Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/02/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  1 Oct 90       Volume 8 : Issue 164

Today's Topics:

      [*] Replies to network backup question
      [*] VirusDetective 4.0.3
      [*] VolumeImage
      [*] ZirkleOne-Laser-Font
      An Object Pascal question.
      Apple CD-ROM drive and the IIfx
      Asante Ethernet Cards
      Asante Ethernet cards for Mac SE, SE/30, II's
      Creation date of a hard drive volume
      Error trapping in Turbo Pascal.
      How do I reverse B&W of the menu bar?
      how to contact foreign HyperCard distributors
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #159
      Inverted screen
      Is there an X server for Mac OS?
      Latest OzTeX v1.3 (?)
      McDraw II problems..
      Molecular Biology Analysis Software
      NetWork processor and distributed computing on the mac
      New virus: information for SAM 2 users
      Norton Utilities
      Problems printing...
      Quest for BBS Host Software
      SCSI hard disk problem
      SND specs
      Sports scheduling software?
      TOPS & 512 woes.

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri 28 Sep 90 16:18:24-PST
From: ROHAN%ASTRO.SPAN@star.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] Replies to network backup question

Recently I made a request for information about networked tape backups
these are the replies I recieved.  They were edited slightly for space
(sorry if this bothers someone).  Thanks to all who responded.

Here is the original query:
> I am wondering if anyone out there does unattended tape backups
> overnight on an Appletalk network (either with AppleShare or TOPS
> using both PC's and Mac's).  This ability is hinted at in many of
> the tape backup manufacturer's ads but has anyone actually implemented
> it?  Is it easy to do?  What tape drives do you suggest?  We have
> looked briefly at Tecmar.

[Archived as /info-mac/report/network-tape-backup.txt; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Sep 90 15:24:05 EDT
From: baks!pizza!jshul@bagate.uucp (Jeff Shulman)
Subject: [*] VirusDetective 4.0.3

A new strain of the ANTI virus was recently discovered in France (called
ANTI B.) A new search string to catch both variants, which replaces the
old search string, is:

Resource Start & Pos -1100 & WData 000FA146#90F#80703
; For finding ANTI A & B

IUve also taken this time to fix a minor bug with VirusDetective where
under certain obscure circumstances a crash could occur.

VirusDetective is a DA for tracking down viruses (or any resources) in files.

You specify the resource type and various attributes.  Once the offending
resource is found it can optionally be removed from the file (use this
feature with caution) or file deleted.  The user can update the search list
at any time.  Shareware.

 Jeff Shulman
 jshul@baks.bell-atl.com

Unbinex'ing this file will give you a self-extracting Compactor archive.

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/virus-detective-403.hqx; 120K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 90 15:05:36 -0400
From: brian e topping <topping@cis.ohio-state.edu>
Subject: [*] VolumeImage

VolumeImage 0.64 is an incremental backup/restore utility.  It's distinctive
features include the ability to completely restore a hard disk without user
intervention and optionally shut down the machine when it is finished.  While
it copies the disk, it sets folder windows and icons on the destination to
the same position as the source.  When it is done, it can optionally write
the boot blocks and set the startup application on the destination disk.

New features since 0.62 include correct operation on AUFS volumes, the
ability to set the startup application on the destination drive, and the
ability to move (rather than delete) files on the destination that do not
have a corresponding source file to a "Lost & Found" folder.

This archive includes a copy of VolumeImage 0.64 and documentation in
TeachText format.  It is the same as the archive available for anonymous
FTP from saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu (128.146.8.98).

This program is Shareware $10.00 by Brian Topping <topping@cis.ohio-state.edu>

[Archived as /info-mac/util/volume-image-064.hqx; 99K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Aug 90 10:12:32 CDT
From: bobs@saintjoe.edu (Bob Schenk)
Subject: [*] ZirkleOne-Laser-Font

Attached is ZirkleOne, a PostScript Type 1 font intended to replace
Zirkle, which I sent to the archives about a year ago. It is a rather
strange display font in two weights, plain and bold. More information
is in the Read-Me document with it.
- Robert Schenk

[Archived as /info-mac/font/zirkle-one.hqx; 60K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Oct 90 08:27 PDT
From: DAVID JOHN BURROWES <YODER@oregon.uoregon.edu>
Subject: An Object Pascal question.

