Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/07/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue,  6 Nov 90       Volume 8 : Issue 182

Today's Topics:

      [*] ClueSheet 1.06
      [*] Temperature Conversion Stack
      [*] The Elements Stack
      [*] Utility Scripts
      AbSoft Fortran II and Language Systems Fortran 2.1
      Accessing Chooser "User Name" using Toolbox calls
      After Dark and InUse 2.0
      All-in-one, LanWORKS...
      A Picture
      AppleLink site, International Systems
      Code Resources and windows
      Flame on Symantec
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #180
      Inserting file names in Word headers
      Laserwriter Page Break Command
      Menus at the top of 2 monitors
      Mouse recommendations wanted
      OS 6.0.7 causes GateKeeper 1.1.1 to give false alarm
      Query: re-direct printer output to disk?
      Ricoh 50MB Removable Drives Info Wanted
      Shanghai 2.0 bugs?
      Statistics software reference
      Strange Hard Drive Crash
      System Crash = Bad Video Card?
      TV monitor card for Mac?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 10 Sep 90 16:05:17 PDT
From: Glenn Trewitt <trewitt@wrl.dec.com>
Subject: [*] ClueSheet 1.06

I'm sending this in for the author, who is a friend of mine.

"Orienteering" is a sport where the object is to find your way across
unknown, hilly or otherwise difficult terrain towards a goal.  If
you're good at it, you get to design courses for other people to try to
follow, which is where this program, "Clue Sheet" comes in.
Orienteering originated in Sweeden, and is quite popular there.

Please archive as "app/cluesheet-106.hqx".
	- Glenn Trewitt

   Clue Sheet is a program to create, edit, and print orienteering course
descriptions using symbols and formatting established by the International
Orienteering Federation. The program is easy to use and produces excellent
printed output from dot matrix or laser printers. In addition to the standard
symbols it can produce English translations for beginners and intermediate
orienteers who need to learn the symbols.

   Clue Sheet is most useful to orienteering course setters or people producing
instructional materials (course descriptions can be exported to other programs
via the clipboard). If you don't know what orienteering is, you're probably
not interested in this program.

   The program "Clue Sheet" and the font "O' Symbol" (which is installed in the
program) are distributed for evaluation with the following restrictions:

*  The READ ME.txt file must accompany any copies of Clue Sheet and the
   O' Symbol font.

*  David R. Dana, the author, retains all rights as creator and owner of
   the software.

*  The author cannot promise that the software works perfectly and assumes
   no risk whatsoever for its use.

*  Clue Sheet, O' Symbol and the READ ME.txt file may not be modified. If you
   are interested in translating the program into another language, contact
   the author at the address below.

*  To use Clue Sheet or O' Symbol after a reasonable period of evaluation
   you must register. If you choose not to register, destroy or pass on your
   copies.

   To register send $20 (US funds only) to David R. Dana, 1540 Hudson St. #204,
Redwood City, California, 94061. You will receive a personalized copy of the
latest version and a complete user's manual, and will be informed directly of
any future improvements.

Sincerely,
David Dana

[Archived as /info-mac/app/clue-sheet-106.hqx; 120K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Sep 1990 19:53:55 EDT
From: drz@po.cwru.edu (David R. Zinkin)
Subject: [*] Temperature Conversion Stack

This is the Temperature Conversion program, written in HyperCard
by Don Zolinski.  (I am forwarding it on his behalf because he
does not yet have network access.)

It converts between temperature values on the Celsius, Fahrenheit,
Rankine, and Kelvin scales.  If you find this program useful,
please send $5 to:   Don Zolinski
                     1931 Coltman Road
                     Cleveland, Ohio 44106
                     USA

[Archived as /info-mac/card/temperature-conversion.hqx; 6K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Sep 90 20:03:35 -0400
From: drz@po.cwru.edu (David R. Zinkin)
Subject: [*] The Elements Stack

This is "The Elements" program, written in HyperCard
by Don Zolinski.  (I am forwarding it on his behalf
because he does not yet have network access.)

It gives much useful information about all of the elements in
the Periodic Table -- in fact, more information than I've seen in
any other such program.

