Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (10/31/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 30 Oct 90       Volume 8 : Issue 178

Today's Topics:

      Accessing Chooser "User Name" using Toolbox calls
      Analog/Digital equip. query
      Anyone got this file?
      AppleLink ftp site
      Authorware, a Query
      Backdoor to HC2.0?
      Help!! New virus for mac?????
      Help Needed for a good cause
      HP LaserJets
      Inserting file names in Word headers
      MacinTalk (2 msgs)
      MacLab Security
      MacTCP via anonymous FTP??
      Mac to IIGS connection??
      MBTI Scoring
      Memory and the IIsi
      paint II/network problem
      Power Key on Non-II
      Printing program solved...thanks!
      Seattle font appears in the LaserWriter
      Statistical software for Mac's
      Use of Mews and netnews reader

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 09:56:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Adam C. Gross" <ag3j+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Accessing Chooser "User Name" using Toolbox calls

The Chooser User Name is stored as a STR# rsrc in your system file.  I'm
not sure what ID it is (although I know it is a negitive number, as are
all system rsrc).. if you poke around your system file STR#'s you should
be able to find the ID fairly easily..

Look at IM Vol I to learn about reading in a STR# rsrc..

Adam C. Gross
Carnegie Mellon University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 15:38 ADT
From: "Philip M. Howard, Academic User Services" <PHOWARD%HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Analog/Digital equip. query

We have a faculty member who intends to analyze a variety of physiological,
analog data from a Grass 7 B Polygraph, using a low level DC preamp and various
transducers.

He plans to use GW Instruments for A to D conversion to a Mac IIci and
superscope, with

GWI 625 Mac Adios 50JI-29                    1490.00
GWI AEB0 Analog Breakout Board 109-7           90.00
GWI 34W ribbon cable                           50.00
GWI ss Superscope 109-F                       990.00

The question is, is there better, that is, more versatile, more durable,
"friendlier", or less expensive, hardware and software?

If you have any experience with this kind of thing or if you know of anyone
who has done anything like this, please let me know where/how to contact them.
Thanks in advance.

Philip Howard
Technical Support Analyst
Saint Marys's University
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Please reply directly to:
PHOWARD@HUSKY1.STMARYS.CA

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 12:16 CST
From: SAWATZKYJ%sask.usask.ca@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Anyone got this file?

        I am looking for an FKey called MFDetective.  When invoked it is suppose
   to throw a memory map up on screen showing how your programs are allocated in
memory.  If anyone has this or something like it I would very much appreciate it
if you could upload it to the archives.

        By the way, in response to a previous posting on Disk Doubler by Salient
   I would like to add my praise of this excellent program.  I regularily get 30
   -40percent compression an all my files using Method B compression and often 6
   0-80%
compression on some text and word processing files.  All this and incredible
speed too.  I have about 60Meg of files and programs on my 40Meg HD and still
have about 10Meg free!
        Disclaimer:  I have no connection with Salient other than being a very
                     satisfied customer.

Brad Sawatzky
(e-mail address in header)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 20:37:26 EDT
From: wang@pennmess.physics.upenn.edu ( Huangxin Wang)
Subject: AppleLink ftp site

Can anyone tell me the ftp site address for AppleLink?  According to
D e v e l o p magazine, all the software on the CD disk come with each issue
can also be ftp'ed from AppleLink anonymous ftp site.

		Huangxin Wang, University of Pennsylvania

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 16:20:42 cdt
From: hlt@iapic.cvm.uiuc.edu (Harold L. Trammel)
Subject: Authorware, a Query

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>I'm interested in anyone's opinion of/experiences with Authorware Academic,
>especially in comparison with Hypercard.

We received an on-campus Apple Seedlings grant to compare the
overall value of three (maybe four) approaches to learning how to
identify and treat animals poisoned with plants.  We are going to
split a junior veterinary toxicology into 3 (4?) sections and give
the sections one of the following:
		- Traditional handout with text and graphics; higher level
		educational objectives list.
		- Guide 2.0 hypertext file containing the same information
		as the handout; higher level educational objectives list.
		Premise is that students will browse through the hypertext
		to gain the knowledge needed.
		- Authorware application with simulations of poisoned
		animals and access to the handout material on-line as
		references; _no_ educational objectives handed out. Premise
		is that need-to-know is more of a stimulus for higher level
		learning than stated objectives.
		- (MAYBE, IF THERE IS TIME, IF VERSION 2.0 REALLY EXISTS)
		Hypercard 2.0 based simulation like Authorware.