I have a question concerning Object Pascal.  I am using TML Pascal II 3.1,
but I understand that this does not differ significantly from MPW Pascal in
this regard.
I want to declare two classes, where each contains a variable of the other's
type.  That is:
TYPE
   aaa = Object
      theOtherOne : bbb;
   END;
   bbb = Object
      notMe : aaa;
   END;

Does anyone out there have any ideas about how to do something like this?
Everything I've tried has resulted in no succes.
(For whatever it's worth.  My 'actual' goal is to have methods in each object
that can call the other one. But I think a solution to the above will cast
enough light on this.)

Thank you for whatever insights you have.

\david john burrowes

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Sep 90 21:03:07 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: Apple CD-ROM drive and the IIfx

> I recently upgraded my IIx to an fx. But I now regretted the change.
> My previously fine Apple CDROM no longer reads properly. I tried the same
> CD ROMS on a drive connected with the good old II and they worked fine.
> The fx is too fast!!! Similar problems were encountered with the Superdrives.
> Anybody has the same experiences? Can anyone help me?
> IS APPLE LISTENING???!!!

There are several ways in which the high speed of the IIfx SCSI
interface can cause problems with CD-ROM drives and other external SCSI
peripherals.  Fortunately, it's usually possible to work around these
problems.

1) Termination.  The IIfx SCSI bus is so fast that its state-transitions
   can load down the terminator-power line and cause false transitions
   to occur on other lines.

   Apple has addressed this problem by releasing two special terminator
   units for the IIfx.  The IIfx external terminator should be installed
   at the _very_end_ of the external SCSI bus... it should be plugged
   into the second SCSI port on the last device on the bus, and any
   internal terminators in this or any other external SCSI device should
   be removed.  This external terminator has a decoupling capacitor
   installed on the TERMPWR line;  this will greatly reduce the risk of
   power-bounce and signal leakage between lines.

   Apple also released a terminator-filter module for use inside the
   IIfx.  If your IIfx has an internal hard disk, this module should be
   plugged into the disk's SCSI header, and the IIfx's internal SCSI
   ribbon cable should be plugged into the module.  If your IIfx has no
   internal hard disk, this filter and the Apple-supplied internal
   terminator should be connected together and plugged into the IIfx
   internal SCSI port.

2) Proper bus topology.  The SCSI bus should be wired up as a true
   bus... a single long piece of wire (interrupted by jacks and
   connectors).  There should be few (and preferably _no_) stubs...
   pieces of wire which run "off to the side" of the main bus.  Stubs
   cause reflections on the bus, and the IIfx is so fast that its SCSI
   chip is more prone to being bothered by reflections than many other
   SCSI devices.  The SCSI-1 specification does allow for the presence
   of stubs... but they should be no longer than .1 meter (4 inches),
   shouldn't be closer together than 12", and their number should be
   very limited.  My belief is that a IIfx is so fast that the presence
   of _any_ stubs on the bus can cause problems.

   Unfortunately, many consumer-type SCSI peripherals are poorly
   configured.  A SCSI box (e.g. a CD-ROM drive) usually has two SCSI
   ports.  The proper configuration is to have a ribbon cable which is
   attached to one port, loops over to the drive controller, and then
   loops back to the second SCSI port.  This ensures that the controller
   is right "on the bus".  However, many SCSI devices simply run a
   ribbon cable from the first SCSI port to the second, and then
   continue it over to the drive controller board (at which location the
   ribbon cable ends).  This turns the ribbon cable into a stub...
   frequently an unterminated stub.

   I understand that the Apple CD-ROM drive (some models, at least) is
   wired up the wrong way... with a stub to the drive, rather than with
   the more correct "horseshoe" cable loop.  This can sometimes cause an
   Apple CD-ROM drive to fail to work with a IIfx, where it would work
   properly with a slower machine such as a II.

   The right way to deal with this sort of problem is to rewire the
   drive... remove the old ribbon cable and install a new one in the
   "horseshoe" configuration.  This is quite feasible (I've done it to a
   non-Apple SCSI drive), but is not for the faint of heart... it's easy
   to install the "vampire" insulation-displacing connectors
   incorrectly, and accidentally short out the SCSI bus.

