Info-Mac-Request@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (The Moderators) (11/24/90)

Info-Mac Digest             Fri, 23 Nov 90       Volume 8 : Issue 195

Today's Topics:

      [*] asledit-plus-10a12.hqx
      [*] aslkconvert-10a3.hqx
      [*] Calendar Program: PCal 2.96
      [*] Calendar Program:  Smallview 1.2
      [*] CTerm 1.02, async IBM 3270 terminal emulator
      [*] desk-critters.hqx
      [*] Is it Molasses? or could it be Sludge?
      [*] mackun
      [*] macsunrise
      [*] Man2RTF.c - a text conversion tool
      [*] maxfiles.hqx
      [*] ShadowLink Version 1.0
      [*] Speedometer 2.5
      [*] Submission of PolarDA 1.0a2
      [*] thors-init-10.hqx
      [*] UnQuickDraw 1.0
      [*] util/mac-kc.hqx
      A CD I just can't catch !
      Creating files with resource PICT ID=0
      External Commands/Functions for Mac Programs?
      FilmMaker
      Findin a laser writer
      LaserWriter driver hang while creating bitmap font
      Mac fortran output problems
      Making the print server pause
      Please Post
      Preschool software
      Silver-Lining or Disklock
      SIMM price dropping
      Small Is Beautiful: The Ultimate Server Startup System

Your Info-Mac Moderators are Bill Lipa, Lance Nakata, and Jon Pugh.

[36.44.0.6].  Help files are in /info-mac/help.  Indices are in
/info-mac/help/recent-files.txt and /info-mac/help/all-files.txt.

Date: Sun, 7 Oct 90 22:30 CDT
From: "Ken R. Lunde" <KLUNDE@vms.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: [*] asledit-plus-10a12.hqx

	This is the most current version of ASLEdit+ (version 1.0/a12) by Hiroo
Yamada. It is a very powerful editor and runs under the English and Japanese
OS's for the Mac. Enjoy.

Ken R. Lunde
klunde@vms.macc.wisc.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/app/asledit-plus-10a12.hqx; 199K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Oct 90 05:32 CDT
From: "Ken R. Lunde" <KLUNDE@vms.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: [*] aslkconvert-10a3.hqx

	This is a program written by Mr. Hiroo Yamada which converts Japanese
textfiles into other Japanese codes. It is both in DA and application form. I
find it a useful tool, so I am posting it to info-mac. It requires KANJITalk
(Japanese OS) to work, and really is only useful if you are running KANJITalk.

Ken R. Lunde
klunde@vms.macc.wisc.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/app/aslkconvert-10a3.hqx; 45K]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Oct 90 21:55:20 EDT
From: "Gregory E. Gilbert" <C0195%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: [*] Calendar Program: PCal 2.96

Here is yet another shareware calendar generating program.  PCal 2.96.  It
is presented here as a self-extracting Compactor program that has been
encoded in a binhex file.  Download it, decode it (as a BinHex file), and
then double click on the resulting icon.  Note that if one is running
Gatekeeper one should TEMPORARILY disable it.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/pcal-296.hqx; 59K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 90 08:55:12 EDT
From: "Gregory E. Gilbert" <C0195%UNIVSCVM.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu>
Subject: [*] Calendar Program:  Smallview 1.2

Here is another shareware program Kirke Lawton asked me to post.  Its
called Smallview; its not quite as elaborate as CalendarMaker but is a
quick and dirty calendar application.

[Archived as /info-mac/app/smallview-12.hqx; 32K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 90 22:47:58 -0500
From: mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus)
Subject: [*] CTerm 1.02, async IBM 3270 terminal emulator

	A while ago, I posted a message on Usenet asking if anyone knew of
a software package that would allow a Macintosh to dial in to an IBM mainframe
through IBMUs 3708 protocol converter.  Sure, this protocol converter can be
configured to support most terminal emulators and terminals, but that requires
administrative intervention.  This software uses the default 3270 emulation that
the protocol converters are pre-configured to support.
	This software performs the same functions as IBMUs PC/Host (FTTERM)
software.  It should support the following protocol converts (and any others
that are compatible):

IBM 3174 Subsystem Controller with the Asynchronous Emulation Adapter Feature
IBM 3708 Network Conversion Unit
IBM 3710 PA-8 Network Conversion Unit
IBM 7171 ASCII Device Attachment Control Unit
IBM 9370 ASCII Subsystem

