Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (09/26/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 25 Sep 90       Volume 8 : Issue 160

Today's Topics:

      [*] ChooserUser 1.0b5 cdev
      [*] File types and icons
      [*] Password Font
      [*] Wingz patches for System 6.0.5
      Control Panel - can it be locked?
      Correction to Hermes Query
      FastFormatter 3.0
      Font Rotation
      HC callback functions
      HD doesn't load...
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #159
      LaserJet III and Mac SE (Info-Mac Digest V8 #159)
      Mac & Ethernet
      MacX through FastPath
      MS-Word from Mac to PC ?
      NEED HELP WITH : stddata_ctype.c
      NetWork Processor
      Printer Fonts
      QuicKeys 2.0
      Slot numbers for video boards
      Software partitions: which one to use ? / Slow Hard Disk problem.
      Subject: Re: OnCue 1.3 & 1.5 and Multifinder 6.0.5 & 6.1b9
      Telnet with dialog logging?
      Transfer from Sun <--> Mac

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sun, 15 Jul 90 00:42 EST
From: PGYDATA%UBVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] ChooserUser 1.0b5 cdev

ChooserUser 1.0b5 is a freeware init/cdev combination that lets
you control who can change the user name in the Chooser desk
accessory. It also allows the user name to be changed at startup,
either manually or automatically. This program will be
particularly useful to public Macintosh labs found in university
settings.

ChooserUser 1.0b5 fixes a bug in ChooserUser 1.0b4 that permitted
the user name to be changed by using the Cut, Paste, or Clear
commands in the Edit menu.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/chooser-user-10b5.hqx; 20K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Jul 90 02:28:52 PDT
From: jgro@apldbio.com (Jeremy Grodberg)
Subject: [*] File types and icons

Here is my own, personal, unofficial cookbook on creating BNDL, FREF, and
ICN# resources for a Macintosh Application.  They are very confusing, and
I'm afraid I was not able to make them easy to understand, but I believe I
made them easy to make.  The only caveat is that I have to rely on the reader
to know how to create the actual resource (with Rez, ResEdit, or whatever)
>From the description of the resource's contents.

Jeremy Grodberg
jgro@apldbio.com    "Beware: free advice is often overpriced!"

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/bndl-help.txt; 11K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Jul 90 16:16:04 PDT
From: wade%hobbes@ucsd.edu (Wade Blomgren)
Subject: [*] Password Font

David Palmer expressed an interest in a font to be used to enter
passwords in HyperCard.  The same technique works fine for programming
password entry in dialog boxes as well (set the font of the particular
text item to be your special "Password Font").  Attached is a minimal 12 pt
screen font called "Password" which contains only the 'missing character',
(a "bullet"), which should do the job - it's very small but for consistency
it is a binhex'd stuffit archive.

Wade Blomgren
UC San Diego ICC
wade@hobbes.ucsd.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/font/password.hqx; 2K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Jul 90 12:26:56 PDT
From: aron@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts)
Subject: [*] Wingz patches for System 6.0.5

  WingzAid for 6.0.5 from Informix Software of Lenexa, KS, patches that
firm's spreadsheet application, Wingz, to run properly under Apple's
System 6.0.5 "and later versions."

  As described by Informix: "Without the patch installed by WingzAid,
Wingz has problems with memory allocation under System 6.0.5 and may
crash the system when used with MultiFinder."

  This StuffIt archive includes a TeachText 'readme' file explaining how
to use the patcher application.  This application "will not properly
patch version 1.0 of Wingz," and the company suggests that registered
owners of this early version contact Informix' tech support department
to find out how they can obtain a free upgrade to the latest version.

Aron Roberts  Workstation Support Services . 219 Evans Hall
              University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
              aron@garnet.berkeley.edu . ucbvax!garnet!aron
              aron@ucbgarne.bitnet . (415) 642-5974

[Archived as /info-mac/app/wingz-aid.hqx; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 1990 16:55:07 CDT
From: DAVE@gergo.tamu.edu (Dave Martin)
Subject: Control Panel - can it be locked?

