Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/15/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Wed, 14 Nov 90       Volume 8 : Issue 190

Today's Topics:

      [*] BNDL and MENU patches for ResEdit 1.2
      [*] macmimic-10.hqx
      [*] MandelZot 3.0
      [*] Report - Macintosh Educational Prices
      Array boundaries in C (think C, V4)
      Bad Bug in Hypercard 2.0 ...no reply from the hypercard team.....
      Cleaning the keyboard
      drive light to keyboard (?)
      Educational/Math software
      educational scheduling software
      Flame on Symantec
      Graphing Functions
      Help with FoxBase+/Mac
      Hidden Screen Help
      Mysterious NCSA Telnet Crashes
      New Educational Fractal Software
      No Desktop file & no room to put it??
      non-USA purchases
      Pasting into Word.
      Quark & new keyboard resources are a pain
      Question about database packages
      Stuffit Deluxe bugs?
      Thanks!
      THINK C with no errors
      Turbo Pascal Fonts on Mac - any ideas !
      Voice Recognition and SID
      What can be done with surplus 256K SIMMs?

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Tue, 2 Oct 90 10:29:17 -0700
From: Greg L. Anderson <greggor@apple.com>
Subject: [*] BNDL and MENU patches for ResEdit 1.2

This file contains the patches to ResEdit 1.2 written by Alan T. Goates.
They add improved BNDL and MENU editors.

[Archived as /info-mac/resedit-12-bndl-menu.hqx; 45K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 10:12:46 +0100
From: Anders Sundin <sundinKC@dna.lth.se>
Subject: [*] macmimic-10.hqx

This is a demo of the release version of MacMimic (version 1.0).

MacMimic is an application for the display, construction and
comparison of molecular models in full 3-D. It runs on the
Macintosh II family of computers and it requires a 256 colour
monitor and 2 MBytes of memory.

All features of the full version are included in the demo, except
that the demo can not save or print molecules.

I intend to always keep the newest version of the MacMimic demo
available by anonymous ftp from pollux.lu.se 130.235.132.89
in the directory pub/mac/demo

Anders Sundin          mail: Organic Chemistry 2, Chemical Center
email:                       Box 124
sundinKC@dna.lth.se          S-221 00 Lund
ok2aps@seldc52.bitnet        Sweden

[Archived as /info-mac/demo/macmimic-10.hqx; 221K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 18:30:08 PDT
From: dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt)
Subject: [*] MandelZot 3.0

This posting contains version 3.0 of MandelZot, a program for exploring
the Mandelbrot set and other fractals.  This version replaces version
2.1, released at about this time last year.

Version 3.0 has two major enhancements over earlier versions:

*  It's extensible... it can iterate formulae other than the Mandelbrot
   quadratic.  You can write your own iteration modules, and use
   MandelZot to explore almost any formula you can think of.  You can
   even explore non-Mandelbrot'ish constructs, such as chaotic
   attractors.

*  It has improved support for 32-bit Color QuickDraw.  You can have
   thousands of colors on-screen if you have a 24-bit color card.  You
   can print (or create slides with) thousands of colors, even if you
   only have an 8-bit color card.  You can use dithering to view
   MandelZot's color images with a 4-bit (16-color) color card.

It also adheres much more closely to the Apple Human Interface
Guidelines (it has real "Open" and "Save" commands, for example).

This multi-part posting includes the MandelZot application itself, an
"Extensions" folder containing several colorsets and a chaotic attractor
module, and a "Coordinates" folder containing coordinate-point files
that you can investigate (many of these files were contributed by Wayne
Kauffman and Stuart Dole).

Documentation on version 3.0 follows in a separate posting.

If you happen to see a copy of the "Fractal Cosmos 1991" calendar in a
bookstore, take a look.  Four of the images in this year's calendar,
including the one on the cover, were calculated and imaged by people
using MandelZot 2.1.  [I have no financial interest in this calendar,
aside from the one free copy I received from the publishers.]