	I have only been able to test this software on the IBM 3708
protocol converter.  I do not have the other protocol converters at my disposal,
so I cannot guarantee full functionality of this software on those other units.
	This is a shareware product.  If you find it useful, please register
your copy by sending $20 to one of the addresses below.  This will enable me to
send you information on improvements that I may add to the program and bugs I
may fix.
	If you have any comments, suggestions, etc., feel free to contact me by
phone or electronic mail:

	Michael Niehaus				Michael Niehaus
	2800 South Main Apartment 209		Rural Route 1 Box 369
	Findlay, OH 45840			Ferdinand, IN 47532
	(419) 425-3032
	UUCP: mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
	CompuServe: 73760,171

-Michael

[Archived as /info-mac/comm/cterm-102.hqx; 33K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 90 10:48:35 EDT
From: jeteye@cbl.umd.edu (James Love)
Subject: [*] desk-critters.hqx

     Some weeks ago an INIT was submitted to the archive that placed
a pair of eyes in the menu-bar and blinked now/then [/init/eyes.hqx].
This INIT is, in fact, one-half of two complimentary INITs that were
termed Desk Critters by their author, and were generally available as
a unit.  Enclosed with this brief message is the complete Desk Critters
package: Eyeballs, Bigfoot, and a short MacWrite Document file that
have been stuffed/binhexed as a single folder.  Eyeballs is identical
to the eyes.hqx file now in the archive, bigfoot inserts a pair of feet
that tramp around atop the desktop (sort of like fish 1.1, but these
feet turn when they encounter the edge of an open window), and the Doc
file contains some rudimentary information regarding known conflicts.

     In the interests of sumex-aim space conservation, could the
moderators please remove eyes.hqx and replace it with this INIT package ??

Enjoy,
Jim (jeteye@cbl.umd.edu)

[Archived as /info-mac/init/desk-critters.hqx; 15K]

------------------------------

Date: 9 Oct 90 13:43:00 PST
From: jdfh0001@beach1.csulb.edu
Subject: [*] Is it Molasses? or could it be Sludge?

Enclosed is the program requested by Greg Trimper, it is simular to Molasses,
except this one is called Sludge (in a compactor file containing Sludge cdev,
source code and info file - below), version 1.0.  Nope, sorry I didn't write
it, and it hopefully looks like it's shareware to me.

-----------------
Here is SLUDGE.

SLUDGE is useful for watching and debugging drawing that takes
place on screen.  SLUDGE slows down a mac by using the Jump Trace exception of
the 68020 and 68030.  It is very simple.  When SLUDGE is turned on, it
will execute a 'time-wasting' loop at each jump trace exception.  The
number of iterations is specified by the user with the SLUDGE factor.

When you first try it, I recommend a small (less than 100) sludge factor.

- Kevin
-----------------
(that was a note from the author)

Later Dudz,

Jeff Masud

jdfh0001@beach1.csulb.edu
or (714) 827-2018 BBS
-----------------

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/sludge.hqx; 39K]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Oct 90 22:50 CDT
From: "Ken R. Lunde" <KLUNDE@vms.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: [*] mackun

	This is MacKun, a HyperCard stack which requires the use of Macintalk to
"read" Japanese text on the Macintosh. Enjoy!

Ken R. Lunde
klunde@vms.macc.wisc.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/card/mac-kun.hqx; 139K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Oct 90 06:55 CDT
From: "Ken R. Lunde" <KLUNDE@vms.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: [*] macsunrise

	This is MacSunrise, a HyperCard stack which teaches you Japanese. Well,
more like their characters. It is a demo version of a program written by
Wolfgang Hadamitzky. Enjoy!

Ken R. Lunde
klunde@vms.macc.wisc.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/card/mac-sunrise-part1.hqx; 291K
             /info-mac/card/mac-sunrise-part2.hqx; 273K]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Oct 90 14:33:56 CDT
From: "Norman P. Graham" <norman@d.cs.okstate.edu>
Subject: [*] Man2RTF.c - a text conversion tool

 from the response I've found in my mailbox, it seems like a lot of people
out there need this simple tool. Well, you asked for it and here it is.
[If I had known that it was going out to the world I would have used a
finite state machine. <blush>]

If you want to use this as a MPW tool, but you don't have a C compiler,
don't dispair: Just post a note to me and I'll email the MPW tool to you.