   Another way to deal with this problem (less "correctly" but rather
   more easily) is to try substituting a different external SCSI cable
   for the one you're using.  Switching to a longer cable (6', 8', or
   even 12') often reduces the severity of reflection problems... the
   extra cable length damps down the amplitude of the reflections
   somewhat, and also delays them a bit.  This may resolve your
   problems.

3) Bus-handshaking speed.  The IIfx SCSI chip responds very rapidly to
   phase changes on the bus, and there are a few drives which are
   somewhat baffled by the speed with which the IIfx responds.  I
   understand that the Toshiba XM-3201 CD-ROM mechanism is affected in
   this way... I guess I'll find out for myself, as I have one of these
   and my IIfx upgrade is due to arrive in a few weeks.

   As with reflection-triggered problems, it's sometimes possible to
   deal with handshaking-speed problems by using a longer SCSI cable.
   The guy I spoke to at Toshiba said that "an 8-foot cable usually does
   it, 10 feet is almost certain.  I'd suggest going for a 12-foot cable
   if possible".

So... I'd suggest that you check your termination (use the
Apple-supplied IIfx internal and external terminators, and remove any
vendor-supplied internal termination in your peripherals), and try
rearranging your SCSI bus... use a longer cable between your IIfx and
your first peripheral, and try installing a longer daisy-chain cable
between your two peripherals.

Re your SuperDrive problems... I can't help you too much there, I'm
afraid.

--

------------------------------

Date: 1 Oct 90 12:45:00 CDT
From: "Coons, David" <ekdfc@ttacs1.ttu.edu>
Subject: Asante Ethernet Cards

Recently, there was a query about Asante's Ethernet cards for the Mac.
Our experience here at Texas Tech was that the Asante cards were not
100% compatible with the Apple and Kinetics cards.  Specifically, the
Asantes would not work on our campus TCP/IP-based network (using NCSA
Telnet software) until downward adjustments were made to some of
Telnet's configuration parameters.  It seemed the Asante cards
couldn't keep up with network traffic as well as the Apple or Kinetics
cards, but once the adjustments were made, they seemed to work OK
albeit slower (but who can tell at 10,000,000 bits per second? :-) ).

If it's any help, the adjustments we made were to set mtu=512 and
maxseg=512 instead of 1024 and 1024 in Telnet's CONFIG.TEL file.  Of
course, your specific hardware and software situation may render this
information totally useless.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 15:36:52 PDT
From: cooper@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (Mitch Cooper)
Subject: Asante Ethernet cards for Mac SE, SE/30, II's

	I read of a request for information on Asante Ethernet Mac cards (
kaminski@outlaw ) and a response from Bob Stewart (stewart@xyplex) dated
September 19, 1990.
	Installation is easy, software is adequate but falls short of giving
access to anything other than AFP networks. If you want to go TCP/IP
networks ( vax's and sun's ). You must obtain MacTCP from APDA for $100.
	Other cards for Mac SE, SE/30, II's ( watch out for IIci's ) are
Novell's - EtherPort SE, EtherPort SE/30, EtherPort II.
3Com's - EtherLink/NB and EtherLink/SE.
Interlan - MacConnect NIA310.
Cabletron - DNI cards.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Sep 90 22:53:41 PDT
From: hplabs!fredc%pro-humanist.cts.com@labrea.stanford.edu (Fred Condo, sysop)
Subject: Creation date of a hard drive volume

I have a CMS 140-meg drive of 1986 vintage. Its creation date is always in
1904, even when I reformat it. Does anyone know of a utility or a procedure to
correct the creation date on a disk volume?

  Fred Condo.  Pro-Humanist BBS: 818/339-4704         300/1200/2400 bps
  Internet: fredc@pro-humanist.cts.com          BitNet: condof@clargrad
  UUCP: crash!pro-humanist!fredc ARPA: crash!pro-humanist!frec@nosc.mil
  matter: PO Box 2843, Covina, CA 91722          America Online: FredJC

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Sep 90 19:17 EDT
From: Matt <SMH9666%OBERLIN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Error trapping in Turbo Pascal.

