Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/21/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Tue, 20 Nov 90       Volume 8 : Issue 193

Today's Topics:

      Apple Internet Router
      Apple responsiveness
      Array boundaries in C
      BinHex4 specs
      Buying Macs
      CalComp phone number
      Code Resources and Windows
      Expanse SE/30
      fastpath vs gatorbox
      help with dead CMS drive
      How to install a PICT resource in a PICT file?
      INIT Interference with HC 2.0
      location of UNADOBE
      Mac <--> IBM doings...
      Multifinder Problem?
      NEW MAC GAMES ???
      New ZUC Virus
      Prolog and Lisp for the Mac (2 msgs)
      Re: Flame on Symantec
      Report on Text Editors
      Running Remote Process ...
      Securing Laserwriters
      seeking a file compare utility
      Solution to 8/24 NTSC problem
      Video stills
      Word Processor Filters/Translators
      X11 Bitmaps

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 08:22:49 SET
From: Guenther Blaschek <K331671%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Apple Internet Router

Kee Nethery mentioned the Apple Internet Router in digest #191. I have never
heard of this product before; ist it part of Apple`s system software, or is it
sold seperately as a commercial product. In other words: is it free or not?
If it is publicly available, could someone e-mail this utility to me? If not,
where can I get it from?

Thanks in advance
    e                           Guenther Blaschek
   gu                    EMail: <K331671@AEARN>
                         SNail: University of Linz / Austria
                                Institute of Computer Science / Software
                                Altenbergerstr. 69
                                A-4040 Linz
                         Tel.:  +43 (732) 2468 / 447
                         Fax:   +43 (732) 2468 / 10

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 14:55:19 +0800
From: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Subject: Apple responsiveness

Greetings all,

There have been several comments lately about the lack of responsiveness from
Apple, particularly the HyperCard Development Team.  I just wanted to say that
this has not been the case in my experience.  I have received fast, sometimes
immediate response from the team on almost all occasions (just before release
time should be an excused exception).  In particular, Steve Maller, Sandy
(Binky) Melnik, and Kevin Calhoun (forgive me if I butchered Kevin's last name,
I don't have my HyperCard file handy) have given me excellent response, advice,
and workarounds for any problems I have reported as well as help with
programming questions.  Several others on the team have been helpful as well, it
just seems like I call on Steve, Sandy, and Kevin the most.

I'm not denying that other people have not received this sort of response, but I
thought that someone should pipe up for the other side.  By the way, I am not a
partner or a certified whoozit or anything, just a typical University staff
member.  I am a member of APDA, but I don't think that pulls a great deal of
weight.

Bruce Carter, Courseware Development Coordinator            Lab: (208) 385-1859
Faculty Development Lab - Room 213                       Office: (208) 385-1250
Simplot/Micron Technology Center                       CompuServe ID: 76666,511
Boise State University                            CREN (BITNET): duscarte@idbsu
1910 University Drive                        Internet: duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu
Boise, ID  83725                        --> Preferred: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 17:07:56 EST
From: lti2!reg@lti.uucp (Rick Genter x18)
Subject: Array boundaries in C

Jeff Austen writes:

> > Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90 10:52:03 LCL
> > From: Michael Perrone <A2MP%PSUORVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
> > Subject: Array boundaries in C (think C, V4)
> >
> > Is not a "C" problem, it's inherent in the MC 680x0 architecture.

> This problem is NOT inherent in the 680x0 architecture.  The 680x0

This is arguable.  True, the 680x0 has 32-bit registers through out, and uses
all 32-bits when computing addresses.  However, the displacement in a base-
displacement or base-index-displacement address is limited to 16 bits on the
68000, 68008 and 68010.  Since all Macs < II use the 68000, it is understandable
that the compiler writers limit arrays to 16-bit displacements (you don't want
to have to reserve a register and load it with a value just to address the
array, and I can see where special case code for determining how to index the
array could get quite ugly).

I believe the 68020 removed the restriction, introducing a "base-long
displacement" addressing mode.  I'd be curious if Think C, when told to
generate 68020 code, made use of this mode.  I suspect not...

					- reg
---
Rick Genter					reg%lti.uucp@bu.edu
Language Technology, Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 90 11:24:10 +0000
From: Z.Wang@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: BinHex4 specs

Does anyone know a public domain package of encoding and decoding
of BinHex4 files? Or does anyone know where I could find the spec of
BinHex4?