Greetings.

	I was wondering if there is a way to lock (via password) the Control
Panel. I wish to prevent people from changing settings on our general access
Macs. Putting the Control Panel in a Suitcase file that isn't opened doesn't
help, since some cdevs won't load properly if the CP isn't in the Apple menu
(or at least that seems to be the problem). I know that this (or something
real similar) has been asked before, but I'm almost positive that an answer
was never posted. If anyone can prove me wrong, I'd welcome it (it happens so
very rarely   l:>)-  ).
	Also, I'd like to thank those who responded to my query about Apple's
Aristotle product. This time my curiosity paid off. Aristotle is a software
package which allows the Apple ][ systems with an Apple Workstation Card (or
an Apple ][gs without the card) access an AppleShare server on a LocalTalk
network. We've got an old ][e in use in one of our isotope labs which - thanks
to my curiosity - will soon be able to save files on our server.

Thanks all.

Dave Martin, Macintosh Systems Administrator
Geochemical & Environmental Research Group
College of Geosciences, Texas A&M University

DAVE@GERGA.TAMU.EDU   BROOKS@TAMVXOCN.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 15:28:32 ADT
From: Trevor Sawler <V5YS%UNB.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Correction to Hermes Query

Ooops:

In my previous message I said that I have version 0.81 of Hermes;
in truth, I have but version 0.75.  Sorry about that,

-- Trevor Sawler
-- University of New Brunswick
-- V5YS@UNB.CA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 02:07 PDT
From: Gann Matsuda                         <IYI4DTN@oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: FastFormatter 3.0

FastFormatter 3.0 formatted 1.44 mb disks correctly?  It didn't
for me....It only recognized 800 and 400K disks...it even formatted
the HD disks as 800K.  Perhaps it doesn't agree with an init or
cdev that I have.  But I've heard that it doesn't work from a lot
of people running various Macs, so I am very surprised to hear
that it does format 1.44 mb disks.  Is this the same Fast
Formatter 3.0, from Beyond, Inc. that we're talking about?

Gann Matsuda
UCLA Asian American Studies Center
BITNET: IYI4DTN@UCLAMVS
INTERNET: iyi4dtn@oac.ucla.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 09:45:05 EDT
From: r.aminzade@lynx.northeastern.edu
Subject: Font Rotation

Dick Peskin asks "Is there any plan to include font rotation as part of the
7.0 ToolBox?"

Last spring, I saw a presentation by Chris Espinosa of Apple who is (I
think) product manager for system 7.  He was asked this question
directly, and the answer was no.

The recent peace between Apple and Adobe, however, may mean that more
PostScript technology (e.g. those rotated fonts...) may appear in later
systems (7.1?).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 13:13:51 +0200
From: Arne.Venstad@elab-runit.sintef.no
Subject: HC callback functions

Hi,
I am writing a HyperCard XCMD which needs to invoke a hypertalk function in
my stack. The function in its turn invoke an ask dialog. I have tried to do
this by using the XCMD Glue function "EvalExpr" (by Dan Winkler), with the
param string "myFunction(param)" or "get myFunction(param)". In neither case
is the myFunction called, and the result returned to the XCMD is 0.
Am I missing something?
I have managed to get the result I want somehow by changing my function to
a message, and letting the handler return a value in the result. Then I use
this sequence in my XCMD:
    SendCardMessage(paramPtr,"myFunction param");
    h=EvalExpr(paramPtr,"the result");
This works, but is a little bit awkward.  I am using Think C 4.0.
Can anybody give me a piece of good advice?
Please answer directly to:
    Arne.Venstad@elab-runit.sintef.no

Regards,
Arne Venstad.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 10:59:44 CDT
From: GR4486%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu (Jack Sun)
Subject: HD doesn't load...

Hi there,

I need some advice/suggestions about this problem: My HD sometimes refuses to
load when I turn the power on.  If I start the Mac with a floppy, the HD would
never come up to the desktop.

I am using a new Mac Plus and a new Quantum (how to spell it?) Pro 40 drive in
a generic case with generic power supply.  The system works fine for most of
the times.  Somehow the problem comes up now and then (without notice, I guess
it is learnt from the Mac dealers who change the price without notice).