I have the Authorware Academic package and am impressed.  The
documentation is the best I have ever seen.  You would think that
a PhD in Education wrote it (I understand that 3 did).  In
contrast to Hypercard, it is easy to see were you are as you write
the program ("write" and "program" are loosely used).  The
functions are in clean modules with an excellent environment,
high degree of point-click-fill blank.  There are some things that
you cannot do with Authorware easily that you can in Hypercard.
But Authorware has a large number of things in place that would
require years of work (or access to a HC Guru and his XCMD/XFCN
library).

This is the down side.  Authorware can do a lot and many
capabilities mean more things to learn.  While the manuals are
great for teaching how to do it, you need time to put it all
together.  I'm still working at it but could probably learn most
in a week of concentrated effort (who has a week to spare B-) )

You can compile the lesson into a non-editable, double-click
application.  Still not there with Hypercard.

Hypercard is free on one side but could work you hard to get what
is built into Authorware.

Send me e-mail in a few months and maybe I'll be able to tell you
more.

harold trammel

Harold L. Trammel	hlt@iapic.cvm.uiuc.edu
IAPIC-CVM
Univ. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 17:09:38 -0400
From: bda@uengr.calvin.edu (Bruce Abernethy)
Subject: Backdoor to HC2.0?

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my posting.  I am now up
and running with HyperCard 2.0.  I know there are quite a few people who
would like to do the same thing.  Here is basically what you need to do.

There are 2 possible ways to go about it, well 3 if you count waiting for
Apple or APDA to begin shipping the product.

(1) Go and join your local MUG (Mac Users Group) and bring 5 blank disks
    to copy all of the files.  This probably the best way of getting going
    if you have the time and a local MUG.*

(2) Get a copy of the 1 disk runtime version from your local dealer.  They
    will usually let you copy the HC2.0 binary, the bare-bones Home stack
    and the two starter stacks.  Set the userlevel to 5 (by either importing
    a 1.2.x stack which does this, using the message box, or running the new
    PD stack called "The Liberator.").  Remove the hidden buttons which limit
    the stack from attaining userlevel 5.  Happy scripting.

*p.s While you are at your local dealer you will want to get System 6.0.7.

Either way you will need a manual to use some of the neat new features to
their full advantage (however, there is a HyperTalk Help stack which is fairly
extensive).  There are three or four good books out there on HC2.0.  There
is "Cooking with HC2.0," "HC2.0 the Book," and a few others.  Some even come
with a disk (the "Cooking" one I believe) which will help you get going.

If you take route (2) you will want to get the 5 disk version as soon as
possible.  I plan on buying my copy as soon as it is available.  Not only
for the extra stacks, utilities, and documents, but for the support through
Claris that we will supposedly be able to get.  Without some of the stacks you
will not be able to do some of the fancy stuff (palettes, menus, etc. . .) but
you can get a good start.

>From what I have been able to accomplish in two days I am very pleased and
excited.  The report routines, the interactive script editor, the icon editor,
multiple stacks, and the list goes on of impressive new features.

Bruce
Bruce Abernethy, Calvin College, Computer Center Hotline, Grand Rapids, MI
<bda@uengr.calvin.edu>                                      (616) 957-8555

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 14:27 GMT +1
From: Fabio Viviani <EIFV%EICLUS.CSELT.STET.IT@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Help!! New virus for mac?????

Yesterday, after booting my Mac SE/30 I discovered that a few
files/folder were missing, I first tried to rebuild the desktop
file (via the Command-open apple keys) but I got an error message
saying (this is not the exact message-it is a translation from
Italian) "The desktop file couldn't be created on .......
(file(s)/folder(s) missing)".
After that I discovered that some files and folders began to
disappear and reappear randomly: I got some dozen times the
error message "The Folder/disk ..... couldn't be opened (the
file/folder is missing".
I could recover all the missing files copying them onto another
hard disk using "Recover HFS" from "MacZap 5.0".
Finally I tested the disk using SUM disk clinic and its report
was horrible:
"Bad first block of bit map
Volume info block is bad
Allocation map is invalid
directory is bad"

The problem of missing files appeared also onto other Mac's in my
company.

Since I rebuilt my hard disk less than a month ago (reformatting
the disk and restoring files from floppies) I can hardly believe
that the disk has become corrupted due to usage.

I'm thinking about a new virus, so I downloaded Disinfectant 2.3:
it didn' t find any problem onto the disk.

Did anybody hear of similar problems?

Helps and hints will be greately appreciated.

Thank you.

                                Fabio Viviani
                                CSELT - Turin, Italy
                                EIFV@EICLUS.CSELT.STET.IT

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 16:26:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Gordon Maskew Fair, III" <gf07+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Help Needed for a good cause

Hello,

  Would you be able to donate a MacPlus (or better) and/or a small Mac
Hard Disk Drive and/or a Mac Printer to a good cause?

