Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/02/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Mon,  1 Oct 90       Volume 8 : Issue 165

Today's Topics:

      [*] Application Replacer 1.2
      [*] Bat animated cursor
      [*] CAfterDark for THINK C 4.0
      [*] Color Icons in ICL8 format
      [*] Flash-It Screen-Capture CDEV/INIT v.1.3
      [*] Gauntlet Editor 1.1
      [*] Gunshy b+w icons
      [*] IIfx Serial Switch
      [*] LaserFix 2.0 enclosed
      [*] Mirage IIIe fighter drawing
      [*] More Animated Cursors
      [*] New animated cursors
      [*] practical-xfcns-092.hqx
      [*] remember 2.0
      [*] Save A Tree 1.3
      [*] Shalom.hqx: a Hebrew laser font
      [*] Shutdown screen inverter
      [*} Alpha 2.0
      BinHex 4.0 or BinHqx DA
      Imagewriter II paper feed problem

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 21:26 +0200
From: "Povl H. Pedersen" <ECO8941@ecostat.aau.dk>
Subject: [*] Application Replacer 1.2

I am sending you Application Replacer version 1.2
It is not free but $15 shareware.

This is the first distributed release of a small application that
will allow you to select substitutes for missing applications.

This will allow you to double-click MacWrite documents from the finder,
and then have them read into your favourite wordprocessor. But I also
use it to get MacPaint and MacDraw documents into SuperPaint, and to
read files from the MPW editor into THINK C.

The program is very user-friendly. Just locate a document from the
missing application (or enter the creator if known), and select a
replacement. A manual in MacWrite format is also enclosed.

| Povl H. Pedersen      |  InterNet address: ECO8941@ecostat.aau.dk    |
| Student               |----------------------------------------------|
| Dept. of Economics    | Mac Programmer / Registered Developer        |
| Aarhus Universitet    | Own Hardware: Mac SE, 4MB + 80MB Seagate HD  |
| DENMARK               | Interests: Macintosh, C,  boardgames         |
[ Why I don't keep things in the right order ?    I understand Chaos ! ]

[Archived as /info-mac/util/application-replacer-12.hqx; 36K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Aug 90 18:10:15 PDT
From: bsk@sun-valley.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] Bat animated cursor

This is another one of those cursor files.  Those who have their
macs massively into Batman should enjoy this little bat-logo spinning
like in the old series.

Brian Keller
b.bsk@macbeth.stanford.edu
bsk@sun-valley.stanford.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/animated-cursor-bat.hqx; 3K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 90 23:17:16 -0500
From: Jeff Francis <jfrancis@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: [*] CAfterDark for THINK C 4.0

CAfterDark for THINK C 4.0

Introduction
------------
CAfterDark is a base class that allows you to write graphics modules
for Berkeley Systems' After Dark in terms of an object based
abstraction.  The base class CAfterDark provides the default behavior
for a graphics module by simply blanking the screen.  Subclasses can
then add or change this basic behaviour.

Notice
------
This software has been placed in the public domain.  Use it at your
own risk!  The author takes no responsibility for loss or damage
resulting from the use of this code.

Files
-----
GlueCode.[ch] - Glues the regular "main" interface to our class
based interface.  You will need to change GlueCode.h so that it
creates an instance of your own subclass.  See GlueCode.h for
more information.

CAfterDark.[ch] - The base class for all graphics modules

CParticle.[ch] - An example subclass

CParticle.9 - THINK C 4.0.2 project file

CParticle.9.rsrc - Resources for the CParticle examples

GraphicsModule_Types.h - NOT PROVIDED but needed.  This files is included
on your After Dark distribution disk.

Contact Me At
-------------
Jeff Francis
CS Student, University of Iowa
jfrancis@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
(319) 354-0765

[Archived as /info-mac/source/c/think-c-cafterdark.hqx; 15K]

------------------------------

Date: 1  Sep 90  2:35 +0200
From: Michael Rys <mrys@ifi.ethz.ch>
Subject: [*] Color Icons in ICL8 format

The following StuffIt archive contains several 100 color icons mostly
in 3D look, which I collected and designed over the last couple of weeks.

