Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/07/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue,  6 Nov 90       Volume 8 : Issue 183

Today's Topics:

      [*] hyperftp-13.hqx
      [*] KeyMenu
      [*] mephem4.21 - Mac Astronomical Ephemeris Program
      [*] ShowSizes 1.0
      Abaton extension to Apple Scanner
      Apple Xtended Keyboard Restart Key
      Clip Art Cataloger
      Drive light INIT for internals
      Educator HomeCard
      Foxbase
      HC 2.0 Upgrade Policy
      HP laserJet II
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #179
      Mac Classic fan and external 800 k drives ???
      Macintosh RGB Monitor Woes, incorrect color
      MacPlot 3.5 problem
      Netware 2.15C Mac VAPS
      New version of cdev Colordesk
      Patching traps, VBL Tasks, QuickerGraf
      Printing a PS file to a newly switched-on printer
      SCSI ID on internal-->external drive
      simulator/model
      Soundwave
      Wanted: PD font for PC ASCII character set

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 90 12:42:31 EDT
From: dug@elroy.cit.cornell.edu (Douglas Hornig)
Subject: [*] hyperftp-13.hqx

HyperFTP is a HyperCard stack that acts as an FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
client.  With it you can transfer files between your Macintosh and FTP host
computers over the TCP/IP internet.  You must have HyperCard version 1.2 or
later, and MacTCP (Apple Computer's TCP/IP drivers) installed.  MacTCP is
available for about $100 from APDA (800/282-2732).

New in version 1.3:
o A zoom feature on the directory entries field that will switch between a
  names-only list and a full directory list.
o File tranfers can be cancelled more reliably.
o A bug that sometimes caused MacBinary and BinHex receives to crash has
  been fixed.
o About a million little things have been changed that I can't list here.

I would again like to thank all the people who sent me their excellent
comments and suggestions.

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/hyperftp-13.hqx; 75K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 15:14:53 MDT
From: t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs)
Subject: [*] KeyMenu

This is KeyMenu. The FREE utility which allows you to run the menus
with the keyboard like you can in Microsoft Word. This is a control panel
device and you can configure which keys to use from there. Be careful
how you configure it so it doesn't conflict with Word and Excel.

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/key-menu.hqx; 19K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 1990 22:14:40 CDT
From: Peter Newton <newton@cs.utexas.edu>
Subject: [*] mephem4.21 - Mac Astronomical Ephemeris Program

Mephem4.21 is a port to the Macintosh of Elwood Downey's astronomical
computation program, ephem version 4.21.  It computes positions and
rise/set times of planets, the moon, comets, and more.  It also has
functions to graphically display object positions and search for
interesting astronomical events.  A manual is included.  Questions about
the Mac version should go to Peter Newton (newton@cs.utexas.edu).

[Archived as /info-mac/app/mephem-421.hqx; 233K]

------------------------------

Date: 17 Sep 90 09:57:05
From: Wolfgang Naegeli <Wolfgang_Naegeli.ED_IAAS@qm01.ctd.ornl.gov>
Subject: [*] ShowSizes 1.0

Huangxin Wang <wang@pennmess.physics.upenn.edu> writes:

> A while ago I asked about (1)  How to see the size of a bunch of folders
> in Finder (similar to "du" command in UNIX).

I enclose a neat little utility by Jon Pugh. Though it is not a Finder
enhancement, as Wang (and I) would like, but a stand-alone application, it does
show folder sizes as percent of the selected volume, or of the parent folder,
with options to display this information as numbers or graphically as dark bars
inside each folder.  It is somewhat slow but gives you a very good idea of how
your disk space is used. The application windows essentially duplicate the icon
views of the Finder windows.  Double-click a folder to see the sizes of folders
inside it.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
University of Tennessee & Oak Ridge National Laboratory
President, MacClique--East Tennessee Macintosh Users Group
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141 (MacFax)
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510

[Archived as /info-mac/util/show-sizes-10.hqx; 38K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 14:49:45 PST
From: hplabs!fredc%pro-humanist.cts.com@labrea.stanford.edu (Fred Condo, sysop)
Subject: Abaton extension to Apple Scanner

I would like to hear from anyone who has used the Abaton upgrade to the Apple
Scanner, which converts the scanner from a 4-bit (16 grays) to an 8-bit (256
grays) scanner.