The disk is not crashed because it does load sometimes.  One guy told me that I
should suspect the power supply inside the case.  Others have nothing to offer.

Does anyone out there experienced similar problem?  Let me know so that we can
share the worry and concerns.

Thanks.   --Jack

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 08:19:58 EDT
From: Bob Kaynor <BKAYNOR%MITVMA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #159

In Info-Mac vol. 8 no. 159, Paul Romaniuk notes the transfer of Hypercard 2.0
to Claris, and the distribution of two different "versions", Reader and
Developer.  I understand from sources at Apple that in fact the HC application
is the *same* for both, the differences being in ease of access to higher
levels of use (scripting, authoring, etc.) and the accompanying support stacks.
In the interests of clarity, I'll reiterate...there is *no difference* in the
Hypercard program itself, but rather in the Home Stack and other supporting
stacks now included with all version of HC 1.xx.  There may be some very
legitimate concerns about what's happening to the "Computer for the rest of us"
and to our favorite "Authoring for the rest of us" program, but they are not
because there are 2 different Hypercards (at least not yet...).  Hope this
alleviates some anxiety.

                        -Bob Kaynor

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 1990 11:12-EDT
From: Tom.Lane@g.gp.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: LaserJet III and Mac SE (Info-Mac Digest V8 #159)

>I've got a professor here who wants to connect an existing LaserJet Series
>III printer to his Mac SE. It's a standard LJ III, no PostScript card, no
>AppleTalk option. In fact, it's currently hooked up to an IBM.
>They tell me that a Grappler LX will do this. Anyone know for sure? And does
>anyone have a better suggestion, considering that money is tight, as always?

I haven't any experience with Grappler products, but there are a couple
of all-software solutions, namely MacPrint (from Insight, I think) and
JetLink Express (from GDT).  Each of these is a Chooser-selectable
printer driver that spits out LJ print commands rather than Apple
printer commands.  Each comes with a short Mac-to-LJ cable; buy a 50ft
RS232 extension cable and you're in business.

I've used JLE pretty extensively.  It is basically a QuickDraw printer
driver: the Mac draws a bitmap page image internally, then dumps the
image as bitmap graphics commands to the printer.  The main drawback of
this is that a full page at 300dpi is about 1Mb of data, which takes a
while to shove over a serial line.  (You definitely want to be running
the printer at its maximum 19200bps, not at 9600 which is all that some
PCs can manage --- may be a problem if you intend to switch between PC
and Mac.)  JLE is fairly bright about not sending white space, so
typical print times are two to four minutes per page, less if the page
is only partly covered.  If you are in a hurry you can work at 150 or
even 75 dpi, which reduces the data volume & print time by a factor of
4 or 16, with a loss in print quality.  (By now they may have an LJ
III-specific driver that understands the III's graphic data compression
options; that would speed things up too.)

JLE comes with scalable Times, Helvetica, Courier, and Symbol fonts;
I would recommend not using theirs, but instead investing in ATM and
Adobe fonts.  There are some bugs in their scalable-font code, leading
to non-WYSIWYG behavior.  ATM also gives you access to a much bigger
font library.  Note that fonts built into the printer are totally
ignored in this approach.

I haven't used MacPrint personally, but I understand that it takes a
different approach; instead of imaging characters as bitmaps, it sends
the text to the printer to be printed in a printer font.  This is
obviously a lot faster (only need to send 1 byte per character) but it
has a couple of major drawbacks: you can only use fonts that are built
into the printer, and you get funny spacing unless the Mac is using a
screen font that matches the printer font width-wise.  MacPrint comes
with some screen fonts that match some typical HP printer fonts.  (I
don't know if MacPrint supports the III's scalable printer fonts yet.)