If you find this program useful, please send $20 to:
                     Don Zolinski
                     1931 Coltman Road
                     Cleveland, Ohio 44106
                     USA

[Archived as /info-mac/card/elements.hqx; 50K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 90 14:23:28 EST
From: kjh900@csc2.anu.edu.au ("Kim J Holburn")
Subject: [*] Utility Scripts

These are a set of utility scripts that I use as a Hypercard developer. I devised and wrote 2 of the scripts myself and wrote the others but got the ideas from various sources. The main aim has been simplicity and usefulness. Some of the scripts use XCMDs judiciously and some of them donUt. There is an installer for each script. There is also HyperCard 2.0 version. The scripts are :

Debugging notes : Allows you to log pages of debugging data and easily view it, anywhere in a stack. Great when debugging loops, the message line is often not enough. This system is very simple to use.

Command Line recall : just a simple script version, but a script that I do not like to be without.

ForceEdit : Force the edit of a script in a stack which it's difficult to open in other ways.

Save and restore Message box : Save and restore the full state of the message box.

Autocompacter : automatically compacts stacks as you close them.

[Archived as /info-mac/card/developer-utilities.hqx; 96K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  2 Nov 90 16:12 N
From: <HEWAT%FRILL.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: AbSoft Fortran II and Language Systems Fortran 2.1

AbSoft Fortran II and Language Systems Fortran 2.1

I recently updated from Absoft MacFortran 4.2 to Fortran II, and have also
looked at the latest version 2.1 of Language Systems Fortran.  Both run under
MPW (not as difficult as I thought if you have 5Meg spare disk capacity),
produce fast code which will run in the background under MultiFinder, and
provide a simple Mac interface without any work.

The problem is that there is no complete application example code in either,
though both contain many appetite whetting examples of individual features.

Does anyone have a Fortran example that will implement Apple menus and DA's,
the File menu with Open,Save,Print,Exit etc, the Edit menu, and at least two
resizable windows with the necessary updates etc ?  The LS interface shell
almost does this, but I can't see how to preset the work window size, open
more windows etc...I want an application where I can edit a file, do some
calculations, and plot the results in Quick Draw windows.

This must be a standard application-type for a poor physicist who doesn't have
the time to wade through Inside Macintosh.

Alan Hewat (HEWAT@FRILL.BITNET) ILL Grenoble, France.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 90 09:50:17 PST
From: Brian Feinberg <brian%cirrusl@oliveb.atc.olivetti.com>
Subject: Accessing Chooser "User Name" using Toolbox calls

In order to get the Chooser name you need to do a
GetResource on STR resource (-8192 ?). I'm not sure if that's
the exact resource number, unfortunately.

-- Brian Feinberg

--
Brian Feinberg <brian%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!brian

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 Nov 90 00:22 PST
From: Don Nakanishi/Gann Matsuda           <IYI4DTN@oac.ucla.edu>
Subject: After Dark and InUse 2.0

RE: After Dark

After Dark is NOT shareware.  It is a commercial program.
You can get it (version 2.0 is current) pretty cheap via
mail-order.

RE: Internal Hard Drive Indicator Light INIT

InUse 2.0 is a cdev that will serve this purpose.  It works great
and is freeware.  I cannot upload to info-mac (if I can, I don't
know how).  But it is available on GEnie, and I assume CIS and
AOL.  You'll may even find it on AppleLink....

Gann Matsuda
BITNET: IYI4DTN@UCLAMVS
INTERNET: iyi4dtn@oac.ucla.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Nov 90 20:11:27 EST
From: dmg@lid.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: All-in-one, LanWORKS...

Back in July, Apple and DEC announced a series of products to facilitate
connecting Macs and VAXes together.  These products (All-in-one, LanWORKS,
enhancements to DECnet, etc.) were suppose to hit the street 3rd quarter
this year.  Have they?  Any thoughts on them?

David Gursky
dg@mitre.org

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 03 Nov 90 18:04:20 EST
From: Lee Silverman <ST101137@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: A Picture

I am writing a hypercard stack (in 1.2.5, not 2.0) and I need a
background graphic.  What I'm looking for is a picture of a large crowd,
like the kind you'd see from the stage of a large stadium-size concert.
It should be wild and rocous (sp??) like a concert, and preferably B&W
(though not neccesary).  I can deal with almost any Mac format (PICT,
MACPAINT, MACDRAW, SUPERPAINT) Or also GIF, SCAN, and QDV file formats.
If you have such a picture, or have a scanner and can get me such a
picture, or even can tell me wher I can one, (not a scanner)  please let
me know!  (I have already chacked the GIF archives at WASHU.  No luck)
Please don't say compuserve, because I can't get there from here.  Thanx
very much for your help!