In particular, how much did it cost, was it easy to install, does it work with
the Apple software (or has it got its own software), and what is the overall
quality of the hardware and imaging?  Thanks....
===
Fred Condo. Pro-Humanist BBS: 818/339-4704, 300/1200/2400 bps
Internet: fredc@pro-humanist.cts.com  Bitnet: condof@clargrad
UUCP: crash!pro-humanist!fredc [add '@nosc.mil' for ARPA]
matter: PO Box 2843, Covina, CA 91722  America Online: FredJC

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 90 12:32:28 edt
From: codex!peterd@uunet.uu.net (Peter Desnoyers)
Subject: Apple Xtended Keyboard Restart Key

In comp.sys.mac.digest you write:

>I use a Mac SE/30 w/ Apple's extended keyboard.  A colleague of mine has a
>'vintage' Mac II (no letters...:{>  ).  She tapped the "restart" key at the
>top right portion of the keyboard, and her II powered on.  This function is NOT
>supported on the SE/30.

>After scanning the Apple systems software manual, the only reference that I
>could find to this restart key was "if you have a Mac II, this key will restart
>your Mac".

>Can anyone tell me:
>	1) Why this function doesn't work on an SE/30?
>	2) Does an INIT or other system file exist that can enable this key?

The Mac II and subsequent slotted Macs have hardware that allows the
computer to turn itself off via software, and to be turned on from the
ADB bus (keyboard/mouse) as well as from the backplane. The SE does not
have this hardware. (That's why Special->Shutdown in the finder menu
prints a message "you may now turn off your Macintosh", instead of
turning it off directly, like a Mac II.) Look in the Mac. Technical
Reference, or Inside Mac V, for more details.

				Peter Desnoyers

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 90 13:20:29 CST
From: gemed!hallett%positron.com@crdgw1.ge.com (Jeff Hallett x5163	)
Subject: Clip Art Cataloger

Hi all.

I'm trying to find a clip art  cataloging application.  PictureBase is
pretty good, but it doesn't handle EPS files  and it requires  all the
catalog files on the same  disk which  eats a lot  of space.   Curator
scans disks and  presents  keyword  searches  and thumbnails,  but you
still  have to feed  it the  individual   disks.   I'm  looking  for a
combination of the two: something that keeps the bitmap thumbnails and
keywords  in one place,  but keeps the  location  of  the graphic file
rather than the  file  itself.  That  way, I  can scan my   catalog by
keyword or  thumbnail browse and when I  think I've found what I want,
it will tell me the disk and folder(s) in which to look for the actual
graphic.

Does such a thing exist?  If so, where do I get it?

Thanks

	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201
	    (414) 548-5163 : EMAIL -  hallettJ@gemed.ge.com
     "You mean there wasn't! Look! A chicken!  A black chicken!"

------------------------------

Date: 5 Nov 90 08:47:00 MST
From: "5268 Spires, Shannon V." <svspire@sandia.gov>
Subject: Drive light INIT for internals

In v8-180, robert wilson <RWILSON%UTCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
writes:

> Apple doesn't allow the user to see the drive indicator light on
> internal hard drives.  Is there an init which places a light icon in
> the menu bar that turns on when there is disk activity?  If not how
> hard would it be write?

Better still, how about lighting one of the unused lights on the
keyboard?

--
Shannon Spires
Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Nov 90 16:01:24 -0500
From: bda@uengr.calvin.edu (Bruce Abernethy)
Subject: Educator HomeCard

Apple Computer created a suite of HyperCard 2.0 stacks for use in Education.
This was done partly to show off the new features of HyperCard and display
their continuing efforts to support the use of their computers in this arena.

