Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/10/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri,  9 Nov 90       Volume 8 : Issue 187

Today's Topics:

      800k internal drive
      Ada on the Mac?
      a GatorBox users mail list
      Anatomy Stacks
      Appleshare PC question
      Array boundaries in C (think C, V4)
      CRC on Mac
      databases
      Drive activity on internals
      Flame on Symantec
      IIci and 6.0.7 causes copy problems?
      IIfx & MacDrawII;Print Server
      Japanese word processing
      Mac Classic Vs. SE & Expansion Slot
      Mac Database Toolkits?
      MacHack '91 Call for Papers
      NCSA Telnet via FTP
      Netware 2.15C Mac VAPS
      PC as appleshare server?
      Printing PostSCript graphics from Word files
      Programming Q:
      Screensaver crashes
      SMALLTALK ON FX
      Survey: ][ in a Mac
      Thank you (WAS: HyperCard 2.0 and Netnews Reader)
      Think C 4.02 upgrader prog
      ufFile() in HyperTalk 2.0
      V8 #185- Callback Entrypoin

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Fri,  9 Nov 90 14:08:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Wai Sung Kok <wk0t+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: 800k internal drive

hello,
the internal 800k drive in my Mac+ just died on me, the local computer
store wants $197 just for a new drive.
Since I got a hard disk , I would like to force the Mac to boot off my
hard disk by diconnecting the internal disk drive.
Would this work? any better solution?
where can I get a internal disk drive cheaper?

thanks
-wai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 90 12:48 PDT
From: "costello@amstel.llnl.gov (415)422-1012" <COSTELLO@amstel.llnl.gov>
Subject: Ada on the Mac?

Greetings,
	I am seraching for an Ada compiler to run on the Mac.  I
have viewed a product (called MacAda?) which is fundamentally a window
into the workings of a compiler.  While a useful demonstration, it is not
an Ada compiler.  If anyone knows of a true compiler for the Mac (commercial
or [any]ware), please contact me.  I have been looking for some time with
no success.

Thanks again,

Ed Costello
(415) 422-1012 (days)
(415) 846-3394 (eves)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 90 10:09:19 EST
From: Loki Jorgenson Rm421 <loki@physics.mcgill.ca>
Subject: a GatorBox users mail list

	Another mail list for you mail-junkies-with-a-purpose:  Cayman
has started a list for GatorBox users to cooperate through.  It is at
"gbusers@cayman.com".  I am not sure if "gbusers-request" hits the
moderator or not.  Cayman says that they will be listening but will
only enter the fray if asked directly.

                              __        __
                             / /        \ \
Loki Jorgenson	            / /\/\/\/\/\/\ \  node:  loki@physics.mcgill.ca
Physics, McGill University < <            > > fax:   (514) 398-3733
Montreal Quebec CANADA	    \ \/\/\/\/\/\/ /  phone: (514) 398-6531
                             \_\        /_/
    __                                                             __
   <_< Claimer:  I speak for everyone in their right mind... mine. >_>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 90 20:55:21 EST
From: "Gregory E. Gilbert" <C0195%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Anatomy Stacks

Does any one have any anatomy stacks or have a source where I might get some?
Of particular interest are stacks concerning the anatomy of the eye.  Thanks
much, I greatly appreciate your assistance.  Regards,

                                                Greg.

Postal address: Gregory E. Gilbert
                Computer Services Division
                University of South Carolina
                Columbia, South Carolina   USA   29208
                (803) 777-6015

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 90 15:00:42 EST
From: Francis Taylor <narf@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Subject: Appleshare PC question

Sorry to make Mac users look at this, but sometimes life requires one
to make compromises.  Does anyone have any experiences, good or bad,
with Appleshare PC?

I have some questions about it that are not answered in their
literature:

- does it work with the TOPS (Centram Systems...) LocalTalk card?
- does it work with EMS?
- how much memory does it use?
- How do they deal with the newline problem?
- Do you generally find it to be useful, or a pain in the ass?