MandelZot is not in the public domain... I retain the copyright... but
anyone may use it for free, and pass it around via the usual freeware
distribution channels.  Just don't sell it without my permission!

Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com
  INTERNET:       coherent!dplatt@ames.arpa,  ...@uunet.uu.net
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

[Archived as /info-mac/app/mandelzot-30.hqx; 186K
             /info-mac/app/mandelzot-30-docs.hqx; 180K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90 14:09:22 PST
From: Jay_Handel@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: [*] Report - Macintosh Educational Prices

This report contains a comparison of educational prices for Apple's
new line-up of Macintosh computers.  It is the summary I promised
Info-Mac readers in my request for prices in the Info-Mac Digest
(Volume 8 : Issue 172).

This report includes prices from seven Canadian universities,

  * UBC, Simon Fraser, Waterloo, Laval, Saskatchewan, Calgary,
    and Manitoba,

and eight American universities,

  * Yale, Calvin College, Michigan Tech, LLNL (California),
    River Falls (Wisconsin), Buffalo (SUNY), Carnegie Mellon,
    and Tennesse Tech).

While the report is not exhaustive, it is, I believe, a fairly good
sampling of Mac prices.  Individuals contemplating the purchase of
a Macintosh should find it a useful reference.

The report is an 11-page MS Word 4.0 document, formatted to be
printed on a LaserWriter.  (I used Word in order to take advantage
of its table-making ability.)

The file is stuffed and binhexed.

Jay Handel
Administrative, Adult and Higher Education
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC

Internet: jay_handel@mtsg.ubc.ca  [preferred]
Bitnet:   userjayh@ubcmtsg

[Archived as /info-mac/report/university-prices.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90 10:52:03 LCL
From: Michael Perrone <A2MP%PSUORVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Array boundaries in C (think C, V4)

/*
Is not a "C" problem, it's inherent in the MC 680x0 architecture. So
you wont find any way around that. Here is an easy way that does not involve
dynamic memory allocation.
Create an abstract data type which you call as a function that
returns your array element type. The simplest solution is going to use 3 arrays
 - there's no way around that.  Consider:   */

/* global data structures */

 int first[32000], second[32000], third[10000];

int get_element(element)
int element;
{
  if(element<32000)
          return first[element];
        else
          if (element<64000)
            return second[element-32000];
          else
              return third[element-64000];
}

void insert_element(element, item)
int element, item;
{
  if(element<32000)
          first[element]=item;
        else
          if (element<64000)
            second[element-32000]=item;
          else
              third[element-64000]=item;
}
/* you probably want to add some error checking
| Michael Perrone, Macintosh Programmer                                 |
| Portland State University                                             |
| Office of Computing and Information Services                          |
| Microcomputer and Administrative Systems Services                     |
| Bitnet: a2mp@psuorvm.bitnet                                           |
| Internet: a2mp@psuorvm.cc.pdx.edu                                     |
| Voice: (503) 725-3112                                                 |
| Address: P.O. Box 751, Portland OR 97207                              |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90 11:16:08 PST
From: Tom Lincoln <lincoln%iris@rand.org>
Subject: Bad Bug in Hypercard 2.0 ...no reply from the hypercard team.....

I sent the following serious bug off on Oct 31 and expected to hear
something back. No luck.

Code of the type noted below is integral to stacks that I now support.
It allows one to add logic to menu commands -- to trap certain cases, to
give message feedback, etc. These are particularly important when
designing stacks for novice users.

How will Apple and Claris handle serious bugs that are brought to their
attention??

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90  16:59 GMT
From: Big Nose <LAWA%IAPE.AFRC.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Cleaning the keyboard

Dear All,

I just spilt coffee on my keyboard and mouse. I think I dried them out OK
and they seem to be working again, but the keys are a bit grubby anyway
and I was wondering if it is possible to take them off idividually and
clean both the keys and behind them. The mac itself is well out of warranty,
and well insured, so don't panic anyone. I'm not even going to think about
it again unless several people tell me they've done it OK.

