Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/22/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Sun, 21 Oct 90       Volume 8 : Issue 174

Today's Topics:

      [*] ConvertII1.1
      [*] CTalk - macintalk interface for Think C
      [*] Deja Vu Solution
      [*] Shadowgate Solution
      [*] Uninvited solution
      [*] USENET Macintosh Programmers Guide (word)
      Accelerators for Mac SE.
      A HyperCard Question
      Apple File Exchange
      Apple Xtended Keyboard Restart Key
      Fidonet mailer?
      Fontmania
      How to record a filename in Pascal or C ?
      jasmine report
      Mac file on a PC; Work Scheduling; Writing a Spreadsheet; Menubar h...
      MPW c++ / g++ / AUX
      Need legal software
      Need software advice
      PMMU
      Printing with Pagemaker 3.0 & Pagemaker 4.0
      Text entry via trackball
      Virtual
      Wanted:Hyperdrive 2000 for Macintosh
      X-Windows on the Mac

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 90 21:59 MDT
From: Bernie <BSWieser%UNCAMULT.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: [*] ConvertII1.1

This is version 1.1 of Convert][, a utility to display Apple][ graphics and to
convert them to Macintosh PICT format.  A bug which made the program
unwilling to re-save under Multifinder has been fixed; Edit Copy has been
added; more classic pictures have been added.  Enjoy.

Bernie Wieser
BSWieser at UNCAMULT.BITNET

[Archived as /info-mac/util/convert-ii-11.hqx; 47K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 90 12:23:40 CDT
From: dmitri@bolvan.ph.utexas.edu (Dmitri Linde)
Subject: [*] CTalk - macintalk interface for Think C

   Ctalk is a class for use with THINK C 4.0x.  It provides access to speech on Macintosh.  One needs MacinTalk file in System folder in order for CTalk to work.  One can ftp it from rascal.ics.utexas.edu.

    Original version of MacinTalk access for THINK C is by Peter Kaplan.  IUd like to thank him for SpeechLib.asm.  He made some mistakes, so that an application would hung if there is no MacinTalk in System folder. One mistake is

       if(speechFlag=TRUE) {do talking}

    should be

      if(speeachFlag==TRUE) {do talking}

   Besides CTalk is a class.  ( if you donUt like that then just remove class definition from Ctalk.h making instance variables statics ones and remove all occurrences of RCTalk::S )

   Methods are easy to learn and are documented in the file CTalk.c.  Sample project is included to show how to use CTalk.

Note: CTalk is distributed as CreditWare.  If you are using it then give me a little credit in About box and send me your application.  (but if you really like it then you might consider a postcard...)

Enjoy

Dmitri <dmitri@bolvan.ph.utexas.edu>

[Archived as /info-mac/source/c/think-c-ctalk.hqx; 12K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Aug 90 10:58:12 EDT
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (William Perez)
Subject: [*] Deja Vu Solution

Here is the solution to ICOM's DejaVu!
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>William Perez           <>  Internet:  perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu        <>
<>RPO 0043 POBox 5063     <>  GEnie:  W.PEREZ1                              <>
<>New Brunswick, NJ 08903 <>  America Online:  WilliWonka                   <>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

[Archived as /info-mac/game/deja-vu-solution.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Aug 90 10:52:28 EDT
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (William Perez)
Subject: [*] Shadowgate Solution

Here is the solution to ICOM's Shadowgate game!
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>William Perez           <>  Internet:  perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu        <>
<>RPO 0043 POBox 5063     <>  GEnie:  W.PEREZ1                              <>
<>New Brunswick, NJ 08903 <>  America Online:  WilliWonka                   <>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

[Archived as /info-mac/game/shadowgate-solution.hqx; 23K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Aug 90 10:57:00 EDT
From: perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu (William Perez)
Subject: [*] Uninvited solution

Included is the solution to ICOM's Uninvited game.  There is a MacWrite file
that has the maze picture included.  For those who don't have MacWrite,
also included is the Solution in text format and the maze picture in PICT
format.  Enjoy!
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>William Perez           <>  Internet:  perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu        <>
<>RPO 0043 POBox 5063     <>  GEnie:  W.PEREZ1                              <>
<>New Brunswick, NJ 08903 <>  America Online:  WilliWonka                   <>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

[Archived as /info-mac/game/uninvited-solution.hqx; 44K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 1990 10:36:02 PDT
From: Matt Mora <mxmora@unix.sri.com>
Subject: [*] USENET Macintosh Programmers Guide (word)

This is the Final verion of the UMPG in Microsoft word format.