Adios,
Dr. Silver    (st101137 @ BROWNVM or Brownvm.brown.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Nov 90 00:57:30 EST
From: wang@pennmess.physics.upenn.edu ( Huangxin Wang)
Subject: AppleLink site, International Systems

I posted a request for the ftp site address for AppleLink, immediately
I received a lot of replies as well as requests to share the
information I get.  Forgive me that I did not answer each one
individually.  Here is the answer.  Thanks for who replied!

The issue is:  I bought the Apple Techical Support Magazine D e v e l o p
which is really great.  (to order: call 800-545-9364).  It is $30
a year for 4 issue, each issue comes with a CD with a few hundred Mb
stuffs on it.  You can order a single issue for $10 (but you had better
order the express, otherwise will take several weeks.) For example, the
third issue of this year, the contents on the CD are:

(1)  International System Software (including Chinese-Simplified 6.03
and Taiwan Traditional 6.04, which work on Mac IIci, Japanese, and
other European languages).

(2)  International HyperCard;

(3)  DTS Technical Notes and Sample codes;

(4)  Macintosh Technical Notes Stack

(5)  Macintosh Q & A Stack;

(6)  SpInside Macintosh (Inside Macintosh I-V !!!).

But not many people have a CD-ROM to read out these 350 Mb contents.
Though the magazine declares that: "If you don't yet have a CD-ROM drive,
you should be able to find the contents of the Developer Essentials on
AppleLink, the Apple FTP sites on the Internet, and other on-line
services in the near future."

All the replies to my inquiry "where is AppleLink ftp sites" say it is
apple.com (=apple.apple.com = 130.43.2.2), but I looked up and down in
there (Archiver1, Archiver2, /pub/dts) for the contents of the CD disk
(especially the international systems). They are not there.  Eventual I
asked the moderator Mark Johnson of dts in apple.com and here is the
answer (Thanks!):

-----------------------
>From mjohnson@apple.com Fri Nov  2 22:02:20 1990
Posted-Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 18:50:07 -0800
Received-Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 22:02:19 EST
To: wang@pennmess.physics.upenn.edu
Subject: Re:  International system

I have it on a new system which is not yet accesible, but as soon as
we get through some legal snags in electronic distribution, it should
finally be out...

Mark
-----------------------

So what it said in D e v e l o p is not so true.  But it's a good news that
eventually the Internation System will be treated equally as the English
system.

Here is another bonus information from Mark:  if you want to report bugs
in macintosh System, send them to Apple.bugs@applelink.apple.com

		Huangxin Wang, University of Pennsylvania

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 08:00:21 PST
From: eddie@csa1.lbl.gov (MAD SCIENTISTS FOR A BRIGHTER TOMORROW: JACKED INTO THE INTERNET MATRIX)
Subject: Code Resources and windows

	HOWDY,

	Last week I posted two questions related to opening windows from within
code resources and creating "permanent" records which are associated with
the window.  I thank everyone who responded.  I am new to programming Macs and
this problem, and its solution, really opened my eyes to what Apple has done.
For review, I have bought a data acquisitions and control package (KMAX by
Sparrow, Inc.).  Using this software as a platform, I am building a customized
system which must retain a great deal of flexibility.  KMAX allows one to
call user written code resources.  Among the most useful of these resources
that I am writing is one that opens windows automatically.  Each window has,
of course, a set of link-listed records that holds the associated data and
plot specifications (Lin/Log, Plot symbols, etc.).  My concerns were a) will the
parent KMAX package know about windows that are created from my code
resource, and b) how can I create the associated records and make them
permanent even though a code resource and all of its variables are swapped out
when the call to the resource is ended?

	It turns out that the records were easy to create.  I used the MemoryMgr
call NewHandle ( actually, in Think C it is NewHandleClear) passing the size
of the space to be created using the sizeof(struct_name) preprocessor directive.
This call allocates space on the heap which is unpurgeable and relocatable and
returns a handle to the space.  Perfect for me since all of the linking between
records is done with handles.