Thanks for your time.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Nov 90 10:54:26 EST
From: Chris Jones <UOG00162%VM.UoGuelph.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Array boundaries in C (think C, V4)

What kinds of interesting ways can a person employ to get around that nasty
32767 byte limit that C has?  I need an array of not less than 65536 cells,
or the equivalent.  I would like to be able to do it without allocating memory
& storing/manipulating all that manually.  any ideas?

(anything at all appreciated!!)

Chris Jones
UOG00162@VM.UOGUELPH

OPPCODE: SCTR   Stick Card To Reader
OPPCODE: RTS    Return To Sender

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Nov 90 20:27:30 GMT
From: Donald Peterson <PetersonDM@computer-science.birmingham.ac.uk>
Subject: CRC on Mac

I have a Mac Classic with Word 4 and OzTeX (LaTeX), and access to an
Apple LaserWriter. I have to produce high quality text output,
sometimes for camera ready copy, with some math symbols.

I'd much rather use Word 4 (as it's WISIWYG), but so far the quality
of text has not been so good as that from LaTeX, so I've been using
that, despite the extra work.

Basically, the (automatic) paragraph formatting with LaTeX is far
better (from the inter-letter kerning, through inter word-spacing, to
the general formatting of the paragraph), giving a much better
appearance on the page.

In contrast, Word's output has an uneven "typical Mac look", not at
all like a hand-set book etc.

Can anyone tell me how to remedy this? Would Adobe fonts help? Or
could I put Word's output through Quark Express or PageMaker to
improve the formatting?

Also, in LateX you get all necessary math symbols. What I mostly need
is Predicate Calculus and Set Notation. Would an extra font help with
Word, or is there some other way of getting the necessary symbols?

Thanks,

Donald Peterson.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 90 16:16:13 EST
From: "Richard M. Davis" <N700080@univscvm.csd.scarolina.edu>
Subject: databases

I'm interested in setting up a simple database for a novice mac user.
The database needs to include approximately 100 columns and an unlimited
number of row with numeric and character fields.  It would be nice to include
miscellaneous statements in fields and have the ability to number crunch.
The database will contain patient information in the medical field.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 90 12:58:39 CST
From: strick@slcs.slb.com (Don Strickland)
Subject: Drive activity on internals

  I use 'In Use 2.0' on both the portable and my MacIIcx.  The
  cx is on a shelf (almost) out of sight.  In Use 2.0 not only
  shows activity, but it tells me which SCSI device is active.

  It blinks a small number (0-7) in the corner, next to the
  Apple.  In Use is in the sumex archives.

> Subject: Drive light INIT for internals
>
> In v8-180, robert wilson <RWILSON%UTCVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
> writes:
>
> > Apple doesn't allow the user to see the drive indicator light on
> > internal hard drives.  Is there an init which places a light icon in
> > the menu bar that turns on when there is disk activity?  If not how
> > hard would it be write?
>
> Better still, how about lighting one of the unused lights on the
> keyboard?
>
> --
> Shannon Spires
> Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM
> Internet: SVSPIRE@SANDIA.GOV

Don W Strickland                        Internet:   strick@slcs.slb.com
                                        Compuserve: 70531,2666
Austin, Texas                           AppleLink:  N1090
Schlumberger Lab for Computer Science   Connect:    strick

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 21:03:32 +0100
From: Rainer Daeschler <agda001%CONVEX.ZDV.UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Flame on Symantec

>    6) Another call to the nearest dealer only worsened the problem: the cost
>       of the upgrade (which for THINK C is $69 in the US) is $250 in
>       Austria! There is no localization involved whatsoever so I simply
>       cannot understand where the large price-difference comes into play.

This is not the only company doing that. It is hard to understand
why software changes it price to that extend, just for a
nationals release. For a word-processor, national modification
are necessary, since the spellingchecker and the
hyphenation-algorithm has to be changed. For a compiler it is
rediciulus. The compiler has to tranlate into the machine-code
for a motorola chip, not into Austrian German.

If the software companies don't stop their distributors to ripp
off their customers, the customers ripp off them, either by
changing to another product or using the *only remaining way*.

There quite a few software-companies who really encourage
software-piracy as an act of self-defence. Even those, who are,
inspite of over charging, ready to sign the cheque, will be happy
to get their software through illegal international channels
instead.

