Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/19/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 18 Oct 90       Volume 8 : Issue 173

Today's Topics:

      [*] Bluelines with Word 4.0 and PostScript
      [*] cclock 2.0.4
      [*] MathProblem 1.0
      [*] megalomania 0.54
      [*] Rohan's cicn's - Here are some cicn's for ColorFinder etc.
      Accelorator for SE
      AppleTalk Zone from within Hypercard
      C++ HyperCard Stack
      Help!
      Hiding the menu bar
      HP DeskWriter
      Icelandic Fonts
      macdraw into pc wordperfect
      mounting AppleShare volumes
      Possible useful post
      PostScript Files translated to EBCDIC
      Sideways 14" Monitor
      System 6.0.7 vs. HC1.2.x
      Virtual Memory?
      Zero Surge surge protector
      Zterm Downloding from VAX

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sat, 28-Jul-1990 15:42:53.48 CST
From: <rcd2403%tamchem.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu> (R. C. Davis)
Subject: [*] Bluelines with Word 4.0 and PostScript

I got an idea while watching a co-worker of mine editing a blueline
copy of his dissertation that he printed using our LaserWriter IINT
and blueline paper from the bookstore.  I thought, "It should
easy to place a few Postscript commands in the header that *draw the
blueline margins* in light gray on the page.  Think of the money
struggling grad students everywhere will save by not having to buy
so much costly blueline paper while editing their theses!"

The file "PostScript Blueline for MS Word" is an example of my idea.
Thanks to those who replied with advice (especially to Andreas J.
Guelzow for the quick reply when I needed it!)  The PostScript code
is in the header of this file, it can be placed in the text if
desired.  The PostScript style is in Hidden Text, the "Show Hidden
Text" option of the "Preferences..." command must be used to inspect
the code.  For more information about using PostScript in Word see
pages 284-288 in the MS Word User's Guide.  This code may not be the
best, nor the fastest, but it gets the job done.  The file is
StuffIt'ed and Binhex'ed (Blueline-Word4.hqx).

Ricardo Davis

[Archived as /info-mac/util/msword-blueline.hqx; 5K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Aug 90 16:08:45 MDT
From: Steve Martin <uswmrg2!steve@uswat.uswest.com>
Subject: [*] cclock 2.0.4

This is cclock version 2.0.4.  This version rectifies the problem
with date formats used in Europe (DDMMYY)  Let me know if it
works!

Steve Martin
uswest.com!uswmrg2!steve

[Archived as /info-mac/util/cclock-204.hqx; 45K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Aug 90 11:18:26 CDT
From: dmitri@bolvan.ph.utexas.edu (Dmitri Linde)
Subject: [*] MathProblem 1.0

Hi!  This is a new version of MathProblem, a simple math teacher
Changes:
         1)Talks using Macintalk
         2)Some bugs fixed
         3)Reports results of student
MathProblem 1.0 by Dmitri Linde dmitri@bolvan.utexas.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/app/math-problem-10.hqx; 184K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 4 Aug 90 13:10:13 CDT
From: Eric Huffman <eric@music.nwu.edu>
Subject: [*] megalomania 0.54

Real time processing of MIDI data
---------------------------------

The application allows the user to design "effects" that process MIDI data
in real-time.  The user designs an effect by connecting together icons.  An
icon represents a simple computation (delay, transposition, etc...) and the
connections represent the flow of MIDI data.

MIDI files can be read and processed along with serial input.  The resultant
MIDI data stream can then be recorded and stored as a MIDI file and/or be
sent as serial output.

This package includes the application, documentation, and example files.

Changes since version 0.32 include :

1 - MultiFinder support.
2 - System Exclusive thru option.
3 - Auto Install Tool selection for installing effect icons.
4 - Effect icons can be given titles.
5 - New effect icons, including an envelope generator for controls.
6 - Parameter values can be entered via mouse scrolling, keyboard input, or
    MIDI input.

Changes since version 0.50 include :

1 - The input MIDI file can be looped.
2 - Bug fix in the Control Envelope module.  Control values were always
scaled by velocity, regardless of the setting of the "Scale Values by"
check box.

