Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (09/21/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 21 Sep 90       Volume 8 : Issue 158

Today's Topics:

      [*] Finder Sounds 1.2.2
      [*] Gestalt! 2.0
      [*] MacMary had a little lamb cont....
      [*] Orlando Poon's Toxic Cleanup and Rescue Server (a game)
      Access to AppleShare's Server Folder
      errant disk space
      Finite Element on the Mac
      Importing PS into Mac?
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #155
      LaserWriter/Prep 6.0
      MAC-UNIX mail list notice
      Mac SCSI --> PS/2
      NCSA Telnet -- Client FTP
      NCSA Telnet for the MAC:  How to do anonymous FTP?
      Next file command in Word 4.0
      Search program for newspaper archives?
      Suggestion for Posting to the Net
      Terminal demo?
      White Knight Updates
      Zoombar versus WindowShade

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 90 22:45 EDT
From: Greg Smith <SMITH@coral.bucknell.edu>
Subject: [*] Finder Sounds 1.2.2

Since the Macintosh System Software version 6.0.4 came out, the Finder has
had the undocumented ability to play sounds corresponding to various
events.  Such events include opening and closing windows, creating and
deleting files, and even modifying windows.  All you really need to take
advantage of this feature is a piece of code. Drag Finder Sounds and Finder
Sounds Config to your system folder and reboot.  You will then have a sonic
Finder!

This is version 1.2.2 of the package.  There are no new features in version
1.2.2.  This is a bug fix release to fix incompatibilities between Edit 2.1
and some development packages.  Finder Sounds 1.2 and 1.2.1 could cause Bus
Error crashes with Edit 2.1 and some Modula-II development systems.  For a
more detailed change history, see the TeachText document enclosed in the
StuffIt archive.  Please send any bug reports to one of the addresses
below.

Finder Sounds is FreeWare.  You are encouraged to redistribute this package
to your heart's content, but you must include the document, Finder Sounds
and Finder Sounds Config in any redistribution.  You are also not allowed
to charge any money for the Finder Sounds package. While Finder Sounds is
FreeWare, it is not public domain, and I retain the copyright.  You must be
running System 6.0.4 or 6.0.5 to use the Finder Sounds package.  Enjoy!

+----------------------------+------------------------------------+
| Gregory J. Smith           | Internet: smith@bucknell.edu       |
| Systems Analyst/Postmaster |           smith@coral.bucknell.edu |
| Bucknell Computer Services | BITNET:   smith@bucknell.bitnet    |
| Bucknell University        |           smith@bknlvms.bitnet     |
| Lewisburg, PA  17837       | AT&Tnet:  (717) 524-1801           |
+----------------------------+------------------------------------+

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/program/finder-sounds-122.hqx; 208K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 11:43:55 +0200
From: roland@macpost.lu.se
Subject: [*] Gestalt! 2.0

Gestalt! 2.0

This application uses the Gestalt trap ($A1AD) available in System 6.0.4
and later to show various info about your Macintosh. See IM VI, chapter 3
for more info.
Different selectors are shown with different versions of the system (I've
tried 6.0.4, 6.0.5, and 7.0a9). Hold down the option key while you launch
Gestalt! to get a complete list of selectors.
You may add selectors. Use ResEdit to modify the "GST#" resource. A
template is provided.
6.0.4 or later is required to use Gestalt!
Unpack with StuffIt and BinHex.
Public Domain by Roland M}nsson, SiC! Development HB, Lund, Sweden

[Archived as /info-mac/util/gestalt-20.hqx; 23K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jul 90 17:15:27 PDT
From: Tom Lincoln <lincoln%iris@rand.org>
Subject: [*] MacMary had a little lamb cont....

I answered some flames a while back on the dullness of Company Logos with
a suggested solution using ResEdit to change the start up picture.
I have since worked on the tutorial some more so that it is now a single
TeachText document. It starts as follows:

Customizing Logos with ResEdit: A Tutorial

There have been complaints that Company Logos that flash up when a
program is launched become boring and even annoying after a while --
particularly on SEs. (Such a long time!! So many times a day!!!)
Screens that start up an application can sometimes be customized with
something much more interesting and relaxing. An example is given here
using Claris MacWrite as an illustration. Here the conventional logo
is replaced with a smiling pin-up who has been hanging around on the
net for several years. Here is MacMary:

A PICTURE IS DISPLAYED IN THE TEXT

This picture can be found in the PICT resource fork of this TeachText
document, which is the same way that the Claris MacWrite logo is
stored.