Actually JLE can do this too, and I expect MacPrint can do bitmaps (at
least for pictures), but the products are optimized for two different
printing methods and different applications.  If you want fast text
output and are not too picky about what it looks like, go for MacPrint;
if you want WYSIWYG, buy JLE (and ATM).  If graphics are your main
output, JLE probably has an edge because they have put a lot of work
into dumping bitmaps as fast as possible.  (In case it's not obvious,
neither of these products, nor Grappler, will let you print PostScript
graphics.)

Incidentally, there are a lot of application programs out there that
don't work very well with non-Apple printer drivers.  For example,
HyperCard will talk to JLE, but it insists on printing at 75 dpi.
Microsoft programs are reported to be particularly blatant offenders
(I don't own any).  I expect MacPrint and Grappler will suffer from
this effect as much as JLE, though possibly for different sets of
applications.  If your prof has particular applications he wants to
use, you'd be well advised to post a more specific query asking for
people's experiences with those applications and the three printing
products.

I eventually gave up on JLE and went to PostScript for this reason.
A PS upgrade will run you about $1000 over the bare LJ III, so it may
be out of reach; but expect to suffer some aggravation with any of the
cheaper solutions.

>Oh. The connecting wire between that Mac and the printer will be about 50
>feet long. It's got to go over a cinderblock wall and stuff. Problems?

I don't think so; I had a 25ft cable between Mac and LJ and never saw
any problems.  Better buy a shielded cable, though.  You don't need
a full 25-wire cable, so it shouldn't be too expensive.  Also, I think
you can configure the LJ input as RS422 (double ended), which would
give you better noise immunity; you may need a nonstandard cable for
this, though.

Incidentally, you can also buy serial-to-parallel converters that allow
you to feed data into the LJ's Centronics port.  This is a win with
JLE since the LJ can accept graphics data thru the Centronics port
much faster than its maximum serial port rate; JLE will let you crank
the Mac serial port up to 57kbps to drive such a setup.  (I think that
the hardware part of a Grappler may be essentially this kind of device.)
HOWEVER, I'm not sure whether parallel ports and cables are as noise
immune as RS232.  Better check that before you go for a 50ft run;
better ask about it if you spring for a Grappler, too.

--
				tom lane
Internet: tgl@cs.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 15:16:10 MDT
From: kaminski@Outlaw.UWyo.Edu (Karen M Kaminski)
Subject: Mac & Ethernet

  At the University here we are using Novell as a LAN and are
  switching over to LANWorks (PCSA).  Additionally, we have people
  on campus who simply want to use Telnet to access our VAX
  cluster.  For PC's we use the Racal Interlan card so I am
  planning to evaluate the NISE from Interlan for the Macintosh.  I
  have also been told that there is a card by/called Assante but
  have not been able to find any information on this card.

  If anyone can give me assistance or recommendations on cards for
  the Macintosh SE and II series, it would be greatly appreciated.
  I will compile and provide any information I receive for the list
  and will also post my findings.

  Thank you,

  Karen Kaminski

  A devoted Macintosh user lost in a land of PC's.

  Kaminski@uwyo.bitnet
  Kaminski@uwyo.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 12:56:44 EDT
From: Joe McMahon <XRJDM@scfvm>
Subject: MacX through FastPath

Would anyone who is successfully running MacX on a Plus through a
FastPath network connection please drop me a note? I'm having
problems getting the MacTCP driver (supplied with MacX) to work.

 --- Joe M.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 13:47 MET
From: Derk Ederveen <D_Ederveen%pttrnl.nl@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MS-Word from Mac to PC ?

Hello,

I'm asking this for a friend of mine, who is currently preparing a thesis
on a Mac, using MS-Word 4.0, macDrawII, macPaint and superPaint(?).

For some very good reasons, he would like to continue the work on a PC,
without struggling with learning the features of another editor, so he
wants to use MS-Word on a PC.

Can anyone tell if
- the user-interface of MS-Word on a PC differs much from the Mac?
- it is possible to convert MS-Word 4.0-files to a PC, and how should
  that be done (preferably using discs, instead of cables, modems or networks)
- this conversion includes graphics? If not, how can that be done?
- there are programs, comparable with macDraw and/or macPaint, on a PC?

