Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (09/30/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sat, 29 Sep 90       Volume 8 : Issue 163

Today's Topics:

      [*] ContourMap Demo V1.2.1
      [*] MacWordSearch 1.2
      [*] Quinta
      [*] RasterPaint.sit.hqx
      [*] Solarian II 1.0.3
      CD ROM AND SUPERDRIVE AND THE DAMNED FX
      Eps or tiff to CAD format
      Grammar
      HC2.0
      HC2.0 goes to Claris
      MAC Novice
      Murph's VAPORWARE Column for October 1990
      Orlando Poon
      REMOVAL OF JCLOCK?
      SE Screen Flicker with Interna
      Slow(?) Hard Disk
      Utility to view MacPaint/MacDraw files

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 90 19:58:34 EST
From: pjy100%csc@anu.anu.oz.au
Subject: [*] ContourMap Demo V1.2.1

About ContourMap Demo V1.2.1:
ContourMap draws contour maps of three dimensional data interactively.
Input data can be either from a regular grid or from an irregular set of
points in the x y plane. Output can be quality printed on a Laserwriter,
copied to the clipboard or saved in a PICT file.
Control is provided over the form of the contour map, including line
thickness and dash pattern, label positioning, colour, text font, size
and style, x and y axes, line drawing, grid markings and map size. Maps
can be edited interactively allowing for good control over final touchups.
ContourMap also provides data editing capabilities as well as missing data
interpolation.

This demo version only supports the data sets provided.

Hardware Required:
o This demo version only runs on Macs with floating point chips (68881 or
  68882) and requires approx 800k of memory on a 1 bit monitor machine,
  with larger requirements for colour monitors (4 bit needs an extra 180k).

Feature List:
o Regular grid of data or irregularly spaced data
o Interactive editing of map
o Interactive editing of data
o Contour line labelling
o Arbitrary text labels
o Arbitrary line segments with the ability to confine contouring within or
 outside of closed polygons
o X and Y axes
o Data point markers
o Either line drawing or shading mode
o Colour, line thickness (laserwriter hairlines) and font detail selection
o PICT overlays
o dashed lines
o Multifinder friendly with background processing support

Release Notes v1.1
o Added PICT overlays.
o Added dashed line support.
o Added ability to plot data values as data markers.
o Fixed bugs from v1.0.2

Release Notes v1.2
o General polishing with added progress dialogs for time consuming tasks.
o Fixed v1.1 bug which, after specifying a grid beyond the current bounds
  of data, the bounds were not updated causing strange behaviour.

Release Notes v1.2.1
o Correctly centre data markers on data point - previously only some
  characters from a font were centred correctly.
o Shade polygon info stored in replay files - previously shade polygons
  needed to be recalculated when playing back a replay file hence losing
  any shade settings.
o Corrected positioning of labels which follow contours on LW output.

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/contour-map-121-part1.hqx; 160K
             /info-mac/demo/contour-map-121-part2.hqx; 158K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Aug 90 14:16:42 pdt
From: hplabs!hp-sdd!ncr-sd!ncrwic!enint.Wichita.NCR.COM!cking@labrea.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] MacWordSearch 1.2
A word search is a maze of letters containing hidden words.  The
words may be forward, backward, up, down, or diagonal in a straight
line.  Now you can easily make puzzles for the classroom, parties,
etc., and you pick the topic!

MacWordSearch is a freeware utility that creates a word search puzzle
given a list of words in a text file.  You use your favorite word
processor to finalize and print the output.  Happy Word Hunting!

Chuck King, KX9S
cking@wichita.ncr.com
316-687-6968 5pm-9pm Kansas time

[Archived as /info-mac/game/mac-word-search-21; 100K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 90 14:02:37 -0500
From: Eric Wayne Sink <ews00461@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: [*] Quinta

This is yet another release of Quinta.  This version makes an
attempt at portability to other platforms.  I'd like to see
someone attempt to bring it up on a UNIX machine or the like.
The code compiles under MPW C and Think C 3.0.

