Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/16/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Thu, 15 Nov 90       Volume 8 : Issue 191

Today's Topics:

      [*] multivariate
      [*] Report: ][ in a Mac
      [*] T-Shirts stack
      _HFSDispatch
      a disk cataloger util
      Dialer Wanted
      Graphing Functions
      HP DeskWriter ink
      Info-Mac Digest V8 #190
      Laserwriter Memory
      Mac II accellerators
      MaraThon, .Z files, and Res
      Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa
      MS Word footnote
      Network switching
      No Desktop file & no room t
      No Desktop file & no room to put it??
      SAM Intercept Updater
      Sound Manager
      Submission for comp-sys-mac-digest
      symbolic logic courseware

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Thu, 4 Oct 90 17:03:31 +0100
From: jean%biomac.univ-lyon1.fr@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: [*] multivariate

MacMul and GraphMu are two programs for multivariate data
analysis and graphical display on Macintosh.

MacMul performs computations of three basic multivariate
data analysis methods: PCA (principal component analysis)
for quantitative variables, CA (correspondence analysis)
for counts tables, and MCA (multiple correspondence
analysis) for qualitative variables. The PCA part offers
several options: centered, standardized, non centered, or
general PCA with any diagonal metric. Use of the three
methods have been unified from the point of view of input
files, computations, and outputs. A complete set of
interpretation helps is proposed: inertia analyses (absolute
and relative contributions, for rows and columns), data
reconstitution using one or more factors, additional
elements (rows or columns). Particular options are also
available: CA seen as canonical correlation analysis of two
discrete variables, variables/factors correlation ratios for
MCA. Graphical outputs may be drawn with GraphMu.
Data tables may have less rows than columns, and
computations are always performed in the lowest dimension
space. Version 3.01 needs 4Mb of main memory. An older version
is available from the author ; it needs only 800Kb, but
is in French and has more limited possibilities (max. table size
= 9000 rows and 200 columns).

GraphMu is designed to draw graphical outputs of
data analysis methods (principal axes planes), as well as
several types of graphics usefull for the analysis of
multivariate data (scattergrams, line charts, bar charts,
histograms, stepped curves, maps with circles and squares,
ellipses, Gaussian curves). It is possible to superimpose
graphics over digitized background maps. The main
feature of GraphMu is the possibility to draw automatically
*collections* of graphics. Each elementary graphic may correspond
to one column of the data table (comparison of variables) and/or
to one group of rows (comparison of sets of individuals).
Drawings may be saved in files of type "PICT", and are compatible
with commercial drawing software of the Macintosh (e.g.
MacDraw). Copy/paste operations on pictures are
supported, making superimpositions easy.

The documentation for both programs is in French and may be obtained
>From the author (Word4 documents). I am trying to translate it to
English... They are freeware, but if you use them for papers in
scientific reviews, please make reference to the following:

References
    J. Thioulouse (1989). Statistical analysis and graphical
display of multivariate data on the Macintosh. Computer
Applications in the Biosciences, 5, 4, 287-292.
    J. Thioulouse (1990). MacMul and GraphMu : two Macintosh
programs for the display and analysis of multivariate data.
Computers and Geosciences, in press.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/multivariate-part1.hqx; 191K
             /info-mac/app/multivariate-part2.hqx; 121K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 09:57 CST
From: <MWW%TNTECH.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> (Michael W. Wheeler)
Subject: [*] Report: ][ in a Mac

Software Report: ][ in a Mac

Here are the replies that I got asking for information about ][ in a Mac.
I have them included below in the order that I received them. Also
immediatly below is my original message.

In short here is the gist of all the messages. It's dog slow, poorly
supported, doesn't handle copy protected software, no color, no
joystick (see message), limited graphics, most would buy an Apple IIe
emulation card in a heartbeat if one were available for their machine.
This software is apparently so frustrating to use that a few of those
who replied don't use it or at least not very often. Also some of the
old versions apparently didn't work on the Mac II line but this has
obviously been rectified since Murph Sewall in running it on an Mac
IIci.

[Archived as /info-mac/report/ii-in-a-mac.txt; 15K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Oct 90 09:32:35 MDT
From: Jonathan Pratt <pratt@boulder.colorado.edu>
Subject: [*] T-Shirts stack

Here's a cute stack from Paul Pratt, the author of Odesta's Data Desk
Professional.  It has a commercial bent in that the T-shirt designs shown
in the stack can be purchased, but the artistry is intriguing by itself.
It's refreshing to see T-shirt designs that are open to interpretation
by the viewer, as opposed to the current fad of trite or vulgar statements.