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before.
If there is enough interest, I'll summarize to the net.
Please reply by e-mail; I don't subscribe this group.

Thanks for your help!

Derk Ederveen
e-mail:         D_Ederveen@pttrnl.nl or
                ederveen@hlsdnl5.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 24 Sep 90 16:33 -0500
From: Sharkey <umfonta6@ccu.umanitoba.ca>
Subject: NEED HELP WITH : stddata_ctype.c

Hi,
I retrieved The Dartmouth Stack (Excellent Stuff) in order
to help me with writing my own XCMDs for some research that
I am currently working with.

However, this file "stddata_ctype.c" which is included in many
of the XCMD source listings I can not find.

I am guessing that it is somewhere in one of the BinHexed
files along with others but where I do not know.

Any Help you might offer Would Be Greatly Appreciated :)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 18:34:12 -0500
From: giddings@cs.wisc.edu (Michael Giddings)
Subject: NetWork Processor

I am looking for a program(CDEV?) called NetWork Processor which
allows parallel computation on a network of Macintoshes
connected through AppleTalk.  I think it was developed
in Germany.  I read about it in the documentation for a program
called 'Spinning Brain', but have no where it might be found,
whether it is shareware, etc.
If anyone can help, please e-mail to me at:

giddings@cs.wisc.edu

Mike Giddings

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 12:56 CST
From: SAWATZKYJ%sask.usask.ca@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Printer Fonts

        Hi, does anyone out there know of a font utility (preferrably shareware)
that ca
   n change the printer fonts reference in the screen font,  ie. screen font'Uni
   vers 45' changed to look for printer font 'univer' instead of 'unive'.  Can
ResEdit do this?  If so what resource do I look at?

Thanks in advance!  ---------------------Brad Sawatzky

**********"Hey Lily, you were in the Army.  What's an 'adjective'.?************

Joan Sawatzky           College of Nursing      Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

----------------------  University of Saskatchewan  ---------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 05:25 CST
From: Paul Kleeberg <PAUL@gacvx1.gac.edu>
Subject: QuicKeys 2.0

A number of weeks ago I received an upgrade notification for QuicKeys
2.0.  When I called they said it would be compatible with System 7.0 but
gave me no other information.  I am wondering about its future utility,
the fact it was released BEFORE System 7 and the fact that the brief
upgrade documentation made no reference to System 7.  How much will I
gain from the new version over what I have now?  Anyone out there care to
comment?

Paul

Paul Kleeberg, M.D.      | Internet:   Paul@GAC.EDU
Methodist Hospital       | Bitnet:     Paul@GACVAX1.BITNET
217 West Swift Street    | Fax:        507-931-6752
St. Peter, MN 56082      | Voice:      507-931-6721

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 16:32:31 CST
From: Steve Kohlmeyer <steve@sunserver.psych.umn.edu>
Subject: Slot numbers for video boards

The Net,

I have a question concerning how one can determine the slot number of a
particular video board.  The problem arises because you must know the slot
number of the board if you want to insert a task into the vertical retrace queue
for that particular monitor.  (Yes, I must use the vertical retrace queue)
However, I know of no way to determine the slot number of a particular board if
more than one board is present in the machine.  One solution is to check the ID
of each board in the machine. -- However, this requires that you know the ID of
every video board that might be used.  If anyone has any idea how an application
can determine what slot a particular video board is in, please help!  Send your
answer to me.  Thanks!

Steve Kohlmeyer                            phone:  (612) 626-1551
Image Understanding Laboratory             email:  steve@eye.psych.umn.edu
Department of Psychology
University of Minnesota 55455

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 90 13:39 +0100
From: Pieter Stouten <STOUTEN%EMBL.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Software partitions: which one to use ? / Slow Hard Disk problem.

Recently we bought DiskExpress II and SUM II. Both packages provide the
possibility to create software partitions on Hard Disks. I wonder which
partition scheme to use.
Therefore, I would like to hear all experiences (good or bad) with any of
those two tools and, if possible, a comparison between the two.