Full source is included, Quinta is free, not shareware.  (yes,
I changed that status).

For those who have not seen Quinta, and most have not:
	Quinta is an object oriented programming language for the
	Macintosh.  It is stack based, and interpreted.  Quinta
	supports most standard object oriented language features
	as well as floating point and lots of other stuff.  Quinta
	programs are included for sieve and symbolic math.  Quinta
	does not at this time generate stand alone applications, nor
	does it support simple access to the ToolBox.  Quinta does
	have a full range of low level constructs and an in-memory
	compiler, written in Quinta.  A disassembler is also included.
	Full documentation is Microsoft Word format is here as well
	as a project file for Think C and a quinta.make file for
	MPW C.  Best wishes!  Any comments would be greatly
	appreciated.  My valid mail path for the time being is
	e-sink@uiuc.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/lang/quinta.hqx; 283K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Aug 90 15:55:47 +0100
From: jean%biomac.univ-lyon1.fr@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] RasterPaint.sit.hqx

RasterPaint is a Macintosh program to translate Sun B&W raster files
(bitmaps) into MacPaint files. The user interface is minimal,
and bitmaps size is limited to 342 x 512. The Sun raster file must
first be transfered to the Mac with a communication program (binary
option necessary).
This is freeware. Send e-mail to me if you want the (Fortran) source
code.

Jean

thioulou@biom2.univ-lyon1.fr

[Archived as /info-mac/util/raster-paint.hqx; 30K]

------------------------------

Date: 28 Sep 90 20:25:34 GMT
From: scallon@cod.nosc.mil (Matthew C. Scallon)
Subject: [*] Solarian II 1.0.3

This is version 1.03 of Solarian II.  It has several bug fixes, it now
works with all multiple monitor setups, all video cards whether 24-bit
or no, as long as it is set to 8-bit of course, it is generally a much
cleaner and higher-quality version.  It has been beta tested at many
sites and appears to be completely clean, including running under A/UX
and system 7.0.  I really think anybody using Solarian II should
download this, since some of the bugs regarding sound, and some other
stuff, was sort of potentially very bad.

For those not in the know Solarian II is a full-color, digitized sound
video game for the Mac SE/30 and up.  It absolutely requires one
monitor (at least) running in 8-bit (256-shade) mode.  It is shareware,
the fee is $25, and I am told it is worth it.  It has been compared
favorably to commercial video games whose names I won't say out of
niceness.

So, here it is.  Enjoy.  This is why people pay shareware fees - new
versions.  Yeah.

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)

[Moderator's Note: This is probably the largest binary posted to c.b.m.
 in its history, but I've taken a look at it, and I was impressed.  To
 cut down the size a bit, and to experiment with a different compression
 format, I've used Compactor 1.21 to reduce the size of the archive by
 17% over StuffIt 1.5.1.  That kind of savings turns out to be fairly
 significant in a posting of this size.

 Compactor and a couple of associated utilities will be posted following
 Solarian II, so don't despair and stay tuned.  And as with my previous
 posting of UnStuffIt Deluxe, don't worry that we're switching archive
 formats; for now, use of Compacter is for this posting only.]

[Archived as /info-mac/game/solarian-ii-103-part1.hqx; 260K
             /info-mac/game/solarian-ii-103-part2.hqx; 260K
             /info-mac/game/solarian-ii-103-part3.hqx; 198K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 17:42:36 SST
From: Tng TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: CD ROM AND SUPERDRIVE AND THE DAMNED FX

I recently upgraded my IIx to an fx. But I now regretted the change.
My previously fine Apple CDROM no longer reads properly. I tried the same
CD ROMS on a drive connected with the good old II and they worked fine.
The fx is too fast!!! Similar problems were encountered with the Superdrives.
Anybody has the same experiences? Can anyone help me?
IS APPLE LISTENING???!!!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 10:09:16 LCL
From: ESMITH%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Eps or tiff to CAD format

   Does anyone know if there is an interface package that can scan
an eps or tiff image and translate it into CAD graphics format? I know
this is a sketchy request but I have a user who has quite a few
architectural drawings that he wants to move into his CAD system.
His only option right now is to redraw all of them using CAD. I have a scanner
with a Mac IIcx which could scan the drawings IF there was a package that
could convert these scans to a CAD format he could utilize.