Has anybody done this?

Andy Law.

LAWA @ UK.AC.AFRC.IAPE                                 Big Nose in Edinburgh

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 15:05:44 EST
From: George <ST701640@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: drive light to keyboard (?)

I noticed that there were a few cdevs or inits out there that could indicate
whether the Mac internal hard drive is working or not.  I'm one of those un-
fortunate many who's internal drive doesn't display a light to tell you when
the hard drive is working or not.  My question is this:
Is there any way that one can program an init or cdev that will show when the
hard drive is working, but to display the info as one of the extended keyboard
lights instead?  I think that would be less obtrusive than displaying the use
of the hard drive on the Mac screen, while still giving you information about
its operations.
     If this is possible, I'm wondering if anyone would actually program this
init.  I'm sure many people would appreciate it, and it's not even that diffi-
cult to program, I think.
     Thanks in advance...
George Lai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90 14:05:38 CST
From: ST5845%SIUCVMB.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Educational/Math software

I am looking for (mail order) dealers of Macintosh software
that carry or specialize in educational or mathematical
software.  If you know of any, I would be interested in
receiving addresses and phone numbers.  If I receive any
interesting answers, I will summarize for the net.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 14 Nov 90 06:02:10-HST
From: Harold Miller <CNET2SH@uhccvx.uhcc.hawaii.edu>
Subject: educational scheduling software

Recently I posted a request here asking for info on scheduling software for
our high school.
No one responded with answers, but several wanted to know more about it
themselves.
Fortunately, I also uploaded my request to Applelink, and got several
Two recommending the same program:
MacSchool...but I believe it is quite expensive.
Here is a typical message I received about it.
-------------------
Our school system uses the MacSchool scheduling module by Chancery Software.
It works great, with schools having enrollments up to 1600 students.  MacSchool
is a complete, integrated administrative package which features modules on
Library Automation, scheduling, student details, etc.  Seperate modules are
available if you do now wish to implement everything at once.  Send Chancery
E-Mail at Applelink D0023 and request a brochure.  You might want to call one
of our guidance counselors for more information.  Ken Wood at Ridgeland High
School is very familiar with the scheduling portion of MacSchool.  His # is
404-820-9063.

--------------------(end of message)
Another person had more to say about several other programs:

The Missouri School Boards Association markets a stand alone version of a
Macintosh scheduling program. Your contact at MSBA is Michael McClaskey at
800-221-MSBA.

Other than this, there are a number of full featured programs with scheduling
modules such as Mac School (800-663-8831), Modular Management for Schools
(603-664-5811) and SIMS (206-456-1888.)
----------------------(end of message)

If you don't have access to Applelink, you can email MacSchool on bitnet using
this address:   D0023@applelink.apple.com

Keep in mind that they can't REPLY to your message, so include your
mailing address and/or phone number.

Harold Miller
Maui, Hawaii
CNET2SH@UHCCVX.BITNET
-------

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 1990 13:44-0500
From: Mark Nahabedian <naha@yukon.scrc.symbolics.com>
Subject: Flame on Symantec

    Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 21:03:32 +0100
    From: Rainer Daeschler <agda001%CONVEX.ZDV.UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE@forsythe.stanford.edu>

    >    6) Another call to the nearest dealer only worsened the problem: the cost
    >       of the upgrade (which for THINK C is $69 in the US) is $250 in
    >       Austria! There is no localization involved whatsoever so I simply
    >       cannot understand where the large price-difference comes into play.

    This is not the only company doing that. It is hard to understand
    why software changes it price to that extend, just for a
    nationals release. For a word-processor, national modification
    are necessary, since the spellingchecker and the
    hyphenation-algorithm has to be changed. For a compiler it is
    rediciulus. The compiler has to tranlate into the machine-code
    for a motorola chip, not into Austrian German.

    [...]