I hope those of the software-companies out there *wakes up*
now.

Here is an advice for any software manufacturer and distributor

	don't charge higher prices for software in Europe than in
        the US. If you ripp off your customers, they 'll pay it
        back! (US-prices are no secret here, since europeans have
        electric light, use car and telephon, and read ENGLISH
        magazines)

        if sombody want's a new version or update from outside US,
        don't argue ---- just deliver!

-Rainer

    -------------------------+-------------------------------------
    Rainer Daeschler         | Telex.: 7-262867 utzv d
    Tuebingen University     | Fax:    (07071) 293989
    Department of Japanese   | Tel.:   (07071) 296985
    Studies                  |
    Wilhelmstr.90            |
    7400 Tuebingen           | INTERNET:
    Germany                  | agda001@convex.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
    -------------------------+-------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Nov 90 19:12:34 EST
From: Frank Steele <FSTEELE@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: IIci and 6.0.7 causes copy problems?

A friend is having trouble with a Mac IIci and his hard drive. The drive works
perfectly except when he tries to copy something from a floppy disk onto the
hard drive. Then it gets about halfway and freezes. Copying from the hard drive
to the floppy works perfectly well.
 This symptom first turned up immediately after he installed Sys 6.07. A return
to 6.05, however, has had no effect on the problem.
 Any help would be appreciated.
 Frank Steele
 FSTEELE@UGA : Bitnet
 STEELE@athena.cs.uga.edu
 FrankST : America Online

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 90 14:24:57 PST
From: marty@radarsun.jpl.nasa.gov (Marty Slade)
Subject: IIfx & MacDrawII;Print Server

Two questions for Cyberspace out there:

MacDraw II seem to want an inordinate amount of memory in its MultiFInder
partition before it will condescend to run. ANyone else notice this?

The impatient users on our LocalTalk network want to know the status of
their printing on the Print Server on our AppleShare fileserver. Is there
any way that the info on the Spooler Queue window could be braodcast to
any/everyone?
   (sorry for mistypings-this is 2nd try for posting this and the Outgoing
file seems to have been munged)
              Marty Slade
              818-354-2765
Any opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect official positions of
Caltech or JPL.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 90 10:46:48 EST
From: joan@cs.uri.edu (Joan Peckham)
Subject: Japanese word processing

I am trying to find out if there is some Japanese word processing
software available for Macintosh PC's.  Can you help?
                                          JOAN

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 90 04:58 CDT
From: Kyle Griffin -- Enthusiast <KG0041A@acad.drake.edu>
Subject: Mac Classic Vs. SE & Expansion Slot

In InfoMac Digest V8 #184, Harold Miller wrote:

> This big question I have is:  why didn't they put the slot in the
> Classic like they had in the SE.  Now, the Classic has NO expandability
> (like the PLUS) and the price of buying an expandable Mac has just
> doubled, at least.  Why?

According to the MacWorld of November 1990, the special newsstand edition in
which they gave a sneak preview of the news Macs, they said this:

"Because Apple found that 90 percent of current SE owners do not add boards,
the Classic does not include a slot."

Any questions?

Kyle Griffin                   No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity,
Kg0041a@Drake                  But I know none, and therefore am no beast.
Kg0041a@Acad.Drake.Edu                      -- Shakespeare

------------------------------

Date: 9 Nov 90 14:37:12
From: Pete Roberts <Pete_Roberts@qmlink.draper.com>
Subject: Mac Database Toolkits?