The 4 disk set includes:
        HyperCard version 2.0 (fully functioning)
        Education Home card: Which includes a card pointing to each of the
           Ed stacks as well as the card pointing to each of the stacks in
           the 5 disk "developer version" of HyperCard 2.0 (i.e HyperCard
           Help, Art Bits, Graph Maker, Tour, HyperTalk Reference, etc.)
           This stack is not disabled like the HyperCard Lite program that
           comes with the new Macs so you can easily reach userlevel 5 and
           create your own stacks.
        Seating Chart
        Gradebook
        Student Info (Name, Address, Guardian & Emergency Contacts, comments)
        Lesson Plans (Calendar with divisions by period/hour.  Lesson Plans
           stack has support for multiple lessons sorted by keyword,
           objectives, resources, preparation, activities, and evaluation)
        Teacher Resources (Catalog of classroom resources, staff information,
           card catalog, software library, supply/Equip. Inventory, reading
           list, textbook inventory, and a special stack to montior progress
           of students in special education.)
        Classroom Clip Art
        Presenter (A stack that will help you prepare presentations)
        Education Help (an extensive help stack that covers the other stacks
           in detail)
        Finally, A stack of "Classroom Ideas" which includes sample stacks from
           a variety of disciplines (very nice))

All in all there is about 2.5Meg of Ed specific stacks in this package.  The
stacks are very well done both from a programming standpoint and from an
educational standpoing.

I was very impressed by all of the stacks and am currently installing them for
interested members of our education department.  These stacks are a good way
to get people who normally do not use the computer interested in computers as
a tool for learning.

The only complaint or problem I have with the stacks is that they are slower
than their full-blown application counterparts.  Because of the overhead of
HC2.0 they can take a while (2 or 3 seconds) to move from stack to stack and
more time if there are calculations involved.  They also seem aimed at the K-12
level so may not be as useful for Higher-Ed users.

All in all it is a wonderful package.

Price: (ah, the punchline) actually the package is free to qualified educators
until the end of this year.  If you call or write Intellimation (Apple's new
Education Software Exchange) they will send you a form to fill out and
return to them.  Then in a few weeks you will get the package.  I believe
the phone number is 800-3-INTELL but don't hold me to it.

Disclaimer: I am in no way involved with Apple Computer (other than owning a
Mac IIsi) and my opinions are not always the same as my employers.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bruce Abernethy
Calvin College, Computer Center Hotline
Grand Rapids, MI 49546 (616) 967-8555
<bda@uengr.calvin.edu>
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Nov 90 16:11:17 EST
From: Stan La Muth <SFLAMUTH%MTUS5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Foxbase

     Has anyone used Foxbase successfully on a Mac Network using the Apple Inte
rnet Router?  We are presently beta testing an application which has been runni
ng flawlessly on a standalone Mac system for several months.  When trying to ma
ke the application and database accessable to the network the developers have r
un into problems.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.  Please reply  directly and I will
summarize for the group

 Thanks!
 Stan La Muth
 Coordinator - Satellite & Technical Services
 Michigan Technological University
 Houghton Michigan  49931
 SFLAMUTH@MTUS5.Bitnet or mtu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 06:45:18 GMT
From: dlong@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Long)
Subject: HC 2.0 Upgrade Policy
schultz@pollux writes:

[quoting Kevin Calhoun, lead engineer for HyperCard 2.0]

>2. What are dealers allowed to distribute? The new Macs apparently only
>come with Hypercard, Home, Appointments, Address.

>HyperCard 2.0 in an Apple box, which Apple dealers have on their lists as a
>real product at a suggested retail price of $49, has been canceled. When
>HyperCard 2.0 is available in a Claris box, then dealers can sell it to
>you.
>It has been the policy in the past to encourage dealers to allow customers
>to copy the HyperCard disks free of charge. However, this policy has been
>discontinued.
>In other words, at this time, dealers have nothing they're allowed to
>distribute.

I have to say I'm getting tired of this mess.  I imagine many others are,
too.  Would it be too much to ask that Apple/Claris get their heads together
and put out some clear, definitive statements on what the policies concerning
HyperCard 2.0 will be?  As things stand, we hear some things from one source,
which are "corrected" by another source, then another steps in...  and on and
on.

I hate to flame, but it has appeared to me through this whole mess that there
has been no clear direction within Apple/Claris regarding HyperCard 2.0, and
what seems to me to be a profound lack of understanding of what it is, and
can and should be.

When HyperCard was announced, it was proclaimed to be a "software erector
set", that would allow the ordinary user to program his/her Mac without
requiring years of study.  It was and is that.  If that were all that were at
stake, I would have little problem with the current upgrade policy, as it
appears to be heading.  However, HyperCard was and is more than that.  It is
the beginning and backbone of basic multimedia and hypermedia documents on
the Macintosh.  It's been called the "lingua franca" of multimedia documents
on the Mac.  It gives people a consistent, dependable, widely distributable
method of getting their ideas out to the rest of the Macintosh community.

