Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/03/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri,  2 Nov 90       Volume 8 : Issue 179

Today's Topics:

      ATM1.2/Sys6.0.7/QuantumThanks
      Disappearing Laserwriter
      Fonmania solution is DAFont3
      HC2.0 Audio Palette
      HC 2.0 Upgrade Policy
      How long
      Listserver Punch format revisited
      Look for System "pokers and prodders" (repost)
      Macintalk
      Mouse Odometer Readings
      OzTeX 1.3
      printing IBM Post script files (2 msgs)
      Print Server problems
      Problem with SIT Deluxe
      ResEdit
      Setting userLevel in HC 2.0
      Sound digitizer question
      Still No Joy
      Text Editors
      The tab key and HC
      Virus info
      White Knight update wanted

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 90 14:26:18 EDT
From: rudman@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daniel Edward Rudman)
Subject: ATM1.2/Sys6.0.7/QuantumThanks

Model           Macintosh SE/30
Memory Limit    5Mb RAM
Drive Space     40Mb internal Quantum
-------------------------------------
INITs installed BackDrop, Init CDEV 3.0, B.A.D., DiskDoubler INIT, Facade,
                Safe Eject, SCSI Parker, SuperClock! 3.9, SuperSpool,
                WatchINIT 5.0, ~AltWDEF 1.5.3, ~ATM 1.2, and Disinfectant INIT

CDEVs installed Boomerang, LockDisk, Pyro! 4.0, and UnScrolly.

Ram Cache @     128k

ATM Cache @     128k
------------------------------------
System Version 6.0.7
Finder Version 6.1.7
------------------------------------

I just installed System 6.0.7 last night, and this morning I noticed Pyro!
4.0's Marquee module (which was supposed to display nice 127 point Helvectica
Bold ATM Fonts) was showing some rather UGLY looking font displays. I tried
systematically removing INITs and CDEVs, even getting as drastic as removing
EVERYTHING except ATM 1.2, which was to no avail. I AM USING MASTERJUGGLER
v1.01.

Does anyone know why ATM 1.2 doesn't seem to be supported in System 6.0.7, or
can anyone at least let me know if they've experienced similar problems and
how you've fixed them? I appreciate it greatly.

Also:

Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to reply to my Hard Drive Blues inquiry.
Mhe resulting information was that,
My problem was that I was hearing strange noises coming from the drive,
but the drive light as not going on and the noise was sporadic. Thanks to
the many experts and experiencers on this, I have learned that this is due
to a ROM routine which Apple installed to fix a lubrication-problem with their
Quantum drives... the ROM routine causes the head to move around in order to
spread the lubricant, and hence the sporadic, non-read/write action.

Thanks again.

Daniel E. Rudman
The University of Michigan
Electrical Engineering Department
CAEN Macintosh Support

P.S. I do realize that the INIT/CDEV list is screwed up... I have to fix that
     seeing as how a LOT of those INITs are really CDEVs... forgive and forget.

REQUEST: I believe After Dark is SHAREWARE... could somebody PLEASE put this
         in the archives as I believe it was a VERY "hot" item. Thank You.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 90 15:55:22 EDT
From: Tom Prusa <TPRUSA@sbccvm>
Subject: Disappearing Laserwriter

Hello,
      My Mac SE30 seems unable to recognize that my LaserWriter Plus
is attached.  It has worked just fine until today when after printing
a few MS Word documents in the morning (and then turning the printer off)
I could later not get the Mac to recognize the Laserwriter (after turning
it back on).... I've checked the Appletalk connectors and they all
seem to be okay.... any ideas... PLEASE!!!

                                     tom prusa

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Oct 90 15:00:00 EDT
From: Marvyn <ST401832@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: Fonmania solution is DAFont3

Hi Greg,
   DAFont3 will do exactly what you are trying to do. It will print a sentence
in all available fonts either to the screen or to your printer.

Marvyn Steele
St401832 @ Brownvm

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Oct 90 17:07:15 -0400
From: bda@uengr.calvin.edu (Bruce Abernethy)
Subject: HC2.0 Audio Palette

Has anyone seen the Audio Palette that was demoed during the 10/15 product
rollout.  I have heard that the new Macs come with a postcard or something
that you can send in if you want it.  I was just wondering what features
it had so I don't design something that will do less and not as well as
the one from Apple.

