Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/04/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed,  3 Oct 90       Volume 8 : Issue 166

Today's Topics:

      [*] Disinfectant 2.2
      ANIMATED DA
      CD ROM AND THE FX SUMMARY
      GNU C & C++
      Hard Disk Security
      info-mac programs
      Interrupts and timers
      LaserFix 2.0 Bug?
      Mac <--> Sun File Transfers
      Molecular biological software
      Multifinder/DA Problem Solved
      New animated cursors
      Printer Problem Resolved!
      Printer Questions
      Problems printing...
      Reply: An Object Pascal question.
      SCSI Apple Drive ID
      Silicon Graphics Iris workstations
      Software for Repertory Grid analysis
      Using WriteNow 1.1 on AppleShare server
      VAX  Mass 11  -->  Macintosh format
      VIDEOSYNC
      Want:  A Calendar Application
      Zirkle-One & ATM 1.2

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 15:54:24 CDT
From: jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad)
Subject: [*] Disinfectant 2.2

Disinfectant 2.2
================

October 2, 1990

Disinfectant 2.2 is a new release of our free Macintosh anti-viral
utility.

Version 2.2 recognizes a new strain of the ANTI virus recently discovered
in France.

Version 2.2 includes new "Desktop Files" commands in the Scan and Disinfect

menus. These commands can be used to quickly check for and remove the WDEF
and CDEF viruses.

Version 2.2 corrects an error in the alert displayed by the INIT if an
infection is discovered in the System folder during startup.

Version 2.2 also corrects an error in the positioning of new windows on
classic 9 inch Mac screens.

Due to an error in the Rodime Cobra disk driver, Disinfectant does not work

properly on Cobra drives. According to Rodime tech support, this problem
can be fixed by reinstalling the driver with the disk cache code disabled.
See the "Special Features" section of the 2.2 online manual for details.

The Disinfectant sample source code has also been updated to version 2.2.

Disinfectant 2.2 is available now via anonymous FTP from site
acns.nwu.edu [129.105.49.1].  It will also be available soon on
sumex-aim.stanford.edu, rascal.ics.utexas.edu,
comp.binaries.mac, CompuServe, GEnie, Delphi, BIX, MacNet,
America Online, Calvacom, AppleLink, and other popular sources
of free and shareware software.

Macintosh users who do not have access to electronic sources of
free and shareware software may obtain a copy of Disinfectant by
sending a self-addressed stamped envelope and an 800K floppy
disk to the author at the address below. People outside the US
should send an international postal reply coupon instead of US
stamps (available from any post office). Please use sturdy
envelopes, preferably cardboard disk mailers.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
2129 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208

Bitnet: jln@nuacc
Internet: jln@acns.nwu.edu
CompuServe: 76666,573
AppleLink: A0173

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/disinfectant-22.hqx; 228K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Oct 90 20:40:30 SST
From: "S. Suthipuntha" <AKISUJAR%NUSVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ANIMATED DA

Hello from Singapore,

Would any kind soul Mac expert enlighten me how the animated DA such as Go-Go!
is created? I understand that it consists of 20 frames of digitized image. Is
it possible to use the color images to create similar DA and is it possible to
edit individual frame or change its speed.  The GO-GO! runs too fast on the
MAC IIcx.

Thanks in advance,

Suthi.
School of Architecture, National University of Singapore, AKISUJAR@NUSVM.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Oct 90 15:27:28 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: CD ROM AND THE FX SUMMARY

Here is a summary of why the CDROM will fail on the fx. Seems to affect
older models. I have '88 model.

To: ISSTTH%NUSVM.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: Apple CD-ROM drive and the IIfx
Cc: Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu

> I recently upgraded my IIx to an fx. But I now regretted the change.
> My previously fine Apple CDROM no longer reads properly. I tried the same
> CD ROMS on a drive connected with the good old II and they worked fine.
> The fx is too fast!!! Similar problems were encountered with the Superdrives.
> Anybody has the same experiences? Can anyone help me?
> IS APPLE LISTENING???!!!

There are several ways in which the high speed of the IIfx SCSI
interface can cause problems with CD-ROM drives and other external SCSI
peripherals.  Fortunately, it's usually possible to work around these
problems.

