Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/07/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue,  6 Nov 90       Volume 8 : Issue 184

Today's Topics:

      [*] Alpha 2.07
      Apple's Token Ring card
      ARMOR ALLEY
      ATM1.2/Sys6.0.7/QuantumThanks
      CD ROM drives on AppleShare Server
      classic vs SE
      Code for mix Paint and Text?
      Code for text edit larger than 32 K needed
      Filename XFCN Bug
      fx internal SCSI terminator
      Hypercard 2.0 and Netnews Reader...
      IIci & KanjiTalk 6.0 & Hanzi 4.3
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #181 (2 msgs)
      InfoMac #181 and Laser printers
      init for internal modem
      Mac Classic
      Monitor problems
      None
      OzTex PostScript problem
      Printing a PS file to a newly switched-on printer
      robust impact printer wanted
      scheduling software
      symbolic logic courseware
      Text Editors
      THINK 4.0 WINDOW COLORS
      Wanted:  Kawasaki Screen Font

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 90 12:54:16 CDT
From: Pete Keleher <pete@rice.edu>
Subject: [*] Alpha 2.07

	Alpha is the programming editor for the rest of us. The Mac paradigm
	is fully supported, yet professional programmers aren't penalized
	for knowing what they are doing. Every function can be invoked via
	the mouse AND via the keyboard.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/alpha-207.hqx; 230K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 06:30:21 EST
From: dmg@lid.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: Apple's Token Ring card

Does Apple's Token Ring card connect to a Token Ring LAN operating at 16M?

How would I connect a Mac to a 16M Token Ring LAN if Apple's card doesn't
operate at 16M?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Nov 90 10:25:27 SST
From: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: ARMOR ALLEY

I just bought Armor Alley. It is published by Three Sixty.
Anyone who has played Rescue Raiders on the good old Apple II
will be comfortable with Armor Alley. It is exactly the same,
except for better graphics and sound and multiplayer support
over modem (2 players) and appletalk (4 players). But it is
quite slow. And oh yes, it runs in 16 colors on a Mac II or LC.
The best thing is that the version for MSDOS can be networked
with appletalk or modem with Macs.

FLAME ON:
Why 16 colors? Is it because most color machines are 16 colors?
The Mac has an architecture that is depth independent. Why can't
the original be written in 256 colors? Are Macs slow in graphics
when in 256 color mode? Seems to me this is most likely the case,
especially where animation is concern.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Nov 90 12:19:34 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: ATM1.2/Sys6.0.7/QuantumThanks

On Fri, 26 Oct 90 14:26:18 EDT you said:
>REQUEST: I believe After Dark is SHAREWARE... could somebody PLEASE put this
>         in the archives as I believe it was a VERY "hot" item.

After Dark is NOT shareware, although many of the modules for different
screens are freeware (the Moire module is shareware).  However, After Dark
is as inexpensive as most shareware ($22 from MacConnection - 1-800-334-4444).
I bought it, and I like it though I must say that I think it responsible
in one way or another for the majority of my system crashes (I tried
Moire which IS shareware and it too encourages crashes as do other screen
savers in my estimation -- screen savers have to "fool" System and in doing
so they sometimes get in the way).

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 13:13 EST
From: "Bill Doemel, Director of Computer Services" <DOEMELB%Wabash.Bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: CD ROM drives on AppleShare Server

Date sent:  6-NOV-1990 13:05:59
Friends,
I need advice on how to connect an Apple CD_ROM to an AppleShare Server.
Presently, I have an 80 MB Cobra drive by Rodime Systems.  When I boot the
server with the CD player installed before or after the Cobra Drive, the
system stops at the Welcome to Macintosh Message.

Please send suggestions direct.
Thanks.
Bill
Bill Doemel                         Office: (317)-364-4311
Director of Computer Services       BitNET: DoemelB@Wabash.BITNET
Wabash College                      AppleLink: U0846
Crawfordsville, IN 47933

------------------------------

Date: Tue 6 Nov 90 18:40:30-HST
From: Harold Miller <CNET2SH@uhccvx.uhcc.hawaii.edu>
Subject: classic vs SE

This big question I have is:  why didn't they put the slot in the
Classic like they had in the SE.  Now, the Classic has NO expandability
(like the PLUS) and the price of buying an expandable Mac has just
doubled, at least.  Why?
Harold Miller
Maui, HI
CNET2SH@UHCCVX.BITNET
-------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 19:59:19 EST
From: wang@pennmess.physics.upenn.edu ( Huangxin Wang)
Subject: Code for mix Paint and Text?