Read the ReadMe file and enjoy.../Michael
| Michael Rys, V. Conzett Str. 34; CH-8004 Zuerich; Switzerland |

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/color-icons-part1.hqx; 190K
             /info-mac/misc/color-icons-part2.hqx; 130K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 1990 16:37 PST
From: "TOGE, Nobukazu" <TOGE%SLACVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] Flash-It Screen-Capture CDEV/INIT v.1.3

Dear Moderator - I would like to submit the attached file for possible
        inclusion to your archive library.

This is the latest version V.1.3 of Flash-It ScreenCapture CDEV/INIT
(previous version was V.1.2B2).  It defines three HotKeys each of
which performs one of the following -
   (1) Screen capture to Clipboard, whether menus are drawn in color.
   (2) Save Clipboard image to a PICT file.
   (3) Send Clipboard image to a printer.
HotKeys and their behaviors are programmable from the Control Panel.
New features:  HotKeys can include PF-keys on Apple Extended
Keyboard; Can capture cursor/pointer; Supports multiple monitor cases;
Can select file creator when save CLipboard image to a PICT file;
MUCH more robust protection in memory shortage conditions.
WORD 4.0 documentation is included.

Flash-It V.1.3 is a share ware, U.S. $15.
                                      Nobu Toge
                                      Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
      [  ===> But my employer has nothing to do with this software.  ]

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/flash-it-13.hqx; 69K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 90 11:13:00 EDT
From: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock)
Subject: [*] Gauntlet Editor 1.1

Due to an oversight on my part, Gauntlet Editor 1.0 did not allow
for editing of the second player in a two-player game.  Since I've
had a few requests for this feature, here it is.

For those who had requested this feature, sorry for the long delay.

Changes to 1.1 from 1.0:

o Ability to edit both players in a two-player game.
o Color BNDL family for System 7.0.
o New US Mail address in release notes.

Enjoy.

--
Ken Hancock                   | This account needs a new home in MA...
Isle Systems                  | Can you provide a link for it?

[Archived as /info-mac/game/gauntlet-editor-11.hqx; 18K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 90 22:46:40 -0500
From: raven@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Tim Poe)
Subject: [*] Gunshy b+w icons

Included herein is a set of icons based upon the Mah-Jongg tiles (such as
the cicns are) for monochrome screen Macintoshes.  These are intended for the
GunShy game for the Macintosh computer.

Also included is a flat black background which I found easier to use in
conjunction with light-colored tiles.

Feel free to post these for downloading by any intrepid hackers who might
want to have them...

When prompted for a password for this archive simply press enter and go on

[Archived as /info-mac/game/gunshy-bw-icons.hqx; 8K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 90 11:08:23 EDT
From: bkirsch@nadc.nadc.navy.mil (B. Kirsch)
Subject: [*] IIfx Serial Switch

I recently requested a copy of the IIfx Serial Switch CDEV.
Thanks to those that sent me a copy.  Many others also
requested a copy so I am posting it to the net.

This CDEV puts the Mac IIfx serial port into a "Compatible" or
"Faster" mode.  Some applications that use the printer or
modem ports do not operate properly unless the serial ports are set
to "Compatible".

           Barry Kirsch
ARPANET:   bkirsch@nadc.arpa

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/iifx-serial-switch.hqx; 4K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 90 20:14 CDT
From: hammen@ddsw1.mcs.com (Robert Hammen)
Subject: [*] LaserFix 2.0 enclosed

Here's the updated, 2.0 version of LaserFix, an INIT which modifies
the LaserWriter driver to let you specify where to place and what
to name a print-to-disk PostScript file.

I'm not the author, so don't send any comments to me. I'm just
passing it along due to many requests from comp.sys.mac.system
readers...