Bruce Abernethy
Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI 49512
Computer Center Hotline
<bda@uengr.calvin.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 23:05:36 CDT
From: schultz@pollux.math.iastate.edu
Subject: HC 2.0 Upgrade Policy

The following is a summary of my exchange with Kevin Calhoun, lead engineer
for HyperCard 2.0, concerning the upgrade policy for HC 2.0.
He has been an excellent help and took the time to reply right away to my
questions.  Some Apple employees still seem to care.  Thanks!

1. What is the HyperCard upgrade policy for those who got it with their
computer or who were honest enough to buy it?

If you obtained a copy of HyperCard 1.x either when you bought a Mac CPU or
by buying the standalone HyperCard package, then you are eligible for an
upgrade from Claris, which will cost $49.  The upgrade package will include
five disks (HyperCard, HyperCard Help, Stacks, More Stacks, and Your Tour
of HyperCard) and two manuals (a short overview of new features and the new
script language guide).
Claris is not yet taking orders for the upgrade package.

2. What are dealers allowed to distribute? The new Macs apparently only
come with Hypercard, Home, Appointments, Address.

HyperCard 2.0 in an Apple box, which Apple dealers have on their lists as a
real product at a suggested retail price of $49, has been canceled. When
HyperCard 2.0 is available in a Claris box, then dealers can sell it to
you.
It has been the policy in the past to encourage dealers to allow customers
to copy the HyperCard disks free of charge. However, this policy has been
discontinued.
In other words, at this time, dealers have nothing they're allowed to
distribute.

3. What are user groups allowed to distribute?

User groups that have licenses from Apple to distribute HyperCard can do so
at whatever price they set until the end of calendar year 1990,\ which is
when the license agreements expire. User groups that have such licenses
were sent the full five-disk set.

4. What is this user group license? Is it still possible to get one? If so
how and for how much?

I don't know whether it is still possible for a user group to obtain a
license to distribute HyperCard.  You might try contacting Apple Software
Licensing, Mail Stop 38-I, Apple Computer, Inc., 20525 Mariani Ave.,
Cupertino, CA 95014.

5. What additional stacks/tools/support is Claris going to provide?

This has not yet been decided.

6. Will these policies change when Claris takes over?

These are the new policies instituted by Claris, which has already taken
over the distribution and marketing of HyperCard 2.0.

7. On a personal note, I think HyperCard is great product.  The update
makes it even greater (congratulations to those who worked on it - it was
worth the wait).  However, from the feedback I have been getting, I think
many will be disappointed if there is a fee for the upgrade.  In my opinion
everyone, including Apple, gains from the free distribution of HyperCard
and the example stacks.  I have yet to see one person who is not impressed
by the Train or the Puzzle stacks.  I don't want to be sour or gready.  I
just everyone to benefit from HyperCard.

You won't get any argument from me.

I hope this helps clarify matters for others as it has for me.
Am I naive to think that both Apple and HC users would gain more from a
free upgrade?

/************************************************************************/
/* Jonathan Schultz                                                     */
/* internet: schultz@pollux.math.iastate.edu   (Iowa State University)  */
/* US Mail: 1209 North Dakota Ave #6                                    */
/*          Ames,  IA 50010                                             */
/*          (515) 292-3814                                              */
/************************************************************************/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 90 14:32:49 EDT
From: Kathy DuBose <DUBOSE%AKRONVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: How long

Hi,

Does anyone have or know of software that keeps track of how much time
is spent in an application?  Someone suggested a package called Macinuse.
But I haven't seen or heard anything else about it.

I would appreciated any help that you could give me.

