Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/24/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 23 Oct 90       Volume 8 : Issue 176

Today's Topics:

      [*] Disinfectant 2.3
      [*] DiskDoubler Expand INIT
      [*] macpost-10b2
      [*] TappyType 1.36
      [*] UU-decode version 2.0.1
      Accessing Chooser "User Name" using Toolbox calls
      Backdoor to HC2.0?
      Configuring a Dinosaur
      For SAM 2.0 Users
      Help finish AppleShare XCMD!
      Hypercard 2.0 & sys error
      HyperCOMs includes HC 2.0
      Interfacing DEC LN03 Laser Printer to Macintosh
      MacinTalk
      Need info on digitizing tablet hard- & software
      pagemaker 4.0 print problem
      ResEdit, Font/DA Mover problems
      The Truth About My Bombs: A Summary (blush, blush!)
      Use of Mews and netnews reader

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 16:29:02 CDT
From: jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (John Norstad)
Subject: [*] Disinfectant 2.3

Disinfectant 2.3
================

October 23, 1990

Disinfectant 2.3 is a new release of our free Macintosh anti-viral
utility.

Version 2.3 detects the C strain of the MDEF virus. This new strain was
recently discovered in Ithaca, New York.

Version 2.3 detects a variant of the ANTI A virus which version 2.2 failed
to detect properly. There are no significant differences in behavior
between
the original ANTI A virus and this variant, and version 2.3 identifies both

of them as ANTI A.

There have been no changes to the Disinfectant sample source code since
version 2.2.

Disinfectant 2.3 is available now via anonymous FTP from site
acns.nwu.edu [129.105.49.1].  It will also be available soon on
sumex-aim.stanford.edu, rascal.ics.utexas.edu,
comp.binaries.mac, CompuServe, GEnie, Delphi, BIX, MacNet,
America Online, Calvacom, AppleLink, and other popular sources
of free and shareware software.

Macintosh users who do not have access to electronic sources of free and
shareware software may obtain a copy of Disinfectant by sending a self-
addressed stamped envelope and an 800K floppy disk to the author at the
address given below. People outside the US may send an international postal

reply coupon instead of US stamps (available from any post office). Please
use sturdy envelopes, preferably cardboard disk mailers.

People in Western Europe may obtain a copy of the latest version of
Disinfectant by sending a self-addressed disk mailer and an 800K floppy
disk to macclub benelux. Stamps are not required. The address is:

   macclub benelux
   Disinfectant Update
   Wirtzfeld Valley 140
   B-4761 Bullingen Belgium

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University
2129 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208

Bitnet: jln@nuacc
Internet: jln@casbah.acns.nwu.edu
CompuServe: 76666,573
AppleLink: A0173

[Archived as /info-mac/virus/disinfectant-23-part1.hqx; 160K
             /info-mac/virus/disinfectant-23-part2.hqx; 147K]

------------------------------

Date: 13 Sep 90 11:04:33
From: Wolfgang Naegeli <Wolfgang_Naegeli.ED_IAAS@qm01.ctd.ornl.gov>
Subject: [*] DiskDoubler Expand INIT

Enclosed is DDExpand INIT, the limited give-away versions of the  DiskDoubler
INIT by Salient.

The INIT adds a "DD" menu to the Finder menu bar. Select the icon of a
compressed file (either DD, StuffIt, or PackIt format) or of a folder or disk
containing such files, then choose Expand from the DD menu, and the compressed
file(s) will be expanded. For each StuffIt archive a folder of the same name &
"D" is automatically created to receive the archive's contents. This version of
DD can also join split files. DiskDoubler saves a tremendous amount of time,
particularly if you download several archives at once.

When a compressed file is selected from an application in the Open File dialog,
the INIT will automatically expand it on the fly.

DDExpand INIT is free and much faster and much easier to use than StuffIt or
UnStuffIt DA.

The full versions, which Salient sells through commercial channels, also
compresses and splits files. This works almost precisely in the reverse order
of what I described above. (Salient also has reduced prices for user groups!
Call them at 415-852-9567.)