Can anyone give me an example code (or just some ideas) for mixing
painting in text (or read out a file including text and painting)?
Thanks!
		Huangxin Wang, University of Pennsylvania

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 19:54:56 EST
From: wang@pennmess.physics.upenn.edu ( Huangxin Wang)
Subject: Code for text edit larger than 32 K needed

I saw in recent MacUser Programming section, it mentioned about how to
view text file larger than 32K.  Is anyone out there has the code?
Specifically, I want to know how to use TextEdit for file larger than 32K.

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 16:18:50 PST
From: PUGH%CCV.ESNET@ccc.nersc.gov
Subject: Filename XFCN Bug

FYI, There is a minor bug in the filename and newFilename XFCNs written by
Andrew Gilmartin and myself.

The stack "New and Old FileName" contains these XCMDs. The bug is not fatal
but is merely annoying and only appears with Hypercard 2.0, not with 1.2.x.
The bug manifests itself as a stray modal dialog window.  It appears as a
blank line in the HC2.0 function THE WINDOWS.  It comes from prefetching the
dialog resource and centering it but not disposing of it after calling the
SFGetFile or SFPutFile routines.  Steve Maller's original XFCNs probably did
not have this problem since he didn't center the dialog over the HC window
like we did.

This is all moot since the prefered method in HC2.0 is to use the ASK FILE and
ANSWER FILE commands to get file names.  This is why I have not posted an
updated stack.  It seems that the file has migrated out of Sumex which
prevents people from propagating it farther.

Jon

   N         L                  pugh@ccc.nersc.gov
    E    A    L    National Energy Research Supercomputer Center
     R    T    N      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
      S         L                PO Box 5509 L-561
       C                    Livermore, California 94551
                                  (415) 423-4239

------------------------------

Date: 6 Nov 90 13:36:00 EDT
From: "CAPT. RICHARD BERRY" <rberry@hrllr.wpafb.af.mil>
Subject: fx internal SCSI terminator

                  I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M

                                        Date:     06-Nov-1990 13:18 GMT
                                        From:     Capt. Richard Berry
                                                  RBERRY
                                        Dept:     LRL
                                        Tel No:   (513)255-3871 or AV 785-3871

TO:  _MAILER!                             ( _DDN[INFO-MAC-REQUEST@[36.44.0.6]] )

We have been busily upgrading our Macs to fx's and a question
about the internal SCSI terminator has come up.  If the fx has an
internal hard drive, is the gray portion of the terminator (the
portion with the male and female connectors) used?  Where is it
attached?  At the board or on the drive?  Is it even needed?

Also, has NCSA Telnet been upgraded past version 2.3?  If so
where can I FTP to find a new copy?

Thanks.  RBERRY@131.4.7.1

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 90 08:14:18 WST
From: peterj%swanee.ee.uwa.OZ@uunet.uu.net (Peter E. Jones)
Subject: Hypercard 2.0 and Netnews Reader...

Have you tried "set user level to 5" in the message box & then look at the
scripts?

  .-_!\   Peter Jones				Phone: +61 9 380 3100
 /     \  Electrical & Electronic Eng		Fax:   +61 9 380 1065
 *_.-._/  University of Western Australia
      o   Nedlands, Perth, W. Australia 6009	E-mail: peterj@swanee.uwa.oz

------------------------------

Date: 6 Nov 90 12:20:14 JST
From: nojima@may.ntt.jp
Subject: IIci & KanjiTalk 6.0 & Hanzi 4.3

Hi

> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 90 18:21 +0800
> From: DTPALMER%HKUCC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
> Subject: IIci & KanjiTalk 6.0 & Hanzi 4.3
>
> I just got a IIci and am pleased.  I am extremely unpleased to find
> out that my Japanese and Chinese systems that were fine on my SE/30 no
> longer work.

IIci needs KanjiTalk 6.0.5 or later.  (KanjiTalk 6.0.7 is the
latest version.) You can buy KanjiTalk 6.0.5 from Apple Japan
for 70000yen (approx. $500).

I know that APDA sells KanjiTalk at much cheaper price; I
don't know the version, and I don't know if it works on IIci,
either.

                        $BLnEg5WM:(B
                        NOJIMA Hisao
                        nojima@nttlab.ntt.jp

------------------------------

Date: 06 Nov 90 16:37:40 EDT
From: SJPORTE@asc.upenn.edu
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #181

Re: help for transferring text files from ancient systems.