[Archived as /info-mac/tech/usenet-mac-prog-guide-part1.hqx; 291K
             /info-mac/tech/usenet-mac-prog-guide-part2.hqx; 291K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Oct 90 11:37:49 +0100
From: Darkinbad The Good! <hpj%cxa.dl.ac.uk@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Accelerators for Mac SE.

There has  been a very good review in MACWORLD's August issue covering boards
for all types of Macs. There seem to be two basic types depending on the
processor that is been used. You have a choice between a 68020 or '030. The
review reccomends that whatever you get it should really contain an '030 CPU
since this has so many advantages over the '020. These are speed at a give
 clockrate, built in PMMU (for use with system 7.0's virtual memory or A/UX) and
 others.
>From the review I decided to but a Gemini 030 board running at 25Mhz. This
 wouldmake my SE run at ~70% of the fx! This is faster than both a IIcx and
 IIci.
The only problem I have run into is supply. I cannot find anyone in the UK who
sells them. Most of the dealers I have spoken to hadn't even heard of them!
If anyone out there knows the FAX no for total systems so I can get in touch
 with them I'd be very pleased to hear from you.

Thanks in Advance.
*<   Peter J Hardman.               Network Manager.       >*
*>   Phone (UK)061-275-4640       Chemistry Department.    <*
*<   Fax   (UK)061-275-4958      Manchester University.    >*
*>   EMail hpj@uk.ac.dl.cxa  Oxford Rd. Manchester M13 9PL <*

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 17:58:56 PDT
From: SCOTT%CALSTATE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu  (Scott Bontrager)
Subject: A HyperCard Question

I have been asking questions of my local Authorized Apple Dealer regarding
the availability of HyperCard 2.0.  I have recently purchased a book,
"Cooking with HyperTalk 2.0" which came with a disk and some 2.0 stacks.

When I requested an upgrade, I was told it had to be bought.  They said it
was only bundled with the *new* macs.  So I figured it was worth $50 and
called them back to order it.  I was told that they couldn't find the Order
Number and someone would call me back.  Finally, after waiting a few days
I called them back.  Now this person says that it isn't avilable...and they
don't know when it will be.  (Is this the run-around or what?)

All I am interested in is finding out if and/or when it will be available.
I am developing stacks for Cal State, San Bernardino and would like to get
version 2.0.

Any information will definately be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance.      Scott

Please contact:  Scot@CalState<.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 1990 09:38:01 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: Apple File Exchange

> I have a Mac at work, and a PC with a modem at home.  I tried to
> download some Stuffit files from ZMAC on Compuserve (source code from
> MacUser's Power Programming).  I transfered them to the Mac using Apple
> File Exchange, then used ResEdit to change the file and creator types to
> SIT!.  When I tried to unstuff the files, Stuffit told me they were
> damaged and to try to salvage what I could.  Then it said there was an
> unexpected EOF and couldn't read the SIT file.  Can someone help me get
> this to work?

You'll need to do one step differently.  Rather than using ResEdit to
convert the type/creator fields to SIT!, you should feed the transferred
program through either of two programs: "BinHex 5.0" (*not* 4.0), or
"MacBinary".

The reason: when Mac files are uploaded to a BBS or online service, the
uploading program almost always encodes them into MacBinary format...
the file type, creator, Finder flags, etc. are prepended to the file
in a 128-byte header.  If you download such a file directly to a Mac,
the receiving program (MicroPhone, FreeTerm, White Knight, NCSA Telnet,
etc.) recognizes the MacBinary header, strips it off, and recreates
the file with the correct data and resource fork contents, and with
the type/creator/flags set appropriately.

The standard Apple File Exchange move-a-file mode does not perform
MacBinary decoding... so you've ended up with a MacBinary-encoded file
on your Mac.  Simply changing the types, etc. will not make the file
usable, as it will still have the MacBinary header at the beginning
of the file... much to StuffIt's confusion.