Where StuffIt achieves 30 to 40 percent compression, DD typically achieves 40
to 50 percent (and that in less time!). Image files, sounds, fonts, and some
database files may get reduced to 10 percent or less of their original size.

Version 3.0 of DiskDoubler INIT has several major enhancements:
1) Automatic recompression when closing a file that was opened and
automatically expanded from within an application.
2) Support for combining multiple files/folders/disks into a single compressed
file.
3) Tighter compression of image and sound files.
4) Automatic generation of batch instruction files. (Press the option key and
the DD menu choices change to "Compress Later," "Expand Later," "Combine
Later," etc. Instead of executing the operation immediately on the highlighted
object, an instruction is added to a DD Batch file.  Later, you simply double
click the batch file to execute it. You can let it run in the background under
MultiFinder.)

DiskDoubler has the slickest and most time-saving user interface of any
compression utility on any computer that I have seen. Compactor may get tighter
compression on certain kinds of files, but its user interface is StuffIt all
warmed up again.

DiskDoubler comes with an application in addition to the INIT. This is useful
for those who do not want to allocate any RAM to DD at startup.
It also makes it possible to expand any compressed file simply by
double-clicking its icon in the Finder. DiskDoubler automatically quits after
doing its work when opened this way.

I have no affilitation with Salient other than beeing a very satisfied
customer. Salient is really devoted to developing and supporting DD. A far cry
>From the poor support Aladdin provides or does not provide. DD 3.0 is the third
major release in less than one year. It has made maintaining a BBS much easier.

I hope that all new additions to the Info-Mac archives will be made in DD
format and that some of the larger files already in the archives will be
converted. The DiskDoubler compression algorithms are proprietary (Salient is
continuously working on improving them). This is a drawback, but all high
efficiency algorithms in StuffIt Delux, Compactor, and Diamond are also
proprietary. Salient gives away the expansion tools though.
Moreover, DD supports Inter-Application Communications (IAC). A developer's kit
is available and makes it easy to include automatic compression and expansion
into communications packages, for example.
DD unquestionably has the best user interface and I trust Salient more than any
of its competitors to provide a high degree of support and rapid enhancement.

I am uploading an uncompressed version that you can use as is after downloading
and un BinHexing. I also will upload a version compressed with DD before
BinHexing, which you should select if you already have an earlier version of DD
or have downloaded the DD Expand application first.
There is no separate documentation, but a Help menu is included.

I will also upload the DD Expand application.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
President, MacClique--East Tennessee Macintosh Users Group
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141 (MacFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510

[Archived as /info-mac/init/dd-expand.hqx; 110K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Sep 90 17:54:55 +0200
From: Roland M}nsson LDC <Roland.Mansson@ldc.lu.se>
Subject: [*] macpost-10b2

MacPost 1.0b2 README (July 13, 1990)
===================================
MacPost is an electronic mail system for the Apple Macintosh. It
is developed by Lund University Computing Center as a Lund-Apple
Joint Project (European University Consortium). MacPost is
available via anonymous ftp at no cost.

MacPost gives Mac users access to internet mail directly from the
desktop. The client is very easy to use, and the server should be
relatively easy to setup for anyone somewhat experienced with Macs,
AppleTalk, tcp/ip, and e-mail.

The Client
----------
The client is an ordinary Macintosh application. It is used to send
and receive electronic mail. The user is automatically notified when
a new mail arrives, regardless of what application (s)he is using.
Domain addresses are used. There is a simple Address Book that
allows the user to pick a name from a list, and send the mail to the
associated address. Translation between Mac-ascii and seven bit
ascii works automatically in both directions.

The Server
----------
The server runs on a dedicated Macintosh. One server can handle an
entire AppleTalk internet. The client's mail is sent to the server,
and it forwards the mail to a well-connected SMTP-server. Incoming
mail is stored on the server until the user reads it.

Communication
-------------
The protocol between client and server is AppleTalk. Thus, the
clients and the server must be in one AppleTalk internet, but it can
consist of any combination of LocalTalk, EtherTalk, TokenTalk, etc.
Dial-in access is possible, if AppleTalk is used (eg. Liaison, Shiva
TeleBridge).