	As for opening windows, this is where the power of the Mac's operating
system really becomes apparent.  The parent KMAX software uses the operating
system's windowlist when looking for a window and other WindowMgr routines
for related operations.  This means that my windows are recognized by KMAX
since calls to the WindowMgr automatically update the windowlist as necessary.
This is really, really important in creating flexible, customizable packages!
KMAX does not have to keep an internal list of windows and window information,
thus allowing me complete access to (and manipulation of) this information.
I have not worked with window-like programming on other PC's, but the elegance
of the Mac's operating system is really hard to beat.  I has made my entire
project possible and much less painful.

	Incidentally, I would recommend KMAX for data acquisitions.  It is set
up to work with a CAMAC system interfaced through the SCSI bus.  It also would
be good for other data acq. systems, though, and I have found Sparrow, Inc. to
be very responsive to my questions.

							Thanks again,

							Eddie

disclaimer: I am not associated with Sparrow, Inc. in any way other than having
	    purchased and used their software.  The opinions above are mine and
	    are not those of Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory or the University of
	    California.					EJM

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Nov 90 10:47:01 SET
From: Alexander Falk <K360950%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Flame on Symantec

Speaking for 3 European Symantec Development System Users (THINK Pascal
and THINK C) I'd like to tell you of some serious problems we have
with Symantec's attitude towards customers:

The three of us have purchased licenses of THINK Pascal and THINK C through
US mail order stores and through APDA a couple of years ago (back then there
was no other way of getting a hold of these packages in Europe!).

We recently tried to upgrade to the latest versions of these tools and that's
where the problems started:

--> FLAME ON

   1) We received an update notice up to 1 year after the new version
      was announced in the US. This update notice was sent to us from
      Symantec in the US - not from any European distributor.

   2) Norbert did not receive any reaction to 2 written orders for an
      upgrade. A phone order was accepted politely and devliery promised
      within a week. After one month nothing arrived (nor was the credit
      card charged - phew).

   3) Willi placed an order through AppleLink about half a year ago. There
      was absolutely no reaction. After he received his upgrade notice in
      July he sent a written order by air mail. Again there was no reaction!

   4) Alexander placed an order via AppleLink also about half a year ago
      (with no results whatsoever) and when he called by phone a week ago
      he finally found the answer we all have been waiting to hear for so
      long: Symantec apperently has a local distributor in Austria/Europe
      and that's where we can get our upgrades. The only question I have is:
      why didn't they bother to tell us so when we first ordered the upgrade
      and why indeed didn't they tell us when they sent us the upgrade notice.

   5) A quick call to the Austrian distributor "Deltavision" revealed more
      problems: THEY DO NOT SELL TO ENDUSERS - they only sell to dealers.

   6) Another call to the nearest dealer only worsened the problem: the cost
      of the upgrade (which for THINK C is $69 in the US) is $250 in
      Austria! There is no localization involved whatsoever so I simply
      cannot understand where the large price-difference comes into play.
      Furthermore we have not ever received any technical support, so there
      just isn't any excuse for a higher price at all!

   7) As a result it turns out that it is CHEAPER FOR US, IF WE ORDER A NEW
      VERSION OF THE SYMANTEC DEVELOPMENT PRODUCTS THROUGH APDA THAN TO
      UPDATE THROUGH SYMANTEC's OWN CHANNEL! That's simply outrageous!

--> FLAME OFF

Symantec has great products but they should probably rethink their policy
towards non-US customers. If Symantec would like to correct the above
problem, I would be happy to receive a call from their customer representative
to inform us how we can get an upgrade at a reasonable price. My phone number
is: +43 732 244-9121 (an answering machine is operative 24 hours a day, so
you have no possible excuse of not catching anyone at home). Also electronic
mail to FALK2@APPLELINK.APPLE.COM would be appreciated.

We will report to the net any progress that is made in this situation!

Best regards,

Alexander Falk
Norbert Mueller
Wilhelm Plotz

Three Austrian Macintosh Developers

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Nov 90 01:39 EDT
From: GORDON DOHLE <DOHLE%Vax2.Concordia.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #180

Chris Jones asks how to unbinhex:
Unbinhex using either Binhex 4.0 or Stuffit 1.51. Both are (were) available
in the Macserve archives (macserve@pucc) In Stuffit, use the 'other' menu
bar item.
Let me know if you need more help.
Gordon
Dohle@vax2.concordia.ca

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 90 23:14:12 GMT
From: typ125m@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Mr John Wilkins)
Subject: Inserting file names in Word headers
Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu writes:

>Well, I looked in the online help, and the manual, but I can't find any
>mention of how to automatically insert the current file name into the
>header of a Word document (the same way you can insert today's date or
>automatic page number).  Any suggestions?