Written by Eric Huffman (eric@music.nwu.edu, CompuServe 71530, 545)
Comments and suggestions are welcome.

[Archived as /info-mac/sound/program/megalomania-054.hqx; 186K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 7 Aug 90 09:40:04-PST
From: ROHAN%ASTRO.SPAN@star.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] Rohan's cicn's - Here are some cicn's for ColorFinder etc.

These are several color Icons I produced for my and my friends systems.  These
can be copied into ColorFinder or Icon Colorizer or whatever program you use to
display color icons.  These are 'cicn's.  If your program uses some other color
icon format you will have to convert them yourself (I believe SunDesk for
example uses something else).  You can use ResEdit, ColorBits, etc. to copy them
in.

Use them free of charge (at least no charge from me). I don't take full credit
for them since some of them are just modifications of existing color icons, and
considering that the ones I did do from scratch are copies of the original ICN#
(with the exception of the Microsoft Works cicn's which are copies of its logo).
My thanks to the original ICN# and cicn artist for my inspiration.

This packet contains icons for:
    1100 - Mac IIcx (or IIci) system file
    150X - Stuffit (a little different)
    1510 - Mac IIcx ResEdit
    152X - Freehand
    153X - Giffer
    154X - Microsoft Works (Very different than originals)
    155X - Microsoft Works cont.
    156X - VersaTerm Pro
    157X - Edit
    1580 - HD Backup (does anyone use this still?)
    159X - ZTerm
    160X - Image
    161X - Microsoft Word (now with a shadow effect)
    1620 - Sound Mover
    1630 - Fix DeskTop

Also included are some modified ICN#'s (2XXX range)
than can be swapped into Works itself.

Rick Rohan

[Archived as /info-mac/misc/rohans-cicns.hqx; 48K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 18:14:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: "John McCall Kingsley, III" <jk4i+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Accelorator for SE

I am interested in purchasing an accelorator board for the SE. Does
anyone have any experience, comments, and or suggestions concerning this.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Jack Kingsley

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 15:39:39 EDT
From: Peter Furmonavicius <PETER%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: AppleTalk Zone from within Hypercard

a followup:

Recently I inquired about determining what AppleTalk Zone I was in from
within Hypercard.  Well, I was pointed in the direction of a set of
wonderful HyperCard XFCNs and XCMDs written by Frederic Rinaldi, that
contained a XFCN that did exactty what I wanted.  Frederic's Hypercard
externals are FreeWare, and are available on the Apple Developer's CD,
and on CompuServe.  While some are already available on the sumex archive
I believe that Frederic would be willing to have all of his material
uploaded to these archives.

Thanks again to those folks that directed me to "The Rinaldi Collection".

BITnet:  Peter @ YaleVM      InterNet:  Peter @ YaleVM.YCC.Yale.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 12:21 PDT
From: "Dan Dalal @ 554-6890" <DALAL%SCU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: C++ HyperCard Stack

I have a HYPERCARD stack that I've written for the MAC that deals with
C++, both the language syntax and programming aspects, including programming
examples. The stack deals with C++ in general and is not restriced to the
MACINTOSH only. C++ v2.0 is also discussed.

If you are interested in getting a copy of the stack, please send me a
email. I charge US $10.00 for the stack. For more information, send me email,
to DALAL@SCU.BITNET

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 18:48 EDT
From: <RMANGALD%CLARKU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Help!