/ Robert Hammen | Macintosh enthusiast & publishing guru, looking for a job /
/ hammen@ddsw1.mcs.com | 70701.2104@compuserve.com | GEnie: R.HAMMEN        /

[Archived as /info-mac/init/laser-fix-20.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Sep 90 19:24:51 EDT
From: abboud%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Hisham)
Subject: [*] Mirage IIIe fighter drawing

Here are 2 MacPaint files, front and side drawings of the French
Mirage III fighter plane.  These are 1984 vintage.  Sorry it took
sooooo long to submit them!

					Hisham.

Hisham A. Abboud
Post Office Box 29375
Washington, D.C. 20017

Bitnet:    ABBOUD@CUA                           |
Internet:  ABBOUD%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU    |

[Archived as /info-mac/art/mirage-iii.hqx; 23K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 90 18:11:48 EST
From: RJP1@ns.cc.lehigh.edu     (Robert J. Platt)
Subject: [*] More Animated Cursors

Animated Cursors by Rob Platt
for use with CursorAnimator by Wilhelm M. Plotz.

Contains:

Tardis    - From Doctor Who. Materializes and de-materializes.
Grey Scale - 16 shades of grey. More for creating your own.
Snails    - They crawl.
Shash - Static/noise cursor
Better Beach Ball - Similar to Apple's, but smoother.
Gears - Large gear meshing with small gear.

Postcardware. Smile and send me a card or E-mail if you like.

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/animated-cursor-3.hqx; 13K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Aug 90 12:27:18 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] New animated cursors

Here are some new animated cursors for you to enjoy and use with Wilhelm
Plotz' Cursor Animator.  There is a Bat, a Skill, two Star Trek items, a
Gas Planet and a new Yin Yang III.

Michael Everson

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/animated-cursors-4.hqx; 9K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Aug 90 22:55:08 EDT
From: ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt)
Subject: [*] practical-xfcns-092.hqx

Practical XFCNs, Version 0.9, Release 2, 8/27/90 9:15

A set of free external functions for HyperCard. The XFCNs are intended to
provide fast access to several fundamental data structures and algorithms.
Each of the programs is distributed with complete source code in C and a
detailed manual. The manuals provide descriptions of every feature, along
with illustrations and numerous examples. A demonstration stack is also
included, with sample scripts showing how the programs can be used. The
manuals are being distributed in Microsoft Word 3.0 and MacWrite formats
(though the Microsoft format is preferred).

The programs are:

* ArrayList: Implements lists and arrays. Features include fast sorting,
binary and sequential search, insertion, deletion, set operations, stack
operations, and several sorting rules (ignorecase, numeric, international,
etc).

* BinaryTree: Implements binary trees. Features include key and datum
fields for each node in the tree, several tree traversal methods (in-order,
level-order, etc) several key comparison rules (ignorecase, numeric,
international, etc), and functions for accessing nodes in a tree.

* Research: A regular expression searcher. Features include UN*X like
regular expressions, Boyer-Moore-Gosper algorithm for fast fixed pattern
matches, flexible output format facilitating further processing by
HyperTalk scripts, and the ability to search any number of HyperCard
containers of any type and on any number of cards. Research is much more
versatile than HyperCard's brain-dead Find command.

* ErrorString and ErrorName: Used for reporting errors from the other XFCNs.
By modifying a resource, ErrorString and ErrorName could be adapted for any
other program.

All comments, inquiries, requests, etc. are welcomed and should be sent to
the following address. I would appreciate receiving a postcard from your
home town, just so I can see how far this program goes.