1) Termination.  The IIfx SCSI bus is so fast that its state-transitions
   can load down the terminator-power line and cause false transitions
   to occur on other lines.

   Apple has addressed this problem by releasing two special terminator
   units for the IIfx.  The IIfx external terminator should be installed
   at the _very_end_ of the external SCSI bus... it should be plugged
   into the second SCSI port on the last device on the bus, and any
   internal terminators in this or any other external SCSI device should
   be removed.  This external terminator has a decoupling capacitor
   installed on the TERMPWR line;  this will greatly reduce the risk of
   power-bounce and signal leakage between lines.

   Apple also released a terminator-filter module for use inside the
   IIfx.  If your IIfx has an internal hard disk, this module should be
   plugged into the disk's SCSI header, and the IIfx's internal SCSI
   ribbon cable should be plugged into the module.  If your IIfx has no
   internal hard disk, this filter and the Apple-supplied internal
   terminator should be connected together and plugged into the IIfx
   internal SCSI port.

2) Proper bus topology.  The SCSI bus should be wired up as a true
   bus... a single long piece of wire (interrupted by jacks and
   connectors).  There should be few (and preferably _no_) stubs...
   pieces of wire which run "off to the side" of the main bus.  Stubs
   cause reflections on the bus, and the IIfx is so fast that its SCSI
   chip is more prone to being bothered by reflections than many other
   SCSI devices.  The SCSI-1 specification does allow for the presence
   of stubs... but they should be no longer than .1 meter (4 inches),
   shouldn't be closer together than 12", and their number should be
   very limited.  My belief is that a IIfx is so fast that the presence
   of _any_ stubs on the bus can cause problems.

   Unfortunately, many consumer-type SCSI peripherals are poorly
   configured.  A SCSI box (e.g. a CD-ROM drive) usually has two SCSI
   ports.  The proper configuration is to have a ribbon cable which is
   attached to one port, loops over to the drive controller, and then
   loops back to the second SCSI port.  This ensures that the controller
   is right "on the bus".  However, many SCSI devices simply run a
   ribbon cable from the first SCSI port to the second, and then
   continue it over to the drive controller board (at which location the
   ribbon cable ends).  This turns the ribbon cable into a stub...
   frequently an unterminated stub.

   I understand that the Apple CD-ROM drive (some models, at least) is
   wired up the wrong way... with a stub to the drive, rather than with
   the more correct "horseshoe" cable loop.  This can sometimes cause an
   Apple CD-ROM drive to fail to work with a IIfx, where it would work
   properly with a slower machine such as a II.

   The right way to deal with this sort of problem is to rewire the
   drive... remove the old ribbon cable and install a new one in the
   "horseshoe" configuration.  This is quite feasible (I've done it to a
   non-Apple SCSI drive), but is not for the faint of heart... it's easy
   to install the "vampire" insulation-displacing connectors
   incorrectly, and accidentally short out the SCSI bus.

   Another way to deal with this problem (less "correctly" but rather
   more easily) is to try substituting a different external SCSI cable
   for the one you're using.  Switching to a longer cable (6', 8', or
   even 12') often reduces the severity of reflection problems... the
   extra cable length damps down the amplitude of the reflections
   somewhat, and also delays them a bit.  This may resolve your
   problems.

3) Bus-handshaking speed.  The IIfx SCSI chip responds very rapidly to
   phase changes on the bus, and there are a few drives which are
   somewhat baffled by the speed with which the IIfx responds.  I
   understand that the Toshiba XM-3201 CD-ROM mechanism is affected in
   this way... I guess I'll find out for myself, as I have one of these
   and my IIfx upgrade is due to arrive in a few weeks.

   As with reflection-triggered problems, it's sometimes possible to
   deal with handshaking-speed problems by using a longer SCSI cable.
   The guy I spoke to at Toshiba said that "an 8-foot cable usually does
   it, 10 feet is almost certain.  I'd suggest going for a 12-foot cable
   if possible".

So... I'd suggest that you check your termination (use the
Apple-supplied IIfx internal and external terminators, and remove any
vendor-supplied internal termination in your peripherals), and try
rearranging your SCSI bus... use a longer cable between your IIfx and
your first peripheral, and try installing a longer daisy-chain cable
between your two peripherals.