Hi, Netters:

        I hope one of you can help me! I've been besieged by the
grandfather of all Mac problems: intermittent system errors, for no
apparent reason at all. Here is my setup: Mac SE, 1 Mb, two SuperDrives,
System 6.0.5, no INITs/cdevs/RDEVs -- not even the Apple-supplied ones.
Before I removed them, I had (in order of loading):

        SAM Intercept 2.0 (with added virus definitions)
        AppleShare 2.0.2
        Desktop Manager
        Easy Access
        On Cue 1.0
        Responder
        SQ555 2.2.5 (for Ehman removable hard disk drive)
        Suitcase II 1.2.6
        Adobe Type Manager 1.2

To rule out conflicts, I removed all of them -- to no avail. It seems
that the problem lies with my Ehman 45 Mb removable hard disk drive; I
can boot from a floppy -- with all the INIT's I want -- and have no
problems. However, as soon as I try to boot from the Ehman, the Mac
starts behaving strangely: most often I get System Errors ID 2
(addressing fault) and ID 3 (illegal instruction); this happens
immediately after the "Welcome to Macintosh" box is put up, during the
get into the Finder, I often get a bomb when I try to open a folder.
Sometimes the menus are all screwed up -- the menu items come on the
menu bar, etc. If I manage to launch an application, it often bombs
unexpectedly. I don't know what the heck is going on! Have other Ehman
users come accross this problem? Please help! By the way, my Ehman SCSI
driver version is 2.2.5.

        Some other things which may be significant: in the "About the
Finder" window, the system heap thermometer is completely black i.e.,
there is no free space in the system heap.

                                Rahul Mangaldas.

                  bitnet:       rmangaldas@clarku
                internet:       rmangaldas@clarku.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 00:12:47 +0100
From: "Vincenzo G. Capuano" <capuano@sun.cnuce.cnr.it>
Subject: Hiding the menu bar
Hi,
How can I hide the menu bar of my Mac II using MPW C ?
thanks in advance for your answers

Vincenzo
------
Vincenzo G. Capuano
capuano@sun.cnuce.cnr.it
capuano@icnucevm.cnuce.cnr.it

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 09:18 EDT
From: "MICHAEL J. LONGO" <LONGO@mail.physics.lsa.umich.edu>
Subject: HP DeskWriter

Dear Moderators-
   I just installed an HP DeskWriter on my Mac SE (with 2.5 MB and HD) about
two weeks ago.  I must admit to being quite disappointed.  The print quality
with the high-resolution native fonts is great, but there are things you
take for granted with an ImageWriter that the DeskWriter just won't do.
   For one thing, you can't do screen dumps (control-shift-4) even with it
hooked to the printer port.  In Versaterm you can't "Print Selection" or
"Print Stream".  [You get a page full of black if you try!]  In TrueBasic 2.0
if you try to print a source file with high res. fonts you get an error mes-
sage that there is not enough memory (somewhere).  This happens under Finder
as well as MultiFinder.)
   There are probably ways of working around some of these problems, like
getting new versions of some of these applications, but I would think that
HP could have done a better job in their printer driver.  [I have Release 2.]
   It is slow, as expected, but very quiet.  So far it has been reliable.
Since I installed it I seem to be getting a lot more system crashes, but they
may be related to the symptoms described above.
             M. Longo,  University of Michigan
[The usual disclaimers apply.........]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 19:53:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Thomas <jt29+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Icelandic Fonts

My roomate is writing an article for a publication in Iceland and needs
to get hold of Icelandic fonts for the Mac.  Does anyone have a
suggestion as to where he might get hold of these in the U.S.?  Please
respond by E-mail, I'll post the results.  Thank you in advance.

####################
J.B. Thomas                   "Wine me, Dine me, Frankenstein me"
jt29+@andrew.cmu.edu
####################

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 22:20:06 -0400
From: nate@neutron.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: macdraw into pc wordperfect

	I would appreciate advice on how to insert postscript
diagrams derived from macdraw diagrams on a mac into a
wordperfect document written on an ibm compatible pc.
	We have had some limited success using cricket draw
to convert a macdraw diagram into a postscript output.  No
success in trapping the postscript output via the apple-K
trick and using that.  We have yet to explore using
wordperfect on the mac or using the postscript import
facility of corel draw on the pc (I think there is one).
	Thanks for the help.

Nate Liskov      nate@neutron.lcs.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 15:31:23 EDT
From: Peter Furmonavicius <PETER%YALEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: mounting AppleShare volumes

Is there any way of mounting network volumes (e.g. AppleShare file server
volumes) besides going through the Chooser?  Is there any way from within
HyperCard to mount network disks?  Thanks for any information.