The protocol between the server and the well-connected SMTP-server
is tcp/ip. With "well-connected" we refer to that it must be able to
interpret addresses, and send the mail in the right direction. The
server uses Apple's MacTCP (available through APDA).

Required Equipment
------------------
Server:  dedicated Mac, 2MB RAM, hard disk, ethernet card, MacTCP
Client:  any Mac, System 6.0, AppleTalk 48
Client - Server Communication:  an AppleTalk internet network
Server - well-connected SMTP-server Communication:  tcp/ip network
Network Services:  a well-connected SMTP server

Status
------
This release is reasonably stable. We are not aware of any major
bugs in it.

See the Release Notes files for info about bug fixes and new
features in this release.

The user documentation is not yet available, but it should be easy
for anyone to use MacPost without the docs.

This is the first English release. We would very much appreciate
your comments about our use and misuse of the English language.

Copyright
---------
MacPost is Copyright 1988-90 Lund University Computing Center. All
rights reserved.

MacPost may not be sold or offered for sale, or bundled with another
product offered for sale, except with the express written permission
of Lund University Computing Center.

You are allowed to copy, distribute, and use this release free of
charge as long as it is not in violation of the paragraph above.

Disclaimer
----------
Lund University Computing Center gives no warranty, expressed or
implied, for the software and/or documentation provided, including,
without limitation, warranty of merchantability and warranty of
fitness for a particular purpose.

Distribution
------------
MacPost is available via anonymous ftp from pollux.lu.se
(130.235.132.89) in pub/mac/comm/macpost. StuffIt is required to
unpack it. Documentation is in text-only and MacWrite 4.5.

The server applications and the server documentation are in English.
The client and the client documentation are available in both
English and Swedish.

The distribution consists of several StuffIt archives. See the file
FILES for more info.

Mailing List
releases etc. about MacPost. To join it, send a request to
 macpost-request@ldc.lu.se (internet) OR macpostr@selund (bitnet)

To send a mail to the list, address it to
 macpost@ldc.lu.se (internet) OR macpost@selund (bitnet)

To send a mail only to the MacPost Development Team, address it to
 macpost-admin@ldc.lu.se (internet) OR macposta@selund (bitnet)

You are strongly encouraged to send all questions etc. to the
mailing list (ie. don't use macpost-admin). We also encourage you
to reply to questions submitted to the mailing list (send your
reply to the list; others than the original author may find it
useful). We may not have enough time to answer questions, and the
time we have at our disposal may be better spent on bug fixes and
new features.

Support, bug reports
problems, please check your AppleTalk, the well-connected SMTP
server, etc., etc. before you ask us!

Roland Mansson
The MacPost Development Team
Lund University Computing Center
Box 783, S-220 07 Lund, Sweden
Fax: +46-46138225
roland.mansson@ldc.lu.se

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/macpost-client-10b2.hqx; 115K
             /info-mac/comm/macpost-server-10b2.hqx; 228K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 15:33:39 -0400
From: cak3g@astsun7.astro.virginia.edu (Colin Klipsch)
Subject: [*] TappyType 1.36

Included here -- in Binhexed Stuffit format -- is TappyType V1.36,
along with a TeachText file of documentation.

TappyType is a CDEV/INIT which makes your Mac's keyboard sound
like a typewriter.  It is freeware, though not in the public
domain.

Version 1.36 supercedes all previous versions.  The new changes are
mostly cosmetic, though I added some more robust error-checking also.
(Those new sounds will be here any day now. . .)

Cheers,

Colin Klipsch
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia
Internet: cak3g@virginia.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/tappy-type-136.hqx; 35K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 20:26:45 +0200
From: adam%TNOAL1.TNO.NL@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] UU-decode version 2.0.1

Hello all,

I am posting a new version of my uu-decoder to the archives...

This one can read uu-encoded files from outside the application's folder
and delivers a file of type 'TEXT' instead of '????'

