Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/19/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 18 Oct 90       Volume 8 : Issue 172

Today's Topics:

      [*] Battle of Midway Demo (strategic wargame)
      [*] FullSort XFCN for HyperCard
      Apple's New "Educational" Prices
      Apple File Exchange
      Color Games
      Command Line interfaces for the Mac...
      Help with docs for ClockAdjust CDEV
      HyperCard 2.0
      Hypercard 2.0?
      Hypercard 2.0 and Labels
      Hypercard and Sounds
      INFORMATION ABOUT MACS
      large monitors
      Laser Formatting w/o Printi
      Limiting LaserWriter to one copy
      Mac data-acq & physiology
      Need AppleShare mount sources
      neophyte question...
      Pacer/VAX/Macs/PC's
      PC postScript on a Mac
      Physiology Hardware/Softwar
      Quark XPress problems
      Security for a Mac Lab
      Writing a spreadsheet

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 3 Aug 90 14:35 GMT+2
From: "Povl H. Pedersen - Yet Another C-programmer" <ECO8941@ecostat.aau.dk>
Subject: [*] Battle of Midway Demo (strategic wargame)

This is a demo-version of the Battle of Midway strategic wargame
>From Wartime Simulations/SJP Enterprises.  This demo-version has
is limited by alowing only 20 movement turns and only 1 scenario
to be played. But it is still playable.

It is a typical 2 player board game implemented on the Macintosh
using hidden movement.   It simulates the attack on Pearl Harbor
during WW II, and includes both naval and air operations.

There are included some instructions in the game,  but it is not
mentioned that you have to click the thick horizontal bar in the
bottom of a sector to return to the main screen and enable menus
for the next move.

I have been mailing a chineese in USA, and he should have got a
copy mentioning this in the instructions. If this is correct,
then please contact me.

The game has been created by Steven J. Ponzo of Wartime simulations
at a request from me, but I have never (yet) bought any of his
products, I do not know him in person, and I do not get any money
out of this distribution.

Steven has given permission to widely distribute this program to
other networks, so you can do this if you want. I can only place
it in the sumex-archives, as I have only access to the InterNet.

| Povl H. Pedersen      |  InterNet address: ECO8941@ecostat.aau.dk    |
| Student               |----------------------------------------------|
| Dept. of Economics    | Mac Programmer / Registered Developer        |
| Aarhus Universitet    | Own Hardware: Mac SE, 4MB + 80MB Seagate HD  |
| DENMARK               | Interests: Macintosh, C,  boardgames         |
[ Why I don't keep things in the right order ?    I understand Chaos ! ]

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/battle-of-midway.hqx; 162K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Aug 90 16:51 MDT
From: <TAYLORJ%BYUVAX.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] FullSort XFCN for HyperCard

US FullSort 1.4

A very powerful sorting XFCN from Frederic Rinaldi.

Can sort on multiple keys with specified records and even do
coordinated sorting of multiple related fields.  Lots of
other nice features.

Jim Taylor
Microcomputer Support for Curriculum   |
Brigham Young University               |   Bitnet: taylorj@byuvax.bitnet
101 HRCB, Provo, UT  84602             |   Internet: taylorj@yvax.byu.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/card/xfcn/full-sort-14.hqx; 41K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 90 12:51:44 PDT
From: Jay_Handel@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Apple's New "Educational" Prices

Apple has unveiled its new models, and I'm doing a little comparison
shopping.  I've listed below Apple's new "educational prices" as
provided by the University of British Columia Bookstore, and confirmed
by an Apple Canada rep during a computer fair on campus.

I'd like to find out what the educational prices are at American
universities -- especially those in the Apple Consortium -- and at
other Canadian institutions if they differ from UBC's.  If one of you
knows where this information is available for anonymous ftp'ing, will
you please advise?  Or if you can provide prices for your own
institution, I'll summarize findings for Info-Mac Digest readers.