Thanks in advance

Zheng

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 09:25 EST
From: <MACLAB%VUVAXCOM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Buying Macs

After having numerous questions on the purchase of a Classic 2/40, let me make
one comment.  I, along with theother reps that I know, were told that b/c of
the huge number of Classics that were ordered, the machines will not ship
for close to 9 or 10 weeks.  Because of this, we were told to start taking
orders for the LC, since it would arrive about a week after an LC if both were
ordered today.

bill
maclab@vuvaxcom
ST0666@applelink.apple.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 21:10:55 PST
From: eddie@csa1.lbl.gov (MAD SCIENTISTS FOR A BRIGHTER TOMORROW: JACKED INTO THE INTERNET MATRIX)
Subject: CalComp phone number

	CalComp's phone number is 408.980.7608

							EJM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 23:29:02 PST
From: eddie@csa1.lbl.gov (MAD SCIENTISTS FOR A BRIGHTER TOMORROW: JACKED INTO THE INTERNET MATRIX)
Subject: Code Resources and Windows

	Howdy,

	I need some help.  I'm still looking for a way to open a window from
within a code resource using Think C (v4.0).  Every time I call
NewWindow(args...) the application quits with a system error message of (1).
I'm working on a II/fx.  I think there are problems because the quickdraw
globals are not known to a code resource (the Think C manual mentions this but
does not elaborate).  I even tried calling InitGraf() from within the code
resource but the system crashes of course.  Remember, the Application is
a commercial one that I am adding to, so I cannot pass anything special to my
code resource.  I need Help!

Please respond to EJMOLER@LBL.GOV and I will send a final solution (should there
be one) to the digest.

						Thanks in advance,

						Eddie Moler

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 04:24:03 PST
From: @cunyvm.cuny.edu:FACN056@SAUPM00.BITNET
Subject: Expanse SE/30
I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience in using
Second Wave's expansion chasses, especially the one designed to
provide 4 NuBus slots on the SE/30. Does this thing _really_ work?

------------------------------

Date: 20 Nov 90 14:28:25
From: Rick Jarvis <Rick_Jarvis.MATH_ONE@quickmail.clemson.edu>
Subject: fastpath vs gatorbox

 fastpath vs gatorbox
We have an upgraded Fastpath 2 used as a gateway between our Appletalk network
and the campus Ethernet backbone. The gateway is loaded with the KIP software
for TCP/IP support. CAP is being used to print from our Sun server to AppleTalk
Laserwriters. During the past 3 months, the gateway has locked up 5-10 times.
Sometimes cycling the power brings it up; other times require disconnecting the
Fastpath from ethernet, cycling the power, and reconnecting the ethernet
connection after the gateway is recognized by the Fastpath manager software.
I have three questions: (1) has anyone seen similar problems or have any
suggestions about how to avoid them? (2) We can upgrade the Fastpath 2 to a
Fastpath 4 or trade it in for a Gatorbox for about the same money. Any
suggestions as to the preferred route. Another alternative is to exchange the
Fastpath 2 for an Ethergate. (3) CAP can be used with both the Fastpath and the
Gatorbox.  Is Gatorprint a better alternative?  Is Ethergate and K-spool a
better alternative for Sun to printing?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Rick Jarvis, Math Sciences, Clemson Univ, jpjrv@clemson.clemson.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 01:44:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Wai Sung Kok <wk0t+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: help with dead CMS drive

hello,
I have got a real problem down here, I got a 20M CMS drive that is
"ghosting", it would boot up for one or two minutes, then disappear from
the desktop, I try to install a new SCSI driver but that fail too, the
error message was failure in the SCSI write command.
my guess would be a bad solder joint that lose contact when the drive
heats up, if that is the case, then I just got a new door stop.
anyone got a clue as to what is going on.

thanks
best regards
-wai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 17:19:50 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: How to install a PICT resource in a PICT file?

I've used Mandelzot to create and save a nice PICT file of a Mandelbrot
set pattern.  I'd like to use DeckPict to make it a desktop backdrop.