Jonathan

/* Jonathan Pratt          Internet: pratt@boulder.colorado.edu     *
 * Campus Box 525              uucp: ..!{ncar|nbires}!boulder!pratt *
 * University of Colorado                                           *
 * Boulder, CO 80309          Phone: (303) 492-4293                 */

[Archived as /info-mac/card/t-shirts.hqx; 92K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 09:00:30 PST
From: "sambrano Kobi" <kobi%bimacs.biu.ac.il@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: _HFSDispatch

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 18:30:25 +0200
>From: kobi@bimacs.biu.ac.il (sambrano Kobi)
To: Docs, info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu

Hello netters!

  Does anyone have ANY documentation on the functions of _HFSDispatch? I'm
looking for it desperately! I know my way in C, Pascal and Assembly so any
help would be appreciated.

       Thanks in advance,
	  Kobi Sambrano
	  (kobi@bimacs.biu.ac.il)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 19:22:08 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: a disk cataloger util

>I have accumulated far too many boxes of Mac disks to manage
>efficiently.  Under the old MacIntosh MFS system, there was a
>disk catalog program that would allow one to push disk after disk
>into the floppy slot and build up a catalog with several search
>strategies which made life with too many disks much easier.
>Does anyone have any recommendations for a comparable program
>that will run on an SE and a IIci?

I looked at these types of programs not so long ago and found many.
My favourites were a HyperCard based cataloger that I don't remember
the name of right now (but will look it up if pressed), a freeware
little program called FileList, and best of all a shareware/commercial
program call D'Librarian.

Filelist version 1.3 is in the Sumex archives.  If there is enough
interest I can upload the HyperCard cataloger and the demo version
of D'Librarian version 3.01.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 19:27:16 PST
From: Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Dialer Wanted

I'm looking for a very simple dialer DA or application to use with the
a version of NCSA Telnet hacked to support SLIP.

Requirements are:

- Allows user to set baud rate
- Allows setting of parity, stop bits, data bits or assumes 8N1
- Allows user to enter at least one phone number
- Remembers settings
- When launched it should dial the number, wait for a connect, and then send
  a Return character (some systems need this), and then quit and release
  the serial port (but not hang up the modem)
- Must work on all Macs from Plus to FX
- Must be PD or freeware

I've tried QDial and AutoDialer.  Neither is really satisfactory for
this purpose.

internet:  Les_Ferch@mtsg.ubc.ca
bitnet:    userlsf@ubcmtsg

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 14:28:04 -0500 (EST)
From: Donn Hoffman <dh1s+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Graphing Functions

> I need a simple program for graphing functions, including integrals.
> Any suggestions?
>
> -- DH1S@ANDREW.CMU.EDU

Thanks to everyone who suggested Maple.  It does everything I need.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 12:38:03 EST
From: "Henry M. Pita" <HMPQC%CUNYVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: HP DeskWriter ink

Officially, Hewlett-Packard's policy is that the ink in the
DeskWriter is not refillable, i.e., you must buy a new
cartridge. However, I've read (I think in MacWeek) that certain
types of waterproof inks will work. Does anyone recall that
information, or has anyone had a successful experience?

Thanks,
Henry

Internet: hmpqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Bitnet: hpita@qcvax

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 15 November 1990 6:58pm ET
From: "Kim.Dyer" <21329KAD%MSU.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: Info-Mac Digest V8 #190

The machine I have access to that has PAGEMAKER 3.02 is not hooked to a
laserprinter.  The lasprinter I have access to is not hooked to a machine
with a hard drive.  Is there a way I can take the documents I produced
on PAGEMAKER on the one machine, and port enough of it  on a disk to the
other one so I can print?

Please respond E-Mail ... I can be helped greatly by getting the
information quickly.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Nov 90 13:05:00 EST
From: "CAPT. RICHARD BERRY" <rberry@hrllr.wpafb.af.mil>
Subject: Laserwriter Memory

                  I N T E R O F F I C E   M E M O R A N D U M

                                        Date:     15-Nov-1990 12:26 GMT
                                        From:     Capt. Richard Berry
                                                  RBERRY
                                        Dept:     LRL
                                        Tel No:   (513)255-3871 or AV 785-3871

TO:  _MAILER!                             ( _DDN[INFO-MAC-REQUEST@[36.44.0.6]] )

Re: J. Pugh's request on Laserwriter IINTX memory upgrades in
Infomacv8-189.txt.