Kathy

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 90 17:54 +0100
From: Pieter Stouten <STOUTEN%EMBL.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Listserver Punch format revisited

In Info-Mac Digest, Wed 10 Oct 90, Volume 8 : Issue 169
Michael W. Wheeler <mww@tntech.bitnet> writes:

>>...or sometimes I
>>try to decode a binhex file and I get an EOF error.
>>

> [stuff deleted]
>
>Now, about that EOF error; that is probably caused by the binhex file
>not having a line that *BEGINS* with
>(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)
>If it cannot find the above line left justified it will read all the way
>to the end of the file tring to find it to no avail hence the EOF error
>message.  One reason for this might be that the file might have been send
>to you in "Listserv-Punch" format or "LPunch" format. This is done for files
>that have records larger than 80 characters. For instance the game GO.HQX was
>sent to me this way.  So you must first unLPunch it with some utility. I wrote
>my own program to do it because I couldn't find one anywhere.

First of all, I should say that a BinHex file does not have to begin with
the line: "(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)". As far as I know
the first colon (":") in the file is regarded as the beginning of the
BinHex-encoded information.

Secondly, if you are on a bitnet node you can easily avoid getting files in
LPunch (=Listserv Punch) format by specifying that you want the file sent in
Netdata format (132, 136, 137 or so characters per line). A sample line to
be sent to listserv@rice looks like:
$MACA GET /HELP/ALL-FILES.TXT F=NETDATA
This overwrites the default format for files with lines of over 80 characters.

If for some reason you can get only LPunch formatted files then two conversion
programs written by the author of Listserv Eric Thomas <eric@frecp11.bitnet>
are readily available (one in Pascal, the other one in C). They can be obtained
>From the nearest listserver by sending either of the following commands:
GET LISTLPUN MEMO
INFO LPUNCH

Hope this is of use.

Pieter Stouten
<stouten@embl.bitnet>
<stouten@embl-heidelberg.de>
<stouten@felix.embl-heidelberg.de>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Oct 90 22:44:16 -0500
From: fgodfrey@rodan.acs.syr.edu
Subject: Look for System "pokers and prodders" (repost)

This a repost because the original message didn't make for some reason and
a revision (to conserve disk spave I erased the text).

Does anybody know where I can find the current version of utilities like
ResEdit, DiskEdit and others programs that do things suck as check memory and
display what cards are currently installed?

Please respond on E-mail and I'll summarize my findings and post them on the
list.

Thanx a lot!

"Be seeing you."
Francis N. Godfrey |Computing and Network Services|"It was the server
Syracuse University|Micro Cluster Support         |      that did it"-Mystery
fgodfrey@SUVM.BITNET  ATTACHTO Standard.disclaimer|fgodfrey@rodan.acs.syr.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 90 10:42:04 GMT
From: Michael Everson <MEVERC95%IRLEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Macintalk

OK, so Apple doesn't support Macintalk. What should we use if we want our
computers to talk? Surely Apple knows there's a need for and a pleasure
in talking computers (we're trying to teach one Irish here). And is there
any Talker which allows you to ask the Macintalk or other utility to
speak PHONETICALLY rather than by spelling?

Michael Everson

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Oct 90 20:50:12 EST
From: Rob Szarek <413077%UOTTAWA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mouse Odometer Readings

I've been mousing with mouse odometer and found something odd.
If I'm not mistaken there should be about 5280 feet in a mile.
Multiply 5280 by 12 inch per foot , I get -> 63360 inches.

My question is why do I have to travel 100000 inches in the mouse
odometer to get 1 mile ? When I zip a diagonal on my SE/30 it
reads approx 9 inches. So somebody needs to check their
conversion factors.

Funny I never thought I'd travel that much in 2 weeks with a
mouse/trackball.

Rob Szarek
CSI, U of Ottawa

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 90 14:25:05 CDT
From: "OzTeX Distributor" <oztex@midway.uchicago.edu>
Subject: OzTeX 1.3

The new release of OzTeX (Version 1.3) is now available for anonymous ftp
>From midway.uchicago.edu (in the pub/OzTeX heierarchy).  OzTeX is a free
version of D. Knuth's typsetting language TeX for the Macintosh.  Version
1.3 has significant improvements over version 1.2; in particular it
incorporates TeX 3.0 changes and can be configured in "large" versions
that can handle huge macro packages.  (In particular, I have tested it
successfully with LamsTeX).