   Can anyone help? I will furnish more information on the package he uses
(no, I don't even know yet :) ) if you think you can help. Thanks!

   As Always,
     Gene

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 00:04:10 -0500
From: MPHS021%BOGECNVE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Grammar

Grettings from Macomb,
    I am going to be buying a program to check grammar.  Some of the
programs that I am currently looking into are:

             Correct Grammar from Lifetree
             Grammatik Mac 1.0 from Reference software
             Sensible Grammar from Sensible software

I was really wondering how well these programs work, so any comments from
users who have experience with these programs would be helpful.  If I receive
a good number of responses I will summarize to the net.

Thank you in advance,

Bryan Pearce
Apple Student Rep. / Techoid

Western Illinois University [MPHS021@BOGECNVE]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 09:53:40 PDT
From: Paul Romaniuk <PROMAN%UVVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HC2.0

Murph Sewall is correct, Apple did not *sell*
HyperCard 2.0 to Claris - it was a "transfer of
responsibility".  I have appended below the full text of the
original press release, and a summary obtained from CIS of
the salient points of a conference held Wednesday night with
Mike Holm of Apple.

Paul
---------------------------------

MOVED OVER BUSINESS WIRE AT 10:06 PDT, THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER
20, 1990.

APPLE ANNOUNCES TRANSFER OF HYPERCARD TO CLARIS

CUPERTINO, California -- September 20, 1990 -- Apple
Computer, Inc. today announced that it has transferred
responsibility for development, marketing, distribution and
support of its HyperCard  software product to its
wholly-owned subsidiary Claris Corporation.  This move
follows Apple's decision last June to keep Claris as an
independent subsidiary.
     Claris will label, distribute and support HyperCard  in
the U.S. beginning in November 1990. The first broad U.S.
distribution of the new HyperCard 2.0 -- which contains more
than 100 new features for greater flexibility and ease of
use -- will be as a Claris product.
     HyperCard and its current and future users will benefit
>From Claris customer support and more aggressive development
and marketing. International markets will be evaluated and,
where appropriate, implemented case-by-case.
     A version of HyperCard 2.0, which will run existing
HyperCard stacks and new HyperCard 2.0 stacks, will continue
to be shipped with every Macintosh computer.
     A complete HyperCard 2.0 authoring system, necessary
for developing stacks, will be sold by Claris.
     Claris will offer low-cost upgrades to the installed
base of HyperCard customers in November.  All current
distribution agreements with user groups and third-party
developers will be honored.  Starting next year,
distribution agreements will be made with Claris. Beginning
with the transition, Claris will also offer customer support
to all users who have purchased  the Claris-labeled
HyperCard 2.0.
     "The transfer of HyperCard will be a positive move for
all parties," said Randy Battat, vice president of worldwide
product marketing for  Apple Computer.  "Customers will
benefit from the new  support available to them through
Claris, and the active development of new HyperCard stacks;
developers will appreciate the aggressive Claris marketing
programs resulting in expanded customer acceptance and
ultimately many exciting new HyperCard solutions."
     John Zeisler, Claris marketing vice president, said,
"HyperCard is an important first step in Claris's new focus
on turning software into a strategic advantage for Apple.
We're excited about new ways to enrich Apple's software
development environment and promote the creation of
innovative Macintosh applications."
     HyperCard 2.0, announced in June, 1990, will provide
users with easy access to the power of Macintosh computer
programming, and greater flexibility to manage and create
information, using virtually any type of media. Among the
easiest to use and learn programming tools for personal
computers, HyperCard 2.0 is expected to appeal to beginners
who can put it to work immediately, and to corporate and
commercial developers, for whom it is a more powerful
development environment than ever.  HyperCard 2.0 features
an entirely new set of ready-to-use and example stacks for
storing personal and business information, and creating
graphics and charts.