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 11:10:29 EDT
From: michael tarr <tarr-michael@cs.yale.edu>
Subject: Possible useful post

I posted this to comp.sys.mac.programmer but it might be appropriate for
info-mac too.

Here for all that are interested are the two references I mentioned:

Westall, R. F., Perkey, M. N., & Chute, D. L. (1989).  Millisecond
	timing on the Apple Macintosh: updating Drexel's millitimer.  Behavior
	Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 21 (5), 540-547.

Ulrich, R., & Giray, M. (1989).  Time resolution of clocks: effects on
	reaction time measurement -- good news for bad clocks.  British Journal
	of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, 42, 1-12.

Note that if you are using an ADB input device it is unlikely you are
getting millisecond precision anyway. For my own software I have two
strategies for measuring reaction times:

1. For ADB input devices: Run w/o multifinder and use an eventmask that
only looks for events from the device subjects are responding on. Use
the Event.when field to find out when the subject responded in ticks.
Note that there are 60.15 ticks per second (see IM V). This number is
fixed and is no longer tied to the screen refresh rate. If you need the
videosync to draw flicker free images, you need to use a VBL task which
is specific to your monitor (I still don't have this part working --
help please!).

2. To get millisecond accuracy: Buy a digital I/O card like that
available from Strawberry Tree which has counter/timers which can be
latched to the i/o channels -- this way you get REAL millisecond
precision since the timer stops when the channel goes high (e.g. your
subject presses a key connected to the channel).

Many psychologists are too hyper about millisecond precision -- given
the distributions of most RT's this is unnecessary. Plus few if any are
actually coaxing msec precision out of the computers -- but then they
report it as msecs cause the reviewers are saying "I don't trust your
data unless it is msec precise." Remember millisecond precision is just
as arbitrary as p < .05!!! It is doubtful brain function has little to
do with msecs. (Although it might be 50hz ticks if you believe Francis
Crick and Kristof Koch!!!).

Mike Tarr					The Human Neuron Project
tarr@cs.yale.edu				Department of Psychology
'My opinions are always my own.'		Yale University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 15:00:52 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: PostScript Files translated to EBCDIC

You mentioned uploading PostScript files to a mainframe, which process
converted the files from ASCII to EBCDIC (I presume the mainframe is
an IBM).

WATCH OUT!  In my experience, curly braces, back-slashes, and perhaps
other "special" characters may be translated into something inequivalent
by an ASCII to EBCDIC conversion.  Also, not all AtoE conversions are
the same, and not all of them are symmetric.  For example, using
Kermit to upload a file (with AtoE conversion) and then downloading
the result (with EtoA) conversion) may result in a file which is NOT
identical to the original.  It depends on the translate tables.

Check carefully, and good luck!

- -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - --
Joshua Yeidel                         YEIDEL@WSUVM1.BITNET
Academic Computing Services           YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
Washington State University           (509) 335-0441
Pullman, WA 99164-1226
DISCLAIMER: I'm speaking solely for myself here, not Washington State U.
-- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- -

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 08:43:28 edt
From: Rocky Olive <olive@apxtg03.apex.dg.com>
Subject: Sideways 14" Monitor

I know this may sound outlandish, but does anyone have/know of some init/cdev
that will convert the standard 640x480 Apple monitor to a 480x640 full-page
type monitor?  That is, I'd like to turn my monitor on its side and use it
as a color "full-page" monitor.  I'm sure this my sound crazy, but I do a lot
of programming and word processing, and this would help (and it never hurts to
ask, right?) :-) !!  Please don't flame me if this is non-existent or
impossibe, but I would like to know...

Thanks.