A related question: when using DiskExpress II (actually Disk Check which
comes with DiskExpress II) to verify the internal Hard Disk of a Mac Plus,
towards the end of the check (after say 78,000 of 80,000 blocks) the time
to read a single block can increase to almost two (2!) seconds. I wonder
what is wrong. I know virtually nothing about Hard Disks, but can this
problem have anything to do with the fact that the disk originally comes
>From a Mac IIcx ?

Reply to me or to the net. Thanks in advance,

####  ##   ##  ###   #      Pieter Stouten
#     # # # #  #  #  #      EMBL Heidelberg, Biocomputing Programme
###   #  #  #  ###   #
#     #     #  #  #  #      stouten@embl.bitnet
####  #     #  ###   ####   stouten@gold.embl-heidelberg.de

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 19:20 N
From: "Gary T. Czychi" <CZYCHI%CSGHSG5A.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Subject: Re: OnCue 1.3 & 1.5 and Multifinder 6.0.5 & 6.1b9

In Info-Mac.157, Keith E Gatling (RSKEG%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu)
writes:

> I have had  no problem with the production version  of OnCue (1.3) and
> Multifiner 6.05.
> Could you please explain a little more.

Hi Keith,

I'm using a different version of MultiFinder (6.1b9) than you are. This is
a special version, which shows the opened applications *before* the DAs.

This feature however breaks OnCue, which takes for granted that the
application list comes *after* the DA list. So, OnCue 1.3 and OnCue 1.3
Demo show a list of all the DAs instead of the apps.

So my question was if I can patch OnCue or if there is another fix for it.
And indeed there is: Someone (I forgot his name) has told me, that there is
an upgrade for OnCue (V1.5) and that it should solve the problem.

This is all I know. Especially I don't know if there is a new demo version
as well. But if there is, please send it to me or better yet to Info-Mac.

Gary

        Gary T. Czychi             University of St.Gallen, Switzerland

                czychi@csghsg52.BITNET               (preferred)
                czychi@bernina.ethz.ch.UUCP          (CZYCHI@ETHZ.uucp)

                        Tel.: --41 / 71 / 57 17 22

------------------------------

Date: 25 Sep 90  9:50 +0200
From: Sven Meiborg Sorensen <sms@dou.dk>
Subject: Telnet with dialog logging?

Hello netters,

We are using NCSA Telnet for terminal emulation on a
large number of Macs connected to the internet via
Kinetics (= Shiva) FastPath 4s.
For logging of on-line database searches, one of our
professors wants a feature which is not available in
NCSA Telnet at present: the ability to log parts of
a terminal session to a text file - preferably by
toggling a switch before and after every part of
the dialog which should be kept. He is  N O T
satisfied with cutting and pasting between Telnet's
window and a word processor a la McSink.

Does anyone know of a terminal emulator with such
a logging mechanism (it  M U S T  run via
FastPath 4, i.e. it must be TCP/IP-based)?

/ Two fellow netters have mentioned TCP/Connect       /
/ from InterCon - I will give that a try as soon as   /
/ a get in touch with InterCon.                       /

Thanks in advance,

Sven M. Sorensen        sms@dou.dk
Senior Analyst
Odense University
Denmark

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 14:34:35 EDT
From: cohen@excalibur.itd.nrl.navy.mil (Neil Cohen)
Subject: Transfer from Sun <--> Mac

I'm trying to download some source files from a Sun workstation to
a Mac - on which I use Stuffit 1.5.1 - Can anyone point me to an
encode/decode routine on the Mac that corresponds to the BinHex option
in Stuffit? I tried uuencode/uudecode, but that did not seem to work.

Is it possible to build a Stuffit-format archive of files on the Sun
so I can download one file instead of dozens?

Please send mail - I'll summarize if it seems appropriate.

Thanks,

nbc

NAME:   Neil B. Cohen (Tracor Applied Sciences)
PHONE:  703-444-4610
DOMAIN: nbc@excalibur.itd.nrl.navy.mil
* Murphy's Philosophy: Smile - tomorrow will be worse...    *
* O'Tooles Commentary: Murphy was an optimist!              *

End of Info-Mac Digest