I am trying to use Macsbug (Vers. 5.4, if that helps) to debug Pascal
programs run under Turbo.  It works fine if I compile them to disk, and
then run them, but if a program crashes while running under Turbo, the
built in error trapping takes over and it's harder for me to figure out
what went wrong.  I even tried setting the procptr in InitDialogs to a
procedure which invokes the debugger, but Turbo still got there before me.
Is there some way to turn this off, or must I sacrifice interactive (well,
somewhat interactive) environments to be able to use Macsbug?
                                        Matt Hall
                                        SMH9666@OBERLIN

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Sep 90 04:42 CST
From: Youhei Morita (Univ. of Tsukuba) <MORITA%FNAL.BITNET@uicvm.uic.edu>
Subject: How do I reverse B&W of the menu bar?

Howdy!

     Pardon me if this is one of the 'frequently asked questions', but...

I'm a novice Mac programmer that is just beginning to learn C.  I'm now
writing a small program which displays star atlas on a black window.
I find that the white menu bar and the window handle bar very disturbing
while stars are shown in tiny white dots.  (Does anyone remember a good
old shareware "Orion"? :-)  Then I came to think of the game "Shufflepuck".
This game reverses the black and white of the menu bar while you are playing.
My question is, how do I reverse the B&W of the menu bar?  Can I do the same
for the window handle?  I'm using THINK C 4.0.  Thanks in advance...

# BTW, does anyone have a public domain, machine readable star catalog?
# Any catalog of up to magnitude 6 would be fine for me.

$!+++
 Youhei Morita    ( C D F )        High Energy Physics Lab, Univ. of Tsukuba
 HEPnet: UTKBP::MORITA                          Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 305, JAPAN
 Bitnet: MORITA@JPNKEKVX (or MORITA@FNAL)                Phone: 0298-53-4270
 JUNET:  morita%utkbp.decnet@kekvax.kek.ac.jp            FAX:   0298-52-5184
$!---

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Sep 90 22:02:55 CDT
From: janus@ux.acs.umn.edu
Subject: how to contact foreign HyperCard distributors

I am interested in finding out about stacks that have been
developed abroad, specifically in Scandinavia.
Of most interest would be language-oriented ones (human languages,
not computer ones!)

Any ideas? Addresses?  Tusen takk.

Louis Janus
Scandinavian Dept
U of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Sep 90 10:39:15 -0900
From: "AB J KUENZLI"  <FTAJK%ALASKA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #159

    Probably some font id number conflict. Easiest thing I know is to use
Apfont (a shareware init). It will allow you to have a default font set for
all programs. Should be in the archives somewhere!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Oct 90 13:45:48 GMT
From: Bruno <RESSA%IBACSATA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Inverted screen

Does anyone know if it is possible to invert the normal B/W screen
(or just a window) on a Mac SE ?
Someone told me that exists an INIT to do it, but I don't know the name.
I'd like to use it while wordprocessing (MS Word or Mac Write ^)
or drawing (Superpaint ^).
Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 10:49:01 EDT
From: Bob Stewart <stewart@xyplex.com>
Subject: Is there an X server for Mac OS?

White Pine Software sells one called eXodus.  Apple has MacX.  I have MacX.
It works.

	Bob

-----------
Bob Stewart (rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com)
Xyplex, Boxborough, Massachusetts
(508) 264-9900

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Sep 90 13:56:46 EDT
From: Loki Jorgenson Rm421 <loki@physics.mcgill.ca>
Subject: Latest OzTeX v1.3 (?)

	Can anyone elaborate on rumours that the latest version (1.3?)
of Mac-based TeX will soon be available?  Where it can be had?  When?
If it is only a wild rumour?

Regards,
			      __        __
			     / /        \ \
Loki Jorgenson		    / /\/\/\/\/\/\ \  node:  loki@physics.mcgill.ca
Physics, McGill University < <            > > fax:   (514) 398-3733
Montreal Quebec CANADA	    \ \/\/\/\/\/\/ /  phone: (514) 398-6531
			     \_\        /_/
                 __                                   __
		<_<  Lurking with the intent to skulk >_>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Oct 90 19:07 U
From: <JAMESLOW%ITIVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: McDraw II problems..

Hi,
        I had a problem with MacDraw II printing to the QMS colour printer
model 20.  The colour did not turn out right for any "irregular" shapes,
ie. those that are drawn with the polygon tool.  All of them turned out
black regardless of what colour I painted them.