As is usual for quick hacks, this tool has not passed through quality
assurance. It has worked for the few files I've passed through it, but
those files have been the only test cases. With some luck, Man2RTF will
also work for you.

Good luck with it.
--Norm  <norman@d.cs.okstate.edu>

        Man2RTF is a quick hack to convert a text file to Rich Text Format.
        It converts some of the control sequences common in Un*x files into
        the equivalent RTF character formatting.

[Archived as /info-mac/source/c/man2rtf.txt; 24K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Oct 90 06:50 CDT
From: "Ken R. Lunde" <KLUNDE@vms.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: [*] maxfiles.hqx

	This is MaxFiles, a DiskTop-like DA written by Keisuke Hara. I like it
since it operates well under the Japanese and English operating system. It does
not allow one to launch files if running MultiFinder, though.

Ken R. Lunde
klunde@vms.macc.wisc.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/da/max-files.hqx; 130K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Oct 90 14:21:26 -0700
From: Christopher Kempke <kempkec@umbra.cs.orst.edu>
Subject: [*] ShadowLink Version 1.0

ShadowLink is a small application which fakes "aliases" to other applications.
It's useful when you want to be able to launch an application from two places,
or when you want to put a double-clickable icon on the desktop for an application
which has too many associated files to be put there itself.

It's free, and documentation is included.   Comments to kempkec@mist.cs.orst.edu

		-Chris

[Archived as /info-mac/util/shadowlink-10.hqx; 22K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 90 14:20:39 CDT
From: 252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason)
Subject: [*] Speedometer 2.5

Here is version 2.5 of Speedometer, a benchmarking utility for Macs.
This program runs various tests to evaluate your CPU, disk, and
floating-point math speeds and allows you to compare your Mac's
configuration with other common configurations.

[Archived as /info-mac/util/speedometer-25.hqx; 111K]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Oct 90 16:01 CDT
From: T303GREY@vax1.mankato.msus.edu
Subject: [*] Submission of PolarDA 1.0a2

This is POLARDA 1.0a2, an alpha release of a game I've written.  The DA has
two versions, one for color, and one for black-and-white macs.  In this game,
you're a penguin who's trying to push hearts back to his house.  You have to
play it to understand why this is difficult.
The game is shareware, $2.00 (or 300 yen)  to:
                Go Endo
                F228 MacElroy MSU
                Mankato, MN 56001

if you have any questions, suggestions, or bugs (this IS an alpha release,)
my E-Mail address is:
                T303GREY@VAX1.Mankato.MSUS.EDU
or (on bitnet):
                T303GREY%MKVAX1@MSUS1.BITNET

[Archived as /info-mac/game/polar-da-10a2.hqx; 52K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 90 21:09:16 -0700
From: eta@ic.berkeley.edu (Eric T. Anderson)
Subject: [*] thors-init-10.hqx

At startup time this init will load the colors from a PICT file into
your Mac's main screen device.  Use it in conjunction with DeskPict or
ColorDesk.  (ColorDesk is by Paul Mercer and is a commercial product
which is available from Microseeds Publishing).  Since DeskPict only
reads 'startup-screen' type files named DeskPicture, if you don't have
ColorDesk you will have to name your background picture 'DeskPicture'
and place it in your system folder.

New features since version 0.7:

    * Support for regular PICT files (not just PCT0 files) -- this
	isn't so useful if for Deskpict users but if you're using
	ColorDesk it's nice
    * Holding down the mouse button will keep it from loading
    * It now paints an icon at startup
    * Support now for selecting an arbitrary file (not named
	DeskPicture) -- works especially well with ColorDesk... but
	you can conceivably change the STR resources in the file to
	choose an arbitrary name
    * Works with System 6.0.5 (I had to patch InitPalettes, by the
	way, if you care about this type of thing...)

What's this?  A bug in 6.0.5?  Yep...  This is from my documentation:

The bug is that if (and only if) you're running Multifinder and you
run some program that changes the color map (like a picture viewer for
instance), the background image will not be updated when a new palette
is selected.  A fix is described in the documentation which you can
apply using ResEdit.

If you like this program then cool!  Throw a party.
Source code available on request.