DeckPict says it needs a PICT file with a PICT ID=0.  ResEdit indicates
that the saved PICT file has no resource fork (and offers to add one).
The question is how to I get ResEdit to add a PICT resource with ID=0?

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 10:19:12 PST
From: Tom Lincoln <lincoln%iris@rand.org>
Subject: INIT Interference with HC 2.0

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 09:20:39 PST
>From: Fred Feer <feerfs@monty>

	I have identified an INIT that was preventing Hypercard 2.0 cards
being displayed on screen.

	The offender is WindChooser 1.12 copyright 1989 by Pete Gontier.

	If anyone knows how to get in touch with Pete Gontier of if there
is a later version of the INIT I would appreciate knowing because I have
found this one very nice to have.

	WindChooser gives you a choice of four window styles. The one I
prefer is Alex's Shrinker. It has two zoom boxes in the upper right corner.
Clicking on the left one reduces the window to the size of an icon at the
bottom of the screen. It helps control clutter when using multi-finder.

Fred

------------------------------

Date: 19 Nov 90 09:10:00 EST
From: "Zukerman Class Account" <bist1@guvax.georgetown.edu>
Subject: location of UNADOBE

Can anyone help me locate a PD or shareware program called "UNADOBE"?
It is an application for converting Adobe printer fonts in Mac format to
text files. Thanks in advance.
                                Robb Wolov

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 02:03:36 -0500
From: fgodfrey@rodan.acs.syr.edu
Subject: Mac <--> IBM doings...

Hello people(s),

This is a two part-part post: First, can somebody please send me a list of
all the emulators for the Mac that will let it behave like an MS-DOS(Messy_dos)
machine (I know, I'm a masochist!). I know that SoftPC exists but I believe
there are others.

Second, (this is to those in mixed environments) is it possible for a Mac using
a PC  emulator to access an ARCnet based (Novell, 3Com, et. al.) and be able to
use the services available, not to mention its software, on it as if the Mac
was a PC?

Thanx

Francis N. Godfrey |Computing_CENSORED_CENSORED_    | "Don't Tell Them
Syracuse University|Micro CENSORED_CENSORED_CENSORED|Anything!"-Marsh L. Law
FGODFREY@SUVM.BITNET"Disclaimers are useless, No.1"!|fgodfrey@rodan.acs.syr.edu
-------------------+"We don't know anything..."(ACS)+-------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 11:21:35 LCL
From: ESMITH@suvm
Subject: Multifinder Problem?

   This weekend I started using Multifinder and received a message
'Could not allocate a working directory' when the desktop appeared.
It does not seem to inhibit any operations, ar have any effect at all
but I'm perplexed and a little disturbed since I have no idea what causes
it.

   I have 816 files on my disk with about 15meg of the 100meg total
still available. The system is 6.0.5 on a IIcx with 8 meg of memory.
I can't believe I'm running out of either disk space or memory. Anyone
know what's wrong here?

   As Always,
     Gene
   ESMITH@SUVM

   P.S. This does NOT occur with Finder alone.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 20:29:50 SST
From: TNG TaiHou <ISSTTH%NUSVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: NEW MAC GAMES ???

Can anyone tell me if the following games have been released for the
Mac and whether color is supported:
Indiana Jones Graphics Adventure
Windwalker
SimEarth
Nuclear War
King's Bounty
Captain Blood
Silpheed
Thexder
New releases of Sierra's games based on SCI
F-19
Falcon 3.0

plus any others that I have not heard about.
These are games under development, according to the respective
developers and publishers who replied to my letters and pleas.

Please send mail to me at ISSTTH@NUSVM.
Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 21:00:54 EST
From: baks!pizza!jshul@bagate.uucp (Jeff Shulman)
Subject: New ZUC Virus

I've been informed a new variant to the ZUC.Virus has been spotted in Italy
that is currently undetected by Disinfectant, SAM (in scan mode) and
VirusDetective. A new VirusDetective search string that will catch BOTH
variants (hence you can remove the old one after you add this new one) is:

Filetype=APPL & Resource CODE & ID=1 & WData A746*A038#31E*A033 ; For
finding ZUC.Virus 1 & 2

I will, of course, be uploading an updated search string list and a new
version with the strings already built in, in the next day or so.