OzTeX was written by Andrew Trevorrow, who certainly deserves praise and
thanks for his hard work on this project and for making the fruits of his
labour freely available!

OzTeX should work on any Macintosh Plus, SE, II or newer model.  It will
not work on a 128K or 512K Mac. OzTeX was developed on a Mac Plus with 1
Meg of RAM and a 20 Meg hard disk. This is just about the minimum hardware
configuration, given the large amount of memory required to run OzTeX and
the large amount of disk space needed to store  all the font information.
OzTeX uses standard pk fonts and tfm files (easily ported from mainframe
versions) and creates standard dvi files (which are easily ported to other
platforms).

The application includes a DVI previewer, a PostScript
driver, and of course TeX (including IniTeX so it is possible to dump
preloaded formats).

For more information get the README file from midway!

For rudimentary support and additional information, send mail to
oztex@midway.uchicago.edu.

--Walter

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 1990 07:05:15 PST
From: R._Mitchell_VanDuyn.Henr801C@xerox.com
Subject: printing IBM Post script files

Hello,

Is it possible to take a postscript file generated on an IBM PC and send it out
to a  laser writter via a macintosh?  Is there a program on either the mac or
the PC to add the necessary header, etc?

Mitch

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 1990 11:23:11 PST
From: Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com

Mitch,

   Yes, it is definately possible to send IBM-PC generated PS files to a
LaserWriter via the Mac.  How this is done is VERY dependant on what software
you've used to create the file on a PC.  Some transfer situations would be
blindingly simple.... others would be tedious (but possible).

   Give me an idea what software you're using... and a short run-down of the
equiptment (both IBM and Mac)... and I can, hopefully, give you step-by-step
instructions on the particular process you'd have to use.

   Our lab, here, has done some rather intriguing translations to help us in
our work. Including ViewPoint screen captures and other Freehand files to Mac,
as well as text files for documentation. I, personally, have had to ponder
several IBM to Mac translations as well.

   If you haven't already received information on how to perform the
translation you're interested in, give us a ring.

               Carl Steinhilber
               net address: Stein:OSBU South:Xerox
               messaging tool:101.25220377215.0

               IDHI/ West, El Segundo
               Systems Operability Group  (SOGroup)
               group DL:  HI-ES:DSBO:Xerox

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 90 01:52:46 EST
From: Peter Sweeney <PS9ZRHMC%MIAMIU.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Print Server problems

Hello from Miami in Oxford, Ohio.

We have a lab of 25 SEs and a CX.  We have two ImageWriter IIs
and a QMS-PS 2210 Laser Printer.  We have a Star Controller.
All of our printers are on one leg of the Star Controller
along with the the Spooler.  We are using Apple's Print
Server Software version 2.0.  Because the ImageWriters
were acting weird, we "captured" them and allowed printing.
So, when a student prints to an ImageWriter, he/she is
actually printing to the spooler, which then prints to
the ImageWriter.  Wow, is this slow.  We do not have an
alternative, it seems.  If printing is not regulated
by the Print Server, the printers will usually print half
a page and then give up.

(In order to regulate laser printing, we
allow spooling, but not printing.  Every fifteen minutes,
a consultant will allow printing to the laser printer,
and charge for each page printed.  Clunky, but it works.)

We've been running a beta-version of TrafficWatch to see what kind
of activity we've been getting on the network.  It turns out that
the spoolers are dominating network activity.  Even when nothing
is being printed! We have considered buying a bridge for the
ImageWriters, but this is a rather expensive solution.

I'm wondering if there is some other solution available?
Is this an optimal set-up for the lab?
I'm wondering if perhaps placing the Print Spooler on a
Ram Disk, using the RamDisk+ program is feasible/practical, and
whether it will solve my problem?