                       Subject:                               Time: 10:36 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          Mac Database Toolkits?                 Date: 11/7/90
  On main- and mini-frames database-development products are typically provided
in the form of an engine and a toolkit of callable components with which
developers create database applications.
  My question is, does such a product exist for strictly Macintosh-resident
databases?  We are interested in developing a database accessible in a
concurrent fashion by 10 to 20 Mac users on an AppleTalk network.
  I am familiar with products such as 4th Dimension, Omnis 5, FoxBASE+/Mac and
Double Helix, and know that the first two, at least, support native-code
extensions in a manner analogous to HyperCard.  But all seem to come bundled
with a restriction that application development be done within a
product-specific development environment.  We would rather operate in native
mode (meaning, for example, creating the application in a Think C environment),
because the database is only a means to an end: the application is primarily
involved with statistical analysis and remote process control.
  Thanks in advance for any guidance you may be able to give in this matter.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 90 19:52:54 EST
From: waldemar@ai.mit.edu (Waldemar Horwat)
Subject: MacHack '91 Call for Papers

                                Call for Papers

                                  MacHack '91
                              June 19 - 21, 1991
                              Ann Arbor, Michigan

The MacHack '91 Proceedings Committee is soliciting papers for the sixth annual
MacHack conference.  The conference is a technical forum on the Macintosh
computer and personal computing in general and includes programming,
networking, operating system, tools, novice, business, and research tracks.
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:

  Future Evolution of Personal Computing
  Object-Oriented Programming
  Parallel Processing
  Intelligent Applications
  Networking
  Simulation
  Graphics and Multimedia
  User Interface Research

  Case studies
  Project Development
  Legal Aspects of Computing

  Macintosh System 7.0 and beyond
  A/UX
  OS/2 and Windows 3.0
  Macintosh Hardware and Cards
  International Programming
  Macintosh Languages and Tools

  Useful Algorithms and Hacks
  Hacking in the '90s

Paper presenters will receive free conference registrations and special
recognition.

Please submit short abstracts (one page or less) by February 1, 1991.  Papers
are due by May 1, 1991.

                        For more information contact:

                          Waldemar Horwat, Proceedings Chairman or
                          Carol Lynn, Expotech:

                        Expotech, Inc.
                        1264 Bedford Rd.
                        Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
                        313-882-1824

                        Internet: waldemar@hx.lcs.mit.edu,
                                  expotech@applelink.apple.com
                        CIS: 72000,400
                        AppleLink, GEnie or MacNet: EXPOTECH

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Nov 90 12:19:20 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel <YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu>
Subject: NCSA Telnet via FTP

The official site is ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.

- -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - --
Joshua Yeidel                         YEIDEL@WSUVM1.BITNET
Academic Computing Services           YEIDEL@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
Washington State University           (509) 335-0441
Pullman, WA 99164-1226
DISCLAIMER: I'm speaking solely for myself here, not Washington State U.
-- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- -

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 90 19:55:08 +0100
From: macbeth%netmbx%tmpmbx.UUCP@forsythe.stanford.edu (Andreas Pahl)
Subject: Netware 2.15C Mac VAPS

First, I'm not sure if it will work to install the Netware Internal Bridge
with the econfig-card and the NE2000 with Appletalk. I doubt it.

We recently made our internal bridge an external one. This was the big hit,
since there are no more fights between PC-users and MAC-users, just in case
there's something wrong with the vaps (and there was a LOT during the last
year!). Now, with the external bridge, just reboot the bridge, and the sun
will shine again. (this really is a big advantage: just imagine being
between 100 PC-developers and 30 MAC-developers! Surviving is art!)

Just install an external bridge using a 286 (a 8086 will work, but slowly
when serving more than 10 users) with one network card (NE2000 e.g.),
attach your servers (yes, it can be more than one!) to it, install
your queues (if you own a appletalk card)
AND LEAN BACK!

Rainer Raupach
Network Manager VW-GEDAS
Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49 30 39007-629
Disclaimer:   **** Life's a bitch. Then you die. ****

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Nov 90 11:28 H
From: <VNG%NUSDISCS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: PC as appleshare server?

Hi Netters

Is there such a product that allows the PC to be used as an Appleshare
server?? If there is can anyone kindly provide me with the Apple part number
as well as some feedback on the product.. thank you.

Vincent

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  9 Nov 90  18:21:40 MST
From: EPETERS%CSUGREEN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Printing PostSCript graphics from Word files

Hello again:

I would like to know if anyone has ever been successful in importing an
encapsulated PostScript file into Word 4.0.  The directions for importing
such a file, modifying it, giving it the PostScript style and having it
print successfully from within a Word document appear to work only if the
EPSF file is from Adobe Illustrator.