Questions or comments:

	Eric T. Anderson
	eta@ic.berkeley.edu
	1904 Bonita Ave.
	Berzerkeley, CA  94704

[Archived as /info-mac/init/thors-init-10.hqx; 16K]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 90 23:31:51 AEST
From: munnari!runxtsa.runx.oz.au!johnr@uunet.uu.net (John Rotenstein)
Subject: [*] UnQuickDraw 1.0

UnQuickDraw
by John Rotenstein

Apple supply a file called '32-Bit QuickDraw' as part of Macintosh System
Software. This file extends the color capabilities of your Macintosh, providing
support for 24-Bit color video boards. It can also aid Black & White users when
handling color graphics.

Unfortunately, 32-Bit QuickDraw clashes with some software, notably games. It is
therefore necessary to deactivate 32-Bit QuickDraw occasionally. UnQuickDraw
provides this ability.

Due to the way 32-Bit QuickDraw is loaded, UnQuickDraw must be installed into
your System Please note that it cannot be installed into the System File
currently being used.

New, color Macintosh models released since 1989 (including the IIci and IIfx)
have 32-Bit QuickDraw in-built. They do not use the 32-Bit QuickDraw file, so
UnQuickDraw is of no use on them.

UnQuickDraw is distributed under the HappiWare(TM) System:
IF YOU LIKE IT, REMEMBER TO SMILE!

[Archived as /info-mac/cdev/unquickdraw-10.hqx; 19K]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 90 15:02 CDT
From: "Ken R. Lunde" <KLUNDE@vms.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: [*] util/mac-kc.hqx

	This program is called MacKc, and it is much like ASL KConvert, but
takes it one step further. It AUTOmatically detects the KANJI code of the input
file. It then allows the user to choose the outputfile's code (SJIS, EUC, and 4
types of 7-bit codes). It can also convert whole folders. This program does not
duplicate the file, but actually modifies the original.
	It is a nice program, and I am sure others who use the Japanese
operating system for the Macintosh wll like it as well. Enjoy!

Ken R. Lunde
klunde@vms.macc.wisc.edu

[Archived as /info-mac/util/mac-kc.hqx; 28K]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 NOV 90 18:36:36 GMT
From: AEIC0456%VAX1.CENTRE.QUEENS-BELFAST.AC.UK@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: A CD I just can't catch !

I'd very much appreciate hearing from anyone who could tell me how
I might obtain a copy of the CD, known as the Apple Learning Disc,
which Apple gave away at the Microsoft CD-ROM conference in Seattle
last year. I'm interested in one of the programs known as 'The
Electric Cadaver' - a dynamic anatomy textbook produced at Stanford.
I don't suppose anyone could mail me a copy !

George Munroe, Quuens University Belfast

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 90 02:47:02 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Creating files with resource PICT ID=0

To all of you who recommended I use ResEdit to create my startup picture
file.  First thanks, in a pinch that approach can work.  Here's what I
found out with special help from one person who provided a vital clue
about what was happening.

First, my objective was a FULL SCREEN 8-bit color desktop picture.  It
turns out that ResEdit (at least up the 2.0 version I've got) gets
indigestion trying to paste a PICT resource that large.  Oddly, what it
does when the paste is attempted is NOTHING (nada, blank window -- no
warning, no "insufficient memory", just zilch).  So, if I pasted a smaller
PICT than I wanted, it worked, otherwise no dice.  I suspect that at least
some of those who recommended this approach have succeeded with monochrome
PICTs which require MUCH less memory.

I suspect, but haven't had to experiment with, that increaing the memory
available to ResEdit (or Finder, or both) might permit a larger to be pasted,
but as I posted earlier, several kind people pointed out Giffer and
GIFconverter (both in the archives) which will do the job and other tasks
too.  I recommend either (both) to anyone attempting to create startup
PICTs, GIF files, or StartUp/GIF/PICT/TIFF conversions.

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Nov 90 14:12:47 PST
From: siegman@sierra.stanford.edu (Anthony E. Siegman)
Subject: External Commands/Functions for Mac Programs?

   Hypercard, MicroPhone, Igor, other Mac applications seem to have
provisions for adding user-created external functions or operations
which can be programmed by a user and then called and used from within
the application.

   Is there a standard Apple-accepted way of doing this sort of thing
>From within Mac applications.  We're writing and distributing Mac
applications written in Pascal, and would like to provide some way for
users of these applications to write their own extensions which could
be called from within our applications, for example to do numerical
processing on data in a text file generated by the application, and
then return control to the application (without having source code for
the application itself).