 Jeff Shulman
 VirusDetective author
 jshul@baks.bell-atl.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 15:05:16 CST
From: Graeme <PL0BALF@vm.tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: Prolog and Lisp for the Mac

Prolog for the Mac:

(1) Parlog 2, PLP Ltd. POB 49, Twickenham TW2 5PH, (UK), 0454 201652.
(2) Delphia Prolog, Arity Corp., 29 Domino Drive, Concord MA 01742,
508-371-1243
(3) ALS Prolog, ALS Inc., POB 90, University Station, Syracuse, NY 13210
0090; 315-471-3900
(4) LPA MacProlog, US distributor: Quintus, 800-542-1283.

Some time ago Apple acquired Coral Software, which had 2 Lisps. The more
powerful package is now (I think) available through APDA. The less powerful
one, from which I learnt Lisp and which is pretty full-featured, is
supposed to be public domain, but I don't know how you get a hold of it.
It was called Pearl Lisp.

Graeme Forbes

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 22:05:37 est
From: "Alan D Danziger" <aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>

[Question was, what prolog and lisp implementations are available for
the Macintosh]

I don't know about Prolog for the Mac, but there is a program called
X-Lisp (currently 2.0 (I believe) for the Mac which is an
implementation of Common Lisp, which I used for a little while.

It seemed to be a fairly sturdy implementation, which many people in
the AI class I am taking have used for their programming assignments.

	-=Alan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 15:01:40 SET
From: Norbert Mueller <K360171%AEARN.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Flame on Symantec

Concerning the question of Software import taxes, they are around 5-7%
in addition to the 20% sales tax (called Value added Tax in Europe)
If I import (LEGALLY !!!) from a US mail order house, I usually end up
paying 1.5 to 1.8 times the net US price - including FedEx shipping
and all taxes. Considering that software dealers must be buying at much
lower rates than individuals directly from the publishers I have no
understanding at all for the price policy. I even know of one case where
Microsoft cancelled the contract with a foreign distributor because they
(the redistributors abroad) were too greedy.

I hope this dicussion on non/US software prices stays alive ans puts some
pressure on the companies.

Norbert Mueller

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 14:27:16 CST
From: Steve Swinnea <swinnea@emx.utexas.edu>
Subject: Report on Text Editors

I mentioned in a previous posting that the version of Edit in use in our
public labs would not handle HFS volumes gracefully and that I was
looking for a replacement application. As it turns out the problem was
that the version in use here was 0.9. This is outdated and later versions
handle HFS well. At any rate, I got many responses to my request for Edit
alternatives, and I thought it might be a good idea to summarize the
current state of Mac text editors. This list is by no means complete, but
represents what I consider to be some of the better editors available.
Thanks to:  Gordon Dohle, Clare Durst, Ingemar Ragnemalm, Steve Chanin,
Michael Barrow, Jeff Keys, Les Ferch, Mike Liveright, S. Curran, Daniel
van Kraalingen, Craig Prall, Joe McMahon, Sylvia Jacyno, Bryan Pearce,
Peter Mcdonald, Andrew Feren, Murph Sewall, Jurgen Botz, Ron Hale-Evans,
and Kenneth Seah.

Desk Accessories:

SigmaEdit: I have version 1.11 of this da. I have had a few problems with
it in the past, i.e. random bombs when attempting to print, the find
command returning junk after the first find. This da has most of the
necessary options to do general text editing including choosing a working
font, printing, find replace, tabs, and the ability to set the creator
field of the text file.

ASLEdit: This da is a small text editor based on the CAPPS' Prime Editor.
It is free. I haven't used this editor extensively, but it appears to be
a reasonably stable da. There is no limitation on file size, printing is
supported, a Kanjii font is included with the package, there is a tab
setting, and search and replace is implemented. The creator field is set
to AEDT.  The package also includes an application version of ASLEdit.

Mockwrite: This is part of the Mockpackage and is shareware. I really
didn't spend much time with Mockwrite.

McSink: This shareware da is in the archives and got more mention than
any other response, including applications. This da has all the basic
features plus the ability to strip control characters and extra spaces
>From files as well as well as convert between upper and lower case. There
is a sort facility as well as the ability to use use macros. There is a
commercial version of this editor (Vantage) which has more features. The
mail order price for Vantage is only about $7 more than the shareware fee.