Any response is welcome.
Peter Sweeney                   |
Assistant Network Administrator |
200 Elliott Hall                | BITNET:ps9zrhmc@miamiu
Miami University                |
Oxford, Ohio 45056              | INTERNET:ps9zrhmc@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
(513) 529-3982                  |

------------------------------

Date: 25 Oct 90 18:09:00 GMT-9:00
From: "SADLER JOEL C" <asjcs1@acad2.anc.alaska.edu>
Subject: Problem with SIT Deluxe

Heyho,

Been having a problem with Stuff-It Deluxe, I think. I have been downloading
files from my local BBS's and such, using Z-modem on my end, and after I have
recieved the file, it is unreadable. When I go to the get-info, it is shown as
a stuffit deluxe file, but when I go to stuffit deluxe, and try to open it, it
is not listed. Have sometimes been sucessful going in and changing the creator
name, which is sometimes, somehow, changed to Sit@ or some other nonsense,
using Desk-Zap. Has anyone else had similar problems? Anyone know what to do?
Ideas? Anything would be muchos appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Joel Sadler
Internet: Asjcs1@acad2.anc.alaska.edu
Bitnet: Asjcs1@alaska

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 90 12:01:04 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ResEdit

To Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@TCSVM>:

You are not exactly right, when you say that ResEdit 2.0b2 is available
for free from many Bulletin Boards. The truth is, that many BBSs allow
you to download ResEdit at no additional charge, provided that you agree
to the licensing agreement posted on the same board. In order to be able
to provide this service to their customers, the owners of the BBS must
obtain a license from Apple's software licensing department (which - as
far as I know - costs $100 per year). This license grants the holder the
right to redistibute ResEdit via modem or on disk (it's essentially the
same license, that 3rd party development systems have to obtain in order
to ship ResEdit with their product).
To sum this legal mubo-jumbo up: the moderators of the Info-Mac archives
would have to obtain such a license in order to be allowed to distribute
ResEdit through the archives.
Or in other words: ResEdit is neither freeware nor PD. Some license-holders
simply have chosen to distribute it as part of their products at no
additional cost - but even the end user is bound to the licensing agreement
with Apple.

Hope this clarifies the situation,

 L  exander
  F alk

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 90 23:04:57 CDT
From: schultz@pollux.math.iastate.edu
Subject: Setting userLevel in HC 2.0

>From: bda@uengr.calvin.edu (Bruce Abernethy)
>Subject: Backdoor to HC2.0?
>
>If it is true that the binaries of HC2.0 (runtime) and HC2.0 (developer ed.)
>are identical and it is simply a different home stack and supporting stacks
>that enable scripting (userlevel 5), then it should be possible to get at the
>scripting capabilities now.  If someone (who has the real HyperCard) could
>write a simple stack which enables userlevel 5 then anyone with HC2.0 could
>begin scripting and get back to work.

It is possible to change the userLevel in the Home stack shipped with Apple
computers.

1. Go to the Home stack
2. Choose "Message" from the "Go" menu (Cmd-M)
3. In the message box type: "set the userLevel to 5"

On the last card ("User Preferences") of the Home stack there are 2 buttons
you can delete ("UserLevel Cover 1" and "UserLevel Cover 2").  With these
buttons deleted you can set any userLevel as ususal.

To my knowledge none of this is "illegal".

/************************************************************************/

Date: 27 Oct 90 21:51:00 EDT
From: "]" <dsmith@guvax.georgetown.edu>
Subject: Sound digitizer question

I have just bought a very used "Impulse Sound Digitizer".  Unfortunately,
I am told that I also need to buy the accompanying software for it, not part
of the deal.  I am unable to find out exactly what kind of software I need,
however.  The closest I can come up with is an article in MacUser 4/88,
which reviews "SoundWave".  It mentions the Impulse digitizer, and the
hardware/software combo appears to have been sold as a package at one time.
I can't find any other references to the company; maybe it's since gone out
of business or stopped distributing this particular product?

Will the digitizer run only with its own software, or can other software be
used?  Can someone direct me to a copy of SoundWave?  Maybe the manufacturer
of the digitizer will sell me a copy of what I need, if only I could figure
out how to get in touch.....

As always, many thanks in advance.

Ben Smith

Internet: EDU%"DSMITH@GUVAX.GEORGETOWN.EDU"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 90 17:25:10 GMT
From: ECL6NB@cms1.ucs.leeds.ac.uk
Subject: Still No Joy

Hello Mac Users

I recently posted a query concerning a problem I was having with downloading Postscript files to a LaserWriter from a Mac. Despite
numerous suggestions (my thanks to all those who replied) and several letters from other people experiencing the same difficulties,
the problem still remains.