------------------------ +-----+ ----------------------------------------
.Rockford L. Olive...... |+---+| DG UNIX NET: olive@apxtg03
..Data General Corp..... ||   || INTERNET: olive@apxtg03.apex.dg.com
...Technology  Drive.... ||   || AMERICA ONLINE: Rocky O
....Apex,  NC   27502... |+---+| PRODIGY: DSDG94A
.....919/362-4800x5392.. +-----+ COMPUSERVE: 72500,2345
......919/362-4914 home. +-----+ SCREAMNET: Yo, Rock!
------------------------ +-----+ -----------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 09:35:08 -0400
From: bda@uengr.calvin.edu (Bruce Abernethy)
Subject: System 6.0.7 vs. HC1.2.x

DISCLAIMER:  Opinions expressed are my own.

     I am running System 6.0.7 at home and it is very nice. One nice thing
they changed is the error messages.  No more "ERROR -63301" stuff.  They
implemented a table which actually gives you an english message when you
mess-up (you may remember "a serious memory error has occurred" from the
10/15 Product Rollout). Well they are all like that now.  Another thing is
that there will not be AS MANY system errors because for 6.0.6 they
supposedly fixed all known bugs in the system software to date.
Unfortunately the new machines caused a few errors of there own, and they
missed a few minor things, so they went from 6.0.6a19 to 6.0.7 within two
months.  If you use sound in any way then you will want to move up.  The
System 7.0 Sound Manager is in 6.0.7 and will replace any sound routines in
previous Systems and the ROMs.

    The only thing that might slow you down from installing it would be the
possibility that it is incompatible with HC1.2.x.  I read this in some of
the technical literature yesterday and asked an Apple rep. about it (who
never really did answer my question).  I have run 6.0.7 and HC1.2.5 without
any problems YET, BUT in the same way that HC1.2.2 was incompatible with
System 6.0.5 and the "new" IIfx (leading to HC1.2.5), HC1.2.5 might be
incompatible with 6.0.7 and the new Macs but there will be no HC1.2.7, just
HC2.0. So until we get HC2.0 developers edition (which is probably not until
early December. Source: APDA) you should stick with 6.0.x (x <= 5) if you
want to script to your hearts content.  I should say that I have used HC2.0
developers edition at one of the Apple meetings this week and it looks DONE
to me.  They are probably just working on mass producing the disks and
rolling out the new documentation.  So hopefully we will se it soon.

Patiently looking over Apple's vaporware product line,

Bruce Abernethy
Calvin College, Computer Center Hotline, Grand Rapids, MI 49512
<bda@uengr.calvin.edu> (616) 957-8555

"We are now in the age of the three "E"s, Education, Environment, & Economy."
   -paraphrased, John Sculley

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 22:22:04 EDT
From: Mike_Alexander@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Virtual Memory?

have been using Virtual on my Mac II at work for a couple of years now,
and it is a very good product.  I've found very few programs that won't
run with it, which is quite remarkable considering what it does.  A very
similar facility will be available in System 7.0, but in the meantime (or
if you don't want System 7.0) Virtual is definitely worth getting.  Note,
however, that it can't perform magic.  If your virtual memory is very much
larger than your real memory, you will get a lot of paging.  I used to
run with 8 meg of virtual and 2 meg of real, and this was only marginally
satisfactory.  I now have 5 meg of real, and things are much better.  It's
always installed on my machine and I pretty much forget it's there.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 06:31:33 PDT
From: bethin%crcvax@nssdca.span.nasa.gov
Subject: Zero Surge surge protector

Fred Horan (horan@theory.tn.cornell.edu) asked about surge protectors without
MOVs and the Zero Surge product. The Zero Surge # is (201) 766-4220. I got
a recor
ding today when I called, saying they would call me back. Their unitding today when I called, saying they would call me back. Their unit has worked
well for me. It seems to be of very sturdy construction. No MOVs.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Oct 90 11:35:41 EDT
From: ebunce@lynx.northeastern.edu
Subject: Zterm Downloding from VAX

I found that when I use the Zmodem option to "Escape Control Characters",
that the problems I have had transferring files from Minicomputers (both
Vaxen and Sun) has gone away.  For some reason control characters tend
to throw things off.
					Erik L. Bunce
					ebunce@lynx.crc.northeastern.edu
/* My thoughts are my own, and not my companies (They just rent them) */

End of Info-Mac Digest