Apple Canada Educational Prices as of 1990 October 1    (Canadian $)

Macintosh Model                         UBC     Your U      Comment
---------------                        -----    ------      -------
Classic 1MB RAM Superdrive             1,299                  *
Classic 2MB RAM 40MB HD                1,839

SE/30 1MB RAM Superdrive               2,959
SE/30 1MB RAM 40MB HD                  3,309
SE/30 4MB RAM 80MB HD                  4,489

LC 2MB RAM Superdrive                  1,969
LC 2MB RAM 40MB HD                     2,459

IIsi 2MB RAM 40MB HD                   3,709
IIsi 5MB RAM 80MB HD                   4,489                 **

IIcx 1MB RAM 40MB SC                   4,334
IIcx 4MB RAM 80MB SC                   5,564

IIci 4MB RAM Superdrive                5,869
IIci 1MB RAM 40MB HD                   5,549
IIci 4MB RAM 80MB HD                   6,559

IIfx 4MB RAM Superdrive                8,999
IIfx 4MB RAM 80MB HD                   9,909
IIfx 4MB RAM 160MB HD                 11,019

Portable 1MB RAM Superdrive            4,819
Portable 1MB RAM 40MB HD               5,509

Apple Extended Keyboard II               269
Apple Keyboard                           159

ImageWriter II                           669

Personal LaserWriter SC                2,009
Personal LaserWriter NT                3,299

LaserWriter IINT                       4,529
LaserWriter IINTX                      6,529

Macintosh 12" Monochrome Display         299
Macintosh 12" RGB Display                589
Apple High Res 13" Color Monitor       1,109
Macintosh Two Page Monochrome Monitor  2,269
Macintosh Portrait Display             1,159

Macintosh Display Card 4.8               659
Macintosh Display Card 8.24              809
__________________

*  The advertised list price for this model is $1,349.  That means
the "educational discount" is 3.7%.  Furthermore this machine (and all
the other models with 1MB RAM) will need to be upgraded in order to
run System 7.0 and, apparently, HyperCard 2.0.

** This price does not include monitor or keyboard.  But for exactly
$10 more -- i.e., $4,499 -- UBC purchasers can get an entry level
NeXTstation with a 68040 25Mhz CPU, 105MB HD, 8MB RAM, 2.88MB floppy
drive, Ethernet card, all kinds of bundled software ... and an
1120x832 monochrome display and keyboard!

Jay Handel
Administrative, Adult and Higher Education
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC  V6T 1Z5

Internet:  jay_handel@mtsg.ubc.ca
Bitnet:    userjayh@ubcmtsg

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 90 10:33 CST
From: BPRODEN%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Apple File Exchange

I have a Mac at work, and a PC with a modem at home.  I tried to download some
Stuffit files from ZMAC on Compuserve (source code from MacUser's Power
Programming).  I transfered them to the Mac using Apple File Exchange, then
used ResEdit to change the file and creator types to SIT!.  When I tried to
unstuff the files, Stuffit told me they were damaged and to try to salvage
what I could.  Then it said there was an unexpected EOF and couldn't read
the SIT file.  Can someone help me get this to work?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 90 17:36:49 CEN
From: Geoffrey Parsons <SGPARSON%WKYUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Color Games

  There have been several messages in the past about color mac games
or lack there of. I have some recent tidbits to impart on the subject.

Might & Magic II Color
----------------------

   The color upgrade for the M&M2 is now available. The new version
sports totaly redrawn 8 bit graphics! Very nice. Runs under Multifinder
and 32bit quickdraw. Nice sound. The color version is an upgrade of the
b/w version. Yes, that's right you most first buy the b/w version and
then send in a coupon and 27.50 to recieve the color version.
   The b/w version has documentation trivia protection...
"What is the 2nd word in the last sentance on page 54?" Fun, Fun, Fun.
But there is a patch for v1.0.1 of b/w M&M2 that removes this
"Feature." If you have the b/w 1.0.0 the upgrade is free, just
send your disk a letter requesting the most recent version.
   With the color version you also get a hint book. Great, bonus
included in the upgrade. But this is not the case. The book
is only included as additional copy protection. The color version
requests a passwords from the clue book! I wanted to keep the clue
book sealed, but no I have to look up a code word evertime
I run the game. This is not very fair, it is quite easy to notice
some detail while looking up a code. One would think for the tune
of $65 that your could get a version that wasn't protected.
I spent much less then $65 for the color version of SimCity.
Also the clue book can be purchased at software stores, and of course
photo copied. If someone can get a copy of color version they can
also get a copy of the manual.