Ari Halberstadt
11B Faxon St., Apt. 1
Newton, MA 02158
U.S.A
Tel. (617)332-0290
ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/xfcn/practical-xfcns-092-part1.hqx; 260K
             /info-mac/xfcn/practical-xfcns-092-part2.hqx; 260K
             /info-mac/xfcn/practical-xfcns-092-part3.hqx; 260K
             /info-mac/xfcn/practical-xfcns-092-part4.hqx; 260K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 Sep 90 15:04:54 CDT
From: C277839%UMCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] remember 2.0

The enclosed file is a new release of Remember? from Dave Warker. It is
much improved from the version 1.3 now in the archives. It has multiple
event types, each can play it own sound at startup or alert time.
I have no connection with Dave Warker other than being a satisfied
user of Remember? 2.0.
Ian Sights c277839@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU

[Archived as /info-mac/init/remember-20.hqx; 238K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 90 08:41:46 CDT
From: Mike Engber <engber@gumball.ils.nwu.edu>
Subject: [*] Save A Tree 1.3

 Save A Tree is a text file printing utility designed to conserve
 paper by printing on 1 page what would normally use 2 or 4 pages.

 This version provides a few bug fixes & minor enhancements all
 described in the ReadMe file.

 -ME

[Archived as /info-mac/util/save-a-tree-13.hqx; 39K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 90 00:30:02 EDT
From: brecher@husc9.harvard.edu (Jonathan Brecher)
Subject: [*] Shalom.hqx: a Hebrew laser font

This is Shalom, a laser font of the Hebrew alphabet.  It is actually three
fonts in one, for it has old-fashioned, script, and stick characters.  It also
has a complete set of vowels that go under the letters where they belong.

[Archived as /info-mac/font/shalom.hqx; 43K]

------------------------------

Date: 21 Aug 90 15:29:35 EDT (Tue)
From: kovner@marvin.cooper.edu (Scott_Kovner-)
Subject: [*] Shutdown screen inverter

This INIT will invert the shutdown message screen every second.
It is effectively a screen saver for this final screen, where most
screen dimmers no longer work.

Written by Scott Kovner, Peppermint Park Software.
kovner@cooper.cooper.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/init/invert-shutdown.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 15:05:45 CDT
From: Pete Keleher <pete@rice.edu>
Subject: [*} Alpha 2.0

This is version 2.0 of the ALPHA programming editor.

Version 1.02 had the following description:

FEATURES:
        - mapping of any function (over 100 available) to any key
        - unlimited undo/redo
        - keyboard and named macros
        - unlimited named markers and buffers
        - window tiling
        - online help
        - and Many, Many, More...

Version 2.0 Changes:
	- one or two bug fixes
	- increased integration and support of both the mac
	  interface and emacs functionality
	- much more functionality in macros, error-checking
	- external user-provided commands
	- user-definable menu
	- word wrap
	- support for foreign keyboards
	- saving of backups to a different directory
	- and all of the nice touches that I didn't have time
	  to provide (or think of) in the first version

ALPHA is shareware and has a fee of $20.

Pete Keleher                                    pete@rice.edu
---

[Archived as /info-mac/app/alpha-20.hqx; 216K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  1 Oct 90 15:08 PDT
From: Christopher Hobbs <HOBBSC%CWU.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: BinHex 4.0 or BinHqx DA

Awhile back there was a program posted called BinHqx 1.0 DA.
It was supposed to allow segmenting of BinHex files. Following
there were some posts regarding the fact that it didn't work from
a few people. Well I am one that it also did not work for but I did not
post.
        My question is: did anybody find anything out about this program
and why it might bomb on my mac SE?

        Or, alternatively, does anybody know where I can find a copy of
BinHex 4.0? I have 5.0 but it doesn't allow segmenting and seems to error
out on files that have been segmented.

Many thanks!
Christopher Hobbs
Computer Services
Central Washington University
Ellensburg WA
HOBBSC@CWU         (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Oct 90 14:10:30 PST
From: "Donald R. Proctor" <SPGDRP@uccvma.ucop.edu>
Subject: Imagewriter II paper feed problem

Does anyone still use Imagewriters?

Mine likes to vertically compress the first line of text on each page of a
document.  I usually use pinfeed paper fed through the tractor sprockets,
and the paper does not seem hanging up on anything.

The printer has done this since it was new.  Any suggestions?

Don Proctor <spgdrp@uccvma.ucop.edu>

End of Info-Mac Digest