- 30 -

Apple, Macintosh, and HyperCard are registered trademarks
of Apple Computer, Inc. Claris is a registered trademark of
Claris Corporation.

END
--------------------------
>From:    Michael Long 76174,54
To:      All

For those that missed it, here is a brief summary of the HC
2.0 conference with Mike Holm that occurred here on Wed.
night.

First, and most important.  A FULL version of the HC 2.0
program (NOT a crippled version) WILL ship with every new
Macintosh CPU.

Also included on the single 1.44 mb micro-floppy is a
limited Home stack (user level 1-2 only, 3-5 are covered by
a opaque button), the new Addresses and Appointments stacks,
and a "Audio Recorder/Player" stack.  Included with the disk
is a 30 page booklet with information on how to use (not
script) HyperCard, and the things that can be done with it.

All HC 1.X owners will be able to upgrade to the full
version (4-disks, 2-manuals) from Claris for $49 starting in
the (unspecified) near future.  New 2.0 owners will pay
more, but how much has not been determined.

HC 2.0 HAS been shipped to ALL registered developers, and to
ALL registered users groups.

You WILL be able to upgrade to HC 2.0 from your local user
group without paying $49.  You will not, however, get any
manuals.

Electronic services --like CIS-- will NOT be distributing HC
2.0.

Oh, yeah, Claris will be providing HyperCard phone support
for people who buy the box.

Michael

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Sep 90 23:53:54 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HC2.0 goes to Claris

On Fri, 21 Sep 90 21:03:47 PDT you said:
>Reading CIS tonight, I learned that Apple has sold HyperCard 2.0 to
>Claris.

Not exactly a "sale" since Claris is (now) a wholly owned subsidiary
(closely held division?) of Apple.  Apple = hardware, Claris = software
(or at least, that's alleged to be the plan <today>).

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 10:33:02 EDT
From: braman@btvlabvm.iinus1.ibm.com
Subject: MAC Novice

Hello Netters,
 First the good news. I am switching from a DOS ( DOG :-) ) environment
to a MAC environment.
 Next the Bad News : Questions>
 1) I have a DESKJET+ left over from the old environment. I would like to
    get it hooked up to the MAC II as cheaply as possible.
 2) Which C (C++) compiler to buy ? Lightspeed C or MPW C bundle and C++.
    The second option is very expensive. How far removed is the Object
    Oriented-ness of Lightspeed as compared to C++ ? Will I learn all bad
    concepts that will make a later switch to Ma Bell's C++ difficult ?
 3) How do I transfer some .hqx files I got accumulated on a DOS disks
    to MAC and unpack them ? I have got some TAMIL fonts and bitmaps for
    the MAC I would like to get moved to the MAC. The only connectivity
    I have is 3.5" 800K diskettes :-).
I know these kinds of questions have been asked many many times. One more
time wouldn't hurt this poor soul. You would get a convert.
Hm...... may be I should be switching to NeXt now that the prices are
coming down. What do you think ?
Balu Raman,CCP ( that's a funny Suffix )
BRAMAN@BTVLABVM.IINUS1.IBM.COM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Sep 1990 23:57:30 EDT
From: Murph Sewall <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Murph's VAPORWARE Column for October 1990

                         VAPORWARE
                       Murphy Sewall
              From the October 1990 APPLE PULP
       H.U.G.E. Apple Club (E. Hartford) News Letter
             $15/year U.S. - $18/year Canadian
                       P.O. Box 18027
                  East Hartford, CT 06118
            Call the "Bit Bucket" (203) 569-8739
     Permission granted to copy with the above citation