   Is the program worth $65?
      Yes, but the copy protection is not called for at that price.

   Maybe someone will create a patch for the color version?

Geoffrey Parsons
AOL:CyberMac

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 03:34:36 EDT
From: dmg@lid.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: Command Line interfaces for the Mac...

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Summarizing....

1 -- I wanted the DA for a friend who recently (grudgingly) obtained a Mac
     and misses his Unix machine.  The DA is a gift for his upcoming 50th
     birthday.

2 -- The DA in question is called Rasnix.  It is not available on the Info-
     Mac archives, but other places (notably the BCS CD-ROM) have it.  It is
     limited in what it can do, but it does still work.  Rasnix is freeware.

3 -- Another utility called CLIM may do this as well, but I have yet to find
     a copy of CLIM to verify what it does.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 90 11:39:12 EDT
From: Tom Coradeschi <tcora@pica.army.mil>
Subject: Help with docs for ClockAdjust CDEV

Does anyone out there use the ClockAdjust CDEV? As the end of daylight
savings approaches, I thought it would be useful to try it. From my favorite
archive site (sumex, of course), came the file clockadjust.sit. UnStuff into
ClockAdjust and ClockAdjust.doc. CDEV works fine. Documentation (MacWrite
file) is trash. MSWord (3.01 & 4) beeps - file error encountered - and skips
that part of the file. I went thru the whole file and got nothing more than
three of the illustrations out of it. Does anyone know who the author is, or
have a good copy of the file? I also tried simtel, rascal and a BBS I use,
and all have scrambled copies of the documentation!

tom coradeschi    <+>    tcora@pica.army.mil    <+>    tcora@dacth01.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 90 17:31:50 CEN
From: Geoffrey Parsons <SGPARSON%WKYUVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: HyperCard 2.0

> Has anyone seen HyperCard 2.0?

  I have a copy of HyperCard 2.0. Some dealers have it. But I don't know
if they are distrubuting it yet... It's also shipping with the new Macs.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 90 23:05:09 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>

On Thu, 11 Oct 90 12:55:46 EDT you said:
>Has anyone actually seen Hypercard 2.0?

Yes, I HAVE it, but haven't had time to fool with it yet (the "day job"
gets in the way :-)

>If so, how and where do you get it?

The disks (NO manuals) were shipped to user groups the first week of
October (by Apple).  I'm a dues paying member of two groups (both have
the five disks with Apple labels on them).

If rumors are true, manuals won't be  available until the middle of next
month (unless, perhaps you buy one of the new Macs; I understand
HyperCard 1.2.5 won't run under System 6.0.7 unless the sound is set to
zero).

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 90 19:37:35 MST
From: Bruce Long <ICBAL%ASUACAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hypercard 2.0 and Labels

  In the office where I work the main use of Hypercard 1.2x was for
printing labels.  Hypercard did a superb job of printing standard
33-to-a-sheet labels on the laserwriter (up to 6 lines), with the
default "label" Report setting. (Of course, "larger print area" must be
selected in the Page Setup dialog.)  But there were two minor
problems with label printing with Hypercard 1.2x:
1.  Due to a bug, only one copy could be printed at a time.  This
    meant that if you want many sheets of return address labels
    each sheet must be printed individually.
2.  There was no way to print just certain labels from a stack.
    It was all or nothing.
  As Hypercard 2.0 fixed these two problems I decided to try the
new version for printing labels.  However I immediately discovered
that there was no preset equivalent to the default from the old
Hypercard.  After struggling for half an hour to set up a report
template equivalent to the old default (6 lines of 33-to-a-sheet
labels, to print on standard label sheets), I gave up.
If it can be done, I sure can't figure out how.
If anyone out there has had success in creating such a template,
please e-mail me a copy of a stack containing the template.
  Meanwhile, it's back to Hypercard 1.2x for us.

Bruce Long
Department of Mathematics
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-1804
icbal@asuvm.inre.asu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 90 13:24:57 GMT (Postman Pat ver 3.1)
From: Drew <AL.Radtke%bradford.ac.uk@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hypercard and Sounds

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this.

I  found  the  excellent  Soundmover  package  could cope with effectively
change the sampling speed of my sound so I could  put  it  into  Hypercard
with  no  problem.   I'd recommend anyone who wants to do this to get this
package.