Regards,
Adam.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/uu-decode-201.hqx; 38K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 15:44:24 -0400
From: hdmiller@kodak.com
Subject: Accessing Chooser "User Name" using Toolbox calls

Date: 10/23/90 15:44:39
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu

>From: H. David Miller, Process & Control Systems Engr., B-54D, x-8789

I'm looking for an answer I haven't been able to find in the five
volumes of Inside Macintosh -- perhaps I can sound out some conventional
wisdom out there.  In the course of a program development, I've found a
need to acquire the "User Name" string that defines the workstation ID
(i.e. the User Name in the Chooser).  Is there a quick and dirty way to
get this (global variable) or is it more painful?  Any and all clues
will be appreciated --  thanks!

******    *****
*****    ******                H. David Miller
****   ********
***   *********                Process and Control Systems Engineering
**  *** Kodak *
***   *********                Tennessee Eastman Company
****   ********
*****    ******                Internet: hdmiller@kodak.com
******    *****

H. D. Miller

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 17:45:14 -0400
From: bda@uengr.calvin.edu (Bruce Abernethy)
Subject: Backdoor to HC2.0?

If it is true that the binaries of HC2.0 (runtime) and HC2.0 (developer ed.)
are identical and it is simply a different home stack and supporting stacks
that enable scripting (userlevel 5), then it should be possible to get at the
scripting capabilities now.  If someone (who has the real HyperCard) could
write a simple stack which enables userlevel 5 then anyone with HC2.0 could
begin scripting and get back to work.

I have a project which is due Dec. 15.  If there is anyway (legally) I could
begin using HC2.0 soon I would be very happy (I do not want to do it in 1.2.5).

Bruce Abernethy
Calvin College, Computer Center Hotline
Grand Rapids, MI 49512
<bda@uengr.calvin.edu>

Opinions and Ideas expressed are, as always, my own

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 14:07:54 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Configuring a Dinosaur

I've a friend here whose father gave her his Mac 512, 800K internal drive,
400K external (makes wonderful noises when it thinks).

The problem: I'd like to set her up with a good and useful system, plus
a manageable Word setup so she can do what she needs, which is mostly
wordprocessing with footnotes.

My idea is to put a minimum system (4.2) on the 400K drive and let her run
Word 3.01 with spellchecker and hopefully some space left to save docs.
(Unfortunately we only have Word 4.0 utilities here, so if anyone has
the dictionary/helpfile for 3.01 and could send it along it would save us
trying to get them from Microsoft).

Does anyone out there have a better idea for configuring this dear old
venerable? We'd be very glad to hear from you if you do.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Everson
meverc95@irlearn

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 12:37:29 EDT
From: "Joel B. Levin" <levin@bbn.com>
Subject: For SAM 2.0 Users

For SAM 2.0 Users:

A new strain of Garfield (or MDEF) has appeared. This version has code in it
which attempts to bypass antiviral programs. It also has a very severe bug
which could lead to system crashes, error messages, or corrupted files once
this virus runs in a system. Otherwise, this strain is very similar to the
other strains of Garfield.

If you have SAM configured in Standard level or higher, generally it will issue
either "Attempt to bypass SAM Intercept" messages, or messages telling that a
suspicious change to or addition of an MDEF resource is being made. Which
messages appear depends upon a number of factors, such as what machine is
present, whether MultiFinder is running, what system is running, etc. Denying
the attempts to add and change the MDEF resource keeps Garfield C from
spreading.

The virus definition for this strain of Garfield is:

   Virus Name:  Garfield      (or MDEF)

Resource Type:  MDEF
  Resource ID:  0
Resource Size:  556
Search String:  4D4445464267487A005EA9AB       (hexadecimal)
Search Offset:  448

Paul Cozza
SAM Author

	[forwarded to info-mac at author's request / JBL]

------------------------------

Date: 23 Oct 90 14:28 GMT
From: LAICHI.SPT@applelink.apple.com (Axis, Hector Rojas, Chile,ICC)
Subject: Help finish AppleShare XCMD!

I've almost finished writing my own Wingz external command to mount an
AppleShare (AFP) volume, but one problem remains.  Who will help me solve it?