I may be mistaken, but isn't Austria one of the countries with high data
and software import tariffs.  I've heard stories of people shipping
disks and tapes as "Used computer equiptment" The person theyu were
sending them to could afford to pay the duties on them.

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but there was a time when Canada
had an import duty on software that was proportional to its development
cost.

It's easy to imagine how such tariffs can be circumvented over the
telephone network.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90 18:56:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Donn Hoffman <dh1s+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Graphing Functions

I need a simple program for graphing functions, including integrals.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-- DH1S@ANDREW.CMU.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue 13 Nov 90 14:43:40-EST
From: s. filippi <FILIPPIS@a.isi.edu>
Subject: Help with FoxBase+/Mac

Greetings,

I am writing an application using FoxBase and I have a dilema.  I would like
to have one Form for input of data.  On that form I would like to have one
field called SSN that would get input from the user and place the data in
two seperate Database files.  I'm a novice with FoxBase and any help would
be greatly appreciated.
Please respond via email to filippis@a.isi.edu.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Filippi
filippis@a.isi.edu
-------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 1990 15:33:52 PST
From: Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com
Subject: Hidden Screen Help

I've heard that, at least on the original Mac II, there is a "Go" or other
shell command one can use after one has pressed the programers interupt switch
to see a hidden screen filled with bit-map scans of the development team.

I know that this sounds pretty childish (read: Nintendo-ish)... but I've tried
to convince my friend that such a screen exists, to no avail.

If anyone can help with the proper command, I'd appreciate it.

Carl

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 06:05:04 EST
From: Steve Cavrak <SJC%UVMVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mysterious NCSA Telnet Crashes

Patrick Bray of Think.Com reports mysterious crashed when running
NCSA Telnet sessions to a Sun 4/490.  They mystery was deeper than
usual because they are running a very large Macintosh client base
and this is the only machine that crashes.  Known nasty CDEV's and
INIT's have been removed.  What's up?

I had a similar experience, and discovered, to my dismay, that it
was a very nice CDEV that caused the crash ... my After Dark Screen
Saver was the culprit -- or the crashes went away when I turned
AD off.   Moire doesn't cause a problem.

See ya
Steve

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 12:12:07 CST
From: ST5845%SIUCVMB.bitnet%lilac.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Subject: New Educational Fractal Software

     Koyn Software has released IFS Explorer(TM), an educational and
entertaining software package for the Macintosh that allows the user
to create and explore fractals.
     The user may explore the Fractal Library(TM), a collection of over
60 premade fractals. IFS Explorer's powerful zoom function lets the user
zoom in up to 100,000,000 times, allowing observation of the infinite
detail in fractal images.
     The user may create new fractals using iterated function systems
(IFS's for short). A fractal is described as a collection of pieces,
each of which is a geometrically transformed copy of the original. A
fractal description is entered in a spreadsheet-like window, where each
row specifies a geometrical transformation for one of the pieces.
     Fractals are rendered by random iteration, a process involving
starting with a point and repeatedly applying randomly chosen
transformations to it.  The variety of images that can be created by
this apparently chaotic means is surprising.
     Fractal images may be exported to other applications via the
clipboard or PICT files. The endless variety of images IFS Explorer
produces are useful for advertising, stationery, and other graphic
design projects.
     The educational user guide explains IFS's in an easy to understand
way that is accessible to anyone who has had some experience in algebra
and coordinate geometry. IFS Explorer is useful in college mathematics
courses that cover fractals or chaos theory because it allows students
to explore fractals by hands-on experimentation. It is also useful as a
self-study aid to enthusiasts of fractals, chaos theory, and/or math.
     IFS Explorer requires a Macintosh 512KE or newer, an 800K floppy
disk drive and System Software 4.1 or newer.
     IFS Explorer is available directly from Koyn Software for $49.95
plus $2.00 shipping & handling. Education discounts and a Classroom Kit
are available to universities and faculty.
     Koyn Software may be reached at:
Koyn Software
1754 Sprucedale
St. Louis, MO  63146
(314) 878-9125.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90 13:00:09 EST
From: Mark Edward Toomey <MTOOMEY@uga.cc.uga.edu>
Subject: No Desktop file & no room to put it??