Re your SuperDrive problems... I can't help you too much there, I'm
afraid.

To: isstth@nusvm.bitnet
Subject: Re: CD ROM AND SUPERDRIVE AND THE DAMNED FX
Sender: sw <sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk>

> I recently upgraded my IIx to an fx. But I now regretted the change.
> My previously fine Apple CDROM no longer reads properly. I tried the same
> CD ROMS on a drive connected with the good old II and they worked fine.
> The fx is too fast!!! Similar problems were encountered with the Superdrives.
> Anybody has the same experiences? Can anyone help me?
> IS APPLE LISTENING???!!!

Hold on to your horses! I have an fx with a CD-rom drive, ext 100 Mb,
and a Syquest 45 Mb removable and they all work. Did you carefully
follow the instructions for SCSI termination? Because of its speed
the fx is very fussy about terminators etc, and you must get it
exactly right. Recheck everything: just because you got away with it
in the past doesn't mean the fx will like it. You should also read TN
273. If you are using the right terminator and have removed the
internal terminators from any other external SCSI device, try using a
longer cable (this slows the signal down just enough).

I have no problems with the floppies either except for applications
that try to do (very) low-level IO (eg Copy II Mac in bit-copy mode).

--
Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

uucp:   ...!ukc!nan!sw
other:  sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk
phone:  (+44) 203 419996
telex:  9312130355 (SW G)
snail:  178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK
z MAILER MCVAX 10/03/90
' Sak Wathanasin      isstth@nusvm.bitnet 10/02/90*CD ROM AND SUPERDRIVE AND THE

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Oct 90 00:11:38 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: GNU C & C++

I know I still own the net a summary of games for the mac, but I can't
help ask the next question while still compiling.
I have seen the power of gnu c compiler on the sun workstation. Apple
has ported it to AUX, I wonder why there isn't a port to the Mac OS as
either a standalone or in the MPW environment. Is it that difficult to
port? I want to know before attempting this feat myself.
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 11:34 EST
From: <TLEWIS%UTKVX2.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hard Disk Security

I'm fairly new to this list so my question might have come up before...
I am in charge of a microcomputer laboratory in which we are fixing to
place 10 Mac SE's with hard disk drives.   Up until this time, we have had
Mac Plus's and SE's with 2 floppy drives only.  What types of programs are
out there which will allow me to place security measures on the hard disk
drives?

Thanks!

Terry Lewis
University of Tennessee, Martin
TLEWIS@UTKVX  (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 09:56:56 GMT
From: klaus@diku.dk (Klaus Ole Kristiansen)
Subject: info-mac programs
When you send a program to info-mac, would you
PLEASE include a descrition of what the program does?
We see a lot of messages like this in c.s.m.digest:

"This is mngf1.4  1.3 had a few bugs, which has been
fixed, amd there are also some new features."

Such a message is not likely to get anyone who has
not heard of the program to try it!

Klaus Kristiansen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Oct 90 12:04:46 MET
From: "Vincenzo G. Capuano" <CAPUANO%ICNUCEVM.CNUCE.CNR.IT@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Interrupts and timers

Hi,
I want to write a procedure that needs to wake up 8000 times a second
every time it wake up it polls a certain hardware port. What I need to know
is: how to setup one of the (free ??) timers of the 6522 found in the
Mac II and where to put the pointer to the routine to make it run
every time a timer interrupt occurs.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Vincenzo.

=-=-=-=
Vincenzo G. Capuano                     E-mail: capuano@cnuce.cnr.it
Via Dante Alighieri, 9                          capuano@icnucevm.bitnet
57036 Porto Azzurro (LI)
Italy

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 09:56:31 MDT
From: pws@ngdc2.colorado.edu (Peter W. Sloss)
Subject: LaserFix 2.0 Bug?