I believe I've seen an add-on module for Apple File Exchange which can
perform the MacBinary decoding as the file is transferred... such a file
may be available on an archive-server in your neighborhood.  If not,
look for one of the programs I named above... both of these can perform
the MacBinary decoding after the file is transferred.

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

------------------------------

Date: 19 Oct 90 06:48:00 CDT
From: "Dr F J Van Wetering" <fjvanwet@zeus.unomaha.edu>
Subject: Apple Xtended Keyboard Restart Key

I use a Mac SE/30 w/ Apple's extended keyboard.  A colleague of mine has a
'vintage' Mac II (no letters...:{>  ).  She tapped the "restart" key at the
top right portion of the keyboard, and her II powered on.  This function is NOT
supported on the SE/30.

After scanning the Apple systems software manual, the only reference that I
could find to this restart key was "if you have a Mac II, this key will restart
your Mac".

Can anyone tell me:
	1) Why this function doesn't work on an SE/30?
	2) Does an INIT or other system file exist that can enable this key?

Thanks in advance.
| Dr. Francis J.  Van Wetering,   Management Information Systems           |
| University of Nebraska at Omaha     VOICE:   (402) 554-2814              |
| BITNET:   fjvanwet@unoma1           INTERNET: fjvanwet@zeus.unomaha.edu  |
|__________________________________________________________________________|

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 10:33:13 EDT
From: robert wilson <RWILSON%UTCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Fidonet mailer?

A friend has a node in fidonet.  I'm looking for a mailer for my mac that
will let me hook into fidonet.  One name I have is TABBY, but have not been
able to find the original source to get manuals, help, software, etc.  Any
ideas or comments?  Please respond to me directly or via fidonet node
1:362/101.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 09:47:11 EDT
From: "Gregory E. Gilbert" <C0195%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Fontmania

Is there any software available that will display the same sentence in all
the different fonts that are resident in my System and allow me to get a
a hardcopy for future reference?

e. g. (Albuquerque Font)     The big dog jumped over the lazy PC.
           .
           .
           .
      (Times Font)           The big dog jumped over the lazy PC.
           .
           .
           .
      (Zapf Chancery Font)   The big dog jumped over the lazy PC.

This way I can browse througgh the different fonts at my disposal and choose
the most appropriate font for the occasion.  Thanks much.  Regards,

                                                Greg.

Postal address: Gregory E. Gilbert
                Computer Services Division
                University of South Carolina
                Columbia, South Carolina   USA   29208
                (803) 777-6015

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 19:52:00 EDT
From: ULMO031%FRORS12.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Subject: How to record a filename in Pascal or C ?

I would like to submit a litte problem I have, programming in C or Pasca
Som programs like On Cue or ResEdit have a solution to my problem, I wis
I knew what is was ! Anyway, here is the question :

I am looking for a way to record in a file the location of a given
file or directory. I let the user choose the file or directory with the
Standard File Package, so I get a partial filename and a vRefNum that is
in fact a directory ID.

Now, suppose the user wants to access the file he has choosen some other
time. Maybe it was on a floppy disk, and it is no more available (if
the user has restarted his Mac, the system cannot even know that the
disk ever existed !). How could I record the location of a file, well
enough for the system to find it even after a restart ? I am not sure
that recording only the filename (partial filename) and the vRefNum is
enough. I don't think that recording a full pathname is good either, sin
may be longer than 255 characters.

So what is the solution with System 6 ?

Any help would be gladly accepted.

Alain Raynaud (ULMO031@FRORS12.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Fri 19 Oct 90 09:58:44-HST
From: Harold Miller <CNET2SH@uhccvx.uhcc.hawaii.edu>
Subject: jasmine report

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about getting jasmine
drives repairs (i.e. jasmines that were bought BEFORE Jasmine went under
a year ago or so).
So, after many phone calls, Jasmine has just moved into new offices this week
and their new tech support number is active and answers!  IT is:
408-752-2900.  Customer service is 408-752-2960, but cal tech support if you
need to return a damaged drive.  It is not clear how OLD a drive they will repair
for free...but they quickly assigned me RMA #'s for each of the 4 dead drives
and I shipped them off.  It will be interesting to see how long it takes
to get these back (the last one took almost a year).
HArold Miller
Seabury Hall
Maui, Hawaii
CNET2SH@UHCCVX.BITNET
-------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 16:45 PST
From: <CONDOF%CLARGRAD.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac file on a PC; Work Scheduling; Writing a Spreadsheet; Menubar h...