Not all applications store their logo in a PICT resource in such a
straightforward manner, but in this case, and in others that one can
discover by looking around with ResEdit, the Logo image can be easily
replaced. Here the text, including owner and version number, remains,
so that MacMary gives a whole new meaning to "This software is
licensed by..."

To "personalize" your copy of MacWrite with the MacMary image, or any
other application that uses the PICT resource for its logo, just
follow along:

[This will all be evident to those who use ResEdit, but applications
like ResEdit are a bit anxiety provoking for many, thus this
Tutorial.]

TUTORIAL FOLLOWS

Good luck and better viewing! Tom Lincoln  lincoln@rand.org

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/customizing-logos.hqx; 21K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 16:37:20 PDT
From: mtoy%there.esd@sgi.com (Michael Toy)
Subject: [*] Orlando Poon's Toxic Cleanup and Rescue Server (a game)

Orlando Poon's Toxic Cleanup and Rescue Service

You are the pilot of a blimp.  Your mission is to clean
up an extremely toxic ravine, and rescue any people
trapped in the ravine.

This game is ShareWare, Copyright (C) by Glenn R. Wichman.

[Archived as /info-mac/game/orlando-poon.hqx; 256K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 09:22:32 MDT
From: Mark Morrill <ZZMLAB%UALTAVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Access to AppleShare's Server Folder

I am writing an application that needs to read and write files to the
invisible Server Folder on an AppleShare volume. This folder does not
seem to be accessable but many other applications, such as QuickMail and
AppleShare Print Server, use it to store files.

If anyone knows how to do this, I would appreciate hearing about it.
Thanks.

Mark Morrill
ZZMLAB@UALTAVM.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 90 13:59:57 EDT
From: Jamer <PET101@ukcc.uky.edu>
Subject: errant disk space

We have a IIci at work that has an 80MB hard disk drive.  Today it
was noticed that the amount of disk space shown as used is about 66MB,
which seemed a little large.  I went through and individually counted
up the size of each file on the disk, and the total was about 38MB.  For
those without a calulator, it appears that 27MB are mysteriously being
used on the hard disk.  Does anyone have any clue or idea as to what
might be going on?

R.S.V.P.

Puzzled in Playland
<PET101@ukcc.uky.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 08:00:39 PDT
From: "Eric S. Boltz" <eboltz%JHUVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Finite Element on the Mac

Howdy,

        I'm looking for information on finite element software for the mac.
Specifically we want to do work with thermomechanical stresses (thermal expansio
mismatch), thermal stresses and heat. Please let me know of anything anyone has
used, seen or heard of.

Eric S. Boltz
(for Joe Krynicki)
Materials Science and Engineering
The Johns Hopkins University
102 Maryland Hall
Baltimore, MD 21218
(301) 338-8747
(eboltz@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: 19 Sep 1990 17:08:51-EDT
From: Scott.Robinson@husky.ece.cmu.edu
Subject: Importing PS into Mac?
How do you import PostScript figures into standard Mac applications?

I'm trying to import PostScript files into a slide presentation being
prepared on the Mac using PowerPoint.  Is there a good way of doing this
aside from scanning the image using DeskScan to create a bit map, etc?  Cut
and paste is not a good option.  Alternatively, is there a better
slide-preparation package that can handle such situations?  Why most
applications can't do this is amazing since it is trivial to implement,
assuming only the bounding box of the figure is drawn.

Scott Robinson		 		ECE Department
Phone: 	  412-268-6639			Carnegie Mellon University
INTERNET: shr@ece.cmu.edu		Pittsburgh, PA. 15213   U.S.A.
UUCP: {...decvax}!vax135!ucbvax!shr@ece.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 11:29 CST
From: BPRODEN%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #155

The NEC CDR-35 can be connected to PCs or Macs and can also be used as a
standard CD player.  It is available from Tiger Software (800-888-4437) and
costs 599 for the CD-ROM player and 199 for the interface kit for XT,AT,PS/2,
NEC MultiSpeed, and Mac.  Thier address is
  800 Douglas Entrance
  Executive Tower, 7th floor
  Coral Gables, FL  33134

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 90 19:08:07 GMT
From: hlt@iapic.cvm.uiuc.edu (Harold L. Trammel)
Subject: LaserWriter/Prep 6.0
Roger A. Roach <rar@mit.edu> writes:

>>In Info-Mac Digest V8 #154, Anup Patel <patel@mwunix.mitre.org> asks:

>>  Can anyone at Apple clarify why LaserPrep and LaserWriter 6.0 have not been
>>  included in the standard software delivered with all new Macs?