I just got LaserFix 2.0 from the Sumex (info-mac) BBS, and find that the
option "Save PS file with LaserPrep" doesn't save a file -- it looks for
an online printer.  I am using LW 6.0.1 with system 6.0.5 on a IIx, but
I have to use cmd-K to get a file with LaserPrep saved.  Help???
-- Peter Sloss
National Geophysical Data Center
Boulder, Colorado
(pws@ngdc2.colorado.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 09:56:22 -0400
From: cohen@itd.nrl.navy.mil ( Neil B. Cohen)
Subject: Mac <--> Sun File Transfers

Hi,

I want to thank all those who responded to my question about sending
files between the Mac and a Sun Workstation. Several people pointed
me to the 'mcvert', 'maccompress', and 'unsit' programs in the
archive. The combination of mcvert and unsit allow me to move
files in groups from the Mac (in Stuffit archives) and unpack them
as editable text files on the Sun.

Thanks again to all who responded.

nbc

NAME:	Neil B. Cohen (Tracor Applied Sciences)
PHONE:	703-444-4610
DOMAIN:	nbc@excalibur.itd.nrl.navy.mil
* Murphy's Philosophy: Smile - tomorrow will be worse...	*
*															*
* O'Tooles Commentary: Murphy was an optimist!				*

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 12:59 +0100
From: "Rainer Fuchs (EMBL Data Library)" <Rainer.Fuchs%EMBL.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Molecular biological software

You may get free molecular biological software for the Mac from the EMBL
File Server. To get information and a listing of programs available, send
a mail message (no interactive message) to NETSERV@EMBL.BITNET and include
the lines
HELP SOFTWARE
HELP MAC_SOFTWARE
DIR MAC_SOFTWARE
All Mac files are compressed with StuffIt and binhexed.

As an alternative you may want to use ftp to access the IuBio archive at
iubio.bio.indiana.edu (username: anonymous).

Rainer Fuchs, Ph.D.
EMBL Data Library
fuchs@embl.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Oct 90 15:45:06 EDT
From: "Gregory E. Gilbert" <C0195%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Multifinder/DA Problem Solved

Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry.

Everyone was in COMPLETE agreement (Kind of amazing considering I got over
20 replies).  The solution was to copy the DA HANDLER from one of my
system disks into my System Folder.  As I understand the situation the
DA HANDLER is required to  access DAs when running under Multifinder.

Thanks again.  Regards,

                                                Greg.

Postal address: Gregory E. Gilbert
                Computer Services Division
                University of South Carolina
                Columbia, South Carolina   USA   29208
                (803) 777-6015

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 21:17:40 PDT
From: khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw)
Subject: New animated cursors

The animated cursors file in the info-mac archives
(info-mac/misc/animated-cursors-4.hqx) unBinHexes OK, but my copy of
SutffIt 1.5.1 complains about MEcursor.sit:

        Sorry, but that Stuffit archive is bad.
        Headers are not valid. Some archived
        files may be corrupted. Salvage what
        you can and move cautiously!

If I go ahead an unstuff, YinYang III won't extract:

        Umm... The CRC check for
        the header of YinYang
        III has failed. The file
        may be corrupt. Use
        caution!

--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 16:53:21 EDT
From: dmg@retina.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: Printer Problem Resolved!

My thanks to all those who responded to my plea for help regarding printing.

The solution was to replace my fonts.  Something within either the FOND, FONT
or NFNT resource (I'm guessing FOND) got corrupted over the past couple days
which caused my problem.

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  3 Oct 90 11:05:54 EDT
From: r.aminzade@lynx.northeastern.edu
Subject: Printer Questions

I was planning on buying Apple's new Personal Laserwriter IISC,
but budget considerations (moving, car repairs, etc.) are forcing
me to look at the HP DeskWriter or whatever it's called.  I hear
that the new model has an Appletalk connector, which is nice (I
didn't like the idea of being connected via a short, fat, and
expensive SCSI cable!).  What I'm wonderin is, are there any
print spoolers that work with the HP inkjet printer.  I've heard
it's slow.  My hope is that someone has discovered that Apple's
Print Monitor works with it (hey, it works with the SC...), but
maybe this is too much to hope.

On a separate but related issue, as soon as I get the printer I'm
going to transfer my paper-and-pen checkbook to a computerized one
(I'll probably write it with WingZ or Double Helix...).  Anybody know
a good source, or several sources, of single-sheet (i.e. laser-feedable)
checks?  It would be nice to have one with the check on part of the
page, and a hole-punched ledger page on the other.