According to the manual we got with our Xceed Memory Expansion
Kits (one meg simms), fx simms and laserwriter simms are one in
the same (I do not know if this is true for othe brands).  We
used the simms in mac fxs.  The manufacturer was Micron
Technology, Inc, Memory Applications Group, 8455 Westpark Street,
Boise ID  83704 (208) 368-3800 or 1-800-MICRON1.  However, Micron
packages Laserwriter simms and fx simms with different product
numbers. So, I would order the ones for the laserwriter just to
make sure they were compatible.

Looking at the Laserwriter system board, the simm slots are
arranged as follows:

    	J10 	J7  	J4	J1
    	___ 	___ 	___	___
    	| | 	| | 	| |	| |
BANK 0  | | 	| | 	| |	| |
    	| | 	| | 	| |	| |
    	|_| 	|_| 	|_|	|_|

    	J11 	J8  	J5	J2
    	___ 	___ 	___	___
    	| | 	| | 	| |	| |
BANK 1	| | 	| | 	| |	| |
    	| | 	| | 	| |	| |
    	|_| 	|_| 	|_|	|_|

    	J12 	J9  	J6	J3
    	___ 	___ 	___	___
    	| | 	| | 	| |	| |
BANK 2	| | 	| | 	| |	| |
    	| | 	| | 	| |	| |
    	|_| 	|_| 	|_|	|_|

              CONNECTOR PANEL

Memory combinations are as follows:

RAM (mb)    Bank 0   Bank1    Bank 2
2	    4x256K   4x256K   none	Standard Config
3	    4x256K   4x256K   4x256K
4	    4x1meg   none     none
5	    4x1meg   4x256K   none
8	    4x1meg   4x1meg   none
9	    4x1meg   4x1meg   4x256K
12	    4x1meg   4x1meg   4x1meg

(6megs is not a recognized configuration)

I have no connection with Micron in any way.  Just a user of
their products.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 15:41:41 EST
From: CON-ETDL-COM <contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: Mac II accellerators

 I've a question for the info-mac community regarding Mac II family
 accelerators:

 Is anyone out there using some of the 68030 accelerators for the Mac II?
 Any what kind of performance/problems are you incurring?  Problems with
 CD drives? floppies? 32bit QuickDraw? support? life?

 I'm currently running a MacII with the SuperDrive upgrade (IIx roms),
 Mac II video card (8bit), CD Technologies PortaDrive (great!), 8Mb RAM,
 68882 FPU (its a little faster), PMMU, and a Dove MaraThon Racer
 (cache card...performance is *about* that of a IIx, sometimes better.)

 I've gone thru the review in MacUser (August 1990 issue), and am now
 wondering about real-world experiences.

 Please respond directly to me (contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil) or to
 info-mac if you can't reach me.

 Thanks in advance.
=========
 George F Tempel, Vitronics, Inc | internet: contr003@monmouth-emh2.army.mil
 America OnLine: gftempel4, CompuServe: 76047,70
[ end of message ]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 07:46:56 PST
From: lou_casagrande$crc_mail%quickm.dnet%crcvax@nssdca.span.nasa.gov
Subject: MaraThon, .Z files, and Res

Date	11/15/90
Subject	MaraThon, .Z files, and Res
>From	Lou Casagrande
To	Info-mac

Subject:    MaraThon, .Z files, and ResEdit
Fellow Netters:

I have three questions that I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with.
First, can anyone tell me anything good, bad, or otherwise about Dove's MaraThon
030 upgrade for the "vintage" Mac II?  (I also have a friend who's curious about
the upgrade for his IIx.)  I'm mostly interested in the processor and MMU
capabilities, in preparation for system 7, and speed is not a crucial factor for
me.  Right now MacWarehouse is offering it for $449, including SAM 2.0 and SUM
II.  Does anyone know of a better deal?  What's the poop?

Second, I recently saw in the digests (V.8, #180), a question refering to the .Z
compression that other ftp sites use.  I, too, have run into a brick wall trying
to figure out how to decompress these files.  Can anyone point me in the right
direction, or is this not a Mac decompression scheme?  What is it, then?

Finally, I saw a reference to ResEdit 2.1b3 in V.8, #189.  I currently have
2.0b1.  Where can I ftp 2.1b3 from?  Also, 2.0b1 can display but not edit
'crsr's.  Can 2.1b3?  If not, maybe those in charge could correct this
oversight.  (And while they're at it, maybe a 'ppat' editor, too?)