To get to the heart of my point: if there is no way for the majority of Mac
users out there today to get even a read-only version of the new HyperCard
without a major monetary expenditure, then the idea of the "lingua franca" is
lost.  HyperCard 2.0 *loses* one of its biggest advantages for its users-
being able to expect that anyone with at least a 1Meg Macintosh can freely
share what they create.

It's my hope that the folks within Apple and Claris will realize this, that
what they stand to lose by restricting distribution of the new version far
outstrips what they might gain in sales of the new product.

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
dave long		      dlong@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

------------------------------

Date: MON NOV 05, 1990 14.50.29 EST
From: "Phil Williams" <PMW0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: HP laserJet II

 Howdy Netland,
        I work in a lab that has a HP laserjet series II printer and I
and friend would like to use it to print from a macintosh.  He has a
plus and I'm upgrading to a IIsi.  I know that Adobe makes a cartridge
that converts the series II to a postscript printer.  My question is:
Does anyone know how well it works and what support (i.e. Printer
Drivers, AppleTalk, etc.) if any is needed.
                                Phil Williams
                                PMW0@LEHIGH.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Nov 90 07:24:53 LCL
From: ESMITH%SUVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #179

   I am currently looking at obtaining a printer for my Mac system. I run
a small desktop publishing company and would like to get the best quality
for the money (would anyone want anything else? :) )

   I read the comparison in last month's MacUser and it was quite useful.
However lab conditions and the real world are sometimes lightyears apart.
What I am looking at is the Dataproducts 1260lzi and the QUME Crystal
Print Publisher II or Crystal Print Express.

   My applications include the necessity to print both text and graphics
(such as logos). If any of you have any personal experience in using
any or all of these printers I'd love to hear from you. As Always,
providing there's enough interest, I'll summarize for the net.

   Thanks!

   As Always,
     Gene
   ESMITH@SUVM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 90 12:18 MET
From: KRAALINGEN%CABO.AGRO.NL@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Mac Classic fan and external 800 k drives ???

Dear Net,

I have purchased a simple Classic with a single floppy drive recently. What
really surprised me is that the machine has a fan inside while the Mac+
does not have one. Is it possible to disconnect the fan so as to get a
really silent machine ? Another question I have is whether it is
possible to connect an external 800k floppy to the Classic ?

Daniel van Kraalingen
Centre for Agrobiological Research
Wageningen, The Netherlands

kraalingen@cabo.agro.nl
or:
kraalingen@rcl.wau.nl

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Nov 90 10:40:17 EST
From: bmwu@athena.mit.edu
Subject: Macintosh RGB Monitor Woes, incorrect color

Dear Netters:

	Disaster struck my RGB monitor 2 days ago.  I
need some help to help me restore the health of my RGB
monitor.

	This is the configuration:  Mac IIcx, 8 megs of RAM, 40 megs
of HD, Apple's 8-bit video card and Apple's 13 inch RGB monitor.
System 6.0.4, multifinder, some inits and cdev's.

	Everything was working fine until two days ago when a
friend brought a copy of Solarian 1.02 to me.  While he was playing
the game and demonstrate the nice graphics to me, he accidentally
moved the mouse into the Restart button located in the front of the
Mac IIcx.  The system of course rebooted.  However, the color
of my screen has never been the same after that accident.

	After rebooting, a purple glaze now covers the whole screen.
When you select "color" from the menu bar, the nice rainbow pattern
is gone, you have 2 orange bars instead of an orange and a red one.
I have 2 blue bars instead of green(?cyan) and blue.  I also have
2 black bars.  This is so irritating to the eye.

	This is what I have tried to fix the problem.

	1.  Restart solarian, play the game for several seconds,
		quit the game.  Result:  no change.

	2.  Restart solarian, play the game and hit the restart
		button again.  Result:  no change.

	3.  Use Apple's installer to install system 6.0.5.
		Result:  no change.

	4.  Read the manuals that came with the machine regarding
		color monitors, and control panel devices.
		I have fiddled with the "color" cdev, but that
		just changes the highlight color when you select
		text.
		I have also hit the DeGauss switch behind the RGB
		monitor, but that maneuver didn't restore my
		monitor to its original beautiful colors.