-Russell Aminzade

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 11:18:44 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Problems printing...

>My Mac has suddenly developed problems trying to print.  When I instruct
>an application to print, the document is queued up to Print Monitor with
>no problems, but Print Monitor will quit unexpectedly soon after the
>first "Looking for Laserwriter" message appears, and the Mac hangs soon
>thereafter.

I've seen the same symptoms. What I did to correct it was to revert to using
LaserWriter 5.2. Unless you do color/grayscale printing, there's no
practical need for use of v6.0.1.

>I have tried:
[...]

tom coradeschi    <+>    tcora@pica.army.mil    <+>    tcora@dacth01.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 07:59 N
From: "Gary T. Czychi" <CZYCHI%CSGHSG5A.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Reply: An Object Pascal question.

> Date: Mon, 1 Oct 90 08:27 PDT
> From: DAVID JOHN BURROWES <YODER@oregon.uoregon.edu>
> Subject: An Object Pascal question.
>
> I want to declare two classes, where each contains a variable of
> the other's type.

Why don't you declare more variables in each object? Then you can access
each instance variable of each object everywhere you like:

TYPE
   aaa = Object
     var
      theaaaOne : aaa;
   END;

   bbb = Object
     var
      thebbbOne : bbb;
   END;

Your implementation would look like this:

procedure aaa.myMethod;

begin

DoSomethinWith bbb.thebbbOne;

DoSomethinWith theaaaOne;

end;

Hope this helps (and works!),

Gary

        Gary T. Czychi             University of St.Gallen, Switzerland

                czychi@csghsg52.BITNET               (preferred)
                czychi@bernina.ethz.ch.UUCP          (CZYCHI@ETHZ.uucp)

                        Tel.: --41 / 71 / 57 17 22

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 03:29 EDT
From: SELUCEY%VASSAR.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu
Subject: SCSI Apple Drive ID

Hello... I'm wondering if anyone might be able to suggest a way to alter the
SCSI ID number of an Apple Internal 20 meg drive.  It's factory set for 0,
I'm told, and can't be changed.
I'd like to know how to daisy-chain it to my other 20 meg internal. (I've
got the space to do this, as I've built my own Mac in an IBM Tower case w/
a 200 watt power supply.  The drive is a MINISCRIBE dated august 10, 1988.
(Model 8425SA HDA: 06, PCBA 03, Unique: 07)  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
PLEASE RESPOND TO SELUCEY@VASSAR.BITNET AS I'M NOT ON THE LIST.
THANKS
Sean Lucey
Vassar College

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 10:26:27 CDT
From: earas@csdfx8a.arlut.utexas.edu (Robert Stewart)
Subject: Silicon Graphics Iris workstations

A colleague in my lab has a demo model of a Silicon Graphics Iris
4D/220GTX to play with for a few weeks. He will likely buy the 210GTX. I
was wondering if anyone has any experience with both a Mac and an Iris,
and, hopefully, some advice or programs for getting each machine to
recognize graphics files created on the other. Depending on the number of
report for the archive. Please send responses directly to me at one of
the following addresses:

stewart@arlvs1.arlut.utexas.edu
stewart%arlvs1.arlut.utexas.edu@emx.utexas.edu
stewart%arlvs1.arlut.utexas.edu@cs.utexas.edu
earas@csdfx8a.arlut.utexas.edu

Robert Stewart
University of Texas at Austin

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 13:23 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Software for Repertory Grid analysis

Greetings,

I am looking for software that runs on either MSDOS or MacOS for doing
repertory grid analysis. Shareware/PD/FreeWare is preferred, but I would like
to know about ANY packages you might know about.

Thanks in Advance,

Peter Jorgensen
Microcomputer specialist
Colgate University - Hamilton, NY 13346
AppleLink - U0523
BITNET - PJORGENSEN@COLGATEU
tel - 315-824-1000 ext 742

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 15:59 CDT
From: Dan Lunderville <ACS_DANL%uwrf.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Summary:  Good third party books on Word and Excel

A while ago I sent in this query:

>I am interested in getting a good third party book about learning and using
>MicroSoft Word 4.0 for the Mac.  I am aware of 2 or 3 books, but I don't know
>how good they are.  If you have found one to be particularly good, please tell
>me about it.  Any reviews, comparisons, etc. that you have would also be very
>helpful.