>I'm not from Apple, but LaserWriter/Prep 6.0 (actually 6.0.1) were on my
>6.0.5 distribution disk (Printing Tools) in the Apple Color folder.

Hmmmm.  The MacIIcx we received via an Apple Seedlings grant in
July came with 6.0.4 and did not have the Apple Color folder on
the Printing Tools disk.  I was expecting 6.0.5 to be included and
was suprised by what we got.  Thankfully I had gotten the "old"
color disk from the local MicroAge.

Does anyone know when the 6.0.5 became standard issue for cx's or
is it restricted to fx and portables?

Harold L. Trammel	hlt@iapic.cvm.uiuc.edu
IAPIC-CVM
Univ. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 13:19:48 EDT
From: Loki Jorgenson Rm421 <loki@physics.mcgill.ca>
Subject: MAC-UNIX mail list notice

	This is a repeat notice of an existing mail list.

	For those who are constantly or occaisionally wrangling with
the problems associated with Macs interacting with UNIX machines, there
exists a small sub-group of the info-mac group.  It is a list called
"mac-sun".  Although you can find the same people (more or less) on
info-mac, mac-sun has the advantage of being populated by users with
a specific interest; prehaps they will be more likely to notice and
answer your questions.  You would be advised to submit any Mac/UNIX
question to *both* lists for best results.

	Mac-sun has a very low traffic level since the topic is very
limited, thus, there is never a burden on your mailer.  The
submissions are merely reflected instead of entered into "digest" format
so the turnover from question to answer is faster.  If you are
interested, please send an addition or info request to

	mac-sun-request@physics.mcgill.ca

	Note that I DO NOT keep software or archives for mac-sun in a
local anonymous FTP site.  If the situation ever warrants it, I might
be conned into starting one for various software.

Regards,

MAC-SUN coordinator:
Loki Jorgenson			node:  loki@physics.mcgill.ca
Physics, McGill University	fax:   (514) 398-3733
Montreal Quebec CANADA		phone: (514) 398-6531

		<<  If I only had a brain  >>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 90 11:13 EST
From: <JRCLARK%UTKVX4.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac SCSI --> PS/2

Not for myself, but for a friend, (really): what is required to take
an Apple SCSI hard drive and use it with a PS/2. (this is an external unit)

Jim Clark
UT Martin

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 15:26:09 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: NCSA Telnet -- Client FTP

As I understand it, NCSA Telnet permits the Mac to do the SERVER side
of FTP, but not the CLIENT side.  That's why you can't initiate the
transfer from the Mac.

There exists a patched version of NCSA Telnet written at BYU which includes
client-side FTP.  I got it from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu (NCSA's server) -- via
FTP, naturally.  Since you can't initiate ftp from your mac, you might
try using a third machine as a cross-shipping point -- e.g.,
   1) telnet from mac to unix-box
   2) ftp from unix-box to ftp.ncsa...
   3) transfer file to unix-box
   4) quit ftp
   5) ftp from unix-box to mac
   6) transfer file from unix-box to mac
   7) quit ftp
   8) quit telnet

Once you have BYU/NCSA Telnet, you won't need the runaround.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 11:36:38 EDT
From: Bob Stewart <stewart@xyplex.com>
Subject: NCSA Telnet for the MAC:  How to do anonymous FTP?

NCSA Telnet can't do anonymous FTP, it's only an FTP server.  I'm currently
using TCP/Connect II from InterCon as a replacement for NCSA Telnet.  It does
FTP both directions, has mail and news interfaces, improves on the terminal
emulation, and even has SNMP.  It still needs a little maturing, but it's a
good product.  You do have to pay for it...

	Bob

-----------
Bob Stewart (rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com)
Xyplex, Boxborough, Massachusetts
(508) 264-9900

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 90 17:15:53 EST
From: "LOPEZ MACHI, RAFAEL" <LOPEZRA%EVALUN11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Next file command in Word 4.0

Hello Falks!

Could anybody tell me how to link documents with Word 4.0
using the RNext fileS comand?

I have followed the instructions but it has been unsuccessfull.

IUm interested in finding the way to do consecutive
numbering pages in linked documents.

Thank you in advance.

If possible, send the mail to

BELLVER@EVALUN11 (Bitnet/Earn)

Bye.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 11:52:15 PDT
From: 6600patb%ucsbuxa@hub.ucsb.edu (Pat Breitenbach)
Subject: Search program for newspaper archives?