	5.  Call up MIT's MicroComputer Center.  The guy on the
		phone suggest that I hit the DeGauss switch.
		and if that doesn't work, he suggests that I
		bring the machine in to get checked out.  He thinks
		I might have blown some chips.

Can someone out there tell me whtt is going on and how I can fix my
machine.  I am guessing that Solarian saves the system
color lookup table before it starts and uses its own and restores
the system color lookup table after the user quits the game.
(a guess).  and I think that when my friend touches the restart button,
the system color lookup table is lost and I got a junk color lookup
table.  In any case, I need all the help I can get now.

I would also be very grateful if somereone can forward this message
to the author of Solarian (Ben Haller).  I know that he has an
account on one of the Berkeley machines (deadman@?.berkeley.edu)
but don't remember the exact details.

Thanks in advance for the help.

	Sincerely yours,

	Benson M. Wu
	bmwu@athena.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 04 Nov 90 22:10:49 CET
From: Klaus Koehler <KOEHLER%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: MacPlot 3.5 problem

Hello Netters,

has anybody installed Microspots MacPlot software (V. 3.5) on a ci
successfully? It did work on an SE, but not on the ci. (Multifinder
reported error code #1).

Thanks for your help,
        Klaus

| Klaus Koehler                         +49 (0)6421 285548 (work)      |
| Dept. of Chemistry, Univ. Marburg     +49 (0)6421 66972  (home)      |
| Earn/BitNet: KOEHLER@DMRHRZ11         +49 (0)6421 63586  (BBS SysOp) |
|        UUCP: DMRHRZ11.BITNET!Koehler@tub.UUCP  or:  astro@mcshh.uucp |
|    Internet: KOEHLER%DMRHRZ11.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu                 |
 Science and peace will triumph over ignorance and war.      -- Pasteur

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 90 13:55 EST
From: "Bill Doemel, Director of Computer Services" <DOEMELB%Wabash.Bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Netware 2.15C Mac VAPS

Date sent:  5-NOV-1990 13:47:47

PROBLEM:  We have two Macs on a LAN that is connected to a PC System 80
server running 2.15C.  I have been unable to get these users to "see" the
server or for that matter any of the network.

CONFIGURATION
PC System 80 server with 4 LAN cards, all NE2000 cards:
        LAN A: NE2000 that acts as bridge to backbone
        (LAN A is econfig to enable users to attach to MicroVAX
        running Novell for VMS)
        LAN B: NE2000 Lan with two macs
        LAN C & D: NE2000 cards connecting other LANs

Initially we set up only LAN A using Appletalk driver for the server card.
Then we tried LAN A and LAN B using Appletalk driver.  We have not been
able to get the Macs to see the server.  The MAC VAPs were installed and
configured as per directions on the server.

Any suggestions?  Please send suggestions directly to me and I will
summarize if there is anything useful.

Thanks.
Bill Doemel
Bill Doemel                         Office: (317)-364-4311
Director of Computer Services       BitNET: DoemelB@Wabash.BITNET
Wabash College                      AppleLink: U0846
Crawfordsville, IN 47933

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 4 Nov 90 19:24:26 -0600
From: Wei-Ming  Wu <wwg0240@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: New version of cdev Colordesk

I am looking for the latest version of the cdev Colordesk.  Can someone post it on info-mac?  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 3 Nov 90 17:30:13 EST
From: wilson@procyon.csis.dit.csiro.au (Murray Wilson)
Subject: Patching traps, VBL Tasks, QuickerGraf

Hello,
I am hoping someone can help me with three questions I have, two
to do with programming.  Here they are:

* How do you patch traps without using Assembly Language (I have
MPW C 3.0). Any examples in MPW C or THINK C (so long as there's
no assembly code) would be greatly appreciated.

* I  have  tried  without success  to  install  a VBL task using
VInstall (Inside Mac II).  Source code for  something that beeps
every five seconds or something like that(code formats as above)
would be very helpful.