Applications:

Aside from the aforementioned ASLEdit and newer version of Edit there are
a couple of other applications were suggested. Remember that commercial
word processor you use (Word, etc.) can usually double as a text editor.

Edit II: This is a very nice implementation of the CAPPS' Prime Editor.
It was written by a student here at UT and I hope will be available soon
as shareware. It has the same basic features that Edit has plus it can
recognize the keyboard type on newer Macs. This means that if cursor keys
are present on your keyboard, you can use them. It's default creator is
EDIT, meaning that you can toss your copy of Edit and double-clicking old
Edit files will launch Edit II. This is really a nice little editor for
public facilities. If it doesn't appear soon contact kseah@cs.utexas.edu.

Mcjove and Microemacs: These two applications are both in the archives. I
group them together bacause they suffer the same problems. These two
editors appear to be ports of emacs editors from other platforms and thus
lack a real Mac interface. For instance neither have printing facilities.
If you are an emacs fan like myself, check out the next contender.

Alpha: This is an editor written by Pete Keleher for the Mac. This
distinction is important. Although this editor is an emacs-like editor,
it is not a port from another source and comforms to the Mac interface.
This is like having the best of both worlds. Alpha is extremely
extensible via the ability to create keyboard macros and ACMD's (Alpha
Commands). This could become as the author says "the standard low-cost
editor for the Mac." Alpha 2.07 is available in the archives.

One quick note about da's versus app's. Desk accessories are nice to have
around. In a finder environment they are always available. This can be
nice when dealing with compiler and the like or in applications like TeX
where one really doesn't want to quit the application just to make a
simple change in a text file. On the other hand in a public lab setting
on machines without hard disks or a da handler like Suitcase, the extra
50 - 60K required for a da on a startup disk may not be justafiable. In
this case it is better to use an application on either a server or on a
separate floppy.

     Steve Swinnea
     Dept. Materials Sci. & Engr.
     ETC 9.114
     University of Texas at Austin
     Austin, Texas  78712

     swinnea@emx.utexas.edu
     swinnea@utxvm.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 11:27:42 gmt
From: "Costas A. Makris" <costas%titan.ee.ic.ac.uk@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Running Remote Process ...

Hello,

I would like to write a program on the mac that would be able to connect onto a
UNIX machine (say a SUN or a VAX) connected to the network, transfer a file
(say a circuit netlist) from the mac to the UNIX machine, then run a program
on the UNIX machine (say SPICE simulator) and finally transfer the results back
to the mac!

I know that this sort of thing can be done since Mathematica is doing a similar
thing when you operate in a remote kernel mode from a mac. What I don't know is
how to do it, from where do I start, what do I look for ...

Any information on this will be greatly appreciated. Please reply either
directly to me (prefered) or through Info-mac.

Thanks in advance for any info/ideas you can provide.

            Costas

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 90 15:38:01 -0500 (EST)
From: "Thomas James Menner, Jr." <tm11+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Securing Laserwriters

We are interested in physically securing our Laserwriter II NT (having
suffered one previous theft of a Laserwriter).  However, the LWII
seems to lack the security lock feature of the Macintoshes (i.e. the
indentation into which you can sink an eyehole).  Does anyone have any
experience/suggestions with securing laser printers?  If nothing else
we could always drill holes in the chassis and run cable or bolts
through them, but I want to avoid physically altering the printer if I
can.  Thanks in advance...

Thomas Menner			||   ARPA: tm11@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie-Mellon University	|| BITNET: tm11%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvb
Pittsburgh, PA			||   UUCP: psuvax1!andrew.cmu.edu!tm11
"When you're swimmin' in the creek/And an eel bites your cheek/
 That's a moray!!"   -- Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 16:40 EST
From: "Carol Conti-Entin, ext. 8778" <$CAROL%OCVAXC.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: seeking a file compare utility

Does anyone know of a utility (freeware or shareware preferred) which can
compare two Macintosh files and say whether their contents are identical
(or better yet display the differences)?  I'm thinking of something like
the DIFFERENCES command on VAX/VMS systems or the PC Magazine COMPARE.COM
utility for MS-DOS systems.