My code works fine right up to and including the FPLogin step.  It first opens
the necessary AppleTalk drivers, then looks for the server via NBP, then gets
the server's info block with FPGetSrvrInfo, and logs on succesfully with
FPLogin.

However, when I call FPOpenVol to mount the volume, I get a ParamError (-5019).
Inside AppleTalk says this is because either the session reference number
(returned by FPLogin) is invalid, or the volume doesn't exist.  Neither is the
case in my code.  Who knows what is happening?

Please help, and I'll share my source code with all of you out there.  I'll
package it into a Wingz and a HyperCard XCMD too!

-- Thomas Fruin                          Apple Chile

   AppleLink: LAICHI.SPT                 laichi.spt@applelink.apple.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 10:19 CST
From: <PT1811S%DRAKE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Hypercard 2.0 & sys error

I have recently installed Hypercard 2.0 on my SE/30 with 5 megs RAM running
system 6.05.  I continuously would get a system error id 12 when starting
hypercard.  I found the conflict, but don't know what the file does that
I had to discard.

The startup doc that was causing the problems is called Keyboard Shortcuts.  It
was created on May 15, 1988 with a version number of 1.3b.  It is copyrighted
by Tom  Phoenix.  I have no idea what Keyboard Shortcuts did for me, but it
was causing my system errors with Hypercard 2.0!!!!!

Now that it HC works, I want to go play with it, but if anyone can tell me
what Keyboard Shortcuts does, please let me know!

Thanks....
Paul Thibodeau
Senior Mac Consultant
Drake U
Bitnet "PT1811S@DRAKE"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 11:51:13 EDT
From: Rob Szarek <413077%UOTTAWA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HyperCOMs includes HC 2.0

For thoses who want HyperCard 2.0 in a hurry, pick up a copy of
HyperCOM. To my surprise, the product includes a FULL working version
of HyperCard. It takes 5 800k disks. The only thing that is not included
is the official manuals. But Danny Goodman.s book "HyperCard 2.0" makes
a nice substitute.

Rob Szarek
University of Ottawa
Canada.

"If a politian comes up to you and offers some GST, just say HELL NO WAY"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 17:05:49 PDT
From: GROSSMAN%UCE.ESNET@esnmrg.nersc.gov
Subject: Interfacing DEC LN03 Laser Printer to Macintosh

I am interested in connecting a DEC LN03 laser printer to Macintosh IIsi,
and would appreciate any advice on how to do this.  Thanks, in advance for
your help.

Arthur A. Grossman
University of California, Los Angeles

On ESNET: GROSSMAN@UCE

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 08:54 CDT
From: The Eternal Romantic Hormone <KG0041A%DRAKE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacinTalk

"Just a little reminder:  MacinTalk WILL NOT WORK under System 6.0.7 or
higher.  The new Sound Manager breaks it.  MacinTalk hasn't been supported by
Apple for a long time, so you shouldn't write software that assumes it'll be
there."

Well, I'm running System 7.0a right now and MacinTalk is working just
fine.  I haven't had my Mac crash because it was installed.  (It's crashed
plenty of other times, though.  Very buggy, this alpha version.)

Of course what works on one Mac might crash ten others, but just don't
give up all hope on MacinTalk.  I'm running on a Mac IIcx 5/40 with
DeskPict!, Mouse Odometer, WDef Init, Following, Pyro!, In Use,
Cursor Animator, Lip Service, and the aforementioned MacinTalk.

*Kyle Griffin                "No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity,*
*(515) 271-2695               But I know none, and therefore am no beast."    *
*Kg0041a @ Drake                       -Richard III - William Shakespeare     *

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 OCT 90 08:13:23 PDT
From: <MICRO2.KLOPP@crvax.sri.com>
Subject: Need info on digitizing tablet hard- & software

Does anyone have leanings one way or another toward Calcomp vs. Summagraphics
for large digitizing tablets (>=18" x >=24") for the Mac?  We have to replace
our antique Tektronix (really a Summagraphics).