Generally, disks created by dedicated word processors are a lost cause.  Your
best bet is to you an RS232 connection, if the hardware you were using had one.
Generate your text files on the old system, fire up the communications
software, and send the text files over an RS232 cable to the Mac or whatever
system you're transferring to, which is running a terminal program and
receiving the data.  Then you're all set.

Jeff Porten, Annenberg School for Communication, UPenn

------------------------------

Date: 06 Nov 90 16:40:02 EDT
From: SJPORTE@asc.upenn.edu

Help needed for a printer driver.  I need a Mac driver that can run a
Citizen HSP-550.  We currently have a LAN network with IBMs and Macs hooked
up to the Citizen, a Laserwriter, and an Imagewriter II.  The IBMs can run
all three printers, but the Macs can't get to the Citizen, which can cause
problems when there are ten thousand documents (figuratively) queued to the
IWII and the Laserwriter isn't operational.

Jeff Porten, Annenberg School for Communications, UPenn

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 15:17:32 EST
From: CON-ETDL-COM <contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: InfoMac #181 and Laser printers

The question is:
>bobw@gdstech.grumman.com (Bob Waffenschmidt)
>Subject: HP LaserWriter
>
>We will be purchasing a new laser printer for our appletalk network.
>Our network has both Macs and PC's.  Does any one have any good or bad
>experineces with the HP (or other)  alternatives to the the Apple laser writer.
>Thanks in advance!

I'm working in a lab of IIci/fx/x machines with Apple NTX and NewGen printers.
I cannot, unfortunately, recommend the NewGen printer.  Sure, it's cheaper
and a little faster (once you add the extra memory), but we've had nothing
but problems here with pages printing incorrectly, font downloads crashing
the Mac or the printer or both, and the printer jamming the LocalTalk net.
NewGen has given us a ROM upgrade that fixed some of the problems, but not
enough of them, and their TechSupport seems pretty lame.

I have no affiliation with any of the aforementioned firms...

Hope this helps
----------
 George F Tempel, Vitronics, Inc | internet: contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil
 America OnLine: gftempel4, CompuServe: 76047,70
[ end of message ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 17:15:16 -0500
From: prm@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Paul R McMullin (S1A))
Subject: init for internal modem

A friend (not networked) has a <random manufacturer's> internal modem
in his MAC II, and finds that many software packages do not cooperate well
with it.  He is sure that someone somewhere should have written some sort
of init/CDEV that would "reflect" software interactions with the built-in
modem port onto the internal modem.  Does anyone know of such a beastie?
Thanks. prm@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 1990 16:10:25 PST
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: Mac Classic

> I have purchased a simple Classic with a single floppy drive recently.
> What really surprised me is that the machine has a fan inside while the
> Mac+ does not have one. Is it possible to disconnect the fan so as to
> get a really silent machine ?

I'm sure it's possible... open the case with a Torx driver and a case
puller, and unplug the fan (or snip & tape the wire).

I really do believe that this would be a _bad_ idea, though.  The Mac
Plus is infamous for its tendency to suffer from catastrophic failures
of the analog board (the power supply circuitry, video retrace and
flyback, etc.).  Most of the problems seem to be due to heat buildup...
the Plus gets quite hot inside due to its lack of a fan (it isn't known
as a "toaster" for nothing ;-).  Thermal cycling (heat-up/cool-down
cycles) cause solder joints to fatigue and crack; electrolytic
capacitors dry up and quit; and so forth.  Some Mac Plus owners have
gone through as many as three or four analog boards in as many years.

There's a very healthy market made up of externally-mounted fans for the
Mac Plus... such a fan (or even a convective "chimney" made of
cardboard) can greatly improve the chances that a Mac Plus will survive
through a given six-month period.

If you were to disconnect the fan in a Mac Classic, you'd be leaving
yourself vulnerable to the same sort of heat-related failures that have
plagued the Mac Plus since shortly after it was released.  It probably
wouldn't fail in exactly the same ways as a Plus would... but you'd very
probably shorten the machine's lifetime.  That'd be a shame.

>                           Another question I have is whether it is
> possible to connect an external 800k floppy to the Classic ?

I presume so... the SWIM chip in the Classic should work correctly with
both 800k and 1.44-meg drives.

However, you should not attempt to connect an old-style 400k external
drive to the Classic... it doesn't support these drives, and they will
not work.

