoenix>
Darwin College               <AJM19%uk.ac.cambridge.phoenix@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss>
Cambridge, U.K.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Macintoshes for MacZimum Computing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Sep 90 20:44 EST
From: <MACLAB%VUVAXCOM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Looking for Alias 1.01

HI,

  I read in the October 90 issue of MacUser about a program called Alias 1.01
written by Richard Harvey.
  If anyone has seen it, or knows how I could get it, could you please link
me and I will u/l it to the archives when they thin out.

Thank you,
Bill Cockayne
Villanova University
Apple Student Rep -Apple Certified Tech - Mac Systems Engineer

BITNET: Maclab@VUVAXCOM
AppleLink: STO666

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 05:43:58 PDT
From: SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: MacWrite II translators
On Mon, 10 Sep 90 15:39:04 EST you said:
>MacWrite II comes with a MacLink Plus/Bridge to enable you to access
>translators from Data Viz (the firm that makes the translators).

We bought the translators.  They do only a little better (insist on
translating to WP 5.0, but the upgrade to 5.1 apparently didn't affect
file structure).  There are a number of *strange* glitches and shortcomings
in the translators from both Apple and DataVis.  I've spoken to the tech
folks at DataVis; there're planning a newer (improved) version in about
two months.  They say they also are considering breaking the package into
smaller modules for those of us who object to paying for 'hundreds' of
translators just to get the one or two we need (at least they may create
'word processor,' 'database,' and 'spreadsheet' modules at more reasonable
prices).

It *ought* to be possible for some enterprising pd/shareware author to
write individual translators (similar to the ones in the Claris folder)
for amusement (which would help us a bunch as a by-product :-)

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 10:37:03 GMT-0500
From: williams@oyster.smcm.edu (Bill Williams)
Subject: NCSA Telnet for the MAC:  How to do anonymous FTP?

I've just downloaded NCSA Telnet software from Sumex-AIM, and I'm puzzled.
Generally, it seems to work, but according the manual, one has to do FTP's
"backwards:"  one must log on to the remote machine and the do an FTP "Send"
back to one's home machine.  How does one do an anonymous FTP in this mode?
I've found that I can't log on to remote machines (e.g., Sumex-AIM, Apple.
com) as "anonymous" (hardly surprising!), and so I can't FTP using NCSA
Telnet.

Surely there is a way to do an anonymous FTP from a Macintosh using NCSA
Telnet software.  Could someone tell me what it is?

				-W2

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 10:01:10 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: SCSI termination:  IIfx vs. 25-pin

> So what's a fellow to do?  Does anyone know of a source of the {NEW
> SCSI connect that fits a 25 pin connector?  Any other solutions?

How about this: buy yourself a standard "Macintosh to SCSI hard drive"
cable... the length doesn't matter.  It will have a male DB-25 on one
end, and a male CHAMP 50 on the other.  Plug the male DB-25 end into the
second female DB-25 on your hard drive case; tighten the screws.  Plug
the male CHAMP 50 end of the cable into the female side of the Mac IIfx
external terminator; snap closed the wire bales.  Cover the male side of
the IIfx terminator with black electrical tape to keep it from shorting.

I really _do_ wish that Apple had chosen to stick with the de facto
CHAMP 50 connector for its external SCSI port!

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 90 18:01 EDT
From: DAGALLAGHER%vassar.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Search program for newspaper archives?

Hey--  Can anyone recommend a simple friendly program that can zip through
lots of text files and pick out which ones contain certain keywords? I'm
trying to set up an archive of old articles from the student newspaper,
and need some way to access them.
Also if anyone has (or knows where I can get) information about desktop
publishing and student newspapers (systems, techniques...) let me know.
We're about to take the plunge.
                        --David Gallagher (DAGALLAGHER@VAXSAR.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 15:19 +0800
From: A138700%CUCSC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Security software

Dear Mac netters,

        We are looking for a shareware that can lock our Mac so that users
must provide their own password and login name to use the Mac. I guess this
should be a pretty common shareware, but I have no clues at all where to find
it. I would appreciate if anyone can point out an ftp site that get this
shareware. Thanks a lot.

Y.S. Lo
BITNET: a138700@cucsc.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 17:46 PDT
From: Tigger <GREG@pomona.claremont.edu>
Subject: Summary:  Good Mac Programming Books

[Note to the moderators:  This may perhaps be more appropriate as a report in
 archives than as a part of a digest.  I'll leave that decision up to you...]