In Info-Mac 8 172, BPRODEN@UALR.BITNET writes:

>I have a Mac at work, and a PC with a modem at home. I tried
>to download some Stuffit files from ZMAC on Compuserve (source
>code from MacUser's Power Programming). I transfered them to
>the Mac using Apple File Exchange, then used ResEdit to change
>the file and creator types to SIT!. When I tried to unstuff
>the files, Stuffit told me they were damaged and to try to
>salvage what I could. Then it said there was an unexpected EOF
>and couldn't read the SIT file. Can someone help me get this
>to work?

You need the shareware utility BinHex 5.0 (NOTE: not 4.0). What has happened
is that you downloaded a Macbinary file onto your PC. A Macbinary file
combines the resource and data forks of a Macintosh file, as well as the
file's type, creator, and other system information, into the single fork of
the non-Macintosh file. This combining is made necessary by the limitations
of non-Mac file systems. BinHex 5.0 will convert between the Macbinary and
the Macintosh formats. Note that when you download directly onto your Mac,
the conversion is done automatically by the communications program.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Does anyone know of any work-scheduling software for the Mac? I don't mean a
PERT program like MacProject, but rather a program to help assign physicians
to shifts at a clinic. Ideally, the software would allow physicians to
request certain shifts or to block out certain shifts. The physicians
themselves wouldn't have to operate the software, so it doesn't have to be
the ultimate in idiot-proof :-). I would just be interested in knowing of any
software that does this, be it shareware, freeware, or commercial.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In Info-Mac 8 172, Keith Rachunok (KMR91@GENESEO.BITNET) writes:

>I am looking for help writing a spreadsheet type program. If
>anyone is fimiliar with Datasheet for the Apple IIe, I am
>rewriting it for the Macintosh. Datasheet is a "baby"
>spreadsheet program designed for freshman level physics
>students. I am currently using Lightspeed Pascal. The List
>Manager provides most of the bookkeeping in the handling of
>cell addressing and manipulation. But the price is speed.

I strongly suggest you get and learn MacApp from APDA. It contains object-
oriented units specifically designed to support spreadsheet-style interfaces,
and comes with a semi-functional sample application that is a spreadsheet.
The List Manager will never be able to provide the performance you need, as
its primary purpose was to generalize the lists such as those in the standard
file dialogs. It rapidly reaches its functional limits when pushed beyond
that.

You may object that you don't want to learn MacApp, and it *is* a steep
initial learning curve. But having learned it, you will be prepared for the
time when Apple requires object-oriented programming for future Macs, and you
will be able to transfer your MacApp knowledge to many future programming
projects.

Note that, although MacApp is based on MPW Pascal, other Pascals do compile
and support it. Check with the maker of your compiler.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In Info-Mac 8 173, "Vincenzo G. Capuano" <capuano@sun.cnuce.cnr.it> writes:

>How can I hide the menu bar of my Mac II using MPW C ? thanks
>in advance for your answers

Please don't! This might sound like a self-righteous thing to say, but the
Apple Human Interface Guidelines for good reason specify that the menubar
should not be hidden. As I've spent a goodly portion of my life studying
human interface issues, I tend to get a little excited about this. Please
leave the menubar on your application. In the end, the users of your
application will thank you; if you remove the menubar, they may end up
cursing you. Besides, there is surely enough area on your Mac II screen that
you don't really need an extra 16 pixels, right?

===
Fred Condo. Pro-Humanist BBS: 818/339-4704, 300/1200/2400 bps
Internet: fredc@pro-humanist.cts.com  Bitnet: condof@clargrad
UUCP: crash!pro-humanist!fredc [add '@nosc.mil' for ARPA]
matter: PO Box 2843, Covina, CA 91722  America Online: FredJC

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 19:32:31 +0100
From: J.Pearce@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: MPW c++ / g++ / AUX

I am currently interested in getting a c++ compiler/translator for my
MacIIci. I am considering getting AUX so I was wondering about g++, but
I am not quite sure whether it has been successfully ported to AUX -
any information would be gratefully appreciated.