Thanks in advance.

     |-------------------------------------------------------------------|
     |  Carol Conti-Entin   Academic Computing Consultant  216-775-8778  |
     |  Houck Computing Center    Oberlin College    Oberlin, OH  44074  |
     |  Bitnet: $carol@oberlin   Internet: $carol@ocvaxc.cc.oberlin.edu  |
     |          pconti@oberlin             pconti@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu  |
     |-------------------------------------------------------------------|

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Nov 90 7:18:12 MST
From: ASQB-IHX HQ USAISSDC <asqb-ihx@huachuca-emh2.army.mil>
Subject: Solution to 8/24 NTSC problem

Since I received more inquiries to the solution to my 8/24 NTSC problem
then solutions, I decided to post John Daspit response.  I am going to
make the cable this weekend.  Thanks to John for his resonse (I couldn't
get back to you directly).

----- Forwarded Message Start

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 12:05:45 MST
>From: daspit%zodiac@spot (John Daspit, C.U. LASP, (303)492-6951)
To: "asqb-ihx@huachuca-emh2.army.mil"@spot

Hi,
        Here's the info on how to build a cable to output NTSC video
>From the 8/24 board. You should know that it's BLACK&WHITE video that you'll
get out. A converter box (not cheap) is required to do color.
If B&W is all you need, here's how to wire the cable. 50-pin conector
to RCA type 'phono' connector:

HOOK PIN 4 & 7 TO PIN 11. PIN 5 IS SIGNAL AND CONNECTOR SHELL IS GROUND.

This ties a couple of 'sense' signals to an internal ground to tell it to
output at NTSC frequency. Obtained from a FAX from the Apple info line.
Hope this helps. John Daspit. DASPIT@COLOLASP.

----- End of Forwarded Message
PS Has anyone found a low cost means of getting color and/or genlock.
Thanks.

John Buono

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 15:58:17 EST
From: John Major <major@bbn.com>
Subject: Video stills

Does anyone have any experience using the Canon still camera
that puts its images onto disc? How do you get the video image
into a computer afterwards?

Thanks -
John Major
major@spcink.bbn.com
617/873-8165

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 07:39:11 CST
From: knight@swfmc1.sinet.slb.com (Francis Knight  SIEMUK )
Subject: Word Processor Filters/Translators

     A simple one, I hope:

     Our Vax runs a word processor known as WordMARC, which also has a DOS
counterpart. Does anyone know of a filter to add to Apple File Exchange, to
convert this format to Nisus/MacWrite/MSWord format? Does it work OK?

Many thanks,
Francis K

  Francis H Knight                |        knight@swfmc1.sinet.slb.com
  Schlumberger Industries         |
  Felixstowe, UK                  |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 18:31:06 EST
From: kim <DD01007%MUSICA.MCGILL.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: X11 Bitmaps

I recently got XBitmap from the info-mac archives at sumex-aim.stanford.
edu. It is meant to be able to read X version 11 bitmaps and convert
them to Macintosh PICT.
  At larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu there is a directory with the Poskanzer
Bitmap collection. According to the README file, these are all
in X11 bitmap format and "most of them are compressed". Does this mean
that they were compressed using UNIX compress ?  None of the files
have the .z or .Z extension. Anyway, I downloaded a file in binary
mode (the file was ai_3d_tor, a 7 K file supposedly depicting a 3d
torus). First I tried opening it directly with XBitmap (on the
Macintosh). Nothing happened. Then I tried to decompress the file
using MacCompress 3.2, which supposedly decompresses UNIX .z files.
I got a dialog box saying "badMagicError" and "Error decompressing
data fork of ai_3d_tor.z -- unchanged". Note I had to add a .z exten-
sion to the file for MacCompress to recognize it.
  Gee, this is getting long !
  Now for my (obvious) questions:
 1) Should I download the files in binary or in ascii (text) mode ?
 2) Are the files actually UNIX compressed ?
 3) Is there something else I have to do to the file ?
 4) What is X11 bitmap format ?

Apparently X11 bitmaps are huge text files (I converted a 6K PICT file
to a 110K X11 file, but UNIX compressed it using MacCompress back to
10K). Is this the only type of X11 bitmap? I don't know much about
UNIX or X windows, I only know how to use a Macintosh and an IBM (PC
not mainframe or RS/6000).
  Thanking you for any help that you can give me...

<dd01007@musica.mcgill.ca> or <dd01007@mcgilla>

End of Info-Mac Digest