Here's the story:
  I am working in the university for a group that helps out various
manufacturing companies within the Pittsburgh area.  Our group transfers
technology to these companies so that they will have a fighting chance
within the U.S.A. and internationally.  We do anything from a study to
the full implementation of a project for these companies.

  Our boss actually linked us up with one company that we made a study
for free because of the companies set up and situation.  It is headed by
one super fantastic sweet man who is handicapped and wants to help the
handicapped population work.  The employees (usually about 15 to 30) of
the company are mostly handicapped both mentally and physically and they
work with assembling mostly childs toys.  This company has been around
for about 2 years now and has many problems for its future existence.

  One of the major problems is the manager has no time especially
because he does not have a computer.  He doesn't really know computers
at all but would be super greatful if they would free him the massive
amounts of time that he wastes with manually logging people's hours,
manually tallying up paychecks, following projects both past and present
through his memory ...  The requirements would really be a simple user
friendly interface to a spreadsheet system and a printer so that
everything could be printed out.  That's where this post comes in.

  Unfortunately our group can not fund this, being at a university with
limited funding and all.If you or anyone that you know have one of the
devices or something comparable the company would be greatful.  Or if
you have any ideas of what we could do to solve this situation it would
be very appreciated.

  If you're interested I can send you information that you need.

thank you very, very much in advance

Gordon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90  16:21:33 CST
From: "Bruce Faulkner  <SGBKF%TTUVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>" <SGBKF%TTUVM1.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: HP LaserJets

Has anyone used Grappler LQ or LS, MacJet, or MacPrint with a HP LaserJet
II or III?

Thanks

Bruce Faulkner
SGBKF@TTUVM1  ttu.ttuvm1.edu
WHALE@TTACS1  ttu.ttacs1.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 11:03:21 PDT
From: Paul Romaniuk <PROMAN%UVVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Inserting file names in Word headers

Well, I looked in the online help, and the manual, but I can't find any
mention of how to automatically insert the current file name into the
header of a Word document (the same way you can insert today's date or
automatic page number).  Any suggestions?

Paul

Paul J. Romaniuk     Biochemistry/Microbiology   University of Victoria
.                    Bitnet: PROMAN@UVVM                                .
.                    Internet: PROMAN@UVVM.UVic.CA                      .
.                    Phone: (604) 721-7088                              .
.                    FAX: (604) 721-8855                                .
Acknowledge-To: <PROMAN@UVVM>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 13:06 CDT
From: The Eternal Romantic Hormone <KG0041A%DRAKE.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacinTalk

'Netters,

Sorry for that last post of mine.  Apparenty out of a friend of mine and I,
one of us is confused, and I think it's me.  Originally, I thought he said the
reason Crystal Quest was having sound problems under 7.0a was because of the
new sound manager.  Now I hear that the new sound manager wasn't ready in
time for the release, and 7.0a doesn't have it.  Contrary to what I said,
Macintalk _will_ crash under the new sound manager, in 6.0.7 and in 7.0
when it comes.  Many apologies as I suffer from foot-in-mouth disease...

*Kyle Griffin                "No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity,*
*(515) 271-2695               But I know none, and therefore am no beast."    *
*Kg0041a @ Drake                       -Richard III - William Shakespeare     *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 1990 12:20:34 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)

> Second, my statement that 6.0.7 would break MacinTalk came from a recent
> issue of InfoWorld.  Does 7.0a include the new Sound Manager? I'd assume
> it does, but I'm not a developer, so I haven't seen all the specs. If
> <KG0041A@DRAKE.BITNET> is indeed running with the new Sound Manager,
> then I guess InfoWorld was wrong.  However, MacinTalk is still
> unsupported, so it's probably not a good idea to rely on it when
> developing new applications.

There have been mixed stories about this.  Early this year, Apple issued
a tech note which stated in no uncertain terms that the System 7.0 Sound
Manager would really, truly, no-foolin' do away with the old direct-
access-to-the-sound-hardware emulation mode which Macintalk depended
upon when running on Mac IIs and other machines with the Apple Sound
Chip.  It was stated clearly and definitely that Macintalk _would_ stop
working under System 7.0.  Period.  End of issue.

... except that it ain't necessarily so.  In one of the discussions at
the May '90 Worldwide Developers Conference, the developers on the panel
alluded to the fact that the old Sound Driver emulation was still in
place.  I went over to the floor-mikes and queried them further about
this... mentioning the very-strongly-worded Tech Note issued a few
months earlier, and asking "Does what you're saying mean that the
warnings in this Tech Note should be considered inoperative?"