Drew Radtke
University of Bradford, UK

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 90 13:39:30 MEX
From: PATRICIA CASTILLO <LG158710%VMTECMEX.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: INFORMATION ABOUT MACS

HI!!!

  I really need your help. I need to Know about all mac's innovations, about
operative systems that its uses, new packages,mac's without
keyboard, some mac's II characteristics , artificial
intelligence in mac's like natural language or some general information,
and some general information about fourth generation languages.
  Thanks a lot for your great help!!
                                    Patricia Castillo
                                       LG158710

P.S. Sorry for my awful English, I hope you understand!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 90 07:53 CDT
From: "ERIC ENWALL, UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA" <ENWALL@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu>
Subject: large monitors

We have over several years used two different "large" Mac monitors.
We began with Radius full page monitors on two Mac Plus(es).  One
was DOA but quickly replaced and for two years they have been very
good monitors.  One is now dead and I will not buy more Radius mon-
itors because of the Radius refusal to service this one except via
the middle man where we bought it.
We also have three Mirror PixelView II monitors around, one on a
plus and two on SEs.  One failed early but was quickly replaced with
no hassle (our relationship with Mirror has been excellent) and all
have been very sharp and the monitors are much loved.  Unless you
are (or have access to someone ) very good at component handling I'd have
to say that the Mac Plus interface on both the Radius and Mirror
mitigate against using the Plus.  I recommend against it here when
asked.  The SE is a cinch to install and so far has been solid.
Taking them away from the secretaries who use them would be a dangerous
act.  Taking mine would be more dangerous yet.

Eric Enwall
University of Oklahoma
enwall@aardvark.uoknor.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 1990 21:17:34 PDT
From: nethery.parc@xerox.com
Subject: Laser Formatting w/o Printi

Date    10/17/90
Subject Laser Formatting w/o Printi
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac

Subject:Laser Formatting w/o Printing
You want users to be able to format for a LaserWriter but not be able to print
to a laserWriter.  Here's my suggestion.

Take the LaserWriter file from a System Folder and open it with ResEdit.  Go
to the DITL that has the print 'OK' button in it (DITL -8191 on my LW driver).
 Select and doubleclick on the OK button.  Change the Enable to Disable and
for grins you might want to change the text in the OK button from OK to Not OK
so that users will get the idea that something is a bit different.

Also, so that you don't get too confused with your mutant LaserWriter, change
it's name in the Finder from LaserWriter to something like Format LW and then
in the Get Info Window, Lock the file so that users don't change the name.
With the file locked, you will not be able to select a different LaserWriter
in the Chooser (assuming you have multiple) but since you cannot print anyway,
it won't matter.

Spread your Mutant LW driver to all the imagewriter Macs and they'll be able
to do everything except print.

Have fun

Kee Nethery
Institute for Research on Learning

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 90 19:47:09 CST
From: Greg Wimpey <GWIMPEY%TRINITY.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Limiting LaserWriter to one copy

Fred Condo <condof@clargrad.bitnet> recommends changing the LaserWriter file
with ResEdit to prevent users from printing more than one copy.  This may work
fine for your average ResEdit-ignorant users.  However, there are two ways to
defeat this:

1) Boot up with a floppy with an unaltered copy of the LaserWriter file.
   This is possible for anyone to do, unless you have somehow restricted the
   ability to boot up with floppies (e.g.--using AME to disallow mounting of
   the hard drive when booting from another disk).

2) Use ResEdit to change the file back.
   This is not as easy as #1, but it will work.  Of course, you could lock the
   file or make it invisible, but these methods are no real obstacle to the
   truly obnoxious user.  Of course, you could limit access to the file with
   a program like AME(I think).  This, however, just adds another adminis-
   trative hassle.

**Greg Wimpey <GWIMPEY@TRINITY.BITNET>
**Trinity University, San Antonio, TX

btw-I have never even seen a copy of AME(Access Managed Environment), much less
    used it.  I'm only recalling what I read in their brochure.  No endorsement
    is intended or implied.