>Paul

I cannot find any way of doing this in Word, and have wanted it
for years. However, if you have Nisus 3, it will read and write
Word 3 files, and it *can* do this (and a WHOLE lot more).
--
John Wilkins, Manager, Publications Services
Monash University, Melbourne, Australia

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 90 09:42:44 PST
From: Brian Feinberg <brian%cirrusl@oliveb.atc.olivetti.com>
Subject: Laserwriter Page Break Command

All you need to do to create a page break is send the command
'showpage'.

-- Brian Feinberg

Date: Sat, 3 Nov 90 20:14 EST
From: <MACLAB%VUVAXCOM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Menus at the top of 2 monitors

        I could have sworn that I read an article about an init that would
allow the macs menubar to show up on two monitors. Any info?
        thanx in advance

bill cockayne
maclab@vuvaxcom.bitnet
AppleLink: ST0666

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Nov 90 23:42:02 EST
From: "Kirke B. Lawton" <LAWK%UORVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mouse recommendations wanted

My ADB mouse has been acting up lately, so I am considering replacing it.
I am thinkning about getting an optical mouse and would appreciate any
input from current users.  Does anyone have any experience with the
Mouse Systems "Little Mouse" (MacConnection $75)?  That one seems to be
the cheapest mouse around, but I don't know anything about it.

Thanks,
Kirke

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Nov 1990 5:26:44 CST
From: Werner Uhrig <werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu>
Subject: OS 6.0.7 causes GateKeeper 1.1.1 to give false alarm

	it has come to my attention (and I verified this) that when
	using the popular anti-viral INIT GateKeeper with OS 6.0.7,
	false GateKeeper alarms will result, and applications will crash
	leading to frequent rebooting of the Macintosh.

	For the time being, it is not recommended to use GateKeeper with
	Mac OS 6.0.7 until the author Chris Johnson <chrisj@emx.utexas.edu>
	releases a fix in the form of a new version of GateKeeper-Aid
	(where does he get those cute names ..;-) which is currently in
	alfa test stage.

	You should continue to use the Disinfectant INIT in your System Folder
	(version 2.3 is the latest) which is not affected by the OS-change,
	and/or any of the commercial ones out there (I recommend the use of
	several anti-virals at the same time!  "Four Eyes See More Than Two!")

				----Werner

ps: stay tuned for an update on this matter during the coming week.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 1990 15:28:41 EST
From: PHARRIMA@bowdoin.edu
Subject: Query: re-direct printer output to disk?

Greetings,

I'm looking for a way to redirect Macintosh printer output to a plain-text
disk file.  I've searched the archives, but haven't found what I'm looking
for.

Our on-line library catalog here at Bowdoin College uses heavily formatted
VT100 screens, so that when I capture my session to disk, the resulting
file is unusable due to all the escape sequences that are used for the
screen formatting. However, the library software does support an
unformatted printer stream which is sent to a local printer.  Is there a
way that I can set-up my Mac to redirect that printer stream to a plain
text file (not PostScript)?

Please reply via email; I'll summarize my responses to the net.

Phil Harriman -=- Bowdoin College Academic Computing -=- pharrima@bowdoin.edu

------------------------------

Date: 1 Nov 90 11:56:00 MDT
From: "5268 Spires, Shannon V." <svspire@sandia.gov>
Subject: Ricoh 50MB Removable Drives Info Wanted

Does anyone have any experience with the new 50MB sealed removable hard
drives with the Ricoh (as opposed to Syquest) mechanism? These things
have a cartridge that looks somewhat like a Syquest 45Mb cartridge, but
it is sealed. The claim is that they are more reliable than the Syquest
mechanism. Several vendors are selling them, including GCC and Microtech
(who has stopped selling Syquest drives). The drives seem to be priced
roughly the same as Syquest drives, with the cartridges slightly more
expensive than Syquest.

I have used two Syquest drives for over a year, and both have had to be
sent back for repairs, although I've never lost any data. I need to buy
two more, and am considering the Ricohs. Are the Ricoh mechanisms more
reliable? Faster? Slower?