The answer added up to "Yes, that Tech Note is inoperative.  Macintalk
will continue to work under the System 7.0 Sound Manager... at least for
the time being.  No promises about the future, though."

It's definitely not a good idea to rely upon Macintalk for new
applications.  Apple was (as of the WWDC in May) demonstrating a
prototype of a new text-to-speech technology, which _might_ end up as
part of the product line at some indeterminate point in the future.
Once again, no promises were made!

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 02:10 EST
From: "Jeffrey S. Swayze" <V121Q3KT%UBVMS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacLab Security

Dear INFO-MACers,

    I am system administrator and consultant at a Mac lab at the State
University of New York at Buffalo.  The lab runs 18 Macs, 3 LaserWriter +s, and
a file server with a 20 meg hard drive.  I have just implemented a new system
where each user, as he or she signs into the lab, is given a system disk
corresponding to the machine he/she is assigned to.  This disk contains all the
basics, plus ChooserUser, a great little CDEV that password-protects the
username.  The whole goal of this new system is to catch people trying to get
away with not paying for laser output (@ $.10/page).  We have installed a
program called NetCounter to keep track of the number of printouts each user
has made on each printer (hence the reason for the locked user name).

    Now for the meat of my request. There are several problems that I have run
into, and I would like to hear from anyone who has dealt with these problems,
or any other security-related dilemmas faced in the lab situation.

    1. I would like to deny the user's access to the control panel, and still
       allow myself or other consultants to be able to change it's settings
       (password-protect a DA?).

    2. Because we offer Word Perfect, temporary files need to be written to the
       system disk.  This kills the idea of just locking the disk and pulling
       out the tab.  Is there a way, possibly using the Set Paths utility, to
       re-route these temporary files to a reserved folder (owned by the disk's
       unique username) on the server?

    Please bear in mind that any solutions must be valid for an 800K disk
containing system 6.04 and all printer files.

    I realize that this is a tall order (not to mention a lengthy one) and
offer my thanks to those stoics who managed to read this thing all the way
through.  I would appreciate ANY feedback, whether it be a solution to my
problem, or just discussion of any of these topics in general.

                        Thank you for your time,
                                                 Jeff Swayze

   * V121Q3KT@UBVMS.BITNET           *  Sorry, I don't have anything  *
   * SWAYZE@AUTARCH.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU *  enlightening to write in this *
   *                                 *  box - I'm new at this!        *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 18:13:44 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: MacTCP via anonymous FTP??

Barry A. Shoenfelner said in a recent posting that he had obtained
MacFTP via anonymous FTP.  I thought MacFTP was being sold by APDA
at $100 a pop.

Question 1: Is this a legal way to get MacFTP?

Question 2: What FTP server is it on?

- -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - --
Joshua Yeidel                         YEIDEL@WSUVM1.BITNET
Academic Computing Services           YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
Washington State University           (509) 335-0441
Pullman, WA 99164-1226
DISCLAIMER: I'm speaking solely for myself here, not Washington State U.
-- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- -

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 16:19 EDT
From: "Harry E. Bates" <E7P2BAT@toe.towson.edu>
Subject: Mac to IIGS connection??

Can anyone give me information on how to hook up a Mac to a IIGS?
I would like to connect the printer port of the Mac to the printer
port of the IIGS and then do PR#1 and IN#1 from Applesoft and
take control of the IIGS through the use of a terminal program
on the Mac.  Is this possible? What kind of cable do I need to do
this??

Thanks in advance for your help!

Harry E. Bates
Department of Physics
Towson State University
Baltimore, MD 21204
Bitnet: HBATES@TOWSONVX

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 16:00 CST
From: BPRODEN%UALR.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: MBTI Scoring

I am working on a Macintosh program for scoring Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
tests.  I have some work completed.  I would appreciate any suggestions for
features to be included in the program.  The program will be distributed
on either a shareware or freeware basis when completed.

Brian P. Roden
U of Arkansas at Little Rock

------------------------------

Date: 25 Oct 90 10:28:00 MDT
From: "5268 Spires, Shannon V." <svspire@sandia.gov>
Subject: Memory and the IIsi

In V8, #177, DAVE@gergo.tamu.edu (Dave Martin) asks:
> Which SIMMs are needed for the IIsi (speed, etc.) and
> in what increments can the memory be upgraded?