The other alternative is MPW c++, can someone answer the following
questions :-

1. Which version of MPW c++ is shipping, and which version of the
   AT&T "standard" does it claim ?

2. I had heard reports of previous version of MPW c++ that the
   memory management was not totally stable/efficient - what is the
   status of the current version and are there any other
   bugs/limitations ?

3. Is it AUX 2.0 compatible and what level of integration does it
   offer - can you use anything direct from a AUX command line ?
   Would it be possible to use MPW c++ to generate c code for the
   native AUX c compiler ?

Many thanks,

John Pearce

jpearce@uk.ac.ucl.cs

Computer Science Department
University College London
Gower Street
London
WC1E 6BT
UK

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 11:46 EDT
From: adobe!uunet!pdn.paradyne.com!reggie@labrea.stanford.edu (George Leach)
Subject: Need legal software

       Hi!  I don't normally subscribe to this mailing list/newsgroup.
I have a friend, who is an attorney.  He is looking for software to
support processing of bankruptcy documents.  Right now, people are
advising him to go with an intel 80386-based PC.  He would prefer a
Mac, but is not familiar with the available software, especially for
his profession.o

       Any pointers would be appreciated!

       Please reply via e-mail.

Thank you,

George

George W. Leach					AT&T Paradyne
(uunet|att)!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LG-133
Phone: 1-813-530-2376				P.O. Box 2826
FAX: 1-813-530-8224				Largo, FL 34649-2826 USA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 15:51:14 EDT
From: CSLIBSHP <@ksuvxa.kent.edu:CSLIBSHP@KENTVM.BITNET>
Subject: Need software advice

Advice badly needed on two puzzlers:

1. Does anyone know of a football game for Mac which displays players,
   rather than XOX-type diagrams?  Need Name of game and your review of same.
   Help make someone happy this Xmas.

2. Desparately Seeking Epson LQ - to - Mac cable which came with  now-
   discontinued Epson LQ Software for Macintosh.  Does anyone know what
   is special about this cable, beside  the fact that it has numerous
   assorted connectors attached?  I have one in use, need another, have the
   software.  Can it be replaced with a standard cable?

   Due to an exhausted equipment budget, am stuck with low-end printer for
   Mac for another year.  Have nice EpsonLQ, but having trouble getting it
   to work.  Very unhappy with Orange Micro Grappler LX.  Advice, cable, or
   alternative interface/software suggestions gratefully accepted. . .

Reply to:

Julie Burke / CSL / School of Library Science    ||    "Frivolity
Kent State University / Kent, OH 44242           ||       is a
Bitnet: cslibshp@kentvm   (216) 672-2782         ||  stern taskmaster"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 90 14:34:09 -0700
From: proteus@med.stanford.edu
Subject: PMMU

Can somebody fill me in on the purpose of a PMMU? Where does one
install one? i.e. Does one insert it in a NUBUS port, or does it plug
into the motherboard, or does it plug into the hard drive? I have
absolutely no clue. I understand that the new Mac LC, for example,
does not come with a PMMU, but that one can be added.

Thanks for info.

|  Gregg L. Kasten  |     Stanford University     | proteus@med.stanford.edu  |
|                   |          Sophomore          |                           |
|___________________|_____________________________|___________________________|
\     The opinions expressed herein are my own; they are not necessarily     /
 \      indicative of the opinions of any affiliates of the university.     /
  \________________________________________________________________________/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 10:04:12 EDT
From: "Gregory E. Gilbert" <C0195%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Printing with Pagemaker 3.0 & Pagemaker 4.0

Problem:  We are using BOTH Pagemaker 3.0 and Pagemaker 4.0.  If a Pagemaker
          3.0 document is printed we have to turn off the printer to print
          a 4.0 documet because the Laserwriter is referencing the 3.0
          dictionary.