DISCLAIMER:  What do I know, anyway?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 08:16:53 -0400
From: mvivino@helix.nih.gov (Mark Vivino)
Subject: Mac data-acq & physiology

>Several of us here at St. Mary's College are putting together a proposal to
>get some $$ to computerize our physiology courses.  Does anybody out there
>have experience using Mac's in a college undergraduate setting to study
>animal physiology?  We're looking for transducers (motion, blood pressure,
>O2 consumption, EEG, etc.), hardware (A/D converters), and software (
>oscilloscope programs, strip-chart emulators, and associated data-analysis
>programs).

    I have used a product called MacLab from World Precision Instruments
for strip chart data acquisition coming from strain gage transducers in
muscle physiology experiments. MacLab is pretty impressive. It also comes
with an oscilloscope program. They have 4 and 8 channel models. WPI is at
813-371-1003, or 203-469-8281. I am also working on another project using
LabView II, which is ok, but if you don't have time to learn it's language
(called G), then this might not be for you. If you do have the time, and
money!!!, it can do a fair amout of things. Other Mac data-acq packages are
Strawberry tree (very slow acquisition), GW Instruments and some others.

As everyone says "These opinions are mine"
Mark Vivino
mvivino@helix.nih.gov
301-496-9344

------------------------------

Date: 16 Oct 90 14:52 GMT
From: LAICHI.SPT@applelink.apple.com (Axis, Hector Rojas, Chile,ICC)
Subject: Need AppleShare mount sources

There are several external commands out there that mount AppleShare (AFP)
volumes.  These are all HyperCard external commands (XCMDs).  However, I
urgently need a similar external command that is callable from Wingz.

I have no problems writing the interface to Wingz, already having done that
several times.  But is anyone willing to send me some debugged source code that
does the mounting?  That would be very much appreciated!

-- Thomas Fruin                          Apple Chile

   AppleLink: LAICHI.SPT                 laichi.spt@applelink.apple.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 12:35:54 -0400
From: Edward Keegan <keegan-edward@cs.yale.edu>
Subject: neophyte question...

I'm not very experienced when it comes to downloading files and have encountered
a problem that I hope you can help me with. I downloaded In-Use (the .hqx) file
and used Stuffit Deluxe "Decode BinHex" file option and the resulting file has
a .cpt extension. I'm not all that knowledgable about what specific extensions
really mean (I'm familiar with .pit and .sit) so I don't know how to proceed.
Can you advise? Thanks in advance...
________
<  Ed  >

[Moderators note: The .cpt extention refers to a Compactor archive. It may
 be self-extracting, in which case you can double-click on the downloaded
 document to extract it. Otherwise use /util/compactor-121.hqx. -Bill]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 1990 14:11:25 EDT
From: GRIFFITH@comb1.comb.umd.edu (Peter Griffith)
Subject: Pacer/VAX/Macs/PC's

I would be interested in hearing from users with experience in setting up
Pacer software on a VAX for networking and printing Macs and PC's.
We are also using Multinet networking software on the VAX.

Thanks,

Peter Griffith
301-783-4824
griffith@comb1.comb.umd.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 1990 18:25:23 PDT
From: nethery.PARC@xerox.com
Subject: PC postScript on a Mac

Date    10/16/90
Subject PC postScript on a Mac
>From    Kee Nethery
To  ferrill, info-mac

To print a postscript file from the PC on a Mac, try the Widgets Tool sold by
CE Software.  It has a send postscript file to the laserwriter command that
adds all the header stuff that the laserWriter wants to see.  I've printed
SunWrite postscript files with it just fine.

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 1990 21:22:02 PDT
From: nethery.parc@xerox.com
Subject: Physiology Hardware/Softwar

Date    10/17/90
Subject Physiology Hardware/Softwar
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac

Subject:Physiology Hardware/Software
HyperTROL, 1530 55th Street #115, Boulder, Colorado, USA 80303, (303) 938-1662

They make a product called ... HyperBoard ... that will allow you to probably
do whatever you want with real world I/O.  It is a small A-Bus card (4x5
inches) that has a serial port connection to the Mac.  It has Intel BASIC on
board and it communicates with all sorts of A-Bus cards that are made by
another company.  I bought HyperBoard, an 8 port A/D card, a 2 Stepper Motors
Control Card, a stepper motor, and card case for under $500.  I have a
HyperCard stack that loads BASIC into the board when I first turn it on, then
it controls the stepper and grabs voltage readings.  I am plotting light
intensity vs distance.  They have quite a collection of A-Bus cards available
and it is really quite easy to hack together exactly what you want.  I am
converting the stack into a SuperCard Standalone and eventually it will be a
"real" application.  You can get battery backed up program memory for the
HyperBoard.  All in all, it seems like a good way to grab real world data.