Thanks in advance,

Lou Casagrande                                      (516)346-6379
Grumman Corporate Research Center                Mail Stop A02-26
Bethpage, NY 11714-3580

Other addresses:
"CRCVAX::CASAGRANDE"@NSSDCA.GSFC.NASA.GOV (BitNET)
CASAGRANDE%CRCVAX%NSSDCA@SDS.SDSC.EDU (ArpaNET)
NSSDCA::CRCVAX::CASAGRANDE (SPAN)

The usual disclaimers apply.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 14:27:52 PST
From: Jay_Handel@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

My apologies for placing Yale in Boston, Mass. instead of in
New Haven, Conn., in my report on Mac educational prices.

What can I say?

   1.  I just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention.
   2.  All those small New England schools look alike to me.
   3.  The devil made me do it.
   4.  It was another software compatibility problem in the new
       Classic.
   5.  I goofed, and I'll do better next time.

Take your pick.  But no prizes.

Jay

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 15:00:09 EST
From: wang@pennmess.physics.upenn.edu ( Huangxin Wang)
Subject: MS Word footnote

Does anyone know whether MSWord footnote function can do the reference work
in scientific publications?  Specifically, in my paper reference #1 might be
refered several places in the text, or in a reference point in the main text, I
might reference to #10,#11,#15 at the same time.  It seems MSWord footnote
cannot do that.  Can anyone show me how to do it?  Or MSWord has a new update
(I am using 4.0b)?

		Huangxin Wang, University of Pennsylvania

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 1990 09:14:51 PST
From: Nethery.Parc@xerox.com
Subject: Network switching

Date    11/15/90
Subject Network switching
>From    Kee Nethery
To  foster, info-mac

>My question: Is there any way to switch networks from Localtalk (for TOPS)
>to Ethertalk (for campus Appletalk zones) without having to reboot the
>machine?

Install the AIR (Apple Internet Router) or Farallon Liaison software on your
Mac2cx and then set the prefered network connection for your mac as the
ethernet port.  The Mac2cx will be able to access all LocalTalk services and
access all ethernet services (AppleTalk, TCP/IP, DECnet, whatever).

Kee Nethery
Institute for Research on Learning

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 1990 09:17:08 PST
From: Nethery.Parc@xerox.com
Subject: No Desktop file & no room t

Date    11/15/90
Subject No Desktop file & no room t
>From    Kee Nethery
To  info-mac, toomey

Subject:No Desktop file & no room to_
Re> No Desktop file & no room to put it??

The trick is to gain access to the floppy with some software that does not
require the desktop file and then to remove a file so there is room to install
a desktop file.  I tend to use Stuffit for wierd stuff like this.  Boot a Mac
under Finder (not MultiFinder) and launch Stuffit.  Insert the disk.  Select
the disk with stuffit and compress one of the files on the floppy.  Have the
compressed file store on the hard disk and select the "delete when done"
option for the compression.  You'll end up moving a file to the hard disk and
freeing up room on the floppy.  Something like Disk First Aid should be able
to recreate the Desktop file if the finder cannot.  (For the inquisitive,
remember command-S to see a list of Disk First Aid's actions.)

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 16:35:29 est
From: "Alan D Danziger" <aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>
Subject: No Desktop file & no room to put it??

If you run under Finder, and enter a program (MS Word for example)
which doesn't require constant disk access, you can open the disk
there (if the only problem is the desktop file).  You can then use a
tool (DA) such as MacTools Plus or DiskTop to copy the files to
another disk.  Then, reformat the original (or throw it away).
Good luck!
Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | No Jacket
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University | Required.
(617) 894-6859              | PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254  |   Phil C.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 1990 11:01:46 PST
From: Carl_A._Steinhilber.osbu_south@xerox.com
Subject: SAM Intercept Updater

Hi Folks,

With new viruses popping up what seems like everyday, it's been a constant war
to keep our lab equipment bug free. With all the flaming Symantec has been
getting lately for their support (or lack thereof)... I'd like to turn around
and say hats off to at least their SAM Virus Clinic support and virus hotline.
Calling the hotline is an immediate, easy way to collect all the information
needed to combat the newest strains of viruses (or would that be: viri ? ).
Sure, it would've been nice if the line was actually a data line that SAM could
call up from a modem and automatically update itself with the new
information... or even if the number was an 800 number. But I'm just happy that
the information is out there and available in ANY immediate form.