Question:  Is there an INIT (or could one be written - I don't have the
           knowledge) that will load the 4.0 dictionary when the printer
           is turned on each morning or the first document is printed.
           Something akin to the Postscript Vaccine, but it loads the 4.0
           (or higher, to prevent future problems) dictionary?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Regards,

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 90 18:30:59 CDT
From: CB Lih <CBLIH%UAFSYSB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Text entry via trackball

Hello, I'm looking for a program or HyperCard stack that would permit
text entry with a trackball.  This is needed for a student here who has
cerebral palsy.  He's using an Apple Extended Keyboard and a Kensington
Turbo Mouse (trackball).  He would be able to type faster if he could
point to a letter with the trackball and click.  A couple years ago
I saw an init or da that did essentially what he's looking for. However,
not only have I lost it, but it placed a keyboard on the screen that was
too small to be able to point at easily.  If we can't find a solution
(very much preferably shareware or public domain) he will try to make
a HyperCard stack to do the entry and then converted to be formatted with
Microsoft Word.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

=-->   CB Lih   <--=
Macintosh Support / Disabled Student Computer Support
BITNET: CBLIH@UAFSYSB    AppleLink: U0669    Phone: 501-575-2905
US Mail: ADSB 220, University of Arkansas
         155 Razorback Road, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 13:45:15 BST
From: MBSFPAW@cms.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk
Subject: Virtual

This is an answer to the Virtual utility question.

Virtual is an init/Cdev utility that allows you to create between 4M and 8M of
virtual memory on a 68030 Mac or 68020 + PMMU MacII.

It is by no mean a replacement for real Ram, but offers the possibility to
handle very large data segments when needed.
It simulates ram on the Harddisk, where it creates a virtual Ram files of
the specified sized. This is slow, disk intensive and requires the HD to be
defragmented before use. (All this takes time, and a HD partion on a very large
-80Meg- and very fast drive is recomended)

In my experience, it work remarquably well on a SE30 5/40, using Mathematica
with an extra 4Meg of virtual memory.

Yours,

     Alain Waha,  research assistant in Aeronautical Engineering
|       JANET : MBSFPAW@uk.ac.mcc.cms    |   Aeronautical Eng. dpt.  |
|DARPA/BITNET : MBSFPAW@cms.mcc.ac.uk    |   The University          |
|        UUCP : MBSFPAW%cms.mcc@uucp.ukc |   Manchester, M13 9PL     |
|      ANALOG : X (0)61 275-4305         |   England                 |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  |
| & God said:                                                        |
|       u du/dx + v du/dy = -1/@ dp/dx + mu (d2u/dx2 + d2u/dy2)      |
|                               & jets rose steadily into the skies  |
     (disclaimer: the equation ain't mine, it's Navier & Stokes)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 90 21:00:43 GMT
From: slfields@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Scott L Fields)
Subject: Wanted:Hyperdrive 2000 for Macintosh
I would like to get a hyperdrive 2000 if anyone has one they would like to get
rid of. These beasties are not often found anymore so many of you may not know
the critter. If you remember the original 512K Mac and the absence of a hard
disk you may remember Hyperdrive {the first internal hard disk for the Mac}.
Not all that long after they introduced the Hyperdrive 2000 which featured the
same hard disk and a 12Mhz 68000 and a extra amount of ram {a meg if a remember}
I am not necesarrily interested in the whole kit but just the circuit board. If
anyone out there has some extra parts of this I would be interested in buying
it. Please E-mail me with any responses. Thanks in advance.

slfields@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
Phone#405/447-3414 {if by the grace of god I am home}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 1990 09:54:25 +0100
From: "B|rre Ludvigsen" <borrel%sun.dhhalden.uninett@nac.no>
Subject: X-Windows on the Mac

X-Winows on the Mac

Does anyone know of a source for an X-windows server for the
Mac II?

Borre Ludvigsen                borrel%sun.dhhalden.uninett@nac.no
Senior Lecturer                        Borre.Ludvigsen@use.uio.no
Ostfold Regional College                74377.3443@Compuserve.com
Department of Computer Science
Os Alle 9
N-1750 HALDEN, Norway     phone 47 9 18 54 00 / fax 47 9 18 54 85

End of Info-Mac Digest