        I then saved the drawing as PICT files and loaded up to Powerpoint
and it printed correctly.  So, I wonder is this a bug in MacDraw II version
1.1?  If it isn't, where have I gone wrong?  Has anyone encountered this
problem and rectified it?  It is rather boring porting my drawings to
Powerpoint just to print.

        Also, I noted from the digest that there are a few references to
Apple ][ in the digest.  Forgive my ignorance and confusion, are they
refering to those machines I used in 1981? I was using Apple ][ and Apple
][+ in my school lab then. (Immediately after those days, the IBM PCs
invaded the market here and I was forced to use them until Mac came) If
there are, are there still support for such machines (I had one sitting
at home and I dont know what to do with it).

        Thanks in advance for any information.

James Low
Information Technology Institute
National Computer Board
Singapore

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Oct 90 13:48:23 GMT
From: Bruno <RESSA%IBACSATA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Molecular Biology Analysis Software

I'm looking for programs (PD, SW or FW) on molecular biology analysis
(restriction mapping, sequence analysis, comparisons) and/or
demo-version of commercial ones. Does anyone know where I can find
them? (My system is a MacSE with HD40, FDHD, 2Mram).
Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Sep 90 18:49:59 CET
From: "Guenther Sawitzki, StatLab Heidelberg" <J40%DHDURZ1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: NetWork processor and distributed computing on the mac

There have been some questions about the NetWork processor on the nets
lately.
Yes. The NetWork processor allows distributed computing on the Mac
     using AppleTalk (any brand).
Yes. It allows interprocess communication under MacOs 6.x as well as
     under MacOs 7.x
Yes. It is available. Version 0.9b2 is on Apple developer's CD IV.
     The recent version is 1.0b1, which is available via anonymous
     ftp from math.uni-heidelberg.de <129.206.103.100>.
     Be aware that the full material is 1.5 MB, or 800 as .sit file,
     and make sure to use binary ftp.
No.  There is are no C interfaces available at present.
YesNo. It runs under The A/UX Mac shell, but not idle machines are not
     identified as potential compute servers under A/UX
 G. Sawitzki <J40@DHDURZ1.Bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Oct 90 10:03:59 EDT
From: "Joel B. Levin" <levin@bbn.com>
Subject: New virus: information for SAM 2 users

Forwarded for Paul Cozza, author of SAM.

	/JBL

***********************

For SAM 2.0 Users:

A new virus has been discovered in France. It is a strain of the ANTI virus,
and was named ANTI-ANGE by its discoverer. It is very similar to ANTI. It
attacks only applications, and generally exhibits the same behaviour as ANTI.
It has certain bugs (which the previous ANTI does not have) which can cause
applications to crash once infected.

If you are using SAM 2.0 and have configured SAM Intercept in the Standard,
Advanced, or Custom levels, then SAM will alert you when ANTI-ANGE attempts to
change an application's code. Denying this attempt keeps ANTI from spreading.

Using Virus Clinic you may also add a new virus definition to identify this
virus by name. The fields for the virus definition are:

   Virus Name: ANTI
Resource Type: CODE
  Resource ID: 1
Resource Size: Any
Search String: 000A317CFFFF000CA033303C0997A146     (hexadecimal)
Search Offset: Any   (or, for later versions of SAM, -886 will also work)

Paul Cozza
SAM Author

***********************

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 15:16:23 CEN
From: Geoffrey Parsons <SGPARSON%WKYUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Norton Utilities

Hail NetRunners,
  Norton seems to have some very nice features, but all the bugs are not
worked out yet. I have tried to restore a file I deleted right before
shutdown. I came back later and tried to restore the file and Norton
recovered the file, but the program that created it wouldn't load the
file! Quite nice. MacWeek reviewed the product and reported Norton
will over recover files. Also, DirectoryAssistance and Boomorang will
not co-exist. Boomorang just goes poof (not there.) Speed disk might
be fast but DiskExpress is much more reliable. If DE crasses you lost
one file, speed disk can trash the whole drive.

Geoffrey Parsons
WKU

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Sep 90 20:56:26 EDT
From: dmg@lid.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: Problems printing...

My Mac has suddenly developed problems trying to print.  When I instruct
an application to print, the document is queued up to Print Monitor with
no problems, but Print Monitor will quit unexpectedly soon after the
first "Looking for Laserwriter" message appears, and the Mac hangs soon
thereafter.