>I would also be interested in similar information on books about MicroSoft
>Excel for the Mac.

I received 7 replies, and all but 1 spoke very highly about books from the
Cobb Group, published by MicroSoft Press.  For Word, almost everyone recommended
"Word 4 Companion", by the Cobb Group, $22.95.  For Excel, 2 books were
recommended, both by the Cobb Group, "Excel in Business", $24.95 and "Running
Micro-Soft Excel", $24.95.  All of the above books are available from MicroSoft
Press, (800) MSPRESS or (800) 677-7377.  One person recommended a book called
"Desktop Published with MicroSoft Word on the Macintosh", by Erickson and
Finzer, published by Sybex.

In addition to authoring these books, the Cobb Group also produces excellent
newsletters for Word and Excel, but the subscription price is steep - typically
$45-60 for the year.

Dan Lunderville                             Bitnet:     ACS_DANL@UWRF
Academic Computing Center                   AppleLink:  U0095
University of Wisconsin - River Falls       Telephone:  (715) 425-3583
River Falls, WI  54022

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 09:04 EDT
From: <PJORGENS%COLGATEU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Peter Jorgensen)
Subject: Using WriteNow 1.1 on AppleShare server

Greetings,

I can't seem to be able to get WriteNow 1.1 to run from our AppleShare server
for more than one user.

I can do this with other applications such as Word 4.0, ChemDraw, HyperCard,
etc.

I am using LabLaunch to monitor/control the number of users of each program.

The server is an SE/30 and the network consists of 16 Mac Pluses and SEs.

Does WriteNow 1.1 create temporary files that conflict with each other?

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 20:22:41 GMT
From: glennc@truebalt.cco.caltech.edu (Glenn C. Smith)
Subject: VAX  Mass 11  -->  Macintosh format
Hello!

My workplace has been using a VAX running VMS and an ancient
word processing system called "Mass 11".   We have a great many
documents that need to be transfered to macs, and we really need
a way to do it that retains the formatting.  What I really need,
I guess, is an apple file exchange document for Mass 11, or any
other method that would work.  Does anyone have such a file
exchange document?  Where would I look for one, or for a library
of them that might contain one?  If all else fails, where can I
get info on Macwrite format (so I can write my own translator).

Thanks in advance,
Glenn C. Smith
Glenn C. Smith                      |   It is a weak mind that can think
California Institute of Technology  |   of only one way to spell a word.
glennc@arrester.caltech.edu         | --- "Build high for happiness." ---

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Oct 90 17:14:18 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: VIDEOSYNC

I just read that APDA has released an utility for its video cards
which will force a sync of the display to 60hz. This is great for
taking video off the screen.
Please, can anyone post me a copy of the patch? I need one very badly
and cannot wait for the order to reach me (about 1 month).
The software is called VideoSync or something like that.

Please reply to me at ISSTTH@NUSVM.

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Oct 90 15:42:56 EDT
From: "Gregory E. Gilbert" <C0195%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Want:  A Calendar Application

Does anyone know of an application that could help me make a montly calendar?
(Share/Freeware is preferable.)  I am getting EXTREMELY tired of doing
my calendars with MacDraw.  I am sure some of you can relate.  Thanks much.

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 03:36 EDT
From: FRPULLEN%davidson.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Zirkle-One & ATM 1.2

I've been having trouble with ATM.  It seems to work fine with a lot of
Type-1 fonts, but won't load others properly.  My test case is Zirkle-One,
which comes in two faces:  "book" and bold.  Bold text works fine; there's
a slight pause while ATM loads in the font, and it prints nicely.  But
normal, "Plain" text prints as a bitmapped font, jag city!

I've tried lots of combinations, but if one works, why doesn't the other?
My system's a IIci with 5MB, ATM 1.2, a DeskWriter, and the usual glut
of system embellishments.

Thanks,
--Fred Pullen
cs63fcp@unccvax.uncc.edu  (best)