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  6 Nov 90 23:18:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Donald Jackson Pickett <dp32+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Monitor problems

I have been having monitor problems w/ my Mac color monitor. I have a
IIcx w/ 8 megs, 8-bit color card, and the 13" monitor. I bought the
system fall '89

The monitor flickers - the screen image jumps up and down a little bit -
enougnh to be a pain in the ass. At first we thought it was because the
computer is now next to the stereo/speakers - large magnetic sources . .
.

There seems to be some correlation with turning the speakers off and
lack of flicker, but the screen flickers by itself sometimes.

What up?

Don

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Nov 90 18:23:01 AST
From: "Stewart Walker" <SWALKER%MTA.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: None

Date    11/6/90
Subject None
>From    Stewart Walker
To  infomac

REGARDING
RE:
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 90 20:11:27 EST
>From: dmg@lid.mitre.org (David Gursky)
Subject: All-in-one, LanWORKS...

Back in July, Apple and DEC announced a series of products to
facilitate
connecting Macs and VAXes together.  These products (All-in-one,
LanWORKS,
enhancements to DECnet, etc.) were suppose to hit the street 3rd
quarter
this year.  Have they?  Any thoughts on them?

* AlisaShare came down in price as of Nov. 1 and costs a lot less for
large groups of Macs as unlimited use license. They also have a 5
user license.
* APDA carry some of the Mac to VAX integration stuff for DECnet
tunnelling, etc.
* LANworks uses an older version of AlisaShare to do serving.
* So far the DEC product looks badly overpriced if you have many
machines.
* I will probably buy the Alisa product. I am also interested in this
matter.
Stewart Walker
Mount Allison University
Sackville, N.B.
CANADA
E0A 3C0
Bitnet: swalker@mta

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 90 12:46:31 JST
From: Dr. Paul Fons <paul@bk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Subject: OzTex PostScript problem

  I recently copied OzTeX 1.1 from a local ftp archive and installed it on
my Mac II following the instructions in the LaTeX-docs file.  While I can
preview things just fine (e.g. all the font files are being found) I find
I always end up with a PostScript error when I attempt to print anything to
my Apple NTX-J (Japanese extension Apple NTX II laser printer).  The error
occurs in the @setup routine in the DVItoPS.PS header that is used to
translate DVI -> PS.

STACK:
-dictionary-
/cmbx10.746
%%[ Error: invalidfont; OffendingCommand: definefont ]%%
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

Now when I print the PostScript to a file and examine the contents it is
clear that the appropriate font files are being found and loaded and that
the error may be related to the NTX-J (note I don't know PostScript and am
making intellgent guesses only).  This code fragment (from the PostScript
output) contains the line that causes the error

1 @bop0
/cmbx10.746 127 @newfont
/cmbx10.329 127 @newfont
/cmr10.329 127 @newfont
/cmtt10.329 127 @newfont
cmbx10.746 sf
[<00000003FFF0000000000000007FFFFF80000000000003FFFFFFF000000000000FFFFF
 ... this hex code definition continues for several lines

Here is the code for bop0 (begining of page)

/@bop0 {pop} def				% begin DVI page n

Here is the code for @newfont (where the error occurs)

/@newfont										% create new font dict
{ /maxchcode exch def
  /fontid exch def
  fontid 7 dict def
  fontid load begin
	  /FontType 3 def
	  /FontMatrix [1 0 0 -1 0 0] def		% -1 because y scale is negative
	  /FontBBox [0 0 1 1] def
	  /BitMaps maxchcode 1 add array def
	  /BuildChar {CharBuilder} def
	  /Encoding maxchcode 1 add array def
	  0 1 maxchcode {Encoding exch /.notdef put} for
	  end
  fontid fontid load definefont pop
} def

and CharBuilder is as follows

% The following character builder looks up the char data in the BitMaps array
% and paints the character:

/CharBuilder								% image one char
{ /ch-code exch def						% save the char code
  /font-dict exch def					% and the font dict
  /ch-data font-dict /BitMaps get
  ch-code get def
	  ch-advw 0
	  ch-xoff neg ch-height ch-yoff sub 1 sub neg	% -xo , -(ht-yo-1)
	  ch-width ch-xoff sub 1 sub ch-yoff				% (wd-xo-1) , yo
  setcachedevice
	  ch-width ch-height true
	  [1 0 0 -1 ch-xoff ch-yoff]		% bitmap sent top to bottom
	  {ch-image}
  imagemask
} def

  I would appreciate any help on this that may come along as OzTeX looks to
be a very nice system and this little PS error should be an easy thing to fix.