   This is indeed a new one on me. A grad student's disk wouldn't mount.
The last time he had access to it he was prompted that the disk appeared
damaged but he clicked 'No' to the request for repairing it. The next time
he put it in the machine he was prompted for initilization.
   I tried Symantec's Disk Clinic first. No worky. It said the desktop file
was damaged. I then tried to rebuild the destop on the floppy but was
informed that there wasn't enough room on the floppy to put the desktop
file. So, I can't mount the disk to remove something to allow space for
the desktop file as there is no desktop file with which to mount the floppy!
  The data is not extremely crucial to maintain but for future reference
I would like to know how to force mount the floppy to enable file management.
I don't know if Norton for the Mac allows such management as it's PC version
does but as we don't own Norton I guess that's a moot point. Any suggestions
are welcome.

Mark Edward Toomey                     Disclaimer: I only speak for
Computer Services Specialist                       myself, although
College of Family & Consumer Sciences              sometimes I wonder
University of Georgia                              even about that!

BITNET: MTOOMEY@UGA
Internet: mtoomey@uga.cc.uga.edu
Voice: 404-542-4864 or 404-542-4651
FAX:   404-542-4862

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 1990 09:54:58 PST
From: nethery.parc@xerox.com
Subject: non-USA purchases

Date    11/13/90
Subject non-USA purchases
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac, Lorraine

To all those complaining about the high prices charged by non-USA distributors
of USA produced Mac products, I would like to recommend a place in the USA to
buy stuff that provides great service, reasonable prices, and sells outside
the USA.  I'm not the only one who likes them, many Mac books and trade rags
mention them. They are:

ComputerWare
International Sales
Phone: 415-496-1003
Fax 415-855-9440
AppleLink: X0996
Internet: X0996@Applelink.Apple.Com
Telex & Answerback: 9102408377 (Computerware)

No, I don't work for them, own any part of them, I just buy from them and
think they do an excellent job.
Kee Nethery

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90  17:02 GMT
From: Big Nose <LAWA%IAPE.AFRC.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Pasting into Word.

Dear All,

Is it possible to paste text with formatting (i.e. some invisible, some bold
etc) into Word 4.00 from other applications (specifically Hypercard, but
others will give pointers).

Thanks

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 02:15:31 EST
From: Pete Tamas <V5296E%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Quark & new keyboard resources are a pain

I created a new keyboard layout w/ Resedit. However, Quark (Quirk??) XPress
did not run w/ the new keyboard selected, only if US keyboard is selected. Per-
haps to keep foreign users from using the presumably less expensive US version.
                                                                       Pete
'Pete Tamas          mac-l@yalevm        11/14/90 Quark & new keyboard resources
Acknowledge-To: <V5296E@TEMPLEVM>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 12:41 CDT
From: JB6541A@acad.drake.edu
Subject: Question about database packages

Hello netters:
	I'm working on a proposal to computerize the album list and
tracking of a small college radio station.
	Requirements are: a database containing records of several
thousand LPs and CDs, searchable by group/artist, album title, and
individual song title.
	In addition, we'd like to be able to set up a form so that
DJs could enter the songs they play during their shift.  The computer
(instead of the general manager) would then compile a list of the top
30 or so songs played during the week, top 10 albums, etc.
	I've heard from one station using Double Helix, and a
recommendation of using HyperCard.  Anyone have experience with this
situation, or just know of an easy-to-work-with database program?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

John Bykowski
President, Drake Broadcasting
Drake University
BITNET: JB6541A@DRAKE
INTERNET: JB6541A@ACAD.DRAKE.EDU
PHONE: 515-271-2766

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 12:31:22 PST
From: ST701640@brownvm.brown.edu
Subject: Stuffit Deluxe bugs?
When I get a program stuffed with regular stuffit and try to unstuff it with
Stuffit Deluxe by clicking on the stuffed file on the desktop, the compter
bombs big time.  It's rather annoying, because I keep on forgettiing that this
doesn't work.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?  I'm using system 6.0.5 on a Mac SE/30 with
an internal 30 meg hard drive.  I'd aprreciate any help.