According to the product brochure for the IIsi, here's the story:

    "The Macintosh IIsi comes with 1 megabyte of RAM on the main logic
    board. Up to 16 megabytes of RAM can be added by installing Single
    In-Line Memory Modules (SIMMs). Some possible configurations
    include:
    -2 megabytes (1 megabyte on main logic board; four 256K SIMMs)
    -3 megabytes (1 megabyte on main logic board; four 512K SIMMs [
        Huh? What's a 512K SIMM? That's what it says.] )
    -5 megabytes (1 megabyte on main logic board; four 1-megabyte
        SIMMs)
    -9 megabytes (1 megabyte on main logic board; four 2-megabyte
        SIMMs [ Same question] )
    -17 megabytes (1 megabyte on main logic board; four 4-megabyte
        SIMMs)

    The Macintosh IIsi uses 100-nanosecond (or faster) fast-paged mode
    RAM."

--
Shannon Spires
Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 17:12:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Karen Lukas <kl0z+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: paint II/network problem

A college with which I work has the following problem using MacPaint II
on an Appleshare network:

They can create and save a file, but cannot save a changed version of
the file under the same name.  Save As works to create a new file.  They
can open the file normally by double-clicking on the file icon.
MacPaint works normally on a stand-alone system, they only have a
problem when the application is on located on the server.  The
application and file are not locked, and they are not infected with
anything.  They do not have the problem with any other application,
including other Claris products.  I don't know what version of the
system they are running.

Has anyone had a similar problem?  Does anyone have a solution to the
problem?  Can anyone suggest things we should investigate to solve the
problem?

Thank you,

Karen Lukas
Consortium for Computing in Undergraduate Education

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 14:04:47 edt
From: "Alan D Danziger" <aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>
Subject: Power Key on Non-II

The problem with the power-key on the non-Mac II's is that it is not
hardware supported.  In the Mac II family, the power supply is set to
switch off via software, and on via the ADB signal, as well as through
the switch on the back.
For the SE series (including SE/30), there is a piece of hardware
called "PowerKey" (from a company whose name I can't remember) which
you plug your mac and up to three additional devices into, and which
you also plug your keyboard and Mac into, and it will catch the ADB
signal from the keyboard and turn on the power.  You can also
configure it to turn on the mac at various times, and turn itself off
as well.

Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | No Jacket
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University | Required.
(617) 894-6859              | PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254  |   Phil C.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 8:29:26 EDT
From: CON-ETDL-COM <contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: Printing program solved...thanks!

 Thanks to those who helped point out the PrintDefault() programming
 problem.

 The sample code has a typo in it

        gPrintRecordH = (THPrint)NewHandle(sizeof(THPrint));
                                                   ^ no "H"

 As was pointed out, the THPrint is a handle to a TPrint print structure.

 Thanks again; don't you just hate typos?!?!
-------------
 George F Tempel, Vitronics, Inc | internet: contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil
 AppleLink: D4775, America OnLine: gftempel4 , Compuserve: 76047,70
[ end ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 20:51:09 GMT
From: millipore!millipore.com!blu@samsung.com (Brian Utterback)
Subject: Seattle font appears in the LaserWriter
Here's an interesting item which may have already been discussed.  One of our
users here was using LaserStatus from CE software and noticed that it said
that his laserprinter had the Seattle font loaded.  A little snooping around
showed that almost all of our laserprinters had it loaded! If you power cycle
the laserprinter it won`t have the font, but after printing to it there Seattle
will be!

As I recall, Seattle was distributed with Multiplan as a 9 point font so you
could do larger spreadsheets on the small screen.  It seems as if the Laser
driver is downloading it now.  Anyone know why? Is it necessary?

--
Brian Utterback, Millipore Corporation, 75G Wiggins Ave., Bedford Ma. 01730
Work:617-275-9200x8245, Home:603-891-2536

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 13:47 EST
From: Bob Stodola <STODOLA@fccc.edu>
Subject: Statistical software for Mac's

One of our visiting scientists is returning to Japan and would like to take
back statistical software for his Mac to do Kaplan-Meier or actuarial plots
and log-rank analyses.  Most of our statisticians are mainframe/PC based, and
not very familiar with Mac software.  Can anyone give me a fast rundown
on statistical packages which might address these?  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 90 18:07:39 CDT
From: jens@mot.com (Jens von der Heide)
Subject: Use of Mews and netnews reader

	Sadly, neither HyperCard news reader you mention use the "Hosts"
file.

	They both use XCMD TCPNameToAddr which has three parameters, the third
being the name of the "Hosts" text file...Unfortunately, neither offer
a normal config parameter for the end user to force them to use the
"Hosts" file.  By default, the XCMD makes the "Hosts" file location null.

	You can modify the HyperCard scripts directly by setting the
UserLevel to 5, then find the calls to TCPNameToAddr.

End of Info-Mac Digest