First, thanks to those who responded to my query about good books for
experienced programmers who want to learn the ins and outs of the Mac.  Second,
my apologies for taking so long to those who wanted this summary.  On to the
real info:

The following books were recommended:

                                     Pascal
                                     ------
Turbo Pascal Tutor -- Borland (part of a book and disk combo of the same name)
Macintosh Revealed by Steve Chernicoff -- ?

                                       -
Macintosh Programming Primer:  Inside the Toolbox Using Think's Lightspeed C
  -- Addison-Wesley
Using the Macintosh Toolbox with C -- ?
Macintosh Programming Primer by Dave Mark and Cartwright Reed -- Addison-Wesley

                               Generic or Unknown
                               ------- -- -------
Programmer's Introduction to the Macintosh Family -- Addison-Wesley
Technical Introduction to the Macintosh Family -- Addison-Wesley
Human Interface Guidelines:  The Apple Desktop Interface -- Addison-Wesley
On Macintosh Programming:  Advanced Techniques by Dan Allen -- Addison-Wesley
How to Write Mac Software by Scott Knaster -- ?
Macintosh Programming Secrets by Scott Knaster -- ?
The Programmer's Apple Mac Sourcebook by Thom Hogan -- Microsoft Press
Programming with MacApp -- Addison-Wesley

The complete set of Inside Macintosh, published by Addison-Wesley, was also
listed by all of those who responded.  Slightly off the subject was a
recommedation for a piece of software called Online by Steve Capps and
published by Addison-Wesley, an online reference to the syntax of all Toolbox
calls.  Apparently it will even insert a call into your program so that you
don't have to type it all in yourself.

Greg Orman
greg@pomona.claremont.edu
greg@pomona.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Sep 90 14:30:09 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Translating between mainframe and word processor file formats

Is there a decent TEXT editor for the Mac?  Word processor "flowed"
paragraphs aren't compatible with mainframe files which are stored by
lines.  It would be nice to have a Mac processor that resembles a
mainframe editor with the capability of translating between word
processor and mainframe formats (text files with carriage returns at the
end of paragraphs back and forth with carriage returns at the ENDS of
WORD WRAPPED lines).

I've taken a look at McSink which is a shareware "crippled" version of
Vantage.  The documentation for McSink is sparce, but it appears capable
of text editing and translating between formats (atlthough I wasn't
able to be get McSink to "flow" the one text file I tried; I really
didn't spend much time on it).

The MacConnection price for Vantage ($52) is only a few dollars more
than the shareware fee ($45).  Hence, if Vantage will do the trick, I'll
order it.  On the other hand, there might be something MUCH better that
I haven't yet heard of.

Do any of you have occasion to mimic mainframe editing on a Mac?
Have you an alternative to Vantage?
Any pros or cons about Vantage to report?

Thanks, as always, I value your advice.

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 09:36:54 EDT
From: r.aminzade@lynx.northeastern.edu
Subject: Vanishing System Folder Files

Thanks to all who responded about my weird (I thought maybe a
virus) problem with vanishing system folder files.

THIS IS NOT A VIRUS!

As several (John Norstad of Disinfectant fame in particular) pointed out,
this is a problem with the disk's directory.  It is fixable with Norton
Utilities for the Mac.  I am also told that SUM will work, and maybe
other things like Mac Tools too.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 05:42:02 PDT
From: SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Zoombar versus WindowShade
Date:         Sat, 08 Sep 90 10:21:46 EST
OK, I couldn't resist sneaking in on a weekend to play (and *maybe* get
just a ..little.. work done too :-)

Downloaded WindowShade from the info-mac archive and through it into my
System Folder which already contained ZoomBar (also from the archive).

Both work, BUT a **strange** thing happens if one is imprudent enough to
attempt to use both ("roll up" the window and then "Zoom" it to a corner).
When the small bar that ZoomBar has parked in the corner is clicked, the
window VANISHES altogether!

I HAVE figured out how to get the Window open again.  It's necessary to
close the window (command-W) and then open (command-O) it again (if something
else has been clicked in the interim it's necessary to click on the folder
or drive that the window emerges from, the command-O, command-W, command-O)
Those of you who are not "keyboard driven" have no chance as near as I can
determine :-)  One more "funny" thing.  After the window reopens it's been
resized (at least in the case of my System Folder window which I typically
have take up a bit more than have the screen when it's open is 'downsized'
by upShading and Zooming).

Also, WindowShade seems to block WindowList (another fine info-mac offering
-- even if it's made into XWindowList so that it loads after WindowShade).
I guess I'll have to decide which (if either) I prefer.

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

End of Info-Mac Digest