George Lai

st701640@brownvm.brown.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 10:30:50 EST
From: Chris Jones <UOG00162%VM.UoGuelph.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Thanks!

Thanks to the many courteous replies that I received for my "big arrays'
question.  I hadn't had nearly enough time to try all the suggestions,
so if one works dramatically well, I'll post again with some even
more effusive thanks.

Chris Jones
UOG00162@VM.UOGUELPH

OPPCODE: LSBL   Lose Super BLock )UNIX only!
OPPCODE: RCSD   Read Card and Scramble Data
Fast ship?  You mean you've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 12:42:23 LCL
From: Michael Perrone <A2MP%PSUORVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: THINK C with no errors

Mr Jones gave me the impression he didn't want to deal with memory manager
routines, but if you are going to advise him to do so, you should include some
error checking. I'd revise you're program to check that the memory manager
was able to find or make a contiguous block that size in the heap. It may
not matter in a small program, but it is good habit to be in when using
memory manager routines:

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
   int *p;

   p = (int *) NewPtr(65536 * sizeof(int));
   if (p==NULL)
     {SysBeep(1); goto MEMERROR;}    /*  In practice, avoid goto if possible */
   p[16384] = -19;
   printf("The number is %d.\n\n", *(p+16384));
   DisposPtr(p);
   return;
   MEMERROR:
   printf("Couldn't allocate the space\n");
}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 NOV 90 08:13:55 GMT
From: AEIC0456%VAX1.CENTRE.QUEENS-BELFAST.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: Turbo Pascal Fonts on Mac - any ideas !

I'm working with a bunch of Turbo Pascal addicts who over the past 3 years
have developed an authoring system on DOS platforms using TP. We're now
writing an executor for the Mac, problems with Fonts but. For the screens
to look right (text centred exactly in boxes and so on) we'd really need
the Turbo fonts on Mac. Even with Borland's consent this would be a long
and tedious task, decoding the vector format these seem to be stored in,
preparing corresponding bitmaps for Mac etc. and scaling up to different
sizes. Anyone been down this way before ?  Can anyone think of an easier
solution. Many thanks for any help.

George Munroe, Queens University Belfast

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90 17:03 EDT
From: RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu
Subject: Voice Recognition and SID

Hello. I hope that someone can help me. Sometime ago (perhaps a couple
of months) I picked up a hypercard stack that did some _very_ rudimentary
voice recognition. I think it came with some SID/SIDII stuff, but I'm
not sure. Of course, I threw it out after looking at it, but now I find
that I would like to look at it more closely. For the life of me, I cannot
remember where it came from. Has anyone seen this? I think MacUser mentioned
it recently, but they didn't give it a name.
 As I said, it is very simple. As I recall, it is able to learn the sound
for the letter "A".
Please, someone help me!

Read Fritsch
RAFST3@vms.cis.pitt.edu

thanks...........

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 21:32 EST
From: NECHO%NCSUMVS.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: What can be done with surplus 256K SIMMs?

Hello,
  Our department plans to take advantage of currently low
SIMM prices to upgrade the RAM in our MacII and MacPluses.
Each machine is "maxed out" with 256K SIMMs which will be
replaced with the 1Meg variety.  Can anything be done with
all these old SIMMs?  Are they truely obsolete?  Can four
of 'em be wired together to substitute for a 1Meg?
  Any suggestions that might help our Fed-funded department
conserve our resources (read: Your tax dollars) is welcome.
  Serious, and wisenheimer, responses will be summarized and
posted.  Thanks for your help.

Scott Knowles  <nECHO@NCSUMVS>

End of Info-Mac Digest