   Any references on this?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 90 10:16 CST
From: Carlos Turnbull <TURNBULL@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx>
Subject: FilmMaker

	I'm interested in finding people that have used or are using
FilmMaker the new animation program from PARACOMP, MM 3-D, StrataVision or
MacRenderman.

Please answer direct to me at:
TURNBULL@UDLAPVMS.PUE.UDLAP.MX or TURNBULL@UDLAPVMS.BITNET

Thank you in advance

Charles Turnbull
Animation, Digital Art and Computer graphics Lab.
Universidad de las Americas Puebla
Mexico

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Nov 90 15:08:29 HNE
From: Carlos Reed <CLRPFSE%LAVALVM1.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Findin a laser writer

Hi everybody!

  We have an appletalk LAN (back bone connection) divided in three zones.
  When I'm in the(third zone),and I lodad each server that is in each zone
  (three in total).
  I can`t print in the laser writer that is found in the third zone. I get
  the mesage ..I'can't find laser wrirer ....... . As soon as I trash the
  fardest zone (First zone) every thing comes to normal.

  Any ideas in what is going on?

  Thanks, for your attention.

CARLOS REED
                                          *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
    //|^^                                 |   Universite Laval        |
   . O O .                                *   Local # 062             *
   .  |  .                                |   Fac. Sciences Education |
    . _ .                                 *   Quebec, Qc.             *
                                          |                           |
  Bonjour !                               *   Tel 418 656-3245        *
    From:                                 |   Fax 418 656-7347        |
     Beautiful and Lovely Quebec          *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 90 14:28:36 -0500
From: fillmore%emrcan.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: LaserWriter driver hang while creating bitmap font

I was using WordPerfect to print a document to the LaserWriter (actually to
a disk file to be transferred to a Mac with a LaserWriter) and the LaserWriter
driver hung with the message box indicating that it was creating a bitmap
version of the font because the font was not in the printer.
Normally this whole procedure works perfectly, but this time I was using
a font called PC-Clone which contains the IBM PC character set.

Is anyone aware of this type of bug in the LaserWriter driver?  Is there
a workaround?  What font characteristics would cause this to happen?

________________________
Bob Fillmore, Systems Software & Communications     BITNET:  FILLMORE@EMRCAN
  Computer Services Centre,                         BIX:     bfillmore
  Energy, Mines, & Resources Canada                 Voice:   (613) 992-2832
  588 Booth St., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1A 0E4   FAX:     (613) 996-2953

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Nov 90 01:04:33 EST
From: Murph Sewall <SEWALL%UCONNVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Mac fortran output problems

On Wed, 21 Nov 90 09:13:32 EST you said:
>I am currently having some really big problems with the outputs from
>my fortran programs.  My programs run splendidly and the output appears
>on the screen as it was intended.  Printing the output or editing it while
>it's still on the screen is no problem but when it comes to saving it
>for use in Kaliedagraph or just for posterity's sake, the screen locks
>up and the only solution is to restart, thus losing it all.  I am running
>Programming Language's fortran both on a IIci and an SE/30.

I'm using Absoft's Mac Fortran II (on a IIci), but the problem appears
to have some similarities.  Can you copy the output screen to the clipboard
(that's what I do)?  Then paste the clipboard into McSink (I own Vantage,
but it's the same operation) or a word processor.

The other alternative is direct output you want to save to a file (usually
all I have display on the application's output screen are indicators of
the program's progress and diagnostic information).

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 90 14:20:25 EST
From: Evan Stark <EXSGC%CUNYVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Making the print server pause

We are using the AppleShare print server to control print jobs on a
network of assorted Macs in a university computer lab environment. To
have the server/spooler work optimally with a card reading device,
we need it to pause 10 or 15 seconds before printing the next file
in the queue. Does anyone out there know how to do this? Please
gear your responses to a non-programmer.
Evan Stark
The CUNY Graduate School Computer Center
Internet: evan@timessqr.gc.cuny.edu
Bitnet: EXSGC@CUNYVM

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Nov 90 21:52 EST
From: The Mental Ward CEO <BJW2748@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
Subject: Please Post