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>Hey--  Can anyone recommend a simple friendly program that can zip through
>lots of text files and pick out which ones contain certain keywords? I'm
>trying to set up an archive of old articles from the student newspaper,
>and need some way to access them.

You might try OnLocation. It finds files like FindFile but also finds
words in text files and many other types of files as well. It's
amazingly fast because it creates an index of you volume and searches
that when you make a query. It then lists the files that contain the
word (I'm not sure if you can search for multiple keywords and use
and, or, not, etc. Actually I believe it doesn't support this).At that
point, you may either observe the file's (s') pathname(s) or you can
actually open the file from OnLocation with correct formatting. I believe
it uses Claris' XTND technology to allow you to do this. On top of all
this, it automatically updates the index in the background at user-
definable intervals.

>Also if anyone has (or knows where I can get) information about desktop
>publishing and student newspapers (systems, techniques...) let me know.
>We're about to take the plunge.

I'm not sure where to find info about the subject but I can offer some
past experience. I was the graphics editor for my high school (keep
reading) newspaper. We put almost the entire thing together on Macs.
Copy was written on Word and even Apple II's and transferred. We then
imported it into PageMaker for layout. Many graphics could be created
on the mac but we had to half-tone the pictures and paste them in
later. For awhile, we used a Tops network to access all the copy, but
found that it was easier to keep copy on floppies. Ads gave a bit
of trouble. We usually just blocked out the appropriate space and

the ads in later. We had someone keep track of which had been used. We
printed out on a LaserWriter and pasted tthe 6 sheets or so onto
regular paste-up paper. The wax didn't quite work with this type of
paper but since we weren't moving it a whole lot, we just used glue.
Granted it wasn't the New York Times, we were quite proud of the
professional look that we were able to produce. We usually got a 20-24
page issue out every 3 weeks with the bulk of the work being done
on deadline night of course. That was 4 years ago using 5 SE's. I would
think that today, even more is possible. Using Macs allowed us to
concentrate more on the writing and the design rather than the width's
of headlines and getting the hairline tape down straight.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you got something out of this.

-Patrick

Internet: 6600patb@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 16:46 EST
From: HENRY YEE <HENRY@atc.bendix.com>
Subject: Suggestion for Posting to the Net

Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL%WSUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

>Many queries to info-mac include a line like "reply directly to me and
>I will post a summary to the net".  I would like to suggest that such
>summaries be posted as "reports" into the archives rather than as
>messages in the info-mac digest.  The reports are easy to find and
>valuable long after the messages disappear into the haze of last
>year's multi-megabytes of stuff.

I have no objections to putting the summaries in the archives, but I would
like to see them on the net as well.  First, I have to go through Rice Univ.
to get them; second, I will probably forget the original request and fail to
go looking for the reply summary in the archives.

Henry Yee
henry@atc.bendix.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 15:01:49 EDT
From: wang@pennmess.physics.upenn.edu ( Huangxin Wang)
Subject: Terminal demo?

	I am looking for a simple terminal emulation source code (C preferred).
Specifically, this is for the following project:  I want to do a very heavy
simulation computation on a mainframe (SUN 4 running UNIX), then displaying
(while it's running) on the Mac.  Mac captures the data from the SUN, and
displays out as a picture of atomic motions.  I guess this is very similar
to a regular terminal emulation, except it won't directly display the
captured characters.  Can anyone just send me a simple demo on how to write
a terminal (like vt100)?
	Thanks a lot for any help!

		Huangxin Wang, University of Pennsylvania

------------------------------

Date: 19 Sep 90 15:54:00 GMT-9:00
From: "overton a_lewis l" <snalo@acad3.fai.alaska.edu>
Subject: White Knight Updates

I've seen the updater for 11.07 to 11.08 on sumex, but is there any way
to get from 11.01 to 11.07? I tried retrieving from simtel, but somewhere
in the many transfers the file lost it's mind. Does anyone have the
earlier updaters available?
  Lewy

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 90 13:54:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Robert George Johnston, Jr." <rj0z+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Zoombar versus WindowShade

    WindowShade dosen't actually change the logical size of a window
when the user 'rolls it up'. Most applications cannot tell that a window
has changed physical size when it is rolled up. I did this to make sure
that it would be compatable with as many applications as possible.
    If another program, such as ZoomBar, changes the size of a window
when it is rolled up, WindowShade might not be able to unroll the window
correctly. I don't see that there is an easy fix to this problem.
    My intuition tells me that simplicity is the best solution. --
Decide which program to keep.

    Rob Johnston.

   (Author of WindowShade)

End of Info-Mac Digest