My problem is this. I'd like to create an updater for SAM and the SAM intercept
init. Something that anyone with little or no knowledge of SAM itself can use
without fear of causing system damage (so _I_ wouldn't have to visit each
machine in the lab and do the updating myself). I developed a SuperCard stack
interface into which I can plug the updated information once... with the
thinking that the virus search information in SAM was simple string resources
that I'd be able to access with XCMD's. I polished off the interface of my
project and started off to figure out which strings to add in SAM only to find
that strings didn't exist. The search criteria does not seem to be in the
resource fork at all. Since SAM Clinic is able to update the Intercept INIT
with a simple command, I know it's possible... but can't figure out how.
Does anyone know how I could update SAM and SAM Intercept with a
HyperCard/SuperCard XCMD that I could write myself?

Thanks
Carl

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 90 08:54:41 -0500
From: bda@uengr.calvin.edu (Bruce Abernethy)
Subject: Sound Manager

Does anyone have any sample code that uses the new 6.0.7 (7.0) Sound Manager?

Also, who would I contact to get updated MPW C/C++ .h files that have the
correct calls for the Sound Manager.  I looked through the manuals (no easy
task) and called APDA and I got the feeling that I would not see documentation
or updates of this kind until after 7.0 ships next year.

I was wondering too if Symantec will update Think C 4.0.2 and/or Pascal 3.0.1
to use these routines for its general users before Apple (MPW) does.

Bruce Abernethy
Calvin College, Computer Center Hotline
Grand Rapids, MI 49546   (616) 957-8555
<bda@uengr.calvin.edu>

------------------------------

Date: 15 Nov 90 19:41:19 GMT
From: The Devil Himself <daemon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>
Subject: Submission for comp-sys-mac-digest

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware,comp.sys.mac.digest,comp.sys.mac
Subject: Advice on MacClassic purchase
Date: 15 Nov 90 19:41:19 GMT
Sender: daemon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

Hi guys. I'm about to buy a Mac Classic HD 40/2. Does any one has any comment
about this? I appreciate any advice or recommendation before it's too late(:-).
Please poste something or send me e-mail.

By the way, beside the word processing and graphical stuff I'd like to run
Lisp and Scheme. Any comment?

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Nov 90 14:33:21 GMT
From: bcsaic!georgew@beaver.cs.washington.edu (George Williams)
Subject: symbolic logic courseware

DAILEY@vaxsar.vassar.edu writes:

>Where might I find out about Mac programs for instruction in
>symbolic logic?

>Thanks, David Dailey

The only thing I've come across in my quest for such things is a newly
published text/courseware package
	"The Language of First-Order Logic"
	by Jon Barwise and John Etchemendy,
	CLSI Lecture Notes Number 23, ISBN 0-937073-59-8
	and which includes "Tarski's World 3.0" for the Macintosh.

I haven't managed to get a copy yet, but I'm going to order a copy.
It can be "purchased at your bookstore or ordered directly from the
distributor,
	The University of CHicago Press
	11030 South Langley Ave
	Chicago, IL 60628
	(800) 621-2736, (312) 568-1550
	Fax: (312) 660-2235
	$27.50 each, s/h $1.50 for first book, $0.50 for each
	additional book. Illinois residents add 7% sales tax; Chicago
	residents add 8%.

The announcement I received indicated that all inquiries concerning
the program "Tarski's World 3.0" should be directed to CSLI
Publications, Ventura Hall, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305,
rather than the distributor. Fax: (415) 723-0758, phone: (415) 723-1712.

I'd like to know of any other publications and/or applications for
manipulating symbolic logic on the Mac.

George Williams
Boeing Computer Services   Internet: george@huntsai.boeing.com  [preferred]
POBox 240002, M/S JA-74        UUCP: ...!uunet!uw-beaver!bcsaic!huntsai!george
Huntsville AL 35824-6402   Phone: 205+461-2597  FAX: 205+461-2933  BTN: 461-2597
--
George Williams
Boeing Computer Services   Internet: george@huntsai.boeing.com  [preferred]
POBox 240002, M/S JA-74        UUCP: ...!uunet!uw-beaver!bcsaic!huntsai!george
Huntsville AL 35824-6402   Phone: 205+461-2597  FAX: 205+461-2933  BTN: 461-2597

End of Info-Mac Digest