A number of people suggested that FontDownloader was the wrong utility for this purpose despite the fact that it has an option for
downloading PS files as well as PS fonts. I have since tried using SendPS and DistillPS to downloading a modified, 'distilled'
version of the file but still without joy.

I've found that SendPS, DistillPS and FontDownloader all work IF I first print out a document on the LaserWriter from within a
Macintosh application. However, if I restart the printer and then try to use them I repeatedly get error messages about an
'invalidaccess'. I wonder how many people think 'their' method works because they've never tried using it immediately after turning
the printer on.

I've tried downloading PS files that have been created using various methods - option K, MyPageSetup, LaserFix and AddLPrep. I've
also read the article 'Imagen-postscript.txt' in the Info-mac archive and followed its suggestions for editing the PS file. This
just produces other error messages about 'stackoverflows'.

One suggestion was to go back to using version 5.2 of the LaserWriter driver. Which apparently works where the later ones don't. I
haven't yet been able to get hold of a copy to try this!

Am I overlooking something very obvious here or doing something very stupid? I admit that I know very little about Postscript but
then I shouldn't need to. That's not the Macintosh Way!

The background to all this is that I need to know how to do it because although my department, the Computing Service, charges people
for printing out to a LaserWriter, other departments in the University allow their students to print out  from mini-computers such
as Vaxes free of charge. Naturally many students would like to use our Macs to produce documents and then FTP the postscript to
other machines.

For their sake..... HELP!

Nigel Bruce
Leeds University
U.K.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 90 14:33:57 EDT
From: Steve Swinnea <swinnea@emx.utexas.edu>
Subject: Text Editors

  Does anyone out there know of a cheap, possibly public domain, text
editor.  Our microlab users are currently using Edit to prepare source
files for input to MacFortran.  The problem is that Edit has problems
with HFS files and thus must reside in the same folder as the files it
edits.  Is there a simple editor out there that can open files, print,
and as a bonus maybe have tabs and parens checking?

Thanks,

     Steve Swinnea
     Dept. Materials Sci. & Engr.
     ETC 9.114
     University of Texas at Austin
     Austin, Texas  78712

     swinnea@emx.utexas.edu
     swinnea@utxvm.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 90 15:10 CST
From: "William R. Hutchison" <HUTCHISON@ucs.uwplatt.edu>
Subject: The tab key and HC

Hello,

   I would like to have a tab key press in a HyperCard field cause
the cursor to go to the next tabstop and not the next field on that
card.  It would equally be nice to have HyperCard include the tab's
when you "paste" text into a field.  I am using HC 2.0 and thought
I read that it was going to have support for tab's in fields?

  Is there anyone out there who has suggestions, or a script, or
possibly a XCMD that will do the above?  Please reply directly to
me and I will summarize for the net.

Thanks,

Bill Hutchison
University of Wisconsin - Platteville
Internet: hutchison@ucs.uwplatt.edu
GEnie    : WRH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 90 09:46:06 PDT
From: Eric_Poustie@cc.sfu.ca
Subject: Virus info

Seems to me there used to be a large document in the Info-Mac archive
that gave an up-to-date breakdown of all known viruses, along with the
best methods of eradication.  Most important of this information (to
me, anyways) was the modus operandi of each.

Can someone please direct me to where this information is now
squirelled away?

| Eric B. Poustie           | My BBS:  Generic  (604) 574-1199   |
| 17342 - 62A Avenue        |------------------------------------|
| Surrey, BC  V3S 5J1       | Hardware used:  Mac SE & AT        |
| Canada                    | Interests:  Macintosh, motorcyling |
|================================================================|
[ These opinions are my own - my wife won't take responsibility! ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 90 02:43:43 EDT
From: "Kirke B. Lawton" <LAWK%UORVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: White Knight update wanted

I have heard that a new White Knight updater is available that converts
11.08 to 11.10.  I would greatly appreciate it if someone could send
a copy to the archives, as the most recent version there is 11.08.

Thanks,
Kirke

End of Info-Mac Digest