You will need someone to find the actual physiology sensors and interface that
into the A/D card(s) but since channel gain is variable with resistors, that
is not going to be such of a problem.

Let me know how it goes.

nethery.parc@xerox.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 90 19:20:04 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Quark XPress problems

I'm having a few problems w/ Quark3. 1) One one machine when I try to launch
QXpress I get an error message saying "Can't access the file 'Express Data'."
[12]

If I click OK (only choice) it quits to Finder. When I check 12 in the system
error code list I get "unimplemented core error," which I think is a debugging
tool which was not removed in error. Removing inits & even reformatting drive
&  then reinstalling did noot help. I DID run Zapper too take care of known
bugs.

2) Why does this application indicate it was modified (in the finder "by date")
 every time you use it? I checked for viruses.
                                            Thanks, Pete
Acknowledge-To: <V5296E@TEMPLEVM>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 90 11:27:39 EDT
From: carol@tuatara.uofs.edu (Carol Herre)
Subject: Security for a Mac Lab

  We have recently installed a Lab containing several MacSE's  each with a hard
disk. The problem is the students have been malaigning the information on the
hard disk.  We are currently running Empower, but it doesn't prevent a guest
user from creating a folder, it allows the guest user to move existing folders
into the newly created folder even if administrator owns the folder, and it
allows the creator of the folder to set the access levels on the new folder.
This creates a management nightmare.  On a daily basis someone must reset the
systems to "normal".  What I am looking for is a method to control the write
access to the disk, and to automaticly remove any student files from the disk.
The ideal situation would be the following.  A student logs in and a temporary
folder is created.  All the student's work is placed in this folder.  The
student would only be allowed to write to this folder, and any files or folders external to this temporary folder could not be moved.  When the student is
finished the system would prompt him or her regarding saving the files to
a floppy.  The student could then choose to save all, save selected or save
none.  The system would then execute the appropriate write statements, remove
the temporary folder and log the student off.  Does anyone know of anything
out there in the Mac world that would give me all or some of the desired
features?  What do other schools do about security in their Mac Labs?  Thanks in
advance for any input.  Please respond to me directly since I am not a member
of this list.

Carol Herre
University of Scranton
Scranton,  PA

email
Internet - carol@tuatara.ucs.uofs.edu
	   carol@platypus.uofs.edu
Bitnet - clh702.scranton.bitnet
snail mail
        University of Scranton
   	Monroe Ave & Linden St
	Scranton,   PA   18510
phone
	717-941-7603

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 90 21:46 EST
From: Rashi <KMR91%GENESEO.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Writing a spreadsheet

Greetings.
        I am looking for help writing a spreadsheet type program.
If anyone is fimiliar with Datasheet for the Apple IIe, I am rewriting it for
the Macintosh. Datasheet is a "baby" spreadsheet program designed for freshman
level physics students. It is not very powerful, but has the features (and only
the features) needed in basic data analysis and plotting. It has the advantage
of being easy to learn and use. (Remember it is designed for freshman who have
had little computer experience.) Why not write a few macros for a popular
spreadsheet? $$$. The only spreadsheet the college has a site license is
Microsoft Works. Yes, easy to learn and customize, but the plotting
capabilities are not great. (This may still be the answer, if this project
is not susessful.)
        I am currently using Lightspeed Pascal. The List Manager provides most
of the bookkeeping in the handling of cell addressing and manipulation. But the
price is speed. The initial design of Datasheet provides 6 columns by 250 rows.
(Any more than this, and the student would not be using this program to begin
with.) At this size, even streamlining as much as possible, short of writing in
assembly, it takes seconds to fill the screen. (Not a major concern, but a
bit annoying.)
        What I am looking for is some help with the List Manager or other input
on how to go about building spreadsheet functions from scratch.

                                Keith Rachunok
                             KMR91@GENESEO.BITNET
                               Dept of Physics
                         Geneseo State, New York, USA