						Paul Fons
						Institute of Applied Physics
						University of Tsukuba
						Tsukuba Japan
						paul@bk.tsukuba.ac.jp

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 22:37:28 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Printing a PS file to a newly switched-on printer

>To create a file that contains a copy of Apple Prep, and hence should print
>regardless of whether the printer is newly switched on, use command-F instead
>of command-K (it's not option, by the way).

Uhh, typo maybe?  Command-K *does* produce a file with LaserPrep included.
K, F, and even Command-F do not.  Those keys will give you PostScript
files without LaserPrep.  I just tested it on a IIci with System 6.0.5.

An easier way to do it is to throw the init "laserFix" into your system
folder and add "AdlPrep" to your DA menu.  LaserFix will give you a disk
file option with a dialog box to let you control where the file is saved
and AdlPrep will let you add LaserPrep to these files afterwards.  Both
are available on Sumex.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 15:58:23 EST
From: Francis Taylor <narf@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: robust impact printer wanted

Hi.  Our company-with-growing-pains is also looking for a dot-matrix
impact printer that will print 5-part forms and is dead-nuts robust
and reliable.  Imagewriter compatibility is best, but a Mac printer
driver will do.  We want to print checks, invoices, packing lists,
etc.  Does anybody have any recommendations?  My impression is that an
Imagewriter II won't be able to cut it here. Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 6 Nov 90 18:42:55-HST
From: Harold Miller <CNET2SH@uhccvx.uhcc.hawaii.edu>
Subject: scheduling software

Does anyone know of or recommend a program for settin up class teaching
schedules (i.e. assigning teachers to rooms throughout the teaching day),
with some intelligent and easy-to-use "what-if" features (e.g. periods
of varying lengths)...this is for a small high school (300 students).
Preferebly not TOO expensive.
HArold Miller
Seabury Hall
MAui, Hawaii
CNET2SH@UHCCVX.BITNET
-------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 17:01 EDT
From: DAILEY@vaxsar.vassar.edu
Subject: symbolic logic courseware

Where might I find out about Mac programs for instruction in
symbolic logic?

Thanks, David Dailey

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Nov 90 12:26:30 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Text Editors

On Fri, 26 Oct 90 14:33:57 EDT you said:
>  Does anyone out there know of a cheap, possibly public domain, text
>editor.  Our microlab users are currently using Edit to prepare source
>files for input to MacFortran.  The problem is that Edit has problems
>with HFS files and thus must reside in the same folder as the files it
>edits.  Is there a simple editor out there that can open files, print,
>and as a bonus maybe have tabs and parens checking?

Take a look at McSink (in the info-mac archives and the shawdow archives
on BITNET).  I find it a pretty reasonable (not too expensive either)
editor.  The shareware fee is $45.  The same author wrote a more extensive
(highly similar with more feature) commercial version named Vantage (a
sales pitch for Vantage is in the docs for McSink).  I bought Vantage from
MacConnection (1-800-334-4444) for $52 (at only $7 more than the shareware
fee, I figured the extra features would be worth it, and my opinion, after
the fact, is that they are).

BTW I have no connection (other than as customer) with MacConnection.  I'm
not a heavy student of mail order ads, but from those I've purused, Mac
Connection's prices seem, on the whole, to be as good as anyone elses.
You may find Vantage (or After-Dark which I mentioned in an earlier message)
for a few dollars less (or more) at other outlets.

Date: Wed, 07 Nov 90 10:22:57 SST
From: TNG TH <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: THINK 4.0 WINDOW COLORS

Hi folks. Has anyone patched Think C 4.0 so that the editor windows
come up black on white (black background and white letterings)?
It is too much strain on the eyes to have it the other way round.
I have tried Kolor and Click Change, but it seems that Think C 4.0
sets its own window background color to white all the time.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 20:44 PST
From: Tigger <GREG@pomona.claremont.edu>
Subject: Wanted:  Kawasaki Screen Font

Some time ago, a friend had a screen font on his system called Kawasaki, and
now I'd like to get my hands on it again.  Does anyone out there in netland
have this font?  If it's pd/freeware/shareware, I'd like to get a copy.  If
it's a commercial item, I'd like to know where I can buy it.  Please e-mail
to me directly before sending the font.  I'll get it from just one person
to save bandwidth.  I'll post a summary (and the font itself, if possible)
to the net if there is sufficient interest.  TTFN!

Greg Orman                           Remember, you don't have to be a
greg@pomona.claremont.edu            menace to society to win!
greg@pomona.bitnet                   - Damon Killian, host of The Running Man

End of Info-Mac Digest