* I have a Mac IIcx and Andy Hertzfeld's QuickerGraf.  Even when
I set it up as the first-loaded init (by preceding its name with
two dots)  it  gives an  alert  saying that QuickerGraf can't be
loaded because  it  (or an equivalent program)  has already been
loaded.  I am wondering if anyone knows why it isn't working.

Please reply directly to me and I will summarize all replies and
send a message with the answers to a future info-mac digest.
My address is care of:
wilson@csis.dit.csiro.au

Thanks in advance,
    Stephen Wilson

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 2 Nov 90 23:07:51 PST
From: hplabs!fredc%pro-humanist.cts.com@labrea.stanford.edu (Fred Condo, sysop)
Subject: Printing a PS file to a newly switched-on printer

Nigel Bruce describes a problem in which a PostScript file successfully prints
on a LaserWriter that has done some printing, but fails when it is the first
thing tried. He describes creating the files via "option K."

The very simple problem is that the file you intend to print requires the
Apple Prep routines, which are automatically loaded to the printer when the
Mac prints something. Until something is printed, Apple Prep is not resident
on the printer, which completely explains the behavior you describe.

To create a file that contains a copy of Apple Prep, and hence should print
regardless of whether the printer is newly switched on, use command-F instead
of command-K (it's not option, by the way).
===

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 1990 10:47:07 PST
From: Carl Madson <madson@unix.sri.com>
Subject: SCSI ID on internal-->external drive

I also just took an internal drive (3.5" half-height 20SC) and made it into an
external drive, using Relax Tech.'s $99 'shell' kit. (It looks nice -- same
styling as an SE or SE/30, slightly wider, with power and SCSI cables, and
looks like it has room for a half-height 5.25" drive; the manual, however, is
only for those whose drive is already physically installed in the case.) With
any such case, there should be a switch on the back that allows changing the
SCSI ID (0:7), and there should also be a 4-wire connection provided from that
switch to a small slide-on connector (probably a 3x2 plastic connector, with
4 of the possible 6 connections wired up). The disk should have a 3x2 (6-pin)
connector coming from the rear, usually near the SCSI cable connector. Your
SCSI ID switch connection should then go between the rear switch and that 6-pin
connector on the disk drive. Note that one of the 4 wires is ground, and should
connect to the pin on the drive that corresponds to the drive's ground (check
with a simple resistance check to all pins, if there's any ambiguity as to how
the connector is oriented).

Note that there are generally 4 connections to be made in doing this job:
1) the 4-wire Molex power connector, near the front of the drive; 2) the LED
'active' light conn., just 2 small wires, near the top front of the drive;
3) the SCSI ID conn., 4 small wires, near the bottom rear of the drive; and
4) the wide 2-row SCSI cable conn., near the bottom rear of the drive. And you
might get hung up a little if you don't remove the wraparound 'cage' from the
drive (used for internal Mac mounting) before attempting to mount the drive in
the external-drive shell.

Relax Technology is in the S.F. Bay Area, Union City. (415) 471-6112. I have
no connection except as a satisfied customer (except for not providing an in-
stallation manual..)

		--Carl Madson, SRI International, Menlo Park, CA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 90 21:12 EST
From: AELevy@dockmaster.ncsc.mil
Subject: simulator/model

I need to simulate some new computer applications, I would like to do it
on the mac if possible.  These are monster IBM systems I am simulating
parts of.  Is there suitable or any products for the mac (or if not any
recommends).  Thanks, Allan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 90 11:15:46 EST
From: bkirsch@nadc.nadc.navy.mil (B. Kirsch)
Subject: Soundwave

Soundwave is now being distributed by Authorware in Bloomington MN.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Nov 90 18:08:43 -0500
From: fillmore%emrcan.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Wanted: PD font for PC ASCII character set

Does anyone know of a public-domain Mac font which contains all of the
symbols in the IBM PC ASCII character set (symbols like little smiley faces,
card suits, musical notes, box-drawing characters, etc.)?
Unfortunately I have to document some PC stuff on my Mac.
Thanks in advance-
Bob Fillmore, Systems Software & Communications     BITNET:  FILLMORE@EMRCAN
  Computer Services Centre,                         BIX:     bfillmore
  Energy, Mines, & Resources Canada                 Voice:   (613) 992-2832
  588 Booth St., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1A 0E4   FAX:     (613) 996-2953

End of Info-Mac Digest