A Real 3-D Display.
Texas Instruments has shown a "bubble" display two feet in
diameter which "floats" three dimensional images within a
volume.  Multiple viewers can see the display from any side
without special goggles or eyeshades.  Dubbed "Omniview,"
TI's patent application describes the technology as a
"real-time, auto-stereoscopic, multiplanar 3-D display
system."  Initial commercial applications may appear as
early as next year.  - InfoWorld 20 August

Motorola 68040 Delayed Again.
Although volume production had been planned for last month,
Motorola officials found a few last minute bugs (described
as "very minute") to correct.  Volume production of the chip
for machines already introduced by Hewlett-Packard and NeXT
and anticipated from Apple is now scheduled for the end of
October or early in November.  NeXT's planned October 15
shipping date seems likely to slip.
- InfoWorld 17 September

Intel's 50 MHz i486 Delayed.
Intel's microprocessor group president, David House, has
admitted that plans to deliver a 50 MHz i486 CPU this year
were "overzealous."  Large PC manufacturers have been told
that volume production will not begin until sometime in
early 1991.  Meanwhile, PC manufactures will also have to
adapt to Intel's soon to be announced decision to streamline
their product line.  By the end of next summer, Intel plans
to slim down to only three CPU's -- the 20 MHz 80386SX, the
25 MHz 80386, and the 33 MHz i486.
- PC Week 27 August and 10 September

i486 Clone.
Integrated Information Technologies has confirmed that it is
working on an i486 CPU clone.  The company already clones
the 80287 and 80387 math coprocessors and the 8514/A
graphics processor.  Sample quantities of the i486 clone are
expected sometime during the first quarter of next year.
- InfoWorld 27 August

Intel i586 Design Note.
Microsoft's William Gates and Intel's David House are
discussing whether to build the graphics primitives of
Windows 3.0 and OS/2's Presentation Manager into the mask of
the forthcoming i586 chip.  Such a decision would markedly
improve the performance of both graphic user interfaces.
- PC Week 27 August

Miniature Production Studio.
Newtek Inc. of Topeka, Kansas will offer a $1,595 VLSI board
named the "Video Toaster" for the Amiga Computer.  When used
with Newtek's point-and-click Light Wave software (bundled
with the Toaster), the Amiga becomes a miniature production
studio for less than $5,000 that can perform numerous
editing functions at a professional level.  Newtek's Toaster
is a video switcher, effects generator, dual frame buffer,
and character generator with a 16.8 million color, RT-170
resolution NTSC output.  The largely intuitive New Wave
software is accessible to users without specialized video
training.  - InfoWorld 3 September

Video Explorer.
A professional quality video card for the Macintosh from
Intelligent Resources called the Video Explorer is scheduled
to ship early in 1991.  The Video Explorer allows digital
special effects such as blending, mixing, and fading of
multiple live and recorded images as well as standard fades,
wipes, and dissolves.  At "under $10,000," the card is
somewhat more pricey than Amiga's Video Toaster.
- InfoWorld 17 September

Where's Hobbes?
Look for an announcement this month of a 40 MHz Sun color
system known as Calvin.  The 28 MIP workstation based on a
Cypress Semiconductor RISC CPU will compete with IBM's
RS/6000 and Digital's DECstation 5000 lines.  An aggressive
price below the $12,995 for IBM's least expensive RS/6000 is
anticipated.  Calvin's floating performance is expected to
be between four and five megaflops (compared to 7 MFlops for
IBM's POWERstation 320).  - PC Week 27 August

NeXT Generation Spreadsheet.
Lotus's Improv for the new color NeXT computer may represent
the next generation of spreadsheet-graphic software. Improv
features three-dimensional graphics with the capability to
change views simply by clicking on one axis and dragging it
to another axis.  It isn't yet known how many of Improv's
new features will be incorporated in the company's Macintosh
and Window's 3 products which are expected in early 1991.
- InfoWorld 17 September