I know that there are different 'versions' of PostScript and that not
all are equivalent (I have had similar problems with the SmartArt DA).
What I would like to know is: a) is there an intermediate program that
I can import FreeHand EPSF files into, which will export to a version of
EPSF that Word can understand (I have not tried importing into Adobe
Illustrator myself, as I and everyone I know hates it:  we much prefer
FreeHand), or b) does anyone know how to edit a FreeHand EPSF file so
that it is printed correctly by Word?

Thanks very much.  I lust for your answers, and will summarize direct
replies for the Digest.

Eric

* Eric L. Peters                      Voice: (303)491-5343  FAX: 491-0623 *
* Dept. of Radiology & Radiation Biology     BITNET:     EPETERS@CSUGREEN *
* Colorado State University                  INTERNET:           EPETERS  *
* Fort Collins, CO 80523                       CSUGREEN.UCC.COLOSTATE.EDU *

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 90 21:23:45
From: rhz@cwns4.ins.cwru.edu (Robert H. Zakon)
Subject: Programming Q:

How can I find out the current monitor settings on a Mac.
I need to know if it's Grays or Colors and the depth.
There's a TN that show how to SetDepth, but none that gets it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  Robert H. Zakon
  Case Western Reserve Univ.
  Internet: rhz@po.cwru.edu

PS: Does your company do extensive work with Macs?
    Are they looking to hire a very knowledgeable (except for the above
    Q) Mac (and PC, workstation, oop, networking, ...) person?
    Please drop me a piece of e-mail w/ the USNail address where I can
    drop a resume. Thanks again.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Nov 90 11:41:43 CST
From: Graeme Forbes <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Screensaver crashes

Like Murph Sewall (#184) I also suspected screensavers in most of my
system crashes, tho' After Dark seemed relatively safe. A better solution
has been devised by Michael Libes (Luni) whose modular screensaver
Darkness is an application which runs in the background under MultiFinder
(I forget whether it works in UniFinder). It appears to be very stable.
It's in the archives, under App, I think.

Graeme Forbes
PL0BALF@TCSVM

------------------------------

Date: 9 Nov 90 04:33:05 GMT
From: pnm@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Paul "BigEars" Menon)
Subject: SMALLTALK ON FX

Info-Mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (T.I.U : KAZUYUKI KONKO) writes:

    > HELLO .

    > DOSE ANYONE KNOW THAT SMALLTALK(PARCPLACE) ON A FX(6.0.5) CAN RUNNING ?
Yes.

    > 1. HOW MUCH MEMORIES DOSE IT NEED ?
5 MB at least is advisable (8M is good)

    > 2. HOW MUCH DISKS DOSE IT NEED ?
Lots, the basic system is > 5.8 MB.  Then comes "your" stuff.

PS: This is for Objectworks/Smalltalk 2.5 - Objectworks\Smalltalk release 4.0
    is "out", maybe you should look at that.

Good Luck.

    Paul Menon,		(Still waiting for release 4.0)
    Dept of Computer Science,
    Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
    124 Latrobe Street,
    Melbourne 3001,
    Victoria, Australia.

pnm@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU
PH:	+61 3 660 3209

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 90 08:28 CST
From: <MWW%TNTECH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Michael W. Wheeler)
Subject: Survey: ][ in a Mac

I have a friend who has a MAC IIcx but also has A LOT of Apple ][e
software which he would like to run on his Mac. He doesn't have the
money to buy a Mac LC with the ][e emulation card. So he is really
hoping that a software package from COMPUTER:applications,Inc. called
][ in a Mac $149.95 (An Apple ][e emulator that is all software) will
do the trick for him.

Does anyone have any experience with this software good or bad? Even
if you've had no direct experience but have heard about the package
either good or bad I would like to hear about it. So let me know and I
will submit a summary or report to the net if I get any responses.