I have tried:

  Replacing the System Software (v6.0.5)
  Replacing the Laserwriter driver (v6.0.1)
  Reverting to System Software 6.0.4
  Printing in Finder
  Turning off all the INITs

to no avail (the latter two done in combination with the former three).

I can successfully print from other Macs to the Laserwriter in question
with a given document, furthermore, if I boot my Mac from one of the
Startup floppies I have around, I can print that document from that
floppy on my Mac.  I do not believe this is a hardware problem, but I
can't think of any piece of software involved in printing that I have
not tried replacing.  Any clues folks?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Sep 90 18:52:40 -0400
From: bda@uengr.calvin.edu (Bruce Abernethy)
Subject: Quest for BBS Host Software

    During the summer of 1991 I want to set up a BBS for Macintosh
users and educators in my area.  I have been trying to get information
on BBS host systems for a while now and am quite confused.   Is there
a STANDARD Macintosh host system or are they as varied as
communication and word processing packages?  Are there any systems
that would support two or more lines?  Are there any that use e-mail
packages that would be compatible with UNIX, Internet, or Bitnet
standards?  Are there lists of such BBSs that have been established
that I could cooperate and share data with?  About how much will this
venture cost me?
    Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Please respond directly to me and I will compile common and helpful
replies for the net.

Bruce Abernethy
Calvin College, Computer Center Hotline
Grand Rapids, MI 49546 (616) 957-8555
<bda@uengr.calvin.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Sep 1990 0:34:06 EDT
From: JQG9462@acfcluster.nyu.edu
Subject: SCSI hard disk problem

Hi,

  My friend has an Apple Hard Disk 20SC connected to a Mac Plus. But the hard
disk never worked. It seems to me that the cables are connected correct. When
the disk is turned on, the fan does work. But the light of the disk never
blinks, even when the Mac Plus is turned on. I assume that an unintialized
disk will not respond to the computer, thus the light won't blink. (Which I
doubt.) When I tried to initialize the hard disk using the hard disk setup
utility, the program told me it was trying to searching for an SCSI disk. But
it can never find it, so the machine is busy forever. I tried to reset the
hard disk priority, but that didn't work.
kx

    Is the SCSI cable very special? I found that the resistance between several
pins are several hundred ohms, which is neither perfectly connected (0 ohm) or
disconnected (several hundred kilo ohms). I don't know much about it. If you

have similar experience, I'd like to have your advice.

  Thanks a lot.

Jun
jguo@csd5.nyu.edu
jqg9462@acf6.nyu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 90 14:30:59 EST
From: Brian Switzer <UOG01002%VM.UoGuelph.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: SND specs

Could anyone tell me where I might get my hands on the specs for
Macintosh sound file format?  It doesn't matter if it's a text file
or a book or whatever...  I just need to be able to decode the data
for a program I want to write.

+------------------------------------------+-----------------------------+
| You can't have everything; where would   |        Brian Switzer        |
| you put it?  --  Stephen Wright          |   UOG01002@VM.UOGUELPH.CA   |
+------------------------------------------+------------------>=- (munch)

------------------------------

Date: 28 Sep 90 14:03:00 +1700
From: VANVLECK_TOM#PRUNE@tandem.com
Subject: Sports scheduling software?

I am looking for software to assign referees to soccer games.
The problem has (at least) three levels:
(1) Laying out the report, manually assiging refs, & printing pretty.
(2) Checking for rule violations (eg can't be in 2 places at once).
(3) Doing the assignment automatically or semi-.
I do level 1 now with slow EXCEL macros.
Before I spend more time hacking, has somebody already done it?
Tom Van Vleck     <vanvleck_tom@tandem.com>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 Sep 90 19:27 MDT
From: Bernie <BSWieser%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: TOPS & 512 woes.

Greetings netpeople, the lab I keep up is under increasing use and I am forced
to find means to provide ample workstations.  We run a TOPS network, and have
a 512e and 512 which are not being used.  I would like to connect them
to the network (hopefully to run Word), but the last system I found
to run on a 512 was 3, and pared down I couldn't get TOPS to run because
of insufficient memory errors.  Has anyone successfully connected a 512
to a TOPS network?  If so I'd love to hear from you!  Thanks.
Bernie Wieser, Psychology Dept., U of C

End of Info-Mac Digest