Macintosh Introductions.
The introduction of three new Macintosh's on the 15th is
still on (see last month's column).  Apple has decided to
offer all three with a minimum of 2 Mbytes of RAM in
anticipation of System 7 (by Valentine's Day, maybe).  The
company also has decided to respond to industry pressure by
lowering the price of the basic Mac Classic (one 3.5 inch
SuperDrive, no hard disk) to $995.  The lowest price color
model, the modular 68020 CPU Mac LC, may not actually ship
until January.  An Apple //e emulation board will be offered
for the Mac LC -- something less than the "no compromises"
Apple II card John Sculley promised last April (see July's
column).  Perhaps IIgs software will run on the
configuration.  There is a rumor that a new IIgs based on a
Motorola 68020 with 4-bit color and a $2,500 list price will
be announced after January 1 (someone may have confused the
Mac-LC with Apple II card, also known as the Macintosh IIgs
with a new IIgs).  A new high-end Macintosh built around a
25 MHz Motorola 68040 and priced in the $9,000 to $11,000
range is planned for the first half of next year.
- InfoWorld 20 August and PC Week 3 September

Executive Pen-Based Computer.
Active Book Company will introduce a pen to glass input
(with optional keyboard) computer next spring.  The four
pound notebook sized machine will cost about $2,000 and
receive FAX and record voice mail as well as edit documents
and search data bases.  The CPU will be an Acorn RISC
processor and the planned operating system is UNIX-based
Helios, but licensing Go Corporation's technology (see last
month's column) has not been ruled out.  Active Book's
computer also will come with an MS-DOS emulator and battery
life of eight to ten hours is anticipated.
- InfoWorld 20 August

Downward Compatibility.
Microsoft's MS-DOS 5.0 will contain a Set Ver (set version)
command that will allow users to make the operating system
emulate earlier MS-DOS versions from 2.0 up for those
applications that turn out to be incompatible with DOS 5.0.
- InfoWorld 20 August

IBM/Macintosh Data Compatibility.
All the new Macintoshes read IBM 3.5 inch floppy disk
format, and now IBM plans to introduce a drive for the
RS/6000 work station that will read and write Macintosh 1.44
Mbyte floppies.  The capability to read Mac disks also will
be available for Sun SPARCstations by the end of the year.
- InfoWorld 17 September

PageMaker 4.0 for Windows.
Aldus was expected to announce PageMaker 4.0 for Windows at
last May's introduction, but the product was delayed.  The
program which takes advantage of Window's 3.0 features,
dynamic data exchange, and improved font handling now is
slated for release by the end of the year.
- PC Week 27 August

Even Larger Capacity Hard Drives.
IBM is said to be planning to announce a 200 MByte
magneto-optical drive with a $1,500 retail price.  Only 10
years ago the 2 Mbyte hard drive introduced with the Morrow
computer was viewed as large enough to meet anyone's storage
needs.  Now hard drives with capacities exceeding the
Morrow's by over 1,000 times (2 gigabytes) are described as
"just around the corner."
- InfoWorld 10 September and PC Week 27 August

Another Source of Laser Printers.
Compaq appears to be planning an aggressive entry into the
laser printer business.  The company will manufacture
printers in Mexico that will print faster and cost less than
the popular HP III.  - PC Week 27 August

ClarisShare.
Now that Apple has decided not to spin-off it's software
division after all, the Claris label will begin appearing on
important Apple software including HyperCard, AppleShare,
and probably, the as yet unannounced AppleMail program.  A
Windows 3.0 version of Claris's FileMaker product is in the
works, and Claris executive want to proliferate Apple
technology onto other platforms and create "interoperable
superworkgroup applications" (applications that could be
shared among Macintosh, PC, and Unix workstations connected
to a network).  - InfoWorld 27 August