Michael W. Wheeler  (Bitnet: mww@tntech)
VAX/VMS Systems Support Specialist
Tennessee Technological University
Box 5071
Cookeville, TN  38505
(615) 372-3977

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Nov 90 14:28:00 EST
From: Jason <jblue@mwunix.mitre.org>
Subject: Thank you (WAS: HyperCard 2.0 and Netnews Reader)

Thanks go to George F Tempel, Eric Meininger, Bruce Carter, Graeme Forbes,
Harold Miller, Craig Prall, Tony Lim, Charles Hawkins, and Mingo n Hancock.
All of them responded to my request regarding Netnews Reader not working in
HC 2.0.  Special thanks go to Craig Prall, who put me on the right track when
he suggested that some "garbage characters" entered the stack.

For others who find that Netnews Reader does not work properly in HC 2.0
you must first give yourself scripting privileges (as described many times
in the past few digests) and perform the following changes to the script:

1.  In the call for closeStack (on closeStack), the line
       Shall I compact it for you?","Yes","No")
    is missing a double quote at the beginning.

2.  In the function spareseremove, the last "end if..." line
       end if - we're in the range of the vector
    is missing a second hypen to properly comment the comment on that line.

After performing the two changes the stack works fine in HyperCard 2.0.

Any comments are appreciated.

=From the desk of: *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
*  Jason D. Blue                          =  User Services                  *
=  User Support Center Specialist         *  The MITRE Corporation          =
*  jblue@mwunix.mitre.org                 =  703-883-7999                   *
Disclaimer:     The views expressed above are my own and do not reflect the
                position of my employer.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Nov 90 21:41:51 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Think C 4.02 upgrader prog

Stark Raving mentioned a a Think C 4.0 updater being on info-mac. I could not
find it. Where should I be looking? What is AOL? Can you send me a copy? Will
Stark cough up the goods, or will his sidekick Greg Trimper save the day?
Acknowledge-To: <V5296E@TEMPLEVM>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 90 12:37:23 CST
From: strick@slcs.slb.com (Don Strickland)
Subject: ufFile() in HyperTalk 2.0

Here's a simple function that makes it easy to request a
filename for reading or writing using HyperTalk 2.0.  I personally
don't understand why Apple chose to use two different commands.

function ufFile io, prompt, nameType
  -- by Don W Strickland
  -- HyperCard 2.0 required
  -- io ....... (i)nput or (o)utput filename requested
  -- prompt ... tell the user what's going on
  -- nameType . either the file TYPE (input) or default NAME (output)
  if io is "G" then
    if nameType is EMPTY then put "TEXT" into nameType
    if prompt is EMPTY then put "Open '" & nameType & "' file ..." into prompt
    answer file prompt of type nameType
  else
    if nameType is EMPTY then put "untitled"    into nameType
    if prompt   is EMPTY then put "Save as ..." into prompt
    ask file prompt with nameType
  end if
  return it
end ufFile

-- example useage
on example
  -- this line will prompt the user to select a TEXT file for reading
  put ufFile("G","Open a TEXT file ...","TEXT")
  -- this line will prompt the user to name a file for Writing
  put ufFile("P","Save as ...","My Report")
end example

Date: 9 Nov 90 14:04:28
From: Pete Roberts <Pete_Roberts@qmlink.draper.com>
Subject: V8 #185- Callback Entrypoin

  OFFICE MEMO          V8 #185: Callback Entrypoints?         Date: 11/7/90
  I received an informative reply very quickly to my question in InfoMac #185
concerning how the callback entrypoint mechanism might be implemented when the
extensions doing the callbacks are separately compiled and linked.  The reply
is given below.
  -- Pete Roberts
I don't know know about the others, but HyperCard at any rate passes
the callback address in the paramblock it hands to the XCMD/XFCN. The
glue code that you link with (SendHCMessgae et al) uses this to call
HC functions. If you peruse an early version of "HyperXCmd.h" (or its
Pascal equivalent), all will be clear. The latest MPW releases have
the glue already compiled (assembled?) as an obj file, but the
earlier HC interfaces had them as inline code in the header file.

Best regards

--
Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

uucp:	...!ukc!nan!sw
other:	sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk
phone:  (+44) 203 419996
telex:  9312130355 (SW G)
snail:  178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

End of Info-Mac Digest