Hello Everone,

Here's the question of the day. I 've had 3 new SI users ask
me what is a "NuBus error"? They keep getting them. Another
problem may be SI's don't have a Nubus slot? Has enyone else
seen this before? Does Apple know? Is there been a Tech note
released on this yet? Post it to the Digest I'm sure everyone
will want to know!
Blair  J. Weiss		                       Bitnet BJW2748@ritvax
Rochester Institute of Technology   InternetBJW2748@vaxc.isc.rit.edu
Rochester, New York.	                    BJW2748@ultb.isc.rit.edu
Professional Student	              jokenetBJW2748@bricks.hell.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 10:00:51 EST
From: John Gontowicz <JOHNG%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Preschool software

 am trying to find out about pre-school software for my daughter who will be fo
ur in January.  Is there any titles in public domain, shareware, and also comme
rcial packages.  I am using a MAC SE with 40Mb HD, and 4Mb RAM.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 90 11:38:46 EST
From: jmiller@ccs.carleton.ca (Jane Miller)
Subject: Silver-Lining or Disklock

We have a lab of Mac IIci's in a public lab (not networked).
They each have a hard disk. I read Steve Lasich's letter a
while back about using Cirrus Silver-Lining software to lock
the hard disk and RAMStart to run the system from a RAM disk.
This sounds like just what we need.

I found RAMStart in the Info-Mac archives As for Silver-Lining,
Steve got his copy with his La Cie hard disk. My question is:
can I buy Silver-Lining on its own, and if so where?

If this isn't possible, has anyone tried Disklock. Would this
scheme work with it? (I know I can get Disklock from my
favorite software source "SaltSpring Software").

Please respond to the net.
Thanks in advance.

Dr. Jane Miller
Carleton University
Ottawa, Canada

jmiller@ccs.carleton.ca

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 90 23:31 CST
From: MCMAHON%UWPG02.UWinnipeg.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu
Subject: SIMM price dropping

Hello, I recently saw an ad for 4MB SIMMs selling for about $370US.  I was
wondering if anyone had predictions on when a 4MB SIMM will get as cheap as
$200US, $100US?

thanks
Robert McMahon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Nov 90 04:18 PST
From: BOB FRONT <T121267%TWNCU865.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Small Is Beautiful: The Ultimate Server Startup System

Having no programming background, I would greatly appreciate some help in
paring down System 6.02 to its smallest yet working dimensions.

Some Background:

I am teaching a basic course in word processing and graphics on the Macintosh.
Our AppleShare network has 10 MacPlus workstations each with 2mgb of memory (no
hard disks) and runs off a Plus server connected to a 300mgb hard disk. When
all the stations are running simultaneously things drown almost to a halt.
Packing all the software you're going to use on a startup disk together with
Ram Disk 2.11 helps speed things up immeasurably, and is especially useful when
using small applications like WriteNow 2.0.

I worked around the problem of how to put Draw II ( and its dictionarye-a
combined 632K) as well as all the System and AppleShare software on one disk by
compressing Draw II with Compactor 1.21 and having Ram Disk, on exit, open the
Compactor shell.  However there is no end to greed.

I have begin to strip away everything that is inessential, and am now looking
at how to hack out the ultimately smallest, yet workable system (compatible
with AppleShare software and usable on a MacPlus). After carefully considering
all systems from 4.2 through 6.06 with regard to size,features, and software
compatibility, I have chosen system 6.02 as the most appropriate system to pare
down. I have already removed all snd's except for monkey, all extra fonts, and
all DA's except for Chooser (needed in order to hook onto Apple Share).

I am down to a trim 218K and have faith that through the combined hacking
efforts of everyone out there who appreciates how utterly precious every byte
can be, we can trim system 6.02 down to below 200K. Just think how wonderful it
would be to have a system of less than 200K and yet one that was still
compatible with the most advanced software. Think of all the additional nifty
little INIT's that could be packed onto a startup disk with a trimmed down
system. Need oiled with a dash of greed is a great driving force.

Suggestions can be sent directly to me at my BITNET address and I will
summarize how (and by whom) the system was trimmed, and what it finally weighed
in at. Any ideas about ways to trim down the Finder would also be appreciated.

Robert E. Front                                      BITNET:  T121267@TWNCU865
English Department                                   FAX/Tel: 886-3-490-6606
National Central University Chung-Li, Taiwan R.O.C.

End of Info-Mac Digest