If anyone has any comments about these drives please send them to me and
I will summarize to the net.

--
Shannon Spires
Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM

------------------------------

Date: Sat 3 Nov 90 12:58:28-PST
From: Brodie Lockard <I.ISIMO@macbeth.stanford.edu>
Subject: Shanghai 2.0 bugs?

I am revising Shanghai 2.0 to fix a couple of bugs.  If you have any bugs
to report, please write to me directly at brod@jessica.stanford.edu.
Include the exact steps to reproduce the bug, the kind of Mac involved,
the version of the System software you're using, whether 32-bit QuickDraw
is installed, and any weird inits that might be involved.  Thanks for your
help in making Shanghai a better product!

Brodie Lockard
-------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 02 Nov 90 14:36:49 CST
From: Graeme <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Statistics software reference

A couple of digests ago someone asked for a reference to articles on
statistics software for the Mac. The current issue of the BMUG Newsletter
contains the longest, most expert and most thorough review I've seen of
the six main packages. Also, Academic Computing 2 or 3 issues ago had an
article relating experiences teaching statistics using (I think) Data Desk.

BMUG: Berkeley Mac Users Group, 415-549-BMUG. Summer-Fall 1990 issue,
pp.231-278 (seriously!). The article is by Al Best and David Morganstein.
Best is an Assistant Professor of Biostatistics at VCU: Best@VCUVAX. He
might be willing to download the article to non-members of BMUG, I suppose.

Graeme Forbes
PL0BALF @ TCSVM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 90 15:03:30 PST
From: Jeffq <jeffq@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us>
Subject: Strange Hard Drive Crash

Our power went out like a month ago when my hard drive was a-spinnin', and
it crashed.  So I finally dug up SUM II - it could recover .every. file on
the hard drive, but I don't like to do 40 megs of disk swapping so that's
out of the question.  I used the SCSI Tools init to mount the hard drive via
a System 800K floppy, and it mounted and everything was intact; the hard drive
works perfectly upon mounting.  Even all 300 of my fonts popped up.  But,
I'm sick of sticking in a disk, going to control panel, and selecting MOUNT
each time I boot, as opposed to what I used to do - flick on the switch.  I
have deduced that the driver is thrashed; I got hold of Apple SCSI Utils and
tried to install the drive and it couldn't locate the MOUNTED volume.

WHAT DO I DO!?
-jq

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 1990 13:01:24 CST
From: DAVE@gergo.tamu.edu (Dave Martin)
Subject: System Crash = Bad Video Card?

        I have been having trouble recently with my system crashing while
        drawing complex figures on the screen. (Mac IIcx, Apple 13" RGB,
        both in Canvas 2.1 & Persuasion 2.0 -- so far). What will happen,
        occasionally, is that while drawing the color image on the screen,
        it will stop, the system locks - no bomb message - then the video
        display goes blank. Hitting the reset key makes the 'reboot' snth
        sound, but doesn't restart. I have to turn off the power, then back
        on, before I can get going again. Does this sound like a bad video
        card (Apple 8-bit Video Card, almost 1yr old)? Considering all the
        factors, this is what seems most likely, but I'd like to get another
        opinion. If anyone has seen this type of reaction before, please
	email me. Thanks.

	Dave Martin
	Geochemical & Environmental Research Group
	Texas A&M University
	DAVE@GERGA.TAMU.EDU   BROOKS@TAMVXOCN.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 15:38 CDT
From: "Nicholas. L. Hayes, Micro Supp. Specialist" <NH2031S@acad.drake.edu>
Subject: TV monitor card for Mac?

Our ed media department wants to connect a Mac to a color TV to display the
same screen as the Macs (one Mac screen showing at two places at the same time).

They are using an LCD overhead display unit when using black and white Macs,
but they want a way to do the same thing when using color Macs.  The problem
is most of the new video boards out go one step further and actually make
the second video monitor act as a true second Macintosh display.  Well as
I'm trying to explain we want the same color image on both screens (just
like you get when using an overhead).  Of course they could just use a color
overhead but this solution must be a lot cheaper (under 1000).

You can reply to me directly and I'll summarize for the net or just put it
on the Net, I check it regularly.

Nicholas L. Hayes
Microcomputer Support Specialist
Drake University