HyperCard 2.0 Delayed (Again).
Apple tried and failed to get numerous Apple publications to
delay for a month advertising that will appear in the November
issues.  The guess is that the ads (and stories) will be about
HyperCard 2.0 which has been delayed until November, at least.
The "final" beta version was sent to developers in late
September.  - read on AppleLink 19 September

dBase for UNIX.
Now that Ashton-Tate has finally shipped dBase IV 1.1, the
company has begun beta testing a version for UNIX.  No
definite release date or price has been set as yet.
- InfoWorld 20 August

Date: Sat, 29 Sep 1990 13:47:03 PDT
From: The Moderators <Info-Mac-Request@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Orlando Poon

I renamed /game/orlando-poon.hqx to /game/toxic-ravine.hqx since it seemed to
better match the author's intentions.

Bill

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 08:47 EDT
From: <FELDMAN_%CTSTATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: REMOVAL OF JCLOCK?

Please help!  I am using a Mac Plus, and whenever the computer is on there is a
clock in the upper right hand corner.  The clock is called 'jclock' I know that
because when I turn on the computer an icon flashs 'jclock' during the startup.
My question is HOW DO I GET RID OF IT?  It does not seem to be located in the
control panel, or in the system folder, as a matter of fact I don't even know
how it got on.  If anyone can help please send the information to me.

Thanks,

Garry Feldman
Central Connecticut State University

FELDMAN_GAL@CTSTATEU

------------------------------

Date: 28 Sep 90 08:26:00 EDT
From: "NRL::MASUMURA" <masumura%nrl.decnet@ccf4.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: SE Screen Flicker with Interna

I have an internal Conner HD in my SE.  During startup and disk access, the
screen flickers/distorts, mostly in the lower right corner.  (A previous
Quantum drive was worse.)  Does anyone know a fix for this? (Shielding the
power cable or the drive unit itself?)  I had an older Seagate drive (45MB)
previously, and had no flicker (but the drive died!).  The drive sits on
top of 2 internal floppy drives, as the Seagate did.  Please help! I can be
reached as MASUMURA@CCF.NRL.NAVY.MIL

------------------------------

Date: 28 Sep 90 10:30:00 EDT
From: "NRL::MASUMURA" <masumura%nrl.decnet@ccf4.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: Slow(?) Hard Disk

Howdy!  I recently bought a Conner 105MB HD (Protege) from MacAvenue  and
it seems to be running slow.  I'm using it on a 4MB SE with a Novy Mac20MX
accelerator board (68020 16MHz).  The drive is formatted 1:1, and the
Protege software allows no other interleave.  I think a 2:1 interleave may
speed it up a bit.  I tried using the CMS SCSI Utility v.5.5 (from my old
drive) which "allows" you to set the interleave when reformatting, but the
drive still comes up as 1:1 even though I set it at 2:1.  Does anyone know
of HD set-up software that allows you to (really) set the interleave, and
will a 2:1 interleave help?

Also, I noticed that using Disk Express ][ in the "optimize in background"
mode does slow things down, so I turned it off and optimize manually and
occasionally.

Finally (am I a speed freak?) I've used MacSpeed and wonder if anyone knows
where I can FTP the newer version, Speedometer 2.0.

Please send replies/suggestions to MASUMURA@CCF.NRL.NAVY.MIL

Thanks!!!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 10:37:28 MEZ
From: Ewald Jenisch <Z00EJR01%AWIUNI11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Utility to view MacPaint/MacDraw files

Does anybody know where I can find a utility for *viewing* MacPaint
and MacDraw files? I've to scan through some pictures and don't
want to fire up Freehand or Pagemaker for viewing only - seems to me
like a sort of overkill.

So if anybody knows about such a utility please drop me a line.

Thanks in advance,
Ewald Jenisch
University Computer Center
Univ. of Vienna, Austria