Does anyone know of software that would let us trace and digitize graphs into a
file of coordinate points?  I've looked at a shareware program called DigiGraf,
but it's a bit rough around the edges.  Is there such a feature built into
Kaleidagraph, Igor, or similar.  How about one of the CAD packages?  Is there a
market for this kind of thing?

Thank you for any and all info.

Regards,
Rich Klopp
MICRO2.KLOPP@crvax.sri.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 08:59 +0800
From: DTPALMER%HKUCC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: pagemaker 4.0 print problem

I have a problem bringing printed photographs in TIFF format into PM
and then printing them.  They show up with light squares and dark
squares in them and then print that way.  I think it must be something
simple, but after struggling for hours I am still at a loss.

Please help.

David Palmer
University of Hong Kong

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 16:16 EDT
From: <RMANGALD%CLARKU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ResEdit, Font/DA Mover problems

Hello, People!

Two questions, short and sweet:

(1) I get a "There is an attempt to bypass the file system" alert from
SAM 2.0 when I quit ResEdit 2.0b2. Does anyone know why ResEdit needs to
do this? Also, allowing this operation corrupted my System file! What
the heck is going on? I'm pretty sure it's not a virus -- I've checked
with SAM Virus Clinic 2.0 and Disinfectant 2.2. My guess is that ResEdit
is doing something to its personal scrap file, but why would that
corrupt my System file?

(2) When I'm editing a font suitcase with Font/DA Mover 3.8
(specifically, removing fonts), I sometimes get an alert "A serious
error has occured. Exit to Finder"; the error ID is always a large
negative number (-15397 or something like that). Very often, the
suitcase is corrupted and becomes unopenable by either ResEdit or
Font/DA Mover. (Yes, I am using Suitcase II and I *do* close the
suitcase before I muck around with Font/DA Mover). Any ideas?

My system configuration: SE, 1 Mb, 2 SuperDrives, Ehman 45 Mb Removable
Drive, System 6.0.5, lots of INITs, but the problems persist even
without the INITs.

                                Rahul Mangaldas.

                  bitnet:       rmangaldas@clarku
                internet:       rmangaldas@clarku.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 16:03 EDT
From: <RMANGALD%CLARKU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: The Truth About My Bombs: A Summary (blush, blush!)

Hello, People!

        Thanks to all who replied to my earlier posting about frequent
bombs when trying to boot with my Ehman 45 Mb removable drive. The drive
is fine, thank you (and thank God!). Of the five replies I received,
three suggested I re-install my System and two suggested I might have a
hardware problem. Well, it turns out that the first camp is right: I
replaced my System and everything is fine -- at least for now! There is
a caveat, though: until now, I had been using the Installer to
re-install the System file, which didn't cure the problem, leading me to
suspect a hardware problem; to make the problem go away, I trashed my
old System and Finder, as a fellow netter suggested, and copied them
back (via the Finder) from my System Tools 6.0.5 master disk. Voila! No
more crashes, and I can use all my cdevs, INITs, and RDEVs too! (Yea!)

        Thanks again to all who replied.

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 90 12:43:02 EDT
From: bas@chem.wayne.edu (Barry A. Schoenfelner)
Subject: Use of Mews and netnews reader

Greetings,

   I have been trying to use Mews 1.4.1 or netnews reader 1.2.1 and not having
much sucess.  I picked up a copy of MacTCP via anonymous FTP so I don't have
documentation and both newsreader packages imply that a Hosts file must reside
in my system disk.  Could some kind soul send me an example of the Hosts File
so that I may see what format it is in?  Netnews reader implys that one does not
have to have an account on the news server to use it.  If so, can someone
suggest a good news server with Mac info on it?

  FYI I am using HyperCard 1.2.2 with System 6.0.3 on an SE/30 going over
AppleTalk to a KineticsNovellShiva FastPath 4 if it makes any difference.  I
know I have the MacTCP configured correctly as I can use NCSA Telnet MacTCP
without any problem.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

					Barry Schoenfelner
					bas@chem.wayne.edu

End of Info-Mac Digest